1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Random832

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Random832's sig wrote:Ask me about my OTT Statistics Project!

What's your OTT Statistics Project? :)

(Are you talking about your word clouds3, or something else?)

3treeish

The word clouds are just a preview because they're easy to generate. I plan to do a number of things, including doing a graph (in 50 page groups) of the most common words (and of any 'memetic' words like newpix, ott, otc, cuegan, etc, if they never break the top 20 otherwise) and most prolific posters.

Ooh, pope. No idea on a decree. Make up your own decrees.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Isn't it really wierd that nobody in this small group, which presumably has been living closely together for some time, has addressed anybody else by name? I had thought that they were a group of maybe two extended families which makes it stranger yet. So far, the only appellation we have is "cousin".

Yeah. This has been rather a theme, the dialogue consistently jumps through whatever hoops are needed to avoid giving anyone a name (except possibly in Beanish).

Another example I've been meaning to mention: in frame 3020, why does that boy say "my cousin says she can swim across a river" instead of "LaPetite can..."? This is a community of 40 people, surely everyone knows everyone else. Or at the very least, surely everyone knows LaPetite!
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past..... Schizoblitz: 105/2599 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Very neat, Random. :)

Okay, gif Time:

Some observations: There is no panning. Note that the solid ground slope on the left side of the frame does not move at all. Between m3058 and 3059, the debrismolpy moves leftward. This indicates that it is not a solid object like the ground on the left, or a rock. (It also does not match the shape of Cueball's rock.) Water splashes around the debrismolpy in 3058, the jagged spar near the other Twenty in 3059, on the raftcastle in 3060, and near the shore in 3058 and 3063. When the tree moves over the debrismolpy in 3063, it looks like it is beheaded. So, maybe not a living creature, maybe just random flotsam adrift on the sea-river. Also, the sea-river is rising - watch its level on the shoreline...

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: BGUM gif debris debrismolpy molpy rock rockmolpy Cueball the forty float sea-river river splash
DebrisMolpy.gif

redundant55.png
redundant55.png (205.79 KiB) Viewed 8135 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

edfel, I haven't even said how great the original is and already it's even better! 7!Γ

ΓJust an exclamation mark, not a factorial of the footnote marker.
5040See Γ; that was referring to footnote 7 of the default footnotes, standard OTT-np2166m 1.1ν, not footnote 5040.
νni ni ni chupia barba ping pong ball.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Ace wrote:My memory is a little fuzzy, it's been a while since I read the guide. The tree-dwellers may have been a different race, the ones with the theory about the Great Sneeze? Or that may be the 50-armed folk as well.
Yes it was the Oglaroonian treedwellers who were small, blue and fifty-armed. But it was the Great Green Arkleseizure (sneeze), and there was nothing about fire at that bit. The only ones that left the tree being those thrown out of it for the heinous crime of wondering whether the other trees were anything other than an illusion brought on by eating too many Oglanuts.

And so on and so on.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Ok chiming in on the book suggestions:

I've captured the recent book lists in a spreadsheet, which I'd like to put on the Wiki, but I don't know how to add a page. If someone could create an OTTer's Book Recommendations page, and a table (or a place to put one in) I'll add what I've captured. I'm sure I have misses and mistakes even from today's discussion, plus there is a whole raft of stuff previously mentioned, so once it is in I'd appreciate some cross-checking and additions.

Then we all just need to go pick something and read it, which will help the blitzers.
Thanks.

I've created a page with a blank table. http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Book_Recommendations
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

42 guests wrote:Then the rocks on the far shore should move with the camera pan.
Your'e right. Looking closer, it looks more like they pulled the tree to them. The tree is now on top of the molpyrock, and there's a nice pathway to the boat for it if it wants to get on board. But it didn't seem to move prior, so it may be a nonmolpy.

eta: also notice the large logs bobbing about on the left.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Another gif, close-up on the debrismolpy:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: debrismolpy molpy rock rockmolpy drift sea-river sea splash BGUM gif close zoom the Twenty the Forty
DebrisMolpyCloseup.gif

redundant56.png
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Another example I've been meaning to mention: in frame 3020, why does that boy say "my cousin says she can swim across a river" instead of "LaPetite can..."? This is a community of 40 people, surely everyone knows everyone else.

