1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jeffallen55

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby jeffallen55 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 am UTC

HES wrote:Because we're not actually an evil cult, punishments for heresy are somewhat relaxed.

Relaxed? Relaxed??? Enough! Poke him with the soft cushions!

ETA: Nobody expcts the Pope! Completely non-optional Papal decree: Be excellent to each other. Slightly more optional decree: OTTify a famous painting.

Eternal Density

Totally non-bogus

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:09 am UTC

I was gonna ask if OTThercomics disguised as redundakitties will be added to the wiki and then I decided I should join and do it myself. I hope I did good!

Oh and here's another!
Utterly Redundant:
Spoiler:
tones.png
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Re: Totally non-bogus

Postby HES » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I was gonna ask if OTThercomics disguised as redundakitties will be added to the wiki and then I decided I should join and do it myself. I hope I did good!

You did good! Sorry about nuking your first edit...

He/Him/His Image

Davidy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:27 am UTC

Coming Soon

TIME: The Movie

Starring

Megan

Cueball

LaPetite

The Three Beanie Surveyors

The Guy at The Gate

The Two Beanie Children

Haircut

And "The 40"

Presented by GLR Productions

No molpies were harmed in making this movie (except the one that got thwapped)
Last edited by Davidy on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:30 am UTC

For pope:
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

And with that, it's a molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy coma coma.
Spoiler:

Redundant, with probably the best redundakitty ever:
Spoiler:
redundakitty18.jpg

clocks ottified.jpg

tsunami ottified.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 am UTC

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I was gonna ask if OTThercomics disguised as redundakitties will be added to the wiki and then I decided I should join and do it myself. I hope I did good!

You did good! Sorry about nuking your first edit...
Spoiler:
Ah so that's what happened. No problem, it gave me practice adding it again (and this time I thumbnailed it properly, I think.)

Oh look, anOTTher!
"It's depressing how few of these are real shirts."

from http://xkcd.com/23/

quite redundant:
Spoiler:
t-shirts-plus-beanish.png

[edit], missed a closing paren!
(Also no one seems to have complained about the mismatch in my sig yet :P)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:05 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.

I just saw a picture of my friend Pearce like that. Are you friends with Pearce?

Nope.
By the way, I used this picture:
Spoiler:
or a similar shot. What was used for Pearce?

The same shot, but maybe zoomed out a little. Maybe you started something.

I manipt another friend of mine into this picture:
Spoiler:
She is way nicer than the TX, although she is about as effective in asskickery.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:11 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:(Also no one seems to have complained about the mismatch in my sig yet :P)

I saw it, winced, and pretended it wasn't there.

Now to stop ED having all the fun:

The random button served me well.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:17 am UTC

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:(Also no one seems to have complained about the mismatch in my sig yet :P)

I saw it, winced, and pretended it wasn't there.

Now to stop ED having all the fun:
Spoiler:

The random button served me well.
Yeah well the paren is the fault of the markov chain generator :P
You failed: I had much fun reading that OTThercomic!

[edit] It's Time for me to be wowish and get out of here.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 am UTC

He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:28 am UTC

neopifex wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
lgw wrote:To me the arrival of LaPetit was the crowning moment of awesome for Time. But now I'm sad: all the Chekov's guns have been fired. All the mysteries have been revealed. Now it just plays out and wraps up.

Not all of them. What about the whole Beanish language? And what about the reason for the collapse of the dam? And why there is no modern technology anymore? I predict GLR will answer at least one of these three before Time has come to an end.

Come on??? We haven't even met the ents, nor the Riders of Rohan, nor been to Helm's Deep. Nor have all of The Nine yet been seen. Long way to go. Fer Randall's sake, Gandalf is still lost in the Mines, for all we know.
WRT the current newpix, Megan is sending out the word on her mobile. And we thought they wer lo-tech.

Too bad their coverage is going away with the end of LTE (Low Tide Everywhere).

Tee hee hee.

I hope we get one of those end of film career summaries:
Megan went on to become a hairdresser.
Cueball died of liver failure after many years of alcoholism.
LaPetite married a forklift truck pusher and had seventeen children.
The Librarian lives in retirement in the Chateau d'If after many years as Communication Advisor to the government.
The Hill People are the government due to some dubious balloting procedures.
Lucky was captured and roasted by a feral tribe of tent dwellers.

But before that, I'm expecting some spectacular Frames of the inundation.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:Tagxedo.com is a similar site. I'm not sure how the word frequency controls and display options compare since I'm not familiar with woordle, but thought I'd point it out. I find it interesting that the word 'Time' is not prominant. Possibly not present at all? (I didn't look through all the tiny words)

It... may have been in the list of common english words I excluded from the data. :oops:

{P1225}
Common English words? COMMON ENGLISH WORDS??
Fetch the comfy chair! Start warming up the chocolate! Toast the marshmallows!

May I point out to you the noble title of our obsession.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:41 am UTC

For the decree: JMW Turner and the OTC

TurnerOTTDrSamCarter.jpg

Redundant-ish

Spoiler:
ContenderRedundakitty.jpg

(I have tried to find the instructions to do proper redundant things, but cannot locate them.)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Results Time!
Voting post.

And the Winner is C6M3!

Which means you have chosen Valarya and yappobiscuits as your Cuegen voice actors!

{P1225}
Valarya you say? Can I change my vote?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Random832 wrote:Just so no-one gets the wrong idea, technically I just took a text sample and threw it into http://www.wordle.net/ to make the image itself.

Neat!

Here's the dialogue (sans Beanish ;) ) of the OTC so far:

Spoiler:
dialogue_wordle.png

{P1225}
I'm not a diagram person; I prefer lists. So what is the significance of the orientation of each word? And the colour? And the position (neighbourhood)? I get the size part.

Also (though I hate double topicing my posts (or deposits as I like to think of them)) we should compile a list of questions to ask Grandell after the end of Time.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:23 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:RAFTBUILDONG

Wait, why are they putting fabric on the side of it?

A sail! A sail!

Of course! That actually would explain how they can stay ahead of the sea!

...Any meteorologists here know which direction the wind would be blowing?

{P1226}
Not a meteorologist, but a ruleofthumbist - on-shore during the day, off-shore at night.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 am UTC

Go Minim go!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:01 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Exodies wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
taixzo wrote:<snip>"Infinitely long" does not mean "contains every possibility". For example, the number 0.121121112111121111121111112... does not repeat, but doesn't contain every combination of numbers; it doesn't even contain a 3.
Thank you! Once again an otter has helped me fix a glitch in my worldview. The idea that an infinite universe would contain various obnoxious scenarios has always really bothered me. The possibility for horrors still exist, of course, but they're not guaranteed by the very definition of the universe.

Let me put on my mathematicians hat again and give you a bit more enlightenment. Taixzo's number is infinite and not repeating, but it does have a regular pattern. However, an infinite string of random digits would contain any sequence of any length that you would care to choose.

{P1110}
What's the longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit?
(Shirley you could have expressed that better, Exo?)

Fans of James P. Hogan may recognize the concept of an infinite universe containing "obnoxious scenarios" being bothersome. In the most recent of his Giants novels, one of the characters was questioning the physicists assertion that the multiverse contained all possibilities, as a result of all possible quantum outcomes resulting in a different universe. I'm not phrasing this very well, but the point that she made to the physicists was that she simply didn't believe a universe existed out there where all the books on the library shelves had blank pages on the inside, because no-one would make books like that. This led to the physicists considering the influence of intelligence/consciousness on the resolution of quantum events, and opened my eyes to the concept that the presence of intelligent, self-aware entities precludes certain "obnoxious" scenarios from existing anywhere, and that there is something very mysterious still about consciousness that influences even quantum events. I highly recommend Hogan's novels to the sci-fi readers, and very highly recommend "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose, to anyone interested in a very well written, non-fiction exploration of the mind, and its place in the realm of physics.

ETA: If pi's decimal expansion truly has all the statistics of a random string of numbers, then there is no "longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit". You can make n as high as you want, and eventually, you will find that string again. Of course, there is no way to verify this, and I'm not sure whether you can actually prove that any series of numbers is truly statistically random, since you need to look at a bigger and bigger set of the numbers to get statistics and more and more unlikely events. (For example, to show that the sequence of digits that are the first 10,000 digits of pi re-occurs no more nor less often than any other sequence of 10,000 digits would require an ENORMOUS number of digits total to be examined.)

{P1226}
Thanks for replying. When I wrote "seen" I meant observed in the currently available decimal expansions of pi, not "there theoretically in the infinity".

