1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rvloon

Sample

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Ok, here's my contribution for whatever you want me to read out loud.

rvloon-sample.mp3
(787.53 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

As for the band, I am a base/baritone. I was going with the dialogue page from the Wiki, but I mixed up some of the Megan/Cueball lines. Anyway, it gives an indication. I could do it in silly voices too :-)

BTW, when I see the long haired individual (possibly gorgeous female) her speech seems also like those Tibetan dualtones. For some reason I also voice the beanies in my head like the embassy bureaucrats with clipped speech (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVpUER5Vbk) from Chess the musical.

Ronald
Last edited by rvloon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

sciakybros

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby sciakybros » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

*Post deleted for be excessively boring and OT.

Spoiler:
Last edited by sciakybros on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Now the obvious question is, how do they even know there is such a thing as "castle"?
From copying other sandcastles from other people when they were children, of course. The fact that eleven thousand years of such reproduction yields pretty much the same thing shows that sandcastles are a stable biological niche. They are the trilobites of the architectural world. :)
Jose

Or, oh dear, parasitic entities...
Spoilered because it contains spoilers.
Spoiler:
Sounds to me a little like the shopping carts in Reaper Man“Literal Metaphor: The overabundance of life after Death is fired means that it infuses what was only a metaphor - the idea of shopping malls as parasitic predators that suck the life out of inner city shops - and makes it real.”

Link to full article: (Warning! TV TROPES LINK! Use at your own risk!)

E 2 dips later (!) TA bold text in spoiler, to say what on earth I was talking about...
Last edited by BlueCrab on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:34 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:My suggestion to keep the postrate down is to avoid posting unnecessary things, such as following the non-comic-related suggestions of whoever's post happens to be at the top of the page, or announcing when you are waking up or going to sleep. "Molpy down" and a picture of a sleeping animal, if the entirety of your post, just adds to the clutter and does not enhance the experience of reading new pages of the thread. Not that you can't let us know if you want to, but make sure it's part of a post that advances some facet of one of our many discussions. We're not a chatroom, not matter how much it feels like we are (which it very much does, at least some of the time).
Edit to add last two sentences so as to not sound overly vindictive.

I like the sleeping molpies. And after all, they're generally in spoilers, so you can skip them if you don't want to see them.

Just my 2¢.

Very true. They're often quite cute, and sometimes clever, so I do in fact look at them. But it gets a little irritating when that's all there is in a post, since this thread is not the "cute sleeping animals" thread. There's probably a thread specifically for those somewhere on this forum, and if there isn't, one could be started.
I'm fine with add-ons to posts such as adherences with decrees and announcements of sleep/wake cycles, but only when they don't replace actual discussion-furthering content.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cshep70

Postby cshep70 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Been watching the OTC since newpix 8 or so, the OTT since wondering if some astronomers could tell us when/where Cuegan were based on the night sky. I registered today to say (and I've got no ketchup, so forgive me if this has been covered):

This is starting to seem like the OTT is driving the OTC.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

You know what I think clutters the thread, people talking about how cluttered the thread is and having long conversations about what should and shouldn't be here. I think that stuff shouldn't be here. :wink:

(In all honesty, I am starting to get annoyed by the infinity discussion, simply because it seems like people are just not doing their homework now and discussing it without really trying to understand what's being discussed, which is pointless, and a little frustrating. No offense if you fall into that category, just be more cognizant. People have offered links to resources for looking into this stuff more and a long discussion has already been had, look at that stuff before posting, please. Now I'm a grumpy Gus.

eta: but then I don't have to read that stuff, now do I? I think I'll wonder over to the linguists by the desert trays. Or, you know, the dessert trays, desert trays are fun too though, don't discount them.)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:<infinity discussion snip>... and a long discussion has already been had... <more snip>

I agree, the discussion on infinities has been going on forever. :wink:
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
jovialbard wrote:<infinity discussion snip>... and a long discussion has already been had... <more snip>

I agree, the discussion on infinities has been going on forever. :wink:

If we end up with an infinite number of posts in the OTT, and only one percent of those are about infinities, does that mean there are the same number of posts about infinities as the number of posts in the thread? :wink:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

It's nice how some of our grammatical guesses have been confirmed by Hairdo/Beardo's last statement. I think being startled at Cuegan saying they are from somewhere she doesn't expect people to be is what caused Hairdo/Beardo to slip back a bit in her speech. As to why she might be shocked, consider the relative population densities*. There are probably only a few dozen people in the tents on the beach (that is if the water hasn't reached them yet), while there could be thousands of people inside the city walls in front of the castle. It may seem to Hairdo/Beardo that they are a transient group.

