1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Is it just me, or is the translator's accent getting less opaque? It's still smudgy, but the smudges seem less black.B Perhaps she's beginning to pick up Megball's accent already.

For the record, I believe I'm the one who first called her Farrah, but I prefer the name Rosetta, despite her hairdo.H

Spoiler:
    Sweet Rosetta Stone, she thought she spoke in Unglish,
    But we see some words she missed.
    Her pronunciation's looking pretty junglish,
    J
    But Megball can get the gist.
    Less black!
    Less black!
    Less black when you can talk less wrong!
    L
B Lighter black?
H After seeing her called Hairdo so many times, my reading of Beardo has gone from "Beard-oh" to "Bear-due".
J From "jungle" or "Jung" ─ take your pick.
L -ly.

less black (color check confirms, previous bloches was pure black, now many shades exist), but harder to read, in my opinion.
WXEN(T) IS FoRTY?
ALLW NuXbERS ARE NO Shaxx.

My best guess:
What is forty?
All numbers are no share.
(note the "T" from behind "when", so interrogative mix up)
EDIT:(also note that Megan is probably showing Frizzylady numbers on her fingers)
Last edited by edo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

devrelm wrote:
I think you're right with "small" since there appears to be an "A" in the middle of the word, though I think it's "ALL" to the left of it.

"What is forty?
All my numbers are too small."

Now, what's up with Megan going straight for reverse Polish notation? What clues does it give us into the Beanies' language and culture?

that makes perfect sense, she's only learned the little numbers and so megan uses multiplication of small values.

ETA the ALL is faded so I wouldn't count it in the speech.

"What is forty?
My numbers are too small."
Last edited by SPACKlick on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Guys! We've missed an obvious extrapolation here: Megan knows multiplication!

...I don't know what the implications of that are.

Yes, but strangely, she says "X Y times" instead of the usual "Y times X"... so would that mean that she's intuitively used to the idea of multiplication, without having the formal background (multiplication tables, notations, etc.)?
Also, I find strange that she's using multiplications, when additions would have been (in my opinion) more natural. Forty? it's [raising ten fingers] ten, [fingers up and down] plus ten plus ten plus ten. You can't put both ten and four in ten fingers anyway (nor five and eight).
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
taixzo wrote:Guys! We've missed an obvious extrapolation here: Megan knows multiplication!

Yes, but strangely, she says "X Y times" instead of the usual "Y times X"... so would that mean that she's intuitively used to the idea of multiplication, without having the formal background (multiplication tables, notations, etc.)?
Also, I find strange that she's using multiplications, when additions would have been (in my opinion) more natural. Forty? it's [raising ten fingers] ten, [fingers up and down] plus ten plus ten plus ten. You can't put both ten and four in ten fingers anyway (nor five and eight).

Who says they have 10 fingers?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Rule110 wrote:One other aside @everyone; some might not be aware that the name Hypatia (not Hypathia) is a historical reference; it's worth a quick Wikipedia check if the name isn't familiar.

This is why I'll stick with Rosetta. Sounds nice, has some meaning (the figure hosts beneath something like a half rose window), is not as overloaded by special heretic history as Hypatia.

Fair enough, but what the heck is special heretic history?

Well, since Hypatia is not in our OTT history, it is, obviously, more of a heretic(al) history.
Special, since Hypatia is not a term used on several occations through space and time, but one distinguished person.
Rosetta outmatches Hypathia on NSA google hits 13 times (27M hits vs. 2M), but does not refer to a single person.

Maybe too much Thought® for a name. The main thing is: It has to stick. ;-)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Rule110 wrote:One other aside @everyone; some might not be aware that the name Hypatia (not Hypathia) is a historical reference; it's worth a quick Wikipedia check if the name isn't familiar.

This is why I'll stick with Rosetta. Sounds nice, has some meaning (the figure hosts beneath something like a half rose window), is not as overloaded by special heretic history as Hypatia.

Special history = history that's obscure enough for the average person to need Wikipedia.
Heretic history, in the context of the OTT: the history of the real world.

By the way, why would Hairpatiosetta's pronunciation of "forty" be so bad? Since she didn't know the word, she has very little choice but to pronounce it pretty darn close to the same way Megan did.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

edfel wrote:

She might be using "X Y times" just to explain it. Theres no way of knowing if Megan or Rosetta know what multiplication is. If I were to try explain multiplication to a small child I would use a similar method although I agree addition would be the first thing to try.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

Platonix wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Special history = history that's obscure enough for the average person to need Wikipedia.

