1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Image
From http://xkcd.com/233/

I'd have to say "No", because I wasn't OTC-ing during the Voldeframe. Does that mean I am a bot?

Yes, you're a bot. A real human would have felt T** E** from anywhere, deep down in their soul. Kinda like if a loved one dies... or you ate tacos the night before.

Instantly? Or would there be a light speed delay? How many loved ones do you have, by the way?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

I'd have to say "No", because I wasn't OTC-ing during the Voldeframe. Does that mean I am a bot?

Yes, you're a bot. A real human would have felt T** E** from anywhere, deep down in their soul. Kinda like if a loved one dies... or you ate tacos the night before.

Instantly? Or would there be a light speed delay? How many loved ones do you have, by the way?

I think there is like a 5 second delay because of sun spots or something.

Also, please excuse the crass-ness of the taco joke. I regretted it as soon as posted, and should have edited, but received a phone call shortly after posting.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blindposted mustard report

I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
The dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Not sure when this happened. The frame is from 22 July, 22:00 UTC (6 pm RDT); the last time I ran the full mustard check was on 23 July, where this frame was checked at 6:21 UTC (2:12 am RDT), so then the original frame was still shown.
The Dialogue page in the wiki still has the old text. But I checked the history, and it appears to have been added within half a newpix of np2995 first appearing, so that doesn't tell us anything.

Therefore, we must keep Newpixbot running, or we will check back one day and realize that Time is now telling a different story.

ETA: Happy 400 posts, Neil_Boekend!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Also, please excuse the crass-ness of the taco joke. I regretted it as soon as posted, and should have edited, but received a phone call shortly after posting.

Hmm, so if A and B are more than 1,5 million km away killing a relative is faster than sending a signal by radio. That is assuming the 5s delay is distance-independant and no other delays are present. We'd have to test the distance dependency. I sure do hope you have enough relatives FOR SCIENCE!
The taco joke was funny. I smiled at it (I almost never really LOL at text. Only Pratchett has that level of humor as far as I know. So smiling at text is quite expressive for me. Reading Discworld has gotten me some weird looks in the train.)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:thirds, Exodies, and anyone who is just discovering the unmentiomable event: I have no cake, but I do have red velvet cookies and mint chip ice cream. Tomorrow, red velvet mint sammiches for all!

I would buy some of that!

azule wrote:O......K...... np(m)3089....NP1254.... a possible 5np away from the last newpix...but it says THE END???? Yes, I concur: dafuq, cry (dry tears), NOOOO, et cetera! Et Cetera, I say!

That wound is still fresh...

azule wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Soup wrote:Alt-text changed.

Nooooooooooo!
!
What The FuQ is the alt-text???? Is it "Noooooooo!" as stated above? People, think of the children! (I mean, the TimeTravelers.)

I have to agree, I don't think anyone ever posted what the hover text changed to at this point, unless I missed it because of all the ... dirt in my eyes.

I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Spoiler:
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
[spoiler]ImageImageThe dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Not sure when this happened. The frame is from 22 July, 22:00 UTC (6 pm RDT); the last time I ran the full mustard check was on 23 July, where this frame was checked at 6:21 UTC (2:12 am RDT), so then the original frame was still shown.
The Dialogue page in the wiki still has the old text. But I checked the history, and it appears to have been added within half a newpix of np2995 first appearing, so that doesn't tell us anything.

Randall is past-posting? Is this a regular check we need to be doing? Next thing we know the story will be totally slightly different.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

One-Liners
From http://xkcd.com/813/

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
NewpixBot Complaint
From http://xkcd.com/371/

One Liners.png

NewpixBot Complaint.png

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
The dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

That is not just a bit of mustard cleaned up. This an incredible significant change :shock: I do not believe any such significant change has ever been made before, has it? I mean, the action itself remains the same, but the change in dialogue indicates something completely different. We knew that the Hill People did not like the Cuegan's tribe, but not really to the extent that they would suffer being chased or having objects thrown at them (as I assume that Cueball is referring to the hillbullies and not Beanies that may be chasing them). We had been left with the impression that the Hill People made stuff, and so, perhaps, were more advanced than the Cueganites. Now we learn that they were scavengers as well?

