1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*gasps* Poor Angelastic! She doesn't know yet! :(

Poor Angelastic? Lucky her... I wish I didn't know yet...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

I hadn't thought about it till mscha posted this. . .but the tone of that parody is a lot different now.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:While ketchupping, I've seen plenty of newposters coming in with questions, and very, very rarely have I seen anyone direct them to the wiki- maybe only twice. Most people just answer their questions (often in a short and not entirely satisfactory way because they're frustrated, leading to more questions). The wiki isn't mentioned all that often, and if no-one's directing them there, we can't expect them to know about it.

Several people link to the wiki in their sigs, including Blitzgirl who is one of the most prolific posters. So I can't really credit that accusation that we don't mention the wiki enough. However, the wiki is indeed a wowterful place for all newbs and oldbs to get their every question answered.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
rONG for old Time's sake:
Spoiler:

Of course you'd post that one wouldn't you? You ol' Megball shipper, you.

But then, we never actually found out their relationship, did we. *tears* *sniffles* :cry: :? :cry:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Eliram wrote:
mscha wrote:Hmm, that's a hard question. (Not just hard to choose, but also to remember after all this Time. Image )
But I think it's my newpix/photo mashups. Mostly because it's stuff that is outside of my regular domain. (Writing scripts, newpixbot, newpix archives, etc., I do that in my sleep.)

These are simply amazing. May I add more of them to the OTColored page?

Feel free. But IMO, most of them don't really qualify, because they're not simply colorizations, but photo manips. The hallucination one is too, but at least that one looks like it was colored in.

Well, the idea of OTColored is not to make a color version of the same OTC but to create a collection of art pieces that are based on individual frames, and could POSSIBLY be shown in a sequence, but they don't have to exactly match the original frame, just the spirit of it.

With that in mind, I've created another one before I molpy-down. First encounter with the Beanies.

KaratekONG

Redundant:
Spoiler:
2655.png
It's about time.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
rONG for old Time's sake:

Spoiler:

Aww... Image
They never did get together in the end... But we can still dream.
mscha wrote:

Oh no! We'll have to prepare a big tub of ice cream for her when she reaches THAT moment...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jowo

Postby jowo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? <snip> It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

Reading more of the thread than I really had time for.... :wink:
It's about Time....

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
mscha wrote:

Oh no! We'll have to prepare a big tub of ice cream for her when she reaches THAT moment...

And it looks like ChronosDragon about ready to try to re-connect. When I went back to re-read Ebonite's "We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together", I noticed his sig was at "Reconnect In 03:39", so ready the transmitters and break out the flares and bottle rockets. We may have to bring the Protector in by hand.

Edit: Now at 03:36....

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*sadly watches mscha's Zorin_75's latest animation*
@mscha: I think your hallucinating berries frame definitely qualifies. :D

General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

Mine would probably be blitzing the whole thread. That was what made you all as big a part of my life as you are now.

IceIsNice wrote:Sad today. Went on a long hike. It was baggish.

Saw lots of molpies: beesnakes, fluttermolpies, chirpies, squirpies, bunnimolps, some pet wolpies, and plenty of other adventurers (more than 40). No meowlpies.

I wonder when I'll stop thinking of the local wildlife in terms of "molpy" or its derivatives.

I hope it's a long time from now.

I was riding a bike with a friend yesterday, and pointed out a molpy - then remembered I was Outside, and clarified that I meant "rabbit".
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

ChronosDragon Reconnect (attempt) In: 03:25.*

Angelastic, buffygirl, and oh, so, many others who are either away for the weekend or on a strict blitz diet.

All of these folks are going to need us around, just like we were around for each other during The Event.

*As of last check before posting. Oh, wait, *mustard*, I just realized Chronos is still 3 hours out. My bad..................

Edit to add:
One thing I did discover on my ketchup-blitz, was there were several posts other than mine with "OTT Roll Calls". So at least that info isn't lost in the sands of time.

