1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG

Re: OTTers' map's update

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:After a weekend of hard work on both frontend and backend, there's a new version of the OTTers' map available.

The lack of BlitzGirl on the database is disturbing. So as Dracomax's location.

Tip: just load the map and click the search button :wink:

It still doesn't seem to work for me. The search doesn't seem to do anything and I'm not sure if submit worked or not, and I can't figure out how to see OTTers on the map.

1. Click "Load map"
  2. Wait for the map to load
  3. Click "Search"
  4. Zoom out
If that doesn't work, tell me which browser and version you're using.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Eternal Density

Re: OTTers' map's update

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
  1. Click "Load map"
  2. Wait for the map to load
  3. Click "Search"
  4. Zoom out
If that doesn't work, tell me which browser and version you're using.
OTTers are appearing now but search still seems to be nonresponsive, as is Upload location. (Place Marker places a marker just fine.)
Browser: Chrome 28.0.1500.72 m
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Map-molpy

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:41 am UTC

I tried to add myself to the database, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I can place a marker but I can't upload after that. I can see and search for other OTTers, though.
Browser: Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m

Eternal Density wrote:Also somewhere in my belongings (haven't seen it in a long time) I have a Beanie Kids keyboard. Just thought I'd share that bit of info. (Actually it might say it's a jaguar but close enough for me.)

Was it this one, perhaps? I had this one (and many others) when I was little:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: Map-molpy

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:54 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I tried to add myself to the database, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I can place a marker but I can't upload after that. I can see and search for other OTTers, though.
Browser: Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m

Eternal Density wrote:Also somewhere in my belongings (haven't seen it in a long time) I have a Beanie Kids keyboard. Just thought I'd share that bit of info. (Actually it might say it's a jaguar but close enough for me.)

Was it this one, perhaps? I had this one (and many others) when I was little:
Spoiler:
No... *googles* this:
Not quite a keyboard but similar enough.

Sounds like we're having the same map issues.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:18 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I tried to add myself to the database, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I can place a marker but I can't upload after that. I can see and search for other OTTers, though.

Just fixed it. Usual post-testing refactoring issueugh. Should work now (tip: the button will become green once the update is confirmed).

Eternal Density wrote:OTTers are appearing now but search still seems to be nonresponsive

Hmm... it works here. Anything specific?

er, seems that I just updated Dracomax's location instead of searching... but then, he was at Chateau D'If...
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

BlueCrab

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Firstpost, np 1230:

saralonde wrote:
Eliram wrote:IMO Hairdo/Rosetta's voice could/should be layered with multiple channels, as is the visual representation of the text. The main channel should be the loudest one, back channels can include the grey words, static noise (which gets louder in the black spots) and/or a reversed version of the recording with lower volume.

Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

Hi saralonde, welcome!
That's funny, I really like Eliram's idea but was thinking that it would be even better if it were voiced by a non-English speaker.

ETA Robirr, that was a great little movie!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Eternal Density

Re: Map-molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Just fixed it. Usual post-testing refactoring issueugh. Should work now (tip: the button will become green once the update is confirmed).

Eternal Density wrote:OTTers are appearing now but search still seems to be nonresponsive

Hmm... it works here. Anything specific?

er, seems that I just updated Dracomax's location instead of searching... but then, he was at Chateau D'If...
Whatever you did to fix BlitzGirl fixed me too. Now the upload button turns green and I get a marker! Woot :D
[edit] but why don't I see location names in English?

Also somehow I need to engineer getting my 1337 post on (or as pope of) newpage 1337. Yeah as if that's gonna happen.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Yay! Much better!

I love that Cuegan is on the map as well. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 am UTC

UPDATED GRAPH: OTT Fora Percentage: The 128-day day "End of Time" version. This graph shows what percentage of total xkcd fora activity came from the OTT, on a daily basis. I've added a 7-day moving average to show overall trends more clearly.

As SPACKlick has already pointed out, we posted at a higher rate at "The end" than at any other time in the OTT (probably faster than any time in the history of the xkcd fora, in truth). By the way, SPACKlick, great graphs! In case Kieryn hasn't yet said it: Welcome to the Time Foundation Data Analysis Department!

