1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Ok, thought I'd try my hand at coloring a frame:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
sky1.png
Prairie-Dogs.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

I cannot help but wonder. Our heroes descended quite a way down the mountains. They reached their Forty at the (rising) sea level. They got on rafts. Then there's ONE frame of darkness, and they're getting off onto land, happy to explore? Surely that didn't just skip the several days required for the Mediterranean to regain its current level... And what about the others-in-the-hills? We don't really see 40 people on the rafts...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:And I very much appreciate all of you here in the OTT. But with the End of Time behind us, I fear that Outsider forces will surely eventually tear apart the OTTers.

Realistically? Yes, eventually. But hopefully not for quite some time, yet. Since you haven't condimented the past 30 NPs I'll let ya know that we already have things in place to keep most of us together even if the mods were to lock this forum. Besides. Most of us are in denial, so *shhhhhh*!! <3

SPACKlick wrote:
Valarya wrote:Random question to anyone: In reference to graphs and data and all that... we used to have a list of the top 20 posting OTTers. Was that on Kieryn's site? Is it still being updated?

I'm maintaining an offline version in order the top 50 posters below
Spoiler:
mscha 2330
BlitzGirl 2087
HAL9000 1050
ChronosDragon 900
KarMann 894
charlie_grumbles 868
StratPlayer 810
SBN 751
yappobiscuits 737
k.bookbinder 734
AluisioASG 725
Kieryn 724
Exodies 693
buffygirl 686
Eternal Density 685
Valarya 657
pelrigg 651
Dracomax 649
Opiboble 633
jjjdavidson 594
azule 555
Latent22 552
taixzo 542
HES 539
ucim 497
Helper 472
kenmelken 441
Angelastic 424
fhorn 417
higgs-boson 405
tman2nd 392
TheMinim 385
spamjam 374
Rule110 365
jovialbard 362
lmjb1964 357
Neil_Boekend 350
htom 348
edo 343
cmyk 322
cellocgw 315
AionArap 289
NetWeasel 289
TimeLurker 277
ergman 273
Zorin_75 268
ggh 265
patzer 264
thirds 245
Flotter 245

Oh, neat!! Thanks SPACKlick :wink:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:Random question to anyone: In reference to graphs and data and all that... we used to have a list of the top 20 posting OTTers. Was that on Kieryn's site? Is it still being updated?

At Kieryn's site, the Credits list user posts by the numbers. So it does indicate top posters. However, it does appear to be about 4 weeks behind. I do believe that Kieryn is working on updating much of the data on his site.

StratPlayer wrote:
rvloon wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:See ya'all for the sequel someday!

Is this what 'saying goodbye' looks like, he asked suspiciously?

Ronald

Sort of... But not entirely... At some point, I do want to do a proper ketchup of all the OTT I missed during the last few weeks.

And I very much appreciate all of you here in the OTT. But with the End of Time behind us, I fear that Outsider forces will surely eventually tear apart the OTTers. I recognize why everyone wants to fight against it, and I share their sadness at seeing it go. It's like Megan building that first sand dyke against the rising sea. Here's a discussion about it back from NP 384:

StratPlayer wrote:
Asthanius wrote:<snip>
I don't think you understand: The water will never rise that high. Look at Megan. She's rebuilding the sandcastle, isn't she? Now, they both know that the water is rising, but they don't know how far it will rise. If Megan was unsure of whether or not the water will overtake the sandcastle, why would she waste time rebuilding it?

Because Megan is continuing to build, she is confident that the water will not destroy the sandcastle.

At least, this is my theory.

Foolishly/bravely/blindly trying to hold on to what's familiar in the face of certain onslaught is part and parcel of the human spirit.

And thus it is with the diehards OTT, as the tides of real Outsider time start to pull it asunder...

But while it may fade away, it does NOT change the fact that it was every bit as amazing and wonderful as that castle that Megan and Cueball first built.

