1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
foilman wrote:SomewhatONG...
Spoiler:

Hey! Farrah speaks Captcha!

That's worth a prize: you win a gold-pressed Latinum Internet.

ETA Papal Decree: Everyone stay cool and safe during this massive (Outside) heatwave.
Last edited by cellocgw on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

squonk wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
squonk wrote:Surely they have to introduce themselves now? With actual names?

It'd surely be interesting to know Queball's real name.

"My name is Jeff Albertson, but everyone calls me Cueball."

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Is there evidence here that beanie is a right to left language? She seems initially to have got it backwards and then switched.

I think this is supposed to imply butchered pronunciation.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

COMPUTONG!

(even the Beanies are looking at each other. Because they are impressed or because the know by ... instinct ... that the pronounciation was kind of blurred...?)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

That thing in the window...

IT'S A FACE!
THIS FACE!
Spoiler:
ImageImage

redundant
Spoiler:
windowface.png
squeeeeeeeee
windowface.png
windowface.png (17.66 KiB) Viewed 9891 times

ETA: for clarification
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

BLIXPOST

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:If I were creating a language, I would make my alphabet phonetic. It's simpler, and having a non-phonetic alphabet generally implies the creation of several different language origins, which would make the problem more complex.

This reminds me of the Chronicler in the Kingkiller seires (Name of the Wind)... having devised his own short-hand so he can write as fast as people speak. It's phonetic. That's all I had to add to that discussion. :oops:
Heart! Heart, heart, heart! I've been trying not to think about how long we might have to wait for volume three. :D

I knowww, I can't wait. Just another series I'm waiting on. T_T
Me, too ^~^ I really do prefer to discover authors/series when there's plenty of backlog to keep me occupied, though, just like I do here. Being caught up is great if I can hang out while we wait for the newpix, but most of the Time I can't so I prefer to be a few pages back. :P
For an entirely different kind of reader-agony, are you familiar with Kage Baker? For some reason her books have always been hard to find in bookstores, so yay for online shopping. I think she's an important author, and deserves more attention.

Actually, no.. I haven't. But from another avid reader, any suggestion is worth a look up! Have you read any Robin Hobb? :)

yappobiscuits wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Oh and here is my joke Beanie voice just for fun:

Image Sounds like some alien from Star Wars...

:shock: :shock: Or it sounds like REDRUM.

Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Right, so. I've recorded my voice a few times. Megan-1 and Megan-2 are the same lines with slightly different moods. Megan-3 is the "thousand lifetimes" line that BlitzGirl did, since it's nice and long and gives an apples/apples thing.

That's Wonderful buffygirl! Nearly perfect I think. We'll need some second opinions though. I liked the Megan-1 better. A bit more edge and backbone to her voice.

I actually thought Megan 1 sounded a bit ... snarky. :P Megan 2 was great, though!! Also, I like the idea of everyone speaking the same lines. So here's my version of the line you and BlitzGirl did.
Attachments

Valarya_Megan.wma [ 153.94 KiB | Viewed 10164 times ]

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:The following is dedicated to all those who despair of finding time for the OTC, much less for the OTT:

Some Time to Ketchup
(With sincere apologies to the late Freddie Mercury)
Spoiler:
Each day when I get up I read a little
Before I even shower or eat
Take a look at the forum and cry
Randall what you're doing to me

I've spent all these years on xkcd
But it was just three days in a week;
Now─
Some time to─ (Some time to─)
Yeah, some time to─ (Some time to─)
Can anybody find me some time to ketchup?

I read hard (He reads hard) every day I'm at work
Whenever my boss leaves the room
At the end of the day I rush home
To Firefox and a feeling of doom

I sit down at my screen and I start to click
But the Newpages all come too soon
Please─
Some time to─ (Some time to─)
Oh, some time to─ (Please─)
Can anybody find me some time to ketchup?

(He reads hard) I blitz hard, (every day) every day
I skim and I scan and I scroll
But everybody's gotta have their say
Why can't they just get lazy?

They've gotta comment every frame
I've got no chance
I'm outnumbered
And I can't quit reading
(Next> Next> Next> Next>...)

Got no ONGs, no time to coma
I just keep losing more ground
At the change of a pixel I cry
"Is there a molpy to be found?"
No, I'll never break free of the One True Thread
'Til the End of Time comes around
No────────

(Find me some time to ketchup)

...[long repetitious buildup to big finish]...
Can anybody find me────
Some time to KEHHHH────
Tchuh-uh-uh-uh-uh-up?

