1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

devrelm

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby devrelm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:Vertical word on second line. ELIMINATE? O_o

I think that might fit. :shock:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

She's getting comfortable, and she's stopped yelling at them, so her mumbles and errors are getting mixed in with the loud words that she's actually choosing more.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

PRELIMINARY.

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Why is "You do not know" not a question?

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

devrelm wrote:Why is "You do not know" not a question?

Rosetta is possibly one of a small group of people who actually know the reason for the sea rising or are causing the sea to rise. Either way, she is aware that it is not common knowledge, but a common question.
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

tavella wrote:Speaking of the moon... I know that everyone has mostly settled on that one date in 13000, and Venus and Jupiter do match, but according to Stellarium there would also be a full moon, which would not appear in the field of view, but should have showed up in the environment not being so pitch dark. Has anyone worked out alternate dates that match without the moon being up or at least bright?

(Yes, I know the moon could have been ripped away somehow, but that's a pretty damn extreme change and most methods of doing so would have likely wiped out most life on earth, and yet we have birds and bunnies and snakes along with humans.)

It's hard to tell if the moon is actually missing or not. The environment is pitch black, true, but not more than in day time. And Cuegan's faces were a shade of grey, so it could be caused by the moon.
I don't know of someone pulling up alternate dates, but that's definitely something to look for. The date fixes the longitude (america with 13000), so that's clearly not settled yet. I don't remember who had that python script to filter out dates based on planet positions in constellations... maybe it would be good to run it to have a list of dates to be checked in stellarium.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Doesn't need to be. "Oh, so you don't know. What a pity."

Oh, the right of Papal Decree is upon me. Conver#e in-on-with Rosettish tongue-lang##ge! :P

3Oh, I hit 100 one post ago. Go me!
Last edited by SinusPi on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Because she's repeating the obvious, not asking. It may be a cultural difference. Conversely it may also imply that she wouldn't expect them to know.

edit: so ninja'd it's not worth mentioning
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:

Rosetta is possibly one of a small group of people who actually know the reason for the sea rising or are causing the sea to rise. Either way, she is aware that it is not common knowledge, but a common question.

Alternately, it IS common knowledge in her parts and her statement is along the lines of, "Oh. You do not know. I see."

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Gedeon wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Personally, I think it's obvious which question they will ask first, it's the one they asked the other Beanies as soon as they could. It's the one they set out to find the answer to. "Why is the sea rising?"

Neat4 prediction! :D

I've just realized: The sea (big) is rising because of tides. Their planet, like ours, has a moon. Unlike ours, there are a dozen or so moons. Once every 11,000 years, give or take, all the moons align in such a way as to cause an extremely high tide which gets tide-locked until the moons no longer align.

Yeah, I know that violates a few laws of physics, but so what :D

True, and with all moons aligned it's even slightly possible that we saw none of them during the night.

Okay, but we did see a meteor. That could actually be significant.
Suppose their world does NOT have a moon, or maybe it's earth, but the moon was long taken as an inter-stellar travelling platform by the advanced humans, and only few were left behind on the earth without a moon.
Anyway: no moon & no real tide for centuries.
But now, a large object is getting close to their planet, meteors appear, and the sea begins to rise...
Maybe the beanie telescopes will be aimed upwards soon.

Aaaand, we're back in Anathem Land. Launch the monyfeeks. (Sorry, I forgot how he spelled it)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

devrelm wrote:"YOU DO NOT KNOW.

I N[...] [...]SE."

It looks like there's a vertical "[...]EL[...]NA[...]" behind the last word of the second line.

"I M THE [GSSS]E" maybe?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

There aren't really that many words in English that end in "-sse," is there a chance that one of those s's isn't an "s"?

I think I'm going to go with the last word as "see" and the word before that ends in "-gs"
Last edited by a_s_h_e_n on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

You did not know. I left a message (exterminate).
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
devrelm wrote:"YOU DO NOT KNOW.

I N[...] [...]SE."

It looks like there's a vertical "[...]EL[...]NA[...]" behind the last word of the second line.

"I M THE [GSSS]E" maybe?

I am the walrus.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:

Alternately, it IS common knowledge in her parts and her statement is along the lines of, "Oh. You do not know. I see."

