1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ardaglash

Re: Molpy molpy molpy...

Postby Ardaglash » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

De-lurking to tell a short tale of the potential impact of the OTT on the Outside:

I've been reading the OTT since the beginning (although I have my own version of "intermittent schizoblitzing" - i.e., I occasionally resort to reading every 3rd page if I get too far behind). It seems that the steady flow of inline pictures of "molpies" has created new ruts on my cerebellum. :)

To wit: I was in the car with one of my younglings, waiting to turn out of a parking lot, when I see a cute furry mammal run alongside the road nearby. I very nearly blurted out, "Hey look at the cute molpy!"...

...except I realized I'd have to explain what a 'molpy' was. That would mean having to describe the OTT. And the culture here, and the OTC, and GLR, and there just wasn't enough Time! The youngling is going to have to, well, y'know.

I also realized I couldn't recall precisely where the term 'molpy' had come from anyway. After reviewing the OTW and such, here's a convenient history-storage-unit:
Spoiler:
PacMan wrote:Looks like there's a mole coming out of the ground (mustard?)! Notice the difference between frame 1349 and 1350 on the right side of the image.

mscha wrote:OMR, is it ... could it be ... a Compy?

BlitzGirl wrote:This molpy is quite riverish: one-twentieth of a q high

Of course, the eventual Outside unveiling of 'molpies' is but delayed. I will have to explain 'molpy' sooner rather than later, and I'm sure the term is going to catch on with the younglings... and spreading from them, to their friends, and to their friends' friends, and then it'll be all over the schools, permeating the fabric as part of the new slang.

It doesn't hurt that the first image which comes back in a Google search for the term 'molpy' is a great "artist's rendition". :wink:

Fictioneer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time!
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

I would vote C1 and M2 together, or C5 and M3 together. I wouldn't mix those pairs up. Am I allowed to do that?

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Take a sea the size of the mediterranean. What is the total inflow needed to make it go up by ~3q/week? What about large american lakes? What is the minimum size of a lake/sea for people not to see the other shore?

Answering my first question (thanks to W|A!): 104 times the flow of the Amazonian river.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%2 ... scharge%29
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Blindposting, so not sure if this has been brought up yet, but with a sea level rise could the "Great Valley" in central California become a shallow sea? Location-wise it agrees with Long Night predictions, and it does have a sort of a mouth that could be dammed up. It also has the requisite nearby mountains.

Lost forever in time...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:
Spoiler:
Quest progress: 707/1134 pages

So I'm falling behind once again due to some Outside duties... I tried to read as much as I could today, but I'ill be gone for another few xips again :(

Anyway, I wrote a little userscript that might be useful to you in the Future (and to Blitzers, of course). With some seaish posts I often lose track of who wrote it (since the username and profile info is on top of the post). This script keeps the author's profile info in the upper left corner of your screen as you scroll along the post:
ott-profile-hover.png

It (probably) works only with the default theme and it bumps badly if you have smooth scrolling, but otherwise it should work fine.

In my present, the OTC continues with Megan's second fall and discovery of the baobab trees (which have mysterious markings on them), a vineyard and two more abandoned campsites.

In the OTT more and more poems and pictures are created; the very specific baobab shapes lead to discussions about Madagascar as a possible setting and much more interesting stuff happens that I don't remember. Man, I suck at these summaries... :?

Onward!

I know it will take a long time until you read this but thank you1 for the script. It's really helpful, it happened to me many times with seaish2 posts that I forgot the author.

1 Or should I say "Ďakujem!" ? :D
2 They don't even have to be much seaish with just 768 vertical pixels...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Blindposting, so not sure if this has been brought up yet, but with a sea level rise could the "Great Valley" in central California become a shallow sea? Location-wise it agrees with Long Night predictions, and it does have a sort of a mouth that could be dammed up. It also has the requisite nearby mountains.

