1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gga2

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby gga2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 am UTC

And seriously, had no one referenced http://xkcd.com/1214/ before?

edit: Ok I searched, and do see a reference now. Thank goodness. But maybe they are in a Mediterranean replica...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Looks to me like the survey towers and all the work they have been doing is to calculate this doted line she has drawn and work out where the new land will be so they can plan ahead and prepare for the watery invasion. I know this is obvious but I thought I would just state it anyway.

Eternal Density

He slept for so long that...

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Ooh! New prediction: charlie_grumbles is GLR in disguise!
Pre-post edit: And stop posting for a second so I can submit this post!
No, I said that many many newpages ago. Right after the Incident, I think.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Well. I put up a perfectly good theory about the Caspian Depression like 20 seconds before GLR actually shows us a map of the Balearic Abyssal Plain. Phooey. :P

jjjdavidson wrote:Do we now know the season? The coastline they walked along goes north-northeast, but they commented later about having the sun in their eyes all morning. So is it high summer, with the sun rising far to the northeast?

Second question: If the Straits of Gibraltar closed tomorrow, how long would it take the Mediterranean to evaporate this far, assuming no portals to Mars?

About 1000 years, give or take, is the current estimate. I'd like to point out that it's considered inevitable that Gilbraltar will pinch off again. Tectonic motion is slowly closing the Mediterranean, and that will close the strait ... however, our current date estimate is far, far too soon for that to occur naturally due solely to tectonic drift (the estimated date for that to occur isn't until 650,000+ years from now!). So there's still quite a bit of mystery to investigate. What happened to the Mediterranean to trigger the Second Messinian Salinity Crisis? What happened to breach Gilbraltar again?

sheldonv

Postby sheldonv » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:40 am UTC

It's an Atlantis story!!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:40 am UTC

We also now have a definitive and rather unexpected answer to the "how high up did they climb, to be noticeably out of breath in the thinner air?" question. The answer turns out to be, they've climbed up to... sea level! (But, since they'd previously been completely acclimated to several thousand feet below sea level, it still makes sense that they'd be a bit out of breath.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Oui! Oui!

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:45 am UTC

joaquimds wrote:I'm just a lurker really, but the OTC has become such a big part of my life! I don't want it to end...

nickjbor wrote:I've been following from day 1 BTW, I just have not had much to say until now.

I'm glad you both de-lurked!

irino wrote:This castle seems to be right there, especially if the beanies have imprecise mapping.

OMR, irino! You live in Prunetucky??!! I'm, like, 45 minH away from you! That is so funny!

edfel wrote:I'm sticking to "Chateau d'If", on Montecarlo rock.

Point on the map: https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=chateau+d ... 90&t=h&z=6

The last words of the book "Le comte de Montecristo": <<Attendre et espérer>>. To wait and to hope.

No! OK, that seals it for me.

And the pix that Ximenez posted.

Gedeon wrote:The beanie language bothers me. They are in Europe, why does their language not resemble anything similar to european languages?

Someone, I think CasCat, mentioned this also, but could it be related to Basque? Basque isn't related to any known language.

I for one think this is VERY exciting! I feel like this isn't the end, but the beginning of more adventures. Yay!

OK, now I'm off to play in a production of La Cage aux Folles, set, you guessed it, in France on the Mediterranean. IT IS ALL RELATED!

Adieu, mes amis!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Lots to say:

Great Manip Gedeon! I didn't see the link to the Med. Sea until I saw your map.

I think some folks are missing that C and M's river is on the north of the Sea, with a dotted line to the sea. Their people are chirping mustard.

We really got the latitude right. I feel like a sailor or something.

Now we know why the top of the mountain is flat

I've been kicking myself for not considering the Mediterranean before today. I used the north coast of africa as a limit.

Could the Mediterranean dry up so fast?(Ninja'd)

Does anyone here speak Arabic? Based on punctuation, you may need a mirror
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 am UTC

I'll believe that Time is ending when we find out out who La Petite is. And even then it could go on another 3000 newpix with Cuegan, La Petite, and the Beanies going on a quest to stop the sea or save the people in danger because of it. A story like this doesn't end when you get all the answers in the span of a day.

