1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Wow, BlitzGirl predicted my decree and future-ninja'd me on it WHILE I WAS TYPING.

Also, I missed my 600th post last NP. Someone give me a cake! Image

Happy 600 posts, Valarya!
Spoiler:
You might have to think outside the cake box a bit herecurrent title text
ETA: Image PFANP! Decree: more predictions about LaPetite's rescue idea!
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Alt-text is still "..."; I doubt it will change again before the next newpix.

Per papal decree: Next alt-text will be "SWIM."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

This one is pretty much obsolete now that they've located the rest of the Cueganites and are en route via sandcastle boat... But all the same:

RUN for IT. Part I
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
seaMID1aaaaa.gif
Wait for it.
seaMID1aaaaa.gif (1.22 MiB) Viewed 10736 times
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:
Spoiler:
So, Cuegan spend a day or two playing in the sand, then leave (unannounced?) their tribe for a couple of weeks, coming back to find the rest split into two groups. Each group has been industrious enough to build rafts. This would imply some type of organization and direction. However, when Cuegan appears, it seems like Cueball has assumed a position of leadership with the others asking him for direction and him not shirking from that task.

This is odd on two levels - 1) in his dealing with Megan, she took the alpha position. It was her insistance and prodding that got them to the Beanies. 2) LaPetite seems to have taken charge in building one raft and getting her group to relative safety. We don't know much about the second group but someone had enough initiative to gather materials and built a raft.

It doesn't look like there are any elders in the group. There are two women (I assume) with their hair tied in buns. This suggests to me (perhaps wrongly) that they are older but neither they, nor any of the men have stepped forward.

Except Cueball.

I don't know how or why, but he has become the de facto leader of the tribe. Unless Megan or La Petite gives him a dope slap (thwap!) and asserts her authority.

Looks to me more like Megan is taking the leadership role. Because she has the Maps, and knows how to use them. She's the one who explained the situation at the village. She's the one who told them they had to evacuate. She's the one who saw the value of rafting on the Castle. She's the one who gave the command to go. Cueball's big contribution was designating a new front for the raft. :)

She's also the one that told them they can't abandon the raft, in this last pix.

Megan's in charge, not Cueball. And I think it's mostly because 1) she's naturally assertive and 2) she has a Plan.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Hey, wait-for-it a minute.. there are more of these? 8-) :wink:

RUN for IT. Part II
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
seaRIGHT1aaaa.gif
WAIT. FOR. IT.
seaRIGHT1aaaa.gif (997.88 KiB) Viewed 10730 times

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

So what do we think the new alt-text will be? "FLOAT!"? "PADDLE!"? "ABANDON ALL HOPE!"?

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:The world is ending, and what is your first question?
Random Cueganite wrote:Why do you have little tables covered in sand?

Like I said. They're all grad students. Even the little kids.

No no no, you all didn't get it. The question actually was about why they have covered Little Tables in sand. That's the kid who happened to stand under the edge of the upper deck when most of the sand was swept down. His name was handed down in a slightly worn-down form through the millenia from Robert'); DROP TABLE Students;--, a. k. a. Little Bobby Tables.

Oh good, I didn't break the forums.

Edit: changed word order for clarity
Last edited by svenman on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:The world is ending, and what is your first question?
Random Cueganite wrote:Why do you have little tables covered in sand?

Like I said. They're all grad students. Even the little kids.

No no no, you all didn't get it. The question actually was about why they have Little Tables covered in sand. That's the kid who happened to stand under the edge of the upper deck when most of the sand was swept down. His name was handed down in a slightly worn-down form through the millenia from Robert'); DROP TABLE Students;--, a. k. a. Little Bobby Tables.

Oh good, I didn't break the forums.

LIttlest Bangs Tables.

