1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:... end of story!

:shock:

*bursts out crying*

No, not that story, just HAL9000 saying it's not a molpy. Image

Hey, I didn't think it was enough movement for it to be an animal. Remember when Lucky first started shifting, and the whole bush changed a bit?
Also, since there's water movement, there's probably some air movement as well.

Stop being so ch*rpin' rational! If I say it's a ch*rpin' molpy, it's a ch*rpin' molpy. Capisce?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Oh hell, why not. This is the third time Facebook has been brought up. Please add me Time buddies Waiters. Forever - xoxo

Disclaimer: if you don't like knowing what internet people are named IRL - don't click the above link.

I am wary of a FB group for the OTT. Just...I don't know. I barely use my RL FB account. But the Wiki forum might suit our purposes as a refuge.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:32 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Actually, this was in my bag of trickses:
Spoiler:

Too subtle.
Spoiler:

When I was an Africanist, this would have made me so happy...

Aww, cute. The days when BlitzGirl and I were staunchly Africanists and everyone else was all MADAGASCAR!
Last edited by Valarya on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:36 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Oh hell, why not. This is the third time Facebook has been brought up. Please add me Time buddies Waiters. Forever - xoxo

Disclaimer: if you don't like knowing what internet people are named IRL - don't click the above link.

y0 (see what I did there (why not) (y sub zero))
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

I am wary of a FB group for the OTT. Just...I don't know. I barely use my RL FB account. But the Wiki forum might suit our purposes as a refuge.

A facebook group would be easy, but I think the wiki forum might be a better idea. That way those of us who wish to preserve their anonymity can do so and still participate.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Too subtle.
Spoiler:

Aww, cute. The days when BlitzGirl and I were staunchly Africanists and everyone else was all MADAGASCAR!

Well, they might have drifted to Africa, for all we know. Happy now? Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 am UTC

I may use heretical words, but it's out of my control right now...

Well... This has been a wonderful journey. From the first pic when we thought GLR is taking the day off, the realization that the image is changing, the "I think they're building a sandcastle", the "Randall's pregnant" [sic] (and similar thoughts), "hey, JavaScript!" and many other fun moments. I never thought it would turn out to become THE most amazing xkcd ever totaling more than 50 thousand replies on its thread. So, it has come to this...

There are no words... It may have been "only" four heretical months, but the feeling you get when you see your clock change from (n):59 to (n+1):00 (or maybe (n-23):00) is amazing. I don't like ketchuping from phone (since it usually means I'm somewhere outside with my friends), but when I check the time and see it's just past ONG - I just think to myself: "Can't wait to get home to see what's going on right now"... I've been through a lot of stuff during the OTC (I posted about some, but not the most) and I had only one constant to rely on - "The ONG". Well, dear ONG, you served me well. This is by no means "5. Acceptance". I do not accept the end of Time. I just thought that this might be a good Time to share my view about this... piece of art.

I'd also like to thank all the OTTers for each and every post you made here. Every opinion, every insight, every OTTification, every Kittenmolpy, every time you ignored my drunken ramblings (special thanks for that! :)) and every post you made.

This is far from good-bye. I just feel that it's the right time to acknowledge all of you.
Also, I drank "a few" beers, but that doesn't matter.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 am UTC

mscha wrote:No ONG! Image

Nooooooooooo!!!!! :( :cry:

mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:Actually, there is an ONG, but it's an old one, same as np3092. So we're looping now.
I bet this is not what jjjdavidson had in mind. Image

So you think newpix 3092, 3093 and 3094 will loop eternally? :cry:

We'll have to (for old Time's sake)
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Could be, but the GLR might also have a pool of ‘end’ images and serve a random one every newpix. (If that's the case, we might get a new one next hour, then one 5 hours later, and that's it. That'll be nasty for the newpix<->time conversion...)

