1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jovialbard

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:new alt-text?!?!?

WOW! I was actually just checking it a few hours ago because I thought it might change now! But it hadn't yet! But now it did! Cool!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Ashaman wrote:Their only real hope, without knowing the full extent of the sea level rise, is that the terrain between them and the eventual shoreline has no local peaks, it's always uphill the whole way. And that would seem to be unlikely if they are living below a group of small hills.

However, if they follow the river the whole way and are quick enough, they could be fine. There are no local hilltops on a river. It would be wise to do so anyway, since they need water and it is likely scarce in this entire environment. I think that is the only safe way.

Excellent point. And given the need for drinking water, this seems like a pretty likely choice.

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Ashaman wrote:Their only real hope, without knowing the full extent of the sea level rise, is that the terrain between them and the eventual shoreline has no local peaks, it's always uphill the whole way. And that would seem to be unlikely if they are living below a group of small hills.

However, if they follow the river the whole way and are quick enough, they could be fine. There are no local hilltops on a river. It would be wise to do so anyway, since they need water and it is likely scarce in this entire environment. I think that is the only safe way.

Excellent point. And given the need for drinking water, this seems like a pretty likely choice.

They'll end up somewhere in Spain though, hundreds of kilometers away. If they survive, they'll never see them again anyway.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

edfel wrote:So I'm not yet settled on how I will modify the map from now on... the small-scale data is still most interesting, but I could extend in all directions to include the Beanie's data.... and again to include topographic data from all Earth. How can all this be integrated in only one map? radial log scale? tools like openstreetmap? using three different pages?
Spoiler:
I'll be struggling to keep the "mouseover panorama" also, but it's the occasion to try different features...

In any case, the current map will be kept as "pre-revelation map".

Btw, if the mediterranean has dried out, then can we conclude that semencancercaffeinatedbaconbabiesonice/sand is actually... salt? has the hypothesis already been up during the first ages?
Can someone build large structures in salt?

teddy, aka nickjbor wrote:Are you the fellow who runs the map
uh, do you need some help 'updating' it :P I got free time.

I'm not good at delegating (and I guess you didn't look at the code before offering help:P) but yes I could use some help^^
The discussions on how the map should evolve can be moved to the [currently outdated] mapping page of the wiki, anyone can join :)
For technical realization, we'll get a clearer picture of how to do things once we know what to do, so I might be able to do that on my own or need to ask for help... we'll see!

Blind post, so maybe this has all been said before, but I'd go for two separate maps:
1) The existing one, which chronicles Cuegan's travels. Extend when needed, fix up based on Beanie information where necessary (but you may not need to do much more than add a compass rose with N pointing ↗).
2) A new one, on a much smaller scale, and less detail, with the “known Beanie world”.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Prediction:

And then maybe Megan comes in for the reach around.

Spoiler:
kissing.png

Seems like a practical approach. You've lost your entire civilization ... let's start another one.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

mscha, do your scripts collect alt-text? You might want to start!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

New alt-text?

I noted a few pages ago that she said "There is no more time".

Maybe things will speed up again now.

Also, Ursula Le Guin: "you can never go home".

Also also, does this sea business shed any light (ha ha) on the strange brightness on the left when dusk fell?

Finally, I still think of those following the OTT that I'm the nearest person geographically to where the action is. Am I about to get wet?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

Wait, what? The Time has ended just now?
Spoiler:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

The "it" we were waiting for seems about to happen. Does the alt-text mean the end of Time? It feels more like the end of Act 1 to me. Or to put it another way:

That's what the first part of waiting for it looks like.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:Was I the only one who heard "dun DUN DUNNNN!!!" at that last line?

not really...

NetWeasel wrote:
Caswallon wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:03 pm UTC
moody7277 wrote:Worth the waitONG
Spoiler:
I got a chill at the question.
I'm willing to bet the answer is:
"WE ARE ON THE SHORE OF THE ORIGINAL SEA."

That seems most likely.

Followed by
bum bum BUM!!!!!
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:I, for one, will continue to ...

:shock: :cry: :shock: :cry: :shock:

I will also continue to ...
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Decree: Continue to follow the new divine command and ...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Maybe it's just commercial break...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

New alt text... whoa!

The waiting is over.

IT has begun.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Unless there's a waterfall, they could get easily trapped in a canyon or at the bottom of a hundred foot ledge if they follow their river. It may be the "safer" path, but that word takes on a different meaning when you're standing at the bottom of what's about to become a sea.

HES

Re: 1190: "..."

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

It's ok, because...
Valarya wrote:@yappobiscuits: saw this today, thought of you! :mrgreen: Bonus: baby ottermolpies

D'awwwww!

ETA the alt-text change does signify an act change to me - it is now (very well) established that we are waiting for it (the next frame, at least); Now we simply continue.
Last edited by HES on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:They'll end up somewhere in Spain though, hundreds of kilometers away. If they survive, they'll never see them again anyway.