I hope that there is at least one poster who went through The Event every time one of our "Lost Ones" finally stumbles on the truth. You know, to give hugs and a shoulder to cry on.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Somewhat seaish wall of replies, but hey, let's keep the OTT going!

yappobiscuits wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Thanks, ZoomanSP.
I want to congratulate you, too, on the line "I'd rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a leopard with a stick" which is probably my favorite line of the OTT.

Well, that one was actually my doing. Zooman's original line was "I'd rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a big moleopard" which didn't quite sound right to me, so I changed it (and therefore also had to change the following line to rhyme).

IIRC, I wrote that line when we had not yet agreed (ni ni ni...) to call the raptorcat "Lucky", so molpy+leopard was an option. I now like your line better than mine. Although I might have gone for keyboard... :wink:

Yeah, I originally tried it with "keyboard" but ended up preferring "leopard" in terms of how it rolls off the tounge. The main problem I had with the line was that it was missing a syllable (unless you pronounce "leopard" as "lee-oh-pard" which just sounds silly)

Ah, ok, I see. My German mispronunciation kicked in there - I had leopard with three syllables.

BlitzGirl wrote:
SBN wrote: Oh! Posttemporal Pope. Well, lets see... Bring me visual OTTifications .... please.

Very well, but you only get one per papacy:
Spoiler:

Sciscitor wrote:
The Constellation of Time 4

Spoiler:
Bigger (101 Megapixel), better (interactive, searchable, clickable, linked) and more.
Just give it some time to load, depending on your connection. This thing is huge (twss).

7,3!

Zorin_75 wrote:Here's the wordle version: :)
Spoiler:

4! But now I see we did it all wrong: BlitzGirl is Megan, not LaPetite; it's page molpy, not page pope; and instead of GLR, it's Great Cueball... :P

mscha wrote:One unanswered question to strike off our list...
Spoiler:

4! Oh, and very 4 coloured frames, everyone!

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of?

I think I'm most proud of my ottification "Every Newframe's Awefulsome", and maybe even more that yappobiscuits recorded it. Btw, thanks for your kind words, lmjb1964!
And IIRC, I coined the term "the Forty" (if I'm wrong here, sorry), and I'm also happy that it stuck (although there were only 39 of them at the {CENSORED}).

ucim wrote:For me, I guess it's Acts of the Clerics. It started out as a pompous way to commemorate BlitzGirl, but grew into something else. It's also been a lot of fun to write, and it's not over yet. :)

Yay! *waits for it*

HES wrote:I would answer this, but I'm busy making a better one...

Yay! *waits some more*

ETA:
Valarya wrote:MOLPY UP!!
Spoiler:
Molpydown .
Spoiler:
Photographed by me in Costa Rica, at ONG time of frame 309.
Redundant molpy is redundant:
Spoiler:
slothmolpy.JPG
slothmolpy.JPG (129.79 KiB) Viewed 11066 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eliram

Re: XKCD 450

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:One unanswered question to strike off our list...

I added a list of unanswered and open questions to the Wiki. Perhaps one day GLR will answer them.
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Open_Questions
It's about time.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:00 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
SBN wrote: Oh! Posttemporal Pope. Well, lets see... Bring me visual OTTifications .... please.

Very well, but you only get one per papacy:
Spoiler:

Missed it the first time, 'twasn't my decree, but Swein's:
Swein wrote:[edit] Oh! Posttemporal Pope. Well, lets see... Bring me visual OTTifications .... please.

I never had the cleverness to come up with a decree, and the ones I was inclined to do were usually while I was a-coma. Generally enjoyed the responses though, and it does help find the firstposts. At the moment though, I'm having a hard time looking for them. I don't want to have to re-read the sadness just yet... I do hope those who delurked will re-post if they don't get thrown forward. (And, if you haven't delurked yet, why not?)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 am UTC

I just watched a quick run-through of the OTC, and something struck me about Lucky's "attack" of Cuegan. Right before Lucky came, Cueball had turned over a bucket. Maybe the people who had abandoned that house had formerly kept Lucky as a pet, and so Lucky thought Cueball had some food for him, maybe. The bucket could have been his normal food bowl, and he was probably extra hungry since his humans abandoned him. Then Lucky assumed the food was in Cueball's bag because his prior humans may have brought bags of food out of the house when they fed him.