Again, if any OTTer would like a personalized version of my time-of-day graphs (or just doesn't mind if I publicly analyze their activity), leave a note here or drop me a PM.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:49 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Yay! Much better!

Am I the only one who sees BlitzGirl on the map in both the US Northwest and in France?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Yay! Much better!

Am I the only one who sees BlitzGirl on the map in both the US Northwest and in France?

Huh. I'm not supposed to be in France (though I certainly wouldn't mind visiting!). I put my marker back where I am. It seems that if you search for a user, and then place a marker somewhere, that marker automatically gets the searched user's name. So it's possible I was accidentally transported to France that way. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Map notices

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:04 am UTC

@Dracomax: please reenter your location in the map. I had to nuke it from the server.
Also, I believe GLR gave us the true names of Megan and Cueball:
Names.png
Names.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 12328 times

ReviewEdit:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Am I the only one who sees BlitzGirl on the map in both the US Northwest and in France?

Huh. I'm not supposed to be in France (though I certainly wouldn't mind visiting!). I put my marker back where I am. It seems that if you search for a user, and then place a marker somewhere, that marker automatically gets the searched user's name. So it's possible I was accidentally transported to France that way. :)

The "add your info" and "search for someone" forms are the same. You can search someone before and after you've placed your marker in the map; what gets uploaded is what there is in the form at the moment of the upload.

Also, be careful when pressing Enter/Return. The browser seems to default to "Upload location"... (I'll see if there's a way to override it.)

Eternal Density

You mean 'T** e**'

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:UPDATED GRAPH: OTT Fora Percentage: The 128-day day "End of Time" version. This graph shows what percentage of total xkcd fora activity came from the OTT, on a daily basis. I've added a 7-day moving average to show overall trends more clearly.

As SPACKlick has already pointed out, we posted at a higher rate at "The end" than at any other time in the OTT (probably faster than any time in the history of the xkcd fora, in truth). By the way, SPACKlick, great graphs! In case Kieryn hasn't yet said it: Welcome to the Time Foundation Data Analysis Department!
And you did it without me :( (Why did I not stay in the Present that wipend? Oh well, I probably would have been depressed all wipend. Better to get it all over in one ketchup I guess.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 am UTC

@AluisioASG: The map works great for me, in the display, search, and placement functions. But if I place a second marker with my name, is it supposed to remove the first one? I now have two markers in the Ozarks.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:UPDATED GRAPH: OTT Fora Percentage: The 128-day day "End of Time" version. This graph shows what percentage of total xkcd fora activity came from the OTT, on a daily basis. I've added a 7-day moving average to show overall trends more clearly.

Thanks for this! That downward slope at the end is kind of scary, I have to say. But it's not unlike the one that occurred post-April Fool's Dip.

AluisioASG wrote:Also, I believe GLR gave us the true names of Megan and Cueball:

So which one is Approx and which one is Location? :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Spoiler is really redundant.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:43 am UTC

OTTherComic of http://xkcd.com/1209/
Spoiler:
encoding.png
encoding.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 12224 times

[edit] I hit Random again to see what I should OTTify next and I got http://xkcd.com/145/ which is a Dinosaur Comics parody about gender neutral pronouns. So it's already doubly related to the OTT past and present.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 am UTC

I have returned from the beach! I relaxed, I wrote, I built a sandcastle (pics to be posted later - though some may have already seen them on FB). It was quite nice. I was glad to finally be able to ketchup - it has taken me all evenix. As always, there is far too much wowterfull stuff that deserves comment.

tresoldi wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
@tresoldi Regarding your translation: Would it still work if GLR decided to make the grammar subject verb object? Is there any syllabic indication the he might be using verb conjugation, as is common among European languages?

I am assuming a SVO order, for the only reason that it is the most common among Western European languages, form where I hope he evolved Beanish. Given that there seems to be tendency for Beanish to postpone modifiers, it would require less assumptions -- but the language does seem to favor prefixes over suffixes, which is against this very tendency. Questions seem to work very differently, however.

