1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:Angelastic, when you get there, you'll be happy to know that I found your hat! It seems to have fun in its new life! :)

I hit "youtube mix" after watching that. I'm not sure if this is a brilliant idea, or a really bad one, but right now the soundtrack to my internet is pretty awesome.

Post-present papal preposition: Find other OTTer's hat's in the outside, and bring them back where they belong.
He/Him/His Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Blindpost:

I may have been somewhat affected by alcohol consumption last night (i.e. 24 newpix ago). I may have posted things that shouldn't be posted, and I may have offended some people. I am sorry about that. I apologize to you all, and I'd also like to ask you something. Please, do not quote or link my "drunk"-posts. If a post offended you, do send me a PM. Thank you, that is all. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:53 am UTC

A quick note that the OTC is still randomly showing one “epilogue” frame per hour. The sequence, up to now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA

And with that, molpy down.
I'm happy that the OTT is still alive – perhaps more alive than it has ever been on a Saturday?
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:54 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
SBN wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Well, I just had two more "heavy heart" moments.

I've been talking all dip about how my Beanie manips are in the wiki as ID's for (at least) the original three Beanies. It looks like someone, rather than adding to what was all ready there, chose to re-write that section completely and they deleted that pic and every thing related to it. *sigh* I know I could go in and re-add that information (maybe even find the original, which I don't how to do), but it wouldn't be the same and I don't want to start an edit war over there just so my image is posted. *sigh* At least, I remember that it was there for a little while. And my original post can still be found. *sigh*

Before the OTT I'd never done any wiki editing at all, and I've still only done a tiny bit. I am pretty sure I didn't mustard up what you did, but I have very much learned that wiki editing is fraught with peril. I messed up what I was doing a few times, and nearly messed up other people's changes when I tried to add to it. I don't know if that's what happened, but I could easily see that someone could think they were adding and really be replacing or some such. I have mixed opinions here, I deliberately chose not to sign my edits, because I didn't want them to be "mine" I wanted them to be "ours." But I found myself feeling protective toward what I have done. So, I get you being heavy hearted, and I get you not wanting an edit war, but I do hope you can put your manips back in, because they were good and useful and inspirational. I don't really know enough about Wiki editing, but I feel like there should be some "hey, is this a good idea?" step before significantly changing what's there already. I'm accepting hints and tips for wiki editing, and also, if you know of book mentions and don't want to add them yourself, PM me a link or a hint at what to search for.

Yikes, I hadn't seen all the changes to that page. Most of them are good, but I re-added the picture, which I think is a good header for the article, and added some information from past versions which had been cut out in the latest edits. I do wish that people would avoid adding complex code to our wiki when possible, because the visual editor is an extremely useful tool for those of us without much wiki experience.

Ok, so tell the rookie. What do you consider complex code? Tell me about this visual editor... I haven't found much I consider useful for editing the wiki. When I started the book list I put it into a spreadsheet, and assumed I could just upload it into a table and poof. I quickly found out how wrong I was.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:54 am UTC

SBN wrote:

I've been talking all dip about how my Beanie manips are in the wiki as ID's for (at least) the original three Beanies. It looks like someone, rather than adding to what was all ready there, chose to re-write that section completely and they deleted that pic and every thing related to it. *sigh* I know I could go in and re-add that information (maybe even find the original, which I don't how to do), but it wouldn't be the same and I don't want to start an edit war over there just so my image is posted. *sigh* At least, I remember that it was there for a little while. And my original post can still be found. *sigh*

Before the OTT I'd never done any wiki editing at all, and I've still only done a tiny bit. I am pretty sure I didn't mustard up what you did, but I have very much learned that wiki editing is fraught with peril. I messed up what I was doing a few times, and nearly messed up other people's changes when I tried to add to it. I don't know if that's what happened, but I could easily see that someone could think they were adding and really be replacing or some such. I have mixed opinions here, I deliberately chose not to sign my edits, because I didn't want them to be "mine" I wanted them to be "ours." But I found myself feeling protective toward what I have done. So, I get you being heavy hearted, and I get you not wanting an edit war, but I do hope you can put your manips back in, because they were good and useful and inspirational. I don't really know enough about Wiki editing, but I feel like there should be some "hey, is this a good idea?" step before significantly changing what's there already. I'm accepting hints and tips for wiki editing, and also, if you know of book mentions and don't want to add them yourself, PM me a link or a hint at what to search for.

