1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jeffallen55

Blindpost from NP1232

Postby jeffallen55 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Blindpost from NP1232:

Yay, only 10 NP behind this time! Much better than yesterday's 16.

A couple responses to comments on my OTVO Rosetta idea:

lmjb1964 wrote:And I really liked the recording you did! Might be too low for Rosetta, but I liked the accent.

Thank you. Listening back I felt like Jim Carrey trying to lie in "Liar, Liar." Played around for a few minutes in Audacity with speed and pitch. Got it to sound more female, although she sounds quite old.

Latent22 wrote:So I take it to do this we would speak the lines then reverse the direction and listen to the output. Then get the voice actor to speak close to what the reversed output sounds like and then reverse that and it will sound sort of like English but hard to understand and weird right?

Exactly. Greytext would be doubletracked so that the second word is heard in the background.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: Word play

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 am UTC

So have we lost all contact with solid ground here? Can anybody tell which direction they're floating now?

dm214 wrote:A question to the English majors. Does this have a name?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.
That's rather... apt.
Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...
You water be ashamed of yourself.
Well, you otter be ashamed of yourself, too!

If it does, Spider Robinson surely used it in a Callahan story somewhere. I'd make one up, but I can't find a good Greek root for "conflict" to append to paronomasia- or paronomasti-.

Arky wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
I can already see the religion starting now...

The sea stared rising, about to destroy all the world (all the world they knew) because of something bad the people were doing, when out of nowhere, The Two appeared (the fact that they were from there will be forgotten.) The Two caused rafts to appear, and gathered The People (what all peoples call themselves) unto the rafts, and set out on the rising seas....

When The People approached The Two and said, "Mighty Ones, we are but simple people, and thirst mightily in this great sea." The two then performed a miracle: fresh water, fresher than the freshest river fell from the sky! The Two stated,"in honor of your goodness, we promise that from this day forward, fresh water shall fall from the sky, that you never need fear thirst."

Etc., etc.... throw in a rainbow from the increased water vapor in the air, and you've got a nice religion!
EDIT: Oh, I forgot-- they came down from the mountain with the sacred knowlege of future events....

If Cueball's name is revealed to be Noah or Moses we will remember this post for all time.

"...these fifteen─ Oy! ─these ten commandments!" (Sorry, TCM featured Mel Brooks all last night...

nerdsniped wrote:I once read a long interview with Gene Wilder, discussing the screenplay for Young Frankenstein. The interviewer noticed that the Creature's grunts are all transcribed as "nnnnnnn", and that every single instance in the entire script had a different number of n's. Gene Wilder was very happy that he'd noticed -- they'd done it deliberately. (And once you know, you can sort of tell, watching the movie.)

...and it's all related.)

ETA: Ack! I'm poge! Why can I never remember the ideas I have for page decrees when I actually hit the top of a page? Okay, if you want to be on-topic [ot] then make a suggestion of something they'd better do soon if they want to survive. And if you want to be off-topic [ot] list your favorite timeodies as a program for Time: The Musical!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:Okay, I hate to drag this out, but when I do as you suggest, it shows me the same thing as the "View Your Posts".

Hmm. Okay, we must have different browsers or interfaces or some other technical thing that I know zero about. Try clicking this link:
search.php?author_id=444922&sr=posts
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MajorDouble7

Re: Blindpost from NP1232

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:Blindpost from NP1232:

Yay, only 10 NP behind this time! Much better than yesterday's 16.

A couple responses to comments on my OTVO Rosetta idea:

lmjb1964 wrote:And I really liked the recording you did! Might be too low for Rosetta, but I liked the accent.

Thank you. Listening back I felt like Jim Carrey trying to lie in "Liar, Liar." Played around for a few minutes in Audacity with speed and pitch. Got it to sound more female, although she sounds quite old.

Latent22 wrote:So I take it to do this we would speak the lines then reverse the direction and listen to the output. Then get the voice actor to speak close to what the reversed output sounds like and then reverse that and it will sound sort of like English but hard to understand and weird right?

