1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ebonite

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:I strongly urge you to check Prisencolinensinainciusol out - It's how an pop song in English sounds if you don't understand English, and is superb - I sometimes play it for people, and it's amazing how people try to pull comprehension out of it. It's one of the strangest thing's I've ever heard. The dancing is cool, too.

THANK YOU!!! I... just... words no have... Instantly bookmarked!
Again... THANK YOU!!!!

No kidding. . .thanks!

That's actually how a lot of songs I hear on the radio sound to me anyway. . .some of these singers can't enunciate. :-)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Here's an animation of the 7 rafting frames where we had them in full view.

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
SBN wrote:Raymond E. Feist has some good ones. I'm not sure where the best place to start is. But then I'm also not sure it is possible to finish the Pern series. McCaffrey's got some other works that are very good too. I liked the Petaybee series, maybe more than Pern.

The only Krondor book I haven't read is Magician's End and that's just because it wasn't released yet the last time I ordered a supply of books. Extremely awefullsomely good suggestion by the way. I enjoyed them immensely.
It is possible to finish the Pern series, there are "only" 22 books according to Wikipedia and I have read 12 of them since somewhere this spring (there are some advantages to 1 hour of train rides each workday). This means there are only approximately 10 weeks of books left on the Dragonriders of Pern. I will have to check her other works, I enjoyed the non-Pern stories in that book, I believe it was The Girl Who Heard Dragons, and I would not mind spending a few extra hours in those worlds.

I enjoyed the "ship who sang" series and the "tower and the Hive" series By Anne Mccafrey as well.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

rvloon

Re: HMS Ketchup

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Arky wrote:Series: Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy. Book 1 comes across as an interesting "first contact" scenario between a "United Federation of Planets" type of humanity and a hostile alien race. Book 2 brilliantly switches POV to the aliens, one of the best bits of alien world-and-society building exercises I've ever read. Book 3? You'll just have to get there....

As an individual book, since it's within my sightline from here, I liked it very much and it has that sci-fi fantasy crossover feel that Pern does (although with more humour) I recommend The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.

Big agreement on the Conquerors trilogy, I was going to suggest it on my own. Shockingly unwellknown for how good I think it is. I'm not sure if I read back far enough to catch everyone's recommendations, but I will add "Startide Rising" by David Brin (there isn't much by him that I wouldn't recommend), and if you're a fan of fantasy, you should definitely check out "In the Name of the Wind" and "A Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. The series isn't complete yet, but it's the best ongoing work of fantasy hands down, in my opinion. Oh, and one more, "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis.

Interesting suggestions. Anyway, I am missing Julian May (Pliocene Exile Saga, also others) and Lois McMaster-Bujold here.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:
Pfhorrest wrote:
ahecht wrote:
philip1201 wrote:It is a simple physical fact that every conceivable combination of occupations of quantum fields in 4D spacetime has a finite non-zero probability within the laws of physics, and that includes groups of bosons forming neural nets which encode the belief that library books are supposed to be empty.

That is one possible universe in the multiverse, but what about the universe where the people are exactly like us, but the books are empty.

As you eliminated causal (i.e. statistically likely) explanations for how the books ended up empty, you approach the eventual limit of "the books got empty by, against unfathomable odds, all the molecules of the ink in all of the books spontaneously undergoing the right series of quantum fluctuations to dissolve/decay/whatever causes that kind of ink to fade, thus blanking the books". Or, maybe the real limit is more like "quantum fields in empty space spontaneously converged, against even more unfathomable odds, to create a planet on which is a library full of blank books and people with false memories who have no idea why there is a library of blank books".

The problem to be solved is exactly the same as this one: You discover that there is a library full of blank books somewhere. How did that get there like that? There are many possible explanations, each with a different likelihood of being true. There are more universes where the more likely explanations occurred (e.g. someone rich guy thought it would be a funny prank present for his bookworm little brother, maybe?) than where the less likely explanations occurred (e.g. all the ink spontaneously decayed due to the exact right series of quantum fluctuations in its constituent molecules, atoms, etc).