So this explains why Lucky didn't scratch Cueball, but only his bag. Also it explains why Lucky's cat body-language (the way his tail is held, etc.) looks like a meowlpy excited to see a friend, or happy because he's about to be fed, and not at all like a meowlpy attacking prey. Cause face it, if Lucky had wanted to eat Cueball, he would have gone for the throat and ignored the bag altogether.

I think that reading accounts for all the facts much better than our previous reading of that situation. But it makes me extra sad for Lucky, though. I hope he makes it safely out of the flood basin and finds some new humans to feed him and love him. How cruel that his hopes for new humans were violently dashed by the actions of the frightened Cuegan.
Last edited by Tatiana on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Angelastic, when you get there, you'll be happy to know that I found your hat! It seems to have fun in its new life! :)
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:21 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I feel awful for all those who aren't even online right now (yappobuiscuits etc) who are going to log on and just see that it ENDED? Why oh why GLR??? You could have kept it going for at least a year!

Yeah, and it ended two dips ago, the only time I didn't ketchup every day?!

Fine then, I'm still blindposting, but if someone has already posted this exact ottification, I'll be very surprised, and if someone has posted another ottification of the same song, I'll be very happy. I started it about a mip and a wip ago, reconstructed it from fragmented notes and finished it hurriedly just now.

When We Go
an ottification of When You Go by Jonathan Coulton

Only a newpix ago we had nothing but Time
Wait the first part of forever one frame at a time
Only a dream my friends,
Thinking Time never ends
Tearing off pieces of our lives
Waiting for Time to drive us.

Spoiler:
Fold our hearts up small
Or break them into pieces
Find somewhere and keep them there
Take them when you go.

There in the frame were decay of the castles and byes
We saw this coming but still we are caught by surprise
All of this Time we knew
Time would conclude or loop
That doesn't mean that it's OK
That doesn't mean we're ready

Fold our thread up small
And wiki it to pieces
Data fit and mirror it
Take it when we go

Some things you always remember, some things you forget
Tide razed Time's castles but we've got neat bugs to find yet
Worlds Randall can not reveal
Where we can make it real
No need to wait for One True Call:
Let's go Outside, explore now.

Fold their world up small
And love the thread to pieces,
Find somewhere and keep it there,
Take it when we go.
Last edited by Angelastic on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
taixzo wrote:I feel awful for all those who aren't even online right now (yappobuiscuits etc) who are going to log on and just see that it ENDED? Why oh why GLR??? You could have kept it going for at least a year!

Fine then, I'm still blindposting, but if someone has already posted this exact ottification, I'll be very surprised, and if someone has posted another ottification of the same song, I'll be very happy. I started it about a mip and a wip ago, reconstructed it from fragmented notes and finished it hurriedly just now.

When We Go

Only a dream my friends,
Thinking Time never ends

Spoiler:
Fold our hearts up small
Take it when you go.

All of this Time we knew

Fold our thread up small
And wiki it to pieces
Data fit and mirror it
Take it when we go

Take it when we go.

Awesomeful OTTification, Angelastic!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:33 am UTC

ETA: wowterful ottification, Angelastic! Image Hope to see you in the Present with us soon.

SBN wrote:Missed it the first time, 'twasn't my decree, but Swein's:
Swein wrote:[edit] Oh! Posttemporal Pope. Well, lets see... Bring me visual OTTifications .... please.

Well chirp, I'm mustarding up all my attributions today, looks like. The End of Time has thrown me off-kilter!

mscha wrote:

Ah yes, the days of innocence...
Time for an ottification: "The End of the Innocence," by Don Henley and Bruce Hornsby. I chose to ottify that version, but couldn't find any good youtube clips of it, so I linked to another, gentler version. It's slightly different, so the lyrics don't match as well, but the video is good. If you're singing along, it's best to do so to the original song.

