1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jeffallen55

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jeffallen55 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Happy goggle cake!

Spoiler:

ETA: That's great, I get pope when I don't check back to see my message. This means my next decree counts double.
Last edited by jeffallen55 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:28 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:O
Spoiler:
ne thing that's sad about all the exciting developments in the story (to me) is that I used to be a perpetualist, and now because we have such an exciting story, I feel sure that it will end eventually. Back when we were just pottering around on the beach, and taking long walks in hopes of finding new stuff in the world, and perhaps casually wondering why the sea is rising, it seemed possible that it might go on forever. That's when I became a perpetualist, and was very happy that I could look forward to following the OTC and OTT for the rest of my life. Now, though, I have to face some far future life bereft of all your company.

Hopefully the OTC will be Lord of the Rings length, with many more interesting narrative episodes, widening our perspective and introducing new characters for us to love (with astonishing new headgear, possibly?)
But I think eventually it will come to an end, and that idea makes me kind of sad.

{P1201}
Hey that's
No way
To say
Goodbye.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:39 am UTC

More wondrous creations. Can't wait to hear the updated version of ucim's chordal approach to the end up time (sounds good, with the occasional unexpected pattern -- due to the sequence -- but it actually works surprisingly well)), and thanks for the laugh-out-loud OTThercomics.

I've tried another colourification, this time with ProCreate on the iPad.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 am UTC

Blindposting from about 20 NP back to say: I'm loving all the colorizations! Really beautiful work, everyone. And Whizbang's comic adaptations are terrific.

Hope to be caught up with all y'all at some point... the Outside had been accumulating behind a dam of OTC; shortly after The Event, the dam burst, and Outside has been putting through all over everything. I'll float out eventually.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:46 am UTC

hunjoh wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:
Considering the impending disaster and the way they fled from the Château d'If, their exchanges since appear to be a very odd mix of sombre talk and light-hearted banter as though they were on a nice country ramble. They don't appear to be afraid for their own survival or - in what they say, anyway - too worried about the others. This seems odd.

They seem to be imbued with an innate confidence. It's as if, even though they are aware of the danger and urgency, the prospect of failure is alien to them. I don't know if this is naivety, or that they have lead a life free of existential threat up to now, or something else...

It is their age. When you are in your late teens or early twenties and adventurous, you are immortal. Nothing bad will happen to you. (There is a reason soldiers are this age...)

Spoiler:
Some of the things I did at that age.... :shock: Sends shivers down my spine when I think about them now, how easily it could have all gone wrong, and how permanently dead I would have been.

{P1202}
I disagree with your emboldened statement. I think the opposite is true until middle age. Young people know very well that they will die and so try to have the strongest sensations, rather than the most durable ones.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:54 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
pkcommando wrote:FordONG

Spoiler:

Does anyone have any ideas what the bag might be made out of? What waterproof materials are they likely to have?

{P1202}
Wool. Shorn from electric sheep.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:29 am UTC

Awesomeful job on the iPad OTColored frame, DrSamCarter!
All right, last OTTercomic before I molpy down.
(Watch me steal shamelessly from myself.)

(This is also to apologize for doing a Cuesetta OTTercomic earlier.)

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OTTercomic151.png

Keywords: OTTercomic OTThercomic OtherComic Mario Megan Mariogan 1-up'd boyfriend boyfriends Beanie propose Beanette BGUM
redundant86.png
redundant86.png (103.11 KiB) Viewed 18283 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:55 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:I've tried another colourification, this time with ProCreate on the iPad.

Spoiler:

:shock: that's impressive even without the fact that it's done on an idevice

7.55am. Time to molpy down.
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:24 am UTC

{P1204}
Is anyone else in here being paid to post?

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Not talkONG any more?
Its so funny
Spoiler:
Because

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hey, this OTTercomic-ifying is as delicious and addicting as a Nutella crepe! Help me!

I've been hitting "random" until I find one I can do easily in paint

Same here, except I use Corel PhotoPaint X3 for most of my artifying.
How I made the above pic:
Spoiler:
I started with np888 as a background, copied Cuegan from #817, resized & flipped them, and finally copied the sand-arch and slightly-lower-water from np817

Prediction: I predict that nobody will post on the OTT for at least 3/4 of a newpic.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:Not talkONG any more?

Why are they angry? What is the full story (besides the reference to the song)? Surely there is some issues that need to be worked out before the tide washes them away.
StormAngel wrote:Prediction: I predict that nobody will post on the OTT for at least 3/4 of a newpic.

It is not a prediction when you edit your post...
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:27 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Prediction: I predict that nobody will post on the OTT for at least 3/4 of a newpic.

It is not a prediction when you edit your post...

Yeah, predicting the past isn't a true prediction, but it shows that the OTT is slowing down after [Telling How Each Entity Nearly Dies], though that's due in part to it being the wipend.