By the way, why would Hairpatiosetta's pronunciation of "forty" be so bad? Since she didn't know the word, she has very little choice but to pronounce it pretty darn close to the same way Megan did.

Don't forget, Cuegan are clearly super-geniuses. They've never seen a castle in real life, but they build fantastic sand castles. They live in tents but can build very sturdy scaffolds. They live in a community of forty people but somehow managed to engineer a trebuchet. Rossetta can't just repeat a word perfectly after only hearing it once like Cueball can. And yes, Megan just invented multiplication. They don't know how anything works after all. They're probably gods that fell from Olympus and lost their memories or something. (Either that or this is the marvel universe and every protagonist and antagonist has "genius level intelligence" and "martial arts expert" in their stat block. Did you see Megan's stance when she smacked that molpy!)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

It's clear that Hairdo is planning on exterminating Quegan's people. Might she be a Dalek build robot?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:It's clear that Hairdo is planning on exterminating Quegan's people. Might she be a Dalek build robot?

Yeah, sadly this is the conclusion I was coming to. Then I thought about it, maybe she's thinking of teaming up with them against the hill people.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Picking a single word ("forty") out of a sentence in a language you are having a lot of trouble with is not easy. It makes sense that she had trouble pronouncing this word the same way Megan did.

When Cuegan learned "water", they were being taught a single word very carefully. TOTALLY different.

And this is coming from someone who is quick to criticize.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:It's clear that Hairdo is planning on exterminating Quegan's people. Might she be a Dalek build robot?

Yeah, sadly this is the conclusion I was coming to. Then I thought about it, maybe she's thinking of teaming up with them against the hill people.

Or she could just be excited about the Math(s) and/or getting to practice her Unglish
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:200 posts!
I bring you a Present Present:

OTTer Fellows
(based on Otter Pirates by yappobiscuits)

Spoiler:
Many wips ago in the internet
Some lonely xuys just did dwell
Plenty of comics they could read
They were silent, all was well

Until one day they woke to find
A comic that did change
More timeframes came by javascript
And the alt-text was really quite strange

But our OTTers would not give in
A plan they hatched, they worked all night
Newpixbot, aubronwood, geekwagon
To reclaim what was theirs by right

Now they’re a crew of OTTer fellows
The thread is all they read
They sometimes write off-topic
But the place here is really neat

The river’s small, the sea’s big
And wow some trees are called.
And they’ve begun to gift some cake
OTTer fellows, brave and bold

Then one frame they saw the rising sea
Some dikes as it reached the shore
And Cuegan started on their quest
And they’re left alone once more

But they thought “This needle-pulled thing is much too fun
Outside is full of tears”
They came to stay as loyal TimeWaiters
Now all will live in here…

As a crew of OTTer fellows

And they've begun to gift some cake

“We've followed the whole comic, at our best
But still we hunger for more, no time to rest
For we're OTTers now, there's only one place to be
So now we'll wait for it and we shall see"

They walked upstream for many days
Till the mountains came in sight
Analyzed all pixels’ change
No one can stop the OTTers' might

Now they're the rulers of the forum
Pride of the OTC
Don't be fooled by popes and lingo
They will ketchup as they please

They’re a crew of OTTer fellows

For all Time they'll wait for newpix
So long as the order’ll hold.
And that my friends is the tale of
OTTer fellows, brave and bold…

OTTer fellows, brave and bold!

EEEE! Image One of my OWN songs got filked! I can now die happy! And a really awesomeful filk it is too, I was grinning all the way through! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:
edfel wrote:

Who says they have 10 fingers?

FTFY.

Platonix wrote:By the way, why would Hairpatiosetta's pronunciation of "forty" be so bad? Since she didn't know the word, she has very little choice but to pronounce it pretty darn close to the same way Megan did.

I think it was Asimov who wrote about sitting with Poul Anderson for half an hour, trying and failing to pronounce his name correctly. "He'd say Poul, and I'd say Pole." My daughter's German teacher told her that if you don't grow up hearing rolled R's, it's verrry hard to learn to say them properly.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
But now I have no access to Matlab. Excel is oft used here and I use macros to concat excel sheets or sort the data into separate sheets. It was usually done by hand here, which often meant hours of simple repetitive tasks.

In that case, you're definitely better off dead. :D
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

I kind of like "Beanadette", which I like for the musical quality of the word, but Rosetta is the obvious choice.