(Find me─)
(Some time to ketchup)
(Find me─)
(Some time to ketchup)

...[repeat and fade]
-- snip --

I don't usually post just to say that I loved this or that, but THIS :!: :!: :!:
It describes my feelings so exactly!
jjjdavidson FTW!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Valarya

Re: Ketchup: Part 1

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Valarya wrote:More cute stuff Image in spoiler tags. If you want to.

I love you for this

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Image

@Hairdo (Beardo): Dang, girl.. what kind of drugs have you been taking?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

I find it oddwhich fits the OTC that the translator person started out with a slang-type/not very common word. I would assumeprobably wrong that if you only know a little bit of a language, you would know the 1st grade text book words. I expected the long haired one to respond more like "a little."
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:So here's my version of the line you and BlitzGirl did.

Your voice is pretty close to how I've long imagined Megan's ;)

(I mentioned some several-and-a-half-hundred NP back that I hear her as read by Laurie Anderson, but couldn't find a suitable example online anywhere to get across what I meant.) I'd suggest slowing down a bit (or even quite a lot!) and making it a tad "breathier"... like "Neat" becomes something closer to "Neat'hhh" and "Wow" gets closer to "ohhhhh...Whowww".

Or don't, since that's just me trying to project the voices I hear in my headV onto your excellent rendition. But definitely slower.

ETA: Still can't find the clip of Laurie Anderson I have in mind, but here's another one that should get across the kind of effect I've been talking about... Laurie Anderson - The End of the World.

VAre the Voices bothering anyone? I can ask them to keep it down...
Last edited by mikro2nd on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I find it oddwhich fits the OTC that the translator person started out with a slang-type/not very common word. I would assumeprobably wrong that if you only know a little bit of a language, you would know the 1st grade text book words. I expected the long haired one to respond more like "a little."

Maybe she has good vocabulary but terrible pronunciation?

So who wants the voiceover role for this one? :mrgreen: After that hideous depiction of her speech, and her alarming appearance in the dirt pictures back at the survey tower, I can't help imagining her voice to be the kind of thing that could shatter that beautiful big window (assuming there is glass in it of course).

Oh and I also liked Valarya's Megan.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

W00t, in splitketchupping I just found out I saved tman2nd's life in the Acts of the Clerics! Awesome! Will I keep with them in the Acts, despite my death, as I do in the OTT? Will I keep annoying the Clerics in the Acts as I do with y'all in the OTT? Can't wait for it!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Nanoketchup:
Kazza3 wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Ketchup:
As for the voice-over - has anyone a list of all submitted voice samples? I'm starting to forgetting them and I'm too lazy to search for them in the OTT. :D

Thanks! Apparently, my memory is even more unreliable than I thought. It sounds somewhat different than I remember. :) But my votes still stay - yappobiscuits and Valarya.
Edit before submitting - wow, new Val's sample, now I'm convinced that's the best fit so far (of course from non-linear non-subjective viewpoint).
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I find it oddwhich fits the OTC that the translator person started out with a slang-type/not very common word. I would assumeprobably wrong that if you only know a little bit of a language, you would know the 1st grade text book words. I expected the long haired one to respond more like "a little."

Maybe she's trying to show off a little bit with a bigger word, but not too much.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Yes, in the next newpix Megan and Cueball will introduce themselves. Being unused to speaking their names, they will accidentally use their True Names. These words of power will reverberate in the great hall, causing the stained-glass windows to shatter and rain daggers of broken glass down on the assembled group. Thus ends Time.

Did I do that right?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:<snip>
And now, the "unfolding" of that tiny remaining fragment:
Spoiler:
What we have left is a set of numbers that expressed in base 3 are composed of strings of the digits 0 and 2, such as .002200220022... and .202002000200002... and many others.

We can match up each of these remaining numbers, the Cantor Dust, with certain other numbers, simply by reading them as base 2 numbers and reading 2's as 1's instead. So, for example, .00220022... matches up with .00110011... in base 2. Note that these aren't the same number, but the first can be transformed very simply and directly into the other.