Exactly. Greytext would be doubletracked so that the second word is heard in the background.

Excellent idea by Latent22 that I missed earlier...thanks to jeffallen55 for BlindPosting...you can make it!! You're almost in the present!! Maybe this would be the best and/or easiest way to replicate Rosetta's 'accent' (or lack of perfect English), instead of random noise and over-layering the speech...?
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:Okay, I hate to drag this out, but when I do as you suggest, it shows me the same thing as the "View Your Posts".

Hmm. Okay, we must have different browsers or interfaces or some other technical thing that I know zero about. Try clicking this link:
search.php?author_id=444922&sr=posts

Thanks, that worked. :) But I can't for the life of me figure out why there's no way for me to do that...anyway, I'll just have to bookmark that link! Thanks again.

(By the way, I'm running Chrome, latest version, on Windows 7...nothing exotic)
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:Okay, I hate to drag this out, but when I do as you suggest, it shows me the same thing as the "View Your Posts". Also to @Latent22, I never see a clickable link of my username (unless I happen to show up in the image below as last poster). Ideas?
Go to advanced search, put your screename in the second box, and you'll get your posts. Put somebody else's screenname there, you'll get their posts. You can also search for words in a post by putting them in the upper box. You don't even have to be logged in.

I don't know how to find phrases (such as "m and m")

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?autho ... 2&sr=posts

What I usually do is click on my name (or anyone else's) in the list of users at the bottom of a page, then click "Search users's posts". It works best if the user is primarily (or exclusively) an OTTer, like me, because it lists all the user's posts.

ETA: If the user isn't currently logged on (only a problem if you're looking at someone else's posts), then Jose's method one post back is the simplest.

ETA2: I ignored my own decrees! Okay, I think it's time for them to break out the steam bottles; it's unlikely those have a high output rate, and people are gonna start getting thirsty....
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 am UTC

With that, I think it's time to MolpyDown, coma style. Everyone enjoy and I look forward to the Ketchup tomorrow...if I have the Time!!

Spoiler:

hunjoh

Re: Word play

Postby hunjoh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
dm214 wrote:A question to the English majors. Does this have a name?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.

That's rather... apt.

Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...

You water be ashamed of yourself.

Well, you otter be ashamed of yourself, too!

Malapropisms?

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 am UTC

ucim wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:Okay, I hate to drag this out, but when I do as you suggest, it shows me the same thing as the "View Your Posts". Also to @Latent22, I never see a clickable link of my username (unless I happen to show up in the image below as last poster). Ideas?
Go to advanced search, put your screename in the second box, and you'll get your posts. Put somebody else's screenname there, you'll get their posts. You can also search for words in a post by putting them in the upper box. You don't even have to be logged in.

I don't know how to find phrases (such as "m and m")

Jose

Ah, yes, both of what you and jjjdavidson said makes perfect sense. I'll use those from now on. Just wish the chirpin 'Show Posts' button worked like you'd expect it to!! :lol:

coma-out

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:34 am UTC

I see we are now
talking again in haikus
and that I find great
Although today I'd like to
Introduce a new art form

We had haikus and
double-dactyls until then
Here's one lesser known
It's again Japanese but
Is a bit more long and old

It's called a tanka
and is made of a haiku
preceding two lines
Those are seven syllables
or mores in Japanese

The two parts must be
well separated, each of
them are one subject
The first is kami-no-ku
The second shimo-no-ku

Spoiler:
To summarise, a tanka has a 5-7-5--5-5 structure, with two parts: the kami-no-ku, "upper part", which is the basis for haikus which appeared later, and the shimo-no-ku, "bottom part". You can't spread a sentence between the two. The real rules of a tanka also dictate some more things, which you don't have to follow here. For your curiosity, these are:
  • You can ask questions, but not give answers
  • You can only share observations, not give opinions; it must be a sincere feeling, not something from your imagination
  • The first part is usually about nature, while the second can talk about human feelings
Last edited by Pikrass on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 am UTC

New plan...
There are three rafts -- the big one that LaPetite saved from the sandcastle, the raft thrown together from the camp materials, and the one that the twenty scavenged from the HillBullies.