I do wonder if this is an indication that the GLR has some further story development in mind. One may only hope.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Is there a list, on the wiki or somewhere else, of the unresolved points in the story line? For example:

* Who are/were the hill people
* How long ago were the hill people evacuated by the Beanies
* What did Cueball see floating on the water, when Megan and the 40's welcome party ignored his repeated comments?
* Why did Cuegan and the rest feel safe to disembark the rafts when they did? Where exactly were they?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

My problem is, whenever someone says 'Do Not Read' it attracts my attention and makes me read. Some sort of reverse psychology. :)
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:The snake is my snake and she shall hence be known as Corinne. She will bite your posts and muddle them.

And I have claimed my snake. Past the point that I had a mini-blitz to get through. I'm fast-forwarding a little, though, because I've already read these bits and I am aware of Time possibly being ended. Which really sucks.
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Blindpost from np 1246

jeffallen55 wrote:
mindonner wrote:A skein of geese!

I do love that the collective noun for geese changes depending on whether they're flying or walking.

So, what's the collective noun for chirpies?

If the chirpies are flying, it's a fan; if they're swimming it's a creek; and if they're land-based it's a sack. That's for the scatological version of ch*rp, of course - haven't gotten to the reproductive kind.

Arky wrote:The MegaCastleRaft looks kind of like a wagon train, at this distance and without the benefit of colour or shade to delineate between land and sea.

That's actually what I thought it was before I got to the frame where LaPetite showed up. (Got spoilered several times by post review - “La la la, I can't SEE you!”)

BlueCrab, perpetually 105 np behind :|
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Is there a list, on the wiki or somewhere else, of the unresolved points in the story line? For example:

* What did Cueball see floating on the water, when Megan and the 40's welcome party ignored his repeated comments?
* Why did Cuegan and the rest feel safe to disembark the rafts when they did? Where exactly were they?

As for the last point - when there was a night frame on the rafts it was looking South east I think - it is a very different bit of sky from the long night. I have been trying to analyse that this morning - then the laptop decided to lock up and need a total reset... :roll:

Other unresolved points:
* What happened at Gibralter
* What does the writing in other parts of the med indicate?
* Why would the Beanies have their capital on a small island when there is a massive continent not far away?
* How have the Cuganities survived on the shore of a salt lake? They had Yurts - were they nomadic?
* Given only 40 Cugenities - they must be all highly related. There does not appear to be any old Cugenities.
* Megan can read maps and realises there was writing on the tree - are the literate?
* Beanish, Beanish, Beanish. We need enough to write Perl in Beanish.
* Where did everone in the med go?

We should keep a list of open points on the WiKi - I am sure it would be under 3099 items long (for a while).
Last edited by waveney on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Questions about my identity are now forming. "We think you are LaPetite and we are now watching you." Still watching me, is there proof that I am not, or just not bothered anymore?
Seeking Rainbows

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Holy shit.

Also. mscha, nice one.

Hmmm. Language is a bit strong for someone NOT the pope of the page. TheMinim, take note.

I did not take note at the Time... should I be punished for that? Shit. I really don't care about language though.

Skipping forwards in the thread, I find the spot at which I start this blitz. I cannot skip further, I have to go at my routine pace now. Okay, me?
Seeking Rainbows

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
thirds wrote:Is there a list, on the wiki or somewhere else, of the unresolved points in the story line? For example:

Not unresolved, just unimportant to the plot.

Recently? Also, see above.

Hmmm... that's a good one... I'm going to guess trees and other debris that suggests that the sea is rising faster than they would hope? But yeah, really, why did they completely ignore those comments. Kind of an unfired Chekhov's gun...

As for the last point - when there was a night frame on the rafts it was looking South east I think - it is a very different bit of sky from the long night. I have been trying to analyse that this morning - then the laptop decided to lock up and need a total reset... :roll:

Cool! This actually could be an unresolved question that we stand a chance of at least having decent guesses for. Glad someone's looking into it :)

Other unresolved points:

I don't think we'll ever know exactly, but possibly just the end of an ice age like last time?

Some of it appears to be indecipherable, but I believe other people have offered suggestions as to what it might be. Mostly place names most likely.
* Why would the Beanies have their capital on a small island when there is a massive continent not far away?

