1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Not reciting the rest of the dream, Cue? But it sounded so interesting and plot-relevant!

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Well, for now they must just RUN. Moply down, too lazy to attach an image. Imagine some cute kitten or something. :)

ETA: And now I must add the pope thing... Well, since it's Sunday in most parts of the world, just RUN. It's good for your health (or so I heard) :p

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Not reciting the rest of the dream, Cue? But it sounded so interesting and plot-relevant!

I guess maybe he didn't want to talk about it any further? I mean, if almost everyone I knew and loved was facing imminent death I think I'd stop talking about the rising water. Also Cue might not want to worry Megan.

I have to admit I wanted to hear the rest of it.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
ggh wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Here are the "eyes" made visible by extreme adjustment of the levels.

I can't see this window any more except as a stained-glass representation of a drowning man, hands on either side of his head holding on to a rope or something.

ETA: the rope would have to be behind his head though, which is weird.

Blindposting from 1167. . .

I keep seeing it as the top half of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's head peering over a wall. . .

Spoiler:
Last edited by hunjoh on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:12 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Well, for now they must just RUN. Moply down, too lazy to attach an image. Imagine some cute kitten or something. :)

ETA: And now I must add the pope thing... Well, since it's Sunday in most parts of the world, just RUN. It's good for your health (or so I heard) :p

Ehhh...I already ran this morning (errr *checks watch* yeah, this morning, not midnight yet here), and I only promised myself to do it 3 times a week :P

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:20 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:On the subject of misreading Eternal Density, how many of you have been misreading my username as Angeltastic all this time?

Uhh...*raises hand*

Had to look not once, but twice after reading that to see what your name really was. Just goes to show how we see what we expect to see.

{P1083}
How much of the rest of the Tread have y'all simply made up? I know it's not only ChronosDragon doing this. Now go back, all of you, and read it properly. I'll wait here for you. Lickettysplit and no lollygagging.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Man earthquakes make me seasick!

I wonder if the water breaking though the straights is enough to create the feel of earthquakes on it's own.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:28 am UTC

Blindposting to say that I wish GLR would stop filling the sea and causing this seismic nonsense. It's scary. :(
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Cake Time!

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Cakes for Angelastic:
Spoiler:

and b2bomberkrh:
Spoiler:

and HAL9000:
Spoiler:

Hm, found no real cake for you, HAL.

But don't worry. I'll bring some cake (two, in fact) myself later today.

Man, I unrock at speeches. (I wonder what's the Newspeak word for 'speech'.)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jeffallen55

Re: Cake Time!

Postby jeffallen55 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:45 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Man, I unrock at speeches. (I wonder what's the Newspeak word for 'speech'.)

Plusquack. That's my vote.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:57 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:@keithl, you were the one who first brought up seismic activity triggered by the weight of inflowing water, so I have another question: ③ How much might the Med basin and the surrounding former coastline have risen as petatons of sea water evaporated? Enough to be significant?

I think so.

If we look at post-glacial rebound we can see the effect of removing the weight of large volumes of water. This article (https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/ndnotes/Reb ... ebound.htm) states "The earth's crust behaves as an elastic structure and glaciologists know that, once the ice reaches a certain thickness, it depresses the crust about a foot for every three feet of ice." (Emphasis mine) Given that sea water is a little more dense than ice, this would seem to be a good lower bound.

keithl wrote:Safety of various shoreline places:
The volume of the Mediterranean is 3,750,000 km3, the average depth is 1,500m...

So an average of 500 meters of rebound once the water is removed. More significantly, 500 meters of depression in a matter of months as the water flows back in, in an area that others have noted is crossed by faults. (Would this cause the depth of the Straight of Gibraltar to increase as the water fills the adjacent Mediterranean basin? Independent of new erosion?)

Note: Anticipating the question of how fast the land could rise or fall, here is a quote from Wikipedia on the subject. "Studies have shown that the uplift has taken place in two distinct stages. The initial uplift following deglaciation was near-instantaneous due to the elastic response of the crust as the ice load was removed. After this elastic phase, uplift proceeded by slow viscous flow so the rate of uplift decreased exponentially after that. "
Last edited by hunjoh on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:58 am UTC

keithl wrote:
Nilpferdschaf wrote:Château d'If is/was 30 km^2 big, so their little village is probably safe for now.

30 km2 is an error on wikipedia, propagating an error from an unsourced Lonely Planet guidebook page. If you look at actual satellite photos of the place, and use GIMP histogram to count pixels and compare scales, Château d'If is closer to 3 hectares, 0.03 km2. I've informed the Appropriate Authorities, and expect to be Officially Ignored, but we can look for ourselves, can't we?

