1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Blocks of Ketchup

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Thanks, Minim. :wink: Nowadips, in the Age of Ottification, OTTercomics are everywhere! But back then they were a bit rarer, I suppose.
Great ottification, Marsh'n! And yes, NP223 had my first blitzpost - way back when!
Thanks for the zoom levels, Earthling on Mars! The Rosetta ones are my favorite. Image

Sciscitor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:[Snipped] However, here is the URL.

Awesomeful, Sciscitor! I'm impressed! :) Loving it so far!
Quick question - only one of my ottifications of OtherComic #442 is appearing; is this because they share the same row in the wiki table?

Thank you! Yes this is probably the cause. I did some editing in the wiki to make it more parseable by my scripts, but as this is not the intended way to fill the database (only to seed it with some datapoints for testing, I won't go into more work for this. I've added your other OTTerComic manually anyways now. :-)
Imageish! Thanks!

thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:It's a new newpix! Oh newpix, how I have missed you! I don't mind at all that you are all mustardy and such, it's so good to see you!

"Oh newpix, you're like a big jam doughnut with cream on the top. Your arrival gives us pleasure and your departure merely makes us hungry for more."

Superb reference, but now I'm thinking of mustardy jam doughnuts, which does not seem appetizing at all. The Outside wiki says, "A common German practical joke is to secretly fill some Berliners with mustard instead of jam and serve them together with regular Berliners without telling anyone." Ewww.

ETA:
Optional decree:
Who is your favorite OTC character?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Re: .?

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Ketchup part 1

AluisioASG wrote:This is the human being reporting.
I've lost all sense of what to do in life. I'm not sure of anything anymore.

Uh oh.. even his avatar disappeared! :cry:

Whizbang wrote:While using Google to search for a comic, I came across this: http://3d.xkcd.com

How long has this been going on?

For some reason I feel like I only discovered that because of google, as well. But it was a few months ago. ..... or maybe it was mentioned in this thread somewhere? :P

Whizbang wrote:Here, have a completely random OTTifications:
Spoiler:

I love this so much, Whizbang! It brought a tear to my eye, almost. I'm such a shipper Image... :?

mscha wrote:I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Wow, awesome catch! It's neat to think he went back through and did some demustarding and clarification. Definitely wonder when it was changed, tho. I can't believe in all our OTTifying of the OTC frames we haven't found that, yet. ;)

ETA: for her momliness' decree... my favorite character is pricklymolp. Or beesnakes.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

magma pixie

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby magma pixie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Blind-posting from NP 1346/1351. Feeling better today. Thanks for well-wishes -- those seen, and any yet unseen. And hugs to thirds on having reached the Unspeakable Event.

Time to ketchup!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

All y'all seem appreciative of songs and science, so I think I'll just plop this video here. It's a fun rap about the scale of the universe with a chorus featuring vihart, definitely worth the watch IMO.

Link

ETA: And my favorite OTC character is Beanie-2, definitely!

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:3089 Colored
Spoiler:

How dare you suggest that T** E** is a matter to be celebrated with fireworks! Blitzgirl, tie her up :twisted: .

For decree: It's a tie between squirpy and pricklymolp.

schwartzbewithyou

Re: Nopixly OSH

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Welcome to the OTTer Scavenger Hunt in Time, hereby abbreviated as OSH... ...let's just stick with OSH.

This is the Littlest Bangs Brother.
What newpix is he from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH011.png

Keywords: BGOSH
redundant108.png

Frame 3030!
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

KETCHUP posting:

@yappo, taixzo, Eternal Density
yappobiscuits wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:In case there's any question I'm temporarily changing my avatar to one that is less Tam-ish and more Beanish.

But...your Buffygirl hat!

Hmm, this raises the question - Is a non-buffyhat exempt from heresy if it resembles a hat actually in the OTC...
*Glares at Eternal Density, but keeps quiet, accepting that with the closure of the BuffyDashery and her resignment (is that a word?) resignation from hatting, her Hattish Authority is no more.*

@azule, ucim - re: ROSETTA's voice for the OTVO!
azule wrote:
ucim wrote:I don't much like the idea of reversing reversed speech... rather, I think layering many tracks of the other words on top of each other as she figures out what she's trying to say would be a faithful reproduction of what the OTA depicted, and would be cool to boot. Add some echo and you're good to go.