I guess the biggest thing about what you said, is since I didn't write the original article, all I would want to do is restore what was there and keep the new portions. I really don't know how to go about doing that. And I'm not sure if I want to do something that "tricky" as my first attempt at wiki-ing. And I'm not sure how long ago it happened so I not sure if it would be in the history still. However, thanks for letting me know you found them helpful in general. Maybe the person who posted the original article will have a better idea of how to do that restore. Like I said, at least the originals are on the OTT and the very originals are on my computer.
You know, I was thinking about doing a similar close-up colored ID tag thing for each of the Beanies Big Hat, the kids, the female student, the teacher and student on the wall, and Rosetta; just in case we found our way back to the castle. But now that it's over I don't know if it's needed. What do think, should I do it anyway, just for the fun of it? And post it (at least here)?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:58 am UTC

3089, The End of Time, is abc in base 17. Abc is (are) the first three letters of our alphabet. The Beanies "alphabet" doesn't contain the letters a, b or c, but does contain at least 17 symbols. Symbol is a homnonym of the word cymbal, which is a percussion instrument which makes a loud brassy sound. Cueball made a loud sound when he saw the molecat attacking. Megan, on the other hand... Wait...where was I going with this? Geez, I don't know, I'm just not thinking straight any more. The end of time has thrown me all off kilter. I need to rest...
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 am UTC

BlindPosting (only 4NPs behind, for those in the present):

I'd like it to be known that my sig has intentionally remained constant (thanks in part, of course, to HES), and that I hereby consider myself to be one of the Hopefuls (or is it Hopefools?).

We seem to have unanimously agreed that although Time may have ended (although I would contend, "so far"), the Life, Spirit and the OTT have not. Therefore, I put myself in the, perhaps unpopular, category of the Denialists. I'm happy with this label, and will continue to advocate its position within the OTT as long as The Supporters and I are in existence.

Thus begins TimeAnew (to wait for it...)

ETA only to briefly describe the difficulty in posting the above. Browser after browser would only result in a non-post and repetitious login pages. Done. Por fin. [/exhale]
Last edited by MajorDouble7 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Davidy wrote:3089, The End of Time, is abc in base 17. Abc is (are) the first three letters of our alphabet. The Beanies "alphabet" doesn't contain the letters a, b or c, but does contain at least 17 symbols. Symbol is a homnonym of the word cymbal, which is a percussion instrument which makes a loud brassy sound. Cueball made a loud sound when he saw the molecat attacking. Megan, on the other hand... Wait...where was I going with this? Geez, I don't know, I'm just not thinking straight any more. The end of time has thrown me all off kilter. I need to rest...

I was with you until the word "end"...
He/Him/His Image

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:03 am UTC

(retro) SaddenONG

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:10 am UTC

No worries, BytEfLUSh, I don't think you pulled an outright buffygirl at any point. :wink:
(I miss buffygirl and her MWAHs!)

SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:

Yikes, I hadn't seen all the changes to that page. Most of them are good, but I re-added the picture, which I think is a good header for the article, and added some information from past versions which had been cut out in the latest edits. I do wish that people would avoid adding complex code to our wiki when possible, because the visual editor is an extremely useful tool for those of us without much wiki experience.

Ok, so tell the rookie. What do you consider complex code? Tell me about this visual editor... I haven't found much I consider useful for editing the wiki. When I started the book list I put it into a spreadsheet, and assumed I could just upload it into a table and poof. I quickly found out how wrong I was.

I'm probably not the one to ask, as I'm very much a wiki rookie myself (the OTW is the first wiki I've actually added to). I view the wiki using the "Wikia" layout, which is the default (you can choose between Wikia and MonoBook in your preferences). The Wikia layout has a visual editor; as far as I know the MonoBook does not (maybe it just hides it very well). On most articles, whenever you hit Edit on any page and have the Wikia layout enabled, the visual editor opens automatically. Instead of showing the raw wiki code (or source code), it basically shows a preview-version of the article, complete with pictures, bolding/italics, links, all that good stuff. You can switch between "Visual" and "Source" mode using the tabs on the upper right of the editor. However, if someone adds complex code to the page (I'm not exactly sure what this is, or where the line is for the editor), visual mode is disabled and source mode becomes the only way to edit the article. The Beanie People article is now one of these. It was kind of a pain for a no-cluegan like me to edit it, because I don't understand wiki-ish and had to keep checking the preview, when normally I would see what was happening more clearly with the visual editor.

So anyway, that's why I think we should use the KISS principle when it comes to the wiki code, because then more people might find it easier to edit.