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 am UTC

I think it is also slower since eveyone has to deal with things things on the outside after spending 4 months staring at a slowly changing image. Also currently in the point of day where most of the world is asleep or busy. (and as was mentioned its the wipend)

But I don't mind the slower pace it made it easier to ketchup( just as long as it doesn't stop completely).
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 am UTC

I've had the thread on an idle tab for the last half of the day, and these last couple of hours have been some of the quietest I've seen. But yeah, I don't think it necessarily foreshadows THE END, just that Wipend − Ongs = Coma.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:Birthday blindpost:
I'm just stopping by to say that I have not forgotten about everybody. It's been a busy weekend thanks to my brother and his wedding stuff going on and the fact that today is my birthday!

I'll be sure to ketchup soon! I hope the future hasn't taken a turn for the dystopic while I was gone.

Happy Birthday!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Harald

Postby Harald » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:21 am UTC

Hi all

Some posts of the OTT remind me of an old game:
Meagan and Cue or There and back again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imagine the first frame here or the simplified t-shirt version of it.
I wish I knew how to upload an image and put it here.
Below the picture are these lines:
YOU ARE SITTING AT A COMFORTABLE WIDE AND SANDY BEACH.
THE WEATHER IS FINE. THE SEA IS CALM. LIFE IS BORING.
MEAGAN ENTERS.
[WEST][NORTH][EAST][SWIM][SANDCASTLE][WAIT]

Spoiler:
Typical description at the beach after ten newpix:
THE SEA IS RISING SLOWLY.
And when there is a sandcastle
THE SEA IS RISING SLOWLY AND DESTROYING YOUR SANDCASTLE.
Who wants to program the game?

Harald

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:41 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
free-bee wrote:Has anyone else noted the mouseover text? It says, "RUN."

Oh, and there's Javascript!

And, that's weird, I think the image just changed on xkcd.com/1190. All by itself! Didn't anyone notice??/?

{P1306}
What's this comic you're all talking about between cakes?

Exodies

Re: Random musings

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
hunjoh wrote:
keithl wrote:The Gibraltar gap is NOT A BATHTUB and NOT A RIVER. It is shorter than a river, much wider, and much deeper, and the basins it connects are vastly larger than bathtubs and lakes.

Spoiler:
The Mediterranean is an average of 1.5 kilometers deep, not 500 ft = 0.15 kilometers deep ; let's assume that is a typo in your source. But let's use your assumptions of a water channel 7.7mi = 12.4km wide and 1/8mi = 200 m high. We don't know the actual conditions at this future time ( assumed 12K years in the future?) so the blockage could be geological or man-made. An example of a geological blockage would be a Really Big Earthquake that dropped Gibraltar and some of the Rif mountains into the strait - the Bonneville Slide creating the Bridge of the Gods 900 years ago is a precedent. So are the ice dams that created the the Missoula Floods. A volcano could also fill the gap with boulders and sand (most mountains in the northwest, like the small mountain I'm on right now, are giant sand piles, not solidified lava).

Meanwhile, the Niagara river is less than a meter high when it goes over the falls, and the combination of the three falls is about 1.1 km wide. The river feeding the falls runs downhill a meter or two over about 40km from Lake Erie - the speed limit is set by viscosity for this shallow river. If the water was 200 times deeper, the currents at the top would be 200 times faster, and the total flow would be 40,000 times greater. 440,000 times greater with a gap 11 times wider. Of course, the Niagara doesn't do that, because the Great Lakes Basin doesn't produce that much water. The Atlantic has a wee bit more water available.

The Gibraltar channel from Atlantic to Pacific is about 30km long, and the falloff is steep and wide at both sides. The channel will slow the flow, but with a critically important difference - the Atlantic is infinite, compared to Lake Erie, and when the water gets moving towards the gap, it will build up kinetic energy that either stays kinetic energy or turns into potential energy (bulging up). The main frictional effects are from the vast jumble of house-sized boulders smashing along faster than bullet trains near the bottom. The Zanclean flood moved water at 300km per hour, through what is depicted in illustrations as a much longer and narrower channel. So the OTC flood will be at least that fast, possibly faster. The OTC flood might move 10 cubic kilometers of water per minute when the flow eventually gets up to speed, increasing in volume as it cuts a deeper and wider channel through Gibraltar. That is 90,000 times Niagara's 110,000 cubic meters per minute. The power generated by a 10 km3/min OTC flood, dropping 1500 meters near the beginning, is 2.5 terawatts, a 2MT bomb per hour.

Regulating all this is inertia, not friction. Instantaneously remove a dam, and a wall of water does not flow immediately; the pressure difference accelerates the water, from slow to faster to FAST. The pressure difference gradually spreads out along the length the channel, the same amount of momentum change occurs, but it is spread out over a larger volume. The velocity keeps increasing until the pressure gradient is zero, and only starts slowing down when filled basin gets higher than the source basin, creating back pressure. For massive volumes like the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, the rampup may take weeks, and the stopping (after the basin is on average filled) may take weeks, too. Water 1000km out in the Atlantic is still moving towards Gibraltar after the Med is full, and will keep moving until back pressure (caused by water higher than mean sea level) in front of it slows it down again.