Not their capital. They were using it as a staging point for analyzing the coming flood and possibly for rescuing the people in the basin. There was a fair amount of discussion earlier about how empty Rosetta room was. They were just re-purposing the space most likely, and possibly doing some archeology while there?
* How have the Cuganities survived on the shore of a salt lake? They had Yurts - were they nomadic?

If they were nomadic they wouldn't have discussed walking a few days along the coast as if it were a new thing. They also refer to their river and aren't sure if there really are other rivers. This suggests they were fairly sedentary, replying mainly on the materials that flowed down the river from the hill people. But what did they eat???
* Given only 40 Cugenities - they must be all highly related. There does not appear to be any old Cugenities.

Maybe they have a low life expectancy? Also, some of them seemed to have grey hair. Hard to be certain of a stick figure's age though, unless they are hunched, but in such a harsh environment they probably don't usually live that long.
* Megan can read maps and realises there was writing on the tree - are the literate?

Good question! I don't think they can read maps. I think they just understand what a map is and how to use it. If I had to guess, they are literate in physics and math more than writing. What a peculiar culture they come from...

hehe, yeah

huh?

We should keep a list of open points on the WiKi - I am sure it would be under 3099 items long (for a while).
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

waveney

We hope...

Postby waveney » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/212/

Spoiler:
212 modified.png
212 modified.png (46.46 KiB) Viewed 11584 times

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Serious: I hope Minim realizes that, if she continues on this blitzing path of one post per five pastpages, she will have to make more than 170 signposts before she catches up to the current newpage (which will not be the newest newpage at that point). I speak from gravest experience with my own signposting, and I only posted 40 signposts along my own Quest.

Seriously, she did realize that, and so on so forth.

mscha wrote:@TheMinim: I like what you're doing with your constrained Blitz! It's interesting to be reminded about all this Ancient History.

Unfortunately, I never actually did that. I can't even call my Quest legit - I peeked at the future far too often, both comments and using other sites, and I've just skipped over pages - I had read them before, but that shouldn't be an excuse. It's not a true Blitz, but perhaps it can be considered a demi-Blitz from a person with a limited attention span and who skips from activity to activity until Time forgot.

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
Wait, how about this: How many ants are there? Tenants.
<snip>
:D Here are only five, but maybe the others are hiding:
Spoiler:
I'm glad I didn't post that on the last NP, I wouldn't have liked those in my pants.

Neat!

yappobiscuits wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I have decided to do some proper Blitzing, from beginning to end, without peeking at our future. But to be unique, I have set myself a little challenge, to respond to every last post of a page. Such Fun!

Randallspeed on your glorious quest, Minim! (And was that a Miranda reference there?)

Oh yes, definitely!
Seeking Rainbows

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
moody7277 wrote:I find it a bit odd that both charlie and Whizbang would both OTTify the lamp-rubbing othercomic about the same time.

We're also wearing the same colored shirts! And I think we have the same desktop backgrounds, though it is hard to tell. Charlie, clean your windows.

Windowssteambottle?? Not me.

Actually, I did mine independently, though you posted first. I was a page behind. The 3d link pointed me to it. Maybe the same for you.

And "Great minds run in the same ..."
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Questions about my identity are now forming. "We think you are LaPetite and we are now watching you." Still watching me, is there proof that I am not, or just not bothered anymore?

Yes, of course. You disappeared for a seaish time, however, so it was hard. But you did appear again not too long after LaPetite did. So it seems to confirm all suspicions.

And welcome back. The tribe is holding together, mostly. Still a welcoming bunch of crazies.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Hmm, so if A and B are more than 1,5 million km away killing a relative is faster than sending a signal by radio. That is assuming the 5s delay is distance-independant and no other delays are present. We'd have to test the distance dependency. I sure do hope you have enough relatives FOR SCIENCE!

I finally got the joke you were making with this post. I've been doing searches since then for the referenced comic, but can't find it. Mind giving me a link?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip>

Rainbow Falls:
Spoiler:

*jaw drops to the floor*

kenmelken wrote:SO... here is my all-new centennial post to commemorate my 300th, and to share some pizza with all of you. :)
Spoiler:
300posts.gif

Oh wow, I spotted me!

Corinne: I was there too! I was there too!

