1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jovialbard

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 am UTC

EEEEEEEEEEK!!! A MAP! And of the Mediterranean to boot! I thought I recognized the Iberian peninsula even before this most recent frame. So exciting!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 am UTC

According to the alignment posted before, they have traveled some 180 km along the coast, and 210km as birds fly to the fortress (definitely If Castle)
180km in 4 days makes 45km/day, which is really possible on flat ground with very little weight to bear. 210km uphill would take maybe 6 days, which seems consistent too.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

nickjbor

Re: MOLPY DOWN! (Niclep, not me.)

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Sea levelONG
Or alternatively "there's ItalONG"

This would place our current location right about here
http://goo.gl/maps/vtkgR
somewhere

ETA
Papal Decree: I'm Teddy! Not Nickjbor!
Last edited by nickjbor on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Actually, I find it anti-climactic. WE DID figure out it was the Mediterranean area. Why the blatant exposition? It would make for a better story if they had no bloody idea how the area looked way in the past.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am UTC

I hope there it lasts exactly 93 more newpix, I will be so uncomfortable if he gets so close to 3000 and then ends it on some stupid number like 3107

EEEEEEEEEEK!!! A MAP! And of the Mediterranean to boot! I thought I recognized the Iberian peninsula even before this most recent frame. So exciting!

A map of the boot in the Mediterranean
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Ok, I have to admit .... I'm a bit disappointed that the GLR has given up so much info so quickly ....

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:10 am UTC

edfel wrote:According to the alignment posted before, they have traveled some 180 km along the coast, and 210km as birds fly to the fortress (definitely If Castle)
180km in 4 days makes 45km/day, which is really possible on flat ground with very little weight to bear. 210km uphill would take maybe 6 days, which seems consistent too.

I am with you in this.

Another photo of the Chateau d'If, 11,000 years before Cuegan:

Allow me to quote my previous post, which got lost in the bottom of the previous page (photo of If plus the fortress in the OTC):
Spoiler:
Ximenez wrote:
edfel wrote:I'm sticking to "Chateau d'If", on Montecarlo rock.

Point on the map: https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=chateau+d ... chateau+d'if&cid=0,0,1215199334446251390&t=h&z=6

The last words of the book "Le comte de Montecristo": <<Attendre et espérer>>. To wait and to hope.

7!!!

It is quite possible!

Chateau d'If:

The fortress:

Don't bother:
Spoiler:
Chateau-d-if-2.jpg

Chateau-d-if-2.jpg
Last edited by Ximenez on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:48 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I have to admit .... I'm a bit disappointed that the GLR has given up so much info so quickly ....

What that means is simply that this isn't what we're waiting for, there's so much more to come!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 am UTC

edfel wrote:According to the alignment posted before, they have traveled some 180 km along the coast, and 210km as birds fly to the fortress (definitely If Castle)

I just noticed that the way edfel's map is rotated in his(?) avatar makes it more consistent with GLR's map.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:14 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:Actually, I find it anti-climactic. WE DID figure out it was the Mediterranean area. Why the blatant exposition? It would make for a better story if they had no bloody idea how the area looked way in the past.

At least, we know sea level hasn't changed much (except for the mediterranean obviously).

edit:
taixzo wrote:I just noticed that the way edfel's map is rotated in his(?) avatar makes it more consistent with GLR's map.

(?)=> yes;
and yes, I'll need to fix this up... that's going to be longfun... wait for it :wink:
Last edited by edfel on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Ximenez wrote:

I am with you in this.

Another photo of the Chateau d'If, 11,000 years before Cuegan:

Allow me to quote my previous post, which got lost in the bottom of the previous page (photo of If plus the fortress in the OTC):

This does seem like the correct location
Last edited by nickjbor on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:
Fictioneer wrote:
Gedeon wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Edit: after looking at Gedeon's overlay, I'm now thinking that Mount Argentera is too far east.

Overlays may be slightly off because of different projections, but somewhere around Marseilles, I would say.

Which means naming La Petite with a French name was spot on! (It's all connected.)

And the Tour De France discussion is in fact completely on topic!

Brilliant!

edfel wrote:I'm sticking to "Chateau d'If", on Montecarlo rock.

Point on the map: https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=chateau+d ... 90&t=h&z=6

The last words of the book "Le comte de Montecristo": <<Attendre et espérer>>. To wait and to hope.

