1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:14 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Mustard! I broke the wiki!
<snip>
Unfortunately, since I updated the wiki page, none of the images below frame 3 appear for me. And the Edit button won't give me a drop-down menu, so I can't see the history to revert my change. I don't know what's wrong; I hope someone can fix it (or revert it). Sorry!

The page is very large and takes a while to load. It is good to wait for it to load completely before you start to edit it. Some wikis behave badly if you don't do that. I don't know about this one, but it is a safe practice.

As pope, I declare this page to be sticky. If you come here you can't leave.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am UTC

posting from my phone while I turn the internet off and on again. if this doesn't work, it means the letting agency have forgotten that I'm still here (most tenants have left) and disabled it, like they did with the lift. not a happy molpy
He/Him/His Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 am UTC

Hel-G wrote:To all y'all interested in decoding Beanish:

I have left a longish comment on the mysterious Beanish-blog. It is waiting for moderation. Does anyone know who that guy is? (S)He must be a professional in the field of linguistics or one of the most dedicated and knowledgeable amateurs I have ever seen. A seaish amount of analysis has been done over there!

Well they use SinusPi's transliteration, but I guess given their knowledge of wiki stuff, that doesn't actually mean much. Anyone seen any Italians around the thread?

And:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 am UTC

ggh wrote:Poor vegetatiONG
Spoiler:

Ninja'd! How's I miss that in the preview?

Cuz it was an edit. It was there before you posted your ong though, otherwise the edit would have shown and I would have removed it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Just opened another tab in my browser to check out the OtherComic, and caught myself about to type OTC instead of xkcd.

I was also bemused to be seeing 1245 AFTER it had been OTTified by Whizbang!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Ok, I've coma'd and ketchupp'd and.... NEW ONGS!!!!! Did I miss something? Latent22, are you drawing these? DON'T STOP! We need another 3000 newpix; you're up for it, right?

Right?

please?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Where ONG he?
Ooh - is that him halfway up the trunk? I hope that tree knows where it's going!

BTW, did we decide what the significance was of Megan hearing chirps from the night sky and seeing "a few stars flicker"?

As a birder... Most migratng birds do long flights at night (some do it in the day as well). The reason is that they fly at night and feed during the day when they can see.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:58 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I see a little silhouetto of a molpy

Scaramouche, scaramouche will we do some Timewaiting

because it had to be said
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

bob-alONG

(I wasn't doubting your ONG before, Neil - I was just a little ashamed that it took me 4 minutes to think of "vegetationg" and then I wasn't careful enough to make sure there wasn't already an ong there. :oops: )

I believe I now have more ONGs for Latent22's scene than I did for all of the OTC.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I see a little silhouetto of a molpy

Scaramouche, scaramouche will we do some Timewaiting

Newepage and newpix - very lonely waiting me
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
ggh wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Where ONG he?
Ooh - is that him halfway up the trunk? I hope that tree knows where it's going!

BTW, did we decide what the significance was of Megan hearing chirps from the night sky and seeing "a few stars flicker"?

As a birder... Most migratng birds do long flights at night (some do it in the day as well). The reason is that they fly at night and feed during the day when they can see.

So then, GLR wasn't cluing us in to anything to do with the stars; it was just a tip-off to how unfamiliar Cuegan were with birds.
Man, it really does make you wonder what they were eating down there.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:
neopifex wrote:It seems to match up pretty well. I'm thinking all the points are observation towers and/or outposts.

Any thoughts?

It's basic triangulation surveying. Each of those points is where they set up a theodolite to make some measurements.

Hmm. You can do without back azimuths for some of the stations. Some of them might have little more than flagpoles with lights. You need the lights because you do a lot of the observing at night, to get still air (important when measuring angles to the arcsecond!), and to see the stars to determine celestial azimuths.

The Chateau d'If must have commanded an astonishing7 view before the basin reflooded.

I have left a longish comment on the mysterious Beanish-blog. It is waiting for moderation. Does anyone know who that guy is? (S)He must be a professional in the field of linguistics or one of the most dedicated and knowledgeable amateurs I have ever seen. A seaish amount of analysis has been done over there!

Link?
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

I may have been here too long. I follow an aurora photography facebook page, and tonight there was a photo of an Aurora Australis with the Milky Way behind it and the silhouette of a tree in the foreground. I immediately thought "nice OTColourification" and started wondering which newpix it was that had been coloured ... and then realised what it was! :D

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Sorry to disobey your decree, Professor Doctor, but I can't stay awake any longer, and it looks like there are no more frames for Latent22's lovely pricklymolp epilogue.

Molpy down.
Spoiler:
Agatha the Awesomeful

Hel-G

Postby Hel-G » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:

Link?