In the beginning, the time currently being portrayed in the OTC, the accumulation of water is square law for a fixed dimension Gibraltar gap, perhaps cube law if the gap is eroding wider and deeper. The water isn't spreading uniformly as you might expect, momentum sends it faster eastward than it veers north and south. Perhaps a few hours of advantage for Megball and their homies.

I doubt that GLR has done the hydrodynamics himself (he might have run some existing numerical code), but I'm guessing he's found the numerical simulations of the Zanclean Flood and is turning those abstract teraton water models into dramatic spectacle. Someone with more research or detective time might find out who he talked to or what research papers he might have read.

People die in tsunamis and flash floods partly because their inner "water flow calculator" is calibrated for small scale viscous flow, not the inertia movements of huge masses of water. So you have to do the calculations and think about conservation of energy and momentum, and the relatively narrow zones where the energy can slowly dissipate into the rock and the sky. I doubt Cuegan or their people will do these calculations.

Steven N. Ward, a research geophysicist at UC Santa Cruz, has recently posted a video of his simulation of the refilling of the Mediterranean basin. http://www.openhazards.com/blogs/steve/dry-sea

At 2:23 in his video he states that "...it was like filling an Olympic-size swimming pool with a garden hose." His video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur. (Given that one of his academic specialties appears to be modelling tsunamis, I doubt that he neglected the inertial effects.)

He has a YouTube video where he does the same simulation with the San Francisco Bay, starting with it empty and then letting it fill from the sea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gILvSF0NXo At 1:03 and again (more clearly) at 1:35 he shows the effect you mention of water far out to sea being effected by the sudden breach. Very interesting.

That first video is 7some and quite helpful in predicting what the Cueganites are about to experience. Also, I happen to be from Santa Cruz (although currently living Cabo San Lucas, Mexico), so perhaps I'm a bit biased :wink:

Steven N. Ward appears to be a religious nut case not a scientist. Trying to confuse us by referring to Noah (pretend rain) and the Mediterranean flood (geology) in the same comic is unconscionable.

Hel-G

Postby Hel-G » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:57 am UTC

Finally ketchuped! Sailed all night to reach desired port before the forecasted thunderstorm hit. Made it with an hour to spare, but has had little time to OTT (which seems to have been verbed).

@tresoldi and all other resident linguists of the OTT: Good job! Very interesting to see that GLR will possibly give us more Beanish to work on. We'll need it if He has really gone for Linear A difficulty. And we know that He has had help from a linguist. It could mean that Beanish has some very strange features (from a Romance or Germanic point of view). Switching to another transcription is a good idea, I also felt it was a bit annoying to have the sounds of essentially random letters influence my perception of Beanish. Unfortunately, my phone only shows blanks for the new script, so I won't be able to contribute before I get back to a real computer in a wip or so.

@everyone: Loads of wowterful contributions. It takes ages to load every NP on an EDGE-connection, but it's worth the Time to ... Wait for it!

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:I think it is also slower since eveyone has to deal with things things on the outside after spending 4 months staring at a slowly changing image. Also currently in the point of day where most of the world is asleep or busy. (and as was mentioned its the wipend)

But I don't mind the slower pace it made it easier to ketchup( just as long as it doesn't stop completely).

Maybe this is what the first part of stopping completely looks like.
I doubt that many of us would ever willingly leave, but if it did completely stop I'd post an OTTification of 'We Dont Talk Anymore'... which would start it again?

@Harald Welcome to the OTT. You are likely to be eaten by a grulpy.

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
frakhorsestaplers wrote:SwimmONG

"My cousin says she can swim across a river."

"Well, can he carry all of us?"

Is GLR entering the pronoun argument?

I's ALL related! (Especially the cousin.)

Edited to use mscha's original, for posterity's sake.

{P1207}
Cousin in a tribe of 40 - prolly also his mother and sister.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Too Easy:
For all you punsters out there.

Spoiler:
no_pun_intended2.png
No Pun Intended
no_pun_intended2.png (22.85 KiB) Viewed 17852 times

http://xkcd.com/559/
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Ok, I don't know what happened. I was happily OTTing along using Pikrass's quote script, then somehow I got logged off. I logged back and my replies are there, but not the quotes. ?? Well, see if I can reconstruct this:

BlitzGirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote: BlitzGirl, I liked your treebuckets, no matter what yappo says. (I'm still a little bummed with yappo since he said my singing was "not bad at all")<snip>

Well, you should know that in some parts of the US, at least Maine, and I expect many other places, if you have just eaten the best piece of pie you have ever tasted, the correct response to "How was it?" is "Not too bad. Not too bad."

I take "Not bad at all" as a simple variation on that response. So you are right up there with the best pie ever baked. Better?

*puts yappo in bucket anyway*
(He won't mind, he's off doing a gig todip.)
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl, "Cuegan's FLight" is wowterful. So, these poems are written so that they meter matches the new epilogue sequence? Neat!