For decree: LaPetite will magically produce an entire fleet of raftcastles built from all of the sandcastles the Forty and their kids have ever made on the shores near where they lived.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

ok, just for the record, I'm in the "wait for it" camp.
Spoiler:
Which, by my own record, means it won't be "wait for it". Sorry, fellow waitforites.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:So, Cuegan spend a day or two playing in the sand, then leave (unannounced?) their tribe for a couple of weeks, coming back to find the rest split into two groups. Each group has been industrious enough to build rafts.

Actually, neither group had built rafts.
The group in the hills found theirs, and LaPetite, by herself, converted Cuegan's sandcastle into a raft, which was completed by the group after Cuegan returned.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

RUN for IT. Part III
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
seaLEFT1aaaa.gif
RUN. for. IT?
seaLEFT1aaaa.gif (1.05 MiB) Viewed 10727 times

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

I can already see the religion starting now...

The sea stared rising, about to destroy all the world (all the world they knew) because of something bad the people were doing, when out of nowhere, The Two appeared (the fact that they were from there will be forgotten.) The Two caused rafts to appear, and gathered The People (what all peoples call themselves) unto the rafts, and set out on the rising seas....

When The People approached The Two and said, "Mighty Ones, we are but simple people, and thirst mightily in this great sea." The two then performed a miracle: fresh water, fresher than the freshest river fell from the sky! The Two stated,"in honor of your goodness, we promise that from this day forward, fresh water shall fall from the sky, that you never need fear thirst."

Etc., etc.... throw in a rainbow from the increased water vapor in the air, and you've got a nice religion!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot-- they came down from the mountain with the sacred knowlege of future events....
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

worriedONG
Last edited by edo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Mingling amONGst the crowd:
Spoiler:

Edit: Ninja'd. Anyway, Cueball and Megan are now down amongst the Forty, and Bunny has taken their place up top.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Still ...

hmm.
Image- Kieryn

Eternal Density

blindposting

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

My current favorite series are:
The Dresden Files-Wizard PI takes on threats to Chicago, and eventually the world
The Mercy Thomson series-Seatlle based mechanic deals with being part of the supernatural world
and
David Weber's Safehold series-Robot copy of long dead space Marine fights to drag the last remaining human colony out of a religous barbarism that has forced stagnation at rennaisance level or lower technology.

I've read the first two Safehold books so far (well, listened to the audiobooks) and I enjoyed them a lot. Really interesting genre cross! (I also very much like Weber's Honorverse in general)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

... animated gif fail ...

Edit:
PLEASE STANDBY AND CONTINUE TO wait-for-it
Last edited by chem1190c on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:13 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

So, the title text remains at “...(.)”; longer than last time.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

At least they're taking some more Time to consider instead of snatching the maps and RUNning away...

(probably helps that they're surrounded by churning sea-river water)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:So, the title text remains at “...(.)”; longer than last time.

I wonder if it will stay that way? Maybe it will start incrementing like a progress bar?
Image- Kieryn

wertle

Postby wertle » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Predicting, they never leave the new sea and become a nomadic water tribe, living off whatever floats by and fish.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Speaking of ONGs, it's not about “winning” or being “fr1st”, but about coming up with a creative ONG....

For the creativity challenged, here's a helpful list of 152 words containing "ong"

Spoiler:
along alongside among amongst belong belonged belonging belongings belongs bongs congeal congealed congealing congenial congeniality congenially congenital congest congested congestion congestive conglomerate conglomerates conglomeration congratulate congratulated congratulating congratulation congratulations congratulatory congregate congregated congregates congregating congregation congregational congregations congress congresses congressional congressionally congressman congressmen congresswoman congresswomen congruence congruent decongestant decongestants diphthong elongate elongated elongation fishmonger folksong furlong gong gongs headlong headstrong headstrongly headstrongness hopalong hourlong humongous incongruent incongruity incongruous incongruously lifelong long long-term longed longer longest longevity longhand longhorns longing longingly longings longitude longitudes longitudinal longs longshore longstanding mongering mongoose mongooses nongovernment nongovernmental oblong ongoing pong prolong prolongate prolonged prolonging prolongs prong pronged pronghorn prongs singsong song songbird songbirds songbook songs songwriter songwriters songwriting sponge sponged sponger spongers sponges sponging spongolith spongy strong strong-armed strong-willed stronger strongest stronghold strongholds strongly strongman thong throng throngs tongs tongue tongued tongues uncongeal uncongealed warmonger warmongering wrong wrongdoer wrongdoers wrongdoing wrongdoings wronged wrongful wrongfully wronging wrongly wrongs
Lost forever in time...