Let's try... https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/ Seems like I can post links now. Yay!
As you can see, I got a riverish answer with a promise of a more seaish one. The writer of that blog is way above my level, but at least I can read and understand the text. I had to Google "ergative" and "aggluntatveilfygqyisomethingmolpy" though.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

D'awww.. there's no prickly-molp ONG #013.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Blindposting from 10 pages back. I really have to do some outside stuff this week, so my ketchup is slow these days.

There have been so many neat OTTifications and OTColored frames... 7terful.

I also like smolloy's past-posts... it's like re-blitzing in a compressed form.

Valarya wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Still, we need t-shirts ;) . I like it simple. What about something like this:
on the chest, nothing else...

Ninja'd. This is what I've had in mind for quite some time. Something simple with our duo and the title text to 'Wait for It.' I think it would be neat to have several frame-options done simply as well, so when I'm out of work I'll pull up some of the ones I've been thinking about. Image

My favorite t-shirt suggestion. Super simple. The essence of xkcd and of the beginning of Time.
It's cooler up here.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Professor, one of our scouts has found the unaccounted tribe. They are currently at a safe area south from here.
Farrah slowly raised her head from the huge book she was reading.
[...]
Yay! I wondered if we'd see any more of your tale!
AluisioASG wrote:
The room's climate had suddenly become more intimate. But before anything else could happen, a bald, pale guy carrying a suitcase entered the room.
Don't it always happen that way! :)

neopifex wrote:I think I may have figured out what was on the map the Beanies showed Cuegan on their way to the castle
Spoiler:
(Frame 2803: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=2803). If someone has already figured this out, I apologize in advance, but I haven't seen it in the time I've been active here.

I tried matching up the Beanie map with the area around the Strait of Gibraltar, but couldn't find a good enough match. It came close, but too many things were off. I also tried matching it with the Mediterranean coast from Marseille to Spain, but that didn't work either. Then I noticed that one point that four straight lines led to and had a brainstorm: What if that point is the castle? I put that point on Chateau d'If and rotated and resized the map many times, and then, voilà!

It seems to match up pretty well. I'm thinking all the points are observation towers and/or outposts.
Any thoughts?
This is absolutely brilliant. How did this escape all of us! I pronounce you as Baobabish - you really know what you're doing!

And back to the five of cups - an alternative is to have the main character be the Cuegan, turning away from five OTTers (cups with hats), instead of an OTTer turning away. Kind of reminiscent of how the the Voldeframe felt.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Hel-G wrote:
AnotherKevin wrote:

Link?

Let's try... https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/ Seems like I can post links now. Yay!
As you can see, I got a riverish answer with a promise of a more seaish one. The writer of that blog is way above my level, but at least I can read and understand the text. I had to Google "ergative" and "aggluntatveilfygqyisomethingmolpy" though.

This blog is not mine, but i have redirected http://translatebeanish.com/ to point at it so that it is easier to remember. If you own the blog, and you're not happy about this, drop me a PM and I will remove the redirect.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.

The 5 places I had in mind were:

USA, west coast (San Francisco?)
USA, east coast (NYC?)
Europe (Marseille. Of course)
South America (?)
australia (?)

Of course the exact locations/cities might be adjusted depending on proximity / level of interest, and maybe we could add one or two more.

For the date, I suggest the anniversary of The End (July 26th 2014) with something like this timing to avoid the 4am curse.

I'm suggesting the end rather than the beginning because July tends to be more a time of year for traveling and such anyway.

Let me know what y'all think. If there isn't too much objection, I will start setting something up more official. The earlier it's planned the better the chance of people showing up IMO

Well obviously we should meet in southern France :wink: anyone out there an eccentric billionaire? I would say that the meetups should be on/by the beach, but if we wanted to all meet up at the same time, midnight wouldn't be a very good time to be on the beach.

edit: oops, I suggested google hangouts but missed that kieryn specifically mentions skype in his post, reading fail :oops: .
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:I may have been here too long. I follow an aurora photography facebook page, and tonight there was a photo of an Aurora Australis with the Milky Way behind it and the silhouette of a tree in the foreground. I immediately thought "nice OTColourification" and started wondering which newpix it was that had been coloured ... and then realised what it was! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.

Well obviously we should meet in southern France :wink: anyone out there an eccentric billionaire? I would say that the meetups should be on/by the beach, but if we wanted to all meet up at the same time, midnight wouldn't be a very good time to be on the beach.

Unless we want to watch the stars...

The beach would be perfect - we could build a seaish sandcastle!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Ok, I think I've come to terms well enough with T** E** that I can bear to write (and post) this. So here it is:

Frames of Time
Based on the choral version of Fields of Gold
Spoiler:
You'll be there with me when the timer ONGs
As we await the newpix
You'll forget the sun in his Outside sky
As we Wait for frames of Time.

So we Blitz the Thread, free of heresy
And seeing every newpix;
And the thread it grows fifty thousand posts
While we Wait for frames of Time.

Will you wait with me, will you read my posts
For each upcoming newpix
We're the Hatted Ones, we're the Timewaiters
We must Wait for frames of Time!

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear, in the days still left
I will wait for frames of Time
I will wait for frames of Time.

Ooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.

Now the end has come to those carefree days
Of waiting for the newpix
See the OTTers run, as the sun goes down
Upon the frames of Time

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
I will wait in the Thread of Time
I will wait in the Thread of Time!

You'll remember us, when the hour strikes
And it's the time for newpix
Don't forget the ONG, or the OTT
As we pass through frames of time
As we pass through frames of Time.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

It's been a while since I've been around for a peep.
I decided to try my hand at an OTTification of Coldplay's Clocks:

Spoiler:
"Clocks"

The words come out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to race against
Have brought me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead, singing

Can't come out of things unsaid
Post a pic all color-ed and a
New song that can't be named
A molpy's waiting to be tamed, singing

You are
You are

Confusion never stops
Closing walls and ticking clocks
Gonna come back and read me home
I could not stop that you now know, singing

Pour out upon my seas
Cursed missed opportunities
Am I a part of the thread?
Or am I trapped in "Outsidese"? Singing

You are, you are, you are
You are, you are, you are

And nothing else compares
Oh nothing else compares
And nothing else compares

You are
You are

Time, time where I wanted to go

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

@airdrik - Very beautiful adaptation of Clocks. Like unto a tree.

@taixzo - Frames of Time is very touching... especially the line:
"And the thread it grows fifty thousand posts"
With that line, and its placement in the song, the impact of what has grown here sank in. Wow.

Is that your choir? Do you sing?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

superluminal wrote:
jovialbard wrote:

Unless we want to watch the stars...

The beach would be perfect - we could build a seaish sandcastle!

Yes yes yes!

And actually, I had an awesome related idea - I was actually plotting to do this myself, but it would be best for a meetup on the beach I think:

Using the terrain data, some spirit-levels, some careful planning (including picking the right spot - somewhere flattish) we sculpt in the sand a large scale model (depending on the number of people available, maybe like 5x5 meters) of the Mediterranean (with height exaggerated for aesthetic and practical reasons. West will point out in the direction of the sea, meaning that when the tide comes in (yes, we'd plan for that too, giving us just several hours for the complete construction) it breaches the Strait of Gibraltar giving us our own mini Zanclean flood. We would of course film the whole process -- timelapse the construction, and then show the flood real time, (or even better, in slow-motion)

The ideal place for this, is somewhere where there is a strong tide, a flat beach (just below the high-tide point) and where the sea is pretty still (protected from the ocean waves like an estuary, or small sea inlet. My personal choice was going to be the long island sound, but any estuary on the Atlantic I'm sure would be fine.

ETA: Actually, maybe a crowd sourced fundraiser for this might actually be successful? Thoughts?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jowo

Postby jowo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Regarding the Beanish blogger....

Kazza3 wrote:Well they use SinusPi's transliteration, but I guess given their knowledge of wiki stuff, that doesn't actually mean much. Anyone seen any Italians around the thread?

Might be this person. Seems to have the right background. Here he is again, methinks.

ETA link to the blog.
Last edited by jowo on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about Time....

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@airdrik - Very beautiful adaptation of Clocks. Like unto a tree.

@taixzo - Frames of Time is very touching... especially the line:
"And the thread it grows fifty thousand posts"
With that line, and its placement in the song, the impact of what has grown here sank in. Wow.

Is that your choir? Do you sing?

Jose

Thank you! I do sing in a choir, but not this one; to my knowledge, there are no videos of my choir on youtube. But, this is one of my favorite songs to sing.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

I continue to be awed and thrilled by the level of creativity in this thread. Fabulous new OTTificational filks, and gorgeous colorizations, and wonderful new takes on OTC frames! Thank you all...

And so today I offer the latest of my "last OTT filk:"

"WOWtree Wood (This Comic Has Flown)"
(to the tune of "Norwegian Wood (This Girl has Flown") by the Beatles)

I once had a thread, or should I say, it once had me...
It showed me some posts; Aren't they all good, like WOWtree wood?

They asked me to stay and they told me to post anywhere,
So I looked around and I created my own things to share.

I joked and I hugged, talking 'bout Time, and it was so fine.
With frames that were new: things to be read, 'til coma in bed.

I loved all the filks, the stories, the pictures, and graphs.
The humor, the science, the fine arts, and even the math!

And then I awoke, I was alone -- the comic had flown,
But still I'll remember: Wasn't it good, like WOWtree wood?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Hel-G

Postby Hel-G » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

jowo wrote:Regarding the Beanish blogger....