For papal decree, I found a beret resembling our pope's:
Spoiler:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:I'd like it to be known that my sig has intentionally remained constant (thanks in part, of course, to HES), and that I hereby consider myself to be one of the Hopefuls (or is it Hopefools?).
In MajorDouble7's sig, I wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

He/Him/His Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Wow, talk about being ninja'd while making my reply to SBN.
Thank you, BlitzGirl for the restore. You *thwapped* that out while I was still typing. And SBN has his reply out too. (I told you I was a ssslllooowww typist.) Again, thanks BlitzGirl.

BytEfLUSh wrote:Blindpost:

I may have been somewhat affected by alcohol consumption last night (i.e. 24 newpix ago). I may have posted things that shouldn't be posted, and I may have offended some people. I am sorry about that. I apologize to you all, and I'd also like to ask you something. Please, do not quote or link my "drunk"-posts. If a post offended you, do send me a PM. Thank you, that is all. :)

You didn't offend me, in the least. Yesterday was very hard on all of us. And multi-posting the Pink Floyd? Well, I did something like that one day when I found a really cool link that I thought everyone would enjoy. I had to post it three times before I got any comments about it.

mscha wrote:A quick note that the OTC is still randomly showing one “epilogue” frame per hour. The sequence, up to now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA

And with that, molpy down.
I'm happy that the OTT is still alive – perhaps more alive than it has ever been on a Saturday?
Spoiler:

We might have to wait for one of our chart makers to confirm that, but it does feel like it's been plenty busy today.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:12 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:

I guess the biggest thing about what you said, is since I didn't write the original article, all I would want to do is restore what was there and keep the new portions. I really don't know how to go about doing that. And I'm not sure if I want to do something that "tricky" as my first attempt at wiki-ing. And I'm not sure how long ago it happened so I not sure if it would be in the history still. However, thanks for letting me know you found them helpful in general. Maybe the person who posted the original article will have a better idea of how to do that restore. Like I said, at least the originals are on the OTT and the very originals are on my computer.
You know, I was thinking about doing a similar close-up colored ID tag thing for each of the Beanies Big Hat, the kids, the female student, the teacher and student on the wall, and Rosetta; just in case we found our way back to the castle. But now that it's over I don't know if it's needed. What do think, should I do it anyway, just for the fun of it? And post it (at least here)?

Don't worry too much: the history doesn't seem to have a limit at all for the moment. So you can find the portions that were deleted and bring them back. Just try, if you do something wrong we'll fix it. :wink:

HES wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Angelastic, when you get there, you'll be happy to know that I found your hat! It seems to have fun in its new life! :)

I hit "youtube mix" after watching that. I'm not sure if this is a brilliant idea, or a really bad one, but right now the soundtrack to my internet is pretty awesome.

Post-present papal preposition: Find other OTTer's hat's in the outside, and bring them back where they belong.

Yeah, Susumu Hirasawa is really ⁴. :) Not of the taste of everyone though. Glad you like him! He seems to have original ideas for each of his gigs. Some were "interactive": they had a storyline with intersections, and the crowd could choose one path or the other by making noise. :D

I discovered him because he made the soundtrack of Paprika, an awesome movie by Satoshi Kon.
Last edited by Pikrass on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC

To begin with, can any of you genuine musician types recommend a microphone? I could use an affordable, hobbyist-level digital mike, preferably one with built-in recording capacity so I don't have to record next to my 60dB computer. I'm not interested in voice acting ─ I might do narration or audiobooks, but not individual character voices ─ but I do sing, and am reasonably popular as an SCA bard. I'm a baritone, with a reasonably good ear and a folk-singer's voice.

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of?
Spoiler:
(Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

To a large extent, I'd have to agree with FullOfIt: My most significant accomplishment was to participate at all. I've never joined a social network, have one small hobby website that I rarely update and scarcely promote, have a blog that I haven't posted to in years, and before Time my only significant internet interaction was as an occasional Slashdot poster and haunter of software support forums. Here, I have nearly 600 posts, some of them roughly a thousand words long. I have songs, and a poem or two, and a few images, and a bunch of graphs. That's a chirpin' lot of output for one shy introvert.

But to give you a real answer: The one contribution that tickles me the most is that I named the Knights Temporal. (You startled the chirp out of me when you mentioned that in the post where you knighted me.) I've gotten some LOLs and I've had remarks sigged twice or thrice, but that one addition to the OTT vocabulary particularly pleases me.

