1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Still sittONG...

Quite a boring comic, I wonder if something will happen soon...

(Still ketching up, but is this what we're doing now?)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 am UTC

Sitting on a beach ONG
Spoiler:

One interesting thing is how much work GLR must have put into drawing the 40 and keeping them all unique between frames. That must have driven him crazy! Maybe making ending it an easier decision.

Seems you can still get Ninja'd after time ends!

And no mscha it seems it's just me playing. Trying to pretend it's not the end!
And I don't know if we can keep this up for the first 240 frames at this 30 outside minute rate!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:37 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Sitting on a beach ONG
Spoiler:

One interesting thing is how much work GLR must have put into drawing the 40 and keeping them all unique between frames. That must have driven him crazy! Maybe making ending it an easier decision.

And no mscha it seems it's just me playing. Trying to pretend it's not the end!
And I don't know if we can keep this up for the first 240 frames at this 30 outside minute rate!

WHy not just adapt newpixbot? Or create oldpixbot for the purpose?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:49 am UTC

libra wrote:This forum will likely stand as an unchallenged record holder for the rest of XKCD. 50,000 posts, and 1270+pages. It will take something bigger even than Time to beat this forum thread.

And something like that would have to be many years in the making, no doubt.

This indeed has been, is and ever will be the One True Thread.

There are other, longer threads on the forum(though, not many). Most of them are in FaiD.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

justjoinedtosayiloveyou

Postby justjoinedtosayiloveyou » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 am UTC

So I didn't think I'd post again after my initial de-lurk to say how much I loved the OTT, and even last night as I watched The End I didn't think I was going to say anything. I checked in this morning to make sure it really was The End, then I closed the tab and thought 'Well, that's it, I guess I'll have to find something else to do with myself' and yet I end up back again because I guess I just can't keep away. Weird how you guys all mean so much to me when I've never really spoken to you, but I've read and I've felt and I feel kind of lonely now that I can't check in on you guys anymore, there's nothing new for us to experience. I kind of wish I'd gotten more involved when it was still going on now. It feels like there's a hole now and I don't quite know what's going to fill it.

So, yeah, this place meant just as much to me as the OTC and I want to thank you all for that. I'd say 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened' but somehow that quote always makes me cry anyway...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:55 am UTC

justjoinedtosayiloveyou wrote:So I didn't think I'd post again after my initial de-lurk to say how much I loved the OTT, and even last night as I watched The End I didn't think I was going to say anything. I checked in this morning to make sure it really was The End, then I closed the tab and thought 'Well, that's it, I guess I'll have to find something else to do with myself' and yet I end up back again because I guess I just can't keep away. Weird how you guys all mean so much to me when I've never really spoken to you, but I've read and I've felt and I feel kind of lonely now that I can't check in on you guys anymore, there's nothing new for us to experience. I kind of wish I'd gotten more involved when it was still going on now. It feels like there's a hole now and I don't quite know what's going to fill it.

So, yeah, this place meant just as much to me as the OTC and I want to thank you all for that. I'd say 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened' but somehow that quote always makes me cry anyway...

Thanks for posting anyway! Who knows what's out there and what the future holds. It's hard to know what will become of this thread now. Oh and if you try to leave now you are going to be locked in the basement sorry.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:58 am UTC

Why the fuck are you all wearing parrots on your heads?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Because parrots are cool ONG

And Time for me to Molpy Down. And hopefully when I wake up it won't be ended anymore...
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 am UTC

Looks like the thread is getting calmer.... maybe it's time to work on meetup plans?
I know there's a dedicated xkcd meetups thread, but as this is more Time-related, I guess we can start discussing here?

I think Chateau d'If [or a convenient nearby place] would make a perfect location, at least for us Europeans (I don't know what proportion that represents, clearly less than half according to postrate/time of day). For the time... over a weekend? In september, when summer plans don't come in the way and there are less tourists there? Should we start a preliminary doodle about this :mrgreen: ?

Plans:
- eat [cup]cakes
- projection of the OTC (e.g. @1 frame/minute=> 5h)
- lots of other options, don't want to try and make an exhaustive list now...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Molpy up. Ok, I'm more calm now. Blindpost:

Also, this fits well, I think...