I can count to ten in a few different languages, but don't ask me how to say "forty" in any of them. I might easily say that my number (names) are too small. (OK, I guess that was obvious, a class of things which I am good at stating.)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

She has gone for4th and multiplied; clearly this is a metaphor4 for4 pregnancy.

I can imagine showing ten fingers four4 times and saying 'ten, four4 times', and then doing the same without the thumbs for4 the base-8 version.

I can understand the difficulty with numbers; numbers (and letters) are the first things little kids learn in their native languages, but they're difficult for4 adults learning second languages from books, since they're usually written as digits and the reader doesn't have to think about the foreign-language pronunciation.

I thought the last word might be 'strange'.

By the way, has anybody checked the Beanish diacritics for4 possible commas?

4four4 (ten times)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

sford wrote:I kind of like "Beanadette", which I like for the musical quality of the word, but Rosetta is the obvious choice.

I can count to ten in a few different languages, but don't ask me how to say "forty" in any of them. I might easily say that my number (names) are too small. (OK, I guess that was obvious, a class of things which I am good at stating.)

Hmmm, reminds me of the first time we realized our daughter was going to be good at math. She was at most 3 yrs old, and babbling away, when she said "Two,two,two,two,two." Spousal unit said (just for fun), "That's five twos. What does that make?" & Alix, without stopping to think, said "Ten." Anyway, if you can say "ten" in some foreign language, it's easy to communicate "forty," by saying "sqrgl -- sqrgl --sqrgl--sqrgl." They'll get the idea.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

I can imagine showing ten fingers four4 times and saying 'ten, four4 times', and then doing the same without the thumbs for4 the base-8 version.

I can understand the difficulty with numbers; numbers (and letters) are the first things little kids learn in their native languages, but they're difficult for4 adults learning second languages from books, since they're usually written as digits and the reader doesn't have to think about the for4eign-language pronunciation.

4four4 (ten times)

Missed one, oooooo, now it's eleven times tsk tsk

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Do you carry ONGers?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

I can understand the difficulty with numbers; numbers (and letters) are the first things little kids learn in their native languages, but they're difficult for4 adults learning second languages from books, since they're usually written as digits and the reader doesn't have to think about the for4eign-language pronunciation.

4four4 (ten times)

Missed one, oooooo, now it's eleven times tsk tsk

Not the way I pronounce 'foreign'. And I'm honestly surprised that somebody found another four4-like word rather than finding that my counting was off. As a maths major I'm not much good at arithmetic with literals.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

You carry these people with you?

I think maybe she's asking whether they're travelling alone. Or maybe whether they're a travelling tribe.

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:You carry these people with you?

I think maybe she's asking whether they're travelling alone. Or maybe whether they're a travelling tribe.

Or there is some really serious misunderstanding going on... :shock:
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
sford wrote:I kind of like "Beanadette", which I like for the musical quality of the word, but Rosetta is the obvious choice.

Hmmm, reminds me of the first time we realized our daughter was going to be good at math. She was at most 3 yrs old, and babbling away, when she said "Two,two,two,two,two." Spousal unit said (just for fun), "That's five twos. What does that make?" & Alix, without stopping to think, said "Ten." Anyway, if you can say "ten" in some foreign language, it's easy to communicate "forty," by saying "sqrgl -- sqrgl --sqrgl--sqrgl." They'll get the idea.

They'll probably get the idea, but it isn't always that simple. My daughter is studying Korean, and apparently it has different number words depending on what is being counted. English has one, two, three and first, second, third, but if I remember right, in Korean you might have sqrgl dogs, and each has its own dish, so you have lgrsq dishes, or something like that. (Sorry, she's not available for me to get more clarification at the moment.)

b2bomberkrh wrote:You carry these people with you?

I think there is a 'Did" at the beginning. (And yes, that's how I read it, is it just the two of you traveling, or are all the others traveling too?)
I do find it odd, but carry used in reference to people is pretty common in the Southern U.S. "I'm leaving work early today, I have to carry my son to the doctor." (When said son is well over carrying size.) I'd say 'take' there instead of carry, and 'bring' where Rosetta used carry. Or more likely, 'Did the others come with you?'
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Platonix wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Ah, that kind of "heretic." The real (heretically historical) Hypatia's life story had some rather unpleasant and unfortunate connections with religion, so I was a bit distracted by that.