Focusing too much on one specific example is missing the point. The point the character, and I, was trying to make is that there are theoretical universes that are simply not consistent with the intelligent beings that occupy them. There isn't a universe anywhere with a person just like me having a bookshelf full of empty books, because I wouldn't have a bookshelf like that. Does such a universe exist because random quantum fluctuations make the books all go blank? And many more universes where only one of the books has blank pages? And many, many more universes where just one page gets blanked? And a huge majority of universes where nothing odd happens? It seems much more likely to me that there are deep, mysterious things that we don't yet understand about the relationship between conscious, intelligent beings and the physical and quantum mechanical universe, that would preclude "ridiculous" universes like that ever coming into existence.

Why do you believe ridiculous universes don't/can't exist? What kind of evidence do you have which causes you to dismiss something which is only supposed to happen once every googolplexian^googolplexian years at most, especially when there are an actually statistically significant amount of inconsistencies between human beliefs and the environment caused by imperfect brain architectureex? Why do you eschew reductionism and posit an exception in the laws of physics for specific low-entropic slabs of meat (i.e. human brains/minds) when there can be no evidence for that exception because insanity is at least 10^100^100 times more likely than a manifestation of a coherent, persistent macroscopic quantum phenomenon according to generally accepted science? Or are you so far gone that you actually believe your explanation to be Occam-simpler?

Human sapience doesn't work through mysterious magic, it's a neural net computer which receives input through the senses and has physical electro-chemical discharges travel through the structure which are what thoughts are made of. There is interaction between the human mind and the physical world, not through deep ineffable relationships, but though nerves and senses and hormones. Humans are "inconsistent" with libraries of empty books not because intelligence and empty books are at some deep level incompatible, but because humans build libraries to put texts in them using a purely physical decision-making process. If physics provides other mechanisms for humans and libraries to co-exist, they will co-exist in some alternate universe through those mechanisms.

ex e.g. "I swear I put my keys on the desk" - human error, or quantum fluctuations moving the keys around?

I have no evidence whatsoever. And I never stated that I don't believe they exist. What I stated was that I believe there are deep, unanswered questions about the human mind and it's relationship to the quantum mechanical world. There isn't any evidence that alternative universes exist at all!!! Your statement that I'm positing an exception to the laws physics implies that I was positing a fact in the first place, but even more problematic, implies that multiple universes ARE one of the laws of physics, and that the laws physics imply that multiple universes not only exist, but that ALL of them exist, and neither of these facts are well enough established to even quality as a theory of physics yet, much less a law. They fall more within the realm of speculation at the moment, and we certainly don't have much in the way of evidence either way. Furthermore, it is a long way from being either obvious, or proven that our minds are simply computers, operating according to quantum mechanical principles, whose behaviors could be predicted given a sufficient knowledge of their state. In fact, the original purpose of my post was to suggest that minds are more than just that, and to point out that there is much that we don't yet understand about how consciousness, free will and so on fit into the "laws" of the physical universe. Some of these issues are addressed in a much more interesting, and detailed way in the book that I suggested twice.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:The raft goes sideways!
An ingenious solution:
Let's call this the front.

FTFY.

Hi to StratPlayer!

Where do y'all find time to read books? I can barely keep up with the OTT...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:And on another note, way back here, just after the fade, I predicted that the story would end at between 3,500 and 4,000 frames. That's looking a little high, but well within a reasonable margin of error on my estimate. (Does little happy dance.)

Yeah, that prediction is looking pretty good at this point (give or take; we'll have to Wait for It of course, even if no longer specifically instructed). Well done!

As people have said, we don't know for sure that this is building up to the ending yet. We might be in the process of dropping a torpedo into the ventilation shaft (== ending imminent), we might only be dropping the ring into Mount Doom (== ending to come, but a fair amount of cool-down time first), or we might only be crossing the river into Rivendell (== just getting warmed up).

While there is plenty of story that could still be told, this feels too much like a grand climax to me; I think we're in the first scenario, or (my personal hope, but not expectation) the second. Consider that when the party arrives at Rivendell, the most urgent problem (ringwraiths descending on Frodo) is solved, but the biggest problem (Sauron is ascending, and seeking the ring) is not. Here in Time, the biggest problem -- petatons of water on the move -- is in the process of being resolved, one way or another. The aftermath will have many problems of its own, but not of the same flavor. The story would have to downshift into a very different mode. Could happen, of course, but I expect GLR is ready to take a break from all this.

(Hmm... Lucifer's Hammer has a somewhat analogous situation, and there the resolution of the initial deluge is just a warmup to the main story. But in that story, the initial event was transformative of the entire world, not just the flooded areas.)

My long-term hope, I think, is that while the current incarnation of Time may end soon, it will not be the last incarnation. GLR might start "book two" someday, possibly with changes to the structure and medium. Other artists might begin to explore the possibilities. Or, hard though it is to imagine, we might just be able to look forward to something that will be as much grander than Time as Time was to Click & Drag (itself quite awefulsome).

Oh, chiming in late on the books thing: anything by Lois McMaster Bujold. The Miles Vorkosigan stories are awesome sci-fi; start with The Warrior's Apprentice. Her fantasy series are amazing as well. Most similar to the Pern books might be the Sharing Knife series (start with Beguilement), though my favorites are the series that begins with The Curse of Chalion. (And add my vote to the Diskworld series; it is simply essential. The first few books in the series are a bit rough so you might want to start somewhere around Guards! Guards! if you're not a completist, or at least book 3 Equal Rites.)

ETA:
b2bomberkrh wrote:...Oh, and one more, "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis.

Yes! That book is so awesome. Set in the same world, *much* darker but very powerful, is the Doomsday Book. And now I'll shut up about books, don't want to hijack the thread too much.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Our rope strONG enough?
We may find soon if that's what
Cueball dreamed about.

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

ThrowONG the rope:

Spoiler:

Edit: haiku-ninja'd!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Prediction: first throw will not be far enough.

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

ThrowONG
Spoiler:

Ninja'd on my first try at ONGing
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:I strongly urge you to check Prisencolinensinainciusol out - It's how an pop song in English sounds if you don't understand English, and is superb - I sometimes play it for people, and it's amazing how people try to pull comprehension out of it. It's one of the strangest thing's I've ever heard. The dancing is cool, too.

THANK YOU!!! I... just... words no have... Instantly bookmarked!
Again... THANK YOU!!!!

OMR i haven't seen this video in ages. Had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for posting crypto!

In response to 2 newpix ago...
Spoiler:
I don't understand why the 20 on the left are stating that Cuegan-20 will float past them. Are they going backwards in my mind? I thought it was moving left > right. Therefore the 20 on the left would be the ones floating past. No one else seemed confused by this, though. :?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I don't understand why the 20 on the left are stating that Cuegan-20 will float past them. Are they going backwards in my mind? I thought it was moving left > right. Therefore the 20 on the left would be the ones floating past. No one else seemed confused by this, though. :?

Took me as while to get this too, but they're moving sideways (from their point of view; backwards from ours) after bumping into the river bank.
That's what frame 3055 was all about.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

I have molpied up!
Oh look, they've found the others!
Now time to ketchup.
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh, I'm Cueball! Yay! Image

Congrats! And yay, I'm Megan! (Where is that damn Megan emoticon when I need it..)

Image <(Hi! It's ok, I won't eat you!)
And while we're at it, might as well get all the smileys together...
Spoiler:
(I love you, Meg!)>Image<(I love you, Cue!)
Image <(HI!)
Image <(Whoa, can't we get some privacy here?)
Image <(I have a neat hat.)
Image <(Wow! Neat.)
Image <(Yeah.)
Image <(ImageImageImageImageImage . ImageImageImageImageImageImage) (Translation: "Not as neat as mine!")
Image<(SilHUSHence now, pairBOTH of you, you both have goodFABULOUS headHATSclothes.)
Image <(MY hat has a FLAG on it!)
Image <(Who the chirp are you?)
Image <(Shut up BlitzGirl, you're not even IN the comic!)
Image <( :( )

BlitzGirl wrote:That would be treeish3 - we love graphs! I really miss the regular newdata updates Kieryn used to give us.

3neat

Yeah, I wonder where Kieryn is... his location now matches mine (England, Oop North), but I haven't seen him yet. Maybe he's hiding somewhere and watching me right now... :shock:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.
That's rather... apt.

Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...No! NO! Bad BlitzGirl! Remember the Bag Incident of Newpage 467?!

Never forget!

:evil: You water be ashamed of yourself.
azule wrote:Here's an idea for yappo's soundtrack. For LaPetite's Theme, I think it would be cool, as it's mostly during the fading, to have whatever sound you have slowly, not fade, but lose bass and get all trebly. Static noises would rise in volume. The basic idea here is a transition to an old phonograph recording. Maybe with an end note fade leaving nothing but a quiet static (that really does fade out).

That's a neat idea. I've used that effect before in things. Of course that certainly wouldn't be the only instance of LaPetite's theme NOW :P.
TheMinim wrote:Wow, you guys, you're almost on page 1234! Which is a brillulous number! I'm so excited I'm messing up positive adjectives!

Happy 400 and welcome back! Hmm, funny that our very own LaPetite returns just as LaPetite returns in the comic... Which you'll find out sometime in the future of course... just keep blitzing, just keep blitzing...
HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:That is one neat raft!

Soundtrack thoughts - this whole raft rescue sequence seems to be the major uplifting triumphant moment in the story, so needs appropriate music. Here's an older piece of mine that's along the lines I'm thinking.

More shameless self promotion I see :P (fitting piece though)

Neil_Boekend wrote:OO, Pope.
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Not a recommendation, but this talk of books reminded me of something pretty neat that may well have been mentioned before but I dunno - Christopher Paolini, author of the Inheritence Cycle, seems to be a follower of the OTC and is at least partly aware of us lot. Neat! Perhaps he's lurking here. Everybody wave at him.
StratPlayer wrote:Been a long time since I last posted... May be another long time before I post again...

Hey Strat, nice to hear from you!
Angelastic wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm definitely part of the club of people who wants to marry yappo. :P There was an acronym for it, but I can't remember and search is failing.
MYQM

OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I don't understand why the 20 on the left are stating that Cuegan-20 will float past them. Are they going backwards in my mind? I thought it was moving left > right. Therefore the 20 on the left would be the ones floating past. No one else seemed confused by this, though. :?

FWIW, I was confused too. :roll:

Looking at the last two pictures, it appears that the debris (and Cuegan's raft) is floating left, so we seem to have flipped camera angles. (The tall part of the raft is still on our right, but I guess that's the whole "let's call this the front now" thing.) The new raft is moving to the right, which could be the Other 20 laboring to push themselves out into the main current.

ETA: ninja detector fail but I'll take the opportunity to ask a followup question:

mscha wrote:Took me as while to get this too, but they're moving sideways (from their point of view; backwards from ours) after bumping into the river bank.

Are they moving sideways? From our perspective, they seem to be moving right-to-left, which is also what I see the flotsam doing. So maybe the camera just did a 180?

ETA2: though the Cuegan raft is moving a lot faster than the flotsam. :?:
Last edited by nerdsniped on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

JGeezer wrote:ThrowONG
Spoiler:

Ninja'd on my first try at ONGing

Same happened to me last night. We just have to
Spoiler:
keep trying.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

...what the first part of returning looks like

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Blindpost from 1233/1234.
Thanks for the lovely return cake, ChronosDragon | CasCat!

Spoiler:

Doesn't the guy on the left look like Forrest?

mscha, happy 2200th!
Spoiler:

And TheMinim, 400!
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
Scott Auld wrote:I feel bad now for calling them stupid, for not knowing anything about the sea or rivers, back in late May or early June. I didn't know they were prehistoric folks. :oops:

They're not prehistoric, exactly - it's, as near as we can tell, a post-apocalyptic future where humanity in general has reverted to a lower level of technology, and their specific group also has no contact with anyone from outside their region.

And also, we knew less about the sea than they did.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

In my view, popes have gotten all too polite lately. :twisted:
Anyway:

Huge list. Spoilered.