But which of the real numbers, when expressed in base 2 (that is, by infinite strings of the digits 0 and 1 following the decimal point), have corresponding numbers in the Cantor set? The answer is, all of them! For any real number, you can match it to a member of the Cantor set by writing it in base 2, then simply changing the 1's to 2's and reading the result as a base 3 number instead. You can do it in either direction, so the matching is one to one. Which means that the Cantor Dust, the infinitely small and diffuse fragment of all that tearing and discarding, still contains every point in the original number line, in a slightly transmuted form or code. When we unfold the Cantor Set by changing the 2's to 1's and reading the numbers as base 2 numbers, we get the original set of all the real numbers from 0 to 1 back.

I was following up to this last spoiler, but after reading this last segment my head exploded. This is why I minored in math, it's full of crazy things like this :-)
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

She probably learned the language from book ancient scrolls.
Maybe she knows phonetic transcription, too, but too only from book ancient scrolls.

nerdsniped wrote:

Yes, in the next newpix Megan and Cueball will introduce themselves. Being unused to speaking their names, they will accidentally use their True Names. These words of power will reverberate in the great hall, causing the stained-glass windows to shatter and rain daggers of broken glass down on the assembled group. Thus ends Time.

Did I do that right?

Actually, probably: No. Now you have not only to ask Walter Bishop, but Harry Dresden, too.
Hum. Both aren't really good with phones.
Roughly 2700 miles bee-line between them. Maybe one day off would not be enough.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

HE THINKS? WONG!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:

Did I do that right?

Yes, it's awesome.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Molpy up for real this time... so while Hypatia consults her language notebooks (I'm guessing), let's see what we've got here.

I'm on board with the "levers moving the earth" motif of the window. I think that's real and deliberate, not just a fanciful interpretation of vague shapes. On the other hand, I originally saw the center half-circle as a wheel but that's not as justifiable. For one thing, a symmetrical wheel would have horizontal spokes more visible above the "horizon" line to match the upright spokes.

Other objects: books; no longer surprising after the survey camp but still notable. The spherical thing at the top of the (possible) bookshelf could eventually be very plot relevant; it could be a globe or a celestial sphere (though it lacks the trappings of most Renaissance-era globes, such as equatorial and meridian rings). Or a crystal ball, or a Magic 8-Ball.
Spoiler:

Then there's the chair. Or rather, THE CHAIR! Why the emphasis? Well, if this were a historical setting, that chair would be the most "modern," and the most potentially anachronistic, object we've seen yet. Furniture design is a branch of the fine arts and is studied as such, so there are people out there who could date the first appearance of that exact kind of chair to within a couple of years. I'm not any such expert, so I can only say it looks '50's to me, but I tend to late-date things. Sure, there's no reason why a chair like that couldn't have been made centuries earlier, but they weren't. (One reason is basic specialization: chairs were made by carpenters, so a design that would require a blacksmith to make strong enough was not likely to occur.) That chair should coexist with early jet aircraft, ENIAC, and the 200-inch Hale Telescope. Pretty clearly it does not, in the world of Time, but that itself tells us more about that world; especially, it suggests strongly that our era is influencing theirs, rather than theirs being an independent re-discovery of everything from scratch.

Then there's the really important difference, which puts us in the realm of completely alternative world (whether far-future or entirely arbitrary Randallverse) and not just anachronism: the physical and cultural position Hypatia is apparently occupying. (Pardon me if I prefer to base her name on her status instead of her hair.) An academic state of some sort? Time may tell.

redundant
Spoiler:
8ball.jpg
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Oh, I'm stupid. I finally get it - it's the Comfy Chair! So I was right after all... :mrgreen:
NoMouse on NP 1110 wrote:
Spoiler:
ETA:
Wildhound wrote:
SinusPi wrote:DescendONG!

(edit) Ah-ha, my first ninjanewpix!

WELL THAT WAS UNEXPECTED!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Prediction: Comfy chair in the next newpix.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
Molpy up for real this time... so while Hypatia consults her language notebooks (I'm guessing), let's see what we've got here.

I'm on board with the "levers moving the earth" motif of the window. I think that's real and deliberate, not just a fanciful interpretation of vague shapes. On the other hand, I originally saw the center half-circle as a wheel but that's not as justifiable. For one thing, a symmetrical wheel would have horizontal spokes more visible above the "horizon" line to match the upright spokes.

Other objects: books; no longer surprising after the survey camp but still notable. The spherical thing at the top of the (possible) bookshelf could eventually be very plot relevant; it could be a globe or a celestial sphere (though it lacks the trappings of most Renaissance-era globes, such as equatorial and meridian rings). Or a crystal ball, or a Magic 8-Ball.