I live in the SF Bay Area and know a bit about the geologic history of the area. Suffice to say, the central valley used to be an inland sea and could certainly become one again with enough rise in sea level or precipitation in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
[Still can't post links, so google "Central Valley wiki" to find the Wikipedia article and look at the geology section.]

Thing is, it would take a hell of a huge structure to dam the mouths of San Francisco Bay and Monterey Bay and hold back the Pacific Ocean so that flooding like this could happen.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

lgw

Postby lgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:So given that we know an approximate latitude, what seas could they be talking about that are connected? Do American great lakes fit the description?

As far as I know: all we know for sure is that we're north of the Tropic of Capricorn, but then the vast majority of the landmass on Earth is right now. It would be much less of a coincidence, day-of-the-year-wise, if we're north of the equator. That still leaves most of Africa, where the Trees That Know What They're Doing are native today. Now, if we pick a century, we know a whole lot more.

Does a date give us a specific longitude, even though we never saw the moon? (And wasn't Antares missing? What's up with that?)

I much as I enjoy the idea of flooding California, the trees are a bit of a reach without some other data to shift us out of Africa.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I think that's a J... JOINED to yours.

Which does not rule out the Portal theory....

Nor does it rule out the "Megan pregnant IRL"theory, where the Other Sea Flows represents her water breaking.

Well, that was a lame -- errr-- gay --- errr- retarded --- oh, never mind: unworthy theory.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

To Vote just listen to the audio and quote my post. Leave only the top few lines of my post please which has a link back to this post where the results will be updated. Then state who you vote for and why.

Ok, I'm finding this really hard -- I think I tend to be biased toward longer samples (where I get a better feel for the voice). I would be happier making a decision if the different examples had the same content ....

just to make more work for everyone...

Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Note that I don't really know how to append them to one another to create a single Megan file and a single Cueball file, so I would keep them all in separate files. Truth be told, I think I'd also personally find it easier to listen to and assess them as separate samples anyway.

Thoughts?

Fictioneer wrote:

I would vote C1 and M2 together, or C5 and M3 together. I wouldn't mix those pairs up. Am I allowed to do that?

I've wondered about that too -- It's not just about the individual voices, but how they sound together.

EDIT: PAGE-PRESIDENT! Decree: respond to my thoughts, above! or not.... whatever. it's up to you.
Last edited by buffygirl on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:
ucim wrote:... and beautiful poem BlitzGirl. I'm glad trees aren't dangerous. Or are they? Hmmmm....

Why yes, sometimes they are... (first thing I thought of when I saw Blitzgirl's fabulous ottification :D)

They can be much, MUCH worse than that. Just see for yourself:
Spoiler:
WARNING: this is definitely not for the faint-hearted. Nor safe for work. There is blood. A lot of it. This short movie would induce nightmares for a whole year to healthy children. To adults too. Do not tell anyone I'm the one who showed you this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kicdSI_-XpE
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

lgw wrote:We actually do this in English to, but only in corner cases. The correct syntax is "twenty head of cattle": "twenty cattle" is wrong. I think there are three such cases in English, but I can't remember the other two. :cry: Any linguists out there?

Twenty head of cattle, forty horn of cattle and eighty leg of cattle.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

changedONG
Last edited by RudeDude on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
We actually do this in English to, but only in corner cases. The correct syntax is "twenty head of cattle": "twenty cattle" is wrong. I think there are three such cases in English, but I can't remember the other two. :cry: Any linguists out there?

Well, the easy ones would be "20 pairs of pants," and other clothing-related idiomatic phrases. I think it's more that farmers and ranchers would say "20 head of cattle" while city slickers would just say "20 cows." Which reminds me of that stupid puzzler (only makes sense in English when spoken aloud), "A farmer had twenty si{x, ck} sheep. One died. How many were left?"

Back on topic -- didn't the North Sea flood way back whenever?
Last edited by cellocgw on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Well this is disappointing, basically a transcript of the OTT
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Ah, finally the question I'm MOST interested in. Ooooh, I can't stand to wait an hour.