Didn't we decide the line across the top of the last character was an exclamation mark? Or is that only if there's more than one?

Possible reasons for "You do not know!" are roughly the same as for "You do not know?"; she'd just be remarking on the surprising fact instead of questioning it. Perhaps she assumed people living by the sea could tell what was happening, maybe due to a more basic assumption that such people would know more about the sea than "it's big and does what it wants." Or maybe, if the Beanies are causing it, she assumed they had come to Beanieville because they knew the Beanies were causing it.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Did not know...
Attachments
7a4a0d40365686d63c4f6282a625b75f519097d9b03807681db97bc51a750bad_l_cr.png
7a4a0d40365686d63c4f6282a625b75f519097d9b03807681db97bc51a750bad_cr.png
7a4a0d40365686d63c4f6282a625b75f519097d9b03807681db97bc51a750bad_cr.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 15672 times
It's about time.

gga2

Postby gga2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Hi! Lurking since they met the beans. I sharpened the image, and a few letters came out more clear. I'm getting: You do not know. I M_____GUISSE fitting pretty well. That is 5 blanks in there, although it seems likely there is at least one space. The GU seemed pretty clear, but that only leaves a narrow space afterwards, hence the I. Not sure what kind of word that would be. Does someone have a good Scrabble dictionary?

Preliminary as a cross word fits the darker lines very well. Is there a synonymn that fits a word that looks/sounds like ...guisse?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

"You do not know? Good, it is a closely guarded secret and anyone who knows must be eliminated". There :mrgreen:

And seeing as nobody got this:
yappobiscuits wrote:Also, if anyone can figure out which real-world mountain I based the shape of the main one (the one with the castle) on, you get a prize (probably cake-based).

(it was a long shot anyway)...
Spoiler:
It's Skiddaw, here in the Lake District. Fourth highest mountain in England (the top 10 highest in the country are all in the Lake District). It's a long ridge sort of shape, so when viewed from the south (end-on) it has a more typical mountain peak shape, but when viewed from the west (side-on) like here it has a flat-looking top with a shoulder to the north and a subsidiary peak (the "Little Man") to the south. You can see it from my house - I took this photo from the small hill next to my village, looking out east:
skiddaw.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:There aren't really that many words in English that end in "-sse,"

Code: Select all

grep -i 'sse$' /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge

Spoiler:
Auxvasse
Barbusse
Bellechasse
Fosse
Gosse
Hasse
Hesse
Hiwasse
Jesse
Kosse
Larousse
Lyonnesse
Matisse
Molasse
Montparnasse
Neisse
Suisse
Wilhelmstrasse
abscisse
altesse
bagasse
ballanwrasse
basse
bouillabaisse
bretesse
bécasse
cesse
commesse
coulisse
crevasse
crosse
cuisse
demitasse
desse
duchesse
duresse
esquisse
esse
fesse
filasse
finesse
fosse
fougasse
gentilesse
heathenesse
humblesse
idlesse
impasse
ivresse
jesse
kermesse
lacrosse
laisse
lampasse
largesse
matelasse
matellasse
megasse
mousse
métisse
nisse
noblesse
paillasse
palliasse
pavisse
pelisse
politesse
porpesse
portesse
posse
princesse
rascasse
rasse
reredosse
richesse
rubasse
sasse
saucisse
simplesse
tasse
tendresse
tirasse
tristesse
vicomtesse
vinasse
vitesse
wrasse
(Not that this helps...)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

(Somewhat blind post)

Valarya wrote:It does look like she sat or leaned back at the very end there, as if in surprise. But her last text looks like Beanish again. Perhaps she was so shocked she slipped into her native tongue on accident. Huh!

I think she said the Beanish equiv of "sh*t". I.e. it is something her people are doing which is causing the sea to rapidly rise. They didn't think anybody lived there, and now she is realizing that they are responsible for rendering 40 innocents homeless.

Have we talked about Rosetta's probably position/job/whatever? The grandness of the hall suggests some kind of political leader. But why would she bring herself down to Megball-level? Ditto military leader. Maybe the desk is a drawing table and she's an architect? Too simplistic an assumption; just because the castle is under construction doesn't mean that the first desk we see is for an architect. I'm thinking that she's maybe a professor or something. Doesn't need the same degree of deference as a political leader, but reasonably well-known as an educated person.