They'll be in Ibiza. Because people still go to Ibiza to party. (Of course, it's mountaintop lodges, not just nightclubs, now.)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

THIS should be the start of the new Eon, I think. Or maybe even a new, bigger subdivision.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

:shock: Who knows if the next newpix will even come (GLR only of course). Alas, I must away for several hours* so I won't know for awhile. I guess all any of us can do is
Spoiler:
*I used hours here since I'm not sure how many newpixes it'll be. We may have run out of them.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Most likely the 40 would go up a mountain to escape the sea. But if that mountain isn't tall enough, they'll be surrounded by water unable to escape the rising ocean (sea) and drown.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Wait1, what was the end of Montecristo? "“All human wisdom is contained in these two words--"Wait and Hope.”" - So maybe this was the "Wait" part, now comes the "Hope" part. We will have to hope that The 40 have survived...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:cONGtinue speculatiONG
Spoiler:

OMR, it is!

also, 400. penis.

I suppose we have to
Spoiler:

Idet: ninja'd by TimeLurker
Last edited by taixzo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Wow. I've been out for months of outsider time... I check in about once a weekapix. And I haven't even been back to the forums since it all began. And now I arrive right when this ... is happenning. What now?!

Last edited by digimuzik on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Is there any significance in the current newpix # or date? Or is it simply a convenient point in the story ...
He/Him/His Image

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Wait1, what was the end of Montecristo? "“All human wisdom is contained in these two words--"Wait and Hope.”" - So maybe this was the "Wait" part, now comes the "Hope" part. We will have to hope that The 40 have survived...

Hope for it.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

Next, Rosetta will say:
"There's that other people, to the North, and their zeppelins. Maybe..."
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:48 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Prediction:

next frame Megan: No.
Alt text: Time to go.

PS: Mscha: when did the mustardy M2466 frame get fixed?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

apsmith

Postby apsmith » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

In this context the "Doomsday argument" seems apropos:
supposing the humans alive today are in a random place in the whole human history timeline, chances are we are about halfway through it

(and can have 95% confidence we're at least 5% through, and another 95% confidence we're no more than 95% through).

This of course applies to newpix as well - with 90% confidence we can assert the OTC will end somewhere between newpix 3074 and newpix 58560 (if my calculations are correct). :)
Last edited by apsmith on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

How is it I've goated myself two (maybe even three!) NPs in a row? :P

I love the "Hope for it..." ideas based on the end of Count of Monte Cristo. It's all related, because that's one of those movies I can watch 100 times and never get bored. Related for me, specifically. :wink:

(Anyone else feel terrible that we've witnessed so much news, sadness and even NEW ALT TEXT while BlitzGirl is away?)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

I think the "..." is like a moment of silence for those presumed lost.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Blindposting from a page back to say that I too am nearly in tears. Megball's friends and family are going to die if help can't get to them quickly, and it doesn't look like it can. Given some other comics, I wouldn't put it past Randall to kill them all.

Remember this frame?
Spoiler:

Yes, it is. And not just the sandcastle. Everything they passed on their walk. All the molpies. The wowtrees. The neat tree. The tiny river and the wowterfall. The raptorcat. Everything. Gone in an unstoppable torrent of water.

And now, what's this?! The alt text has changed?! This can't be the end of Time, can it?

I need a hug.

P.S. Rosetta: Don't start getting all cozy with Cueball. HE BELONGS WITH MEGAN! :evil:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:(Anyone else feel terrible that we've witnessed so much news, sadness and even NEW ALT TEXT while BlitzGirl is away?)

Yes... very suspicious... Image ...maybe BlitzGirl is Randall Image

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:(Anyone else feel terrible that we've witnessed so much news, sadness and even NEW ALT TEXT while BlitzGirl is away?)

I've never seen them in the same room together.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

RUN.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
(new alt-text!)

Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

What might an Outsider think if xe sees the OTC now for the first time? Three people, one with ε hair, standing in a room1 with a window4, the title "Time", and an alt-text that doesn't explain anything ...

ETA: alt-text-ninja'd by GLR. Not that it is much clearer now...
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Last-second prediction:

Hairdo: Oh wait, through that door behind my desk is a spaceship w/ functioning teleportation technology. We can save everyone and I forgot all about it.
Cuegan: ....

Edit: And I was as wrong as I imagined I would be.
Last edited by pkcommando on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

"RUN." !!!
Last edited by SinusPi on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:RUN.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
(new alt-text!)

Holy cow, maybe it is a trap!

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

RUNONG for it!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

We must obey GLR's every command! *goes for a run*
Moose Anus wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

I've never seen them in the same room together.

Yeah! And we know she's a good artist... it all adds up! :shock:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”