Lash them together into one big round craft in such a way that if one starts to sink, it can quickly be cut away after everybody gets to the other two rafts.

Pole along as close to the edge as you can stay, Eventually you'll hit a river, probably the one Cuegan followed up to the Chateau d'If. Or, back and forth between the two rivers so you don't get lost.

Sleep in shifts, and get ready to catch the rainwater when it falls.

EDIT: And unfurl that sail!
Last edited by NetWeasel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:37 am UTC

For pope: Well, for a long time I was actually considering writing "Time: The One True Musical". It was going to be based not only on the OTC but also on the culture of the OTT, by way of having it set in two parallel worlds/times - One in the "past" (the OTC) and one in the "future" where a tribe of people discover a strange transmission that updates every hour and develop an entire culture around it. A sort of "Book of Dave" kinda thing. I only came up with a few ideas and then sort of abandoned the whole thing when I started thinking of just doing an OTC soundtrack. But now that the OTC's story has developed more, I'm thinking of picking up the idea again but having it as JUST an adaptation of the OTC.
Kieryn wrote:Actually we'd have loved to visit the lakes...but we had a preset schedule mostly arrange by my mom. I'm presuming you are around there as your website mentions Cumbria. My wife's not been there yet even after I keep telling her how beautiful it is every year. Maybe next year we'll go, but then, we always say that. :-(

Yup, I live in the north west lakes. It's awesomeful. :mrgreen:

ETA - Thoughts for the future: We still haven't actually met any hill-people yet. I'm thinking maybe if/when the Cueganites find safety, the Hill People will also be there and they'll have to settle their differences. One way Time could go on...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AluisioASG

OTT upvote script

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:40 am UTC

Blindpost.
Someone asked for a post upvote script. I can do it, but I need access to a database+scripting-enabled webserver (I could try to use Amazon, but I can't go beyond the free tier). Even CGI shell scripts and SQLite would be enough.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Eternal Density

miniottifiction?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
libra wrote:I just checked. The latest change to the alt text is three full stops - a standard '...' ellipsis. Not four stops.

That is correct. For less than half a newpix, it was four dots. The fourth dot apparently was mustard, as it was changed to three shortly after the OTT noticed it.
"There are four dots."

ETA:
MajorDouble7 wrote:With that, I think it's time to MolpyDown, coma style.

Coma Molpy Style
Molpy Style.
Molpy Style.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Sadrak86 wrote:This is either going to be awesome, tragic, hilarious, or both.

Throwing firstpost forward. Welcome, Sadrak86. I think you're right. (But I hope more hilarious than tragic.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:50 am UTC

The water rises
More tree trunks are floating by
The flood is coming
Will the Forty finally
reach the saving higher ground?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Re: miniottifiction?

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Coma Molpy Style
Molpy Style.
Molpy Style.

HEYYYY NEAT SANDCASTLE
Co - co - co - Coma Molpy Style!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am UTC

GLR tired of drawONG so many stick figures?
RebuildONG the tent on the raft of the Second Twenty.

ETA: we still have to
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Well, we've got time now, let's strip the whole camp....
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am UTC

It's a raftyurt!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 am UTC

I think the curly haired Cueganite is Alan Davies off of QI :P

ETA: Hey, it's my Post of the Beast! :twisted:
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 am UTC

mscha wrote:GLR tired of drawONG so many stick figures?
RebuildONG the tent on the raft of the Second Twenty.

Assuming the yurts are circular, GLR just showed us how wide the rafts are (or at least that one at the back).

ETA: My 42nd post! DON'T PANIC.
Last edited by neopifex on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Well, we've got time now, let's strip the whole camp....

They're up in the hills, now; they're some distance away from the camp. But they could easily have broken down one or more yurts during the frantic-building-blackout phase.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:It's a raftyurt!