Edit: If it is ending soon, then maybe GLR is planning to end when this thread hits 1190.
Last edited by wizpretz on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 am UTC

I also think the map showed too much. It looks like the map could have gone from Gibralter to Sardinia and just shown the merest part of the African continent and still worked for the story.

Sure, we would have figured it out anyway, but it seemes like too big a reveal.

ETA: typo
Last edited by NetWeasel on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:What happened to the Mediterranean to trigger the Second Messinian Salinity Crisis? What happened to breach Gilbraltar again?

Let's not forget... we're still missing Antares.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Transliteration updated with map squiggles.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:55 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:Transliteration updated with map squiggles.

curious if there are any matches
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:
Qalyar wrote:What happened to the Mediterranean to trigger the Second Messinian Salinity Crisis? What happened to breach Gilbraltar again?

Antares went supernova, and that's what dried out the Mediterranean?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 am UTC

One thing that's a bit bothersome is that there's a small discrepancy in the latitude; when they stopped for the starry night they had to have been at least 42 degrees north, but the astronomy showed 40 degrees. That's pretty darn close, but both estimates (from the map and from the star motion) have pretty narrow error margins, so I'm surprised they don't coincide closer still.

Someone mentioned that the earth's axis could itself could shift by a couple hundred kilometers in the time scale we're talking about. Can anyone confirm this? That could close the remaining gap by shifting the actual latitude of the site (ideally, by about 225 kilometers south).
Time after Time...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:59 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
xiphmont wrote:

I'm not sure a star, even a supernova, would put out enough light/heat to do that. Also, it takes a long time to dry out an ocean, and a supernova only lasts a few days or weeks.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:59 am UTC

(Ignore this post - edited to remove nonsense ramblings I should probably have come to my senses before posting)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Just finished my "lurk-up" (ketchuping while lurking); just in Timea to see this "big reveal". I don't think that this is the "End Of Time" at all.
I predict that Megball will want to get back to their tribe ("The Forty") and try to save them. Maybe we will get to meet the "Hill People" and find out why they don't like "The Forty". (That's the impression I got from that part of the conversation.)
-----
Now for a little Ketch-posting:

-Sorry about the "snark" yesterdip; my only excuse is a combo of lack of coma-time (still adjusting to regular schedulingb) and the current high heat/humidity going on right now. (Including an apartment with no AC, just fans.)

-A shoutout to edfel and his mapping skills.
edfel wrote:According to the alignment posted before, they have traveled some 180 km along the coast, and 210km as birds fly to the fortress (definitely If Castle)
180km in 4 days makes 45km/day, which is really possible on flat ground with very little weight to bear. 210km uphill would take maybe 6 days, which seems consistent too.

Given that your map is based on internal comments from Megball, with a few assumptions thrown in, your map is a close enough match for Rosetta's map. (Could Randall have based his on yours?)

edfel wrote:Well, that was an exciting discovery tonight...but it's molydown time for me.

Baobabs on the floor of the Mediterranean.... wow

-In spite of us having a "precise" location; since this is happening in the future, I guess the Randelversarians are also correct.

-One stray thought that stuck with me while readingc: I thought "Beanedette" was the name to the female student we saw when the group was coming up the hill.

a Has that pun ever been used around here before? :mrgreen:
b In fact, I'll be doing the coma after the next NewPic
c Started on NP 1129, was current with newpix at M2897, so was live when "the Great Stall" happened earlier. I joined y'all with my concern, I just wasn't on the same page as you.
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 am UTC

DisbelievONG.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Antares went supernova, and that's what dried out the Mediterranean?

I'd not put it past Randall to have them connected; Antares is supposedly close enough for its supernova to have some effect, and it's a heck of a coincidence.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:05 am UTC

@Gedeon: re: this map: Brilliant! Baobabish!

nickjbor wrote:What evidence do we have that this is the future VS evidence that this is the past?
Well, if it were in the past, it would be after castles, which is fairly recently. It would be contrary-to-fact, whereas if it is in the future, it would merely be speculative. Also, stars tell a lot. (They even chirp).

@charlie_grumbles: Thanks for the clarification on the Romani. I edited my original post to reflect it.