Spoiler:
xkcd-time-the-end.png
xkcd-time-the-end.png (19.16 KiB) Viewed 21276 times
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:18 am UTC

LordEd wrote:As my first post, how about a false hope prediction?
Spoiler:
EPILOGUE

Blindposting while ketchupping: Throwing first-post forward.

Welcome to the wake, LordEd...
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:21 am UTC

Molpyup!

It's good to see that all the OTTers are still around.

First things first:
Happy (yes, happy after all, there wouldn't be so many posts without the OTT, and that's something to celebrate!) 2100 posts, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

Happy 700 posts, yappobiscuits!
Spoiler:

lgw wrote:OK, my first Ottification, before I molpy down. Sting's Fields of Gold was just too much to face, so this is to the tune of the next Summoner's Tale: Heavy Cloud No Rain It fits better than I thought:
Spoiler:
Clicked on the OTT to catch up on the news
Need some sweet newpix to wash away my blues
Saw "The End" and thought: this must be wrong
But it's far past time, and no ONG

Back in Time to read the comic again
back before the fade (there were sandcastles then)
We were scared by the Fade but then came light
and that's what the start of not ending looks like

There were molpies and snakes and Lucky and stars
It's hard to believe we've all come this far
So I looked at the comic, and this must be wrong
It's far past time, and no ONG

Then Rosetta was warning that the sea it would rise
No you can't save the Forty, you can just say good bye
So to save their friends they ran and ran fast
And when it all seemed too late: LaPetite with a raft

So they floated and drifted, and met up with the rest
There's a new sand castle, but now for the test:
It still says the end, oh this must be wrong
Far past time, and no ONG

Far past time, and no ONG

The end is here and the newpix are gone
The thread is sad and it's time to move on
Every morning you'll hear us pray
If only it would ONG today

Cueball asked Megan if there'd be some way
She said she'd save her love for a later frame
So he waits with the otters, and we wait so long
Time goes on, but no ONG
neopifex wrote:The end of the OTC got me pretty bummed, so I decided to write an OTTification of The Doors' "Love Me Two Times" that tells the (very abridged) story of Megan and Cueball's journey. It's not perfect, but I figure it's close enough:

"Cuegan in Time", to the tune of "Love Me Two Times" by The Doors.
Original is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_1VK5Qsx4
Spoiler:
Build sandcastles, baby
No river today
Plant some flags now, girl
Mini tre-bu-chet

Sea is risin' girl
Unknown water source
Let's find out today
Hiking through time
Let's go this way

Molpies in Time
The big ol' sneak
Molpies in Time
Megan's knee got weak

Cueball helped his girl
Climb up straight to the peak
Our little sea
Is goin' away
Findin' out why
It's goin' away

What'd they say?!

[Beanieband solo]

Learned us the truth
Rosetta's map
Drowning Forty, maybe
Wary of that rap

I think it's time to RUN
Run down, cut through the map
Running through Time
Home's goin' away

Sea is rising fast
Get back home today
Sea is rising fast
This place goin' away

Our raftcastle's here
Build up a second
Now let's pole away
Floating through Time
We've lost our way

Find us a shore
New home today
Let's go explor-ing
Through that way

Very 4, both of you! :)

BlitzGirl wrote:The River is Small...
Spoiler:

7. Image

ucim wrote:I'll still be around.
<snip>
I also have unfinished works I hope to share in the near future.

I think we all will be around for some more time, if not for some more Time. And IIRC, the second act of the AotC has only just started... :D

Latent22 wrote:Sitting on a beach ONG

:D
btw, does newpixbot continue to check, just in case?

Pikrass wrote:I just had a thought.
These calm newpix feel like an artist leaving the stage after the concert, but with the lights still off. What if GLR is giving us an opportunity to call for an encore? Maybe he's just taking a rest, but if we impress him enough to molpy him up he will start Season 2 after a couple of dix? :D

Ok, I know, I'm still at stage 1. But let me dream a little, it's about that time I'm really supposed to be comaing and hallucinating.