As for her pronunciation, some languages simply don't have the same sounds as others, and it's hard to imitate them when you don't have the practice in producing them. "Forty" is a great example. In Japanese, the "f" sound is somewhere between the English f and unvoiced h (much breathier and with the jaw more open than our f usually is); the "r" sound is made completely differently (using a tongue flap against the upper palate which makes a sound somewhere between our r and L with a bit of d thrown in, and which unlike our r or L cannot be sustained); and the r and t consonants (or any pair of consonants) never occur without a vowel in between. So if a Japanese person unpracticed in English tried to simply imitate the word "forty" on hearing it, it might sound to you more like "hoo-luh-ty."

Certain sounds consistently coming out "blotched" suggest that the Beanish language lacks those sounds.
Last edited by Rule110 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mikevonwang

Postby mikevonwang » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

sorry if this has been mentioned already, but something just caught my eye:

in frame 2804 when the middle Beanie says something to the leftmost Beanie, the middle one starts off with a single word, "AM2"
in frame 2845 when the group is passing by a longer-haired Beanie, the longer-haired Beanie says "AM2" to the leftmost Beanie before saying the now-familiar "hello!"

I think "AM2" is that leftmost Beanie's name.

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Japanese has the same thing with counting-words - so three stamps is "three-flat-things stamps", three bottles is "three-long-round-things bottles", and so on. The root of each is pretty similar though so you could generally figure out the number even if you get the counting word wrong (sampai, sambon, etc).

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

edfel wrote:HumONGs ?
Spoiler:

NO one expects the Beanish Inquisition!

Spoiler:
I really thought someone would have said this by now...

ETA: Here's what we've got so far...

R: Tell me where your home is.

M: We live by the shore, near a river that flows down to the sea every year.

R: What river?

M: It's a smaller river - not the one that flows from your land. We collect things that float down it.
C: There are people in the hills where our river comes from.
M: They don't like us.

R: How many people strong are you?

C: There are about forty of us.

R: What is forty? All my numbers are too small.

M: Um. Four ten times. Five eight times.

R: Yes! Good.

R: Do you carry these people with you?
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time!
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

C1 or C5, M2 (second version of the identical text)

jjjdavidson wrote:Post rate by time of day for the sixteen users who've given me permission to graph their data (and for me). User by user, these graphs show how a user's post rate varies from average throughout the hours of the day. I've added my own comments for each graph. PNG versions for the SVG-handicapped.

Thank you! Very nice analyses. And you got my location right (I'm in Germany). I don't know what happened during my weekends, though... :)

lmjb1964 wrote:I missed that Blue Crab is also a fan of tardigrades. I mean, how cute is thisI:
Spoiler:
waterbear.jpeg

You can imagine a little face, and eyes. (This image is from an article entitled "The Remarkable, Adorable & Invincible Water Bear," so it's not just us.) :) Although apparently water bears can be dangerous.
<snip>
OK, time to molpy down:
Spoiler:
(Yes, they sell stuffed water bears!)

IDoes the image show OK? Do I need to do the redundant spoiler thing?

I haven't seen anyone answering your question yet: I've seen both attachments, but they don't show up when quoted (see first spoiler). To get them in the quote as a picture, the person who quotes has to copy the address of the image from your post manually and wrap it in image tags (see second spoiler). Alternatively, you can upload an attachment (like you did), click on "Preview", copy the address of the file, and add it, wrapped in image tags (so that the one who quotes does not have to do it). Since your picture would appear twice in your post then, the original attachment can be spoilered.

I noticed that in frame 2880, Rosetta used a Cuegan (.) instead of a Beanie (_) period. An [heresy]error by GLR[/heresy], or is she slowly learning Unglish pronunciation? (In later frames, she used _ again.)

foilman wrote:Beware the people in the hills ONG.
Spoiler:

If the people in the hills don't like Cuegan, I wonder whether Cuegan know other tribes which are more peaceful, since they were hurrying to get to the Beanies as soon as they saw them, so they seemingly don't expect hostilities from all strangers. Or was Megan's injury becoming so bad that they had to risk it?

yappobiscuits wrote:
I bring you a Present Present:

OTTer Fellows
(based on Otter Pirates by yappobiscuits)

Spoiler:
Many wips ago in the internet
Some lonely xuys just did dwell
Plenty of comics they could read
They were silent, all was well

Until one day they woke to find
A comic that did change
More timeframes came by javascript
And the alt-text was really quite strange

But our OTTers would not give in
A plan they hatched, they worked all night
Newpixbot, aubronwood, geekwagon
To reclaim what was theirs by right