TimeLurker wrote:Inspired by theMinim's latest ramblings,

I have ramblings? Are any of them cake? Is there any cake that is edible? Isn't cake awesome? Cake is more awesome when there are 42 of them. You'd have to clone 21 cakes if they were to be really awesome. And all of those cakes should have been cloned as well. I wish I had a clone. But then people would probably know I had one and that would suck. Do you like lollipops? I do.

I think I might be a rambler...
Seeking Rainbows

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
waveney wrote:

Not unresolved, just unimportant to the plot.

Recently? Also, see above.

Hmmm... that's a good one... I'm going to guess trees and other debris that suggests that the sea is rising faster than they would hope? But yeah, really, why did they completely ignore those comments. Kind of an unfired Chekhov's gun...
Spoiler:

Cool! This actually could be an unresolved question that we stand a chance of at least having decent guesses for. Glad someone's looking into it :)

Other unresolved points:

I don't think we'll ever know exactly, but possibly just the end of an ice age like last time?

Some of it appears to be indecipherable, but I believe other people have offered suggestions as to what it might be. Mostly place names most likely.

Not their capital. They were using it as a staging point for analyzing the coming flood and possibly for rescuing the people in the basin. There was a fair amount of discussion earlier about how empty Rosetta room was. They were just re-purposing the space most likely, and possibly doing some archeology while there?

If they were nomadic they wouldn't have discussed walking a few days along the coast as if it were a new thing. They also refer to their river and aren't sure if there really are other rivers. This suggests they were fairly sedentary, replying mainly on the materials that flowed down the river from the hill people. But what did they eat???

Maybe they have a low life expectancy? Also, some of them seemed to have grey hair. Hard to be certain of a stick figure's age though, unless they are hunched, but in such a harsh environment they probably don't usually live that long.

Good question! I don't think they can read maps. I think they just understand what a map is and how to use it. If I had to guess, they are literate in physics and math more than writing. What a peculiar culture they come from...

hehe, yeah

huh?

You put that Chekhov gun away right this instant! :evil: I'll not be having any more of that!

Hi Bluecrab! Hi The Minim! :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:It's a lizard unless proven otherwise.

Lizards rule.

Just sayin'.
Seeking Rainbows

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

Lizards rule.

Just sayin'.

Can't disagree there ;)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

Lizards rule.

Just sayin'.

Wait, is this another reptilian government conspiracy theory?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

3089 Colored

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
The End.png

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Blindposting from page 1346 to say hi! *waves* Got distracted by the Outside for a bit. Page 1346 had more awesomeful things, like Jose's AotC epic poem, the Jaws ottification, more great OTThercomics, and karhell!! And other fabulous stuff. I do have sigcouragement for blitzers; I wonder if I should make it more specific. Hmm, just noticed spellcheck doesn't like about a third of the words in my post. Must be something wrong with it...

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Blocks of Ketchup

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

lmjb: It is a well-known fact that spellcheck is heretical. :wink:

Sciscitor wrote:I've been working on some sideproject as well. It is not complete, just a kind of proof of concept. Our OTW is nice, but for keeping large amounts of structured data it isn't really the best thing and it is hard to edit. So I transferred some of the contents into my database and built a userinterface. I plan to add a form to enable anyone to submit data, but not quite yet. I am still struggling with the structure.
I am not a completely happy molpy with the tabs either, but they are caused by a bug in my css-framework, so I had to make an ugly switch to another one. Don't expect all the links to work. (Hint: The one that's working is the "User"-link top left.) However, here is the URL.

Awesomeful, Sciscitor! I'm impressed! :) Loving it so far!
Quick question - only one of my ottifications of OtherComic #442 is appearing; is this because they share the same row in the wiki table?

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Whizbang wrote:http://3d.xkcd.com

How long has this been going on? It doesn't appear to be fully functional. Layout gets messed on almost every comic, the Random button doesn't appear to be working, and so on (unless it is my browser. I'm forced to use IE at work).

Wow. That's awefullsome. Firefox here: layout is good. random doesn't work. Some images have pieces missing, like 870

If I remember correctly, it was an April Fool's Dip joke made by GLR a couple yips back. All the comics were "IN 3-D!" that dip. The new OtherComic at that point was http://3d.xkcd.com/880/
Edit: Found this stray page by GLR talking about it: http://xkcd.com/xk3d/

jovialbard wrote:
thirds wrote:* What did Cueball see floating on the water, when Megan and the 40's welcome party ignored his repeated comments?