So...I suppose both my newpix clocks are useless now :(

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Too subtle.
Spoiler:

I am an Eternal Africanist! I believe they drifted to Africa, rather than to Spain! So, hooray for elepholpies!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:Oh hell, why not.<snip>

A facebook group would be easy, but I think the wiki forum might be a better idea. That way those of us who wish to preserve their anonymity can do so and still participate.

I feel like I should add another disclaimer. Fb is not a secondary place for the OTT. It will not even be a group. But several people on here use fb, mentioned it and might want to 'link' up just in case. So it's out there for those people. Feel free to not click on it at all. :arrow:

Besides, this thread isn't going ANYWHERE as far as BlitzGirl and her molpy army are concerned anyway... so no need to worry! :wink:

ETA:
Decree:
Post an army of molpies. Or not. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Valarya on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl, I can't even tell what you've done with that fakeONG, definitely too subtle :P
Valarya wrote:I feel like I should add another disclaimer. Fb is not a secondary place for the OTT. It will not even be a group. But several people on here use fb, mentioned it and might want to 'link' up just in case. So it's out there for those people. Feel free to not click on it at all. :arrow:

This. I feel a bit silly for bringing up the idea of an FB group now, since so many seem to hate the idea.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:40 am UTC

taixzo wrote:So...I suppose both my newpix clocks are useless now :(

Yeah, for now it looks like true Time will be stuck at np3094 forever.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Too subtle.
Spoiler:

Already clicked. I very much dig the Blade Runner header ;)

Others stated the idea of a FB group (as HAL9000 did). I am just so terrible at checking FB I would be afraid I would miss something. Still, I might cave if enough people show interested in connecting through FB. I would hate to lose contact with so many talented people. I have no contributed much to the OTT but believe me, many people here have given me some very wonderful idea, and have inspired me to continue with my goal of writing a novel.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:42 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:This. I feel a bit silly for bringing up the idea of an FB group now, since so many seem to hate the idea.

Imagine how vulnerable I'm feeling right now. :wink: :oops:

k.bookbinder wrote:Already clicked. I very much dig the Blade Runner header ;)

Awesome that you get the reference! :D

k.bookbinder wrote:Others stated the idea of a FB group (as HAL9000 did). I am just so terrible at checking FB I would be afraid I would miss something. Still, I might cave if enough people show interested in connecting through FB. I would hate to lose contact with so many talented people.

I did state earlier that we could have a new forum on a different site. I think it would work much more smoothly than forums on the wiki. And remember, xuys... this is ONLY if the OTT were to lock, but this page of army-molpies will stop that from happening.

For decree:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Valarya on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Re: Facebook

My facebook page has been linked from my profile for a while...
Anyway: https://www.facebook.com/byteflush

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:42 am UTC

I was just thinking, (I know it's dangerous) but I wonder how much the pages will shift when all the "firstposts" get out of mod-queue in the next couple of daysoutside?
I mean look how many there were just a couple of dips ago when there were all those same questions being thrown around. And because of the quickness of the OTT todip Page Popeness was ignored for the sake of the discussion at hand.

Here's something I thought might be fun. "What If" Randall wrote Time as a prose story? (Or had someone with access to his notes write it.) Novella length perhaps. Then we might get some background info, like Megan or Cueball thoughts at a particular time.

I know, crazy idea, not worth commenting on.

Another crazy idea. Maybe, when, if, we have these meet-ups, we can invite Randall to come and talk about Time and let us ask questions, etc. (Even if it's only a video conference link.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:43 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:BlitzGirl, I can't even tell what you've done with that fakeONG, definitely too subtle :P

It's one for the molpy-hunters. :wink:

yappobiscuits wrote:This. I feel a bit silly for bringing up the idea of an FB group now, since so many seem to hate the idea.

I don't mind it. A FB group would be good for real-life meetups, things like that. :) Sort of a backup plan. But probably only the OTTers who wouldn't mind shedding anonymity would join.