Of my more elaborate contributions, I'm still very pleased with "Wonderful Walk". I'd change it slightly, taking out two or three OTTish references so that it was more honestly from Cueball's point of view, but that's all. I've hoped all along to record that one myself, probably as an overdubbed street-corner a capella arrangement ─ but I don't have a decent mike, hence my question above. If I ever do manage to record it, and I sound as good on speakers as I do in in my head, that'll easily be my proudest contribution.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:To begin with, can any of you genuine musician types recommend a microphone? I could use an affordable, hobbyist-level digital mike, preferably one with built-in recording capacity so I don't have to record next to my 60dB computer. I'm not interested in voice acting ─ I might do narration or audiobooks, but not individual character voices ─ but I do sing, and am reasonably popular as an SCA bard. I'm a baritone, with a reasonably good ear and a folk-singer's voice.

I use a Shure C606 which is basically the affordable version of the famous SM58, and is still an excellent mic for half the price. (There isn't really such thing as a digital mic though, I'm not sure what you mean by that... they're all analogue really, and then your computer's sound card turns it into a digital signal...) but if you want something with built-in recording, you'll want something like a Zoom H1 (cheapest) or H2 (bit higher up the range) or H4 (top-end).

ETA: Don't forget you also started the trend of double dactyling!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Wow, talk about being ninja'd while making my reply to SBN.
Thank you, BlitzGirl for the restore. You *thwapped* that out while I was still typing. And SBN has his reply out too. (I told you I was a ssslllooowww typist.) Again, thanks BlitzGirl.

You're welcome! I've been a little more involved in the wiki lately, so it was relatively easy to change it (except for the whole "source mode" bit).

jjjdavidson wrote:But to give you a real answer: The one contribution that tickles me the most is that I named the Knights Temporal. (You startled the chirp out of me when you mentioned that in the post where you knighted me.) I've gotten some LOLs and I've had remarks sigged twice or thrice, but that one addition to the OTT vocabulary particularly pleases me.

That was a good one! :D I thought it only fitting that the one who came up with the name should have that mentioned when he was knighted.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:

Don't worry too much: the history doesn't seem to have a limit at all for the moment. So you can find the portions that were deleted and bring them back. Just try, if you do something wrong we'll fix it. :wink:

HES wrote:

Yeah, Susumu Hirasawa is really ⁴. :) Not of the taste of everyone though. Glad you like him! He seems to have original ideas for each of his gigs. Some were "interactive": they had a storyline with intersections, and the crowd could choose one path or the other by making noise. :D

I discovered him because he made the soundtrack of Paprika, an awesome movie by Satoshi Kon.

As you can see, BlitzGirl already put the super-blitz on the restore, but thanks for the information anyway. I'm sure there will be others with the same type of question.

And these two You Tube links here have been decidedly weird and wonderful.

And there's another big "Thank you" I need to make.

To all of the OTTer's who posted any kind of a music link, Thank you
I've heard music I would never have heard before and was reminded of music I had forgotten about. Thank you, all.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:You know, I was thinking about doing a similar close-up colored ID tag thing for each of the Beanies Big Hat, the kids, the female student, the teacher and student on the wall, and Rosetta; just in case we found our way back to the castle. But now that it's over I don't know if it's needed. What do think, should I do it anyway, just for the fun of it? And post it (at least here)?

I think the colored ID tag for the Beanies is still a good idea. We still want to provide as much information and analysis about Time as is possible, in my opinion. It is as though we are now the keepers of the OTC, and its archivists and historians. I think it is important, for posterity, and for future Timewaiters who may happen upon Time, for the first time, and wish to complete the journey. Having such information on the wiki would be helpful on many levels.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Still blindposting (though I may as well schizo-blitz a little.) Here's an ottification I just wrote for any people who are mad at GLR about the ending and/or want to petition for a sequel.

The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch (Yes, unlike the original, I'm using sentence capitalisation because that's what I was taught to do for titles which are complete sentences)
An ottification of George R.R. Martin is Not Your Bitch by John Anealio

I got an e-mail from a reader
who said he loved an artist
who wrote comics like the sea1

He asked me if I thought the artist
should feel he should restart this
a sequel just for me

and this is what I said:
Spoiler:
The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch
no matter how much you gripe
so you might as well go get a life

I said: If you think that Time was entertaining
it's best to stop complaining
writers just aren't machines

Although he once worked building robots
they weren't for comic slow-plots
so find something else to read

Check out the book wiki

no matter how much you gripe
so stop waiting and go get a life

yet another "thank you" to Angelastic for "The Great Lord Randall is not your bitch" .... GLR is a grand master at igniting explosions of inspiration ....