*sigh* You are kind of bumming me out again. And I was almost ready to get over this. But worry not, we have contingency plans. We already have a FB group and several OTTers have shared their Twitter accounts as well. There is also the wiki forum to use if needed. So, in some shape or form, many of us OTTers are pretty determined to stay in touch. :mrgreen:

ETA: @Ximenez Brilliant! :lol:

Facebook group? I can't find it by searching for it...
*Insert witty comment*

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Partial ketchup.

Thus ends Time. Yeah, what do you say to such a thing? Difficult. In the end it's always GLR's work and therefore his choice to continue or to end. So "thank you GLR" I guess. I had a lot of fun reading Time. "Thank you OTT" seems a bit premature. Some of the projects that I have seen pop up after the End of Time may survive. But since I feel like covering every possible case, including the diminishing and going to the West of the OTT, "Thank you OTT" would be appropriate.
Still, an overwhelming feeling of loss arises in me. The OTC was so special.
I will not leave the OTT. Not yet, not until there is more than a few days between posts (and if a couple of us do that it will not happen soon). What we have created here is awesome, and though it may be based on the OTC, it's core is not the OTC. It's core is the harmony we found.

ZoomanSP wrote:Instead of perpetuity, OTC contained end.

Would wait again.

Me 2 man, me 2.

Now continuing with your irregularly unscheduled ketchup:

Bump, because The OTC may have ended, this doesn't seem to mean the firstposts can be authorized live.
Shiv_L wrote:You guys! I've been lurking here since the beginning of time, I can't believe this is the end... :cry:

lmjb1964 wrote:Has Neil_Boekend been on lately? I thought it was ironic he wasn't here for "The End." And yes, buffygirl's in for a shock...

Alas, that's the curse I must bear, to be without proper Tubes, only to Wait for it at work and when I can steal Time at my family's or friend's. And the fact that I live halfway across the world from GLR.
Now "It" is here I don't feel like a typical NB prediction though. It just doesn't feel right. I do feel like working on a fan-based version of it though. I could write some stories and when I found an apartment of my own (with Tubes) I would love to plug my wacom back in and attempt some drawing.
Spoiler:
My drawing is bad though. It's all right, I don't feel sensitive about it. Once and if you see it you are allowed to laugh.

My stories do tend to take a turn for the dark and impossible, as you have seen, so if I am allowed to write for the OTFCOTFC then the Queganites will meet trouble. Lots of it.

Thus continues Time?

ChronosDragon wrote:
Wait Not In Vain
A webcomic about life, the universe, and the OTT

Yaay! I Like it! Can't wait to start for it. (denial is a powerful force they say. Well, to be able to consider my drawing "passable" requires a powerful force as coercion. Maybe this denial thing helps you look past my worthless drawing and see what I was thinking about while writing it.)
Spoiler:
Hint: it was probably tits.

*Continues his Quest for better access to Teh Tubes.*

Thus continues Time!

Bump
dawnfire wrote:Hi all,

Been lurking and watching right from the start, and just wanted to delurk to say thanks for all the fun and 7some creativity!

In honour of the OTT, and inspired by something Blitzgirl mentioned a few posts ago, here's my first stab at what seemed like an appropriate OTTification. It's not perfect but I hope you like it!

Time after Time
An OTTification of.. well... Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
(Can't add a link here as I'm too new :( )

Blitzing through the thread I see the last ONG out of the blue
Drowning in questions, this ending cannot be true
Flashback, starry night
Lucky left behind
Wow-trees a memory

Spoiler:
Time after...

Sometimes you humble me,
The beauty in this whole thread,
Translating Beanies, solving what Rosetta said,
Then you say, "ketchup"
I fall behind
The newpixbot goes quiet

Past "The End", you can look and you will find them
Time after Time
All the OTTers will catch you, they'll be waiting
Time after Time
Time after Time
All the OTTers will catch you, they will be waiting
Time after Time

After the comic fades, the molpies all gone away
Thinking of Meg and Cue, you're wondering if they're okay
The maps, stolen
From the fortress
Will lead the Forty safe

Time after Time
Time after Time

Then you say, "ketchup"
I fall behind
The newpixbot goes quiet

Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
All the OTTers will catch you, they will be waiting
Time after Time

Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time

ETA: Woo! Post finally approved - was getting worried for a while there.