Thoughts?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
3Oh, I hit 100 one post ago. Go me!

Congratulations! Have some cake: Image

(I tried to find linguistics, or syllabics cakes, but the bakery doesn't seem to have any, so this will have to do.)
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
SinusPi wrote:3Oh, I hit 100 one post ago. Go me!
Congratulations! Have some cake:
Spoiler:
Squeee! A Pi for this humble sine! I'm positively phase-translated.
Last edited by SinusPi on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

More cake for SinusPi! Happy 100th!
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

sford wrote:Have we talked about Rosetta's probably position/job/whatever? The grandness of the hall suggests some kind of political leader. But why would she bring herself down to Megball-level? Ditto military leader. Maybe the desk is a drawing table and she's an architect? Too simplistic an assumption; just because the castle is under construction doesn't mean that the first desk we see is for an architect. I'm thinking that she's maybe a professor or something. Doesn't need the same degree of deference as a political leader, but reasonably well-known as an educated person.

Thoughts?

I think I go with the theory that the castle isn't the Beanies' and was build before their time, and they're just making use of it. The hall was probably designed with a much grander purpose in mind than an office, but that's what it's being used as out of convenience, and Rosetta is indeed some kind of professor/librarian.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:

My interpretation is that Rosetta thinks it is common knowledge to MOST people what's causing the sea to rise, and that she realized Cuegan's small group of forty people are still unaware.

Here's a theory: something apocalyptic is about to happen to the planet -- like the sun is going to go supernova soon, or an asteroid is approaching on a collision course. Maybe most of the people have evacuated already, and the only people left are scientists who are setting up equipment to study the disaster. Then these two people come walking up the mountain, much to the surprise of the scientists (beanies). The scientists take the people to someone who understands other languages. He/she learns that there's a group of about 40 people unaccounted for in the evacuation.

If he's lucky, Cueball will learn to play the flute. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

sford wrote:Have we talked about Rosetta's probably position/job/whatever? The grandness of the hall suggests some kind of political leader. But why would she bring herself down to Megball-level? Ditto military leader. Maybe the desk is a drawing table and she's an architect? Too simplistic an assumption; just because the castle is under construction doesn't mean that the first desk we see is for an architect. I'm thinking that she's maybe a professor or something. Doesn't need the same degree of deference as a political leader, but reasonably well-known as an educated person.

Thoughts?

Here's a seaish post discussing what we can guess:

Rule110 wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Then there's the really important difference, which puts us in the realm of completely alternative world (whether far-future or entirely arbitrary Randallverse) and not just anachronism: the physical and cultural position Hypatia is apparently occupying. (Pardon me if I prefer to base her name on her status instead of her hair.) An academic state of some sort? Time may tell.

I for one definitely appreciate your philosophy on naming. Not that her hair isn't distinctive, but it's far from the only remarkable thing about her. I'm curious though why her physical/cultural position signifies a completely alternative world?

Well, her physical position is within a grand and yet well-protected room, past an even larger "great hall" of some sort, within a castle. Such rooms are scaled to house the daytime activities of the apparatus of a city or a larger state: a throne, functionaries, guards, courtiers and so forth. Our subject, though, instead uses this space as her private office. Being able to do so demonstrates a position of high authority and/or respect; a regional governor, queen, or high priestess, perhaps; and yet her solitude is uncharacteristic of such a position. A high priestess might spend time in seclusion if the practices of the religion so demand, and a potentate might do so out of personal preference (think Howard Hughes), but the three Beanies were obviously permitted to just walk in. Such accessible solitude would be more fitting someone working on an important but largely solitary task, such as an academic. I could perhaps make a comparison to Hogwarts, if the entire dining hall were instead used solely as the entryway to Dumbledore's office; but even that's fictional to begin with.

That's what suggested an unusual social order here that's not much like anything we know from history. (By the way, that has nothing to do with her gender -- which we don't even know for certain anyhow -- if that's what you were asking.)