Unless GLR designed something very, very different from the languages I know, we can safely assume that the language uses a conjugation system similar to Romance languages (i.e., each person has its form), and just like most Romance languages it makes personal pronouns unnecessary. However, it's hard to guess how its verbs work: once more, the language seems to dislike suffixes, and in fact the verbal system could very well use infixes, like Semitic languages. But I can't say much without overusing the words "likely" and "probably" regarding verbs; I will only say that I assume that ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ (frame 2734 and 2836) and ᖚᒣᑕᑫᓭ (frame 2806) are forms of a verb "to go", the first one in the future (I have some other speculations in the blog, if you like, but they are just that, speculations).

I am also pretty certain that Beanish does not uses general determiners (i.e., articles) as single words, but some of the noun features could be (in)determinative articles incorporated into the nouns.

Whoops! I mustarded my own question. I had actually meant to ask if it Beanish could be OVS.

mikro2nd wrote:I offer a song, along the lines, and to the tune of My Way by Frank Sinatra:

Our Way
Spoiler:
And now The End has come
And so we face the final newpix
Others, they'll say it's done
To which I'll say there's still a few trickses

We've lived a Time that passed
While Meg and Cue hiked every which-way
And more, much more than this
I OTTed my way

Mustard, we've seen a few
But then again too few to mention
We did what we had to do
The flames were quenched, avoiding tension

I planned to get more sleep
Each chirpin' frame along the ONG day
And wait, oh we did wait
I OTTed my way

Yes there were filks, I saw them too
When I tried to watch but coma'd through
And through the fade when there was doubt
When Cueball Pfffth'd and spit it out
We shared some cake
We shouted Snake
We OTTed our way

I've ONGed, I've laughed and cried
Obeyed decrees, and I've been ninja'd
The threats of comfy chair
And speak of steaks, badly singéd

To think we did all that
And it's been fun, those ghastly puns
Oh yes, we got some hats
We OTTed our way

For what are OTTers, what have we got
If not the pix, then just the OTT
We'll sing those songs that scarcely rhyme
With Beanish words from out of Time
The pix that glow, the OTTed prose
I OTTed my way

Yes, it was our way

This is fantastic! But I could only hear it in my head with Sid Vicious singing.

DrSamCarter wrote:Frame 1293. It would help if I knew how to drive Illustrator in something other than first gear (or, as is probably a more correct analogy, it would help if I knew how to even start it!). It was much better in my head.
Spoiler:

I feel rude for not expressing admiration to specific OTTers for all the OTTIfications and colourings and manips and witty interpretations, but I keep losing track of who did what and the wowterful but overwhelming thing is the astonishing rapidity with which they appear. They are all appreciated.

This is great! And actually, I agree with your statement: I, too, lose track of the so many great OTTifications. Especially now, there are so many of them! Should we all try to keep track of all of them, our posts would be very seaish, indeed.

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Drugs.png

:lol: :lol: Keep these up and I do believe you shall be needing your own site!

StormAngel wrote:Has anyone OTTified #1017: Backward in Time yet?
If not then I'll wait for it to happen; as ironically I have too little time to do it before I molpy down.

I did however have time to finish making my bed yesterday:
Spoiler:

and here's a closeup of the desk a few minutes after I finished it
Featuring the spoils of 26 Kickstarter and 4 IndieGoGo Campaigns.
and a pronounceable link :D

OK. I am jealous.

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Nerdsniping.png

Redundant.png

OK. This one is definitely my favorite so far :mrgreen:

pelrigg wrote:This is a slow Sundip. we've been on this page for about 12 nopix....

Let me add a combo-pack here....

An colorized OTTcomic:
Spoiler:
frame 1117

c-1117-color-2.png

Clicking on this gives full size. Some day I'll learn how to make the non-attachment full size, but not todip...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yappobiscuits wrote:Image
I stayed at a friend's house last night after the gig so didn't get on the OTT yesterday, was expecting more ketchup than just four pages... but I guess, weekend an' all that...
Spoiler:
Many absolutely hilarious and brilliant OTTercomics from Whizbang, BlitzGirl, HES and charlie_grumbles!
Some lovely colourisations too!
lmjb1964 wrote:BlitzGirls, I liked your treebuckets, no matter what yappo says. :P (I'm still a little bummed with yappo since he said my singing was "not bad at all," which, particularly since I was pretty insecure about posting the recording, I took to mean, "well, it doesn't suck.")(I mean, that may have been what he thought, but he could have said it differently.)(No, I'm not at all over-sensitive, why do you ask?) :|