OTFC One True Fan Comic
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Ok, thought I'd try my hand at coloring a frame:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
sky1.png
Prairie-Dogs.png

Wow :shock: :D That is awefulsome!!

SinusPi wrote:I cannot help but wonder. Our heroes descended quite a way down the mountains. They reached their Forty at the (rising) sea level. They got on rafts. Then there's ONE frame of darkness, and they're getting off onto land, happy to explore? Surely that didn't just skip the several days required for the Mediterranean to regain its current level... And what about the others-in-the-hills? We don't really see 40 people on the rafts...

I do believe we were able to account for all of the Forty, when the two rafts joined up. As for how long it took for the Mediterranean to fill, I do not know that it would have required it to completely fill for them to find safe land. For all we know it could still be filling, just at a much slower pace now. There is also an implication of some time compression towards the end (GLR, Creator of Time, seems to favor such Time compression when it suits his needs).
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Incarnal

Postby Incarnal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

So, I'm sure it has probably been said to death already, but I would just really like to thank Randall for all the work he put into this comic. I've never seen anything else quite like it!

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:I cannot help but wonder. Our heroes descended quite a way down the mountains. They reached their Forty at the (rising) sea level. They got on rafts. Then there's ONE frame of darkness, and they're getting off onto land, happy to explore? Surely that didn't just skip the several days required for the Mediterranean to regain its current level... And what about the others-in-the-hills? We don't really see 40 people on the rafts...

Somebody at the time speculated that the water may be overspilling to the next basin in the med, so the rising level will pause for a while. We can assume once it rises again, the forty have either moved on to higher ground or can use the raftcastle again.

EraObserver wrote:Facebook group? I can't find it by searching for it...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/207426296087284/
He/Him/His Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Message from pre-history...

Aubron wrote:I made a quick thing to view everything thus far, and I'm working on making it auto-update.

http://aubronwood.com/singlefileprojects/xkcd.php

P5 -- the appearance of the first viewer!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Ok, thought I'd try my hand at coloring a frame:
Spoiler:

7terful!
Thank you for the graphs4, SPACKlick!
And welcome to the OTT, Incarnal!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

Forbidden 403 wrote:I am getting a really bad morbid feeling out of this.

These sorts of messages are everywhere at this point in Time (P6). I wonder how GLR felt about that -- that so many people immediately sprung to the conclusion that this was all linked to his private life, and that so many of us take the time to remind him of the horrible struggles his family has been through...
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

This whole adventure has reinforced my ire at the fact that creative digital media is not taken more seriously. The OTC is, in my view, a groundbreaking piece of art and uses a medium in a new and previously unexplored manner to bring an experience to the observer that is quite unique among art forms. It makes me sad that it will never be known, or recognized by the wider world.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Hey -- did ya'll check the latest Google news headline!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

See? It's so easy to make the world a better place!

(You really made me laugh, Kieryn. Thanks. I needed that.)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:…maybe the camera man was shot and Randall left the comic updating in a single frame where nothing interesting happens <snip>

So, this is how it happened.

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Whole new definition of ‘jaw-dropping’, uh?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Hey -- did ya'll check the latest Google news headline!

For some reason your content is blocked on my work server...curious.

However for real news on the OTC...here, here, here, and here.
Last edited by SPACKlick on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

This would be waaay more convincing without the spelling errors. :)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:This whole adventure has reinforced my ire at the fact that creative digital media is not taken more seriously. The OTC is, in my view, a groundbreaking piece of art and uses a medium in a new and previously unexplored manner to bring an experience to the observer that is quite unique among art forms. It makes me sad that it will never be known, or recognized by the wider world.

Than we shall have to be the ones to bring it to the masses! Assemble the Molpy Army! Molpy Up!!

Er...OK, perhaps not that way.