I interpreted that moment as: Cueball glimpsed the Raftcastle from afar, but couldn't make out what it was.

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:

Frame 2995, old vs. new:
ImageImageThe dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

That is not just a bit of mustard cleaned up. This an incredible significant change :shock: I do not believe any such significant change has ever been made before, has it? I mean, the action itself remains the same, but the change in dialogue indicates something completely different. We knew that the Hill People did not like the Cuegan's tribe, but not really to the extent that they would suffer being chased or having objects thrown at them (as I assume that Cueball is referring to the hillbullies and not Beanies that may be chasing them). We had been left with the impression that the Hill People made stuff, and so, perhaps, were more advanced than the Cueganites. Now we learn that they were scavengers as well?

I do wonder if this is an indication that the GLR has some further story development in mind. One may only hope.

It's a new newpix! Oh newpix, how I have missed you! I don't mind at all that you are all mustardy and such, it's so good to see you!

That is a very interesting change. It seems GLR wanted to give a different impression of the Hill People. They are not just benign IKEA owners who have been irritated by the Cueganites. Running, yelling, and throwing things at Cuegan makes them seem rather more unpleasant. Also, why the change from "make" to "get"?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

on NP 871, ChronosDragon wrote:
At over 8000 pages and counting, Homestuck is an epic Blitz (in the traditional sense of the word epic).

Thank you, ChronosDragon. It didn't grab me in the first several frames - thank Randall! - so I continue my blitzprowl.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Marsh'n

Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP284 (21%)

Postby Marsh'n » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

I wish to open this blitzpost with an OTTification, partly because I have missed doing them and partly because this one hit my awareness with exactly the mood I wanted to convey. I opted for a "sparse" OTTification because the original had so much to commend it already.

From Lewis Carroll's Prologue to Through the Looking Glass. Also, you can find a musical version with original words by Omnia.

Prologue-Epilogue

Cue of the pure unclouded brow
And dreaming words of wonder!
Though Time be fleet, and I and thou
Are 13-thou asunder,
Our loving tribe will surely hail
The love-gift of a fairy-tale.

I shall not see thy blank round face,
Nor hear thy silver laughter:
No thought of me shall find a place
In Meg and Cue's hereafter--
Enough that now thou wilt not fail
To feature in our fairy-tale.

A tale begun in other days,
When castle walls were growing--
A simple chime, that served up Time
The rhythm of our knowing--
Whose echoes live in memory yet,
Though newpix hence might say "forget".

Come, hearken then, ere voices wend,
With bitter tidings litter'd,
Shall summon to unwelcome end
A melancholy blitzer!
We are but older Waiters, dear,
Who fret to find our lastpix near.

Without, the "mate", the "job", the "days"
Pull us from forum's Madness--
Within, the glow of each newpage
Builds OTTers' nest of gladness.
The magic pix shall hold thee tight:
Thou shalt not heed the Outside's light!

And, though the shadow of a sigh
May tremble through the story,
For "semencoffeesea" gone by,
And vanish'd castle's glory--
It shall not touch with breath of bale,
The pleasance of our fairy-tale.

Though Time be fleet, and I and thou
Are half a world asunder,
Our loving tribe will surely hail
The love-gift of a fairy-tale.

===== Major OTC/OTT Developments =====
@Helper @BlitzGirl @ugmhemhe @buffygirl
Spoiler:
NP201: Helper gives swey "turtle eating strawberry" as runner-up prize - first image-gifting on the OTT?
NP213: "Any idea where the river is now?"/"Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week."
NP223: BlitzGirl - First BlitzPost (ever?)!
NP224: The footnote craze is on.
NP235/236: ugmhemhe asks for a hat, buffygirl fills the order
NP246: Tiny trebuchet!!!
NP248: "I don't understand what the sea is doing." (!)
NP252: The castlelayering (it sounds better in my head) begins.
NP275: "SIP"!