Nooo! I said "not bad" because you seemed so insecure with it and I was trying to reassure you that it WASN'T bad. Randammit. Makes me a sad molpy that I mustarded expressing myself and made you feel bad :cry: . Especially since I did actually REALLY like it and thought it was beautiful :(
Sad molpy is sad.
BlitzGirl wrote:*puts yappo in bucket anyway*
(He won't mind, he's off doing a gig todip.)

Hmm. Kinda cosy in there. Might just stay here!
marchlight wrote:Looks like yappo put on a few pounds. Maybe lay off all the fast food at the gig.

Heh, funny you should say that as we (the band) actually shared quite a large Chinese takeaway before the gig :P
svenman wrote:Blindposting this because ever since the end of the OTC I've never managed to get ketched up again, but I came across this wowterful traffic sign on Flickr which I really wanted to share with you all (I hope this hasn't been done before). A slightly less interesting version can be seen here.

:mrgreen: We have our own signs!
ucim wrote:EndOfTime.mp3
words:lilypad format:
[measurenumber] syl- la- bles se- pa- ra- ted by spa- ces /
[nextmeasurenumber] one per note /

[1] Keep our Cue- gan /
[2] safe where we left them /
[3] step- ping on the /
[4] shore. The /
[5] sea is- n't kind, it /
[6] does what it wants. It /
[7] may rise a- gain once /
[8] more. We /
[9] pray that the raft won't /
[10] float a- way. We /
[11] pray that they reach high /
[12] ground, a- bove the /
[13] fi- nal shore's ex- /
[14] panse. We /
[15] pray asc- /
[16] en- ding seas do /
[17] not re- claim our /
[18] Meg and Cue's new /
[19] home. /
[20] All of this we /
[21] pray: /
[22] Be it safe to /
[23] stay. /
[24] Squir- pies and chir- pies /
[25] fill the trees with /
[26] joy in the pro- mised /
[27] land. We be- /
[28] seech Thee the /
[29] For- ty have /
[30] made it to main- land and /
[31] not to an /
[32] is- land and /
[33] trapped in ri- sing /
[34] wa- ter if the /
[35] sea is not quite /
[36] done ri- sing /
[37] up. /
[38] Lead them. /
[39] Lead them. /
[40] We be-seech Thee . /
[41] now, at the /
[42] end of /
[43] Time. /
[44] Hum- bly Thee we /
[45] pray: /
[46] Let them be o- /
[47] kay. A- men /
[48] A- . /
[49] men.
Jose

That was really treeish! Obviously since the chord progressions are derived from the sequence of frames it lacks a bit of direction, but you did a really great job with it and you made it work really well! :mrgreen:
lmjb1964 wrote:And yappo, I hope your gig went well! :)

Thanks! It was pretty wowterful! It was a pirate-themed night, and as my band Iron SeaWolf is basically the only pirate-themed band in the area, we were invited to play! Unfortunately since there are only two regular members in the band (it's more a studio project really) we had to draft in a friend to drum for us and he only had a week to learn the whole set. He actually said at one point "I blitzed through the whole set in a week!" and I couldn't help but smile :P. It was a challenge to play such "epic" music with just three of us (guitar/vocals, accordion/vocals (me), and drums - we didn't even have a bassist and I had to kinda imitate all the orchestral parts with just the accordion) so considering that, and apart from the fact we totally mustarded up one of our most epic songs, it actually went really well. :)

Redundant:
redundakitty17.jpg

il_570xN.111733846.jpg

Glad to hear your gig went well, despite the mustard. I checked out your band's site. I really particularly liked Hoist the Black Flag and Death from the Deep. Also really liked your choice of banner picture on FB :lol: Very metal! :mrgreen:

Yea! New Acts of the Clerics, which actually I skipped over - I shall have to read it in the mornix. For now I must coma...

Molpy down!

Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Making life difficult for themselves (frame 2150 revisited):

(I now wish I'd picked the image a few frames later but although I could actually change this image relatively quickly, I need to stop spending so much time on OTT distractions ... :oops: )

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Nice OTThercomic ED! And DrSamCarter, you can't blame them for having 2D vision :wink:

I think it's the molpy zapping the baobab and not vice-versa
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:31 am UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

I think it's the molpy zapping the baobab and not vice-versa

The molpy is small. The wowtree is big. Therefore, the wowtree is the one who knows what it's doing.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 am UTC

For those who have lost sleep, work or other productivity to be here:
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 am UTC

New Othercomic! At first I thought it wasn't RELATED. But then I checked the discussion thread...

Why the chirp is there a cedilla in DOÇX? That definitely shouldn't be there.

Possibly GLR has suddenly decided to sprinkle random diacritic markings into Othercomics for no reason whatsoever... ImageImageImageImageImage Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 am UTC

He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

~TILDE

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 am UTC

HES why not grapvine pic? Anyhow that's awesome.
BlitzGirl wrote:New Othercomic! At first I thought it wasn't RELATED. But then I checked the discussion thread...

Why the chirp is there a cedilla in DOÇX? That definitely shouldn't be there.

Possibly GLR has suddenly decided to sprinkle random diacritic markings into Othercomics for no reason whatsoever... ImageImageImageImageImage Image
That's part of the joke.
Also I somehow hit the wrong key while typing "that's" (I added the ninjareply after the bottom part) and logged myself out of the forum. So I had to write my post twice :P

BlitzGirl

Re: ~TILDE

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 am UTC

Image @HES's molpy molpy molpy OTTercomic!

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Possibly GLR has suddenly decided to sprinkle random diacritic markings into Othercomics for no reason whatsoever... ImageImageImageImageImage Image

That's part of the joke.

Sure. But it's so RELATED. And I've been wondering...

The Wired article wrote:Still, Munroe says that artifacts of the sprawling world he created in the space of a single panel might someday make their way into his other work: “Maybe I’ll find a way to sneak a bit more of the language into another xkcd comic.”

How exactly would GLR sneak Beanish into an Othercomic? I don't think he'd just stick a Beanie in there and have the character start spouting full-length sentences. I mean, he could, which would be awesomeful, but that's not particularly subtle. This seems like the sort of sneakish hint he would try. To non-OTTers, it's barely even a blip... as you said, part of the joke.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:25 am UTC

First, I'd lke to thank poxic, yappobiscuits, BlitzGirl, buffygirl, and lmjb1964 for the positive feedback about my story.

Next, here's that image I was trying to get past 5 posts for. A little gift for your Megsdip morning.

I am enjoyong all of the OTTifications, colorizations, OTThercomics and the real creative explosion that has been going on. I have no particular talent at manips, and no special flair for design, so I'm somewhat at a loss to add in those regards. However, there is one thing I know how to do. Sometimes I like to make custom Sudoku puzzles, using letters instead of numbers and laying them out as well as I can to spell stuff and hopefully make a decent puzzle as well. I did one monthly for a while that went into my company's internal magazine, and I've done a few for friends. Each one is a unique challenge to create, as I go for different words, names, or layouts.

Here is the one I have made for the OTT:

This puzzle should not offer any great test to the experienced. (It's very hard to make a particularly challenging puzzle given the other design contraints.) It would probably rate 2 stars. A fair distraction.

I hope you enjoy. If no-one posts a solution, maybe I will put it up on Cuesdip.

-- intheshax

And I do so hope I'm doing this right:
Redundant
Spoiler:
OTTduko.gif
OTTduko.gif (9.34 KiB) Viewed 11999 times

rugen_02-300x225.gif
rugen_02-300x225.gif (42.61 KiB) Viewed 11999 times

Eternal Density

OTTher OTTer OTTher OTTer

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Two more clicks of the Random button:
http://xkcd.com/290/
http://xkcd.com/441/
Yes I'm doing these with minimal effort. Sorry.
redundant:
Spoiler:
yes really.
blue_shells.png
blue_shells.png (29.53 KiB) Viewed 11989 times

babies.png
babies.png (18.55 KiB) Viewed 11965 times

AluisioASG

End of Days: The Beginning is the End

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Writing this is going to be challenging. But I promise you, all this is going to make sense… eventually.