The End of the OTC
To the tune of The End of the Innocence
Spoiler:
Remember when we got the ONG
And watched the newpix count grow high
Didn't have a care in the thread
With Megan and Cueball walking by
But quickly the new raftcastle sails
And we've been caught up in these beesnake trails
The OTTers dwell on small details
And "The End" made us cry

Oh how I miss that place where we could go
Ev'ry now and then
Sit and watch our Cuegan roam
And the molpies play in the glens
You can listen for that ONGful sound
Check that last odd molpish mound there
Watch the raft bob on the sea
But this is the end
This is The End of the OTC

We used to say, oh how Time flies
But now The End has clipped its wings
We post our posts and share our words
While avoiding the hurt of The End's slapping sting
Adrift just like the sea-borne pail
How we've been caught up in these beesnake trails
The OTTers keen for more details
Since "The End" made us cry

Can we go again?
You listen for that ONGful sound
But this is the end

Who knows how long this will last
This thread has come so far, so fast
"Wait for it," in this we trust
That Timewaiter in each of us
We need to remember this
Before we forget what we've missed
A song, a post, a pic, a book
You cannot say goodbye

But this is the end
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC

poke poke!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:45 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:poke poke!

Is that a pricklymolp in your pocket, or are you just happy to see us?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
SBN wrote:Missed it the first time, 'twasn't my decree, but Swein's:

Well chirp, I'm mustarding up all my attributions today, looks like. The End of Time has thrown me off-kilter!

mscha wrote:

Ah yes, the days of innocence...
Time for an ottification: "The End of the Innocence," by Don Henley and Bruce Hornsby. I chose to ottify that version, but couldn't find any good youtube clips of it, so I linked to another, gentler version. It's slightly different, so the lyrics don't match as well, but the video is good. If you're singing along, it's best to do so to the original song.

The End of the OTC
Spoiler:

Ev'ry now and then
But this is the end

Can we go again?
But this is the end

We need to remember this
You cannot say goodbye

But this is the end

@ BlitzGirl: A great "End of Time"* ottification. Yes, time for more tears.
@ Angelastic: And your ottifcation was wonderful as well. I wish I had more words of praise to use.

I suppose one of someday various people will actually start recording all of these ottifications. Put out a collection somehow. "Songs to Sing At Meet-ups".

*There, I said it "End Of Time", I don't know if it'll make it any more real or not.....

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:

When We Go
Spoiler:
Only a dream my friends,
Thinking Time never ends

Fold our hearts up small
Take it when you go.

All of this Time we knew

Fold our thread up small
And wiki it to pieces
Data fit and mirror it
Take it when we go

Take it when we go.

Very ⁴, Angelastic. (Now I'm Imageing again...)
And don't worry, we'll still be here for you once you reach the present. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:59 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:*There, I said it "End Of Time", I don't know if it'll make it any more real or not.....

Redundant:
Spoiler:

BuellerItsOver.png
BuellerItsOver.png (111.66 KiB) Viewed 10913 times

Keywords: BGUM Ferris Bueller it's over go home end of time ended ending
redundant70.png
redundant70.png (265.41 KiB) Viewed 10913 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Still blindposting (though I may as well schizo-blitz a little.) Here's an ottification I just wrote for any people who are mad at GLR about the ending and/or want to petition for a sequel.

The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch (Yes, unlike the original, I'm using sentence capitalisation because that's what I was taught to do for titles which are complete sentences)
An ottification of George R.R. Martin is Not Your Bitch by John Anealio

I got an e-mail from a reader
who said he loved an artist
who wrote comics like the sea1

He asked me if I thought the artist
should feel he should restart this
a sequel just for me

and this is what I said:
Spoiler:
The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch
no matter how much you gripe
so you might as well go get a life

I said: If you think that Time was entertaining
it's best to stop complaining
writers just aren't machines

Although he once worked building robots
they weren't for comic slow-plots
so find something else to read

Check out the book wiki

so stop waiting and go get a life
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The End of the OTC
Spoiler:

Ev'ry now and then
But this is the end

Can we go again?
But this is the end

We need to remember this
You cannot say goodbye

But this is the end

⁷terful, BlitzGirl! (And I'm crying again...)