Or a Geraft.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 am UTC

CasCat wrote:

They're up in the hills, now; they're some distance away from the camp. But they could easily have broken down one or more yurts during the frantic-building-blackout phase.

They're floating on the new sea¹¹, actually, so definitely no stripping.
We saw them dismantle one complete yurt, and take the cloth of another. Don't know if there were any other ones, but that covers what they're using on the rafts.

¹¹: bigger than ever – or at least in recent centuries
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 am UTC

CasCat wrote:

OK... couldn't quite tell.

So they're stuck in the hills until the water rises over them? Can't they just go around?

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:11 am UTC

mscha wrote:GLR tired of drawONG so many stick figures?

SettlONG in....

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:11 am UTC

spamjam wrote:

Or a Geraft.

I like this. I will steal it. :D
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:12 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
CasCat wrote:

OK... couldn't quite tell.

So they're stuck in the hills until the water rises over them? Can't they just go around?

The hills have already gone under, leaving them far away from the receding shore. Hence rebuilding the yurt and getting ready to stay on the rafts a while.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 am UTC

spamjam wrote:

Or a Geraft.

I dunno, looks kinda short for a geraft.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 am UTC

hunjoh wrote:The hills have already gone under, leaving them far away from the receding shore. Hence rebuilding the yurt and getting ready to stay on the rafts a while.

So all they've got left is to huddle together and suddenly figure out how to paddle, or hope for enough wind to blow them to shore?

Or else "wonder where they'll float next"

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Math discussion and hypothesis. Relic of our past in the OTT

Spoiler:
Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Not only that, I was in my fifth year of graduate study before anyone really taught me what mathematics is. I doubt that few teachers of it really know.
Creation of new knowledge. Not reviewing/studying the already known.

Are you sure? Do Mathematicians create or discover mathematics? That is, do they create new systems of rules and “stuff,” or do they discover the relationships that are already existing somehow embedded in nature?

I think he just meant that it's not about learning the right method of solving such-and-such problem, it's about coming up with those methods; in other words, learning and applying the Pythagorean theorem isn't really "doing mathematics", discovering and proving the Pythagorean theorem is.

In the same way that learning Newton's Laws of Motion isn't "doing physics", but theorizing and testing those same laws is doing physics.

And Pythagoras and Newton already did those respective bits of math and physics, and if you want to do more math and physics of your own you have to (attempt to) make a new discovery of your own, not just read about what discoveries others already came up with.

Yes, exactly, though this has been discussed extensively in the OTT.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 am UTC

hunjoh wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:So they're stuck in the hills until the water rises over them? Can't they just go around?

The hills have already gone under, leaving them far away from the receding shore. Hence rebuilding the yurt and getting ready to stay on the rafts a while.

Although, quite recently there were still "shallows" for the Other 20's raft to get bogged down in. So the hills are not yet entirely submerged (or possibly the tops just now went under). I think the issue is more that the hills are local maxima, with plains on the other side, and those plains are already well underwater. There's no useful refuge within poling distance.

ETA:

NetWeasel wrote:So all they've got left is to huddle together and suddenly figure out how to paddle, or hope for enough wind to blow them to shore?

Yeah, it's not clear to me exactly what the plan is now....
Last edited by nerdsniped on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 am UTC

lgw wrote:
spamjam wrote:

Or a Geraft.

I dunno, looks kinda short for a geraft.

It's drinking.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:23 am UTC

....AAaaand I'm back. Only one more day of classes, and then I'll be at liberty to post whenever I want again! I have something...special...planned for 888. My next 5 posts may not make sense at first. You'll see. Spot of ketchup:

Neil_Boekend wrote:
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

If you want to continue reading about humans who form companionships with sentient dragons, I recommend the novels of Temeraire - it's a series set in an alternate-history Napoleonic wars where one of the main forces in addition to the navy and army is the draconic air force - it's a really interesting read, both from a fantasy perspective and a historical fiction perspective, I've really been enjoying it (the series isn't done - apparently there's two more books to come, one of which is out this...August, I believe).

