1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

smolloy wrote:P98:
Spoiler:
jtomjack wrote:
pdg wrote:
jtomjack wrote:So what did she get in her mouth, Salt water, sand, or semen? Or bacon?

A sea of bacon? How do I get to this magical place? HOW DO I GET THERE!?

On the other hand, a sea of semen...ewww. :shock:

You have to swim through the sea of semen to reach the sea of bacon

Bluerch. The deep-past is an icky place.

Was that before or after we added babies, coffee, and ice to the mix?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

This OTThercomic takes on another meaning if you see Cueball as an author-insertion persona.
Spoiler:
im_sorry.png

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:But I really enjoyed the ones in Portuguese. It's funny, I can sort of almost read it because it's sort of almost like Spanish, but then I can't, because it isn't. (Did that make sense?)

Por mí cuello, sí.

OK, neither the wiki page nor Google translate is helping me to get this. It says that "Por mí cuello" is "Down my neck," and that "coelho" is rabbit. :? If it's a joke that I would get if I'm fluent in Spanish, I should point out that I am SO not fluent in Spanish. :)

The point is, these words are false friends, and the languages themselves are somewhat similar, so if one of these languages is native to you, and you're e.g. listening to something in the other language without paying attention, your brain may do a context switch in the middle of the sentence and you end up understanding something like “wrapped a rope around his rabbit” instead of “wrapped a rope around his neck”.

lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And I think you really wanted to stay here with us, and that's why you missed your bus. :)

Be it by chance or design, I'm glad I missed it. The downside is that, when I arrived home, it was past midnight.

Glad you made it home, finally!

That's the problem of having two homes. Rephrasing:
AluisioASG wrote:The downside is that, when I arrived at my temporary living place, it was past midnight.

But yeah, I was able to catch another bus the day after.

And a question: are y'll comfortable with a Memento-esque storytelling?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:But I really enjoyed the ones in Portuguese. It's funny, I can sort of almost read it because it's sort of almost like Spanish, but then I can't, because it isn't. (Did that make sense?)

Por mí cuello, sí.

OK, neither the wiki page nor Google translate is helping me to get this. It says that "Por mí cuello" is "Down my neck," and that "coelho" is rabbit. :? If it's a joke that I would get if I'm fluent in Spanish, I should point out that I am SO not fluent in Spanish. :)

The point is, these words are false friends, and the languages themselves are somewhat similar, so if one of these languages is native to you, and you're e.g. listening to something in the other language without paying attention, your brain may do a context switch in the middle of the sentence and you end up understanding something like “wrapped a rope around his rabbit” instead of “wrapped a rope around his neck”.

lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And I think you really wanted to stay here with us, and that's why you missed your bus. :)

Be it by chance or design, I'm glad I missed it. The downside is that, when I arrived home, it was past midnight.

Glad you made it home, finally!

That's the problem of having two homes. Rephrasing:
AluisioASG wrote:The downside is that, when I arrived at my temporary living place, it was past midnight.

But yeah, I was able to catch another bus the day after.

And a question: are y'll comfortable with a Memento-esque storytelling?

Now that's an idea...retell time backwards, as if Cuegan forget what happened every 10 frames or so...adding a frame in every so often to make the conceit work....
It'd be interesting, at least. "why are we running again?"

On second thought, not sure we could make that work...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

I passed a RandallRaptor out on my bike todip (whilst escaping the aforementioned internet loss). If that's not RELATED, I don't know what is.
He/Him/His Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

airdrik's sig wrote:@smolloy: do not dispair, this thread will keep going for quite some time (though it may be slowing down a bit, but that will only help with your noble blitz-quest). Blitz well, friend; we look forward to your arrival in the present!

Many thanks airdrik. Many thanks! (P101)
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Re: 1190: "Time" and Math

Postby Flado » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:Math in and of itself is an abstraction. It doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot until you apply it to physics, or chemistry, or statistics, or what have you.

Your first statement is unquestionably true. However, the second would not be recognized by most mathematicians. There is a sub-field (applied math) for which this is true, but for most of us, math makes sense entirely on its own. I was surprised when told (several years later) that someone found a use for my thesis results.

Early math and some current math was inspired by physical phenomena, but we have abstracted that away entirely. A theorem in math is (known to be) true if it can be proved from the axioms chosen at the beginning. QED. End of story. Otherwise it may be false, unknown, or even undeterminable (deep stuff there).

Physics, on the other hand, depends on verifiable and repeatable observations of the real world. A theory in physics is "accepted" if it conforms with observation and it leads to predictions of the real world that turn out to be verified in the observations. (Note that I didn't say "turns out to be true". It is more subtle than that.) Physical theories are never perfect. Newton's law of gravity was true as far as it was possible to make observations/measurements at that time. But certain things could not be predicted in Newton's laws, which led to a long search (and much failure) and eventually Einstein's relativity theory - a refinement of Newton. It lets us make more and better predictions that conform to the observable results of experiment.