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
pelrigg wrote:You know, I was thinking about doing a similar close-up colored ID tag thing for each of the Beanies Big Hat, the kids, the female student, the teacher and student on the wall, and Rosetta; just in case we found our way back to the castle. But now that it's over I don't know if it's needed. What do think, should I do it anyway, just for the fun of it? And post it (at least here)?

I think the colored ID tag for the Beanies is still a good idea. We still want to provide as much information and analysis about Time as is possible, in my opinion. It is as though we are now the keepers of the OTC, and its archivists and historians. I think it is important, for posterity, and for future Timewaiters who may happen upon Time, for the first time, and wish to complete the journey. Having such information on the wiki would be helpful on many levels.

I sort of, kind of thought it would be a good idea. But it is nice to hear it from somebody else. I'll set about doing it tomorrow when I'm a little fresher in the brain pan. (Been on-line here for about 12 hours I think. So it would be better if I waited.)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Just announcing that you can now add your thoughts to frames at mscha's viewer, for great justice for the great Book of Time. Currently they're only kept in your computer; I'll eventually add a function to export the data so you can send it to whoever is responsible for the book.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:

You didn't offend me, in the least. Yesterday was very hard on all of us. And multi-posting the Pink Floyd? Well, I did something like that one day when I found a really cool link that I thought everyone would enjoy. I had to post it three times before I got any comments about it.

Well, *whew* (the sound you imagine when something terrible isn't so terrible after all).
I was talking to a friend today (he doesn't read xkcd, but sometimes I like to bore him with OTC stuff).
It was something like this:

Me: So I remembered "Pink Floyd - Time" and I posted it, since it's a great soundtrack to Time.
Friend: *yawn* And?
Me: Well... I got several replies, most of them pretty much the same... They said "ummm, you posted that half a newpix ago". Damn, I didn't remember I posted it at all
Friend: So, just now, they realized you [tend to get pretty drunk]
Me: ...

I'm an alcoholic, a time follower and proud of it! :D

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Hey everyone! I'm back! Did you miss me? I had a little computer trouble... ;)
In the meantime, I was incredibly put off by the end of Time. I still don't really believe it...I've had the tab open ever since, just in case... Anyway, idle hands do Basement Cat's work, so I put together a little something to keep us going and hopefully breathe some life into the OTT. So without further adieu, in honor of my 888th post (8 is my favorite number), I present to you:

===================================================================

Wait Not In Vain
A webcomic about life, the universe, and the OTT

- What is WNIV? Is it a replacement to Time?
No, in fact my original plan was to create something a little more homestuck-esque, hence the text below each frame. Still not sure whether I'll keep that or not, but I think it would add something to whatever narrative we end up creating. Either way, creative and efficient as we are, I am doubtful we could produce enough content for a frame per newpix, so we'd have to have a one or two per day model.

- Are you trying to be Randall, foolish mortal?
Quite the opposite. I am fully aware of my mortal being, and as such humbly request YOUR assistance in continuing with this project! I made a submission page for people to submit potential frames or frame sequences for the comic, but that's only the beginning. There are better web coders on this forum than I, and more creative artists as well - This project will continue evolving as, hopefully, more people get involved. Or everyone will ignore it and it'll die. I dunno! We'll have to wait (for it) and see.

- Hey, can you add <feature name here>?
Contact me via PM for specific feature requests, as though I've read the entire thread so far, I'm not always the most careful reader and may miss your feedback!

====================================================================

I love you guys, and am firmly in opposition of abandoning the OTT! If this doesn't work out, I'm sure we'll find some other project to concentrate our creative powers on, though I really do hope this works out.

If there's a specific thing I need from anyone here, it's a more permanent place to host this. I'm hosting it on my own website for the time being, hence the strange aperture-logo favicon, but my website's going to be falling apart soon and I don't want this to suffer from administrative negligence, especially as I'm heading off for a lengthy family road trip in a wip or two. I'd also like volunteers for a few responsible comic-masters who can control which frames get published to the main page - there's no interface for that yet, but it's next on my todo list. AluisioASG and Latent22 get first dibs as they had an extremely similar idea and were eager to support this project!