Maybe I'm also still at stage 1, but I like that thought. I was thinking along the same lines. GLR has created his own universe here (although it was set in the Mediterranean Basin after all, and not in Randallverse), and there are too many promising questions that he might not use them later on.

Maybe not next mondix, not next wip, or next mip. But I hope that He might eventually return to Time.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:31 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:btw, does newpixbot continue to check, just in case?

I certainly hope so^^ Also, mscha, how often do you run the script looking for differences between downloaded and server versions of the frames?
I know GLR doesn't like to fix mustard more than necessary, but maybe now's the time when He will change several things throughout the frames, to polish things up as he sees fit... (btw, i didn't notice that frame 2466 had been fixed ^^)
Last edited by edfel on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
asmodai wrote:And, you know... the biggest question of all, at least for me:

Why was it called "Time"?
Was that a simple way of making sure people cottoned on to the fact that the frame would change?

I expected something different. Metaphor, theme, allusion... just.. not nothing.

I mean, it was a great ride. It really was. But I can't not pick this nit.

I can't disagree more.

I've read a lot of SF stories about the distant future of humanity, on the scale of millennia or more. It's actually not one of the most popular SF motifs, at least when not wrapped up in space opera ("... a legendary forgotten planet known as earth..."), but it's been done.

Sometimes it's a hero arising out of that future time who goes exploring in some forbidden zone, sometimes it's a lost time traveler, but it's almost always about discovering the future's past. Whether it's our great age of technological marvels now poignantly gone (John Cambell's classic [and vampire-free] Twilight), or how we screwed up so badly that some other species had to take over (Planet of the Apes, or just about anything by Sherri Tepper), or how the current events of the decade of the story's writing continue to be the primary force shaping the distant future (The Time Machine), or just how silly and warlike we were before the aliens found us (the back-story in lots of space opera), the important thing is... it's all about us! The year might be 227,652 AD "in the old human reckoning," but we still get to be the heroes, or at least the villains.

Well, here's the thing. Randall Munroe's Time doesn't fit that mold. It's not about us. It's about people in their own time.

We thought and sometimes wished it might be otherwise. For instance, many followers including me thought it would be cool if Megan and Cueball found the Clock of the Long Now. Because hey look, that's a thing happening in our own time. If the story became about how they found it and what effects finding it had on them, then it would be all about us after all.

Many others wanted to know (and perhaps still want to know) whether the inundation is "our" fault, a result of extrapolating present day problems (global warming) and technological hubris into our own near future, thus inadvertently damning (and damming) theirs. Because if it was, then it would be all about us after all.

Maybe some of the Beanies' knowledge or technology came from our time. Maybe not. Megan and Cueball and the Almost Forty don't know and, within the scope of this story, don't care. Maybe their folklore about castles is partly about our huge present-day cities, the two things getting conflated in the future kind of like the way we often jumble together different "ancient" architectures even though they're from millennia apart. Even if that's true, that's not what the story's about.

Why, then, put deep time (on the human scale anyhow) in the back-story? Because it's a story about time, and what time does is move on. For good or ill, we don't loom over the distant future the way we like to think we do. The continents grind together or spin apart, seas rise and fall, the earth wobbles on its axis, the stars drift out of their constellations and eventually die. And after all that, it's still now. There's a boy and girl on a beach and the time is now, the time is right now and only now, to build a castle.

That, I believe, is why it's called "Time."

Blindposting while ketchupping: Rule 110, that was beautiful and bears repeating.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:34 am UTC

edfel wrote:Looks like the thread is getting calmer.... maybe it's time to work on meetup plans?
I know there's a dedicated xkcd meetups thread, but as this is more Time-related, I guess we can start discussing here?

I think Chateau d'If [or a convenient nearby place] would make a perfect location, at least for us Europeans (I don't know what proportion that represents, clearly less than half according to postrate/time of day). For the time... over a weekend? In september, when summer plans don't come in the way and there are less tourists there? Should we start a preliminary doodle about this :mrgreen: ?

Plans:
- eat [cup]cakes
- projection of the OTC (e.g. @1 frame/minute=> 5h)
- lots of other options, don't want to try and make an exhaustive list now...