Oh, I like this, especially as it is one of my all-time favourite books. Even if it is wrong, I like the connection.

SinusPi wrote:Actually, I find it anti-climactic. WE DID figure out it was the Mediterranean area. Why the blatant exposition? It would make for a better story if they had no bloody idea how the area looked way in the past.

Not all readers of the OTC are going to be reading every post of the OTT. And why should Rosetta keep poor Cueball and Megan in suspense? Getting this information and having it confirmed is super cool. Why should it be kept a secret?

a_s_h_e_n wrote:I hope there it lasts exactly 93 more newpix, I will be so uncomfortable if he gets so close to 3000 and then ends it on some stupid number like 3107

I don't get any sense at all that this is the end of the story.

Someone cue up the Deborah Conway, 'cos IT'S ONLY THE BEGINNING.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Looks like the fortress is just off the coast of Marseille:
Spoiler:
offmarsielle.jpg
[/spoiler]
Last edited by ahecht on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:16 am UTC

With this newfound (or newconfirmed) knowledge, what real language are the Beanish likely speaking?

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:With this newfound (or newconfirmed) knowledge, what real language are the Beanish likely speaking?

French I say, but the word for Water in French is only 3 letters long; same with Lake.

Eternal Density

Niclep slept for a long time.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 am UTC

edfel wrote:

At least, we know sea level hasn't changed much (except for the mediterranean obviously).
Does that mean they're safe from the Netherlands?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 am UTC

This is not fun anymore... We now see the Mediterranean and now we know why the sea was rising. So, we're waiting for Gibraltar to open or what? :\

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 am UTC

So, the big river is Rhone (extending to the current sea level), and the smaller one (that is only sometimes reaching the sea) could be Aude.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:This is not fun anymore...

It just GOT fun! :mrgreen:

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Is that the castle from "The World is Not Enough?"

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Well, that was an exciting discovery tonight...but it's molydown time for me.

Baobabs on the floor of the Mediterranean.... wow

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 am UTC

If this is the end of Time, then I really do think that "bye!" and fade-out should've ended it and left behind some mystery. An ending like this is too cheap...

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:24 am UTC

edfel wrote:Well, that was an exciting discovery tonight...but it's molydown time for me.

Baobabs on the floor of the Mediterranean.... wow

Are you the fellow who runs the map
uh, do you need some help 'updating' it :P I got free time.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:24 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:This is not fun anymore... We now see the Mediterranean and now we know why the sea was rising. So, we're waiting for Gibraltar to open or what? :\

There are still many things to Wait for! What about LaPetite? What about the deserted campsites and grapevines and...oh, OH! Those all belonged to the Beanies! (except LaPetite that is.) They saw the sea level rising and evacuated to higher ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...But baobabs? There you've lost me.
Edit: ninja'd on the baobab front.
Last edited by taixzo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 am UTC

I really don't have anything to add at the moment, but WOW.

I still don't believe we're approaching the end of time. Cuegan can't just let their home be destroyed by the rising sea. They have to stop it! There is plenty of story left to be had.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 am UTC

The "I've had worse." Quote makes more sense now too. Their sea would be less salty with the relatively fresh Atlantic flooding in.
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:With this newfound (or newconfirmed) knowledge, what real language are the Beanish likely speaking?

Some version of Basque or one of its descendants?
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:This is not fun anymore... We now see the Mediterranean and now we know why the sea was rising. So, we're waiting for Gibraltar to open or what? :\

There are still many things to Wait for! What about LaPetite? What about the deserted campsites and grapevines and...oh, OH! Those all belonged to the Beanies! (except LaPetite that is.) They saw the sea level rising and evacuated to higher ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...But baobabs? There you've lost me.

Oh, I wouldn't like the Time to end, don't get me wrong. :)
It's simply the pace of answers that have got me worried - we are dealing with a being that answers all of Cuegan questions.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 am UTC

nickjbor wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:This is not fun anymore...

It just GOT fun! :mrgreen:

I agree. I've been watching this whole time with a kinda "meh"/"that's interesting" attitude, and honestly laughing a little at all the far-fetched efforts to identify and place and time in the real world that this was all set in based on flora and fauna and stuff. But then with the astronomical evidence and then the apparent thought put behind Beanlish and now suddenly a ton of dialogue and info I'm actually excited to see what comes next now, and finding out that some of the epileptic trees theorizing about it being in a dried out Mediterranean is right suddenly makes the whole thing a lot more, as you say in here, "wow".