Now they’re a crew of OTTer fellows

And they’ve begun to gift some cake

Then one frame they saw the rising sea
Some dikes as it reached the shore
And Cuegan started on their quest
And they’re left alone once more

But they thought “This needle-pulled thing is much too fun
Outside is full of tears”
They came to stay as loyal TimeWaiters
Now all will live in here…

As a crew of OTTer fellows

And they've begun to gift some cake

“We've followed the whole comic, at our best
But still we hunger for more, no time to rest
For we're OTTers now, there's only one place to be
So now we'll wait for it and we shall see"

They walked upstream for many days
Till the mountains came in sight
Analyzed all pixels’ change
No one can stop the OTTers' might

Pride of the OTC

OTTer fellows, brave and bold!

EEEE! Image One of my OWN songs got filked! I can now die happy! And a really awesomeful filk it is too, I was grinning all the way through! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm glad you liked it! You know, it's somewhat different when you know that the songwriter will read your ottification...
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Oh and the latest frame seems to be "What river?" Making the (degree sign) = (question mark) quite certain at this point.

Huh, must of skimmed over that hypothesis when it was discussed. It seems rather obvious now.

Gedeon wrote:She has problems with:
(tr)aveled
dese(rt)
(tr)anspires
s(tr)ong
among other words.

No apparent problem with R inbetween vowels.

That's really super neat. Definitely shows that Beanish probably doesn't have similar consonant clusters.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

If I may bring back a very common theory.

Hairdo is asking if Megan is carrying any people with her. It'd have to be a small person to be carried (a child), and we can't see that person (in Megan's belly). Now it's obvious, Megan is pregnant and the OTC is Randall's way of telling all of us the good news.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:If I may bring back a very common theory.

Hairdo is asking if Megan is carrying any people with her. It'd have to be a small person to be carried (a child), and we can't see that person (in Megan's belly). Now it's obvious, Megan is pregnant and the OTC is Randall's way of telling all of us the good news.

Of course she's pregnant with a xenomorph, and thus ends time.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:ConfusONG number...
Spoiler:

Whaaaaaaa? I can't believe no one else has been shocked by the knowledge there are FORTY of them! They're probably worried sick about Cuegan. Image

<big snip>

Pride of the OTC

Lovely!! Image And congrats on 200. :mrgreen:

I've also been meaning to say 'well done!' to all the other manips and things I've seen these past 20 NPs. You guys are great.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

@ZoomanSP and yappobiscuts: That was awesome!

edfel wrote:strangely, she says "X Y times" instead of the usual "Y times X"... so would that mean that she's intuitively used to the idea of multiplication, without having the formal background (multiplication tables, notations, etc.)?
... or their conventions for expressing multplication are different from ours.

That the Cuegan people are in essence outcasts could easily create a non-romantic bond between them of the kind we are seeing. I wonder if they are like the Romanian Romani (thank you charlie_grumbles) gypsies in present-day France.

That Rosetta says "good" upon hearing that they number forty may have a different implication - such as if the Beanies are the ones flooding the sea, forty isn't too many to rescue. Or too many to worry about. But Rosetta seems interested enough that I'd go with rescue, given this scenario.

However, I don't think they've reached the source yet. If this is the epic I have always claimed it was, there will be some complicating factor we've yet to see arise. This will lead to conflict, perhaps in or from an unexpected direction.

I notice that the conversation is presently one-way. Rosetta asks, the Cuegan answer. I'm sure the Cuegan have questions of their own. I wonder which ones they will want to ask first.

Re: programming - my first exposure was in high school, FORTRAN on punched cards which we'd submit on foot to the local community college, and then come back a week later to retrieve the printout and core dump which would give us clues as to what mistake we made this time. The next year we got a modem connection to a computer that ran BASIC, and I learned how to program (back in those days that was not a contradiction), and I also learned not to program. But frustrating as it was, it was still useful, and I still do it. I'm pretty much self taught.

I still prefer to hand-code something than to try to learn some package that can do it for me. So, my wheels may be triangular, but they are my wheels!

Haven't had a chance to vote in the poll yet, but get to it. You'll just have to spoiler.