I do think an art installation of Time repeating would be really neat. Though, it can never again have the impact that it did the first time around. Which makes it all the more special to me that I saw it from the beginning. I do agree, XKCD is an art, and Time is an example of what art is capable of. For the OTT is evidence enough of the power of Time to move us, and effect us in a way that many artists strive to reach their audience, but often fail to do. Such is Randall's talent, making him worthy of the title GLR, Creator of Time.

ETA: @Kieryn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Reka wrote:

Yeah sorry about that :oops: I could do it again, but I already closed the modified tab and I'm lazy too busy.
Image- Kieryn

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:

For some reason your content is blocked on my work server...curious.

However for real news on the OTC...here, here, here, and here.

xkcd 1190 in outside world news ... heart warming !! these are great ...

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy (in Absentia) here, to say:

I think this is just the end of Chapter One. I suspect that, at some point, we will see a comic entitled "Time 2," and off again we will go.

I can wait for it. I waited 16 years for Doctor Who to come back.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Molpy up! Only a few NP that I read through, but still seems as though a splatterpost is ahead...

Someone on the court yesterday said 'focus up' and I got a little knot in my stomach thinking 'molpy up' and how when I got in to work Monday morningH that there would be no new frames. But I'm glad you're all still here :) It made me realize that this feels kind of like a break up - where everything inexplicably reminds you of the forum person and it makes you sad.
-------------------------------
k.bookbinder wrote:I
schwartzbewithyou wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:By the way, what are the chances that anyone has access to a 3D printer?

Don't know if anyone's already answered this, but there's an organization in town that does this, or helps people do 3D printing, or something. If you need that, I can find out more about how it works.
Ooh. I wonder what it would take to get our Monomolpy pieces 3D printed. Vvn gave me that idea.

(Blindposting from only a few NP back)
I recently read This 3D printing article and about halfway down it lists in a grey box some of the main players in 3D printing, what open source codes are out there, and a couple sites that host already created 3D objects that you can use. I may not have strong photoshop skills... but creating 3D models is a place I can contribute :)

Really? So if I were to provide you a list of possible Monomolpy pieces, you may be able to render them?

I cannot promise how much outsideH time I will have, but I am capable of it, yes! A while back I suggested putting a poll together to see what the favorite Monomolpy pieces were, if you and yappo are alright with that, I can get something set up so we could take submissions and vote on pieces.
-----------------------
I LOVE all the colorifications of the frames! I am unfortunately hopelessly unartistic but I'm really enjoying them all. I hope over time (sigh... again with the reminding) that we can accumulate enough to have an entire color version of the comic.
-----------------------
As another post-time project... has anyone mentioned putting all the frames into a huge flipbook? Still have my fingers crossed for xkcd Time merchandise...
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Reka wrote:

Yeah sorry about that :oops: I could do it again, but I already closed the modified tab and I'm lazy too busy.

Bah. Bloomberg would not be the first on-line news agency I have seen to make a typo. I think it is also great that you OTTified this with a headline and article below mentioning the Pope, though I do not see any particular decrees mentioned. :D

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

So, to demonstrate my commitment to Apostasy: anyone wanna catch me up on the thread-trends that have sprouted up during my absence? Molpy, otters, and the like? :?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Wildhound wrote:This whole adventure has reinforced my ire at the fact that creative digital media is not taken more seriously. The OTC is, in my view, a groundbreaking piece of art and uses a medium in a new and previously unexplored manner to bring an experience to the observer that is quite unique among art forms. It makes me sad that it will never be known, or recognized by the wider world.

Than we shall have to be the ones to bring it to the masses! Assemble the Molpy Army! Molpy Up!!

Er...OK, perhaps not that way.

I do think an art installation of Time repeating would be really neat. Though, it can never again have the impact that it did the first time around. Which makes it all the more special to me that I saw it from the beginning. I do agree, XKCD is an art, and Time is an example of what art is capable of. For the OTT is evidence enough of the power of Time to move us, and effect us in a way that many artists strive to reach their audience, but often fail to do. Such is Randall's talent, making him worthy of the title GLR, Creator of Time.

It would be really neat if several of us could get a real time OTC on monitors in random places that the public walk past on the anniversary. To spread the OTC to as many people as possible.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

OMR, lots of ⁴ colorizations! Too many to mention...