I'm somewhat reminded of the end of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which was nowhere near as interesting as the half-naked girl on my lap for most of the show, until suddenly space suits and ray guns and wait what since when was this a science fiction movie!?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:Not yet, but I'm just about set on making the "hugging" right-high-curve an apostrophe ', the "horned" right-high-curve a backtick `, a high dot an asterisk *, and a low arc a comma ,. I have yet to make sense of the other variants - [X,c] or [4c*] or [`M].

Maybe "X,c" and "4c*" are actually "X,`" and "4`*"? Combining vowel diacritics is a perfect way to represent diphthongs (in lay terms a "composite vowel" like "oy" or "ow" Many languages will use spellings like "oi" or "au").

Both "M`" and "N`" are pretty weird, but the curve is facing towards the character, so maybe they are " M' " and " N' " ?

(also, mind if we standard having the diacritic markers follow the base character? Makes it consistent and less ambiguous.)

Gedeon wrote:The beanie language bothers me. They are in Europe, why does their language not resemble anything similar to european languages?

For all we know it does, but it is obscured by a strange script and 11,000 years of language change. We don't have enough information yet.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Do we now know the season? The coastline they walked along goes north-northeast, but they commented later about having the sun in their eyes all morning. So is it high summer, with the sun rising far to the northeast?

Second question: If the Straits of Gibraltar closed tomorrow, how long would it take the Mediterranean to evaporate this far, assuming no portals to Mars?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:
Fictioneer wrote:
Gedeon wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Edit: after looking at Gedeon's overlay, I'm now thinking that Mount Argentera is too far east.

Overlays may be slightly off because of different projections, but somewhere around Marseilles, I would say.

Which means naming La Petite with a French name was spot on! (It's all connected.)

And the Tour De France discussion is in fact completely on topic!

Fabulous deduction! Cheers for charlie_grumbles!!

Ooh! New prediction: charlie_grumbles is GLR in disguise!
Pre-post edit: And stop posting for a second so I can submit this post!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

LoonieSpace

Postby LoonieSpace » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Given that a draining of the Mediterranean would inevitably lead to a mixing of peoples on both sides, anyone want to take a stab and see if the Beanish language is some version of French written in modified Arabic?

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:29 am UTC

LoonieSpace wrote:Given that a draining of the Mediterranean would inevitably lead to a mixing of peoples on both sides, anyone want to take a stab and see if the Beanish language is some version of French written in modified Arabic?

Or just Arabic perhaps?

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Someone mentioned on and off-topic discussion at the OTT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O4bs9m800A

At exactly 1:00, I'm the bald guy. There's your onofftopic. :p

Spoiler:
Actually, 1:03 :p
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Reading the map.

Cuegan Sea: 3W,J 34'6 (34'6 was said in G2728 and G2866)
New Ionian Sea: 3W,J #J'b
Tiny labels by north shore: 34cGX (pointed to in picnic scene), rest unintelligible.

If map says sea is 3W,J - twice! - then what's our 342bJ..? Hum.

Chinchokmataa wrote:(also, mind if we standard having the diacritic markers follow the base character? Makes it consistent and less ambiguous.)

I'd save that for until we're sure they really do belong with that base, and are not free-floaters before it. If that happens in any way, I guess.
Last edited by SinusPi on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Chinchokmataa wrote:For all we know it does, but it is obscured by a strange script and 11,000 years of language change. We don't have enough information yet.

Indeed. There was no such beast as English (or likely any other modern language) 11,000 years ago.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

gga2

Postby gga2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 am UTC

"And this. Our belief [prediction] about the sea's new shore." What's the cross word on the left? [xx]ace?

I see a small dot not too far west from the castle, and a larger one more west of that. Perhaps they will travel there?
Last edited by gga2 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Future Arabic, probably. It fits with the Aramaic style of the script, and it is entirely conceivable that the descendents of Arabic-speaking people would inhabit the dry Med basin in a post-apocalyptic scenario. But "Future Arabic" could incorporate all sorts of stuff. 11,000 years (or whatever of it is) of linguistic development?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 am UTC

It seems odd that a pre-industrial society living next to a very salty body of water would not be more well travelled. Salt is a very valuable trade resource.

Might be a source of conflict with the hill people.
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”