Anyway, much apologies for my having been so infrequent here lately - I was busy with my summer class, but that's done now, and I've done my 888 post gimmick, so I'll be back to my usual posting habits ;) Happy Waiting all, and may all your rafts giraft (or something of that nature).
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:06 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Well, *whew* (the sound you imagine when something terrible isn't so terrible after all).
I was talking to a friend today (he doesn't read xkcd, but sometimes I like to bore him with OTC stuff).
It was something like this:

Me: So I remembered "Pink Floyd - Time" and I posted it, since it's a great soundtrack to Time.
Friend: *yawn* And?
Me: Well... I got several replies, most of them pretty much the same... They said "ummm, you posted that half a newpix ago". Damn, I didn't remember I posted it at all
Friend: So, just now, they realized you [tend to get pretty drunk]
Me: ...

I'm an alcoholic, a time follower and proud of it! :D

Maybe you should call yourself a "professional drinker". That's what my cousins and some of my friends say......

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Image

Welcome back!

I love your WNIV idea, and the TEXT BELOW EACH FRAME hits just the right tone :)

How about some 8-bit in celebration of all the 8's?
He/Him/His Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:09 am UTC

As for me, I'm most proud of my design for the Knights Temporal insignia, and the fact that it made it into yappo's Monomolpy board. My hat for kenmelken is also something of which I am very proud.

There was something else I was going to say, but I forget what it was :oops:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Hey everyone! I'm back! Did you miss me? I had a little computer trouble... ;)
In the meantime, I was incredibly put off by the end of Time. I still don't really believe it...I've had the tab open ever since, just in case... Anyway, idle hands do Basement Cat's work, so I put together a little something to keep us going and hopefully breathe some life into the OTT. So without further adieu, in honor of my 888th post (8 is my favorite number), I present to you:
Spoiler:
===================================================================

Wait Not In Vain

- What is WNIV? Is it a replacement to Time?
No, in fact my original plan was to create something a little more homestuck-esque, hence the text below each frame. Still not sure whether I'll keep that or not, but I think it would add something to whatever narrative we end up creating. Either way, creative and efficient as we are, I am doubtful we could produce enough content for a frame per newpix, so we'd have to have a one or two per day model.

- Are you trying to be Randall, foolish mortal?
Quite the opposite. I am fully aware of my mortal being, and as such humbly request YOUR assistance in continuing with this project! I made a submission page for people to submit potential frames or frame sequences for the comic, but that's only the beginning. There are better web coders on this forum than I, and more creative artists as well - This project will continue evolving as, hopefully, more people get involved. Or everyone will ignore it and it'll die. I dunno! We'll have to wait (for it) and see.

- Hey, can you add <feature name here>?
Contact me via PM for specific feature requests, as though I've read the entire thread so far, I'm not always the most careful reader and may miss your feedback!

====================================================================

I love you guys, and am firmly in opposition of abandoning the OTT! If this doesn't work out, I'm sure we'll find some other project to concentrate our creative powers on, though I really do hope this works out.

If there's a specific thing I need from anyone here, it's a more permanent place to host this. I'm hosting it on my own website for the time being, hence the strange aperture-logo favicon, but my website's going to be falling apart soon and I don't want this to suffer from administrative negligence, especially as I'm heading off for a lengthy family road trip in a wip or two. I'd also like volunteers for a few responsible comic-masters who can control which frames get published to the main page - there's no interface for that yet, but it's next on my todo list. AluisioASG and Latent22 get first dibs as they had an extremely similar idea and were eager to support this project!

Anyway, much apologies for my having been so infrequent here lately - I was busy with my summer class, but that's done now, and I've done my 888 post gimmick, so I'll be back to my usual posting habits ;) Happy Waiting all, and may all your rafts giraft (or something of that nature).

Welcome back Chronos. Some of us thought you were major bummed out by The Event. Well, maybe you are, but that wasn't what was holding back you're posting, I guess. AluisioASG just** posted about something similar using mscha's site. Maybe you need to contact him about it so you two aren't duplicating each other.
I took a quick look at what you already have up. Does this mean we'll be able to make our comments/poems/whatever directly on this site? (No matter where it ends up.)

Even though people are talking Facebook and Twitter, I'm sure the OTT will go strong for a while.

EDIT:
**Just: as in the second post above yours. A matter of a few minutes.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Yay, ChronosDragon's connection reestablished! That looks like a really 4 project and I'm excited to see where it goes!
HAL9000 wrote:As for me, I'm most proud of my design for the Knights Temporal insignia, and the fact that it made it into yappo's Monomolpy board.

And also features extensively in this!

Excellent OTTing today, folks. molpy down.
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:21 am UTC

I saw somewhere that there was a OTT/OTC facebook group and I asked to join, but realized it might pose a problem since my real name is not Goggalor (gasp!), so whoever's in charge of that thing if you see someone named Jacob let him in please.