Hmm, in keeping with past suggestions (e.g. Lucky), maybe her name is just "my cousin". (With this interpretation, can we extract names for Megan or Cueball? Maybe one of them is named "Hey".)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Whenever I go on the wiki homepage and see the header "Some Ways to Time", I always can't help singing it to the tune of "Dumb Ways to Die". :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Another example I've been meaning to mention: in frame 3020, why does that boy say "my cousin says she can swim across a river" instead of "LaPetite can..."? This is a community of 40 people, surely everyone knows everyone else.

Hmm, in keeping with past suggestions (e.g. Lucky), maybe her name is just "my cousin". (With this interpretation, can we extract names for Megan or Cueball? Maybe one of them is named "Hey".)

"Oh" is also a good candidate.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

Hey, remember when I ottified Rocks and Trees by The Arrogant Worms as 'Neat' and 'Yeah'? Well, we have Cueball's rock to think about now, and we sure have a lot of water, so now I think it can be reverted almost to the original lyrics. So here we go:

Rocks and Trees
an ottody of Rocks and Trees by The Arrogant Worms
Spoiler:
Our comic’s bigger than most
And if asked I boast
’cause I’m really proud
So I shout it loud
RUN with Megan and Cue
They will RUN with you

We don't know all the history,
Climax or mid-story?
Heroes or casualties?
Fllotsam or catmolpies?
Still what we know's good enough:

’cause we’ve got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water!

All aboard, everyone!

We’ve got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
kasmeneo wrote:
edfel wrote:A little side-project I've just started working on:
The OTC Narrative Chart

Amazing, edfel!

General question: what is this thing about breaking the rope? Are their ropes of different material? Or just very brittle due to the salty environment?

I'd imagine that the rope-makine materials available to them are pretty sparse. You can make a rope out of boabab bark, but it doesn't look like the Cueganites had ever seen a boabab before. So, they'd be stuck making it with something else. From their trip up the river, it looks like vegetation is pretty scarce around them. Maybe they got the rope from the hill people, but in either case, it's probably not nearly as strong as hemp or nylon.

It was Cueball's dream. I am terrible at finding the proper frame (perhaps someone can help?) but he dreamed that Megan was holding on to a rope that was in danger of breaking. Many of us saw it as foreshadowing, but it has yet come to pass.

ETA: ninja'd by NetWeasel

Oh, I see. I overthought it. I assumed kasmeneo knew about the dream and was asking more about the origin/condition of the rope they used. Asking about if there was some bit of evidence that implied the rope making material used by Cueganites. Or perhaps xe was thinking that they got the rope from Ikea, like everything else and so wondering what the drama was all about, as everyone knows that Ikea products are sturdy and reliable.

Yes, I knew about the dream, and as the reference to ropes being not strong enough, or liable to breaking, was a recurring theme, I began to wonder just that - is it their lack of proper rope-making materials? Or being forced to use their ropes for a long time? Both? Or some other idea?

ucim wrote:
42 guests wrote:Then the rocks on the far shore should move with the camera pan.
Your'e right. Looking closer, it looks more like they pulled the tree to them. The tree is now on top of the molpyrock, and there's a nice pathway to the boat for it if it wants to get on board. But it didn't seem to move prior, so it may be a nonmolpy.

eta: also notice the large logs bobbing about on the left.

Jose

Molpyrock? Logmolpy?
It's cooler up here.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote:Molpyrock? Logmolpy?

Loch Ness Molpy?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

edfel wrote:So... Update! here we go:
Spoiler:

⁷some, edfel! Image
There's only one thing I'd like to see differently, and that's the distance between the beach and the home of the Cueganites. I realize it's not supposed to be to scale, but all those ups and downs during the castle building are a bit distracting; I bet it'd look better if you halfed (or thirded) that distance.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
buffygirl wrote:ARGH!!! "LOST" SPOILER!
Yes, I one of the five people in the world who has only just started watching Lost (via Netflix)...<snippety>

I'm one as well. Wonder who the other three are?
<snip>

Blindposting....
Well, not only am I one of those other three, but I've also never gotten around to watching Firefly (I'll get to it eventually, I promise!), among many other things. Maybe when the kids grow up and move out...