===== Greetings =====
Spoiler:
Hello to more friends who joined since my last greetings: udscbt, StratPlayer, edo, spamjam, AionArap, Montov, Smithers, fhorn, tman2nd, RobIrr, Ebonite, BlitzGirl (first blitzpost, NP223), histrion, descor, partingLance, cmyk, Charm Quark, Actaeus, Kazza3, Flado, marchlight, nickulo, lmjb1964

===== ThankYous, Laughs, and Wows =====
@Vytron @Smithers @JTL @ChronosDragon @KarMann @TheMulattoMaker @udscbt @Angelastic @bigcrag92 @cmyk @mybrainhurts @Wraithlord @Opiboble
Spoiler:
@Vytron: For the sigcouragement. "It's personal now..." 'Nuff said.
@Smithers: Thank you for Lord Randall's Prayer (NP197), and cool time travel for BlitzGirl (NP203)
@JTL: Mind blown Image
@ChronosDragon, KarMann, et al.: For the VNV Nation intro, which led to the Omnia discovery, which led to the OTTification above.

@TheMulattoMaker NP152: "George blather triceratops c'mon Volkswagen Microbus qwerty rain. Umbrella try incognito verisimilitude Garibaldi tangerine Guns 'n Roses isn't watermelon. Wouldn't poor E Pluribus Unum vortex." I nearly peed myself.
@udscbt: NP194, wherein you become a PB&J sandwich cardinal.
@Angelastic: "NaOH's ark"? I see what you did there...
@bigcrag92: "laughing with practically average intensity inside" should become standard interwebtubes lingo, IMO.
@cmyk: NP258, wherein you ship and nuke all in one OTTification; NP263, where you redefine "Catastrophe" as opening the box-portal to the Cretaceous; NP268 "it could've been driftwood, dirt clods, plutonium pellets, a woodchuck, an icosahedrons made out of dead leaves, her used tampons, or even her own poop." (I actually had to put that one on the Wiki, my first contrib there.); NP277 Time/T-Rex/Benny Hill video

@mybrainhurts NP253 (prediction FTW): "They are building a raft upon the middle mound. So when the flood comes they'll escape from this lost island."
@Wraithlord, @Opiboble NP156: Driving through Rhode Island, I made the Jamestown/Jonestown confusion myself earlier the same day I read it on NP156. It's all related...

===== Answers to Questions =====
@bouer @Mr Moriarty
Spoiler:
@bouer NP191: I saw the comic on the first dayapix, but no way to know which frame it was. I read the javascript and decided it was pushing data from a server that I wouldn't be able to chase down, but it was clear to me that it was intended to update. I didn't even know there was a forum at the time, so I didn't join then. At some later time - I am pretty sure it was during blitzgirl's blitz - I came back and read the forum as a guest for a while, and it seemed like a lot of fun, but then the Outside tugged me away again. Finally during the keyboard attack, I decided I needed moral support. Back-blitzed for maybe 50 pages (started somewhere in the middle and read up to the present) before I decided to join.
@Mr Moriarty NP254: Commas are as black as what I see when I close my eyes (or is that comas?); You milk a raptor by feeding it spherical vacuum cows; and, Is that a dare?

===== MIA =====
@Helper, @cmyk, @Smithers, @Mr Moriarty
Spoiler:
I am sad that many of us have disappeared between my blitzpage and the present. Of course, I have no idea who has come back! That said, Helper, where are you? cmyk, your humor always hits me where it hurts from laughing too hard. Practical, sensible Smithers, please stop looking at pictures of sweets and come back to the OTT. And Mr. Moriarty, how will we handle our plutonium safely without the advice of the Holy Geophysicist? Put down the port and get back here!

thirds

Re: Blocks of Ketchup

Postby thirds » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:It's a new newpix! Oh newpix, how I have missed you! I don't mind at all that you are all mustardy and such, it's so good to see you!

"Oh newpix, you're like a big jam doughnut with cream on the top. Your arrival gives us pleasure and your departure merely makes us hungry for more."

BlitzGirl wrote:That is a very interesting change. It seems GLR wanted to give a different impression of the Hill People. They are not just benign IKEA owners who have been irritated by the Cueganites. Running, yelling, and throwing things at Cuegan makes them seem rather more unpleasant. Also, why the change from "make" to "get"?

To clarify that they're not Swedish?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

(Blindposting from NP1300)

Awhile back, I posted a view of the different zoom levels Megball were seen at. Here's an update:
(Yes, the last one also includes the beanies, but it would have been impossible to separate them at that scale)

Speaking of beanies:
Spoiler:
(And of course this one includes Megball)

Also Bunny:
Spoiler:

And La Petite and Le Petit Bangs*:
Spoiler:
*A.K.A. the Littlest Bangs Brother, renamed by me to match his cousin.