*Rampant speculation to follow.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

This post contains lots of replies to jovialbard, apparently.

jovialbard wrote:On a side note, has anyone here not experienced deja vu? My wife never has, and every time I tell her I have deja vu she says "but this hasn't ever happened before" and I try to explain that that's the point but she doesn't get it because she hasn't experienced it...

*gasp* She must have been born outside of the Matrix.

jovialbard wrote:You know what I think clutters the thread, people talking about how cluttered the thread is and having long conversations about what should and shouldn't be here. I think that stuff shouldn't be here. :wink:

I actually laughed out loud. :D And I agree.

HAL, you're always trying to suggest how others should OTT. And that makes me sad. :? As long as there are no flame wars, shouldn't we just let it be its own machine? I believe most of us quite like it the way it is, else we wouldn't still be here 1124 pages later.

jovialbard wrote:eta: but then I don't have to read that stuff, now do I? I think I'll wonder over to the linguists by the desert trays. Or, you know, the dessert trays, desert trays are fun too though, don't discount them.)

Meta cupcakes, just for you!

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Just a brief glance as to where we are right now...
Scale of interior is just guesswork...
...as is length of hallway.

redundant
redundant
Spoiler:
redundant
castlein.png
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

I cry a little inside every time I see a redundant spoiler without a redundant kitty. No, no, it's not your fault, I'm a cute addict. (or weird addict in some cases, but i'll accept that too)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Hmm, did anyone notice that I posted a voice sample, or was I too slow in editing (it ate my attachment first) then I became page-goat?

Anyway, if you want to listen how I sound it's http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=44880#p3411330 there.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:Hmm, did anyone notice that I posted a voice sample, or was I too slow in editing (it ate my attachment first) then I became page-goat?

Anyway, if you want to listen how I sound it's http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=44880#p3411330 there.

Ronald

Yep, the latter, I thought maybe you were referring to a different post that you made in part of the thread I hadn't read.

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:
Rule110 wrote:All right, the overlapping words are creeping me out. Is there more going on here than mispronounced or halting speech?

It's from the perspective of Cueball & Megan's comprehension of the speech. When it's completely foreign, it's in a foreign alphabet. When it's something they can understand, the overlapping meanings appear all at once. Hence the overlapping "here/fortress"

That makes sense especially if the English dialogue is actually just representing another language. If it really is supposed to be English, not so much.

I've been leaning towards the representative theory anyway. Stick figures represent human bodies, English represents another language that is as familiar to Cuegan as English is to (most of) us (anyone feeling reminded of Tolkien?), 2-D slices of landscapes represent 3-D landscapes, not-so-large horizontal and vertical distances represent larger distances (somewhat like in a model railway layout), even crenellations on sandcastles may represent some other features that are conventionally added to elaborate sandcastles in Cuegan's culture.

I'm not quite sure if that makes me some sort of Randallversianist or if that is another kind of view on the nature of the OTC altogether.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

SorrONG...

I am sorry.
Your language is like those
spoken by the ...ffiou...
... but I learned it.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

sciakybros wrote:So truncated repeating numbers is only an approximation. But isn't that what you do in your proof?
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
Then 10x = 4.99999..., and
100x = 49.999......
Subtract the first from the second and you get 90x = 45, or x = .5

If you can only get that result using truncated 'approximations' of the repeating number isn't the result an approximation?

The proof does not use truncated approximations; the … means that the nines go on forever (not just as long as you can imagine writing or saying them) in all cases. Truncating would be writing 49.99999999999 without the … at the end.

But I'm not going to be sucked into this (and I would be sorry for mentioning the fact that 0.9…=1, knowing that somebody would probably misunderstand it, except that I found the response from Rule110 very interesting) since it's a fact that has been mathematically proven, and there is no higher standard of proof than that. So I will just show you this lovely song about the number 0.9... (a.k.a. wau)

I think that Hairdo is saying (not necessarily well) all the words we're seeing, but we don't see it as 'transpires… lives? uh… perspires?' (with blotches for pronunciation) because that would take up too much space. I think this is a brilliant way of representing things.
Last edited by Angelastic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:On a side note, has anyone here not experienced deja vu? My wife never has, and every time I tell her I have deja vu she says "but this hasn't ever happened before" and I try to explain that that's the point but she doesn't get it because she hasn't experienced it... :wink:

I could have sworn we had this discussion before. :wink:
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote: But it gets a little irritating when that's all there is in a post, since this thread is not the "cute sleeping animals" thread.

Getting irritated about clutter in the OTT is a bit like complaining about water in the sea, isn't it?
Go Minim go!

Bad Hair Man

Postby Bad Hair Man » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:It be an river!!!

Time is a river.