I traced back the history. Wikipedia originally said 3 hectares, which someone later converted to 30,000m2 (so far so good). Unfortunately, someone (perhaps at Lonely Planet) later tried to convert 30,000m2 into km2 and ended up with 30km2 instead of 0.03km2(not so good). I corrected it back.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 am UTC

ArrivONG at the tower
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Oh yay, we can finally piece together these buildings!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:06 am UTC

I wonder if the last "scenery walk" matched up with the last weekend or not? Might give us an idea when the "excitement" will return?
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:06 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:ArrivONG at the tower
Spoiler:

I am really intrigued by these structures (ruins?) that they keep walking through, sleeping in. They look old, but must have been built after the water receded. I wish we know more about the history of these.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:12 am UTC

shurikt wrote:Ha ha! Which one of you edited that Wikipedia article to include us?

(Guiltily raises hand)

Isn't that what one's supposed to do on Wikipedia?

Another thought. Somebody mentioned nominating the OTC for a Hugo award. I would think Cory Doctorow would be up for doing so, and I've always found him amazingly good at answering e-mail. Perhaps a better-established Timewaiter might like to approach him?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Megball, Megball, you were RUNNING to the tower, and now you're taking the time to NAP? Does that make any sense..?

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:17 am UTC

hunjoh wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:ArrivONG at the tower
Spoiler:

I am really intrigued by these structures (ruins?) that they keep walking through, sleeping in. They look old, but must have been built after the water receded. I wish we know more about the history of these.

Remember, if the stargazers are correct, this takes place farther in the future from us than the current age of the pyramids, or even the city of Ur.

So they can be old, and built after the water receded.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Bridal Party Blindpost

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Glad to see that the OTT is still moving along, but at a slower pace. :wink: This is a blindpost, as I desperately need coma, but I just wanted to check in and let y'all know that the wedding was wowterful and very fun! Time now for me to coma, pack up, and travel quite a long way...via car, which is a lot slower than a plane but a lot faster than having to RUN, I must say. Molpy down for now!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:47 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Well, for now they must just RUN. Moply down, too lazy to attach an image. Imagine some cute kitten or something. :)

I did! 10km this morning, with a few others:

Spoiler:

Latent22 and ggh, hope you're OK over there - that sounded like a big one :(

Did Cueball mean he dreamed of water just now? My first thought was of frame 1130:

I guess that might not be the first thing you'd say if you woke up in the water though. But it definitely has more ominous foreshadowing implications now.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Did Cueball mean he dreamed of water just now? My first thought was of frame 1130:

I guess that might not be the first thing you'd say if you woke up in the water though. But it definitely has more ominous foreshadowing implications now.

I think this relates to some incident in the past which might explain their fear of swimming in the river...
frame 1041
Go Minim go!

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:57 am UTC

:idea: Prediction (obvious): They should now climb the tower to see ahead and make plans.
:idea: Prediction (wild): They should take apart the wheel from the tower and take it with them. Once they reach the other tower, they should take apart that wheel too and then build themselves a pair of bicycle. Mountain ones. (I assume, of course, that these wheels are covered with ever-lasting shock-absorbing rubber-like material. ALT-TEXT will be then replaced to "Roll".
It's about time.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:02 am UTC

RestockONG
It's about time.

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 am UTC

Eliram wrote:RestockONG

Any ideas what the purpose of that structure might have been? It looks man made, but has such an odd shape... maybe a dijk?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:07 am UTC

DOESANONGINANEMPTYOTTMAKEASOUND?

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:19 am UTC

spamjam wrote:DOESANONGINANEMPTYOTTMAKEASOUND?

I hope the OTTers are all above water level. :roll:
Cueball, the food was standing there for at least two days in the sun. I don't think they'll mind.
It's about time.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Flado wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
azule wrote:
Exodies wrote:Does anyone here know anyone else here irl? Do you think you would enjoy <this> more or less if your real life friends were here?
-- snip --

I get something of both worlds. One daughter is reading along; my wife and other daughter just nod and smile tolerantly.

Same here, except the other daughter and the wife have no idea what we're up to (and talking about).
I'd definitely enjoy this more if more of my Outside friends were non-heretical. And, of course, if I had knowledge of that fact. Come to think of it, I do have an Outside friend who lives in Amstelveen...

That wouldn't be me, by any chance? Image (Probably not, you'd know it was me, I'm mscha pretty much everywhere.)