Latent22 wrote:The text from the OTC seems to suggest it's not human related but not sure.
That's what Rosetta wants the Cuegan to believe. They are gaining the Cuegan's trust. As the story develops, we'll see if that trust is warranted.

I do not see this as the end of Time. I see this as the end of the setup for the conflict that will drive the main part of the story, yet to come.

Gedeon wrote:The beanie language bothers me. They are in Europe, why does their language not resemble anything similar to european languages?
Languages don't last. What 11,000 year old languages are spoken today?

Megan wrote:The sea can cover mountains?
It can do anything it wants. It's the sea. (Where did I hear that before?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gedeon

Re: Oui! Oui!

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Someone, I think CasCat, mentioned this also, but could it be related to Basque? Basque isn't related to any known language.

Tried that, I think it's too far fetched (tho I could be wrong).

I think Randall has constructed a new language based on some known language (or even mix of languages) in the region. The problem with indo-european languages is that they are all too similar. Even after thousands of years, you could understand some words...

For example, in my language (Slavic), water = voda (pronounciation uo-tah = wo-dah), even though languages have evolved separately for about thousand years... and don't get me started on greek/latin origin words (which share roots with proto-indian or something)... they are all the same across all Europe, just pronounced slightly different.
Last edited by Gedeon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Here's the relavent part of the map...

I see a dotted (intermittant) river, and some hills.
Did anyone get those other Beanie script letters?

Spoiler:
map closeup.png
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Now I lay me down to coma.
Please spare me, Lord, from dreams filmed by Troma.
If Time should end before I wake,
Please continue the thread, so there'll be cake.
Time after Time...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:13 am UTC

I think that these last few frames are, for me at least, where I see the true conflict arising, and thus the story itself beginning. The sea's rising level was a curiosity before, but now it presents a very real (if somewhat slow-moving) danger to all characters involved.
Congratulations, everyone! It's been four months and the plot has started to move forwards already.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

CasCat

Re: Oui! Oui!

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

Someone, I think CasCat, mentioned this also, but could it be related to Basque? Basque isn't related to any known language.

Not me; I'm not much of a linguist. Although I speak fluent Feline.

<mroooooowwww.>

Edit to add: I'm not disappointed by the Big Reveal in the map; I'm quite sure (having been one myself) that there are plenty of people following Time who aren't in, or have never heard of, the OTT. I know this because I was one of them until about page 733....
Last edited by CasCat on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
xiphmont wrote:

I'm not sure a star, even a supernova, would put out enough light/heat to do that. Also, it takes a long time to dry out an ocean, and a supernova only lasts a few days or weeks.

If I remember right, a supernova (would Anteres truly supernova? Or something smaller) within 100 ly of earth would sterilize it, so... Yeah

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:17 am UTC

edo wrote:
taixzo wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
xiphmont wrote:

If I remember right, a supernova (would Anteres truly supernova? Or something smaller) within 100 ly of earth would sterilize it, so... Yeah

That's because of gamma radiation though, not because of heat. Gamma rays don't boil water (or, at least, not nearly as efficiently as visible/infrared light).

Edit: 400th post! And at a very baobabish time in the OTC indeed!
Last edited by taixzo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Languages don't last. What 11,000 year old languages are spoken today?

And quite possibly, CueGan don't speak English either. It's just shown to us as such because the story is told from their perspective. Therefore, maybe Cueganese is some exotic language, while Beanish could be indo-european. Just mumbled because our protagonists don't understand it.

Real mindfuck.
Last edited by Gedeon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:19 am UTC

taixzo wrote:That's because of gamma radiation though, not because of heat. Gamma rays don't boil water (or, at least, not nearly as efficiently as visible/infrared light).

We'd probably lose the ozone layer completely if my astrophysics is up to date. What secondary effects would that have?

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 am UTC

I'm claiming credit in my own head for being the first to propose the Med idea. :mrgreen: Hopefully no one will care enough to disabuse me of my notion.

Here's the Wikipedia article on the Med drying out "the Mediterranean would mostly evaporate in about a thousand years".
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:
taixzo wrote:That's because of gamma radiation though, not because of heat. Gamma rays don't boil water (or, at least, not nearly as efficiently as visible/infrared light).