Then there's the chair. Or rather, THE CHAIR! Why the emphasis? Well, if this were a historical setting, that chair would be the most "modern," and the most potentially anachronistic, object we've seen yet. Furniture design is a branch of the fine arts and is studied as such, so there are people out there who could date the first appearance of that exact kind of chair to within a couple of years. I'm not any such expert, so I can only say it looks '50's to me, but I tend to late-date things. Sure, there's no reason why a chair like that couldn't have been made centuries earlier, but they weren't. (One reason is basic specialization: chairs were made by carpenters, so a design that would require a blacksmith to make strong enough was not likely to occur.) That chair should coexist with early jet aircraft, ENIAC, and the 200-inch Hale Telescope. Pretty clearly it does not, in the world of Time, but that itself tells us more about that world; especially, it suggests strongly that our era is influencing theirs, rather than theirs being an independent re-discovery of everything from scratch.

Spoiler:
Then there's the really important difference, which puts us in the realm of completely alternative world (whether far-future or entirely arbitrary Randallverse) and not just anachronism: the physical and cultural position Hypatia is apparently occupying. (Pardon me if I prefer to base her name on her status instead of her hair.) An academic state of some sort? Time may tell.

Or this could mean that there will be no relevant upgrade in sitting tools in the next 11 Kyear. Or that this was the kind of chair they found in their postapocalyptic wasteland. Or maybe they just found the designs of the chair and made one themselves, not wanting to go through the hoops for the antigrav devices that were common in the preapocalyptic era. Or this may be a classic chair from way back in the dark ages and Hairdo just likes the design.

In thruth the chair is a disguised alien that's going to kill them in the next fewpix. Thus ends Time

he/him/his

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Not quite the same but, I present to you the renaissance cross-frame chair!

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

I've seen some speculation/excitement that Cuegan will have to introduce themselves now, but Ihopefully wrong really doubt that they will.

Dialog prediction:
Long Haired One wrote:Good.

Cuegan wrote:We come from the sea, it is rising.

Long Haired One wrote:Yes, we know.

Cuegan wrote:Why is it rising.

Long Haired One wrote:Let me show you our records.

I can see conversations easily moving forward without the need for a name exchange.
Voice of the Silent

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Haven't been keeping up with the voice recordings (we should put them on the wiki), but Valarya, yours is pretty neat! (warning constructive critique imminent! :wink: ) Thematically it feels like high drama. You portray a character that is caught in a state of wonderment, and you do so beautifully. However, I don't think that's Megan's motivation. She's looking at a bug. She is full of wonderment, but there's a tension there too. She isn't floored by it, rather she probing it. She's taking a simple thing that she's looking at and using it as an example to make a point, and she's doing so to explain why they need to keep going. I didn't feel that need under your recording. Picture someone you a know standing on a hill, looking at you with a dubious expression. A bug flies by, one you've never seen. In your soul is a deep driving need to keep going, to keep exploring, and you have to convince your friend that it's a journey worth taking. You know your friend agrees with you deep down, he just needs to be shown what's really in the world, because he seems to have forgotten. This doesn't require any affectations of voice, your pitch is great, and the comfort it carries and shows is great as well, but underlying it with that need and motivation will give you a cadence and quality that will sound even more authentic to what's being expressed in the scene.

As for the advice to slow down, I don't think it's about slowing down but you could take greater advantage of your pauses. Let the silence hang heavy between each line, furrow your brow, think about what you need to say next to your friend, when it starts to feel awkward you've waited almost long enough to speak again. Does any of the above make sense?

This critique brought to you by an (amateur) actor/singer. What were you guys saying about singers earlier? :wink:

Speaking of which, maybe I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'll have some free time tomorrow night for once (been rehearsing for a local production of The Music Man). Though I'll probably just do some silly character voices :)
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

sford

Postby sford » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Hi everybody! Molpy UP
Spoiler:
The King Cobra, despite having the word "cobra" in its name, is not a member of Naja ("true cobras") but belongs to its own genus.Aren't you glad you know.

Stupid real life. No time for conversation, either OTC-related or otherwise. Carry on!

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Re: Oh no! The one true map is broken!