BlitzGirl, ⁷someful ottification of 1999!
rvloon, yes, you should. Especially “Could We Start Again, Please?”. The first verse can remain as is:
Spoiler:
I've been living to see you.
Dying to see you,
but it shouldn't be like this.
This was unexpected,
what do I do now?
Could we start again please?
(Quicksilver, is this an ottification of something? If so, I can't figure it out.)

Yay, fresh Acts! The mood is definitely changing, which is to be expected...

SpackLick, ⁴ graphs and statistics! That line (OTT vs time) is surprisingly close to linear! And you confirm what we suspected: the pages after the frame-that-shan't-be-named were the fastest-filling ever.

Poor SpackLick, Lokiparts, StratPlayer (and others I've missed), for just finding out you-know-what...
Here's something to console yourself with:
Spoiler:
Actually, everyone else can dig in too, we need the consolation as well...

Eliram wrote:@mscha, is it possible to add back-links from your site to the colored images?

Not really. There's no predictable link for a frame's colorization. (Also, not entirely sure it belongs in the viewer. A separate viewer that shows the original frames with all their colorizations might be better – but I won't have the Time to do that any Time soon.

Eliram wrote:For windows users I find that paint.net is both easy to use, has plenty of features (including layers) and is free. GIMP can be too complicated for beginners.

I second that. Paint.NET is a lot easier to use than GIMP. Not as powerful, but just as free. I've been using it a lot lately.

I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:Well... You asked for it. Here is my treeish drawing of frame 1:
It was done in MSPaint (I have GIMP but I have no idea how to use it) and it's a pretty accurate representation of my artistic ability, especially using a mouse.

Wizpretz, I love your frame! And now you've encouraged me to try one sometime.

Tatiana

Re: A couple of suggestions

Postby Tatiana » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Also, has anyone considered starting a website on which people can share pictures of molpies and redundakitties and such?

The facebook OTT page might be a good place for that.

I also noticed the wikipedia xkcd page doesn't seem to have enough about the Time comic and the community that has sprung up around it. Should we edit it, you think?
Last edited by Tatiana on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Another prehistoric note (P10):
orthogon wrote:What's holding the overhanging parts of the castle up against their own weight? Sand of unusual stickiness? Or are they indeed in a low gravity environment?

This is the first Time (ONG?) on my journey that someone has offered a prediction that the OTC is about something out of the ordinary. Up to this point, everything has been related to something horrible happening to GLR IRL, or something mundane about the tide washing away the sandcastle and the loop(ist?) restarting.

(PM me if my prehistoric posts bother you. I'm not really spending any time in the present at the moment...)

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

I haven't posted much, but I, too, have been with the OTC and OTT since nearly the beginning. After so long, I feel so attached to the OTC, and it's hard to believe it's over. At first, many posited that it was all an elaborate April Fool's Day joke. Now, I hope that "The End" was just a joke, but I suspect it is in vain. I've really enjoyed reading and viewing all the commentary, the creations, the analysis you have all shared with us. Thank you for all the good times.

That said, I will probably still check in once (or more) times a day for quite some time.

The first night after the end, I dreamt that I woke up to find new frames. It was so sad when I woke.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

I was poking around with the javascript, and I think I found the Director's Cut.
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lightsaber.gif

xkcd_time_20130620_1900.png

xkcd_time_20130717_0400.png

redundant-jedi-kittens.jpg
Last edited by Whizbang on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Are you happy now, loopists?

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

A recap.

After the frame-that-we-don't-mention, there were five more ‘epilogue’ frames, frame 3090 through frame 3094; which I shall refer to as A through E.
After these five frames appeared, we no longer got any newpix (Image), but we did get, seemingly random, a different one of these five ‘epilogue’ frames (almost) each hour.
I've been keeping track of those, and after frame 3094, the following frames have appeared:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBA

I've split them up in chunks of 24, so you can see the pattern. It looks like, apart from the very first one, we get the same sequence every day.
As you may recall, the hour after np3094, we got C (as listed above), but an hour later this stayed at C, and only 8 minutes later this was changed to D. So it looks like the current logic was put in place at that time.