We'd probably lose the ozone layer completely if my astrophysics is up to date. What secondary effects would that have?

I'd buy stock in a sunscreen manufacturer. Clothes would be dyed and cars would be painted with fluorescent colors. George Hamilton would be altogether invisible on dark nights.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:

More UV light getting in. Which would mean more sunburns. But the Sun only emits a minority of its energy in the UV spectrum, so it probably wouldn't contribute much to drying.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 am UTC

not sure if someone has already posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemsLUldVAo

2 minute BBC video on when the Mediterranean sea dried up 6 million years ago. Only took 2000 years to dry up so that would put the event that caused it in the 1000 years ago kind of range.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 am UTC

nickjbor wrote:
SinusPi wrote:Transliteration updated with map squiggles.

curious if there are any matches

Salaam is a reflexive 3 letter salutation(and a goodbye)
M32: Shiin is a fit for the first letter, laam annd miim, not so much?

By the way, the bottom of the med should be hellish (50C/122F)!

@taixzo: serilized means no Cueball and Megan, unless they have gills.
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:30 am UTC

taixzo wrote:More UV light getting in. Which would mean more sunburns. But the Sun only emits a minority of its energy in the UV spectrum, so it probably wouldn't contribute much to drying.

I'm not suggesting any direct drying effect. I'm thinking more worldwide environmental lever.
Or perhaps it's just the event that set the technology clock back.

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:31 am UTC

edo wrote:By the way, the bottom of the med should be hellish (50C/122F)!

Unless they're just coming out of an ice age... which could also drop ocean levels possibly enough to re-close Gibraltar...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:31 am UTC

OMR!!!!! :shock: They are in the mediterranean! This is all so exciting, I had 11 pages to ketchup on (up from average per day of 5-6). Answers! Questions! More answers! Italy! France! Exclamation Marks̄̅

yappobiscuits wrote:-snipped upon request for pessimism-

Nope! Just look at all the wild speculation we have just since the explanation - Antares exploding, speculation on the development of beanish, and who even knows what new questions will accompany Cuegan's newfound answers?
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Did anyone theorize yet as to why the Mediterranean (presumably at the Strait of Gibraltar) was plugged up again at some point in the next few thousand years?

If it wasn't plugged up by some volcano or something, then there must have been a sea level drop of about 1500-2000 feet to cut off the sea from the ocean. The only thing that could do that is a severe ice age, the kind of which i don't think would be possible on the timescale of just a few thousand years.

It must have been something like a volcano or formation of a super-volcano caldera I guess.

Yes. Image

There must have been some kind of apocalypse that destroyed human civilization, and whatever it as (nuclear war, supervolcano, comet, whatever) might have caused a nuclear winter, and/or blocked the Strait of Gibraltar. (Even a nuclear winter wouldn't drop the sea level that fast, though, I'd think; those glaciers need a long time to build.)
A significant temperature drop would also explain how the Cueganites can survive in the heat of the Mediterranean basin, 2½ km below sea level.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:OK OTVO voting time! This is now quarter final voting to see who goes onto the next round and submit a new set audition.
Pick your favorite Cueball and Meagan Voice.
Results will be displayed here

To Vote just listen to the audio and quote my post. Leave only the top few lines of my post please which has a link back to this post where the results will be updated. Then state who you vote for and why.

For Megan, it was hard to pick, but M2 stands out as having just the right innocence, life, and playfulness.

For Cueball, my top choices are C5 (a surprise, actually!), and close runner-up C1 and C6. For C5, the qualities that do it for me are youthful innocence, coupled with a little goofiness in the tone quality.
C1 has a different tone quality which also portrays youthfulness, but there's more confidence behind the words than what I envision Cueball having... (although walking hundreds of km to find out why the sea is rising shows a whale of a lot of gumption!)
C6 has a very interesting mix of youth energy and contemplation, which is a nice match for Cueball.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Also some script at the pillars of Hercules...

Spoiler:
gibralter.png
gibralter.png (38.84 KiB) Viewed 11120 times

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”