Thanks! The poems actually use the epilogue sequence for the rhyme scheme, and can be whatever meter I feel like.
For example, here's a simple rhyme scheme of ABAB, where the As indicate a rhyme with "all" and the Bs rhyme with "eat":

Molpies are small (A)
Wowtrees are neat (B)
They grow so tall (A)
I can't compete (B)

In the epilogue rhyme scheme, there are five letters, so five different rhymes. If you take a 24-nopix cycle, you end up with a 24-line poem, using these five rhymes in the order they are given.
A 7-line example scheme, ABCDBEA:

Wowtrees are tall (A)
Wowtrees are neat (B)
Watch them grow (C)
Watch them bend (D)
I can't compete (B)
I stare and stare (E)
And feel so small (A)

@charlie_grumbles: :D Being compared to the best pie ever is not bad at all! :wink:
@BlitzGirl, heeheehee. And I did mean rhyme scheme, not meter, in my question, but I really liked your answer, and especially the example poems. And I loved your OTTherComics, oh woman of many talents, although I can't always remember the original and was too lazy to try and find them (well, also, it's 6:08A.M.H and I should be a-coma.)

Also, are HES and WhizBang having an awesomeful OTThercomic-off with you?

And yappo, I hope your gig went well! :)

Re: melody based on EoT chord sequence:
Wow! Treeish idea and execution, Jose! Yes, it actually seems appropriate to throw in minor chords, seeing the effect The Event had on us. I especially like the squirpies and chirpies line, and this:

[44] Hum- bly Thee we /
[45] pray: /
[46] Let them be o- /
[47] kay.

jjjdavidson wrote: We must spend one day each year without hats, lest we forget what a privilege it is to have them."
So true, so true!
And yay, data! I'd be happy with a graph, if you'd like to add me to the list. :)
Also
jjjdavidson wrote:You know, Google still doesn't return any results for redundakitty that don't point to the OTT or the wiki. Doesn't the rest of the world pay any attention to us?

They ignore us at their peril BWAHAHAHAHA!

trolleypup wrote:Fried flatbread. Heh. The google search's 2nd entry is the sister restaurant of the place I go to (they are 2 blocks further away). The crepe place (sweet, savory, ice cream) is another block further away.

If we end up having a rompraft in SF, come one down and we can descend on B-Star for platha (stuffed and otherwise)! Or...umm

raftromp of OTTers

ummOh, hell! I'm a pusher, any of you fine folks come to SF, I'd be happy to guide you to fine food!

What? This place is just in SF? *jumps in car and starts driving*

jeffallen55 wrote:(re: jjjdavidson's graphs) Beyond awefulsome, beyond wowterful, beyond seasish.
I never manage to get here until after midnight UTC, and I don't finish my ketchup until people in the south of France are having their déjeuner sur l'herbe. And I have this strange aversion to posting responses to posts from the past. But I'm not going anywhere. I'm actually working on something that I'm really excited about, but it's taking me a lot longer than I'd expected it to. It may be another week or so before I've got it done, which is too bad, but I'm having fun with it. So I got that going for me.

I have to say though lmjb1964, you nearly had me in tears. Like for so many other people, On My Own hits really close to home for me. You did an amazing job both with the OTTification and the incredible performance.

Thank you thank you! I can't wait (well, of course, I can wait, I've been practicing for mips, but you know what I mean) to see what you're cooking up! And I have to tell you I like your avatar. Something about that album cover always cracked me up.

Happy birthdip, Goggalor!

DrSamCarter wrote:I've tried another colourification, this time with ProCreate on the iPad.
Spoiler:

Wow, that's beautiful!

StormAngel wrote:Not talkONG any more?
Spoiler:
Its so funny
Spoiler:
Because

Tricksy StormAngel.

Harald wrote:Hi all
Spoiler:
Some posts of the OTT remind me of an old game:

MEAGAN ENTERS.

Harald

Hi, Harald, and welcome! You can post images after your fifth post.

Exodies has been busy:
Exodies wrote:{P1204}Is anyone else in here being paid to post?

Huh?

Exodies wrote:
mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
free-bee wrote:Has anyone else noted the mouseover text? It says, "RUN."

Oh, and there's Javascript!

And, that's weird, I think the image just changed on xkcd.com/1190. All by itself! Didn't anyone notice??/?

{P1306}
What's this comic you're all talking about between cakes?

:D

Exodies wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
Spoiler:
hunjoh wrote:
keithl wrote:The Gibraltar gap is NOT A BATHTUB and NOT A RIVER. It is shorter than a river, much wider, and much deeper, and the basins it connects are vastly larger than bathtubs and lakes.

The Mediterranean is an average of 1.5 kilometers deep, not 500 ft = 0.15 kilometers deep ; let's assume that is a typo in your source. But let's use your assumptions of a water channel 7.7mi = 12.4km wide and 1/8mi = 200 m high. We don't know the actual conditions at this future time ( assumed 12K years in the future?) so the blockage could be geological or man-made. An example of a geological blockage would be a Really Big Earthquake that dropped Gibraltar and some of the Rif mountains into the strait - the Bonneville Slide creating the Bridge of the Gods 900 years ago is a precedent. So are the ice dams that created the the Missoula Floods. A volcano could also fill the gap with boulders and sand (most mountains in the northwest, like the small mountain I'm on right now, are giant sand piles, not solidified lava).