Also, seen a lot of word clouds lately - I'm still a few NP behind, but I'm surprised no one has (to this point) mentioned the one done early on in the OTT, using frequent posters' names. (Now that I've said this, the next post I read will be someone commenting on this. But if not I'll try to find it when I finish my ketchup...)

Edit: Added missing tag
Last edited by Febrion on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

CatchONG the rope:

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Ace wrote:My memory is a little fuzzy, it's been a while since I read the guide. The tree-dwellers may have been a different race, the ones with the theory about the Great Sneeze? Or that may be the 50-armed folk as well.
Yes it was the Oglaroonian treedwellers who were small, blue and fifty-armed. But it was the Great Green Arkleseizure (sneeze), and there was nothing about fire at that bit. The only ones that left the tree being those thrown out of it for the heinous crime of wondering whether the other trees were anything other than an illusion brought on by eating too many Oglanuts.

And so on and so on.

Right, yes, that jogs my memory. Still, making a note to re-read those as soon as I get a chance, it's clearly been a while. This gap in my knowledge of a fictional universe is unduly distressing, if I don't know Guide canon, what do I know? (Mostly kidding.. mostly. But I do kind of pride myself on my knowledge of various canons.. ask me anything about Pern, Stargate, Doctor Who, I'm there.)

-

With that, I really must molpy down. Hopefully I'll find time to ketchup tomorrow. (This is not the time to talk about time, we don't have the time.)

Spoiler:
Spoilered because I guess it's off-topic, and I don't want the thread to become about my meowlpy, but look at him. He's actually sleeping in this pic. Weird meowlpy. I have many meowlpy down images, but this one is tied with one other for 'best'. If I'm ever active again, while 'molpy down' is still a thing, I might post the other.

Redundant spoiler.
Spoiler:
Here's hoping I'm doing this right..
sleepy_cat.jpg
meowlpy down
sleepy_cat.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 8028 times

..do I even need this if I'm spoilering it anyway? Best not to take chances.
Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

D'aww! That's your black meowlpy? Cute! :D

I vaguely remember the word cloud with usernames that Sciscitor posted...let me just find that...I know I commented on it...
Aha, around Newpage 730:

BlitzGirl wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
Spoiler:

1 well, it needed a bit of mathemagical treating, but I am not telling more, 'cause this could possibly spoil the new project, given the kind of attention directed to minuscule bits of information here.

Stop by anytime! I'm at the corner of SBN and charlie_grumbles!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Rocks and Trees
an ottody of Rocks and Trees by The Arrogant Worms
Spoiler:
Our comic’s bigger than most
And if asked I boast
’cause I’m really proud
So I shout it loud
RUN with Megan and Cue
They will RUN with you

We don't know all the history,
Climax or mid-story?
Heroes or casualties?
Fllotsam or catmolpies?
Still what we know's good enough:

’cause we’ve got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water!

All aboard, everyone!

We’ve got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water!

Rocks! Um, i mean ⁴, Angelastic! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Ace wrote:Redundant spoiler.
Spoiler:
..do I even need this if I'm spoilering it anyway? Best not to take chances.

Yes, you do. It doesn't work without it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Gif update. Almost all of the original Twenty have moved from the raftcastle to the secondary raft in order to help with the rope.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: raft rafts raftcastle Cuegan Cueganites The Forty The Twenty rope drift river-sea river BGUM
TwoRaftsGifUpdate.gif

redundant57.png
redundant57.png (110.96 KiB) Viewed 7989 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Quick note on names before I go though: I can't remember the last time someone used mine (it's so infrequent that it doesn't even sound like it belongs to me any more) or I used a sibling's name without it being all awkward. I still do use names, but I hesitate every time. Also on 'dad'. The only names/titles I use with no hesitation are 'mum' and 'grandma', everyone else is 'hey', if I need to get their attention. (And 'not you', if I meant someone else.) We know who we are, it doesn't need saying.

-

And yeah, BlitzGirl, that's my black meowlpy, that pic was taken when he was around 7 monthsH old. He's about 7 yearsH old now.

HHeretical time measurements.

-

Molpy down for real this time. (See my previous post for image.)
Wait for it.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote: snip

And I'd suggest to stick to Petite (dropping the article).
It refers to both her French looks and her interpreted youth.

I suppose someone else has observed this, but by making LaPetite look French, Randall certainly dropped a big hint as to their whereabouts. 8-)

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

I still think the survival of the beret for 11,000 years is about as bizarre as the enduring Bilby towers.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
Prediction:
Newpic-- MEGAN: Now throw YOUR rope!
Next Newpic Other Twenty: WHAT rope?
Next Next Newpic: MEGAN: Chirpity Chirp-Chirp!
Edit: PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:
When you leave your place of dwelling, do you now automatically look for your path of escape should the waters start rising? Are you more acutely aware of the location of the temporary islands you could be trapped on?

My island DID flood during Superstorm Sandy, and Manhattan was for some time divided into two new neighborhoods: NoPo (North of Power) and SoPo (South of Power). Luckily we don't live in any of the three evacuation zones. Living on the 53rd floor helps, of course, but you sure don't want to lose power in those elevators.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
edfel wrote:So... Update! here we go:
Spoiler:

⁷some, edfel! Image
There's only one thing I'd like to see differently, and that's the distance between the beach and the home of the Cueganites. I realize it's not to scale, but all those ups and downs during the castle building are a bit distracting; I bet it'd look better if you halfed (or thirded) that distance.

Maybe some little squiggles showing the fun they had climbing up and sliding down dunes?

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Davidy wrote:Isn't it really wierd that nobody in this small group, which presumably has been living closely together for some time, has addressed anybody else by name? I had thought that they were a group of maybe two extended families which makes it stranger yet. So far, the only appellation we have is "cousin".

Yeah. This has been rather a theme, the dialogue consistently jumps through whatever hoops are needed to avoid giving anyone a name (except possibly in Beanish).

Not only that: have you noticed that nobody has a face?!

I am serious; I think they are nameless and faceless for the same reason.
Randall Munroe ETA: no, sorry, Scott McCloud wrote:Thus, when you see a photo or a realistic drawing of a face - you see it as the face of another.

But when you enter the world of the cartoon - you see yourself.

http://comicsalliance.com/randall-munro ... joss-whed/
Last edited by mikrit on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:I am serious; I think they are nameless and faceless for the same reason.
Randall Munroe wrote:Thus, when you see a photo or a realistic drawing of a face - you see it as the face of another.

But when you enter the world of the cartoon - you see yourself.

http://comicsalliance.com/randall-munro ... joss-whed/

Thank you for quoting and posting this; it has made my day. I don't think I knew our GLR had ever said such a wonderful thing.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

edo

Re: A Dash of Ketchup and Haiku

Postby edo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Turns out the newbie
Was not so lucky; transformed
Into raptorcat.

(Would not blitz again.)

I just realized something:

"Instead of office
chair, package contained bobcat.
Would not buy again"
-RM, xkcd325 (of course)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Well, time for another ketchup of the homeopathic brand, from your representative in a wilderness not about to get drowned by global warming...

Glad to see both Minim and Stratplayer on the Run!

I'm a little doubting over the possibility to build a raft carrying 20 persons and luggage from the stuff in a nomad camp, not even using the rods from the tent, but maybe the hillbullies were generous with their garbage.
Hopefully the gang in the hillbullie-hills can build their own raft.

If the baobabs truly know what they're doing they'll pump themselves full of air, interlock roots, and form a raft bobbing about halfway underwater. They'll drift along in this manner as the Mediterranean fills, picking up hedgemolpies and squirpies along the way. Eventually when the sea level stabilizes they drift ashore and take root right where the Cueganites have settled. Unfortunately the sudden influx of dozens of small mammals attracts several raptorcats, ravenously hungry from their long journey out of the basin, and when Cuegan goes out in search of food and fresh water they are quickly devoured by the lurking keyboards. Thus ends time.

Yeah! I kind of like that scenario :twisted:

And now they are rafting among trees. That was earlier than expected. Cuegan had to walk far before seeing more than minimal brushes. :?