Mathematics has theorems. Physics has theories. Not the same.
Mathematical theorems are true, false, unknown, or indeterminate. Physics has theories that conform to observation or they are either rejected or refined.

On the other hand, physics gives mathematicians something to abstract over and mathematics gives physicists tools to aid their observations (especially their measurements).

This, prof. dr. charlie_grumbles, was beautiful. I have long sought words to concisely describe the distinction between science and mathematics, and at long last I find them here. Thank you.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

I passed a RandallRaptor out on my bike todip (whilst escaping the aforementioned internet loss). If that's not RELATED, I don't know what is.

There was a striking RandallRaptor that lived in the park near my old apartment - I saw it a couple of Times, but it was quite aloof.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Old ketchup part 2 (I could probably find an image of old ketchup, but that sounds nasty.)

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for the kind words, everyone (ggh, lmjb1964, k.bookbinder, Jose, pelrigg, anybody I missed) - I'm fine, just learned that I'm going to have to find more income somewhere, so that means hunting for a better job or working more hours, both of which are Time-consuming activities that won't leave me as much freedom to hang around on the OTT. Still love you all! Image

Well, that still sucks, but I'm glad it wasn't any sort of catastrophic thing. Good luck! A woman with your talents and awesomeness should be able to get a job doing any damn thing she wants.

BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote: I've never felt like I've done anything worthy of being "knighted" for, so I've never asked. (Just like I never felt I was good enough one of buffygirl's hats.)
Any way, good luck with your journey in the Outside. Remember there's a spot near the fire with your name on it. We'll keep warm and brushed off, show up when you can....
MOLPY UP! BlitzGirl,, Molpy Up.

:) Oh?

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, pelrigg, the Knighthood Temporal (whether you like it or not), in recognition of the founding of the Beanish terminology, "You're a molpy!", and a warmly encouraging yet OTTerly humble soul! Molpy up, and continue Waiting for it!

Thanks for taking care of that, BlitzGirl. And I just want to add, pelrigg, that it's really funny to hear you say that you're surprised to be noticed, and that you don't feel worthy of hats or knighthood. To me, you're a member of the tribe. Why on earth would you think you would not be noticed? Silly pelrigg. (Although apparently I STILL want to write your name as "perlrigg." :) )

Re: a meetup. I called for this mips ago, and would totally be down. I think it makes sense to go with the date Kieryn suggested; we'd probably want to do it on the anniversary of either the start or end of Time, and more people are probably free in July. (Although some folks might have spring break in March.) The problem for me is that I'm likely to be in a show or two at that time. I might be able to get a sub for a night, but it would be difficult for me to travel any further than San Francisco. Of course, I don't know for sure that I'll be doing a show, but it's pretty likely. If it was in San Fran, that could work.

This brings me to something else I've been thinking about. There was that map--Kieryn, did you put that up?--that showed where all the TimeWaiters were. But I always thought it would be 4 (that is "neat," right?) to have a map that showed who was where. And now we have the FB page, and it's really cool seeing people's names and faces, but I'm not always sure who's who. So, I was thinking that it would be great if there was some way those who wanted to could put themselves on a map with their user name, and real name if they wanted to. That way we could see who was where. When it came time to plan a meetup, we could look at the list of those who are interested, and figure out the most useful places to hold them. Does that make sense? I kinda feel like I'm rambling, so I'll stop now. :)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
smolloy wrote:P98:
Spoiler:
jtomjack wrote:
pdg wrote:
jtomjack wrote:So what did she get in her mouth, Salt water, sand, or semen? Or bacon?

A sea of bacon? How do I get to this magical place? HOW DO I GET THERE!?

On the other hand, a sea of semen...ewww. :shock:

You have to swim through the sea of semen to reach the sea of bacon

Bluerch. The deep-past is an icky place.

Was that before or after we added babies, coffee, and ice to the mix?

At the moment (in the deep-past), it's either water, semen, coffee, caffeinated semen, semenated caffeine, or oobleck. :lol:
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

ONG the move

ETA
ucim wrote:And back to the five of cups - an alternative is to have the main character be the Cuegan, turning away from five OTTers (cups with hats), instead of an OTTer turning away. Kind of reminiscent of how the the Voldeframe felt.

I like making the character us, because a big part of the five of cups is that only three of the cups are spilled, and if the character just looked around, he'd see the two full cups. We felt stunned at the loss of the OTC because of the pacing, and out of habit, and it made it hard to appreciate that we got to watch a great story with an uplifting ending, we still have a fun community, and if the thread slows down, we can get back hours every day to do other cool things without always worrying about ketchup. Losing ONGs is a loss, but it is not all loss. (Gee, if I go by my own description, maybe it should be two spilled cups and three full ones.)

I'll make a draft as soon as I can scrape a dejected stick figure out of the other comics and figure out what to put on its head, hopefully this weekend. I know that doesn't seem like much work, but picture doing this while an 11-month-old cries whenever she is not pounding the leopard.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:This brings me to something else I've been thinking about. There was that map--Kieryn, did you put that up?--that showed where all the TimeWaiters were. But I always thought it would be 4 (that is "neat," right?) to have a map that showed who was where. And now we have the FB page, and it's really cool seeing people's names and faces, but I'm not always sure who's who. So, I was thinking that it would be great if there was some way those who wanted to could put themselves on a map with their user name, and real name if they wanted to. That way we could see who was where. When it came time to plan a meetup, we could look at the list of those who are interested, and figure out the most useful places to hold them. Does that make sense? I kinda feel like I'm rambling, so I'll stop now. :)

It shouldn't take me more than one hour to create something for it.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Re: 1190: "Time" Literary Analytical Interlude

Postby Flado » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

on NP833, ttscp wrote:Of course, I'm also a person who stays up all night to finish a book (not every book, but many, especially Pratchett, or Cherryh), or to watch all the episodes of Firefly.

ttscp, are you... me? Can't be, I always hated literary analyses. Hm...
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Nice first OTTification, jeffallen55! I think it's the first gospel ottification we've had.

Second, as far as I can tell, after mscha's Wade in the Water. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=48160#p3417855

Third, actually, and the second of Go Down Moses. Mine was from just before Megan and Cueball started running, when it was pretty clear what they were thinking.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

This thread may come to resemble "MS fnd in a Lbry", a short story I read many years ago, and have (ironically) spent many hours since searching for...

BTW, I was reminded of this by a recent article I read about the ability to send more information over fiber optic lines by using optical vortices.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:This thread may come to resemble "MS fnd in a Lbry", a short story I read many years ago, and have (ironically) spent many hours since searching for...

The title sounds like what happened briefly with the first papal decree of Nwpg 874. I hope we learned that lesson...
(Will read the story when I have more Time - molpying off to attend to Outside matters.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
bmonk wrote:This thread may come to resemble "MS fnd in a Lbry", a short story I read many years ago, and have (ironically) spent many hours since searching for...

The title sounds like what happened briefly with the first papal decree of Nwpg 874. I hope we learned that lesson...
(Will read the story when I have more Time - molpying off to attend to Outside matters.)

That is but one development--and not the heart of the problem . . .
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
on NP833, ttscp wrote:Of course, I'm also a person who stays up all night to finish a book (not every book, but many, especially Pratchett, or Cherryh), or to watch all the episodes of Firefly.

It seems like ttscp is me, as well!
(Except, I'm not sure I've read anything by Cherryh.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Flado wrote:

Hmmm. I don't think so. Pats self. Checks location. I seem to be still lost in thought, somewhere around the present, not schizo-blitzing back on NP833. (Schizo yes; blitzing no.)
On the other hand, I approve of your taste in books. Perhaps we are twins?

taixzo wrote: seems like ttscp is me as well

Wait. Now I'm triplets? No, can't be, I've read practically everything by Cherryh. Before Pratchett, which rules out time travel paradoxes, I think.

Edit: remove extra square bracket. Dangerous to leave those open.
Last edited by ttscp on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Time For Some Good News!

Been a while since this image was posted hasn't it?

Also, this is not really documented anywhere, but for plain text forum data:

Index of posts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/Posts

Index of quote-links:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/QuoteLinks

Plain text of any single post (quoted text removed)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/PostText/3428071

This is the last data-update I'm doing to the site in it's current incarnation. I will be reworking a version 2 of the entire site which I will publish when it's done. Might be a few weeks for that.
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

It took 103 pages, but now I finally understand why you guys (in the present) use that word...
Spoiler:
Tophe wrote:
Zindaras wrote:
trusstopher wrote:
Reka wrote:
Zindaras wrote:I wonder if the flags are made out of sand.

They can't be: we saw Megan carrying them around in 163.

But they could be made of ice...... :twisted:

I just want it to be clear that I am a Sandist. I do not subscribe to Iceism.

Ah, but where do you stand on java/lava/bacon/semencancercaffeinebabies?

This is the first mention of semencancercaffeinebabies that I've seen so far. Another defining moment in Time!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

All GONG!

And that is the last prickly ONG for now sorry.

And I mustarded up 3 ONG's

Spoiler:

Someone who posted in the past while I was sleeping may be able to retro edit them back into the right time though
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Image

Shiny! And I've reached my age-rank in the credits.
There is an absolute sea of single posters at the bottom of that list. A lot of OTTers have made this what it is.
He/Him/His Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:All GONG!

Please, please, please keep the newONGs coming.... I don't think anyone expects one an hour, but a couple a day would be GREAT....

<still in ONG withdrawal>
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:The point is, these words are false friends, and the languages themselves are somewhat similar, so if one of these languages is native to you, and you're e.g. listening to something in the other language without paying attention, your brain may do a context switch in the middle of the sentence and you end up understanding something like “wrapped a rope around his rabbit” instead of “wrapped a rope around his neck”.
Yes, but as soon as I realize that doesn't make sense, my mind instantly switches the words, so I get the correct translation "wrapped a dope around his rabbit" and the song makes sense again. :)

ggh wrote:I like making the character us, because a big part of the five of cups is that only three of the cups are spilled, and if the character just looked around, he'd see the two full cups.
Yes, I see where you're coming from. I wonder if the spilled cups could be Megan, Cue, and LaPetite. The unspilled ones be Chateau d' Whatif, and wherever they landed. It's the future we all carry with us.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Image

4! I've shot all the way up to 9th!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Since the deep past has some mathematical discussion concerning prime newpix, I offer some lame mathematician jokes:

An engineer, a physicist and a mathematician were asked to hammer a nail into a wall.
The engineer went to build a Universal Automatic Nailer -- a device able to hammer every possible nail into every possible wall.
The physicist conducted series of experiments on strength of hammers, nails, and walls and developed a revolutionary technology of ultra-sonic nail hammering at super-low temperature.
The mathematician generalized the problem to a N dimensional problem of penetration of a knotted one dimensional nail into a N-1 dimensional hyper-wall. Several fundamental theorems are proved. Of course, the problem is too rich to suggest a possibility of a simple solution, even the existence of a solution is far from obvious.

An engineer and a topologist were locked in the rooms for a day with a can of food but without an opener. At the end of the day, the engineer is sitting on the floor of his room and eating from the open can: He threw it against the walls until it cracked open. In the mathematician's room, the can is still closed but the mathematician has disappeared. There are strange noises coming from inside the can... When it is opened and the mathematician crawls out. "Damn! I got a sign wrong..."

An engineer, a physicist and a mathematician find themselves in an anecdote, indeed an anecdote quite similar to many that you have no doubt already heard. After some observations and rough calculations the engineer realizes the situation and starts laughing. A few minutes later the physicist understands too and chuckles to himself happily as he now has enough experimental evidence to publish a paper.

This leaves the mathematician somewhat perplexed, as he had observed right away that he was the subject of an anecdote, and deduced quite rapidly the presence of humor from similar anecdotes, but considers this anecdote to be too trivial a corollary to be significant, let alone funny.

dawnfire

Postby dawnfire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Ok, I think I've come to terms well enough with T** E** that I can bear to write (and post) this. So here it is:

Frames of Time
Based on the choral version of Fields of Gold
Spoiler:
You'll be there with me when the timer ONGs
As we await the newpix
You'll forget the sun in his Outside sky
As we Wait for frames of Time.

So we Blitz the Thread, free of heresy
And seeing every newpix;
And the thread it grows fifty thousand posts
While we Wait for frames of Time.

Will you wait with me, will you read my posts
For each upcoming newpix
We're the Hatted Ones, we're the Timewaiters
We must Wait for frames of Time!

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear, in the days still left
I will wait for frames of Time
I will wait for frames of Time.

Ooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.

Now the end has come to those carefree days
Of waiting for the newpix
See the OTTers run, as the sun goes down
Upon the frames of Time

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
I will wait in the Thread of Time
I will wait in the Thread of Time!

You'll remember us, when the hour strikes
And it's the time for newpix
Don't forget the ONG, or the OTT
As we pass through frames of time
As we pass through frames of Time.

Wonderful! A great song, perfectly OTTified. One to remember!

@airdrik - another great OTTification.

Inspired to write another myself. Hope you like this:

We Must Be Strong
An ottification of You Must Love Me by Madonna (from Evita)

Where do we go from here?
This isn't where we intended to be
We had it all, with the OTC
We had Megan and Cue

Spoiler:
Certainties disappear
What do we do for our thread to survive?
How do we keep all our blitzers alive, as we used to do?

Deep in my heart, I'm concerned now
Things may not stay the same way
Dare to believe we can somehow
Keep this from going astray

We must be strong
We must be strong

"Why are we all still here?"
"How can this be any use to us now?"
Give it a chance, and I think you will see *nothing has changed*

Deep in my heart, I've a feeling
Things could just turn out okay
Colorizations appealing
Brilliance on display

We must be strong
We must be strong
We must be strong

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Sorry, this ketchup post is quite seaish. There's just so much to comment on! I tried to spoiler things so it wasn't so overwhelming. And once again, Preview was my friend. :)

Aluisio, I missed some of your story. Is the whole story stored somewhere?

neopifex wrote:I think I may have figured out what was on the map the Beanies showed Cuegan on their way to the castle
Spoiler:
(Frame 2803: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=2803). If someone has already figured this out, I apologize in advance, but I haven't seen it in the time I've been active here.

I tried matching up the Beanie map with the area around the Strait of Gibraltar, but couldn't find a good enough match. It came close, but too many things were off. I also tried matching it with the Mediterranean coast from Marseille to Spain, but that didn't work either. Then I noticed that one point that four straight lines led to and had a brainstorm: What if that point is the castle? I put that point on Chateau d'If and rotated and resized the map many times, and then, voilà!

Wow, neopifex, I'd say that lines up pretty chirping well.

superluminal wrote:
I wrote:I suggest a new word to OTTish: to surf (the thread) = after a ketchup or blitz, you refresh the page and continue reading. If there's a good wave of posts, you can have more than 4 new posts easily, sometimes even a new page!

...and if someone did this at the time of The Frame 3094, that would have been surfing the Zanclean flood. (Yes, sounds pretty dangerous.)

I like the idea of surfing the thread. Good one! :D (But in case someone else hasn't posted this, avoid using red font in your posts. That's saved for the mods. Although yours is more maroon. Not sure if that counts or not.)

ggh wrote:Oh, and that blood spatter reminds me: Dex, I love your avatar! I hope you get a chance to ottify that song sometime. I'm already imagining humming along to "I'm Mister Sea Bringer. I'm Mister Wet. I'm Mister Map-changer. I'm Mister Deep-as-you-get. Friends call me Flood Miser...."

Nice to see someone else knows that!

DrSamCarter wrote:I may have been here too long. I follow an aurora photography facebook page, and tonight there was a photo of an Aurora Australis with the Milky Way behind it and the silhouette of a tree in the foreground. I immediately thought "nice OTColourification" and started wondering which newpix it was that had been coloured ... and then realised what it was! :D

hahahahaha

Kieryn wrote:
superluminal wrote:<snip>The beach would be perfect - we could build a seaish sandcastle!

Yes yes yes!

And actually, I had an awesome related idea - I was actually plotting to do this myself, but it would be best for a meetup on the beach I think:
Spoiler:
Using the terrain data, some spirit-levels, some careful planning (including picking the right spot - somewhere flattish) we sculpt in the sand a large scale model (depending on the number of people available, maybe like 5x5 meters) of the Mediterranean (with height exaggerated for aesthetic and practical reasons. West will point out in the direction of the sea, meaning that when the tide comes in (yes, we'd plan for that too, giving us just several hours for the complete construction) it breaches the Strait of Gibraltar giving us our own mini Zanclean flood. We would of course film the whole process -- timelapse the construction, and then show the flood real time, (or even better, in slow-motion)

The ideal place for this, is somewhere where there is a strong tide, a flat beach (just below the high-tide point) and where the sea is pretty still (protected from the ocean waves like an estuary, or small sea inlet. My personal choice was going to be the long island sound, but any estuary on the Atlantic I'm sure would be fine.

ETA: Actually, maybe a crowd sourced fundraiser for this might actually be successful? Thoughts?

7! 4 idea!

Taixzo, "Frames of Times" was just beautiful.

StratPlayer, nice job with "Wowtree Wood."! I knew that you couldn't stop. And in case you haven't noticed, you're not alone.

Wait, jovialbard says something about you singing it with a British accent. Did you record it?

And re: "I'm Free": Yeah, well, keep up with the "it's all over" stuff, and you may end up being not-free in the basement. :twisted:

PeterSheil wrote:Just popping by to say:
Spoiler:
1. I thought the original Time comic was quite zen like ... and moved on.
2. I thought it strange that the "Time" thread here was so active but never went there - I rarely visit the fora.
3. Discovered what was happening about a week ago, so saw the ending of time.
4. Have now reactivated my account here to say 'thank you' to everyone here who added stuff to the OTW and the image viewers so that us late-comers have a hope of understanding what is / was going on.

Cheers
Peter

Hi! Thanks for popping in! Come by again sometime.

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Kinda lame, but it's the best I can do while my wife yells at me to get off the Internet and clean the house.

If by "lame" you mean "awesomeful," I would agree.

charlie_grumbles, I am loving your new scenes with the taco shack, etc. But did you mean desert, or dessert? :)

Dracomax, your filk was lovely but so sad. For me, giving up on the OTT sounds a little too close to heresy. Do you need a little of your own inquisitioning? :) Or maybe you just need a hug. *hugs*

yappobiscuits wrote:Image
Re. Meetup: Hmm. Even better idea! I'll build an airship. A really big one. Then I'll go around the world picking everyone up and we'll have a huge OTT party in the skies.

Yes! Love it. By the way, that reminds me of some books I never got to recommend because I missed that page: The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Also his Nursery Crimes series.

Loved the OTTherComic, HES!

smolloy wrote:In case you were curious (P88):
daef wrote:just for reference...: a light-newpix is 539626424400 meters...

Having popped back to the future for a bit, it looks like the OTT is slowly withering... Say it ain't so!
It sure would be sad to get to the future several Outside months from now to find I have been the only one posing for several newpages!!!

Ha! Tell that to all the work I'm not getting done while I try to ketchup! :(

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Aww, Squirpy and Prickly! I sort of ship them now. In a weird interspecies way.

Eh, that's not much weirder than an incestual Cuegan. And it's cute!
Spoiler:

(This is a Russian postcard, apparently.)

:shock: How did you manage to find a prickly-squirpy-love postcard?

So, is latent22 doing the pricklyONGs? That is so treeish! Yay! New ONGs!

superluminal wrote:I just made two Spotify playlists for your enjoyment. Well, at least I had fun creating them:

I've never used Spotify. Maybe I'll check it out.

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And Hel-G, I enjoyed yours. My favorite lines were:
og Cue og Megan, og Herren Randall
Den store molpy, trær og molp-linger
I just love seeing the OTTish in with the Norwegian. And i think I'll refer to him as Herren Randall now. :lol:

Spoiler:
Redundant:

GreatHerrenRandall.png

Keywords: great herren heron randall GLR BGUM bird Norwegian
redundant76.png

:lol:
BlitzGirl, is "Rest with Me Here" an original poem? It's beautiful!

On "false friends" in language:
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Por mí cuello, sí.

Haha, got it.

AluisioASG wrote:And a question: are y'll comfortable with a Memento-esque storytelling?

I still haven't seen Memento, though I'd really like to. Go for it!

On gospel ottifications:
Spoiler:
Rule110 wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Nice first OTTification, jeffallen55! I think it's the first gospel ottification we've had.

Second, as far as I can tell, after mscha's Wade in the Water. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=48160#p3417855

Third, actually, and the second of Go Down Moses. Mine was from just before Megan and Cueball started running, when it was pretty clear what they were thinking.

So hard to keep track after 50,000 posts!

Kieryn wrote:Time For Some Good News!
Spoiler:

Also, this is not really documented anywhere, but for plain text forum data:

Index of posts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/Posts

Index of quote-links:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/QuoteLinks

Plain text of any single post (quoted text removed)
http://localhost:52695/PlainApi/PostText/3428071

This is the last data-update I'm doing to the site in it's current incarnation. I will be reworking a version 2 of the entire site which I will publish when it's done. Might be a few weeks for that.

Kieryn, you rock! Thank you!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

Prickly Ong's so far:
Spoiler:

CasCat wrote:Please, please, please keep the newONGs coming.... I don't think anyone expects one an hour, but a couple a day would be GREAT....

<still in ONG withdrawal>

Not sure what to do next and I was really just doing a test way of getting them out there and I really would need a better way to post them. Currently I'm hijacking the SOUND folder on mscha's server because I have a dropbox folder that is synced to that folder on his server so I can simply script an hourly copy command that makes the ONG show up. Having a better system might be better but would need the help of someone like mscha to do that and he seems to be off busy right now. My original plan was to allow others to render their own frames and anonymously upload them so they can tell other "OTC Stories" or add frames to other peoples existing Stories.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Blindposting because I have to coma and I'm four pages behind (1315 of 1319) but it's a good thing I'm not skipping because here's a question directed at me.

lmjb1964 wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I think people might be overthinking this CC-BY-NC thing. Seek not enlightenment in the small print of the CC license, but in the words of the Great Lord Randall Himself. Ask, and permission might be accorded you<snip>

Thanks, Angelastic. And I LOVE that Geek Girls video! Truly awesomeful! And is that you coding for the linear accelerator?

Well now I'm confused, since I don't recall that video being mentioned in the thread, but… oh, facebook, right? No, currently I code for a little circular one that has much better aim than a handgun.

Today I flew on a flight numbered 1190. I guess it's the one true flight.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Holy crap! All the way back on P107, AussieJono called the location!
AussieJono wrote:
Roia wrote:There are some tideless oceans. I don't know much about them, though.

I believe the Mediterranean is virtually non-tidal. A quick check on Wikipedia reveals
Being nearly landlocked affects conditions in the Mediterranean Sea: for instance, tides are very limited as a result of the narrow connection with the Atlantic Ocean.

Therefore, my new theory is that they are in Cyprus and have nothing else to do since all their money is in a bank which has been closed for the better part of two weeks.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:All GONG!
<snip>
And that is the last prickly ONG for now sorry.

A wonderful sequence. Thanks!

Maybe a wiki-oriented OTTer will be so nice as to make a page with the 21 images?
Last edited by Ximenez on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

@Latent22 - Those PricklyOngs are awesomeful - it's great to be able to see them all together like that. I wonder if they can be given a prefix and a new set of numbers so they become compatible with existing readers.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

smolloy wrote:Holy crap! All the way back on P107, AussieJono called the location!
AussieJono wrote:
Roia wrote:There are some tideless oceans. I don't know much about them, though.

I believe the Mediterranean is virtually non-tidal. A quick check on Wikipedia reveals
Being nearly landlocked affects conditions in the Mediterranean Sea: for instance, tides are very limited as a result of the narrow connection with the Atlantic Ocean.

Therefore, my new theory is that they are in Cyprus and have nothing else to do since all their money is in a bank which has been closed for the better part of two weeks.

Totally remember that actually... I completely dismissed the idea in my head because I was thinking inland salt lake... In the end we were all right, if only we were able to connect all the dots. In retrospect we ought to have figured it out after the night scene, but by that point we'd unfortunately stopped thinking about the sea.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Image

Title Text: Wait for it.

I have no patience for entropy.

[The eternal journey continues even after the end of Time, since it seems like the essential idea of this epic comic of comics is that while time might appear to be a strictly linear phenomenon, its manifestation as life is actually a profoundly open, richly holistic, poly-temporal inter-creative experience with as many entry points, narratives, and interpretations as there are participants in it. The ever-flowing moment of the present is in fact a portal to all times -- a mysterious window which invites us to simultaneously invent the world as we explore it. While we personally might have different beginnings, adventures, and inevitable endings, together our searching individual journeys map the living landscape of our boundless humanity and reality.

Also, castle silhouettes look crazy cool. (And I wonder what thermodynamics says about Time having a sequel...?)

Link to the wonderfulous wiki for The One True Thread.]

was this edited?
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

nickjbor wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:
Spoiler:

[The eternal journey continues even after the end of Time, since it seems like the essential idea of this epic comic of comics is that while time might appear to be a strictly linear phenomenon, its manifestation as life is actually a profoundly open, richly holistic, poly-temporal inter-creative experience with as many entry points, narratives, and interpretations as there are participants in it. The ever-flowing moment of the present is in fact a portal to all times -- a mysterious window which invites us to simultaneously invent the world as we explore it. While we personally might have different beginnings, adventures, and inevitable endings, together our searching individual journeys map the living landscape of our boundless humanity and reality.

Also, castle silhouettes look crazy cool. (And I wonder what thermodynamics says about Time having a sequel...?)

was this edited?

Yes. I sent a PM to suggest that would be useful for Today's 10,000. This post made me think of it.
PeterSheil wrote:Just popping by to say:
1. I thought the original Time comic was quite zen like ... and moved on.
2. I thought it strange that the "Time" thread here was so active but never went there - I rarely visit the fora.
3. Discovered what was happening about a week ago, so saw the ending of time.
4. Have now reactivated my account here to say 'thank you' to everyone here who added stuff to the OTW and the image viewers so that us late-comers have a hope of understanding what is / was going on.

Cheers
Peter

Edited to add spoiler tags.
Last edited by SBN on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Blitzposted 821-835/1318-19

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I just hope there're no Nazgûlpies.

Image Are those the lesser-known relatives of Big-gulpies?

I think those are illegal in several jurisdictions these days.

Ray Kremer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Your first statement is unquestionably true. However, the second would not be recognized by most mathematicians. There is a sub-field (applied math) for which this is true, but for most of us, math makes sense entirely on its own. I was surprised when told (several years later) that someone found a use for my thesis results.

Spoiler:
Early math and some current math was inspired by physical phenomena, but we have abstracted that away entirely. A theorem in math is (known to be) true if it can be proved from the axioms chosen at the beginning. QED. End of story. Otherwise it may be false, unknown, or even undeterminable (deep stuff there).

Physics, on the other hand, depends on verifiable and repeatable observations of the real world. A theory in physics is "accepted" if it conforms with observation and it leads to predictions of the real world that turn out to be verified in the observations. (Note that I didn't say "turns out to be true". It is more subtle than that.) Physical theories are never perfect. Newton's law of gravity was true as far as it was possible to make observations/measurements at that time. But certain things could not be predicted in Newton's laws, which led to a long search (and much failure) and eventually Einstein's relativity theory - a refinement of Newton. It lets us make more and better predictions that conform to the observable results of experiment.

Mathematics has theorems. Physics has theories. Not the same.
Mathematical theorems are true, false, unknown, or indeterminate. Physics has theories that conform to observation or they are either rejected or refined.

On the other hand, physics gives mathematicians something to abstract over and mathematics gives physicists tools to aid their observations (especially their measurements).

No disagreement there. I was merely trying to be brief before. In the face of a "what the hell is it all for, anyway?" type of comment it's quickest to just say that a lot of the more familiar types of math have direct applications in a lot of the more familiar sciences, and the more obscure math stuff has some direct applications in some of the more obscure fields of science, and the rest is math for its own sake.

Also, http://xkcd.com/435/
You could draw an arrow going the other direction and label it "bigger picture view". As in, biology is applied chemistry, yes, but it focuses on larger objects and mechanisms than chemists concern themselves with, oftentimes to the point where the inherent chemistry falls into the details that aren't important right now.

mscha wrote:I'm afraid* that won't work. Prime numbers aren't invented, they exist.
Say, we're having an OTT reunion in a few years. Valarya will bring cupcakes, of course. A baker's dozen, 13. She will only be able to distribute those fairly (without cutting them up) if there are either 13 people present, or if she's the only one there.
That's a prime number, no matter how you define multiplication.

That was kind of part of my point, at least insofar as jovialbard's meandering rant goes. Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

I was able to use this idea of the hierarchy of sciences recently—someone claimed that everything was reducible to science, so I challenged him to define justice in scientific terms. After all, “Science” refers to the “hard” sciences (physics, chemistry, often biology) plus perhaps the “soft” sciences of psychology and sociology and economics and such—but justice is off somewhere in ethics or moral theology...

On the other hand, if people are going to distinguish between things that occur in nature and things that are artificial (such as cryptography and other “cultural” concepts—I suppose “artificial” is fitting in that they are made by human art, not by natural evolution or found in systems apart from human intervention—kind of how we used to distinguish organic chemistry <from life> and other <non-life> chemistry, but now the dividing line is whether it has carbon or not) we have to say at the end of the day that humans are part of the natural system too—and so cryptography is in a sense natural after all.

I agree that, in Math, you can quickly reach deep subjects, nearly incomprehensible to the non-expert reader. But another curious truth about Math is that few fields are so developed that they are “finished” in the same way as, say, thermodynamics is in physics. In thermodynamics, the basic principles and their consequences are well defined and understood. In math, even in something like number theory, new results are often possible for someone who looks at things in a new way. Much like charlie_grumbles idea of a new proof that leads to new ideas.

BlitzGirl wrote:Whoa. Image And how fitting, that my passing-post was to my blitzing kin. :D
This momentous occasion deserves a reprise of "The Time Less Traveled," which I first posted nearly 500 newpages ago (Again, whoa.) on Newpage 337.:
The Time Less Traveled
. . .

Just wanted to say that this post was bumped forward about as far as I am currently behind the present. . . .

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Angelastic, sorry to confuse you, I was going to comment on the FB post with the video, but I wasn't sure if you'd know who I was...

bmonk, I loved the mathematician jokes, especially the last one.

Dawnfire, nice ottification with "We Must Be Strong." Very touching.

Latent22, thanks for posting all the PricklyONGS! If you carried on with them, awesome, but if not, it was a wonderful series, and epilogue.

nickjbor wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:
Spoiler:

was this edited?

No, rhomboidal is just psychic. :D Yes, he went back and edited it, a couple of times at least.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

I hadn't read the OTT today, and I guess I have to present myself.

I am Tiago, the author of the Beanish language blog (by the way, it's great to have a domain pointing to it), and I am user Tresoldi in Wikipedia, just like someone guessed.
I am really glad you liked what I did, but as someone posted here I am just developing on the work found on Wikia. I am not a professional linguist, but have studied historical linguistics both in Brazil and in Italy; my "true" fields, however, are computational linguistics and especially literature (which is my "truest" field).

I really didn't want to be a mysterious blogger, just fired up Wordpress and started working without any great plans. I didn't write here (well, five minutes ago I wasn't even registered yet) because it sounded to spammy. Do you think it is better for me to post here? The discussion would probably be easier...

M32 to you all= :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”