If you discard "free will" then you can expect to have blank books in the universe that needed them.
There is an article about this in the current edition of New Scientist but it's not available to registered but not subscriber people. There's also this interesting book about which there is a lot of discussion freely available on the Internet. (I sound as if I object to paying for things; I'm not, I am incapable of convincing anyone to try something they have to pay for. I'll go further, I am incapable of convincing anyone to click on something. For example - has anyone read the book in my sig? Or looked it up?)

There is a buzzard calling outside.

ETA ( :) ) (accidentally stayed too long on the submit page) come on guys, I'm quadposted here. If you don't interrupt me I'll get shot.

waveney

Postby waveney » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am UTC

Exodies wrote:If you don't interrupt me I'll get shot.

Thwap! (Shooting would be Heresy)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:22 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1110}
What's the longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit?

I don't see why there would be an upper limit. Pi wouldn't have to repeat for there not to be an upper limit

{P1226}
Is "this bozzo's asking a dumbassed question" more likely than "'seen' does not mean 'which could theoretically be found'"?
I had hoped the Shirley clause would have alerted you to the fact that this needed careful reading.
Sorry for being grumpy; communication is so very difficult, especially when, like me, one tries to be succinct and merely succeeds in being obscure.
Thanks for the reply ")

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 am UTC

With apologies to yappo

original
He/Him/His Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am UTC

It was weird to see Time stop while I was on holiday...

What if the rise of the sea was caused by a dropped mountain?

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Flotter wrote:What if the rise of the sea was caused by a dropped mountain?

He did mention the fall of civilization...

Middle panel from np661
He/Him/His Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am UTC

Flotter wrote:It was weird to see Time stop while I was on holiday...

What if the rise of the sea was caused by a dropped mountain?

Yay! Or that mountain dropped at the gates of Gibraltar. It's all connected! :shock:

[edit] Changed 'And' to 'Or'
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:19 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I'll try an OSH:
Through what newpix were Megball walkONG?

It's basically cheating to make an OSH from something like that, but I'm pretty sure it's 1011.

wizpretz gets it! (I really shouldn't have posted it just before I went coma.) Yeah, it was a cheat, but it was a cheat with Historical Significance! ─ np1011 was one of the original series of "mustard" frames ─ so I don't feel guilty about it. What I do feel bad about is that people with the wrong browser or the wrong sort of screen would have had a very hard time seeing the mustard. In Safari on my iCh*rp it's pretty much undetectable.

Latent22 wrote:Someone needs to make one of these OSH things with 4 similar but slightly different snips of the OTC and put it in a super slow animated gif.

Oooh, that's a Black Hat idea for certain. "Okay, this has gotta be the one; that's exactly how Cueball was holding his arm. I'll just check the OSH again... ??? ...Chirp me, I was sure I had it. But look at Megan's bag; I just saw that...yeah, here it is, just like the OSH─ ‽‽‽ What the mustard is going on?"
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:25 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
azule wrote:The fallen sand castle at the top of the makeshift boat is actually a salt castle, therefore, less weight? Secondly, La Petite's hat must have been river salvage (as her hat is otherwise out of place in this tribe). :)

I'm not sure about that. Salt is heavy.

According to Wikipedia, salt (precisely, sodium chloride) has a Eternal density of 2.165 g cm−3. Sand (precisely, quartz) has a density of 2.65 g cm−3. Assuming a similar particle size, a saltcastle should be slightly lighter than a sandcastle. Alas, Wikipedia does not provide information on the density of semencancercoffeebaconbabies.

@jjjdavidson: More graphs3, more fun1! Thanks!
@DrSamCarter, yappobiscuits: Baobabish OTC-art-mashups!
Also:
yappobiscuits wrote:I always enjoy redundastuffs at all times! :mrgreen:
FTFY.

@Eternal Density: Besides many OTThercomics4, that was a treeish ottification!
@HES: Awefulsome OTThercomics! The snow tracking guide was particularly treeish. Although I wonder whether these should be salt tracks?

And a question for all y'all: What did Lucky do under Denali?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Quest progress: 826/1338 pages

In the OTC, Cuegan discovered a chirping raptor feeding its raptorbabies. After that they reached a 10 river which flows to the 3 river in a waterfall7. Looking at the waterfall they produced a lot of new cryptic dialogue about the canyon/river3 depth and eventually decided to get to the top of the hill. The terrain started to rise even more quickly and now they are reaching some beautiful boulders with a hedgehog on one of them.