Just checked, Rosetta's castle is just a 10 hour drive for me. Count me in!
Go Minim go!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Blindposting while ketchupping: Rule 110, that was beautiful and bears repeating.

If you insist:

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 am UTC

xobmaps00052 wrote:Longtime lurker here, just gotta say, 7

Took things in stried at first, but reading the past 10 or so pages of fare wells and grief, starting to get misty eyed myself.

Thanks to all the OTT posters, you have meant as much to us lurkers as the OTC, maybe more.

Throwing another firstpost forward. Welcome to the wake, Xobmaps00052.

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am UTC

I've been around, commenting rarely, since the beginning of time. Sadly adding a comment here. (And was I confused when I got to this page in the forum and I saw images from the beginning of time....)

Looks like a new beginning.
We wait for it. It does not wait for us.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am UTC

So it wasn't a bad dream after all ... Image

⁴ly ottifications, DrSamCarter, lgw, neopifex (and any others I forgot to note)! Also thanks, y'all, for the non-ottified songs.
Also some ⁷some artwork in the past NPs. I forgot to note them all, but BlitzGirl, your “The sea is big” was especially beautiful.
By the way, the OTT can't end until we've ottified every single OtherComic. We've made a good start, there were a few yesterday/today, and many more during the course of Time; I'm guessing we're at 5-10% already.

Happy round number post, everyone who had one! Also congratulations to everyone else with an interesting post number, which, of course, means everyone.
Spoiler:

As for the OTC, as we already concluded before I molpied down, we're now getting old epilogue frames served hourly (or should I say oldpixly?).
There was some confusion about hashes, so I dived into my log files and figured it out:
Frame 3089, as we all know, was the frame with that horrible text on it that I can't bear repeating.
After that, we got five more newpix, frame 3090 through frame 3094. For convenience, let's call those frames A, B, C, D and E. (C is the one where we were teased with a possible molpy. It's still there, hasn't been demustarded.)
At the time we were expecting frame 3095, we got C instead.
A newpix hour oldpix later, the URL did not change, we were still looking at C. But pelrigg noted, 19 minutes later, that the URL had changed to D. I checked my logs, and indeed, that happened at about 8 minutes past ONG time.
Every oldpix after that, we got a new oldpix. The list up to now is: CDCBAECDAE.
Conclusion: The GLR or one of his minions set it up to show a random epilogue oldpix every hour. It wasn't initially smart enough to ensure that it'd always be a different one than the hour before, but that was soon fixed.
(So not even a loop, He can't even make the loopists (a tiny bit) happy...)

Oldpixbot, you say? Yes, I thought of that too, but I don't want to just set that up by myself. If we, as a group, decide we need a rerun of Time, I can set up a page that updates oldpixly, and an oldpixbot that posts the oldONG 10 minutes after oldONGtime if it hasn't been posted yet.

ETA:
Yes, newpixbot is still checking, and will be for the forseeable future. But I wouldn't count on any new frames.
I'm checking all frames for mustard fixes semi-regularly. (Have to run it overnight.) Will do so soon again. But I check recent days a bit more often, and there haven't been any mustard fixes for those.
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Re: The River is Small...

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:57 am UTC

edo wrote:Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either, but more than anything, I was trying to be helpful. There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want? They won't get the consolation we've been getting. No shoulder for them o cry on. Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking it was more. That this was more.

I won't promise that this is my last post, but it feels like it.

Correct. No one will like it. I get that you feel damaged by the ending, but that gives you no right to try to damage it for others. And the evidence is coming in that you have.

If you want to get respect, you have to show respect. At the current moment that is totally lacking.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

OOh, my! My girlfriend has been visiting me since Sunday, so I haven't found much Time to spend on the OTC or the OTT (but the Time with her has been well spent, of course!) Only now, after she has gone back home, I checked - and found Time had ended. So now I am almost doubly down. ;-(

I console myself with the thought, that now it will be manageable to ketchup on the OTT, and rewatch the whole of Time, with the frame rate set somewhere between 4 and 10 secs.