Postby Flado » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Spoiler:
Flado wrote:While I am unlocatable in the non-future (NP 641, still chuckling at Vytron's comic), it has failed to escape my attention that the One True Map looks rather cryptic in your present, FutureFolk! See for yourselves:

http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.php wrote:This page contains the following errors:

error on line 79 at column 26: AttValue: ' expected
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Please take better care of the present, will y'all? Thanks in advance.

Anyone else having the problem?? I've just tried with an old chrome and FF, it loads all right (well, some fonts look strange, but that's not unusual for different navigators).

Edit: wow, pope! Cake for everyone!!

It seems to only happen when I'm behind a specific proxy. It used to work there too, but stopped. Maybe the proxy admins broke it. Sorry, edfel - I somehow neglected to tell you that sooner :oops: .
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Or this could mean that there will be no relevant upgrade in sitting tools in the next 11 Kyear. Or that this was the kind of chair they found in their postapocalyptic wasteland. Or maybe they just found the designs of the chair and made one themselves, not wanting to go through the hoops for the antigrav devices that were common in the preapocalyptic era. Or this may be a classic chair from way back in the dark ages and Hairdo just likes the design.

Well, yes, exactly! All those possibilities are examples of what I meant by "our era is influencing theirs" such as by having left artifacts, plans, or even just an aesthetic behind.

Wildhound wrote:Not quite the same but, I present to you the renaissance cross-frame chair!
Spoiler:

Yes, and there were similar Gothic and Tudor styles. But the differences from what we see in the comic, especially the structural differences in the historical styles that prevent those types from collapsing despite the curved legs being made of wood, are important.

Febrion wrote:
Rule110 wrote:<snip>
And now, the "unfolding" of that tiny remaining fragment:
Spoiler:
What we have left is a set of numbers that expressed in base 3 are composed of strings of the digits 0 and 2, such as .002200220022... and .202002000200002... and many others.

We can match up each of these remaining numbers, the Cantor Dust, with certain other numbers, simply by reading them as base 2 numbers and reading 2's as 1's instead. So, for example, .00220022... matches up with .00110011... in base 2. Note that these aren't the same number, but the first can be transformed very simply and directly into the other.

But which of the real numbers, when expressed in base 2 (that is, by infinite strings of the digits 0 and 1 following the decimal point), have corresponding numbers in the Cantor set? The answer is, all of them! For any real number, you can match it to a member of the Cantor set by writing it in base 2, then simply changing the 1's to 2's and reading the result as a base 3 number instead. You can do it in either direction, so the matching is one to one. Which means that the Cantor Dust, the infinitely small and diffuse fragment of all that tearing and discarding, still contains every point in the original number line, in a slightly transmuted form or code. When we unfold the Cantor Set by changing the 2's to 1's and reading the numbers as base 2 numbers, we get the original set of all the real numbers from 0 to 1 back.

I was following up to this last spoiler, but after reading this last segment my head exploded. This is why I minored in math, it's full of crazy things like this :-)

Good, then it had its desired effect. "Presto Change-O!"

It might be just a bit easier to reach an intuitive understanding of why this works, by considering higher bases. If you look at the set of all real numbers that have a "9" in their decimal expansions, for instance, that set looks like "most" of the real numbers. (10% have a 9 as their first digit, about 10% of the remaining ones have a 9 as their second digit, and so forth; so by the time you've looked at an infinite number of digits, the fraction of real numbers remaining is precisely zero percent.) And yet, obviously the set of "real numbers that don't have a 9 anywhere in their decimal expansion" is still pretty big (it includes, for instance, a lot of rationals like 1/3), and you can match its members up one to one with the full set of real numbers by referring to their expansions in base 9.

NoMouse wrote:Oh, I'm stupid. I finally get it - it's the Comfy Chair! So I was right after all... :mrgreen:
NoMouse on NP 1110 wrote:
Spoiler:
ETA:
Wildhound wrote:
SinusPi wrote:DescendONG!

(edit) Ah-ha, my first ninjanewpix!

WELL THAT WAS UNEXPECTED!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Prediction: Comfy chair in the next newpix.

Great prediction! Congrats! :D
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HES

Ketchup: Part 2

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

This took a somewhat large amount of time to ketchup
Part 2: 1112-1119

NoMouse wrote:
fhorn wrote:I totally heard organ music with this one.

The Phaaaaaantom of the Opera is theeeere...

