1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:I have a general question about the three viewers:

http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2842, for example, says:
Geekwagon: frame 2847
Book of Aubron: frame 2850

Does that mean that there are at least five frames on Geekwagon, and three more on Aubron, that are not on mscha's viewer? I'm confused why the maintainers of these viewers allowed this situation to persist in the early days, if so.

There are three frames on Aubron that are considered apocryphal, they were apparently a server error. Also, the meteor frames are numbered differently on the different viewers. Note that mscha's index has the cross reference. http://xkcd.mscha.org/time.html#bot
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Does that mean that there are at least five frames on Geekwagon, and three more on Aubron, that are not on mscha's viewer? I'm confused why the maintainers of these viewers allowed this situation to persist in the early days, if so.

The differences are:
  1. Apocryphal frames. Something went wrong, way back, and two separate series of images were released every newpix. The GLR later fixed this by making the images for both series identical, but you can see the original ones in my viewer. The canonical listing (i.e. mine) lists those as 256a, 257a and 258a; Aubron has them as 256, 257 and 258, and continues with 259, 260, 261 (which are identical to its 256, 257, 258) where the canonical listing has 256, 257, 258; and Geekwagon doesn't have them at all.
  2. Meteor frames. These 5 frames appeared, between (canonical) frames 2440 and 2441, in short succession. Since they arrived outside of the regular schedule, the canonical list numbers them 2440a-2440e. (This way, you can still relatively simply convert an Outside timestamp to a newpix number.) Both Aubron and Geekwagon just numbered those through, 2444-2448 and 2441-2445.

Ninja'd by SBN, but leaving it up for the details.

ETA: Page pope... Decree: pray to the GLR or the deity of your choice for the safe return of the rest of the 40. Or not, if you don't want to.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Hoping somone answers this better than my attempt...

ETA: Oh, good, they did
Spoiler:
OK...Hypothetical situation: you have, for weeks, seen a new frame coming in at the top of the hour, like clockwork. So you write all your grabbing and presentation scripts accordingly.

One morning you find out that during one of those hours last night, 6 different frames showed up, 2 minutes apart.

You have two main choices:
A. renumber all the following frames and rewite all your scripts to cover this aberration and prepare for any others.
B. call the extra frames XXXXa, XXXXb, and so on.

What happens if one person does A and another B?

That's basically what we've got (in principle if not actual numbers.)

One person has frames numbered XXXa, XXXb, XXXc -- another has the same frames numbered XXX, XXX+1, XXX+2.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Does the current newpix win the award for most text in a single frame? :shock:

Nice to see you too, pelrigg!
@free-bee: Apologies if it felt like we were piling on, but we hear that sort of comment a lot, so we tend to joke about it a lot.

MajorDouble7 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for bumping this, Major, I'd missed it. :)

Quite welcome :wink: Even though I'm sure I didn't follow protocol in Bumping a FirstPost. :oops:

As far as I know, we have no specific protocol for that, so you did just fine. :mrgreen: And even if there was a protocol, some of us would follow it, some of us would ignore it, and the rest of us would run around screeching ni ni ni chupamolpy grapevine grapevine or some variant thereof.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Hey people, I'm Jazz, I joined last night in case you weren't there.

Newpic: Predication of what the stuff is in the water:
Spoiler:
dead bodies from the people who stayed behind or the group that the village folk wanted to wait for

1190 is heating up, big time... :O
This place is ending and its time to go.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

Jokern wrote:
hunjoh wrote:
Spoiler:
content removed because i cannot post links. :(

I don't know. From watching the video it seems to me that you would need to enlarge the opening by at least a couple orders of magnitude to make the water in the basin slosh around.

In this video the scale is too large for the 100m waves to be visible.

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is hard wrapping one's head around how big this event truly is.