There were other things I wanted to respond to but I can't remember them now, and by the time I do, another seaish river of posts will pass the post! So, that's it for now.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
wizpretz wrote:[off-topic]
A question for the programmers among you: When/where/how did you get your start in programming? I am looking into learning programming and I'd like to hear your advice. I've read some of the thread on this topic here in the xkcd fora but I'm still not quite sure what to learn or how to learn it and I'd probably give more weight to what you guys say (even if I didn't mean to). You can point me to tutorials, other forums, or just give general advice if you'd like. Thanks in advance.
[/off-topic]

In 1978, when I graduated from high school, my parents gave me a Texas Instruments TI-58 programmable calculator. I spent the whole summer playing with it, and when I went off to college I was foolish enough to change my major from math to comp sci. I later came to my senses and changed it back, but I'd already learned enough programming that it seemed easiest to get a programming job after I graduated. Big mistake. High competition, low job satisfaction ─ everything you write is obsolete before you finish it. (But I really didn't have the chops to be a mathematician; I could only have become a math teacher.)

Let me disagree just a bit. You don't need to think of programming (or computer science) as a career. Programming is a useful skill in any field. Math, the sciences, humanities, ... Big data needs dealing with. Literature is analyzed using programs. If you can't write your own, you are at the mercy of those who can, both professionally and as a citizen. Learn to program, but find something satisfying as a career.

I agree with c_g. . .programming is a skill, not a career. Also: I've worked for over 20 years in the high-tech industry. The best programmers I know are not necessarily computer science majors, and the smartest computer scientists I know are not necessarily the best programmers.

To answer the question of how I got my start in programming: when I started college as a math major, I asked my father what he thought might be a good elective to take in my first semester. He looked at the course catalog and suggested this class called "Introduction to FORTRAN Programming". (Of course, a father would never consider suggesting something fun as an elective.) :D I really had no clue what computer programming would be like; I was heavily influenced by TV, and had visions of people wearing white lab coats, holding clipboards, and flipping switches on the side of a machine. However, I took the class, and immediately fell in love with programming.

At the time, "computer science" was still a new thing. I took every computer-related class the university offered - some in the math department, some in the electrical engineering department, and some (such as COBOL programming) in the business school. When I was a junior, they created a new "Department of Computer Science". By then, it was kind of late for me to consider switching majors, so I stayed with math. However, since the department was new, they borrowed faculty from the other departments to teach the classes, and of course they didn't have any graduate students to use as TAs. Since I had already been working for the math department as a tutor, and I was probably their most skilled student in programming at the university, they created the new position of "Undergraduate Teaching Assistant" for me, and I was hired into the new department. I even got to substitute-teach a few classes. :D It was a wonderful experience.

I went on to get a Master's and Ph.D. in computer science before entering that 20+ year career in high-tech that I mentioned above. (Yes, it's already been established in the OTT that I'm old.)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Gedeon wrote:ConfusONG number...
Spoiler:

Whaaaaaaa? I can't believe no one else has been shocked by the knowledge there are FORTY of them! They're probably worried sick about Cuegan. Image

I think most of us were TOO shocked to comment! That was a pretty 7 bit of exposition...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

I'm guessing it's already been pointed out that every time Rosetta asks a question, the final letter has a little circle above it.

I guess this shows that when she asks a question, she consistently uses the same inflection, but it is not the same as the inflection Cuegan are used to hearing.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@ZoomanSP and yappobiscuts: That was awesome!

edfel wrote:strangely, she says "X Y times" instead of the usual "Y times X"... so would that mean that she's intuitively used to the idea of multiplication, without having the formal background (multiplication tables, notations, etc.)?
... or their conventions for expressing multplication are different from ours.

That the Cuegan people are in essence outcasts could easily create a non-romantic bond between them of the kind we are seeing. I wonder if they are like the Romanian gypsies in present-day France.

That Rosetta says "good" upon hearing that they number forty may have a different implication - such as if the Beanies are the ones flooding the sea, forty isn't too many to rescue. Or too many to worry about. But Rosetta seems interested enough that I'd go with rescue, given this scenario.

However, I don't think they've reached the source yet. If this is the epic I have always claimed it was, there will be some complicating factor we've yet to see arise. This will lead to conflict, perhaps in or from an unexpected direction.

I notice that the conversation is presently one-way. Rosetta asks, the Cuegan answer. I'm sure the Cuegan have questions of their own. I wonder which ones they will want to ask first.

Jose

Personally, I think it's obvious which question they will ask first, it's the one they asked the other Beanies as soon as they could. It's the one they set out to find the answer to. "Why is the sea rising?"

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

OHONG
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

In French the number 80 is spelled "quatre-vingts", meaning 4-20. Possibly Beanong has the same structure of multiplication of numbers.

And 40 people of the Cuegan tribe. Does that include the hill-people?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”