Meanwhile, the Niagara river is less than a meter high when it goes over the falls, and the combination of the three falls is about 1.1 km wide. The river feeding the falls runs downhill a meter or two over about 40km from Lake Erie - the speed limit is set by viscosity for this shallow river. If the water was 200 times deeper, the currents at the top would be 200 times faster, and the total flow would be 40,000 times greater. 440,000 times greater with a gap 11 times wider. Of course, the Niagara doesn't do that, because the Great Lakes Basin doesn't produce that much water. The Atlantic has a wee bit more water available.

The Gibraltar channel from Atlantic to Pacific is about 30km long, and the falloff is steep and wide at both sides. The channel will slow the flow, but with a critically important difference - the Atlantic is infinite, compared to Lake Erie, and when the water gets moving towards the gap, it will build up kinetic energy that either stays kinetic energy or turns into potential energy (bulging up). The main frictional effects are from the vast jumble of house-sized boulders smashing along faster than bullet trains near the bottom. The Zanclean flood moved water at 300km per hour, through what is depicted in illustrations as a much longer and narrower channel. So the OTC flood will be at least that fast, possibly faster. The OTC flood might move 10 cubic kilometers of water per minute when the flow eventually gets up to speed, increasing in volume as it cuts a deeper and wider channel through Gibraltar. That is 90,000 times Niagara's 110,000 cubic meters per minute. The power generated by a 10 km3/min OTC flood, dropping 1500 meters near the beginning, is 2.5 terawatts, a 2MT bomb per hour.

Regulating all this is inertia, not friction. Instantaneously remove a dam, and a wall of water does not flow immediately; the pressure difference accelerates the water, from slow to faster to FAST. The pressure difference gradually spreads out along the length the channel, the same amount of momentum change occurs, but it is spread out over a larger volume. The velocity keeps increasing until the pressure gradient is zero, and only starts slowing down when filled basin gets higher than the source basin, creating back pressure. For massive volumes like the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, the rampup may take weeks, and the stopping (after the basin is on average filled) may take weeks, too. Water 1000km out in the Atlantic is still moving towards Gibraltar after the Med is full, and will keep moving until back pressure (caused by water higher than mean sea level) in front of it slows it down again.

In the beginning, the time currently being portrayed in the OTC, the accumulation of water is square law for a fixed dimension Gibraltar gap, perhaps cube law if the gap is eroding wider and deeper. The water isn't spreading uniformly as you might expect, momentum sends it faster eastward than it veers north and south. Perhaps a few hours of advantage for Megball and their homies.

I doubt that GLR has done the hydrodynamics himself (he might have run some existing numerical code), but I'm guessing he's found the numerical simulations of the Zanclean Flood and is turning those abstract teraton water models into dramatic spectacle. Someone with more research or detective time might find out who he talked to or what research papers he might have read.

People die in tsunamis and flash floods partly because their inner "water flow calculator" is calibrated for small scale viscous flow, not the inertia movements of huge masses of water. So you have to do the calculations and think about conservation of energy and momentum, and the relatively narrow zones where the energy can slowly dissipate into the rock and the sky. I doubt Cuegan or their people will do these calculations.

Steven N. Ward, a research geophysicist at UC Santa Cruz, has recently posted a video of his simulation of the refilling of the Mediterranean basin. http://www.openhazards.com/blogs/steve/dry-sea

At 2:23 in his video he states that "...it was like filling an Olympic-size swimming pool with a garden hose." His video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur. (Given that one of his academic specialties appears to be modelling tsunamis, I doubt that he neglected the inertial effects.)

He has a YouTube video where he does the same simulation with the San Francisco Bay, starting with it empty and then letting it fill from the sea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gILvSF0NXo At 1:03 and again (more clearly) at 1:35 he shows the effect you mention of water far out to sea being effected by the sudden breach. Very interesting.

That first video is 7some and quite helpful in predicting what the Cueganites are about to experience. Also, I happen to be from Santa Cruz (although currently living Cabo San Lucas, Mexico), so perhaps I'm a bit biased :wink:

Steven N. Ward appears to be a religious nut case not a scientist. Trying to confuse us by referring to Noah (pretend rain) and the Mediterranean flood (geology) in the same comic is unconscionable.

The hydrology discussion and the video were wowterful. I must have missed this post earlier; the scientist is from Santa Cruz, and so is MajorDouble7. 4! I wonder if Steven Ward knows about Time?

And Exodies, I don't think he's a religious nut. Did you see the text at the end of the video? What he was saying is that a similar event happened in the Black Sea while humans were present, and the theory is that the story of the flood got passed down and eventually formed the basis for the Noah's Ark narrative.

StormAngel wrote:Maybe this is what the first part of stopping completely looks like.

Heresy! Get the M&Ms!

Ok, molpy down. Please just use your imagination; too tired to post a molpy image.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Too, too easy. Enjoy (but DUCK).
Spoiler:
goto2.png
Careful what you program

http://xkcd.com/292/
-- Charlie Grumbles

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Has anyone OTTified #1017: Backward in Time yet?
If not then I'll wait for it to happen; as ironically I have too little time to do it before I molpy down.