The calm he was demonstrating on such a despairing situation was unsettling. It was as if everything had been taking place as he intended. Yet she knew he wouldn't have allowed the project to even begin if he knew the consequences.

She wrote:Well, at least they won't have to worry about the rising of the sea anymore.

Spoiler:
The answer came half a minute later.

He wrote:Soon we won't have to worry about anything. We won't be able to.

The conversation went on at that pace, almost in slow motion. The strong wind forced them to yell at each other.

She wrote:So, is this the end?

He wrote:Kinda. I mean, for us, it surely is, but for those who will come after us, it's just the beginning.

She gave him an utterly puzzled look. For the first time since they met, she had no idea what was going on in his mind.

He wrote:Let's go. I want to give them a first memory. I want them to know the feeling. And I want them to avoid it.

Lucius cast a last glance at the full moon. Or what had remained of it.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

sleep(20820);

Davidy

Coma

Postby Davidy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:04 am UTC

Molpy down
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

BlitzGirl

...and I'm off to coma!

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Treeish End of Days installment, Aluisio!
Cute OTColored newpix, DrSamCarter!
And thanks for all the great OTTercomics, ED and HES!

intheshax wrote:Image

Yay! Sudoku! :D We haven't had sudoku in such a long Time! Thanks so much!
(And your redundant spoiler is impeccable :) )
Here's the solution I came up with:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

TimeSudoku.png
TimeSudoku.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 11819 times

redundant88.png
redundant88.png (162.23 KiB) Viewed 11819 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:43 am UTC

Every time a new othercomic comes up now, I'm tempted to post "Hey, did you notice the Javascript?" so people will go look.

And then hope that one day there WILL actually be Javascript again.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
mscha wrote:OMR, it's all related!
Spoiler:

EXTREMELY well done, had to check the original to be sure.
(yes, you got me)

For some reason I completely missed the added bullet and went straight to "Mustard." :roll: That probably counts as getting me, too...

Exactly the same here...

{P1217}
We should rename him Mschief.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:48 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Image
Thanks! It was pretty wowterful! It was a pirate-themed night, and as my band Iron SeaWolf is basically the only pirate-themed band in the area, we were invited to play!

Given how many of the bands you list as influences on your band's FB page, I had to listen, since almost all of them are high on my own list of frequent-plays. Iron Seawoflpyftfy definitely joins that playlist as of now. Are you planning/working on an album at all?

I'll also take the liberty of pointing you at Crimfall and Brymir if you haven't already run across them - more Prog/Epic style than Epic/FolkԹ, but you might enjoy them.

Թ almost wrote that as "Epic/Filk" :O
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 am UTC

TimS wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the water being "too fresh to swim over"? I know that salt water makes you a little more buoyant than fresh water, but it'd take a pretty extreme amount of salt to make the difference between you being able to swim or not. And most wood floats in water, salty or fresh.

It makes me think the "salt" and "fresh" water they're referring to are very different than what we'd call "salt" and "fresh" water. Thoughts?

{P1217}
I realise that expecting to be providing Tim with an answer he is still waiting for while kvetching up from eons back displays optimism bordering on the ridiculous but I don't care. We are talking extreme amounts of salt, Tim. So much that people have forgotten that they can float in fresh water. The entire Mediterranean Sea has been evaporated down to a few lakes.

On a different topic, I hope you can all see now that I was right all along. "Wait for it" didn't refer to the end of the story but the next Frame.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 am UTC

intheshax wrote:Sometimes I like to make custom Sudoku puzzles, using letters instead of numbers and laying them out as well as I can to spell stuff and hopefully make a decent puzzle as well. I did one monthly for a while that went into my company's internal magazine, and I've done a few for friends. Each one is a unique challenge to create, as I go for different words, names, or layouts.

Here is the one I have made for the OTT:

Spoiler:

This puzzle should not offer any great test to the experienced. (It's very hard to make a particularly challenging puzzle given the other design contraints.) It would probably rate 2 stars. A fair distraction.