Kazza3 wrote:Well they use SinusPi's transliteration, but I guess given their knowledge of wiki stuff, that doesn't actually mean much. Anyone seen any Italians around the thread?

Might be this person. Seems to have the right background. Here he is again, methinks.

That seems to be him. Neatly found! Well, there is no doubt he has the right qualifications... I should probably just step back and leave the task to the professsionals! Since the base language most likely isn't French, I doubt I have much to contribute. We'll see.

PeterSheil

Postby PeterSheil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Just popping by to say:
1. I thought the original Time comic was quite zen like ... and moved on.
2. I thought it strange that the "Time" thread here was so active but never went there - I rarely visit the fora.
3. Discovered what was happening about a week ago, so saw the ending of time.
4. Have now reactivated my account here to say 'thank you' to everyone here who added stuff to the OTW and the image viewers so that us late-comers have a hope of understanding what is / was going on.

Cheers
Peter
Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:I would post more often but I don't know how to clever.

if you say enough random nonsense, eventually someone will think you are clever. That's basically the entire premise of the internet as far as I can tell.

Sir Comeforants, Knight Temporal from in the past

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:I continue to be awed and thrilled by the level of creativity in this thread. Fabulous new OTTificational filks, and gorgeous colorizations, and wonderful new takes on OTC frames! Thank you all...

Spoiler:

As an American I appreciate the use of the term math, but must concede that in this case it would be better written as maths :wink: (because it rhymes with graphs and because of course you sing this with a british accent). Also, quite lovely.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Kinda lame, but it's the best I can do while my wife yells at me to get off the Internet and clean the house.

Lame Spoiler is Lame:
Spoiler:
Working for the OTT.png

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I continue to be awed and thrilled by the level of creativity in this thread. Fabulous new OTTificational filks, and gorgeous colorizations, and wonderful new takes on OTC frames! Thank you all...

Spoiler:

As an American I appreciate the use of the term math, but must concede that in this case it would be better written as maths :wink: (because it rhymes with graphs and because of course you sing this with a british accent)

Well, quite true, and I am an American in the heart of Midwestern flyover country twang. But John Lennon crawled off to sleep in the bath, not the "baths", so I must acquiesce to the original lyrics... :wink:

ETA: Also, I'll edit to say "Thank you" to the compliment you added in YOUR edit. :D
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

@Latent22: Amazing new ONGS! Want more! Please?

@neopifex: Great work with the map. A mistery solved!

@whizbang: Thanks for the wowterful amount of creativity and humor you displayed the last few days!

And all y'all: Each new dix is the best in the OTT!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

@Latent22: Thanks for the pricklyONGs! It's nice to see our pricklymolp found his very own raft...
@taixzo: Wowterful "Frames of Time!" I've been Waiting for somebody to ottify that one. :)
@airdrik: Welcome back! Treeish ottification ("Outsidese," brilliant :D).
@StratPlayer: "WOWtree Wood" is very steakish*!
@Whizbang: I'm loving all the new OTTercomics you've been posting!

*Well-done
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

PeterSheil wrote:Just popping by to say:
1. I thought the original Time comic was quite zen like ... and moved on.
2. I thought it strange that the "Time" thread here was so active but never went there - I rarely visit the fora.
3. Discovered what was happening about a week ago, so saw the ending of time.
4. Have now reactivated my account here to say 'thank you' to everyone here who added stuff to the OTW and the image viewers so that us late-comers have a hope of understanding what is / was going on.

Cheers
Peter

Welcome, Peter, to the weird and wonderful world of the One True Thread. Look around, have a piece of cake.... before you know it you'll be an OTTer yourself!

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Welcome, Peter! Have some RELATED cake:

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
neopifex wrote:I think I may have figured out what was on the map the Beanies showed Cuegan on their way to the castle
Spoiler:
(Frame 2803: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=2803). If someone has already figured this out, I apologize in advance, but I haven't seen it in the time I've been active here.

I tried matching up the Beanie map with the area around the Strait of Gibraltar, but couldn't find a good enough match. It came close, but too many things were off. I also tried matching it with the Mediterranean coast from Marseille to Spain, but that didn't work either. Then I noticed that one point that four straight lines led to and had a brainstorm: What if that point is the castle? I put that point on Chateau d'If and rotated and resized the map many times, and then, voilà!

It seems to match up pretty well. I'm thinking all the points are observation towers and/or outposts.
Any thoughts?
This is absolutely brilliant. How did this escape all of us! I pronounce you as Baobabish - you really know what you're doing!

Ha ha! Thanks! :D
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Nice OTTification, StratPlayer. One of my favorite songs, too. I was singing along in my head as I read it. :)
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”