ETA: The answer to this might go a long way towards indicating whether this story is coming to end or not, or where it might go from here. I think this will be a key moment.
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

At least Cuegan interpreted that mess the same way as we did..
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:<snip>
Right, so, if Latent22 approves and if enough others like this idea, and since I seem to feel so (semi-) strongly about this, I volunteer to select a script and gather samples via PM, then post them for voting.

Note that I don't really know how to append them to one another to create a single Megan file and a single Cueball file, so I would keep them all in separate files. Truth be told, I think I'd also personally find it easier to listen to and assess them as separate samples anyway.

Thoughts?

I would prefer it this way - most of my time spent here is either on my phone (limited functionailty, and really hard to post with), or at work (which blocks all the interesting stuff). I only have small windows where I'd be able to both listen to the various samples, and post a response, or even submit a recording of my own1

1Assuming I ever get over this cold =p
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:So given that we know an approximate latitude, what seas could they be talking about that are connected? Do American great lakes fit the description?

Not unless they've become salt water lakes.

Interesting point.

Megan and Cueball both tasted the water in their sea and spat it out. Perhaps their sea has always been fresh water, but the sea that's now flowing into it is salt water.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Just a thought: in addition to the flooding of the Mediterranean Sea, there's a speculated more recent flooding event where the Med broke through the Bosporus and flooded the Black Sea, perhaps around 7k years ago. This might give a more plausible latitude, as well as providing mountains on the coast nearby. Also, I think tides in the Black Sea are pretty minor, especially if you're on the northern edge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_ ... hypothesis

Edit: the Black Sea would also put us adjacent to both Slavic and Asian cultures, including their unfamiliar (to most of us) alphabets.
Last edited by Ashaman on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:

Interesting point.

Megan and Cueball both tasted the water in their sea and spat it out. Perhaps their sea has always been fresh water, but the sea that's now flowing into it is salt water.

Good catch! Also they have been recently asking what is changing the sea, which might imply that it's not just about the level rise...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

lgw wrote: all we know for sure is that we're north of the Tropic of Capricorn,<snip> Now, if we pick a century, we know a whole lot more.

Does a date give us a specific longitude, even though we never saw the moon? (And wasn't Antares missing? What's up with that?)

Latitude is more precise with 39.5--40°N (only assumption: the camera is horizontal).
The century [thanks to Venus] gives us an 8h span, i.e. a 120° span over longitudes. (A cross-confirmation by someone else on that would be great, btw:D)
And I don't think we've settled the Antares question.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:

Interesting point.

Good catch! Also they have been recently asking what is changing the sea, which might imply that it's not just about the level rise...

But Cueball said it tasted less bad than before. "I've had worse"
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Stage 18
Hugely difficult day. Six categorized climbs including twice up the Hors Categorie Alp d'Huez and the finish. The break that began at 17km held on all day and Christiphe Riblon wins, and Van Garderen second. The yellow jersey finished back 3'18" (seventh place) but ahead of most of his rivals. Only Nairo Quintana beat him, winding up in fourth for the day, but moves up to third overall. he is the best young rider (white jersey) second after Froome in the polka dots. I think he only weighs 50 kilos (110 pounds) and is from Colombia. He finishes the day in 3rd overall (at 5'32").
The day:
Spoiler:
177 riders started and two (Bonnet of FDJ and Lutsenko of Astana) dropped out after a long day of trying. This leaves Astana with only 4 riders and not eligible for the team trophy, which is based on the total time of the first five riders on the team. So 175 finished. Oddly, there is competition for the Lantern Rouge this year. Tom Veelers holds the "honor" but there are six riders within 10 minutes of the longest total time so far.

No change at the top for green, with all of the competitors finishing well down (more than 25 minutes) Greipel and Sagan got a few points at the intermediate and Sagan has 101 points on Cavendish. Froome and Quintana still hold the top two positions in king of the mountain (polka dots) but we have a new third place: Riblon, the day's winner, who will wear the jersey since the other two have yellow and white respectively. Saxo Tinkoff keeps the team prize for the day.