Another possibility, though, that some people have mentioned since then, is that the castle is in some sort of temporary state of partial occupancy, and not actually being used for the purpose it was originally built and proportioned for. Our Hypatia could, perhaps, be the equivalent of the lead architect or project manager of the contractors doing the construction, and merely occupying the "throne room" for convenience. (In that case, one hopes that the exit toward the right leads directly to the construction zone, rather than the workers having to walk all the way along that hall every time they need a purchase order signed.) Or truly an academic auxiliary (comparable to the archaeologists sometimes assigned to construction sites, or the curator of a historical site), permitted to use otherwise unused space. That wouldn't tell us much about the Beanies' general culture, in those cases.

One other aside @everyone; some might not be aware that the name Hypatia (not Hypathia) is a historical reference; it's worth a quick Wikipedia check if the name isn't familiar.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
JudeMorrigan wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:

My interpretation is that Rosetta thinks it is common knowledge to MOST people what's causing the sea to rise, and that she realized Cuegan's small group of forty people are still unaware.

Here's a theory: something apocalyptic is about to happen to the planet -- like the sun is going to go supernova soon, or an asteroid is approaching on a collision course. Maybe most of the people have evacuated already, and the only people left are scientists who are setting up equipment to study the disaster. Then these two people come walking up the mountain, much to the surprise of the scientists (beanies). The scientists take the people to someone who understands other languages. He/she learns that there's a group of about 40 people unaccounted for in the evacuation.

If he's lucky, Cueball will learn to play the flute. :D

Would an asteroid cause the tides to rise?

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:<snip>

Would an asteroid cause the tides to rise?

Apart from ...
Spoiler:

I'd say: no.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:There aren't really that many words in English that end in "-sse,"

grep -i 'sse$' /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge

Spoiler:
Auxvasse
Barbusse
Bellechasse
Fosse
Gosse
Hasse
Hesse
Hiwasse
Jesse
Kosse
Larousse
Lyonnesse
Matisse
Molasse
Montparnasse
Neisse
Suisse
Wilhelmstrasse
abscisse
altesse
bagasse
ballanwrasse
basse
bouillabaisse
bretesse
bécasse
cesse
commesse
coulisse
crevasse
crosse
cuisse
demitasse
desse
duchesse
duresse
esquisse
esse
fesse
filasse
finesse
fosse
fougasse
gentilesse
heathenesse
humblesse
idlesse
impasse
ivresse
jesse
kermesse
lacrosse
laisse
lampasse
largesse
matelasse
matellasse
megasse
mousse
métisse
nisse
noblesse
paillasse
palliasse
pavisse
pelisse
politesse
porpesse
portesse
posse
princesse
rascasse
rasse
reredosse
richesse
rubasse
sasse
saucisse
simplesse
tasse
tendresse
tirasse
tristesse
vicomtesse
vinasse
vitesse
wrasse
(Not that this helps...)

Actually, I think "IMPASSE" works well...

Now cross reference the words above with their synonyms that contain the letters in the background...
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

Perhaps yappobiscuits is right, and it isn't their castle. In which case they may be archaeologists, and she may be in charge of the dig...

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Ash nazg durbatuluk
ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrambatuluk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

It occurs to me that, since this is another segment that's opaque to Cuegan, the word that's buried in there might not even be a relevant word if Rosetta's getting her vocab mixed up.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Perhaps yappobiscuits is right, and it isn't their castle. In which case they may be archaeologists, and she may be in charge of the dig...

The sea has risen before, and they're trying to figure out why, or how high it got, or what the Fortress-makers did to stop the flood

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Scene 18

[helicopter shot: exterior, dawn. Looking down at tman2nd kneeling at the remains of Neil_Boekend] as the first rays of sun glance across the surface of the ground. The camera pulls up and back to show more of the camp, and an approaching party led by the Pope. There are areas which are littered with dead molpies, and other areas that are untouched. The camera swings around towards the rear of the approaching party as it reaches tman2nd.[medium shot: tman2nd], filled with sadness and resignation. The Pope enters the picture from behind the camera.
The Pope wrote:tman? tman2nd - is that you?
tman2nd does not look up or respond. The fifth cleric enters the scene from behind the camera and puts his hand on tman2nd's shoulder.
the fifth cleric wrote:It's Neil, isn't it. Damn fine fellow. Always predicting the end though. Nice little irony.
looking up, tman2nd wrote:He saved my life.
the fifth cleric wrote:Damn nice thing to do, I say.
tman2nd wrote:But he's dead now.
the fifth cleric wrote:Right. And you're not. You like being not dead, don't you?
tman2nd wrote:Yeah... it has its points.
the fifth cleric wrote:... and Neil_Boekend likes being dead. Dunno why, but to each his own. We'll give 'im a fine Irish wake. He'll probably come!
Spoiler:
tman2nd can't help but to smile through his tears.