I just realized that I no longer automatically “listen for that ONGful sound” when the newpix strikes. Not sure I'm happy about that...

Edited to fix mismatched tags
Last edited by mscha on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:04 am UTC

rONGful sound:

Another neat ottification, Angelastic; you're just awesomeful todip!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch
Spoiler:

a sequel just for me

and this is what I said:

Check out the book wiki

Another ⁴ one, Angelastic!
(But I don't think BlitzGirl should let him go. How's it going in the basement, BlitzGirl? We haven't seen any new frames yet, what's up with that? I hope you're not keeping them to yourself...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch

Another ⁴ one, Angelastic!
(But I don't think BlitzGirl should let him go. How's it going in the basement, BlitzGirl? We haven't seen any new frames yet, what's up with that? I hope you're not keeping them to yourself...)

For some reason GLR isn't making any. It might have something to do with the fact that he's roped up in a basement. But I'm not sure.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:11 am UTC

Ketchup time! OK, on the one hand, I am SO happy to see the OTT moving along. On the other, I did not expect to actually have to ketchup that much :lol:

I caved in and started an OTT FB account. I am generally not one for social media. I am not that social, truth be told. Perhaps that is my proudest contribution to the OTT (if you can call showing up a contribution). I posted a few OTTifications, something I would not normally be inclined to do. But the community here, and all its creativity, was quite inspiring. I do want to write and if I am not willing to put my stuff out there, then what is the point? I hope by staying in contact with other members of this crazy tribe, that I will continue to be inspired to share with you all. I think I may even sign up for Twitter....dear Randall, what have I become!? :shock:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

LittleBunnyFuFu

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:13 am UTC

This is probably redundant with what most others have said but I'm saying it anyways:

1. Thanks to Randall for all the fun. This has been quite the interesting and unique experience. Not just the OTC but the OTT that owes it's genesis to it. A true one of it's kind.

2. Thanks to all the OTT regulars. Without you guys and gals we lurkers wouldn't have had anything to lurk. Plus trying to decode Rosetta's English would have been all but impossible with out you dedicated bunch. You have been the back bone of our community, we silent types love you as much as any other.

3.And to all the current blitzers: Hey, no need to give up just because you know the ending. Ever watch a movie even though you know the ending? You can do it!!!

Amusing anecdote: I was at the store with my 4-year old earlier today (about 24 heretic hrs post ending). He wanted to ride the penny horse for fun. So we walked up and it had an "Out of Order" sign on it, but (I kid you not) I swore it read "Out of OTTer" at first. This whole thing has totally gotten into my head. And it has totally been worth it.
I came
I saw
I napped

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Well, I just had two more "heavy heart" moments.

I've been talking all dip about how my Beanie manips are in the wiki as ID's for (at least) the original three Beanies. It looks like someone, rather than adding to what was all ready there, chose to re-write that section completely and they deleted that pic and every thing related to it. *sigh* I know I could go in and re-add that information (maybe even find the original, which I don't how to do), but it wouldn't be the same and I don't want to start an edit war over there just so my image is posted. *sigh* At least, I remember that it was there for a little while. And my original post can still be found. *sigh*

And the other "heavy heart" moment is here at home. I have this notepad with all my "Time" download info in it and I always pre-made the list of frame numbers by "century" (made it easier to save the hash to the right spot). I was up to frame 3199 before yesterdip and today I deleted that pre-made list from 3101 to 3199 'cause I just won't need them anymore. (Yeah, I re-numbered the last 5 to match mscha's random repeat list from earlier, so I can have a longer epilogue when I run the story for myself or others.) Again *sigh* Just another nail in the coffin for me regarding the end of The OTC. *sigh*

But at least there's the OTT. Now if I can just figure out how to keep contributing, without doing a whole bunch of "Me, Too" posts.

edit
And I guess eventually I might have to take down my ChronosDragon ONG clock from my desktop. But not today, NOT TODAY!!!!!
@BltzGirl: I saw your "You still here" pic......
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:When We Go
Spoiler:
Only a dream my friends,
Thinking Time never ends

Fold our hearts up small
Take it when you go.