This is as good a time as any to mention Lindsey Stirling. Classical music isn't usually my thing but she does good things to it.

Charm Quark wrote:Wow, ketchupping the last 12 hours took a full 1 hour. I am worried about the sustainability of my ketchup.

Yes, during exciting times in the OTC a full ketchup can be hard to maintain. 12 Hours is bad, week long trips become almost impossible to fight back from - this is why so many are lost in the past. Skip or skim if the need arises!

Moose Anus wrote:I don't think Beardo is in the castle at all. The drawing shows him behind it, and maybe under?

A prisoner?

mscha wrote:For old time's sake, here are my photomanips so far:

A lovely collection, mscha. I missed some of those in my heretical 111-page skip

@Blitzgirl you're being like when parents say they're going out, so you invite your friends round, and then they keep popping back home for things. You almost caught me sneaking beers out the fridge last time you posted...
I mean this in a nice way, of course. I apologise for the parent analogy, especially as we're pretty much the same age

Now I need to locate those voice auditions I couldn't listen to before... (I hate my voice, so will not be contributing)
Kazza3 wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Ketchup:
As for the voice-over - has anyone a list of all submitted voice samples? I'm starting to forgetting them and I'm too lazy to search for them in the OTT. :D

This is what I could find:

As a fellow lazy person, thank you! (Quoting the list for my own ease of finding)
Oh, and the reason I was away (and therefore why awesome stuff happened, you're welcome)
Spoiler:

HES, BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
And you know what? In the words of JD from scrubs,
I don't know jack
He/Him/His Image

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

With everyone doing voice acting I was inspired to represent the "Somewhat"oh.
It is probably an example of how we shouldn't do it as a voice over.

ohI don't think I will do any voice acting ever again :oops:
Attachments
somewhat.mp3
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Ketchup: Part 2

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

HES wrote:Oh, and the reason I was away (and therefore why awesome stuff happened, you're welcome)
Spoiler:

HES, BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
And you know what? In the words of JD from scrubs,
I don't know jack

Congratulations! (And welcome back.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Haven't been keeping up with the voice recordings (we should put them on the wiki), but Valarya, yours is pretty neat! (warning constructive critique imminent! :wink: )
Spoiler:
Thematically it feels like high drama. You portray a character that is caught in a state of wonderment, and you do so beautifully. However, I don't think that's Megan's motivation. She's looking at a bug. She is full of wonderment, but there's a tension there too. She isn't floored by it, rather she probing it. She's taking a simple thing that she's looking at and using it as an example to make a point, and she's doing so to explain why they need to keep going. I didn't feel that need under your recording. Picture someone you a know standing on a hill, looking at you with a dubious expression. A bug flies by, one you've never seen. In your soul is a deep driving need to keep going, to keep exploring, and you have to convince your friend that it's a journey worth taking. You know your friend agrees with you deep down, he just needs to be shown what's really in the world, because he seems to have forgotten. This doesn't require any affectations of voice, your pitch is great, and the comfort it carries and shows is great as well, but underlying it with that need and motivation will give you a cadence and quality that will sound even more authentic to what's being expressed in the scene.

As for the advice to slow down, I don't think it's about slowing down but you could take greater advantage of your pauses. Let the silence hang heavy between each line, furrow your brow, think about what you need to say next to your friend, when it starts to feel awkward you've waited almost long enough to speak again. Does any of the above make sense?

This critique brought to you by an (amateur) actor/singer. What were you guys saying about singers earlier? :wink:

Speaking of which, maybe I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'll have some free time tomorrow night for once (been rehearsing for a local production of The Music Man). Though I'll probably just do some silly character voices :)

Wow, that's really great jovialbard and thank you for the criticism! :D I'll admit, I was trying to sort through the Book of Aubron looking for the frame in-reference to the lines and couldn't find it in the short time I had this morning, so I was definitely 'off' on the motivation for the emotion. I just assumed Megan said it sometime around seeing something huge, like the wowterfall or the beanie encampment. Such is the curse of a shitty memory. So I was actually going for wonderment and it makes me feel glad that came across, at least. I did try several pauses in one or two recordings, but without the context in front of me/you, it just felt awkward. I can't wait to go home and try it out with your suggestions!

In regards to you being an actor, HELLO... submit an entry! I've heard your voice in Steam and I think you'd do wonderfully at it. :)

@HES: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! ALL CAPS AND LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS FOR EMPHASIS! :mrgreen: Here are cupcakes just for you:

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

TransliteratONG!