Since we're all Trekkies or Trekkers anyway, Scalzi's Red Shirts. Fantastic parody/side-track or whatever you want to call it.

ETA most anything by Vernor Vinge.

And, 'cause I'm feeling particularly grouchy (late for lunch),

Haiku is haiku
is haiku is haiku is
haiku is haiku

:mrgreen: :twisted:
Last edited by cellocgw on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:In response to 2 newpix ago...
Spoiler:
I don't understand why the 20 on the left are stating that Cuegan-20 will float past them. Are they going backwards in my mind? I thought it was moving left > right. Therefore the 20 on the left would be the ones floating past. No one else seemed confused by this, though. :?

I was also confused. It seems to suggest that they are all moving neither left nor right, but actually moving away from us. But Cuegan's team may be moving more swiftly than the other 20, further out distancing them (I hypothesized that they were in swifter moving water that is channeling along the old riverbed).
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm definitely part of the club of people who wants to marry yappo. :P There was an acronym for it, but I can't remember and search is failing.
MYQM

Ah, yes.. that's the one. 8-)

For the record, we all know I just think yappo is brilliantly awesome for his creative talents and quick wit and that I'm not at all being seriously creepy. I like a lot of other people in this thread for the exact same reasons. ;)

nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:

Took me as while to get this too, but they're moving sideways (from their point of view; backwards from ours) after bumping into the river bank.

Are they moving sideways? From our perspective, they seem to be moving right-to-left, which is also what I see the flotsam doing. So maybe the camera just did a 180?

Thanks guys. I figured there was some weirdness going on with what Cue said in regards to 'this can be the front now.' It just wasn't clicking. My brain does not easily render directional stuff in a 2D landscape. :oops: :cry:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Well this all escalated quickly, I leave for a week long coma and they go from hiking to river rafting.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Anyway:

Huge list. Spoilered.

Since we're all Trekkies or Trekkers anyway, Scalzi's Red Shirts. Fantastic parody/side-track or whatever you want to call it.

Oh, yes… Wil Wheaton does a good job of reading the audiobook (and a few of Scalzi's other audiobooks) too. Also, the book has a theme song by Jonathan Coulton (fitting, really, since his previous book had a theme song by Paul and Storm) which Scalzi sang at least once.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Our rope isn't long enough. Hold this or you'll fail....
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

sford

Postby sford » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Molpy UP
Spoiler:
Most angora rabbits are calm and docile, but should be handled carefully. Aren't you glad you know?

Uh wait ... make that molpy down.

Spoiler:
The English Angora rabbit is the only rabbit that has hair covering its eyes.

No, no, I was right the first time ... I think ... oh hell.

Business trip is making it too hard to keep up with OTT, so I'll just wish Cueball all the luck of Montie Montana. YEE HAW!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Someone previously suggested that this might be an epic, in which case this might not be the climax, but the first major challenge for the protagonists. While I hope that is the case, I really can't think of where you can go to up the ante after "homes being destroyed by the flooding of the Mediterranean basin". That would be a little hard to top, and any other drama would be pretty chilled after this.

NetWeasel wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Our rope isn't long enough. Hold this or you'll fail....

You're totally the first person to say that. :twisted:
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

A dream will come true:
our rope isn't long enough;
hold this or you'll fall.

A meme will haiku;
our thread isn't long enough;
post this or you'll fail.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Anyway:

Huge list. Spoilered.
<snip>
The Tom Rynosseros series by Terry Dowling is absolutely first rate. Best read in order. They are hard to find, published in Australia. Lots of interleaving threads including AI, desert travel, alternate history... Marvelous.

<snip>

Curious, in searching for this series on Amazon, I came across a book called "Wild Thyme, Green Magic", a collection of shorter works by Jack Vance. According to the descriptions, one of the stories is called "Chateau D'if"!!!! Has anyone read this?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

AlmONGst there:

But it looks like it's fallONG short.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Anyway:

Huge list. Spoilered.

ETA most anything by Vernor Vinge.