I did however have time to finish making my bed yesterday:

and here's a closeup of the desk a few minutes after I finished it
Spoiler:
Featuring the spoils of 26 Kickstarter and 4 IndieGoGo Campaigns.
and a pronounceable link :D

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

From http://xkcd.com/1015/

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Nerdsniping.png
Nerdsniping.png (29.18 KiB) Viewed 17774 times

Redundant.png

ETA link to original comic
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

(Currently sort of schizoblitzing, as I'm currently only really ketched up to NP 1305 but still replying to a post on NP 1328, is there even a OTTish term for that?)

Angelastic wrote:I just added my recent OTTifications (assuming I remembered them all) to the wiki, and also added So Long and Thanks for all the Newpix, just because I found it while looking to see which ones mine were between. I hope I didn't mess anything up. I notice that the numbers increment automatically if you just put links without numbers (I guess this is just the usual unnamed-external-link numbering, but it works well as table numbering, just as long as nobody puts an unnamed link in the introductory paragraph), but I don't know how to do that from the graphical editor (is there a way to do it? I've just been inserting mine using the code editor because I didn't want to have to renumber everything manually, but I don't want to accidentally make it incompatible with the other editor), so some people had put in their own numbers, which messed up the count. So I removed those numbers, and now the count is at 202. I am sure there are some that haven't been added to the wiki yet. I liked it better when there were wiki fairies to mysteriously add these things.

Followed your example and added my ottification "La Petite" to the list. Also, you missed one explicitly numbered link which I fixed, so the count of ottifications is now actually at 204.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:I did however have time to finish making my bed yesterday:
Spoiler:

and here's a closeup of the desk a few minutes after I finished it

You shall have to call it your "Time Bed" or something, since its construction pretty much coincides with the duration of the OTC. It looks great.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

From Click and Drag:
Seaish Spoiler
Spoiler:
1n35eClickDragAndM3086sm.png
Mashup

http://xkcd.com/1110/
and M3086
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Harald wrote:Some posts of the OTT remind me of an old game:
Spoiler:
MEAGAN ENTERS.

Harald

And the only action ever needed is "Wait for it"!

(Or not: There is the all-important "RUN" nearing the *nd...)

(To post an image you have to reach your 5th post.) Ninja'd / singéd.

ucim wrote:What if I interpreted the A-E sequence as the harmony?

7terful idea and execution! Who volunteers to sing it? lmjb? yappo? jovial?
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:[Maybe I'll even get a wild hair and take another stab at this ottifying. I was thinking of a song while at work, that I might give a try at. (Then again, since my first ottification garnered comments from two people and didn't even make it into the Song-fest wiki page; maybe not.)]

{P1209}
It's really bad form to complain about things being missing from the wiki; everyone can edit it, including you. If you can't be bothered to put your own ottifycation in there, how do you expect other people to care? (I don't want to imply that it has been left out because no one cares; those who update the wiki obviously do).

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

A few things from me in the way of ketchup.
@jjjdavidson More great graph work. I like the "actual" post line too. It's interesting to see that some OTTers posted a few times early in the OTT, left for a long while, then started up again and now have an almost solid post line.
@charlie_grumbles Two funny OTTcomics. Liked the pun one.
@Goggalor Happy Birthdip......
@airdrik & ucim Sea-ish OTTifications. And, ucim, the musical adaptation of the "Epilouge" frames is tree-ish.
@TimeLurker Saw your post in the "0009: Serenity" Thread after I had logged off. Whoa, I didn't realize you were that much of a Firefly virgin that you didn't even know about the BDM (Big Damn Movie {OTTers ain't the only ones who alphabetize phrases}). Sometimes you forget to include vital information because it's so much a part of your background. (Sort of like introducing some one to the Lord of the Rings movies, and then finding out the newbie didn't know about the BOOKS.)

re: The OTT slow-down: Others have pointed out it's the weekdip. And that's true. It's always been slow during the weekdips. The important thing is OTTer's ARE STILL POSTING. We're posting new stuff. And, yes, we are getting used to no new ONGs. :cry: :cry:
---------
Time for me to try my at colorizationing and OTTcomicing:

frame 2862

And the OTTcomic:

---------
And yesterdip I posted this:
pelrigg wrote:I took my own advise (like BlitzGirl did about The Madness) and took it upon myself to e-mail Phil Plait (The Bad Astronomer) about his (The BA's) involvement with Time:

pelrigg wrote:Dear Phil Plait;
Spoiler:
First, long time reader, first time writing you, standard verbiage. I started with you on the old web site (too bad you don't update it any more. Maybe once a year, or so?) Then moved over to the Discovery blog and now here on Slate. (I don't read the comments here on Slate that often. Flames jump out of it too quickly. A couple of thousand posts on "hot-button" issues? It's nice to see the greater exposure for your stuff, but I don't have the patience for all of that.)