I have not been a frequent poster here, but I want to tell all you guys and gals who were/are, a big thank you for so many entertaining, amusing and interesting insights and ideas, I am sure I am not the only lurker who has enjoyed the OTT immensely. You are brilliant!

(edit:)
And a special thanks to Geekwagon - keeping up with Time would have been hard without you! I just noticed that clicking on Time at xkcd takes me to Geekwagon directly, don't know when that happened, but At Your Own Pace is such a great thing! Well done!

/Lasse
Last edited by lassehp on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

NOt-ONG
For the records...
18221034234d28af3ee888d6de232e80341848145dbe2cdb19d594df914508d2.png
ONG'ed at 8:00am eastern time July 27, 2013.
Whaddaloop

Edit: OIC mscha's post about the loop sequence. So the 8am was "D" and the sequence becomes CDCBAECDAED
Instead of letters I slightly prefer the least significant digit (in base ten) of mscha's numbering: 23210423043
Last edited by RudeDude on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

I think i know what part of the problem is...

We met Cueball and Megan on the beach and sat with them as they made sandcastles. We watched them begin to worry about the rising sea. We used our collective might and intellegence, and the power of the internet to help them figure out the problem. We were with them on the long journey of exploration and discovery. No clue was too small for us to toss back and forth to help them on their way.
The night we saw the stars, we knew the stars were a clock, a calendar, and a map. We instantly tried to help them by figuring out where and when they were. We came pretty close, too.
We were with them when they met the foreign speaking strangers -- from the first utterance, we tried to help them understand. As more language came in, we got closer to understanding -- not close enough, but closer. When they met someone who could (barely) communicate with them, we were right there, using all our powers to wrest out every single word, and part of a word, from the tangled fog of synonyms of the other's attempts at communication.

We knew that our attempts at help might not do them any good -- but we wanted to be ready, just in case. Just in case that moment arose that they could hear us, and we could help.

And then we Ran with them, consulting our carefully made maps, and the ones they had, working out the best way back to their people. Once they found their people, we were still with them, helping as best we could. Reasearching, investigating -- learing the science necessary to understand their situation -- because we were with them.

We were with them as the Ship was built, giving as much advice toward its construction as we could.

We were there with them as the Ship ran aground. We consulted our maps and our calendars to try to find their location -- to see if this was a safe place, to see if they had actually made it through the disaster, or if this was just a stop along the way....

As they went to explore the new place they had found, we went with them. For a few feet.

Suddenly, like a bouncer outside of a dance club, stood the words "THE END".
And we had the choice of going through the whole "But we're with them"/"You're not on the list" dance, we could beat our fists on the bouncer's chest, or just realize it would do no good. We had to stand there as our friends went to a new place that we did not know was safe. A place where we could no longer protect them. But I think it was the suddenness that hurt the worst.

nerdsniped wrote:Slight blindpost to say: let's let things cool off for a day or two before we start trying to communicate with GLR. Too easy for that sort of thing to go wrong.

Agreed, for the most part. Nothing to GLR except for tiny "thanks"es until at least Monday.
However you can say what you want to say to him here, now. It's a matter of context. Here, people are still in shock at the abrubt ending, and yes, hurting. If/when GLR reads things written here, he will know that, and it will be different from him opening his e-mail.
Last edited by NetWeasel on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

fireball

Postby fireball » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

Staring, mouth agape
Words "The End" bore into brain
This is my first post.

Been lurking the OTT a long time....never managed to blitz, but often doing ketchup for several pages at a time. Very much enjoyed reading all the commentary and analysis....what a great community you all have wrought.

I was just thinking....what if GLR designed the final panel to be similar to Externalities [link denied], where the water level was tied to the number of NP in the OTT. That way, as the posts continue to roll in, our raft would continue to rise?

Just a thought.

Oh, as I was registering this account, one of my captcha words was "benease"....and I was thinking "Beanese? Wow, that entered the mainstream quick..."