Ch*rp you. Now in addition to my other thing I've been working on, I want to create the One True Crossword Puzzle.

Time for a downard spiremolp
Spoiler:
Last edited by jeffallen55 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 am UTC

Thank Randall for facebook, or I'd be in trouble today
He/Him/His Image

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 am UTC

It's been over a nopix. Time for an oldpix.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 am UTC

trolleypup wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
trolleypup wrote:Fried flatbread. Heh. The google search's 2nd entry is the sister restaurant of the place I go to (they are 2 blocks further away). The crepe place (sweet, savory, ice cream) is another block further away.<snip>

What? This place is just in SF? *jumps in car and starts driving*

I'll see you in 9 hours. Except I'm sure you'll be passing platha places along the way

Well, as long as SF refers to San Francisco and not, say, San Fernando, it will only take me an hour and a half, depending on traffic on Hwy 17.

HES wrote:Molpy up!
BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Also, are HES and WhizBang having an awesomeful OTThercomic-off with you?
Something like that. Image

Don't forget Mr Grumbles

Of course, I couldn't forget Mr. Grumbles. He's been so prolific, he's almost in a class by himself!
But seriously, all of you are just fountains of creativity. I'm so impressed. :)

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

semecoffeecancerbabies wouldn't fit

That must have been some sandcastle accident to kill 7 Beanies! And I can't imagine what happened with the pricklymolp...

ZoomanSP wrote:
ucim wrote:close-up: taixzo, preparing for approach.
taixzo wrote:Strap in. It's time to molpy up, not throw up.
The First Cleric wrote:Uh... I had molpy for breakfast.

Spoiler:

Nooooooooo!

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

This just cracked me up.

jeffallen55 wrote:
intheshax wrote:Sometimes I like to make custom Sudoku puzzles, using letters instead of numbers and laying them out as well as I can to spell stuff and hopefully make a decent puzzle as well. I did one monthly for a while that went into my company's internal magazine, and I've done a few for friends. Each one is a unique challenge to create, as I go for different words, names, or layouts.

Here is the one I have made for the OTT:<snip>

Ch*rp you. Now in addition to my other thing I've been working on, I want to create the One True Crossword Puzzle.

I actually started one, but never finished. I'm much better at starting things than finishing them. :(

Nice colpix, dawnfire!

Yay! More Acts of the Clerics! Jose, that was hilarious. I loved that Clippy was in it. But speaking of HAl, where is he? Did he say he was going to be away for a while?

And new data from jjjdavidson, and SPACKlick. Treeish.

And I've been listening to Iron Seawolpy and it is so much fun. it would be great to see you guys play live.

Aluisio, thanks for the map! I got it to load and show all the OTTers. Is there a way to find out which OTTer relates to a given marker? Maybe there is and I'm just too tired to see it. Oh, I'm enjoying your story, too!

For an old papal decree: Things that were negatively impacted by the OTC and OTT? It had not effect in my life. Except I'm behind at my job. And at my other job. And at my other other job. And in my emails. And in my coma schedule. And my house is a mess. (OK, it might have been despite the OTT.) But other than that, it hasn't affected me at all.

OK, my meowlpy is telling me it's time to molpy down.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Aluisio, thanks for the map! I got it to load and show all the OTTers. Is there a way to find out which OTTer relates to a given marker? Maybe there is and I'm just too tired to see it.

Just mouse-over? (So possibly no way if you're on a mobile device.)

Also, Aluisio, do think that having the map as repeating over and over again as you scroll sideways, rather than returning to the same map (if you follow what I mean), is problematic? Obviously most people are on the initial one, but I've scrolled to one side or another, assuming that it would return to the same map, and then wondered why all the OTTers were gone. Also, ggh seems to have marked him/herself on the left side map, rather than the main one. I'm not sure if this is something you have control over, given you're utilising third-party maps?

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Scene 22

Molto amusement (and I got the Alice's Restaurant reference too, and I just about snorted with the paperclip replacing Hal!)

ANd thanks to BlitzGirl, and HES, and Whizbang, and charlie.grumbles for amusing OTThercomics.

And what a beautifully designed sudoku, intheshax.

And maybe it's time to go and check out AluisioASG's maps.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”