To the main subject. I know you've mentioned xkcd in your blog before (Discovery era) and was kind of surprised when you didn't mention Time(comic 1190)[http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png] especially during what was referred to on the Time Thread [http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043] as the "Long Night" during which Mr. Munroe rendered a realistic "moving star field" night scene. Realistic enough for members of the Thread [Starting at http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... tart=37840] to identify the year the story was set in (circa 11,000 years from now). However when Time reached it's end, Mr. Munroe did something rare for himself, he commented on one of his creations [http://blog.xkcd.com/2013/07/29/1190-time/] and in it (and in an interview with "Wired.com") he mentioned your help with the astronomy.

Dear sir, come clean. Please, please, please, do a post about your involvement with one of Mr. Munroe greatest achievements.

Thank you;
<signed wth real life name; snipped>

aka: pelrigg (A Timewaiter and Knight Temporal of the One True Comic)

And todip in my mailbox I found this:
Philip Plait (THE Bad Astronomer) wrote:From: Philip Plait <thebadastronomer@gmail.com>
To: <me and my e-mail address>
Subject: Re: Your help with xkcd Time
Date: Aug 3, 2013 5:46 PM

Hi Paul-

First, thanks for sticking around so long. That seems like longer than I've been doing this. :)

Second, a post is in the works. I only found out Randall opened up about it a couple of days ago, and I've been terribly busy preparing to go to Australia. But it'll go up soon.

Thanks again!

-Phil

:mrgreen:

No fancy redundant thingie:
Spoiler:
c-2862-Color-1.png

cc_1024 _ error_code _edit.png

Edit:
Edited to change "unspoilered" image sizes.....
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

(About Phil Plait's response:)
Steakish, pelrigg! *Applauds*

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
pelrigg wrote:[Maybe I'll even get a wild hair and take another stab at this ottifying. I was thinking of a song while at work, that I might give a try at. (Then again, since my first ottification garnered comments from two people and didn't even make it into the Song-fest wiki page; maybe not.)]

{P1209}
It's really bad form to complain about things being missing from the wiki; everyone can edit it, including you. If you can't be bothered to put your own ottifycation in there, how do you expect other people to care? (I don't want to imply that it has been left out because no one cares; those who update the wiki obviously do).

Many, many OTTers are/were uncomfortable about making edits to the wiki for fear of breaking something, or afraid of starting an edit war, or are unfamiliar with the process, or sometimes don't have the Time to spend to learn the ins and outs of it all.

And, mostly, I was having doubts about whether it was good enough to be included. It is also now a moot point. It has been added.

Edit
Ximenez wrote:(About Phil Plait's response:)
Steakish, pelrigg! *Applauds*

Ahhh, :oops: now you got me blushing. No big thing, I thought I'd help the tribe out.....
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:<snip>
I seem to have missed the part in which we found out how the strait of Gibralter got plugged up in the first place, and when. <snip>

What is Gibralter?

{P1210}
Where is Schultz?

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:
I seem to have missed the part in which we found out how the strait of Gibralter got plugged up in the first place, and when. <snip>

What is Gibralter?

{P1210}
Where is Schultz?

While we never found out how and why the straight was plugged. Rosetta clearly used the word BERM. A Berm is an arificial earthwork, it would have been made by people sometime in the next N thousand years, and have been around for enough time for the fauna to have established.

Speculation: it could have been made to keep back rising sea levels due to global warming in the near future. (You have been warned...)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:

What is Gibralter?

{P1210}
Where is Schultz?

While we never found out how and why the straight was plugged. Rosetta clearly used the word BERM. A Berm is an arificial earthwork, it would have been made by people sometime in the next N thousand years, and have been around for enough time for the fauna to have established.

Speculation: it could have been made to keep back rising sea levels due to global warming in the near future. (You have been warned...)

I wouldn't put too much faith in the "artificial" part, though. Remember that she struggled a lot with the language. So, it could have been a dam, or some natural occurrence. Remember, that civilization has collapsed in this world and technology is almost entirely absent. The Med basin has been drying for something less than 1000 years (it isn't completely dry). No clues about when civilization collapsed, but it is unlikely that a non-tech society could dam the straits - too wide, too deep.

Of course, something built before the collapse that required active maintenance could have failed and caused a (near) complete blockage a millennium previously. If so, it would partially date the collapse of the civilization. We spoke earlier here about the fact that our civilization couldn't likely be rebuilt if it collapses because of the lack of access to easy energy without the tech. GLR confirms that this is his thought also. Solar and wind energy are free, but require a high tech society to extract and transmit.

Imagine what would happen if a solar flare or a nearby supernova fried all of the computer chips in the world, but left other things intact. How long would it take to recover? I'd suggest a very long time. You can't just make more, since computers are made using other computers. Power is generated and transmitted with computers. Nearly all industrial processes are controlled with computers. So, suddenly, nothing works. It wouldn't just set you back to the late 1940's, but much farther.

ETA: The effect on transportation would be devastating. No vehicle built since about 1970 would still run. (Only Cuba would still have transport.) The world's population would likely collapse, due to the effect on agriculture, etc. etc. etc.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Also, are HES and WhizBang having an awesomeful OTThercomic-off with you?
Something like that. Image

@pelrigg: Pretty colorization, and thanks again for your email OTTering!
@Whizbang: Your OTTercomic made me Image
@StormAngel: Treeish bed! Although...