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

The end happened during my ketchup and I went to coma about one newpix to early to see it. Thought that there has something happened when I molpied up and had 25 newpages!
I didn't post quite as much as I wanted to and also did not have the time to work on some of my projects, but - as a thank you to all - I've updated my avatars treemap and will be publishing a new Constellation of Time hopefully very soon (current up to The End).
So, without further ado here are the avatars links: riverish und seaish.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Soup

Postby Soup » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

So, did the bobbing geraft/sea frames stop uploading 12 newpix ago, next ONG, as it appears from both mscha and AW viewers?
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Blindposting:
We were at a beautiful party in the countryside yesterday evening, and it way a starry night4, and it must have been around the time that I admired the stars7 yesternip and wondered about the fate of the 40 on the raft, that the ending frame appeared. It's sad and it's beautiful at the same time. Hope they have found safe ground.

So in accordance with my foreposters a tiny thanks to GLR8. We had a great Time.
It's cooler up here.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

My first Ottification: Please be gentle. I'm not as clever as you are. Mine's of a poem.

Morning Song From "Senlin" Conrad Aiken
(Ottification by Tatiana)
Spoiler:
IT is morning, Cuegan says, and in the morning
When the light drips through the tent flap like the dew,
I arise, I face the sunrise,
And do those things we never learned to do.
Stars in the purple dusk above the wowtrees 5
Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,
And I myself on swiftly tilting planet
Build castle of sand to reach the sky.

Vine-leaves stand in abandoned vineyards,
Dew-drops sing to the mountain stones, 10
The molpy chirps in the prettyneat tree
Repeating three clear tones.

It is morning. I stand by the river
And blink my eyes once more.
While waves far off in a pale rose twilight 15
Crash on a salt sand shore.
I stand and sip my dilgunnerang:
How blank and white my face!—
The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
And bathes in a flame of space. 20
There are castles hanging above the stars
And stars hung under a sea...
And a sun far off in a shell of silence
Dapples my world for me....

It is morning, Cuegan says, and in the morning 25
Should I not pause to remember the GLR?
Upright and firm I stand on a world unstable,
He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
I will dedicate this moment before the newpic
To him alone, for him I will start this day. 30
Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
I will think of you as I ascend the way.

Vine-leaves twine in abandoned vineyards,
The snail-track shines on the stones;
Dew-drops flash from the baobab tree 35
Repeating two clear tones.

It is morning, I awake from a bed of silence,
Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
The path is before me still as in the evening,
I am the same, and the same name still I keep. 40
The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion,
The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
In a whistling void the sea is rising higher,
Than it ever has before, and we don’t know why.

There are beanies surveying on far-off hills 45
Flashing their glinting panes,
And mountains rise in the rose-white dusk,
Their shoulders black with rains....
It is morning, I survive a meowlpy
And surprise my soul once more; 50
Lucky bounds from my thwapping stick,
And troubles us two no more....

...It is morning, Cuegan says, I descend from darkness
And depart on the winds of space our families to save;
A long-haired lady has told us our world is ending, 55
And our village is only days from a watery grave.
There are rumblings from far in the west, mist-clouds in heaven,
GLR among the stars; and I will go
Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
And humming a tune I know.... 60

Vine-leaves stand in abandoned vineyards,
Dew-drops sing to the castle stones,
The raptor chirps in the baobab tree
Repeating three clear tones.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Molpy up!

What do you mean it hasn't restarted yet?

Chirp.

I hope monday's othercomic will be RELATED. I guess we'll have to waitrunend for it.

While I will not be abandoning this thread, for those who use steam you can find some of us here
He/Him/His Image

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Ketchup during lunch at a restaurant, looking at actual Ketchup.

- great to hear about the wallpaper app running the OTC from the beginning. I was going to suggest just that.

- I thought about suggesting a new project:
The OTColored
where everyone can color a frame with artistic freedom. I imagine a system that allows people to reserve a frame, and to submit their interpretation to that frame in the same size as the OTC frames. This could create a WONDERFUL experience.
Anyone else thinks this mit be a good idea? Is there a chance we could color/recreate All the frames?

and then I saw this:
BlitzGirl wrote:COLORONG:

Wow.

- I have to say that I think a fb group would be nice, for those who wish to join it and for other purposes. The OTT is still here for OTC issues.
Last edited by Eliram on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
It's about time.

mikro2nd

An Idea and a Proposal

Postby mikro2nd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Something I would treasure would be an Annotated Book of Time.