In the OTT, there are only few notable events including a tiny-strikethrough-font obsession started by ergman and more stuff quoted here:

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Did anyone post a reminder of the new OtherComic yet?

Here's a fun exercise: replace all instances of the word "hipster" with the word "blitzer".

IT'S ALL RELATED

:D It fits perfectly!

BlitzGirl wrote:In a parallel universe, there is a version of Time that does indeed follow birds-that-we-don't-like-calling-birds instead of Cuegan:

:mrgreen:

ttscp on page 787 wrote:I will not speak of the famous or near famous. I will not speak of the Girls, Blitz- or buffy-G, of mscha or HAL, or even of edfel or SciscitorQ. I speak today of the least celebrated of those that appear on the OTT screens, least known, but, as we shall see, most prolific, thoughtful, and most of all quick.

"Who might that be, ttscp?" ask TheMinim and Corrine, charlie_grumbles, fluffy and Opiboble.

You know of whom I speak. I do not name names because I believe it is dangerous (and you yet will know why) but all will be revealed when I am done.

The details are difficult, and depend on that last and best of attributes. The one of whom I speak is quicker than all. There might have been some competition from newpixbot once upon a Time, but that was many newpix ago, before the newpixbot was handcuffed and hampered so the mere human members of the Tribe of OTT could create.

... ... ... <snip>

:shock: That was an awesomely thoughtful reasoning, ttscp!

kenmelken' GIFt #2:
kenmelken wrote:Friends, Time-waiters, Country-xen,

This be my 200th post! In order to celebrate in similar fashion to my centennial GIFt (hidden in the first spoiler if you don't know what I'm talking about), I present to you my Bicentennial GIFt. :) Enjoy.

By the way, it's a triple-stacked chocolate cheesecake.

This puzzle took me a lot of thinking, but I managed to solve it eventually. Thanks, mscha!
mscha wrote:Since we appear to be doing heretic puzzles now, here's a river crossing puzzle that someone sent to me, some time before Time.
It's a lot harder than the standard wolf/goat/cabbage version... I think I concluded three times with absolute certainty that it's unsolvable, before finally solving it.

Edit: macraw83 noted that the above link doesn't work anymore. Here's another link to the same puzzle.

These mscha's manips are just so great I can't stop blitzposting them :)
mscha wrote:The next ONG:
(Click for full-size.)

Edit: not sure how the GLR will have drawn this. The water is black, the rocks are black, might be hard to see anything.

partingLance's chronicle:
partingLance on page 812 wrote:The OTT: When was the First speculation on, or mention of...?

NP First...
1 Click and Drag (xkcd 1110)
1 Randall's personal life
1 Outside song (link to "Only Time," Enya)
2 GIFfing the images
2 Indefinite thread (prediction of)
2 Diffing the images
2 Looping Comic
3 The JavaScript
3 Registering because of Comic
4 Flip-book (wish for)
4 Updating GIF
4 Death
5 Randall reading the Thread, laughing
5 Tides ("time and tide...")
5 Megan
5 Aubronwood viewer
... <snip>

One more thing: I recently discovered that in my country, this guy called Ján Uličiansky wrote a book inspired by The Little Prince that is called Malá princezná (The Little Princess)a. And guess what: the Little Princess (read "La Petite") in this book represents... wait for it... a ghost of a BABY that was BORN PREMATURELY! :shock: Remember those miscarriage theories from the very first NPs?
Well... IT'S ALL RELATED!

3 pretty neat
7 wow
10 tiny
a you can even get it on iTunes
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 am UTC

By Papal decree ...
two-men-by-the-sea.jpg
Last edited by Swein on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Eternal Density

Molpy Down

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

I have two sONGs planned to OTTify: one practicality wrote itself (though not written down yet) and the other I've only got a chorus. Wait for it until my tomorrip.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Whizbang, do you have your newest OTColourifications4 also in the OneTrueSize (553 x 395)?

I don't, sorry. All of my manipulations are done in MS Paint and/or MS Word. Size gets smudged a bit as I zoom, crop, paste, and otherwise modify.

Ok. I did my best and here they are.

ETA:
Valarya wrote:@Wizbang - dang, man. What did the OTT ever do without you before your awesome arrival? You have made post-voldeframe quite entertaining. Image

I've been here all along. I just finally found my calling post OTC. Before that I made inane comments and occasionaly posted pics that went mostly ignored. I admit, I took advantage of OTTers who were starved for any kind of OTC/OTT content.
Attachments
2375 OTColored.png
1934 OTColored.png
Last edited by Whizbang on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

waveney

Postby waveney » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Phil Plait (the bad astronomer)has posted about his involvement in Time.