All of this Time we knew

Fold our thread up small
And wiki it to pieces
Data fit and mirror it
Take it when we go

Take it when we go.

BlitzGirl wrote:The End of the OTC
Spoiler:

Ev'ry now and then
But this is the end

Can we go again?
But this is the end

We need to remember this
You cannot say goodbye

But this is the end

Both beautiful and wowterful! Image
Angelastic wrote:The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch (Yes, unlike the original, I'm using sentence capitalisation because that's what I was taught to do for titles which are complete sentences)
Spoiler:

a sequel just for me

and this is what I said:

Check out the book wiki

...And then that put a massive smile on my face. Brilliant! :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Still blindposting (though I may as well schizo-blitz a little.) Here's an ottification I just wrote for any people who are mad at GLR about the ending and/or want to petition for a sequel.

The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch (Yes, unlike the original, I'm using sentence capitalisation because that's what I was taught to do for titles which are complete sentences)

a sequel just for me

and this is what I said:
Spoiler:

Check out the book wiki

Way to go Angelastic. :) :) Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:35 am UTC

I REALLY want to make a shirt like this! I would gladly wear this work :D

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Molpy Up polo.png

ETA: @Pelrigg I will be leaving my ChronosDragon clock up. I like the way it looks. Very much like keeping an old clock on the mantle piece, for show. By the way, is he still rebooting?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:38 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Well, I just had two more "heavy heart" moments.

I've been talking all dip about how my Beanie manips are in the wiki as ID's for (at least) the original three Beanies. It looks like someone, rather than adding to what was all ready there, chose to re-write that section completely and they deleted that pic and every thing related to it. *sigh* I know I could go in and re-add that information (maybe even find the original, which I don't how to do), but it wouldn't be the same and I don't want to start an edit war over there just so my image is posted. *sigh* At least, I remember that it was there for a little while. And my original post can still be found. *sigh*

Before the OTT I'd never done any wiki editing at all, and I've still only done a tiny bit. I am pretty sure I didn't mustard up what you did, but I have very much learned that wiki editing is fraught with peril. I messed up what I was doing a few times, and nearly messed up other people's changes when I tried to add to it. I don't know if that's what happened, but I could easily see that someone could think they were adding and really be replacing or some such. I have mixed opinions here, I deliberately chose not to sign my edits, because I didn't want them to be "mine" I wanted them to be "ours." But I found myself feeling protective toward what I have done. So, I get you being heavy hearted, and I get you not wanting an edit war, but I do hope you can put your manips back in, because they were good and useful and inspirational. I don't really know enough about Wiki editing, but I feel like there should be some "hey, is this a good idea?" step before significantly changing what's there already. I'm accepting hints and tips for wiki editing, and also, if you know of book mentions and don't want to add them yourself, PM me a link or a hint at what to search for.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Thanks for the ride, all.
Still hope for a meet at the Château d'If as it's not too far.

How about this one?