I have in mind something like a book where each right-hand page shows just one frame of Time, with the left-hand page containing curated annotations taken from the OTT as they occurred when the facing frame was current - some edited version of what the OTTers were speculating, predicting, filking, punning,... what religions were arising and a-falling (or is that apalling?) right at that time.

Anyone up for helping with it? If we each do a couple of pages a day it shouldn't take more than... oh... 4 months?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

I still want the t-shirt. But now I don't know what it should say. Maybe I just need the hat!
We wait for it. It does not wait for us.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

In the meantime here is the plain text of the one true needle pulled thing (up to posting 50,440) sans quotes and some statistics to accompany it:
1,298 individual posters
2.335,064 (51,250 unique) words (the english translation of the bible consists of about 789.7 kilowords, 12,559 unique). To read it all you would need about 142 hours or 6 days, not counting time for adoring molpies, listening to filks or watching videos)
14 MB of uncompressed data
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

HES

Re: An Idea and a Proposal

Postby HES » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:Something I would treasure would be an Annotated Book of Time.

I have in mind something like a book where each right-hand page shows just one frame of Time, with the left-hand page containing curated annotations taken from the OTT as they occurred when the facing frame was current - some edited version of what the OTTers were speculating, predicting, filking, punning,... what religions were arising and a-falling (or is that apalling?) right at that time.

Anyone up for helping with it? If we each do a couple of pages a day it shouldn't take more than... oh... 4 months?

A very similar idea was proposed, if not started, a very, very long time ago (everything old is new again). Struggling to find it though.
He/Him/His Image

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

HES wrote:While I will not be abandoning this thread, for those who use steam you can find some of us here

It would appear that there are still unfinished projects - the OTVO, for one, many OTTifications, and many who have not yet reached us in the present (I just ketchupped 30 pages in disbelief and I'm still at the Denial stage). Hopefully we will (finally) be able to get the missing frame at the start; any we missed despite our best efforts.

Sadly though this thread will no-doubt begin to trail off as we seek new things; it is the way of Time to bring people together and let them drift apart. Time moves at its own pace, it does not care to wait for anyone, man or woman or child. Time is inexorable. Constant. We (OTTers) have had a chance to experience a small slice of Time together, and it is Time that can never be repeated, nor experienced the same way again. It was our Time.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

Sciscitor - CasCat will forever sit beneath a Baobab tree. I think I like that image...

Tatiana - beautiful poem. Thank you for posting this.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:My first Ottification: Please be gentle. I'm not as clever as you are. Mine's of a poem.

Morning Song From "Senlin" Conrad Aiken
(Ottification by Tatiana)

That was ⁷tiful! Image (And don't say that, it was plenty clever!)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:In the meantime here is the plain text of the one true needle pulled thing (up to posting 50,440) sans quotes and some statistics to accompany it:
1,298 individual posters
2.335,064 (51,250 unique) words (the english translation of the bible consists of about 789.7 kilowords, 12,559 unique). To read it all you would need about 142 hours or 6 days, not counting time for adoring molpies, listening to filks or watching videos)
14 MB of uncompressed data

Wow. Bigger than it looked.
Go Minim go!

Febrion

Re: The River is Small...

Postby Febrion » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
edo wrote:Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either, but more than anything, I was trying to be helpfmmul. There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want? They won't get the consolation we've been getting. No shoulder for them o cry on. Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking it was more. That this was more.

I won't promise that this is my last post, but it feels like it.

Correct. No one will like it. I get that you feel damaged by the ending, but that gives you no right to try to damage it for others. And the evidence is coming in that you have.

If you want to get respect, you have to show respect. At the current moment that is totally lacking.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where's all this hate coming from? Announcing the end hardly seems like a true spoiler,, just as saying "that movie is 1 hour, 42 minutes long", or "that book has 622 pages". .
To me, what is really "damaging" to the blitzers is pretending that nothing is wrong, and denying them the chance to share support for the end of Time.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Tatiana - beautiful poem. Thank you for posting this.

Thanks!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”