The successful break (9 riders) went at 17K and had three former stage winners and three former yellow jersey holders. Impressive group. Tejay Van Garderen (who I watch) made the break and rode all day to second. He could possibly have grabbed first, but had equipment problems not too far from the end. He led for a fair while, as did Riblon as the breakaway itself started to break up. Tejay was 8'20" ahead of the yellow jersey at one point, but not an overall threat. Schleck also tried his hand to no avail.

There was a lot of "attacking" of the yellow jersey (i.e. riding ahead to try to get a break - not pounding with water bottles or tire pumps ;)) Contador tried hard but ultimately fell back, as did Kreuziger (now 4th overall)

Riblon and Van Garderen led everyone from the start of the second climb of the Alp d'Huez. Froome had a late scare (bike trouble) but quickly recovered. his main rivals were about done in by the climbs and his team (SKY) worked pretty well for him today.

There was a lot of attacking and a lot of riders tried to finish ahead of Froome, but nothing was left undone by Sky. However, Joaquin Rodreguez finished ahead of Froome and closes to 5th place at 5'58"

Overall Froome leads Contador by 5'11" (an increase).

Comments/background
Spoiler:
In the polka dot competition, there aren't as many points awarded per climb as there are points for green at the sprints. However, on mountain top finishes, points are doubled. So Riblon got a lot of points today. He also won the fighting spirit award today.

At one point in most races (not TTs) there is a feed zone at which riders collect bags of food/water from team representatives while riding by. Normally the next little bit is somewhat leisurely as they have lunch. It is also possible that it is chaotic and crashes are pretty common here. Today was ok, though. On hot days, feeding is allowed from team cars (and water always is), but the cars have to stay behind the main peleton (not stragglers, though) and the riders doing domestique duty carry it to the other riders on the team.

Tomorrow we are again in the high alps. Five categorized climbs and 204.5km. Two climbs are cat 1 and 2 are hors cat. Potentially dangerous day (downhills). Rain, of course, is possible in the mountains. The finish is flat. Race starts at about 1100 continental time.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Latitude is more precise with 39.5--40°N (only assumption: the camera is horizontal).

If we're confident of that number (which seemed plausible based on the analysis I saw), then the Black Sea becomes unlikely, it's too far north. But the Caspian sea might also work, and the city of Baku is right at 40N. Assuming 10,000 years of climate change, that sea might have dried up and dropped significantly, but now be refilling. Again, tides are minimal on the Caspian Sea.

ETA: With about 40-50m of sea level rise from climate change, it looks like the Caspian Sea becomes connected to the Black Sea.
Last edited by Ashaman on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

@Valarya, ucim, mscha, and lmjb1964: Thanks for your nice words about my ottification!
And thank you for the cake, mscha!
ucim, another great chapter of the AotC! That was a nice ceremony!

And the current newpix feels definitely like we're in an interactive story - if we hadn't figured out Rosetta's speech, would Megan have asked again?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:So, the questions are now being answered. End of Time soon?

I think not and hope not... I think this is just exposition, setting up the next part of the story. Besides, we still don't know about LaPetite yet... maybe we'll meet the rest of the tribe (including her) later, because they'll have to move on into the hills to escape the sea...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:

Interesting point.

But Cueball said it tasted less bad than before. "I've had worse"

Specifically, see the conversation from 1291-1296. Copied from the wiki:

+1291:00Cueball: Did you notice the sea tasting better?
Megan: ...No?
+1292:00 Megan: I don't know. I try not to taste seawater. Why?
+1293:00 Cueball: I was thinking. If a river is putting too much water in the sea, the sea should get fresher.
+1294:00 Cueball: I tasted the water back before we left. Megan: Ugh. And? Cueball: I thought it was a little fresher, but maybe it was just me.
+1295:00 Megan: Probably. I mean, how high was the sea then? The extra water couldn't have been more than a tiny part of it.
+1296:00 Cueball: Yeah.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

What do all y'all think - is LaPetite from the people in the hills or a Member of the Forty?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
lgw wrote:I feel that my guess that they're on the Med and the basin is refilling still has a leg to stand on.