[medium shot: The Pope.] with the sun rising behind him. We can't make out any of the other party members in the silhouette.
The Pope wrote:I suppose you could have come at a more peaceful time, but we are happy to have you back!
tman2nd wrote:I've actually been back for a few dips, but things got busy.
The Pope wrote:Welcome to the present, tman2nd, BlitzGirl the Next! I have so much to tell you about what's going on!
the second scribe wrote:Since he just blitzed the thread, he knows about all that, wouldn't you say
The Pope wrote:Yeah, I suppose so. Silly me. I'm just happy to have him back! Alert the heralds - there will be a party tonight!
the First Cleric wrote:We just had a party last night. That's what started this meowlpy war.
The Pope wrote:So, I like parties. Let's have another one. This is a most auspicious time! And we have to give Neil his wake. Roll them up together, I say!
the First Cleric wrote:But... what about the keyboards?
The Pope wrote:Let bygones be bygones. Bury the hatchet. Forgive and forget. Don't cry over spilled milk; it's all water under the bridge.
the fifth cleric wrote:Use as many fekkin' cliches as you can get away with.
The Pope wrote:I guess I didn't get away with these, did I?
[close-up: the fifth cleric], slowly shaking his head "no". The camera dollies back to reveal tman2nd smiling at this little joke. He gets up and looks down at Neil's corpse.
tman2nd wrote:He's not dead. He's just sleeping.
the fifth cleric wrote:Sleepin'? 'e's fekkin' snuffed it! Fade out, curtain down, pick up the popcorn off the floor! This Neil is ready for his limosine ride!
tman2nd wrote:I see. Well, in any case, are we ready to party?
[close-up: The Pope.]
The Pope wrote:I thought you'd never ask!
[cut to: wide shot - exterior, day: BlitzGirl and First Cleric] setting up a table. In the background, a ways off, party preparations are being made. Valarya arrives with a load of baked goods and helps spread them out on the table.
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks Valarya! These look great!
First Cleric wrote:How do you do that? I don't think I can tell some of them from real molpies!
Valarya wrote:If they move by themselves, they are not cakes.
BlitzGirl wrote:... and if they are sweet and tasty, they are not my molpies!
First Cleric wrote:I'll... uh... keep that in mind when I get hungry!
BlitzGirl wrote:Awesome battle, wasn't it? I could hear the yoweling all night!
First Cleric wrote:Couldn't see for chirp though.
Valarya wrote:I bet she thinks it's more exciting that way.
BlitzGirl wrote:What fun is it if you already know what's coming?
First Cleric wrote:Oh, I don't know. I suppose if death and destruction is coming my way, knowing it would kind of spoil things.
Valarya wrote:It would let you get out of the way, wouldn't it?
First Cleric wrote:I didn't think of that!
Valarya and BlitzGirl wrote:We know.

The table is set - a splendid assortment of cakes that look like molpies. Or, perhaps molpies that look like cakes and are holding very still.
First Cleric wrote:Think these will hold them keyboards off?
BlitzGirl wrote:If you had a table of Valarya cupcakes all to yourself, that all looked like molpies, would you go anywhere else?
Valarya wrote:That was a real nice gesture - after your molpy war!
BlitzGirl wrote:Yeah. Keep those keyboards guessing! It looks like they're ready.

BlitzGirl, Valarya, and First Cleric start off towards the crowd gathering around the dais.

[cut to: exterior, day - closeup on the second herald's lips]. She takes a breath and puts the ram's horn to it, and blows a clear clarion call. The camera pulls back, revealing the hillsides behind her, where in the distance another herald blows the ram's horn. A third herald picks up the call as the camera keeps pulling back, panning left, and pedestaling up, showing the huge crowds gathered. The crowds are restricted to one area, and the camera keeps panning left until the keyboard table, in the clear area, comes into view. A fourth clarion call is heard, and a keyboard starts slinking over to the table. It is followed by two more.