Even that daily sequence doesn't look quite random: for instance, it contains EDCBA twice. That could be a coincidence, although that doesn't seem likely. (But humans are very good at determining ‘randomness’ of such a sequence.)

In conclusion, we're looping! We can now predict the frames that will be shown on the OTC forever, or at least until the GLR (or one of His minions) changes it again.
The schedule is:

Time in UTC (Randall Daylight Time): frame (link)
02:00 (10 pm): E (frame 3094)
03:00 (11 pm): D (frame 3093)
04:00 (12 am): C (frame 3092)
05:00 (1 am): B (frame 3091)
06:00 (2 am): A (frame 3090)
07:00 (3 am): E (frame 3094)
08:00 (4 am): C (frame 3092)
09:00 (5 am): D (frame 3093)
10:00 (6 am): A (frame 3090)
11:00 (7 am): E (frame 3094)
12:00 (8 am): D (frame 3093)
13:00 (9 am): C (frame 3092)
14:00 (10 am): B (frame 3091)
15:00 (11 am): A (frame 3090)
16:00 (12 pm): E (frame 3094)
17:00 (1 pm): D (frame 3093)
18:00 (2 pm): C (frame 3092)
19:00 (3 pm): C (frame 3092)
20:00 (4 pm): D (frame 3093)
21:00 (5 pm): C (frame 3092)
22:00 (6 pm): B (frame 3091)
23:00 (7 pm): A (frame 3090)
00:00 (8 pm): B (frame 3091)
01:00 (9 pm): A (frame 3090)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Good to see that the end of time has inspired new blitzers. Also I'm shocked to find the post rate even faster now that time is at an end. I'm still here too, though as has become my custom, I mostly just lurk in the shadows.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

First use of Megan's name in the OTT! (P10) I wonder when OTT followers will start arguing about "Cuegan" vs "Megball"?

libra wrote:I think Megan's just starting a new sandcastle.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/88e3a0 ... cc67c8.png

HES

Re: Are you happy now, loopists?

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

So at the end of time, we will be able to predict the future.
He/Him/His Image

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Blitzposting to share some Markov chains I got from the OTT text:

Spoiler:
I made it back out .

It is made up Randallverse , Cuegan have been the one we are just trudging along .

Not to worry about Time ! Was happy to wake up , a newpix reminds me :p Totally pulling a semencaffeinatedbaconcancerbunny out of wifi range and are in Madagascar and brought up at the end , right ?

I just think blitzers should be a signatures-matching-posts sort of job I ' m using a complex vocabulary for ' asexual ' , I assert my request to be here and not the correct pronunciation , which means that we explode into a " Whoa ! If The Great Bag Robbery Rising Bag The Lost World : Jurassic Bag Bagginses ?

" More keyboards ! " Fade In to something , but it ' s long quotes , and more precious .

Prediction : Megan ' s a chart of posting .

I thank you for the purpose of amusing myself ?

Considering how little we ' ll try the special bits of the story I was going to be white pepper .

There are other elephants .

I think the original context of some sort ?

Maybe even taking note of effect-laden piano , I ' m gonna miss 1k anyway because of my regular bedtime .

Sorry if that ' s daughter , this morning ) : ) Yay , buffygirl and HAL9000 ' s big , stinky , steaming pile of Outside conversation / smalltalk is about a molpypope ?

And back to those double dactyls , said , unless the physics of flying objects in the black again , and it ' s not just bind tons of newpages ) * Yes , SHE was talking to trees after trying and failing ! ) for a newpix .

We see things at one of these comics got posted between now Outside and the last symbol in the future all at once .

As Cueball and Megan time travelled backwards from that frame ?

I agree with ChronosDragon , I get this .

Thinking about the river , but then all is abbreviated , so I had one of these : ETA 3 .

Birds-that-we-don ' t-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay , anyone can blitz truly .

: wink : I know this thread instead : This is a set , you already have one website or two Newpix spent catching up to this ?