Or the Dead Sea (another old theory), which somehow gets connected to the Mediterranean.

I don't think the Dead Sea is large enough for Cuegan to not realise that it is not a limitless endless sea. It's only 18km wide, and you only need to be about 30m up for the distance to the horizon to be larger than that.

neopifex wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:Blindposting, so not sure if this has been brought up yet, but with a sea level rise could the "Great Valley" in central California become a shallow sea? Location-wise it agrees with Long Night predictions, and it does have a sort of a mouth that could be dammed up. It also has the requisite nearby mountains.

I live in the SF Bay Area and know a bit about the geologic history of the area. Suffice to say, the central valley used to be an inland sea and could certainly become one again with enough rise in sea level or precipitation in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
[Still can't post links, so google "Central Valley wiki" to find the Wikipedia article and look at the geology section.]

Thing is, it would take a hell of a huge structure to dam the mouths of San Francisco Bay and Monterey Bay and hold back the Pacific Ocean so that flooding like this could happen.

Charm Quark, this sounds to me like a plausible theory. I'll do a bit more investigation.

As for neopifex's point, the only thing that needs blocking is Carquinez Strait. That's where the connection inland is at ~60m sea level rise. And it could be tectonic i.e. sea level rises, inland sea forms, then tectonic event closes the strait.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:What do all y'all think - is LaPetite from the people in the hills or a Member of the Forty?

Member of the Forty. Even fits with what Cuegan (I think actually Megan) said about seeing kids around the beach. I can't remember her exact words, but it did not sound like she was talking about a hostile group.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

I have been theorizing for a while that he might be using a three act narrative structure (You'll need to look it up on wikipedia yourself since I am not allowed to link yet)

There is a neat diagram on wikipedia showing the typical function and length of these acts and they seem to correlate quite well with the three 'eons' we've got so far. Plot point #1 (on the diagram) being the rising water levels and plot point #2 being Megan's injury. Act one and three should be about the same length, so there are still a few hundred newpix left. That may or may not be enough to resolve the action.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
Spoiler:
YOUR SEA DOES NOT STAND ALONE!
THERE IS ANOTHER SEA NEXT TO IT
BEYOND THE ##S##RE.
IT HAS BECAME BOUND TO YOURS
BUT ######## LEVELS DIFFER
AND THUS RIVER FLOWS

Blind posting but no one has mentioned the exclamation point lines in two newpix. We know the circle above the last letter is a question mark, but I think the line is definitely an exclamation, whereas two lines would be double exclamation? Or are you guys thinking 1-line = period, 2-lines = exclamation?

Your sea does not stand alone!!
There is another sea next to it.
Beyond the shore!
It has become bound to yours
But the levels differ
and thus over flows

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:

To Vote just listen to the audio and quote my post. Leave only the top few lines of my post please which has a link back to this post where the results will be updated. Then state who you vote for and why.

Ok, I'm finding this really hard -- I think I tend to be biased toward longer samples (where I get a better feel for the voice). I would be happier making a decision if the different examples had the same content ....

just to make more work for everyone...

I agree and like this idea. And I'm pretty excited about it to so I'm not going to vote, for biased reasons. ;)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

To flood the central valley in California all you'd really have to dam up is the Carquinez Strait. No need to worry about plugging up the whole mouth of the San Francisco Bay, and Monterey doesn't even factor into the picture.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:

I have been theorizing for a while that he might be using a three act narrative structure (You'll need to look it up on wikipedia yourself since I am not allowed to link yet)

There is a neat diagram on wikipedia showing the typical function and length of these acts and they seem to correlate quite well with the three 'eons' we've got so far. Plot point #1 (on the diagram) being the rising water levels and plot point #2 being Megan's injury. Act one and three should be about the same length, so there are still a few hundred newpix left. That may or may not be enough to resolve the action.