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

They are called waves Cueball. They are not floating on the water, they are the water. Or maybe tree trunks or the remains of other settlements. Stop looking at me with your creepy blank stare.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

In case things start speeding up, do any of the scripts save backups every minute? We don't want to miss some...
Knowing how dedicated OTT is, I would assume so, just checking.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

I guess waves do make more sense then white-->bodies<--white
But if the waves were really 100 meters in the actual event, then we should be able to judge if the thing Cueball sees ARE waves by how far away he is from the water, right? How far away is he from the water? Or do the waves start out small, and then get up to full size later?
Something about the passive handwriting and small typeset makes me think Cueball already knows that they are white-->bodies<--white and is trying to reassure himself against that.

We could probably figure out how far Randall made these in advance/ if at all by analyzing the handwriting/drawing style over the first few frames of OTC, then comparing it to the stuff he was making at that time for the main xkcd.
Unless xkcd strips are made in advance, too...

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
So Chrome is the only one paying attention to the specified gamma, but even without a specified gamma, there are two different interpretations of the color: #535353 and #696969.

What does the Photoshop/otherimageeditor say? I don't have it here right by me to check.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:In case things start speeding up, do any of the scripts save backups every minute? We don't want to miss some...
Knowing how dedicated OTT is, I would assume so, just checking.

But of course. If I'm not mistaken, mscha runs a script that directly gets images from auto-updating javascript. Mscha is The God.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
FullOfIt wrote:
mscha wrote:I ran it on the affected images, and it turns out that in all cases, the following segment was removed:

Code: Select all

gAMA {1.0000}

i.e. the original version explicitly set the gamma to 1.0, while the corrected version doesn't specify a gamma.
If you open, for instance, frame 2842 in Chrome, you'll see the effect: the original version is much lighter than the current xkcd version. (Firefox shows the darker one for both versions.)

Interesting. I tried both images (current and original) in Opera, Chrome and Firefox. Opera displays both identically. Chrome displays the original very bright. But my Firefox (which I assume is up-to-date, version 22.0) displays which is somewhere in between in darkness (both versions of the image are identical).

Here's a comparison. Opera is on the left, Firefox on the right:
I tested the color of the lightest gray area of frame 2842 it in all browsers I've got installed (on Windows 7):

Browser: original/new
Firefox 22: #696969/#696969
Chrome 29: #999999/#535353
IE 10: #535353/#535353
Opera 12: #535353/#535353
Upgraded to Opera 15: #535353/#535353
Safari : #696969/#696969

So Chrome is the only one paying attention to the specified gamma, but even without a specified gamma, there are two different interpretations of the color: #535353 and #696969.

By the way, my ancient Paint Shop Pro (which apparently doesn't even see the gamma setting) says that the raw color is #535353 in both the original and current image.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Does the current newpix win the award for most text in a single frame? :shock:

<snip>
@free-bee: Apologies if it felt like we were piling on, but we hear that sort of comment a lot, so we tend to joke about it a lot.
<snip>

I just went through the other 3,026 frames and yes, this one does break the record.

It's okay, I laughed.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

The pups and I are quite anxious. They think that the stuff in the water is debris, presaging the arrival of bad, bad mojo water.

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

The kids told us ...

What a derogatory nomination of the most honored citizen of the nation of Forty, La Petite! I feel otterly offended! :x
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

SwimmONG

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does it feel like we are getting close to the climax?

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I think we need an ENHANCE on the (presumed) reflection off of Cueball's (presumed) eyeballs, to get a glimpse of whatever he's seeing out there. Anyone?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Does the current newpix win the award for most text in a single frame? :shock:

Not anymore. Image

jazz14456 wrote:Is it just me, or does it feel like we are getting close to the climax?

I think (and fear) you may be right. The pace of the OTC is now so fast (compared to what we were used to), it pretty much has to be.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:SwimmONG
Spoiler:

Megan just said "don't split the party!!"
They're DOOOOOOOOOOMED

Side note, she should be exhausted -- rest while you send some of the others to get the people in camp quickly!
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

"My cousin says she can swim across a river."

"Well, can he carry all of us?"