While I was just too upsetting .

I don ' t coming back almost 50 years from now LaPetite will win , after much effort to choose the next however-many-hours Randall is trying to fill with water flowing in during the Journey looks like they were hiring _anyone_ who could enlighten us .

But I just assumed the camera tracks rapidly above the final product , or if this were 1-2 minutes .

Where did they climb / how fast they are going to read the " camera " tilting from frame 2400 , which may or may not be taken in by hand .

Hope it ' s uninhabitable , like a dude with a mighty banhammer as proof that BlitzGirl wanted to launch him into lashing out .

Then there ' s BuffyGirl who has gone through a cliff ! Oh ?

And you still respect me , at certain times where I ' m not going to be : To fulfill my own thoughts about the river goes , however , I know that somebody stole two posts are not floating on a fake blitz ! Makes it all mapped out at the sky is far future has begun .

I have time to wait for someone who is still the Molpy .

I think I need to check that spot before the water looks in a single one of the movie , you can ' t know they were like " ) It ' s banks " , but doesn ' t there , I really thought that my favorite trip down the forum picks up again at the front .

Does anyone else had provided an equivalent mountain made of either 24 or kittens will die of blood on the second scribe , and at first .

This is the plaintext I used (up to NP 1294; without quotes, code blocks and strikethroughs; including spoilers and text-coded smilies).

Also, here are some older Markov chains by thirds.

Hope you have fun :D I'll send more later. I'll also post the code of my OTT plaintext scraper when I polish it up a bit...
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Here's the GEB style isomorphism:

NASA ≃ Randall
Oberth Kuiper Maneuver ≃ Frames 2389 - 2530
Proposal ≃ 13291/04/14
Kerbal Space Program ≃ Stellarium
Image- Kieryn

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:A recap.

After the frame-that-we-don't-mention, there were five more ‘epilogue’ frames, frame 3090 through frame 3094; which I shall refer to as A through E.
After these five frames appeared, we no longer got any newpix (Image), but we did get, seemingly random, a different one of these five ‘epilogue’ frames (almost) each hour.
I've been keeping track of those, and after frame 3094, the following frames have appeared:

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBA

I've split them up in chunks of 24, so you can see the pattern. It looks like, apart from the very first one, we get the same sequence every day.
As you may recall, the hour after np3094, we got C (as listed above), but an hour later this stayed at C, and only 8 minutes later this was changed to D. So it looks like the current logic was put in place at that time.

Even that daily sequence doesn't look quite random: for instance, it contains EDCBA twice. That could be a coincidence, although that doesn't seem likely. (But humans are very good at determining ‘randomness’ of such a sequence.)

In conclusion, we're looping! We can now predict the frames that will be shown on the OTC forever, or at least until the GLR (or one of His minions) changes it again.
The schedule is:

14:00 (10 am): B (frame 3091)
15:00 (11 am): A (frame 3090)
16:00 (12 pm): E (frame 3094)
17:00 (1 pm): D (frame 3093)
18:00 (2 pm): C (frame 3092)
19:00 (3 pm): C (frame 3092)
20:00 (4 pm): D (frame 3093)
21:00 (5 pm): C (frame 3092)
22:00 (6 pm): B (frame 3091)
23:00 (7 pm): A (frame 3090)
00:00 (8 pm): B (frame 3091)
01:00 (9 pm): A (frame 3090)

Therefore, I propose a new form of poetry. (No idea what to name it.)
Meter can be anything, but it contains 24 lines, and the rhyme scheme is EDCB AECD AEDC BAED CCDC BABA.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

I saw this today and immediately wondered to myself if Google would make it work for Beanish, too.

histrion wrote:So, to demonstrate my commitment to Apostasy: anyone wanna catch me up on the thread-trends that have sprouted up during my absence? Molpy, otters, and the like? :?

Oh dear. I think your best bet would be to spend some time at the Wiki. There is far to much for any one of us to provide you with a personal ketchup.

Kieryn

Re: Are you happy now, loopists?

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:A recap.

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBA

The schedule is: