1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

b2bomberkrh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Lawsome wrote:
taixzo wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:The journey to your land is much too long
[I will] not send [rescuers?] only to see them
encircled and drowned by the rising(rushing) tide(water)

But why can't they send rescuers with a boat?

Boats can't save people from a tidle wave.

Sure they can, if you get far enough out to sea first.

What sea can they get out to? This isn't really a tidal wave, this is a flooding, and boats have nowhere to take you in a flood, since the only water around is being flooded itself.

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Why would they have boats? I don't think they knew about the catastrophe for a huge amount of time and they're on a mountain in the middle of a continent. There's not much use for a boat there.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Lawsome wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Boats can't save people from a tidle wave.

Sure they can, if you get far enough out to sea first.

As of right now, it's still a bit of a hike to the coast. The sea level is probably changing too rapidly to make launching boats safe.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Ugh...

More pessimism, I'm afraid.

Looking back at the National Geographic map...

http://maroonbeard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Mediterranean-Seafloor-1982.jpg

The Cueganites live at or slightly below 2389 m below sea level. I've simplified the rate of sea rise to a flat rate just for a quick estimate (initially, the Gibraltar channel is small...but the volume required per meter of sea rise is also small...later, Gibraltar channel is larger, but volume required per meter of sea rise is also larger...).

For sea level to rise 2389 m in...let's call it 15 days: That's ~160 m/day.

The difference in elevation from the hills to the head of the Rhône Fan (foot of the Petít Rhône Canyon), 50 miles away, is also ~160 m. Rafts or no rafts, this doesn't bode well.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

This map omits the Balearic Islands; this map suggests that Cuegan might live near the Balearic Islands. It's possible that Hairdo does not know that the Balearic Islands will survive the flood and that Cuegan's tribe will escape to the Balearic Islands.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:
I'm not completely convinced that language structure, spelling, pronunciation, and grammar are changing more slowly as technology advances. I could be totally wrong, but my intuition is that when the world is changing rapidly as it is now, languages should also tend to change at a relatively fast pace. I don't think technology has caused people to adhere more strongly to grammatical norms; if anything, the internet is a place where people feel free to express themselves with less attention to proper structure and grammar than in the written or the spoken.

Also, I know I'm picking nits here, but the Canterbury tales are Middle English, not quite 1000 years old (more like 650), and while they're easily decipherable when written in modern English characters, old manuscripts are much more challenging:

I'm sure you're right about the Canterbury Tales. I was going on my memory from AP English from 1986. I'm not even sure why I remember the first 14 lines we had to memorize, I haven't exactly used it much in the intervening years. I certainly don't want to kick off a debate here. My main point was that there wasn't a good reason to assume significant linguistic changes, and that, for this language to be decipherable at all, we should probably assume it's close to something that's around now, or we're just going to have to wait for in-text exposition to solve it for us.

I also have the prologue to the Canterbury Tales etched indelibly in my brain from AP English :D

It's too soon to say whether or not Beanish is a close enough relative to a modern language that we would be able to decipher it, but the fact that it appears to use things like pointing and diacritics that are simply not found in Indo-European languages makes me think that it's either a brand new language, or a very distant relative of one of the more obscure options we've talked about in this thread. Of course, my predictions (the little circles and lines are vowels, not punctuation! we're in central California, not Europe!) have been consistently wrong so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt :lol:
Lost forever in time...

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

In the game of ongs you're first or you die...

(that may be overstating it)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

LID919

Postby LID919 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

[deleted]
Last edited by LID919 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:
I'm not completely convinced that language structure, spelling, pronunciation, and grammar are changing more slowly as technology advances. I could be totally wrong, but my intuition is that when the world is changing rapidly as it is now, languages should also tend to change at a relatively fast pace. I don't think technology has caused people to adhere more strongly to grammatical norms; if anything, the internet is a place where people feel free to express themselves with less attention to proper structure and grammar than in the written or the spoken.

Also, I know I'm picking nits here, but the Canterbury tales are Middle English, not quite 1000 years old (more like 650), and while they're easily decipherable when written in modern English characters, old manuscripts are much more challenging:

I'm sure you're right about the Canterbury Tales. I was going on my memory from AP English from 1986. I'm not even sure why I remember the first 14 lines we had to memorize, I haven't exactly used it much in the intervening years. I certainly don't want to kick off a debate here. My main point was that there wasn't a good reason to assume significant linguistic changes, and that, for this language to be decipherable at all, we should probably assume it's close to something that's around now, or we're just going to have to wait for in-text exposition to solve it for us.

I also have the prologue to the Canterbury Tales etched indelibly in my brain from AP English :D

It's too soon to say whether or not Beanish is a close enough relative to a modern language that we would be able to decipher it, but the fact that it appears to use things like pointing and diacritics that are simply not found in Indo-European languages makes me think that it's either a brand new language, or a very distant relative of one of the more obscure options we've talked about in this thread. Of course, my predictions (the little circles and lines are vowels, not punctuation! we're in central California, not Europe!) have been consistently wrong so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt :lol:

I still say it's Romanian.
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:

Yes, and my English teacher drilling in the "correct" pronunciation. I agree it's too soon to say. I also maintain that we might as well assume that is (close to a modern language), since otherwise, I think deciphering efforts are...monumental.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

The problem with the "rushing tide" is that it won't just be rushing onshore (which might not be so bad if the "shore" you're on is on the slopes part way up the basin side), it'll also be rushing eastward toward the eastern Mediterranean, where there's a lot more volume to fill.

Oh, and it could be carrying a lot of floating debris... in fact, worst case, what's rushing past is a thick churning layer of floating debris, and you can't even see the water surface. Makes a raft a dubious proposition. :(

ETA: Maybe a really big raft made of baobab trunks...

Also, Pope-ness noted for the purpose of firstpost detection. Decree: When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout.
Last edited by Rule110 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:I still say it's Romanian.

I don't have time to look at it more closely, but my one problem with that possibility is that the Romanian word for yes is "Da" which doesn't seem to fit very well with the word we're pretty sure means yes, which appears to have two letters plus two diacritics. Nothing is certain about that, though, so it's worth looking into.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Perhaps Cuegan will convince the Beanies to prepare rafts to save the Cueganites, or they'll do it themselves (with a nice speech from Megan comparing the predicament to an earlier obstacle they've faced and overcome), and this highly-risky adventure will end up saving the Beanies (with the help of LaPetite, who has prepared a more stable boat for the Beretians, partly made with poles she found at the beach) because the water will actually rise slightly higher than it is now and flood the château.

ETA: Then Cuegan will kiss and there will be another sunset. Thus ends time.
Last edited by Angelastic on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

capnbuckle wrote:Ugh...

More pessimism, I'm afraid.

Looking back at the National Geographic map...

http://maroonbeard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Mediterranean-Seafloor-1982.jpg

The Cueganites live at or slightly below 2389 m below sea level. I've simplified the rate of sea rise to a flat rate just for a quick estimate (initially, the Gibraltar channel is small...but the volume required per meter of sea rise is also small...later, Gibraltar channel is larger, but volume required per meter of sea rise is also larger...).

For sea level to rise 2389 m in...let's call it 15 days: That's ~160 m/day.

The difference in elevation from the hills to the head of the Rhône Fan (foot of the Petít Rhône Canyon), 50 miles away, is also ~160 m. Rafts or no rafts, this doesn't bode well.

I was doing exactly this calculation roughly in my head, assuming "several" kilometers (I didn't know the exact depth) and several days and had concluded 20 m rise per hour, but I had assumed much less than 15 days total. Either way, things are likely to be pretty wild on the Cuegan sea. I don't think rafts are going to be the answer. Where are the Eagles?

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

ABOUT THE MODERN TECHNOLOGY AND LANGUAGE CHANGE TOPIC:

There are many people in the field of Linguistics who have suggested that some aspects of modern culture (specifically standardized writing) has had/is having an effect on the rate of language change. However, the idea is controversial. Change certainly still happens: new words are being coined/borrowed and added to everyday usage, words are still shifting meaning over time, new grammar/grammatical constructions are still being created, and changes in the sound systems of languages are still happening. The problem is proving that this change is somehow slower then change that came before, and that is a difficult question, as linguistic change is a devilishly hard thing to quantify.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Perhaps the Cuganites have retreated (thanks to LaPetite's warning) to one of the doomed hills. It won't be underwater yet, and a sufficiently large and motivated group (Rosetta is touched by the Cuegan's valor as they insist they cannot just sit back) could bring materials to that hill, build a big raft, and get people on it just in time for the waters to lift them off of the last remains of land. Then, with yappobiscuits' pirate music in the background, these brave souls row, sail, paddle, or otherwise make their way to land, encountering storms and flying sharks along the way.

Some of them do not make it. Maybe this includes LaPetite. Rosetta survives though.

When they reach land, it is not the Beanie's land; it is yet another foreign region, and it's a good thing that Rosetta speaks a third language.

Jose
Ninja's in part by Angelastic, who had a fine "Thus ends time"
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

hajo

Postby hajo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:now I have no access to Matlab. Excel is oft used here and I use macros

There is lots of free / open software available, for nearly any task, e.g.
* FreeMat / FreeMatPortable
* Octave
* SciPy
to name just a few.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

So much happening, so much real-life preventing proper attention.

ZoomanSP wrote:
sford wrote:Fun day!

Molpy down
Spoiler:
The bull sea lion.

This is an elephant seal.
Spoiler:
Aren't you glad you know.
:wink:

Actually, yes I am glad. Although I am shocked and appalled that someone on the Internet was wrong!

higgs-boson wrote:... something BIG and UGLY has to have happenend for people still to exist as non-enhanced C-based life forms.

Ah, so you are not a follower of the Java-man theory?

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Sadly, I have to go back to my real job for a bit. I wanted to throw one other thing out there, though. Given Randall's recent What Ifs on sea drainings and fillings (ok, bad English, I know), and what I thought I read earlier about how long the Mediterranean filled the original time that Gibraltar was breached, how big a breach are we talking is needed to fill all of the Mediterranean in a matter of a few days??? Could Rosetta have meant that significantly faster sea rising was going to start taking place in a few days, rather than the whole process finishing in that time?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Blind post from 1141

Redundant:
Spoiler:
C3PO.png

C3PO Redundnat.png
C3PO Redundnat.png (95.95 KiB) Viewed 13599 times

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Umm, 2000km of sea rise in 15 days over the entire breadth of the Mediterranean??? What would the bi-sectional area of the straight of Gibraltar have to be to even make sense of that? That seems like an absurd amount of water flow at first glance... but I wouldn't expect Randall to be careless, so there must be a reasonable explanation...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

NoMouse

Re: 1190: "Ketchup Time"

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Image That was a looong ketchup...
NetWeasel wrote:Theory:
Spoiler:
In the late 21st century, in response to the rising sea level, the Mediterranian countries pool funding for the Locks of Hercules Project -- a dam and locks system to stem the rising seas, and keep the Mediterranian Sea at the same level that it was at yet still maintain a trade route.
(Yes, the sea gets more saline through evaporation, but that is a small price to pay)
The Locks, arguably the 9th wonder of the Modern World, were designed to last at least 10,000 years.

Then Antares went supernova, knocking back technology (somehow), and the locks froze/rusted shut.

9000 years later, this happened. My guess is that the Beanies, inquisitive little chaps that they are, came down with a terminal case of "what does this lever do?" and opened a spillway that they cannot close,..

I guess the lever looks something like this:
Spoiler:
(©Rule110, NP 568)
In any case, it wasn't far from the truth after all. :D

capnbuckle wrote:Have a look at the relevant region in this map (I can't get the image to show up, correctly...so you'll just have to follow the link...)

(And I am at neophyte to the OTT. If there is a better way to do this, let me know and I fix! I fix!)

Spoiler:
Looking at the Beanie projection, it looks like the Pretty Neat River is flowing down the deep channel just west of the Maures Escarpment, due west of Corsica, atop the Corso-Ligurian Basin. Cuegan walked quite a ways east along the boundary of that basin before reaching the mouth of the Pretty Neat River. This means that the "Hill People" upriver from them likely live in the Félibres Hills or the La Renaixenca Hills, in the southern vicinity of the Rhône Fan.

Those hills are the problem.

They are significantly elevated from the surrounding terrain, and would be the closest, most obvious "higher ground" upon which the Forty might take refuge. Once those hills are cut off, their fate is sealed without an accomplished seafaring culture...and I don't think there was any talk of sailing vessels or boats of any kind.

Great map! I like what it says in the last paragraph:
Could the Mediterranean have shrunk into a virtual desert? Core samples from the seafloor have revealed salt deposits more than two kilometers thick1 - evidence of almost total evaporation - as well as the extinction of virtually all aquatic life about six million years ago. Geologists believe that long after a connection to the Indian Ocean was shut off, the Mediterranean's gate to the Atlantic was also dammed as Europe and Africa ground together at Gibraltar, reducing the sea within to scattered lakes.2 High above the dry basins, coastal rivers carved steep gorges as they plunged toward the bottom.3 Yet fossils show a return of marine creatures in only half a million years - a geologic eye blink4. Perhaps an earthquake5 or the rising Atlantic5 breached the dam at Gibraltar, reflooding the Mediterranean in an awesome deluge lasting only a century.6

1 That could support the semencoffeesalt theory.
2 Exactly what we have seen in the Beanies' map
3 Answer to "Can water really wear away rock like this?"
4 In this case, it had to be even shorter blink
5 That supports both our main theories
6 This time... "the sea will fill not in years but in DAYS".
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Umm, 2000km of sea rise in 15 days over the entire breadth of the Mediterranean??? What would the bi-sectional area of the straight of Gibraltar have to be to even make sense of that? That seems like an absurd amount of water flow at first glance... but I wouldn't expect Randall to be careless, so there must be a reasonable explanation...

I think you meant 2000m, but yes, this was my point, too. Especially since he has explored these exact issues in his recent What If articles.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Umm, 2000km of sea rise in 15 days over the entire breadth of the Mediterranean??? What would the bi-sectional area of the straight of Gibraltar have to be to even make sense of that? That seems like an absurd amount of water flow at first glance... but I wouldn't expect Randall to be careless, so there must be a reasonable explanation...

2000m. 2 km. There isn't enough water period to rise 2000 km.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:

I think you meant 2000m, but yes, this was my point, too. Especially since he has explored these exact issues in his recent What If articles.

sorry yes 2000m. So assuming an average depth increase of 1km, an area of about 2,000,000 km2, that would be 2,000,000 km3 of water. In 20 days that would be a flow rate of 100,000 km3 per day, through the straight of Gibraltar which has at absolute most a bi-sectional area of 14 km2 today (14km across and 900m at its deepest). So lets say 20 km2 for easy math and to be super conservative... that's water moving at 5,000 km/day...

edited to hide idiocy! (I miscalculated the km/hr, shhh, don't tell)
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote: So assuming an average depth increase of 1km, an area of about 2,000,000 km2, that would be 2,000,000 km3 of water. In 20 days that would be a flow rate of 100,000 km3 per day, through the straight of Gibraltar which has at a conservative maximum bi-sectional area of 14 km2 today (14km across and 900m at its deepest). Ok, I forget how to calculate flow rate :oops: be right back...
Let's make the bi-sectional area 10 km2, so every day a slug1 of water 10,000 km long by 10 km2 in cross-sectional area would pass through it.

At 25 hours/day, that's 400 km/hr flow rate. Faster than a bullet train. Faster than most prop planes. Not faster than a speeding bullet, but more powerful than a locomotive. Able to completely erase tall buildings and the ground they used to stand on.

Prepare to say 'ouch'.

Of course, that's presuming the 20 day time period is correct.

Jose
1A slug, not a slug. Not a slug either.
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

on your mark, get set, ONG
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ONG

AGH!
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

The world you knew is ending
but fortune (fate) has delivered
you from the flood.
You did not intend to leave your home forever,
but be thankful (grateful) you left when you did.

devrelm

Postby devrelm » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Cueball wrote:But—

I can't be the only one on the verge of tears right now...

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Rosetta wrote:... but be grateful you left when you did.

Rosetta: You two shall be the start of a new race of Cueganites. We have prepared the coma-slab-room so that you can begin right away.

And thus the shippers get their due.

Jose

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Time Travelers: Welcome to Beacon Beta.

I'm asked to report my position to the Present, and so do I. Though it's quite a strange place for a beacon, don't you think? Right there, alone in the middle of NP 1116...

It's an exciting time in the OTC right here, but you already know that of course. I hope I'll be able to ketchup in two or three dips, but you guys (and girls) make it hard. The current pace is hard to keep up with. Fortunately that usually slows down on wip-ends.
Last edited by Pikrass on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

ucim wrote:And thus the shippers get their due.

Shippers? There are about, 9 characters in this whole thing. Three of whom are practically identical.
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
So assuming an average depth increase of 1km, an area of about 2,000,000 km2, that would be 2,000,000 km3 of water. In 20 days that would be a flow rate of 100,000 km3 per day, through the straight of Gibraltar which has at a conservative maximum bi-sectional area of 14 km2 today (14km across and 900m at its deepest). Ok, I forget how to calculate flow rate :oops: be right back...
Let's make the bi-sectional area 10 km2, so every day a slug1 of water 10,000 km long by 10 km2 in cross-sectional area would pass through it.

At 25 hours/day, that's 400 km/hr flow rate. Faster than a bullet train. Faster than most prop planes. Not faster than a speeding bullet, but more powerful than a locomotive. Able to completely erase tall buildings and the ground they used to stand on.

Prepare to say 'ouch'.

Jose

So what you're saying is that the flow would be massively fast and that, (sl)inching aweigh, The Forty will meet their end being pounded by tons of water? That's heavy! :cry:

myhelfy

Postby myhelfy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

I am disgustingly filled with admiration. For everything. Everywhere. All over.

I know there's crazy-huge-exciting things happening in the OTC right now and that's a bad time for a forever-lurker (i.e., since the first page of this thread was *the* page of this thread) to make a first post that isn't directly working through a current dilemma, but this whole journey Randall's taken us on has left me increasingly impressed. Not just with him -- I think we've long known how stunningly creative, intelligent and meticulous he is, and how varied and wide-ranging his mastery is of a huge range of subjects. But with... us.

Or, well, you. I just got here as a poster. :)

I know this kinda thing has been said before -- at this point in the thread, I feel almost like every topic in existence has likely been said before -- but I have absolutely adored seeing how this thread has evolved with the story, and how different posters have come out of the woodwork to offer whatever expertise they have that matches the scene folks are analyzing. From...

• the initial programming (and subsequent improvement work) done to track newpix and compare differences from one to the next;
  • to the architecture analysis as the sandcastle was built;
  • to the cartography work as Cuegan began their travels;
  • to the identification and classification of vegetation/animals and the attempt to place them geographically;
  • to the absolutely incredible star-chart analyses;
  • to the intricate dissection of a language heretofore unseen by man or beast;
  • to the ultimate pinpointing of Cuegan's specific location and time in Earth's history;
  • to the attempts to de-mustard Rosetta's halting translations (which is, at last, the one thing in the OTC that I feel I can finally do pretty well by myself, instead of waiting for others to do the expert analysis for me);
  • and everything else in between (including all the off-topic, colorful stuff, not least of which includes the development of what's nearly become an internal dialect only understood by people who post/lurk in this thread),

the entire comic -- and the epic thread I feel honored have an excuse to finally post in -- has highlighted the passion, the expertise, the diversity and the camaraderie of a stunningly large and diverse array of people from around the world. I'm amazed, and I'm humbled, and I'm tremendously thankful to all of you for the mind-boggling amount that I've learned about our past, our possible future, and the myriad pieces of knowledge and brilliance that each of us hold in our minds (and fingers) and choose to bring forward in order to educate, enlighten and share with their community.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. And to Randall for making it all happen. :)

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

devrelm wrote:
Cueball wrote:But—

I can't be the only one on the verge of tears right now...

You're not. :cry:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

So... The flooding occurred after this frame?

I realize that in the previous frames Cueball said the "thing" looked like it held "something", so there probably wasn't a telescope in the tower, only a place to set a telescope. So, they couldn't see very far, but wouldn't they have been able to see far enough to realize the sea was much closer than it should have been? That it covered land they had traversed?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Ketchup photomanip:

Spoiler:
BSG-Time.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
So assuming an average depth increase of 1km, an area of about 2,000,000 km2, that would be 2,000,000 km3 of water. In 20 days that would be a flow rate of 100,000 km3 per day, through the straight of Gibraltar which has at a conservative maximum bi-sectional area of 14 km2 today (14km across and 900m at its deepest). Ok, I forget how to calculate flow rate :oops: be right back...

Prepare to say 'ouch'.

Jose

So what you're saying is that the flow would be massively fast and that, (sl)inching aweigh, The Forty will meet their end being pounded by tons of water? That's heavy! :cry:

Well, it wouldn't be that fast out where they are, it would be much slower, this is just the choke point at Gibraltar.

The question then becomes, how deep would the ocean have to be at the opening of the straight of Gibraltar to make water flow that fast? Would a sea level at or close to our current level even have the pressure to create that kind of flow?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”