Europa Universalis 4

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jack21222

Europa Universalis 4

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

EU4 releases in 2 weeks. I'm a sucker for Paradox Interactive grand strategy games, and will be pre-ordering this. I have 216 hours into Europa Universalis 3, and 336 hours into Crusader Kings 2. I shudder to think how many hours this will eat up of my time.

They also have a save game converter to go from CK2 to EU4, so you could play as one dynasty/country from 867ad all the way into the 1800s.

Who else is looking forward to this one?
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

JudeMorrigan

Re: Europa Universalis 4

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

I had never played a Paradox game before I pickedup up CKII during the recent Steam sale. Suffice it to say, I've had enough fun with it that this is definitely on my list. Although I've been successful enough with my CKII game that I may not want to convert it over.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:I had never played a Paradox game before I pickedup up CKII during the recent Steam sale. Suffice it to say, I've had enough fun with it that this is definitely on my list. Although I've been successful enough with my CKII game that I may not want to convert it over.

This is a good point. For example, if you take the Byzantine Empire and make it a huge purple blob across the entire map, it probably wouldn't be much fun just stomping everybody else in the world. I've played games of CK2, though, that I did not get really big, and I wouldn't mind converting that over. My very first CK2 game comes to mind. I was on Noob Island (Ireland), and didn't really expand past that. That might be fun to play on EU4. I actually played that game on a fan-made CK2->EU3 converter in EU3, and it was fun for a while. I turned Ireland into a colonial power in that game.

So, there are situations in which you start very small in CK2, only grow to about medium size, and want to continue past the end date.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

So, the impression I get is that multiplayer games are the way to go. With the save-game converters, you can get truly epic games going. Among other things, it makes it way harder to be the purple blob covering the entirety of the map when other players can gang up on you, whereas against the comps it's relatively easy to get a larger standing army than most other players have levies, and more levies than the rest of the world combined.

I will put myself at "cautiously optimistic." I've been trying to play Paradox games for a long time, and CK2 was the first one that I thought was a genuinely good game. If they've finally figured out how to make games right, then it will probably be as/more awesome than CK2; if it's more similar to EU3, then I doubt I'll play it much.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

There's a demo out on Steam now. Going to go play it.

OklahomaJoe

Postby OklahomaJoe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

I wish I could say how good or not good EU4 is, but I'd have to know how to play it, first. The tutorials don't really do a good job of teaching the player anything, and the UI is... incomprehensible, at best. Tiny text and buttons, enormous tooltips... you'd think a studio as successful as Paradox would be able to afford a GUI designer.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

OklahomaJoe wrote:I wish I could say how good or not good EU4 is, but I'd have to know how to play it, first. The tutorials don't really do a good job of teaching the player anything, and the UI is... incomprehensible, at best. Tiny text and buttons, enormous tooltips... you'd think a studio as successful as Paradox would be able to afford a GUI designer.

I have to disagree with this. I think the tutorials are pretty helpful this time around. In previous Paradox games, the tutorials were far worse. I have no problem with the GUI, but it's probably because I played EU3 for ~220 hours and CK2 for ~370 hours. So, I'm pretty used to Paradox by now. The GUI is in line with CK2, and the tutorials explain a lot more than in EU3.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Goold O'l Paradox Interactive.

I remember watching someone plays Heart of Iron 3... fell in love with the concept and bought the game + all expansion... Can't figure out how to play the game (attach/Unattach corp to HQ, attack fatique/withdrawl, move excess production etc)

From what I've heard the Heart of Iron 3 manual is thicker then a phone book.

While I still like the concept... I hope Europa Universalis 4 has a more user friendly interface.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:30 am UTC

I played the game for 7 hours yesterday, and I'm quite happy with it. In some respects, it's just like EU3 plus all of the expansions with updated graphics and some new mechanics. I still haven't completely figured out trade or what trade power does, but everything else is fairly straightforward and the tool-tips are very handy.

I'm currently playing as Ming (China), which keeps the Mandate of Heaven and Factions mechanics from EU3: Divine Wind. Expansion is difficult with them, because it costs so much to create cores. On the other hand, Ming is so big that I'm not threatened by my neighbors whatsoever. Japan declared war on me once, and I just mauled them. I've taken some Korean provinces and a couple of others. I just took Quest for the New World, and am colonizing the Philippines at the moment.

My hope is that some European powers settle somewhere nearby, and I can just settle next door. Once we both get cores next to one another, I get to westernize. We'll see how that goes.

I think my next game will be a CK2 import where I was playing Abyssnia. It won't be too crazy, since I haven't been expanding much with Abyssnia (I have the side of Africa up to Egypt, and installed the Coptic Pope in Alexandria.) I'm interested to see how they model the Coptic religion in EU4.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

I've got 122 hours played so far, mostly in an England game. I'm pretty much King of Europe at this point thanks to abusing personal unions and the only other large Christian realms are Poland and Lithuania, who I've got royal marriages with so I can force personal unions on them too if they ever lack an heir. I'm trying to unify the Holy Roman Empire as I've been Emperor for about 60 years now and I just passed the fifth reform (the one that disables internal HRE wars) and I've kind of hit a brick wall with authority, since there are no heretics to convert and no one will declare war on HRE members. I could do some tricky things like adding provinces to the Empire for 1 authority each and releasing some vassals, but I don't think I'll quite be able to pass the seventh reform because of some aggressive expansion and overextension maluses I wracked up for seizing some strategic provinces in the HRE so that I'll get cores on all members if I can enact the final reform. I think I won't be able to do much of anything outside of the Americas for 20-30 years.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty pleased with EU4.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 am UTC

I've played two Ironman games so far. First was Ayutthaya. I was a pretty decent trading power by the end, and ended up in 7th place in score. Then, I decided to play a colonial Morocco game. In the year 1730, I'm bringing in 160 a month in trade from the Sevilla node. As the sole Muslim colonial power, I am often at war with some combination of Castille, France, and Portugal. Here's a pic:

Spoiler:

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 am UTC

I finally picked up this game after watching quite a few days worth of lets plays on it. I did some silly things first (immediately declare on England as Scotland, for instance, or try to wipe Portugal off the map as Castile) before starting up an Ironman as France. Did the typical peace out with England after claiming Normandy, went to war with Burgandy for their French coast, accidentally killed their king, sparked a succession crisis, and ended up splitting Burgandy with Austria less than 2 years into the game. Yeah, France is easy :) (I fully expect to do something stupid in the next few hours and end up with only Ile-de-France, but whatever).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Return to “Gaming”