Hmm... If I had to pick my proudest moment of this whole thing it'd be the fact that I was included in the second boom-de-yada (I almost selected my contribution to the bag puns even though some considered it a blight upon the OTT. It was a lot of fun.). For some reason I love when people include me into any kind of art, so that was really cool. Thanks Blitzgirl!
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

jjjdavidson

▓▒░ Thank you ALL ░▒▓

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:23 am UTC

One aspect of being cataclysmically shy: I'm constantly worried about offending people.

I should compliment BlitzGirl for that. But will she think I'm just riding her coattails? And if I do, will Yappo be offended that I didn't mention him? And what about Angelastic? and mscha? and──

And, dithering even though I know it's silly, I wind up saying nothing at all to anyone. But I've read every post for the last day and a half with unusual care, and I value every single one of them. Seeing how many people care about the comic and the thread, reading how you all feel, helps me feel, well, not better about "The end," but less lost. Thank you all for every single post, even the bickering ones. You're bickering because "Time" is something you care about. And to those people who've sent thanks to me ─ I only wish I'd had time to do more.

If you ever think, "Why didn't someone respond to that?": Please, please be sure that I read it, and laughed or sniffled or grinned or said, "Chirp yeah!"

Image I wish like crazy I could give every single one of you a hug. Stick around the OTT; we're a long way from giving up.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:26 am UTC

Welcome back ChronosDragon! So glad you could make it. I truly love the idea of Wait Not in Vain. :mrgreen:

One note: I do not think Chrome likes the site. The text box at the bottom of the page is obscuring the navigation buttons below the frame.

ETA: @jjjdavidson More *HUGS*
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:26 am UTC

You're welcome, Goggalor! And d'aaaawww, that's such a nice post, jjjdavidson! :mrgreen: I too, love our little OTT-community we have going on, even all you reading this who are lurking or only post occasionally. You're wowterful!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Wait Not In Vain

Neat! Once this gets up and going a little, I'd be happy to submit some artwork. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Re: ▓▒░ Thank you ALL ░▒▓

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:One aspect of being cataclysmically shy: I'm constantly worried about offending people.
Spoiler:
I should compliment BlitzGirl for that. But will she think I'm just riding her coattails? And if I do, will Yappo be offended that I didn't mention him? And what about Angelastic? and mscha? and──

And, dithering even though I know it's silly, I wind up saying nothing at all to anyone. But I've read every post for the last day and a half with unusual care, and I value every single one of them. Seeing how many people care about the comic and the thread, reading how you all feel, helps me feel, well, not better about "The end," but less lost. Thank you all for every single post, even the bickering ones. You're bickering because "Time" is something you care about. And to those people who've sent thanks to me ─ I only wish I'd had time to do more.

If you ever think, "Why didn't someone respond to that?": Please, please be sure that I read it, and laughed or sniffled or grinned or said, "Chirp yeah!"

Image I wish like crazy I could give every single one of you a hug. Stick around the OTT; we're a long way from giving up.

I couldn't agree more. But wait, what about all those other heartfelt comments I never replied to...

Something I'm really bad at, in real life too, is thanking people. I suppose the flipside is that when I do, I really mean it (or I'm being sarcastic, another problem of mine...)
He/Him/His Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:35 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:One aspect of being cataclysmically shy: I'm constantly worried about offending people.

I'm really a shy person in the Outside World, too. Usually I'm the one over in the corner looking around and not saying anything. Yet here I am posting like crazy some days. So that's another thing I should be proud of, I guess. That you folks have gotten me to open up. I wish I could thank and hug and shake hands with all of you, too.
And jjj, I hope you don't mind if I borrow that smiley, do you? Image

Hey do remember that Jimmy Stewart/Henry Fonda quote you put up a long time ago? I got that immediately. I saw the movie when it came out and I have it on DVD.

Edit
And you disappeared the first time I replied to you about that quote, too. :D :mrgreen:

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:38 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Hey everyone! I'm back! Did you miss me? I had a little computer trouble... ;)

AluisioASG just posted about something similar using mscha's site.

I find your definition of ‘similar’ disturbing.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:40 am UTC

HES wrote:

Welcome back!