Is GLR entering the pronoun argument?

I's ALL related! (Especially the cousin.)

Edited to use mscha's original, for posterity's sake.
Last edited by taixzo on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:He could change the FLOOD into FLOYD. Not sure if that would improve matters though.
This made me think of the Tom Lehrer song Silent E… (it can change a FLOOD, into FLOYD, instantly…)
Rule110 wrote:"You live by a deep salt lake
And the berm's about to break
How do you run away so you won't die?
Immediately, immediately, immediate-L-Y!"
…and then this is an OTTification of the Tom Lehrer song L-Y. It's a bait and switch!

I think maybe the thing on the sea is LaPetite on an ark made of the things they left on the beach and the things she was dragging to the beach. She's one of the hill people, but as a child, she saw through the adults' prejudices and thought it wouldn't be right not to help the Cueganites. Or she was the first Cueganite to discover the hill people had gone, and the stuff she was dragging onto the beach came from the hills. But I'd prefer it to be the former.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Not anymore. Image

Oh my GLR... :shock:

I wonder if that kid's cousin is LaPetite...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Prediction: La Petite is the missing cousin who can swim in fresh water.

ETA: Ninja'd, also typo.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

mcshn wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:Is it just me, or does it feel like we are getting close to the climax?

I think (and fear) you may be right. The pace of the OTC is now so fast (compared to what we were used to), it pretty much has to be.

It could be a dramatic moment, where this eventually leads into a bigger danger.

But yeah, you guys were so right about the Mediterranean.
HOW do you pick up on all those subtle subtle subtle clues?
I bet GLR lurk reads some of this.

Should be back fairly soon.

I hope its just some waves....
Last edited by jazz14456 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:<snip> 6 Cueganites, I don't think LaPetite is one of them. But who know how many are behind them? (Hopefully, 30+.)

Seems like kind of a pointless time to travel in single file to hide their numbers, but I guess old habits die hard.

Living at the bottom of a dried seabed, it's hard not to be Sand People.

This is my favourite joke of this morning's ketchup.

Time can pass slow or fast. Now it is passing fast. A lesson from the GLR.

Doesn't mean it will necessarily end soon. You don't necessarily have to roll over and go to sleep after a climax.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

It really feels like that to me. There's time pressure (rising sea around them), constant panicked dialogue, and it keeps seeming hopeless. Sure seems like the climax of the story to me!

NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:

Megan just said "don't split the party!!"
They're DOOOOOOOOOOMED

Side note, she should be exhausted -- rest while you send some of the others to get the people in camp quickly!

While them being able to rest would be nice, the water is rising too quickly for that to be possible. At best, they can hope for a chance to rest if what Cueball is seeing is a raft of some sort. If not, a reasonable prediction might be that they collapse from exhaustion and drown during their exodus (if they don't just drown anyway).

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

It's totes obvo that Cueball has spotted an incoming ocean liner and nobody is paying attention to him. Like, Oh me yarm.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:It's totes obvo that Cueball has spotted an incoming ocean liner and nobody is paying attention to him. Like, Gee Willikers.

I cringe at your use of slang, but agree with you.
Sometimes Cueball says useful things... Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:It's totes obvo that Cueball has spotted an incoming ocean liner and nobody is paying attention to him. Like, Gee Willikers.

KNOW IT'S GUDZILA JEESH!!1111

evry1 nowes gudzila cums frum dah oshin.
GET IT RIGHT

XD

Ocean liners are those huge cruise ships, right?

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

I cringe at your use of slang, but agree with you.
Sometimes Cueball says useful things... Image

I was cringing whilst typing it too! ;)

Plot wise the OTC seems to be approaching a climax, and I would be for the first time I would be inclined to think that we have a maximum of about a week's worth of newpix left.

However, the Beanish throw a spanner into those works. I can't imagine the OTC would end without us learning more about them, and getting enough of the language for at least a rudimentary translation. A week is not enough. I'm intrigued as to where things will go from here.

jazz14456 wrote:Ocean liners are those huge cruise ships, right?

Yep. I may have been overstating it. ;) But I do think he has spotted some sort of boat, or raft at the very least.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

azule
Saved

Re: Blind-Post NP1026 (From NP1098)

Postby azule » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
mscha wrote:I've added a simple viewer to my site, which allows you to view the frames one at a time.
<snip>
http:// xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/ 2013-12-31T23:59:59

Pretty sweet stuff, mscha. One problem.... That quoted URL up there....it spoiled me. :cry: I thought you were gonna pick a date close to the current frame....I didn't really read the date myself...and randaldamnit. :cry:
I'm gonna try to forget what I saw...(as tantalizing as it was)...and maybe now I'll try to ketchup a bit faster...(damn this slow reading handicap of mine). :cry:
My apologies, I hadn't thought of that. Image
Fixed.

Thanks! I have caught up to that very frame now. I saw the Beanies soon after I was spoiled, so it hasn't been too frumptious of a journey. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Okay, I just listened to Guster's "Hercules" (this track off Easy Wonderful), and I'm suddenly seriously creeped out. The lyrics could almost have been written for the last few days of Time:

Looks like these afternoons of reverie are through
    What's left for me to say; what's left for me to do?
    Float along and feel the water on my back
    Try not to sink down to the bottom
    Spoiler:
    Hollow my head, it echoes like a wooden drum
    Peel back my skin and make my ribs a xylophone
    Feel the water rise and fall between my bones
    And then just sink down to the bottom

It's a simple love affair
    Dangerous and true
    Her arms are all around
    Reachin' out for you

She's a siren in the night
    With streaks of red and blue
    And though you've disappeared you know
    She will get you through
    She'll come to the rescue...
On top of the lyrics, the video remarkably echoes Megan and Cueball's world of sand and salvage.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:

KNOW IT'S GUDZILA JEESH!!1111

evry1 nowes gudzila cums frum dah oshin.
GET IT RIGHT

XD

Ocean liners are those huge cruise ships, right?

Maybe it's the Titanic, somehow either raised from the seafloor and extensively repaired or just an exact replica (which would probably be less expensive, given that the TItanic's been at the bottom of the ocean for 101 years now and is torn in two, extensively rotted, and very much sunk into the ocean floor).

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:
Jokern wrote:
hunjoh wrote:
Spoiler:
content removed because i cannot post links. :(

I don't know. From watching the video it seems to me that you would need to enlarge the opening by at least a couple orders of magnitude to make the water in the basin slosh around.

In this video the scale is too large for the 100m waves to be visible.

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is hard wrapping one's head around how big this event truly is.

So I just sent Steve Ward and email asking his opinion. :D

Hopefully he answers before Cuegan and the 40 are drowned by a tsunami... :shock:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:Yep. I may have been overstating it. ;) But I do think he has spotted some sort of boat, or raft at the very least.

It looks like Cueball's gonna have to pull a Noisy Shut-Up....

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoisyShutUp

(sorry)

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

"He..." is now "She..."

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Oh boy... Should I stay the whole night awake to not miss it? I was just thinking of coma, it's 1:24 AM here...

ETA: Wow, so many new comments...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eliram

Re: BlitzGirl the First Returneth

Postby Eliram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
I'm back!
Hello again, everybody! ImageNice to see most of y'all are still here, though perhaps scattered through Time a bit.
(snip a lot)

As for me, I'm just going to ride the crazywave for as long as I can, perhaps until the end of Time...or even beyond that.
After all, the future's pretty cool! Race you there!

Found this during ketchup. It is beautiful. A work of art. Thank you and welcome back.
It's about time.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
mcshn wrote:

Who's this mcshn you're quoting? Image

jzax22165 wrote:But yeah, you guys were so right about the Mediterranean.
HOW do you pick up on all those subtle subtle subtle clues?

Hmm, subtle clues...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”