Nah, http://www.mscha.org displays your name on the front, so I'm sure it's not you (either that, or you've gone to great lengths to fool me). I don't mind having more friends in Amstelveen, though, heretical or enlightened :-) .
And, for the record, I haven't read anything ontopicy on this 1171th page, just the answers to my pre-coma posts (Ctrl-F), so my blitz should still be kosher.
On the other hand, I just got a tempogram saying that the One True Commandment has mutated :shock: and I feel I must obey. Schizoblitzing!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

lgw

Postby lgw » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Eliram wrote:I hope the OTTers are all above water level. :roll:

Funny you should mention that. I just got a notice today "You are being contacted because your property is located in the existing or proposed 100-year floodplain ..." :shock: Eesh ... GOMHR!
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 am UTC

Guiltong

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:15 am UTC

lgw wrote:Speaking of music, "Time" and "Run" are tracks from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. The start of "Time" actually fits the start of Time pretty well IMO:
Spoiler:
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
While Cuegan has a more immediate reason to RUN than realizing they need to find something productive to do with their lives, the "hero's journey" is often a metaphor for accepting adult responsibility anyhow, so I think it fits.

Not to mention these lyrics from "Brain Damage" and the current situation:
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:I did! 10km this morning, with a few others:

Spoiler:

Nice! Funny, I was thinking of filking Shihad's "Run" for you, but then when I actually looked up the words, I realized that the original was more of a downer than I had thought.

xpatiate wrote:Latent22 and ggh, hope you're OK over there - that sounded like a big one :(

Seems like it's more of a hassle for the folks cleaning up the aisles at New World than anything else, but I find it scary. Lotsa little aftershocks... I do not like them.

xpatiate wrote:Did Cueball mean he dreamed of water just now? My first thought was of frame 1130:

Y'know, I always thought that scene was for comedy, and now that I don't, I miss our old innocence.

Nilpferdschaf wrote:
Eliram wrote:RestockONG
Any ideas what the purpose of that structure might have been? It looks man made, but has such an odd shape... maybe a dijk?

Hmm - you could be right. Having just a 2D slice could be very misleading right now.
Picture 3.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Man earthquakes make me seasick!

I wonder if the water breaking though the straights is enough to create the feel of earthquakes on it's own.

A friend of mine works for the EQC and he just mentioned a 6.8 near Wellington in the last few hours. I hope you and yours are all safe and sound!
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

mk_chem

Postby mk_chem » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:00 am UTC

ninjONG?

or simply my first ONG?

(wanted to do an ONG before TIME ends, though i hope it wont very soon!)

EDIT: yay, no need to ninja anyone, my posts are not regarded as spam anymore :D

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 am UTC

lgw wrote:

Funny you should mention that. I just got a notice today "You are being contacted because your property is located in the existing or proposed 100-year floodplain ..." :shock: Eesh ... GOMHR!

Oh dear. That sounds like the kind of message that Rosetta would distribute to the people in danger, if she wanted to avoid panic.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:28 am UTC

mk_chem wrote:ninjONG?

or simply my first ONG?

Spoiler:

(wanted to do an ONG before TIME ends, though i hope it wont very soon!)

EDIT: yay, no need to ninja anyone, my posts are not regarded as spam anymore :D

It's Sunday, and early morning in the US. All is quiet in the OTT.
Over here, though, it's the middle of a regular work day, so even I got an ONG. Sweet.

lgw wrote:

Darn predictions... :?

For some strange reason I just read Cueball's text as "Our POPE isn't strong enough". Hmm.
It's about time.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 am UTC

You'd think they'd at least run to the tower and look back the way they came from to see if the water had risen visibly since they came through last time, and to see if any beanies were following them or just visible going about their business. I'm still thinking there must be some kind of long distance communication system, too. When the eyes first appeared on the window of the castle, I thought it was somehow connected with that. Of course if that were the case, the beanies might have signaled back to home base before they packed up the scope and headed back on foot, and we saw no sign of that.

Question: what was it that creeped Cuegan out about Hypatia? It seems she was quite friendly, open, and helpful to me. I think I would have stayed to brainstorm with her on technology the beanies might have that could help them save their people.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:Question: what was it that creeped Cuegan out about Hypatia? It seems she was quite friendly, open, and helpful to me. I think I would have stayed to brainstorm with her on technology the beanies might have that could help them save their people.

I don't know why but I found her kind of intimidating. It is hard to get an exact kind of tone of voice from what she was saying because she was clearly strugglng to communicate. One thing you could tell was that her command for the 3 beanies to leave was followed immediately so I think that when she referred to herself as their leader she could have stuck to her other option as their "ruler". She is clearly well educated and is likely not just a leader but some form of royalty to the beanies(she does live in a reconstucted castle and if this is indeed 10000 years in the future it may be fully reconstructed from pictures just to prove that it could be built).
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Remember, if the stargazers are correct, this takes place farther in the future from us than the current age of the pyramids, or even the city of Ur.

So they can be old, and built after the water receded.

However, the Med basin has only been drying out for less than 1000 years, if estimates are correct. There is some water still in the low spots (their sea), so it isn't completely dry. But as they are high up, it would have dried out here earlier.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:04 am UTC

NO STOPPONG FOR TOWERS
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”