For decree: ImageImageImageImageImage
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:47 am UTC

I've never been particularly afraid of shedding my anonymity here (I've had my soundcloud and youtube links all over the place and never been bothered about revealing my name or my voice), so since facebook's come up, here's mine, feel free to add me, dear fellow OTTers. Is it possible to leave notes with friend requests? I dunno. If it is, be sure to let me know who you are because I don't accept people I don't know. If not... well I'll just have to relax my own rules a bit because I do love you all :P

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Randalldammit, I should stop moping about the end of Time and actually get around to that soundtrack.

Per papal decree:

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:BlitzGirl, I can't even tell what you've done with that fakeONG, definitely too subtle :P

Well, this amateur molpy-hunter needs a hint. :oops:

Me too, in fact. It's not really the best way for a bunch of anonymous internet users to connect, what with the loss of anonymity and all. The wiki forum is a good bastion of last resort. Also, if we want a meetup, there's a "meetups" subforum on this forum.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Pelrigg... you just gave me an idea. I think it has been brought up on in the OTT before but, now that Time has ended, it might be the perfect time. What if every single person in here submitted the same 'What-If' question to Randall? The one I'm remembering being suggested last time was along the lines of:

"What If you spent 4 months updating a story only one frame per hour? What are the consequences? (or benefits or.. anything)" -- something that relates to /1190.

For Decree:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Oh! I think I found it. Squirpy in the tree?
taixzo wrote:Randalldammit, I should stop moping about the end of Time and actually get around to that soundtrack.

As should I... well, even before that I have more important outside work to be doing which the end of Time is keeping me from, Randammit!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Pelrigg... you just gave me an idea. I think it has been brought up on in the OTT before but, now that Time has ended, it might be the perfect time. What if every single person in here submitted the same 'What-If' question to Randall? The one I'm remembering being suggested last time was along the lines of:

"What If you spent 4 months updating a story only one frame per hour? What are the consequences? (or benefits or.. anything)" -- something that relates to /1190.

For Decree:
Spoiler:

Well, Randall will only talk about "Time" if he chooses to. Maybe an audience response would spur him on, but if he's already made up his mind, we probably can't change it.
I'm going to coma now; please try not to leave *too* much for me to read tomorrow. I'll leave you with this in hopes it will distract you from posting:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Me too, in fact. It's not really the best way for a bunch of anonymous internet users to connect, what with the loss of anonymity and all. The wiki forum is a good bastion of last resort. Also, if we want a meetup, there's a "meetups" subforum on this forum.

I never suggested it as the PRIMARY way for us to stay connected. I just thought it might be a nice thing to have for those of us who DO have fb and don't mind shedding anonymity. Like, we have a steam group. Not all of us have steam. I don't. But I'm ok with it existing.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:53 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

We have a winner!

For decree:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 am UTC

As to a fb group, perhaps we could do a mass email-exchange instead? I don't have fb, and refuse to get one (principles are principles,) but I definitely want to keep in touch with y'all.

Has anyone noticed the page Time now links to? Who's that made by? I feel a little betrayed he didn't link to aubronwood...
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I'll leave you with this in hopes it will distract you from posting:
Spoiler:

:mrgreen: Baby coma'd squirpies!! Night, HAL.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HAL's squirpies are much less terrifying than BlitzGirls. Those are the basement squirpies, so GET THEM BACK DOWN THERE! Eeeeeeee

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

taixzo wrote:Randalldammit, I should stop moping about the end of Time and actually get around to that soundtrack.

As should I... well, even before that I have more important outside work to be doing which the end of Time is keeping me from, Randammit!

Thanks, yappo, for spotting that squirpy. I had missed that and was too embarrassed to ask BiltzGirl what she did.

@BlitzGirl, now I can laugh at your sea-like, river-sized joke.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Valarya wrote:

Imagine how vulnerable I'm feeling right now. :wink: :oops:

k.bookbinder wrote:Others stated the idea of a FB group (as HAL9000 did). I am just so terrible at checking FB I would be afraid I would miss something. Still, I might cave if enough people show interested in connecting through FB. I would hate to lose contact with so many talented people.