[cut to: wide shot - the stage.] The First Cleric has just arrived and taken his seat as the Pope strides forward. The camera dollies in to focus on the Pope's address.
In a voice that resonates across the countryside, The Pope wrote:The River of Time... it nourishes us, it enriches us, it defines our very existence.
[wide shot, from behind the Pope, showing the crowd]
The Pope wrote:It feeds the sea, and it feeds us. But we are not the sea, and for each of us, one day the River of Time will end.
[medium shot: The Pope]
The Pope wrote:And so, last night, the River of Time ran dry for Neil_Boekend, as he gave his own life to save tman2nd. This is not however a sad occasion, but a joyous one, for what does it mean for the River of Time to end but that it has flowed completely into the sea. Neil_Boekend is now part of the sea, and as the sea can do whatever it wants, so now can Neil.
[The camera slowly trucks to the right making a full circle around the Pope during the proclamation.]
The Pope wrote:Neil was an exemplary Timewaiter, and the sea has been blessed to receive him. As is said often, everything is related... even us to the sea. And today, his sacrifice is related to our highest honor, for it is tman2nd's return from the Most Holy Quest that we also celebrate here today.

Back in the heady days of BlitzGirl the First's arrival into the present, our tman2nd realized that there was a Great Void in his own life, as the Early Days were unknown to him. And so it was that on that very dix, he set out for the Beginning of Time on a Grand and Holy Quest to drink from the River of Time at its very source. We are here to celebrate the completion of this Epic Sacrament and tman2nd's Glorious Return to the Present.
[The camera is once again facing the Pope]
The Pope wrote:tman2nd, I bit thee arise, and kneel.
[wide shot - looking out over the crowd] The camera finds and follows a mischevious looking cat wearing a hat that itself has a cat in it as he makes his way through the crowd, pads up on stage and kneels before the Pope. The Pope pauses a moment, as if unsure to which cat to give the blessing, and then he raises his hands high above both of them.

[medium shot: The Pope and tman2nd]
The Pope wrote:tman2nd, in honor of your having Gloriously Completed this most Auspicious Quest, and in doing so, having experienced the Time of the Beginning Of Time in its own time, and thus having truly and properly Waited For It, by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction and in witness of the Heroic Sacrifice of our very own Niel_Boekend, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, and further do I concecrate and bless the Gospel of tman2nd, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books...

[cut to: medium-wide shot of the keyboard table] where the keyboards who have been feasting on Valarya's cakes, pause for a moment. One keyboard bows its head, another rolls on its back.
The Pope wrote:...alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl and all the Gospels, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time and for all of Time.
[distant shot of the stage, from behind the keyboard table] The third herald blows the ram's horn from the stage, the other heralds answer the call as it echoes throughout the land. Upon hearing this, the keyboards resume their feast. A great cheer rises up out of the crowd, and they wave banners in curvy fashions and carry tman2nd away in celebration.

[close-up: the First Cleric approaches the Pope]
First Cleric wrote:Now, about that Irish wake...
The Pope wrote:Yes, let's do it. I could use a drink right about now!
First Cleric wrote:Do you really think Neil will show up?
The Pope wrote:We'll just have to keep drinking until he does!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1089) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1195) -->
Last edited by ucim on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Of course she's pregnant with a xenomorph, and thus ends time.

I tried to resist. But there I go.

Tribute to redundancy:
Spoiler:

_ |\_
               \` ..\
          __,.-" =__Y=
        ."        )
  _    /   ,    \/\_
 ((____|    )_-\ \_-`
 `-----'`-----` `--`
(credits as usual to joan stark)

fortune_cookies_time.png
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

I think there was a stray capital E at the end of one of her earlier speeches...

If that's the case, that last word might be guessE.....

Any suggestions as to the vertical word behind it?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Yay, more AotC! I'm still hoping Neil's still alive (or undead) though...
mikro2nd wrote:Ash nazg durbatuluk
ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrambatuluk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in the OTT...

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

ExplainONG...

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Ninja'd!
Spoiler:
Really long speechONG....

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

There's another sea I guess? She definitely needs to slow down

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”