And a rather seaish discussion about the universe (hereticakl) that I just have to jump into... Just because I love the sound of my own keyboard :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Focusing too much on one specific example is missing the point. The point the character, and I, was trying to make is that there are theoretical universes that are simply not consistent with the intelligent beings that occupy them. There isn't a universe anywhere with a person just like me having a bookshelf full of empty books, because I wouldn't have a bookshelf like that. Does such a universe exist because random quantum fluctuations make the books all go blank? And many more universes where only one of the books has blank pages? And many, many more universes where just one page gets blanked? And a huge majority of universes where nothing odd happens? It seems much more likely to me that there are deep, mysterious things that we don't yet understand about the relationship between conscious, intelligent beings and the physical and quantum mechanical universe, that would preclude "ridiculous" universes like that ever coming into existence.

Two objections.
First: This theory about parallel universes separated each time a quantum wave collapses is just a totally unproven theory. There is afaik nothing in the quantum theory that says it should be like that.
Second: A problem with your argumentation could be that the theory says that (something remotely like) each outcome of a quantum reaction will have all possible outcomes (in different universes). It says nothing about that all imaginable kinds of bookshelves must exist (I think... :? ). I am not convinced that the former necessarily implies the latter.

Prediction: The raft stops moving. Cueball tries to work out which way is forward and divides by zero. Thus ends time.

... made me think of ...
Spoiler:
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/21607000/ngbbs4c624d7192d31.jpg

NetWeasel wrote...
However, there could be someone south of Greece, who was warned by the Beanies, who is just finishing a big boat full of animals.....

You mean a selected number of molpies of each kind :wink: In fact some somewhat far flung theories about the legends of the Ark claim that it comes from the similar but much more recent disaster when the Black Sea basin filled in. Ten thousend year ago? Haven't time to check. Homeopathic ketchup forbidding :(

The other gang found a boat? This might get interesting. Twenty land crabs in a boat! :twisted:

ucim wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:
While there is plenty of story that could still be told, this feels too much like a grand climax to me;

There have been no heroics yet. This setting is too epic to go by without grand heroics. This is nowhere near a grand climax. We are just starting off on the adventure that will lead to the grand climax, which will be at the castle, as the BIG waves start to arrive.

Don't forget the romance! We can't have a full story without a romance! (No! Holding hands doesn't count)
And while on that topic. I guess nobody else has (no I don't really) but I had expected some sort of romance between Megan and Cueball, but no, nothing at all (No! Holding hands doesn't count). I guess they might be siblings. Some of you think she comes from another place just because only Cueball had a relationship with the rock. But that seems like scant evidence to me. Anyway - DISAPPOINTED!
Well, that's all from the deep forests today ...perhaps ...I really should disconnect
Last edited by Swein on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

A bit on the late side, but:

Happy birthday, dear Time, happy birthday to you!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:I still think the survival of the beret for 11,000 years is about as bizarre as the enduring Bilby towers.

And I still don't understand why the survey towers (bilby towers look different BTW, see http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/sur ... imber.html) should be a problem. While effective, they're not complicated technology by any stretch of the imagination. Plus for all we know, Rosetta might just have an old surveying textbook in her library.
Go Minim go!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Reunited, and it feels so ONG...

The world is ending, and what is your first question?
Random Cueganite wrote:Why do you have little tables covered in sand?

Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Wow, that is a lot of people in one XKCD frame.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Wow, that is a lot of people in one XKCD frame.

33 are visible, and there could be more behind the fabric/skin side.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

but first...

here's Jackie, to tell you how to rid the world of all known diseases...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Eternal Density

But first..

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Why is my hovercraft full of eels?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Blindposting, because you guys keep making new pages and I can't keep up.

ZoomanSP wrote:Returning OTTers:
lmjb1964 wrote:Oh dear, I'm not doing a very good job of lurking. :)

And I'm glad about it, your posts are always a pleasure to read! Welcome back!

Aw, thanks! Yours too!

rvloon wrote:Can't help but wonder
With all the water around
Where will they all pee?

:lol:

jjjdavidson wrote:Just a quick post to sort of fill in until Kieryn has time to get back to his data. As of this morning (precisely, as of the 49292nd post) there have been 1287 distinct Waiters posting to the One True Thread. Kieryn's latest data (from a month ago, June 25th) showed 1175 posters; we've added 112 new posters in the last month.