Welcome!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lgw

Postby lgw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
lgw wrote:
We actually do this in English to, but only in corner cases. The correct syntax is "twenty head of cattle": "twenty cattle" is wrong. I think there are three such cases in English, but I can't remember the other two. :cry: Any linguists out there?

Well, the easy ones would be "20 pairs of pants," and other clothing-related idiomatic phrases. I think it's more that farmers and ranchers would say "20 head of cattle" while city slickers would just say "20 cows." Which reminds me of that stupid puzzler (only makes sense in English when spoken aloud), "A farmer had twenty si{x, ck} sheep. One died. How many were left?"

Back on topic -- didn't the North Sea flood way back whenever?

I've always found it odd how some geeks love to use technical terms in ordinary speech except "rural" technical terms. I would say the above as: experts in the field (ahem) use the formally correct terms "20 head of cattle", while laymen may use the informal "20 cows". After all cattle can be steers or (in theory) bulls as well. I've also heard "beeves" used increasingly in place of "head of cattle", at least in the context of commodities. I always loved "pork bellies", but that doesn't really exist as a commodity any more (replaced by lean hogs).

Found the Wikipedia article for Japanese counter words - wow, that extended list is intimidating.

ETA:

edfel wrote:
lgw wrote: all we know for sure is that we're north of the Tropic of Capricorn,<snip> Now, if we pick a century, we know a whole lot more.

Latitude is more precise with 39.5--40°N (only assumption: the camera is horizontal).
The century [thanks to Venus] gives us an 8h span, i.e. a 120° span over longitudes. (A cross-confirmation by someone else on that would be great, btw:D)
And I don't think we've settled the Antares question.

How do we know the latitude precisely - I missed that? Doesn't that depend on what day of the year it is? Unless I'm quite confused, angle of sunset does, which stars are visible does, and so on.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Guess:
1) The sea that Cuegan is familiar with is an inland sea, like the Dead Sea.
....a) It rises and falls not due to tides, but inflow of new water and evaporation.
........i) They have seen it rise before, but not his far and this fast.
....b) It is super-salty and thus super buoyant, making swimming easy and drowning difficult.
........i) Thus leading them to think that fresh water is dangerous to fall into.
........ii) Making them wonder if one could even swim in fresh water.

Prediction:
1) The Beanies have surveyed the land and are building a castle at what will be a strategic point once the sea reaches the final height.
.....a) They may be responsible for breaching the isthmus between the inland sea and the larger ocean outside.
.........i) (Wild conjecture) They have seafaring technology and this is going to open a new area for them.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

lgw wrote:...
How do we know the latitude precisely - I missed that? Doesn't that depend on what day of the year it is? Unless I'm quite confused, angle of sunset does, which stars are visible does, and so on.

Nope. We get the camera angle compared to the axis of rotation by looking at the angle of the stars going in straight lines (we don't even need the horizon for his)
Best (seaish) explanation: there. Do open the spoiler :)
Or (riverish): the wiki
Last edited by edfel on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Blind posting but no one has mentioned the exclamation point lines in two newpix. We know the circle above the last letter is a question mark, but I think the line is definitely an exclamation, whereas two lines would be double exclamation? Or are you guys thinking 1-line = period, 2-lines = exclamation?

One line is most definitely period, and two lines exclamation point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:

Throwing firstpost forward. Welcome, Nilpferdschaf!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Essentially, the circular arcs of the setting stars allows pinpointing of the location of the North Star (the North celestial pole) and how far above the horizon it is determines latitude. I think a method was actually used based on the celestial equator, but it's the same idea.

Ok, three minutes left, last minute bets on Rosetta's answer?

We don't know!
Aliens.
Rival civilization blew up a dam?
One of our surveying teams had a little accident
Environmental changes...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”