He's a cool guy - I read his blog actively as I am an astonomy geek. As well as an OTTer.

Enjoy!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Obey no pope!
Spoiler:
dora_maar_no.png
Picasso-Dora Marr
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

waveney wrote:Phil Plait (the bad astronomer)has posted about his involvement in Time.

He's a cool guy - I read his blog actively as I am an astonomy geek. As well as an OTTer.

Enjoy!

Cool guy. No mention of stellar drift though. Was that a true GLR addition?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Oh and here's another!
Utterly Redundant:
Spoiler:
tones.png

That is brilliant.

BRB, setting phone to "ONG".
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Exoframes

From http://xkcd.com/786/
Note the intentional mixing of "TimeFrames" and "Newpix". This OTTercomic is set in the far past and I felt ambivelance gave it a sense of realism.

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
Past-Time

From http://xkcd.com/1222/

Exoframes.png

Past-Time.png
Last edited by Whizbang on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Latest Newpage

From http://xkcd.com/756/

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
From http://xkcd.com/857/
Latest Newpage.png
Latest Newpage.png (41.12 KiB) Viewed 15443 times

Archimedes.png
Last edited by Whizbang on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:http://boingboing.net/2013/08/05/making-sense-of-beanish-x.html

By implication it would seem that Cory Doctorow is keeping at least a casual eye on the OTT. Is Cory MobTeesBoose?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Latest Newpage
Spoiler:

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
Latest Newpage.png

Archimedes.png

Whizbang, you are the man*!! I am loving everything you've put out. Thank you for keeping the OTT a happy and humorous place.

*gender nuetral proclamation of your awefulsome-ness.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Hello all! :)

Eternal Density wrote:Was there a ledge near the shores (or anywhere on the heath)?

No, it was in the krumholtz, amongst the rocks.

HES wrote:Climbing mountains is no fun if there isn't a castle at the top :(

Actually, yes it is. Climbing mountains is less fun if there isn't a castle at the top

There was a lake near the top with fish, so there was fun to be had. ;)

yappobiscuits wrote:
42 guests wrote:6. We climbed well over 2000 ft. in our journey. (I noticed it too...)

2000 ft. isn't all that much, not enough to notice any thinner air or anything... sure you don't mean meters? Or by "noticed" did you just mean you got very tired? :P. Anyway, glad you had fun and enjoyed many OTC-ish moments :)

For someone accustomed to the 4,000-5,000 ft. range, the rise from ~8,000 to 11,000 ft. is enough to take your breath. The first night above 9,000 ft. gave everyone icepick behind the eyes headache, and two of my friends nausea.

The 2000 ft. was for similarity to the average depth of the Mediterranean. Not sure if we decided the elevation of the Cueganites' sea, but they should have experienced less of a change in altitde.

Also, as someone who is accustomed to flying a desk for a living, I was also very tired. ;)
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Exodies wrote:What's the longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit?

I don't know, but we have only calculated the smallest part of pi. About 5 trillion digits at a recent count. Not very much. You can search on the web for longest sequence of 9's yet found and such like.

{P1227}
Oh yes. You can search on the net.
Counting from the first digit after the decimal point. The 3. is not counted.
3 occurs at position 9
31 occurs at position 137
314 occurs at position 2,120
3141 occurs at position 3,496
31415 occurs at position 88,008
314159 occurs at position 176,451
3141592 occurs at position 25,198,140
31415926 occurs at position 50,366,472
314159265 did not occur in the first 200000000

So in the first 200 million, the answer is eight. Which is the same answer for runs of the digit 1 (11111111 occurs at position 159,090,113).
Do all 8 digit patterns occur in this range? What's the fastest algorithm (on a MIX machine) to answer this question?
Coolest thing I came across while googlebinging this is:
In 1996, NERSC's David H. Bailey, together with Canadian mathematicians Peter Borwein and Simon Plouffe, found a new formula for pi. This formula permits one to calculate the n-th binary or hexadecimal digits of pi, without having to calculate any of the preceding n-1 digits. This formula was discovered by a computer, using Bailey's implementation of Ferguson's PSLQ algorithm.

Thanks for not misreading the question, Grumbs.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”