Spoiler:
The 42 most frequent posters (because 42's "about forty", and because 42!):[spoiler]2191 mscha (includes newpixbot)
1857 BlitzGirl
1002 HAL9000
893 KarMann
882 ChronosDragon
819 charlie_grumbles
809 StratPlayer
735 SBN
710 Kieryn
701 AluisioASG
690 k.bookbinder
686 buffygirl
669 Exodies
662 Eternal Density
654 yappobiscuits
631 Dracomax
590 Valarya
572 Opiboble
559 jjjdavidson
553 pelrigg
551 azule
521 Latent22
483 HES
482 taixzo
472 Helper
459 ucim
441 kenmelken
415 fhorn
404 Angelastic
398 higgs-boson
392 tman2nd
384 TheMinim
367 spamjam
361 jovialbard
358 Rule110
348 htom
340 lmjb1964
340 Neil_Boekend
322 cmyk
320 edo
302 cellocgw
289 AionArap

Yay, I'm in the top 42! But it looks like cmyk might drop off that list soon. I miss cmyk. And of course Helper. And AionArap? What happened to xem?

pkcommando wrote:I'm counting ~15 using the previous nexpix. Anyone w/ better eyes want to take a count once they zoom in on that? Or should we wait for it and hope for a closer newpix?

Hey, pkcommando, what's up with that sig of yours? Raptors taking over the universe? Not on my watch!! *puts on RAZOR uniform*

joselynmay wrote:My posts are showing up now! *Thank you mods*<snip>

Hi, JoselynMay!

StratPlayer wrote:Been a long time since I last posted... May be another long time before I post again...

Spoiler:
But:

The OTC is still amazing, and I'm still keeping up! Who'd a thunk that from two simple stick figures sitting on a beach would have arisen this massive saga?!?!?! Not I, and I'm awestruck to see it still going, and still adding new characters, plot, events, intrigue, and immense WOW factor, lo, all these many, many frames later!

The OTT is still amazing, but I'm not keeping up, alas... A snippet here and there; a micro-bingish blitz from time to time; and then the Outside pulls me away. At some point, a FULL, complete blitz might be in order to retro-experience it in it's awesome fullness. But for now, it's hit or miss.

But today I post and I send a warm and earnest hello to all!!!!

And I'm in on the counting page! Woot! My OCD loves it!!!!

I'll try and post again some time before page 12,345...

StratPlayer! So nice to see you! I'm often dragged off by the Outside, but get back when I can--hope we'll meet back here soon!

Scott Auld wrote:I feel bad now for calling them stupid, for not knowing anything about the sea or rivers, back in late May or early June. I didn't know they were prehistoric folks. :oops:

Wouldn't it be posthistoric? (sorta ninja'd)

cryptoengineer wrote:I strongly urge you to check Prisencolinensinainciusol out - It's how an pop song in English sounds if you don't understand English, and is superb - I sometimes play it for people, and it's amazing how people try to pull comprehension out of it. It's one of the strangest thing's I've ever heard. The dancing is cool, too.

Whoa. That is wild!

Angelastic wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm definitely part of the club of people who wants to marry yappo. :P There was an acronym for it, but I can't remember and search is failing.
MYQM

Cool! Sign me up! Except I think he's only 21, so it would be a little cougarish of me...

mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:The raft goes sideways!
An ingenious solution:
Let's call this the front.

FTFY.

Hi to StratPlayer!

Where do y'all find time to read books? I can barely keep up with the OTT...

I know! I was thinking the same thing! Don't you people ever coma?

yappobiscuits wrote:And while we're at it, might as well get all the smileys together...
Spoiler:
(I love you, Meg!)>Image<(I love you, Cue!)
Image <(HI!)
Image <(Whoa, can't we get some privacy here?)
Image <(I have a neat hat.)
Image <(Wow! Neat.)
Image <(Yeah.)
Image <(ImageImageImageImageImage . ImageImageImageImageImageImage) (Translation: "Not as neat as mine!")
Image<(SilHUSHence now, pairBOTH of you, you both have goodFABULOUS headHATSclothes.)
Image <(MY hat has a FLAG on it!)
Image <(Who the chirp are you?)
Image <(Shut up BlitzGirl, you're not even IN the comic!)
Image <( :( )

OK, that seals it, I am DEFINITELY in the MYQM.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

NetWeasel

Re: But first..

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

But first a message from the SPCM:

"Friends, please spay or neuter your pet molpys..."
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”