Molpy down.
Spoiler:
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Latent22 wrote:I had another crazy idea last night. Here it is in all it's crazy glory:
Spoiler:
Step1: Create a web page with a file submit box that accepts .png files or .zip files (that will have a set of .png files in them hoepfully) and rejects all other file types. It just dumps them into a hidden folder that no one but a few admins can access. Upload is anonymous as it dosen't ask for uploaders name.
Step2: People make alternate stories in OTC form as a batch of frames that show something we missed in the OTC. They are in the same size and style as the OTC and they have a new name and sequence numbers starting from 1 in their file names like: spikey0001.png, spikey0002.png ... spikey0024.png. These are then ziped up and uploaded or uploaded one at a time.
Step3: An Admin checks the upload folder (which may be synced to a non public but shared dropbox folder) and without looking at to much detail of the png's make sure they are ok and in the right naming format and rename them if not and move them into a release queue folder. This folder would have subfolders for each set of frames with folder names to set the release order.
Step4: A website has a 1 hourly task that takes the next file in the release queue folder and moves it into the Released folder and displays it for an hour. Then next hour it gets the next one from the queue and repeats. If the queue is empty it displays nothing until it gets more content.
Step5: People can ONG the hourly image if there is one that hour and then comment on it and speculate on what will come next. compare it to previous frames for hidden molpyies. Try to guess who might have drawen it etc.
Step6: When a sequence finishes like we get to the end of spikey24.png someone else can carry on the story with skikey0024 - 0032 if they wanted or it could be the original artist. Or they can create a new side story of something else.

The cool thing about this is the author of the images are never known so its kind of like they just appear by magic. Maybe even GLR could have added them as we don't know who did right ;)

The stories can be set at any time or place in the OTC world. Could tell of what happened during the OTC we didn't get to see or before or after the OTC. What happened to the Molpies. What did LaPetite do. Also could be set 10 years later showing a grown up LaPetite showing baby Megball's how to build castles. Anything you guys can imagine really. Could even continue the story directly after the ending. Each story has a name at the start to identify it and so we know when the ONG has jumped to a new story because the last story ran out of ONG's for now.

Also would make a very simple viewer for the already released OTC stories folder. This could just be a folder listing at first but then a full next/previous viewer.

I've designed it so it is crazy simple to setup and maintain and only need 1-3 admins behind the scene moving the files into place a few times a day to keep it going.

That is my crazy idea anyway.

I like it. Could even do it.
But how do we (viewers) distinguish between the different timelines?

Well with my plan they would be real easy to identify because they would have different file names per story and they won't be secret hashes like the real OTC frames.

ZoomanSP wrote:OTVO project
Here is my recording for the dialogue lines 4 and 6 in frame 3058. I hope you'll like it.

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:OTVO

Here is my go for the Voice of Buzzcut for frames 3019, 3020 and 3056.

Thanks guys for the voice overs :) Will combine them in when I get a chance.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:42 am UTC

SBN wrote:

Before the OTT I'd never done any wiki editing at all, and I've still only done a tiny bit. I am pretty sure I didn't mustard up what you did, but I have very much learned that wiki editing is fraught with peril. I messed up what I was doing a few times, and nearly messed up other people's changes when I tried to add to it. I don't know if that's what happened, but I could easily see that someone could think they were adding and really be replacing or some such. I have mixed opinions here, I deliberately chose not to sign my edits, because I didn't want them to be "mine" I wanted them to be "ours." But I found myself feeling protective toward what I have done. So, I get you being heavy hearted, and I get you not wanting an edit war, but I do hope you can put your manips back in, because they were good and useful and inspirational. I don't really know enough about Wiki editing, but I feel like there should be some "hey, is this a good idea?" step before significantly changing what's there already. I'm accepting hints and tips for wiki editing, and also, if you know of book mentions and don't want to add them yourself, PM me a link or a hint at what to search for.

Yikes, I hadn't seen all the changes to that page. Most of them are good, but I re-added the picture, which I think is a good header for the article, and added some information from past versions which had been cut out in the latest edits. I do wish that people would avoid adding complex code to our wiki when possible, because the visual editor is an extremely useful tool for those of us without much wiki experience.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am UTC

SBN wrote:

I have been incredibly reluctant to add to the wiki for fear of screwing something up. I always felt that I would leave such things to the "professionals".

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am UTC

mscha wrote:

I just read the latest NP (though I haven't read the ones between yet) and I am saddened that you wished to sic Lucky on me just because you envied my innocence. :P

(okay, now molpy down.)
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”