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Blindpost from NP1236.

sford wrote:
Spoiler:
The English Angora rabbit is the only rabbit that has hair covering its eyes.

Hm… its eyes…

yappobiscuits wrote:Christopher Paolini, author of the Inheritance Cycle, seems to be a follower of the OTC and is at least partly aware of us lot. Neat! Perhaps he's lurking here. Everybody wave at him.

* performs a flyby
I've never read his books, but I've watched Eragon, and I guess I could put them in my queue, after the Robot Empire Foundation and before the Culture.
Now, does that mean we have a Paolini Number?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
ucim wrote:re. haiku: My understanding is that it is supposed to be two contrasting ideas, expressed in seven (Japanese) symbols: 2, 3, 2, and there is supposed to be a reference to seasons, or a season of the year as part of the metaphor. The 5,7,5 syllable thing is an adaptation.

Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound.
Nearly all Japanese syllables are made of only one mora, and each mora is a symbol in the "syllabary" (though it's more of a "morabary"), called kana. こ = ko, し = shi, etc. There's one exception, the kana ん, which is pronounced "n" or "m" and have to appear after another mora: こん is "kon", which is a syllable made of two morae.

So a haiku has 5/7/5 morae, with most morae being syllables in themselves, except for ん.
It's not related to the number of symbols. Kanji, the Chinese characters used in Japanese, often represent more than one mora. And you can use more than one kana to represent one mora because of compounds ("sho" is written しょ, "shi" + little "o") and "long vowels" (こう is "kou", that is a "ko" with the o pronunced slightly longer).

One example:
Spoiler:
これは芭蕉
のひじょうに有名な
俳句です

Written in kana only:
これはばしょう
のひじょうにゆうめいな
はいくです

Pronunciation:
ko-re-ha ba-shou
no hi-jou ni yuu-mei na
ha-i-ku de-su

Three examples from Chiyo-ni, Woman Haiku Master (from the Edo period, 1603 - 1867...and yes, a translated book about her life and Haiku is sitting on my desk)
(English translations, obviously):

cuckoo-
still a blank paper
how lonely

in the moonlight
whatever you wear becomes beautiful
moonviewing

hands drop
all things on the ground-
the clear water

There you have it. Just my little contribution to the conversation on the art of Haiku.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

wertle wrote:Predicting, they never leave the new sea and become a nomadic water tribe, living off whatever floats by and fish.

And a tiger joins them on their watercraft and it becomes "Life of Pi" all over again, complete with new debates on pi in the OTT.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
mscha wrote:So, the title text remains at “...(.)”; longer than last time.

I wonder if it will stay that way? Maybe it will start incrementing like a progress bar?

Oh hey Kieryn! Why haven't I seen you yet, Oop North ain't THAT big :P
wertle wrote:Predicting, they never leave the new sea and become a nomadic water tribe, living off whatever floats by and fish.

And they'll become PIRATES! Image

Edit: What the MUSTARD? I typed this all out but it only posted the first quote so had to type it all again...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, I'm going to try to see what I can come up with for the "What is this whole Pope business about?" section of the FAQ, marking my first attempted Wiki contribution. I've got some spare time, so I might as well help out (even if it's only a capsule explanation and a link to the main page).