And, 'cause I'm feeling particularly grouchy (late for lunch),

Haiku is haiku
is haiku is haiku is
haiku is haiku

:mrgreen: :twisted:

"A Fire upon the Deep" by Vinge is very good. Also, a haiku is NOT a haiku, just because it has the correct number of syllables. There's a little bit more to it than that, but a lot of the "haiku" that's been posted here doesn't really follow any of the principles of the haiku poetic form. In particular, we seem to be woefully lacking in the comparison/contrast of two ideas/thoughts/situations which is normally an essential part of the haiku. But, it's fun to just mimic the structure, even without the rest of what makes a haiku.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:AlmONGst there:
Spoiler:

If it snags on that tree, and the Other Twenty throw THEIR rope, and snag the same tree...
Both sides can pull at once.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Book suggestions:

Garth Nix - Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen - Easy but engaging
Terry Pratchet - Discworld - Hilarious and usually quick
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere - Just awesome
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

richP

Postby richP » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Needs more Deadliest Catch guys on board: "@&%# Jake, throw the ^#*&ing hook already!"

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:Someone previously suggested that this might be an epic, in which case this might not be the climax, but the first major challenge for the protagonists. While I hope that is the case, I really can't think of where you can go to up the ante after "homes being destroyed by the flooding of the Mediterranean basin". That would be a little hard to top, and any other drama would be pretty chilled after this.

I still think they could eventually journey to the Straits of Gibraltar to confirm what caused the sudden leak.

Spoiler:

I do not think that is going to make it. Perhaps they hope only anchor to that tree (perhaps it is still secure at the roots).
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Possibly Megan was smart enough to put something floaty on the end of that rope so the Others can pick it up as they float by.

Or not, since Cueball threw it.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I do not think that is going to make it. Perhaps they hope only anchor to that tree (perhaps it is still secure at the roots).

It would be a lot closer if they threw it from the front (rear?), rather than Cue throwing it from way back on the roof.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:I do not think that is going to make it. Perhaps they hope only anchor to that tree (perhaps it is still secure at the roots).
It would be a lot closer if they threw it from the front (rear?), rather than Cue throwing it from way back on the roof.
It would be a lot closer if they used more rope.
And a trebuchet...

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Spoiler:

FWIW, I was confused too. :roll:

Looking at the last two pictures, it appears that the debris (and Cuegan's raft) is floating left, so we seem to have flipped camera angles. (The tall part of the raft is still on our right, but I guess that's the whole "let's call this the front now" thing.) The new raft is moving to the right, which could be the Other 20 laboring to push themselves out into the main current.

ETA: ninja detector fail but I'll take the opportunity to ask a followup question:

mscha wrote:Took me as while to get this too, but they're moving sideways (from their point of view; backwards from ours) after bumping into the river bank.

What I think is happening, is:

• Our point of view with respect to the raft has not changed.
  • Initially, the raft was moving ‘upstream’, bow first. (So, for us, moving to the right.)
  • After a while, the bow bumped into the left river bank (our right). The raft kept moving ‘upstream’, port side first. (So, for us, moving backwards.) Cueball renamed the port side to “front of the boat”. Our camera point of view is fixed to the boat, so we used to look towards the right river bank, now we're looking upstream.
  • They noticed the boat with the “other 20”, who are close to the right bank (our left), but not quite in the main current, so also floating upstream (away from us), but slower than the raft.
  • Both the boat and the raft are trying to move closer to each other, towards the center of the river, while still floating upstream (away from us).

ETA: thanks for the cake AluisioASG! I stopped counting, so didn't notice... And welcome back, I think you have an evil twin that posted here in your absence...
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

I tend to agree, mscha - the slope on the left side of the frame is the other riverbank, parallel to the bank that the Twenty just bumped into with the raftcastle. The flow of water is either headed away from the viewer, as you suggest, or towards us (I'm still not sure).

And hey, molpy up! Looks like the rest of the Forty in the hills were able to find at least some Hill People materials to build a raft from. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And hey, molpy up! Looks like the rest of the Forty in the hills were able to find at least some Hill People materials to build a raft from. :)

I'm guessing they actually found a boat (that the Hill People used on the river).

ETA: you're right, they could be floating toward us, I never even considered that. Can't tell for sure, in a perspective-less comic...
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”