I love your WNIV idea, and the TEXT BELOW EACH FRAME hits just the right tone :)

Thanks! I tried to emulate homestuck's style a bit and then it sort of went places. I wonder where it will float to next?

pelrigg wrote:

Welcome back Chronos. Some of us thought you were major bummed out by The Event. Well, maybe you are, but that wasn't what was holding back you're posting, I guess. AluisioASG just** posted about something similar using mscha's site. Maybe you need to contact him about it so you two aren't duplicating each other.
I took a quick look at what you already have up. Does this mean we'll be able to make our comments/poems/whatever directly on this site? (No matter where it ends up.)

Even though people are talking Facebook and Twitter, I'm sure the OTT will go strong for a while.

EDIT:
**Just: as in the second post above yours. A matter of a few minutes.

Yeah, I've already talked to him about it. I think our projects are slightly different in nature, and anyway it's always good to have redundancy!

k.bookbinder wrote:Welcome back ChronosDragon! So glad you could make it. I truly love the idea of Wait Not in Vain. :mrgreen:

One note: I do not think Chrome likes the site. The text box at the bottom of the page is obscuring the navigation buttons below the frame.

ETA: @jjjdavidson More *HUGS*

Hmm, I'm not getting that on any browser. Can you post a screenshot?

================

It seems there's some confusion as to the nature of the project, so let me clarify. My original intent was to have a sort of spin-off comic featuring Megan and Cueball and whoever else from the OTT, created by OTTers. However, based on the response here, maybe in addition to/instead of this, it could be a sort of gallery of generic OTT fan content? I'll need to see what the general consensus is on this.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:43 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Hey everyone! I'm back! Did you miss me? I had a little computer trouble... ;)

AluisioASG just posted about something similar using mscha's site.

I find your definition of ‘similar’ disturbing.

Isn't that what your talking about? Being able to put your own comment or whatever next to a frame.
It looks like it's close to what Chronos is talking about, or am I missing something fundamentally different here?

Or is my leg being pulled?

Edit
And ninja'd by Chronos. Standard Procedure still in place.

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Ketching up on a phone in a place with terrible 3G is not easy! Suffice to say most everyone here has been impressive and fantastic and impressively fantastic, and I can't wait to see where everyone's creativity takes the OTT next. As for lil' ol' me, I'm sticking around - I can't let my font rest until it's done!

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:57 am UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

I couldn't agree more. But wait, what about all those other heartfelt comments I never replied to...

Yeah, even with that little made-up example of mental dithering I worried, Should I mention pelrigg? or ChronosDragon? or──

pelrigg wrote:I'm really a shy person in the Outside World, too.
Spoiler:
Usually I'm the one over in the corner looking around and not saying anything. Yet here I am posting like crazy some days. So that's another thing I should be proud of, I guess. That you folks have gotten me to open up. I wish I could thank and hug and shake hands with all of you, too.
And jjj, I hope you don't mind if I borrow that smiley, do you? Image
Hey do remember that Jimmy Stewart/Henry Fonda quote you put up a long time ago? I got that immediately. I saw the movie when it came out and I have it on DVD.

:shock: Holy mustard, I'd completely forgotten I ever posted that quote. That was nearly three months (and over 450 posts) ago. Even if I don't blitzgirl the entire OTT, I should at least look back over my own posts, and the posts that triggered them. I might surprise myself.
More hugs! Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 am UTC

Here for a short time after traveling. Which does not, keep in mind, mean I've returned, because I never left.

@NetWeasel -- The analysis with the "bouncer" analogy is spot on. Very well said.

@Tatiana -- Beautifully OTTified poem.

@Sciscitor -- Wow, new avatar collage and constellation! I was wondering if relative newcomers were going to be feeling they "missed all that fun stuff" from earlier in the thread, but no need to worry.

To answer BlitzGirl's question in a bit of a roundabout way...

I know what I worked the hardest on, it was my first creative contribution to the thread, The Alt-Text, OTTification of The Raven. Although overtaken by events (the alt-text did "update" eventually; one must assume that Poe's raven must have died or flown away eventually too) it holds up pretty well. But it's not what I'm proudest of, because the hard work shows.

I know which of my OTTifications is technically the best crafted. It's, believe it or not, Madagascarville, the (second in the thread) OTTification of Margaritaville. Also rendered a bit obsolete by events (Cuegan were not in Madagascar after all) but it succinctly captured the mood of both the comic and of the thread at the Time. And it was in some sense true to the original song, while re-using very few of its words.

The one I'm proudest of is the Starry Starry Night filk. Couldn't get it out of my own head for days afterward. That doesn't mean it's good, just that it affected me in some strange ways, which include being irrationally proud of it.

And ultimately, the one that seems most likely to be remembered is my "running faucet" manip.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”