Image<-Blog~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Bad Hair Man - don't worry, you are part of a grand tradition. We like to get messages from friends in the past!

Oh my! A message from the eponymous lightning Mädchen herself.

I didn't recall ever seeing her post in this thread before, and a quick forum search confirmed it. This was her first post here. Page 214. The thread right now is all abuzz trying to decipher the meaning of the recent exchange atop the now nearly squarish mound:

Megan: Any idea where the river is now?
Cueball: Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week.

XonqNopp wrote:I think that what she means by "where the river is" is "what can you tell about its level"...

I think that what she means by "where the river is" is "where your boyfriend at"...
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Mystery Science Theater.png

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

"I am sorry. Your language is like those spoken by the Triffids [redacted] but I learned it."

Ok, so it's probably not "Triffids"... :mrgreen:

<edit to add> "Tongue" crosses language. "Apo..." (Apologies?) crosses "sorry".
Last edited by CasCat on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

akacat

Postby akacat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Oh dear. Today I started my ketchup 10 pages behind... and I'm still 6 pages behind. I fear this will end up a mini-Blitz, or I'll just have to time travel to the now.

HAL9000 wrote:
akacat wrote:I started my ketchup 10 pages behind, and now I'm 4 pages behind -- I may catch up yet! Meanwhile I'm sure you've all seen Beardo and the language is getting less riddle-ish.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I suppose that if we want to find answers to both of those puzzles, we'll have to
Spoiler:
wait for it.

ETA that our wait for Beardo might not be very long, but if we ever do figure out Beanish, it'll take quite some time.

My thought was that Beardo would provide a rosetta stone of sorts. Regardless, I found it mildly entertaining to throw a wild guess into the future. As far as I've read today, they perhaps have met a mis-named Beardo, and it remains to be seen if she'll be a rosetta stone.

mscha wrote:That would have been me.
I've done them when I had inspiration ... and could find a matching photo, which is rarer than you'd expect.

For old time's sake, here are my photomanips so far:
Spoiler:
np1382 - don't eat those molberries, Cuegan! (Also an animated version, plus one that matches the OTC speed. Linked, not embedded, because I can't nested-spoiler them.)

np1407 - yes it is, Cueball, it is indeed.

np 1424 - I had to flip the OTC frame for this one to work.

np1503 - I like this one the best, I think. (But I think I had zero comments on it...) Note that you can hardly see which Baobab's are real and which are the GLRs.

Manip'd around np1533, but based on an earlier np which I can't find - we definitely know where they are, now...

np1612 - you can see how my manip skills have improved over time. Image

np1713 - yes, I'm sure it does. (Reversed again.)

np1930 - ⁷terfall!

np2130 - entering the mountains.

np2323 - sure, Cueball, Megan will let you be a gentleman...

There are several manips you've done that I don't remember seeing before! I need to be more vigilant about opening spoilers, I guess. The second one is my favorite, but the Baobab one is pretty 4.

yappobiscuits wrote:
edo wrote:What's the thing suspended from the ceiling behind the door?
I think
Spoiler:
IT'S A TRAP!!!!

I think
Spoiler:
IT'S A CURTAIN!!

but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it :P

I'm sure I've been ninja'd, but I can't resist:
Of course it doesn't have the same ring to it. It has
Spoiler:
curtain rings.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

"I am sorry. Your language is like those spoken by the [redacted]. {It's} difficult [redacted] but I learned it."
Last edited by Whizbang on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SorrONG...
Spoiler:

I am sorry.
... but I learned it.

This thing about overlapping, related words being in the background - it suddenly struck me that this would be a realistic depiction of telepathy. You think in concepts, and projecting a set of words all related to a concept with one dominating would be a fascinating way to depict such a thing.
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Maybe they should try speaking ◇ instead. (That could be a common language both parties have a working knowledge of, couldn't it?)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Ok, I think there is only one way to prevent this thread from going up in flames:

Repeat after me:

Hi {person you've been arguing with}, I heard you're idea's and their definately good.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

I figured that the last word in line 3 was "difficult", which would make for a short word after "the." She put in a lot of work to learn it, and is miffed that Cuegan can't pierce her accent.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:You know what I think clutters the thread, people talking about how cluttered the thread is and having long conversations about what should and shouldn't be here. I think that stuff shouldn't be here. :wink:

Unfortunately, by agreeing with this I further clutter the thread. So here's some on topic:

With regards to the overlayed text, I think it is showing her multiple attempts at trying to find the right word and pronunciation, tripping over some of the more difficult words - which won't necessarily be obvious to us. It will come down to different sounds and meanings used in cueganese and beanish. I also wonder about the use of beanish punctuation; it implies to me that they use different vocal cues to display meaning, so while the circle may equate to a question mark in terms of meaning, it does not in terms of sound. For the most part, I believe at least part of every visible word is spoken.