So the last line would be expected to be "- Who are they? - People we met. - They speak gibberish."
There's a couple nice matches between this and initial dialogue - ZL' reappears ("they"?), again coupled with 34'6 once. Also, NUq'.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

BabblONG

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:

Did I do that right?

Yes, it's awesome.

Thanks! That means a lot coming from the master.

Perhaps, as some have speculated, the language Cuegan are speaking is not really English and is only being rendered into English by GLR. Perhaps words like "Wow", "Neat", and "Oh" actually correspond to very sophisticated vocabulary, and "somewhat" is much more basic. That would explain some things.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:

Maybe she has good vocabulary but terrible pronunciation?
<snip>

This seems likely as I read the new speach as "Whence have you traveled here?" Also, I like her style if I'm reading this right. I love to tell people to "Go back from whence they came."
Voice of the Silent

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Wow, the newpages are being added quickly! More bellinis for me!

Have they got a flag? BlitzGirl, yappobiscuits
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Now that's a flag! That could cover a HUGE raptorcat wound! :D

A huge wound or a huge raptorcat? Image

All of the above?
Hey, it's an oysterkitty!
yappobiscuits wrote:Gonna need a huge thwapping stick then!
Now THAT'S a thwapping stick!

It's quite a small city... ChronosDragon, yappobiscuits
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>(That's future London, now mobilized due to the rise of Municipal Darwinism)
I keep reading that as Municipal Dwarfism. :lol:
And yappobiscuits, keep on keeping on - you've got talent and you're not afraid to use it!

Performance anxiety (voices): Latent22, ChronosDragon
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Perhaps it's the "sound-of-your-own-voice" effect, but I recorded an audition and then realized I had basically no emotion at all. I can't voice act :P Also I'm a bit young to be doing Cueball, I think. Though that depends who you ask.

Yeah it ain't as easy as you'd think. When you're not thinking about it and just talking to your friends it's easy but when asking yourself to perform on demand it's hard.
That's what she said! :wink: :lol: ...maybe I should slow down on the bellinis :oops:

In the space of 30 seconds Quicksilver, Neil_Boekend
Spoiler:
I gasped at the City ONG, tittered at Quicksilver's ‘They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!’ and clapped and laughed outright at this:
Neil_Boekend wrote:The city is something akin to Ankh-Morpok, but on a mountain instead of on a plains. There they will enter. After a few turns, Quegan will lose the Beanies and they will enter a wrong street, in effect committing suicide by robbery. Thus ends Time.
Magnificent, xir, bravo!
My poor long-suffering youngest daughter's only response was to blink.*

Now he is one of Us Tom17
Spoiler:
Tom17 wrote:You know what, I think I have finally spent too much (Or do I just mean 'enough') time reading OTT. As I was laying in bed this morning, I was rubbing feet on my molpy thinking 'Nice molpy, you so fluffy molpy. Good molpy'

Am I starting to absorb too much OTT or is this normal behaviour?
Oh, yeah, that's perfectly normal. At some point you'll probably start doing it aloud, too. :lol:

He's HES zoomanSP, HES, charlie_grumbles, CFS
Spoiler:
zoomanSP wrote:
HES wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
CFS wrote:What do they need hard hats for?
HSE rules. The first rule of the HSE is that you do not question HSE rules.
Health and Safety Executive - UK agency
FTFTUK.

I totally read your fix as:
HES rules. The first rule of HES is that you do not question HES rules.
And I always see an apostrophe in HES: HE'S. Along those lines, Zooman, up until you were hatted I though your avatar was an ostrich. :D

*A newpix later she made me get offline to watch a movie with her. Personal interaction, sheesh. :roll:
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:BabblONG

Spoiler:

Whence have you travelled to me? Maybe Hairdo learnt English from some very old texts and doesn't really know how to pronounce it.

Hmm, my previous hypothesis about ZL being 'understand' could fit with the new beanish dialog; they could be saying, 'do you understand these people? We don't understand them. We think they might be speaking Gibberish.'
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Seems she started out with "from where" but then decided on "whence..."
Spoiler:
whence.png
Go Minim go!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Whence have you traveled me?E

I'm pretty sure that last bit is "here", not "to me"

(Did I pass the CAPTCHA test?)
Last edited by mathmannix on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”