Thanks, Hal! I should add that anyone else is welcome to add common newbie-ish questions to the FAQ page on the wiki, or suggest them here on the thread. Also, refining and/or adding answers is awefulsome, too! :)

MajorDouble7 wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
ucim wrote:re. haiku: My understanding is that it is supposed to be two contrasting ideas, expressed in seven (Japanese) symbols: 2, 3, 2, and there is supposed to be a reference to seasons, or a season of the year as part of the metaphor. The 5,7,5 syllable thing is an adaptation.

Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound.
Nearly all Japanese syllables are made of only one mora, and each mora is a symbol in the "syllabary" (though it's more of a "morabary"), called kana. こ = ko, し = shi, etc. There's one exception, the kana ん, which is pronounced "n" or "m" and have to appear after another mora: こん is "kon", which is a syllable made of two morae.

So a haiku has 5/7/5 morae, with most morae being syllables in themselves, except for ん.
It's not related to the number of symbols. Kanji, the Chinese characters used in Japanese, often represent more than one mora. And you can use more than one kana to represent one mora because of compounds ("sho" is written しょ, "shi" + little "o") and "long vowels" (こう is "kou", that is a "ko" with the o pronunced slightly longer).

One example:
これは芭蕉
のひじょうに有名な
俳句です

Written in kana only:
これはばしょう
のひじょうにゆうめいな
はいくです

Pronunciation:
ko-re-ha ba-shou
no hi-jou ni yuu-mei na
ha-i-ku de-su
Three examples from Chiyo-ni, Woman Haiku Master (from the Edo period, 1603 - 1867...and yes, a translated book about her life and Haiku is sitting on my desk)
(English translations, obviously):

cuckoo-
still a blank paper
how lonely

in the moonlight
whatever you wear becomes beautiful
moonviewing

hands drop
all things on the ground-
the clear water

There you have it. Just my little contribution to the conversation on the art of Haiku.

Lovely, thanks for sharing with us!

And ottify'd:

chirpy-
still a black newpix
how lonely

in the Long Night
whenever the stars appear, see OTTers
dateguessing

she drops
all maps on the ground-
the Sandcastle!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound...
Thanks. I'm one of the ten thousand today!

Davidy wrote: However, when Cuegan appears, it seems like Cueball has assumed a position of leadership with the others asking him for direction and him not shirking from that task.
Cuegan has The Answer. And The Map. And The Destination.

... and I get three dots.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Oh... Well, I recognize this moment story-wise. This is the moment that is the greatest crisis- no, not the "moment of decision", but the moment of "oh, well, we made a decision, and everything is crashing down in front of us!" Comparable moments include
Spoiler:
- Frodo keeping the ring
- Will Smith facing all the robots on top of the tower in I, Robot
- Everyone being captured and the mutant machine being activated in X-Men
- And so on

Things will probably get a little worse, someone will then miraculously come up with a new plan, and although things then REALLY (possibly) get worse, everything will end happily ever after.

Spoiler:
Or they drown. One of the two...
*Insert witty comment*

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Still ...

hmm.
On my viewer it went from "...." to "..."
Extrapolating from these 2 data points... (#605)

I figured out some of the maps. If the sea is here, we're already cut off. There's nowhere left to run to. We're going to have to ride it out.
I am reading that as they were on a local hilltop and there is no way for them to resume their trip on foot. They are too far away from the rapidly retreating shoreline....

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

New title text prediction: "Float for it".

For that matter, "RUN" should have been "Run for it!"
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:One example:
Spoiler:
これは芭蕉
のひじょうに有名な
俳句です

Written in kana only:
これはばしょう
のひじょうにゆうめいな
はいくです

Pronunciation:
ko-re-ha ba-shou
no hi-jou ni yuu-mei na
ha-i-ku de-su

Cool; I didn't know about mora (though I did know that haiku are more than just syllable counts; it's just that my haiku detector, which I guess started this trend, is not that smart, and besides, even checking for kigo would make unintentional haiku much rarer.) Isn't that は pronounced 'wa' though, in that context?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:New title text prediction: "Float for it".

For that matter, "RUN" should have been "Run for it!"