Zorin_75 wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
saralonde wrote:
Eliram wrote:IMO Hairdo/Rosetta's voice could/should be layered with multiple channels, as is the visual representation of the text. The main channel should be the loudest one, back channels can include the grey words, static noise (which gets louder in the black spots) and/or a reversed version of the recording with lower volume.

Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

I think this is a good suggestion...hearing Rosetta speak in a very thick/unfamiliar (non-English) accent would certainly lend an air of authenticity of what was represented on screen. Also the layering is a must, in my opinion. Whether it be JUST white noise or some of her 'alternate' words that were overlayed during her speech, or both.

Sounds good, both the layering and the foreign accent. Actually deciphering the blotchspeak felt a lot like hearing French to me (in theory I speak it a little, but the hard part is making out any words in the first place...) :wink:

Wow, yeah, I just realized that's exactly what it's like. I can understand French with a lot of effort and, in some cases, a little digital trickery - just like Rosetta's dialogue :o

Eternal Density

Re: miniottifiction?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Coma Molpy Style
Molpy Style.
Molpy Style.

HEYYYY NEAT SANDCASTLE
Co - co - co - Coma Molpy Style!
Great, now you've inspired me.

I'm halfway done:
Spoiler:
Coma Molpy Style
Molpy Style

Blitzin' the thread, just one more page until I ketch it
Read through the decrees, signposts, ONGs and ponder ev'ry tidbit
All I need is just a bit of Time to read all of it
But Outside says I have to quit

Mustard might appear
The other night we saw an extra star just disappear
Some extra Cueganites went too, turned back into thin air
An extra alt-text dot is gone as well, will we ever know where?
Were they ever there?

In the O.T.T., follow the decree
Cos I'm the pope, hey!
So post some rope, hey!
When you're postin', you can be boastin'
About out aims, hey!
To have no flames, hey!

Cos we turn our disagreements into games...

Coma Molpy style
Molpy style
Co - co - co - co - Coma Molpy Style
Molpy style

Heyyyy, Neat Sandcastle
Heyyyy, Neat Sandcastle
(Technically I'm OTTifying Minecraft Style because it has English lyrics I can actually see the rhyme and rhythm of it.)
Thoughts/suggestions?

(edit: note: some words need emphasis on the wrong syllable to fit :P)
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:33 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
hunjoh wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:So they're stuck in the hills until the water rises over them? Can't they just go around?

Although, quite recently there were still "shallows" for the Other 20's raft to get bogged down in. So the hills are not yet entirely submerged (or possibly the tops just now went under). I think the issue is more that the hills are local maxima, with plains on the other side, and those plains are already well underwater. There's no useful refuge within poling distance.

ETA:

NetWeasel wrote:So all they've got left is to huddle together and suddenly figure out how to paddle, or hope for enough wind to blow them to shore?

Either a sail or waiting for the phenomena of the filling sea to push them inexorably towards the new shoreline. I don't think they can really do a Life of Pi here. No tiger, too many mouths to catch rainwater for, and would there even be fish in this new sea yet? Would fish survive the gigantic waterfall at Gibraltar before the water levels equalise?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:35 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Yeah, it's not clear to me exactly what the plan is now....

Isn't it obvious?
Just keep floating and hope that the current will bring them to land (which it probably will, as the sea¹¹ still has quite some growing to do). There's not much else they can do, after all.

(They'll probably float up through one of the valleys/canyons of the Rhône – perhaps we'll see our ⁷terfall again – and end up at Château d'If.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:39 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
hunjoh wrote:

ETA:

This is a bit strange. They were following a river. If they aren't still in/over that river, one of two things happened:
(a) the river arose in a spring on a local hilltop, so following it just took them there.
(b) the time they spent in reuniting the 40 left the water's edge so far away and the water so deep that they can't pole along anymore.

I thought Megan's point in M3067 was that they wanted to cut across the (now seaish) rivulets on foot, but can no longer do so. They may still be in "their" river, but it isn't the one they want. It wouldn't take them to the castle.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”