I have a bad feeling this whole infinity thing can be traced back to a casual reference of mine. This would be the thirdabc distraction I am responsible for... cease and desist! :evil:
aDouble posting, because of this editong
bLego/Lego's
cThis infinity thing. Though its a 5 day old post, I think it got picked up in someones ketchup
He/Him/His Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant:

LOL! Very good Whizbang! :mrgreen:
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:HAL, you're always trying to suggest how others should OTT. And that makes me sad. :? As long as there are no flame wars, shouldn't we just let it be its own machine? I believe most of us quite like it the way it is, else we wouldn't still be here 1124 pages later.

I was going to state my opinions here, but you know what? It doesn't matter. You all will continue posting how you have been posting, and I will continue posting how I have been posting. If what I say makes you sad, that's not something that should be resolved in-thread.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Just my layman 2 cents on the new sentence (to get away from all the complaining about right now)- I can't help but feel that the "iffioul" is actually "difficult", and who speaks the language is completely blotted out because Cuegan don't know the word for that people.

... and I would love to know how the beanish period sign is supposed to be pronounced- and it is making me wonder how English pronounces a period compared to other cultures now. I never even considered the idea before.
*Insert witty comment*

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

(Blind post) Just ate a bunch some geekwagon weekend+ ketchupBIG (from sea is rising picture-time to 'Waed di yeao siey?') and WOW is it ever so tasty! So much going on! I am so excited and looking forward to reading all the language speculation, and who IS that long haired person?!?
Last edited by VoronX on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Oh, I forgot to mention one other thing about 0.9… (don't worry! It's about Beanish!) Another way to show that a digit or sequence of digits repeats indefinitely is to write it with a line over the top. But a line over the top is Beanish for a fullstop! So if I wrote it that way, a Beanie mathematician (bean counter?) would just think I meant 0.9. Then they'd be really confused if I told them it was 1.

Also, they'd probably think nobody was ever sure about their measurements written in Ångströms (symbol Å.)

ETA: Actually, they'd probably use the line as a decimal point, so they'd think I meant 09.
Last edited by Angelastic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Since I haven't seen a lyrical ottification in a while and it seems the OTT is in need of a little nostalgic distraction ...

Here's a little something for all of the Blitzers out there:

The River (of Time)
based on The River by Garth Brooks

You know Time is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a Blitzer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Spoiler:
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a raptor on the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never achieve a present presence
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
We must ketchup on today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance that tide
'Til the river runs dry
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
With Lord Randall as my captain
I can make it through them all
'Til the river runs dry
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Lord, I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Yeah

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Exciting Times, to be sure...
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Just my layman 2 cents on the new sentence (to get away from all the complaining about right now)- I can't help but feel that the "iffioul" is actually "difficult", and who speaks the language is completely blotted out because Cuegan don't know the word for that people.

... and I would love to know how the beanish period sign is supposed to be pronounced- and it is making me wonder how English pronounces a period compared to other cultures now. I never even considered the idea before.

You're all probably right. It's probably "difficult". But I hoped for triffids.... :wink:

As to how English pronounces periods, we have a slight descending-tone at the end of sentences, with a slight pause. That's the best I can do. (As opposed to a slightly shorter pause with no descending-tone for commas, and a slight rising-tone with pause for question marks.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

The cross-words (as opposed to crosswords) are interesting. We assume that Cueball are speaking English, because their language is presented to us as English. But we really have no reason to assume they actually are and that the comic, for the readers' convenience, isn't calling the smeerps rabbits ... er, molpies.

Anyway.

Could the difficulty that Farrah is having be related to properties of Cueball's language? Perhaps Cueball's language uses similar words to relate similar concepts. Sand/desert, for example. Could Cueball actually be speakers of something like Iţkuîl, with their relatively simple language being an indication that, most of the time, they stick pretty close to word roots for casual convenience?

Swein

Postby Swein » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SorrONG...

I am sorry.
... but I learned it.

I see "spoken by the ...affioul..."
Could it be a bad pronounciation of "spoken by the awful..."
Perhaps their terrible enemy that forces them to build big castles that are Wow (I never remember the proper index... :? )
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

I am sorry. Your language is like those spoken by the ...difficult... but I learned it.

Is what I see. I'd expect the first gap to contain "[name], it is" but there's not enough space.
I'm not sure if the big I's are because the word is easy, or because she's annoyed.

And, because our brains ignore things we see often enough,
HAL, in his sig wrote:I occasionally go off on a rant about some trivial thing or another. You don't really need to listen to those.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”