I did state earlier that we could have a new forum on a different site. I think it would work much more smoothly than forums on the wiki. And remember, xuys... this is ONLY if the OTT were to lock, but this page of army-molpies will stop that from happening.

For decree:
Spoiler:

Are you suggesting that there are actually people who DON'T get the reference? :shock:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

I don't mind it. A FB group would be good for real-life meetups, things like that. :) Sort of a backup plan. But probably only the OTTers who wouldn't mind shedding anonymity would join.

For decree: ImageImageImageImageImage

Hmm, I'm still not too excited about it. I've made it into 2013 without a Facebook account, and I'd like to keep it that way.
For the mome:
ImageImage
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 am UTC

Really feeling bereft reading all the NP since the "end", so much so that I cannot yet bring myself to listen to yappo's three new ottifications.

But on the way home from work in my funk I put on Daft Punk and remembered that their Fragments of Time was a song that might be worth re-working. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bMERyIUWo Just don't have it in me tonight to tackle it. Seems so apt right now..." I keep playing back these moments of time..."

(sigh)

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am UTC

First(Time)post:
JBantha wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:

Wow... I was afraid that might happen to them. So, the black-out was actually night, once again?

Yes, I think so.

Hmmm, when I did "copy image url" I didn't get this url, I got time.png. I was worried that if I put that image in, it would change each time the comic frame updated. Do I have to do something different to get the right url, now that the auto updating is working differently?

I actually think It was many nights, not just one. Since the previous frame showed a not-so-changed flora.

Welcome to the thread, JBantha!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Gotta ONG when it's ONG time, even when it's fake.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Forgive the non-blitzer...but was there ever an OTTification of "The Call", by Regina Spektor. Maybe 75% of the lyrics require no modification at all.

And yet, I hesitate to suggest it. I can barely fight back the tears listening to that song just the way it is...

(No, it doesn't resonate with some life experience from my past or anything...at least not anything of which I'm aware. It's just...one of those songs for me, I guess.)

And if we were going to do a mass spamming to GLR, might I suggest a much simpler message.

"From the bottom of our hearts, thank you so much for making Time for us. It has meant a lot to us and will stay with us for years to come."

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Are you suggesting that there are actually people who DON'T get the reference? :shock:

Often. Especially younger people. It happens to be one of my all-time fav movies ever.

mscha wrote:For the mome:
ImageImage

! 1ish emote, mscha! Where was that during all the molpy molpy molpy molpy....

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Africa ONG yay! And look, Chronos is restarting.

Valarya wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I'll leave you with this in hopes it will distract you from posting:
Spoiler:

:mrgreen: Baby coma'd squirpies!! Night, HAL.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HAL's squirpies are much less terrifying than BlitzGirls. Those are the basement squirpies, so GET THEM BACK DOWN THERE! Eeeeeeee

Hey, you said to post a molpy army. Those squirpys mean business! :wink:

For decree:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 am UTC

No real ONG. Image
Not even an old one, this time, still the same hash as a newpix an hour ago.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Ah, ChronosDragon appears to be somewhat functional again!
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

We have a winner!

For decree:
Spoiler:

Yay!

Ahahaha! Squirpy swarm! Love the little pricklies too!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 am UTC

mscha wrote:No real ONG. Image
Not even an old one, this time, still the same hash as a newpix an hour ago.

Then I think it's fetching a random ONG from a set now.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:05 am UTC

capnbuckle wrote:And if we were going to do a mass spamming to GLR, might I suggest a much simpler message.

"From the bottom of our hearts, thank you so much for making Time for us. It has meant a lot to us and will stay with us for years to come."

This is lovely. I'd love to do this.... imagine if he woke up tomorrow and received an inbox of hundreds of this message.

For decree:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”