StormAngel wrote:Maybe this is what the first part of stopping completely looks like.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

RedundaHeresy1.png
RedundaHeresy1.png (152.77 KiB) Viewed 17519 times

Keywords: redundakitty raptorcat black meowlpy heresy kitten comfy chair can we watch BGUM angry
RedundaHeresy2.png
RedundaHeresy2.png (79.26 KiB) Viewed 17519 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

This is a slow Sundip. we've been on this page for about 12 nopix....

Let me add a combo-pack here....

An colorized OTTcomic:

frame 1117

Spoiler:
c-1117-color-2.png

Clicking on this gives full size. Some day I'll learn how to make the non-attachment full size, but not todip...

EDIT: Figured out how to make non-attached images, full size....
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

I stayed at a friend's house last night after the gig so didn't get on the OTT yesterday, was expecting more ketchup than just four pages... but I guess, weekend an' all that...

Many absolutely hilarious and brilliant OTTercomics from Whizbang, BlitzGirl, HES and charlie_grumbles!
Some lovely colourisations too!
lmjb1964 wrote:BlitzGirls, I liked your treebuckets, no matter what yappo says. :P (I'm still a little bummed with yappo since he said my singing was "not bad at all," which, particularly since I was pretty insecure about posting the recording, I took to mean, "well, it doesn't suck.")(I mean, that may have been what he thought, but he could have said it differently.)(No, I'm not at all over-sensitive, why do you ask?) :|

Nooo! I said "not bad" because you seemed so insecure with it and I was trying to reassure you that it WASN'T bad. Randammit. Makes me a sad molpy that I mustarded expressing myself and made you feel bad :cry: . Especially since I did actually REALLY like it and thought it was beautiful :(
Spoiler:
Sad molpy is sad.

BlitzGirl wrote:*puts yappo in bucket anyway*
(He won't mind, he's off doing a gig todip.)
Spoiler:

Hmm. Kinda cosy in there. Might just stay here!
marchlight wrote:Looks like yappo put on a few pounds. Maybe lay off all the fast food at the gig.

Heh, funny you should say that as we (the band) actually shared quite a large Chinese takeaway before the gig :P
svenman wrote:Blindposting this because ever since the end of the OTC I've never managed to get ketched up again, but I came across this wowterful traffic sign on Flickr which I really wanted to share with you all (I hope this hasn't been done before). A slightly less interesting version can be seen here.

:mrgreen: We have our own signs!
ucim wrote:EndOfTime.mp3
words:
Spoiler:
lilypad format:
[measurenumber] syl- la- bles se- pa- ra- ted by spa- ces /
[nextmeasurenumber] one per note /

[1] Keep our Cue- gan /
[2] safe where we left them /
[3] step- ping on the /
[4] shore. The /
[5] sea is- n't kind, it /
[6] does what it wants. It /
[7] may rise a- gain once /
[8] more. We /
[9] pray that the raft won't /
[10] float a- way. We /
[11] pray that they reach high /
[12] ground, a- bove the /
[13] fi- nal shore's ex- /
[14] panse. We /
[15] pray asc- /
[16] en- ding seas do /
[17] not re- claim our /
[18] Meg and Cue's new /
[19] home. /
[20] All of this we /
[21] pray: /
[22] Be it safe to /
[23] stay. /
[24] Squir- pies and chir- pies /
[25] fill the trees with /
[26] joy in the pro- mised /
[27] land. We be- /
[28] seech Thee the /
[29] For- ty have /
[30] made it to main- land and /
[31] not to an /
[32] is- land and /
[33] trapped in ri- sing /
[34] wa- ter if the /
[35] sea is not quite /
[36] done ri- sing /
[37] up. /
[38] Lead them. /
[39] Lead them. /
[40] We be-seech Thee . /
[41] now, at the /
[42] end of /
[43] Time. /
[44] Hum- bly Thee we /
[45] pray: /
[46] Let them be o- /
[47] kay. A- men /
[48] A- . /
[49] men.
Jose

That was really treeish! Obviously since the chord progressions are derived from the sequence of frames it lacks a bit of direction, but you did a really great job with it and you made it work really well! :mrgreen:
lmjb1964 wrote:And yappo, I hope your gig went well! :)

Thanks! It was pretty wowterful! It was a pirate-themed night, and as my band Iron SeaWolf is basically the only pirate-themed band in the area, we were invited to play! Unfortunately since there are only two regular members in the band (it's more a studio project really) we had to draft in a friend to drum for us and he only had a week to learn the whole set. He actually said at one point "I blitzed through the whole set in a week!" and I couldn't help but smile :P. It was a challenge to play such "epic" music with just three of us (guitar/vocals, accordion/vocals (me), and drums - we didn't even have a bassist and I had to kinda imitate all the orchestral parts with just the accordion) so considering that, and apart from the fact we totally mustarded up one of our most epic songs, it actually went really well. :)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty17.jpg
redundakitty17.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 17406 times

il_570xN.111733846.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”