And Rosetta:
Spoiler:

And redundancy:
Spoiler:
sizemegball2.png
sizemegball2.png (10.98 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

sizebeanies.png
sizebeanies.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

sizebunny.png
sizebunny.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

sizelapetite.png
sizelapetite.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

sizerosetta.png
sizerosetta.png (6.43 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

rosettaredundant.png
rosettaredundant.png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

EDIT for clarification: Numbers are from geekwagon, as that was easier to scroll through to download the pictures.
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

This is the sysadmin reporting.

Code: Select all

The programmer completely borked down the whole system.  We had to shutdown everything² in order to prevent further data corruption.
We're manually updating the database in reverse order¹.  We should be checking the backups, but I'm watching “Thank You”³ right now.

¹ reverse-ketchupping
³ wow
² read: REISUB
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Sciscitor

Re: Blocks of Ketchup

Postby Sciscitor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:[Snipped] However, here is the URL.

Awesomeful, Sciscitor! I'm impressed! :) Loving it so far!
Quick question - only one of my ottifications of OtherComic #442 is appearing; is this because they share the same row in the wiki table?

Thank you! Yes this is probably the cause. I did some editing in the wiki to make it more parseable by my scripts, but as this is not the intended way to fill the database (only to seed it with some datapoints for testing, I won't go into more work for this. I've added your other OTTerComic manually anyways now. :-)
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Weeee, another tree-sh, sea-ish "Acts". (With a dash of "Alice's Restaurant Massacree"-ish thrown in for good measure.)
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo taps the leftmost Sciscitor Stellar Navigation screen, and a map of what appears to be a large body of water appears on it. With the tap of a few buttons, the word ENLARGING appears, and the screen shows a strait. A few more taps, the word ENHANCING, and three dots appear on the screen with circles and arrows, and a paragraph appears on the rightmost screen explaining what each one was.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1315) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

A quick blindpost to say: it made me happy to see that reference... and to see that someone else caught it. (To another classic of epic length, no less.)

(Also: yay! More AotC!)
Last edited by nerdsniped on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
azule wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Soup wrote:Alt-text changed.

Nooooooooooo!
!
What The FuQ is the alt-text???? Is it "Noooooooo!" as stated above? People, think of the children! (I mean, the TimeTravelers.)

I have to agree, I don't think anyone ever posted what the hover text changed to at this point, unless I missed it because of all the ... dirt in my eyes.

I see how this could be confusing to those in the Past. When the Frame We Don't Mention first appeared, the alt-text initially remained unchanged, which seemed a last glimmer of hope. When it did change, to "T** **d," I posted the announcement quickly to avoid ninja'ing. The multiple "Noooooooooo"s were a shared reaction to seeing the new text.

If OTTers think it appropriate, I can add a spoiler to clarify. Suggestions are welcome.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Spoiler:
WouldNotBlitzAgain.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can lead a molpy to caffeinesemencancerbaconbabiesonice, but you can't make it drink.
Seeking Rainbows

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Nopixly OSH

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Welcome to the OTTer Scavenger Hunt in Time, hereby abbreviated as OSH... ...let's just stick with OSH.

This is the Littlest Bangs Brother.
What newpix is he from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH011.png
OSH011.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 11343 times

Keywords: BGOSH
redundant108.png
redundant108.png (124.84 KiB) Viewed 11343 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Re: Zzzz...

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, uh, forgot about that. Plz don't crush me. Image

akacat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

And you win the thread.

*stares blankly*

I'm...free?

Free? FREE!

*falls immediately into coma*

Spoiler:
WonTheOTT.png

:!: From OtherComic #391

Those comics you be doing back here are really superb. :lol: Not to mention worry-rendering. Because there are some other people in this room neither of whom follow Time or the thread. And I sound like a lunatic when I laugh...
Seeking Rainbows

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Flado wrote:Burned into RAM!? :shock: EPROM, EEPROM, even ROM, I could imagine, but RAM? Next you're gonna try to sell me a RAMsaver...
Personally, everything I know is burned into WOM.

Jose

Write-Only Memory? But then you can't know it anymore... oh. I see. A contradiction ascending to paradox. Well played, your Popiness :-)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”