I'm partial to "FLOAT. for. IT?" for absolutely no reason. :lol:

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound.

Also, long vowels (e.g. "ō" おう) are one syllable but are two morae.

Sokuon (miniature っ as in "nippon" にっぽん) also count as a mora, but yoon (miniature other kana like ゃ in "ja" じゃ) do not, as I understand it.

So, a sokuon or a final ん is an extra mora without being an extra syllable (so "nippon" has two syllables, but four morae), but a yoon is an extra kana without being an extra mora (or an extra syllable). So for example "kyō" [今日, きょう, meaning "today"] is one syllable, two morae, and three kana.

EDIT: ...and I just realized that this could be read as a criticism of your example (which contains several long vowels counted as a single unit) - I hadn't read the example yet, but I stand by this as I always learned that a long vowel does count as two morae. If you have a source saying otherwise I would be interested to see it.
Last edited by Random832 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:ETA: Image PFANP! Decree: more predictions about LaPetite's rescue idea!

LaPetite: "Pick me! Pick me!!"
Cueball: "Yes, LaPetite, what is it? Do you have a solution?"
LaPetite: "Why don't we just use these jetpacks I built from scratch while we were floating here trying to attach to the other raft?"
Cueball: "..."

I don't know why I seem to believe, and still have faith in, LaPetite's unnatural gifts and talents of super-knowledge and engineering ability.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Oh... Well, I recognize this moment story-wise. This is the moment that is the greatest crisis- no, not the "moment of decision", but the moment of "oh, well, we made a decision, and everything is crashing down in front of us!" Comparable moments include
Spoiler:
- Frodo keeping the ring
- Will Smith facing all the robots on top of the tower in I, Robot
- Everyone being captured and the mutant machine being activated in X-Men
- And so on

Things will probably get a little worse, someone will then miraculously come up with a new plan, and although things then REALLY (possibly) get worse, everything will end happily ever after.

Spoiler:
Or they drown. One of the two...

Yeah, I'm actually thinking there's a drastic possibility of a very large local terrain minimum nearby that's isolated from the main channel... until the moment they are drifting past it.
Image- Kieryn

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Also, I missed my 600th post last NP. Someone give me a cake! Image

eggs, milk, and flour
mix them together and bake
Valarya's cake
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Arky

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I can already see the religion starting now...

The sea stared rising, about to destroy all the world (all the world they knew) because of something bad the people were doing, when out of nowhere, The Two appeared (the fact that they were from there will be forgotten.) The Two caused rafts to appear, and gathered The People (what all peoples call themselves) unto the rafts, and set out on the rising seas....

When The People approached The Two and said, "Mighty Ones, we are but simple people, and thirst mightily in this great sea." The two then performed a miracle: fresh water, fresher than the freshest river fell from the sky! The Two stated,"in honor of your goodness, we promise that from this day forward, fresh water shall fall from the sky, that you never need fear thirst."

Etc., etc.... throw in a rainbow from the increased water vapor in the air, and you've got a nice religion!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot-- they came down from the mountain with the sacred knowlege of future events....

If Cueball's name is revealed to be Noah or Moses we will remember this post for all time.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:ETA: Image PFANP! Decree: more predictions about LaPetite's rescue idea!

LaPetite: "Pick me! Pick me!!"
Cueball: "Yes, LaPetite, what is it? Do you have a solution?"
LaPetite: "Why don't we just use these jetpacks I built from scratch while we were floating here trying to attach to the other raft?"
Cueball: "..."

I don't know why I seem to believe, and still have faith in, LaPetite's unnatural gifts and talents of super-knowledge and engineering ability.

LaPetite: The Little Futuristic French MacGyver (now with more sea-surfing action!).

wertle wrote:Predicting, they never leave the new sea and become a nomadic water tribe <snip>

It would certainly help if some of them learned waterbending right about now...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

I'm somewhat tempted to use a rudimentary crowd simulation to animate the exodus of the cueganites.. quick, someone talk me out of it :lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”