I might agree with this on the clear words. For the background words I think the reverse-reverse speech thing would be a sweet effect. The further back the words are the more reverb they would get.
Ooooh, this makes me think of Twin Peaks
[WARNING!! TWIN PEAKS SPOILERS!!!]!
Spoiler:
I'm referring to the end where the residents of the Black Lodge spoke strange-sounding English. I believe they did it by recording the actors saying their lines backwards, and then reversing it so it was forwards. This resulted in understandable but twisted-sounding English. Listen starting at around 3:25. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guwl1w0yFGk

@cellocgw, Jose RE: Alphabet!
cellocgw wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm not sure what to call this, but:
Bade see bee. See beady sea? Ay, 'e seedy bar. Bar bad, see ED!
*chant repeatedly*
C D B. D B S A B-Z B.

Jose

A B C D Goldfish?
Or my parents' fave:
-- FUNEX?
SVFX
--FUNEM?
SVFM
--LFMNX

MR ducks
MR not
OSAR CM wangs?
LIB, MR ducks!

And because I'm having trouble translating some of the others, I will provide the translation here:
Spoiler:
'em are ducks
'em are not!
Oh yes they are, see 'em wings?
'ell I'll be! 'em ARE ducks!

The problem with this one is the WANGS/wings part. I have no idea why it's like that. I'm not the one who made it up!

RE: What's floating on the water?
* What did Cueball see floating on the water, when Megan and the 40's welcome party ignored his repeated comments?

I assumed he saw LaPetite approaching on the sandcastleraft.
(Ninja'd by Blitzgirl!)

RE: NEW MUSTARD!!!
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:That is not just a bit of mustard cleaned up. This an incredible significant change :shock: I do not believe any such significant change has ever been made before, has it? I mean, the action itself remains the same, but the change in dialogue indicates something completely different. We knew that the Hill People did not like the Cuegan's tribe, but not really to the extent that they would suffer being chased or having objects thrown at them (as I assume that Cueball is referring to the hillbullies and not Beanies that may be chasing them). We had been left with the impression that the Hill People made stuff, and so, perhaps, were more advanced than the Cueganites. Now we learn that they were scavengers as well?

I do wonder if this is an indication that the GLR has some further story development in mind. One may only hope.

It's a new newpix! Oh newpix, how I have missed you! I don't mind at all that you are all mustardy and such, it's so good to see you!

That is a very interesting change. It seems GLR wanted to give a different impression of the Hill People. They are not just benign IKEA owners who have been irritated by the Cueganites. Running, yelling, and throwing things at Cuegan makes them seem rather more unpleasant. Also, why the change from "make" to "get"?

And I'm remembering the "I'm surprised we haven't been seen by any people" newpix …

Edit: Added Blue Colorization as Headers for Each Section.
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Happy 700 BuffyGirl!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Happy 700th, buffygirl! :)

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Welcome to the OTTer Scavenger Hunt in Time, hereby abbreviated as OSH... ...let's just stick with OSH.

What newpix is he from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH011.png

redundant108.png

Frame 3030!

Close, but that's not correct!

wizpretz wrote:
Spoiler:

How dare you suggest that T** E** is a matter to be celebrated with fireworks! Blitzgirl, tie her up :twisted: .
I'll just toss some small candies for now...the basement is reserved for those who try to leave. Image

As for the decree, my favorite character...I have to say LaPetite. Image But I have a lot of favorites!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

M2011
Spoiler:
RAINBOW-MOUNTAINSm2011.png

Given how far deep in the Med basin they started, this is a more likely background than a clear sky.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Although you're trying to do ketchup
Looking at stuff that makes you laugh out loud
She leaves one more ottification
How is it we're such a creative crowd?

He must be up to something
A filk or side project? it's more than likely
He's been a-coma at the wrong time
I start to wonder why he is so lazy
(why is he so lazy?)

He says molpy up when the sun goes down,
He says molpy up when the sung goes down,
yeah he says molpy up when the sun goes down
So I'm here...

When the sun goes down - Arctic Monkeys (I skipped a bit at the start)

Even though ketchups are now 2-3 pages rather than 10, I find myself wanting to reply to even more. The quality of this thread has undoubtedly gone up.

Whizbang wrote:http://3d.xkcd.com

How long has this been going on? It doesn't appear to be fully functional. Layout gets messed on almost every comic, the Random button doesn't appear to be working, and so on (unless it is my browser. I'm forced to use IE at work).
It was the 2011 april fools gag

cellocgw wrote:In that case maybe I'll just Skype in, to be on the safe side, from my secret hidden Villain's Lair.

Aren't hidden villains lair's usually in volcanoes? Sooo much safer :wink:

mscha wrote:Blindposted mustard report

That's huge! I'm struggling to consider the implications, but this can only be good.

Whizbang wrote:Redundant+:(Be warned that content may not be suited to all people)
Spoiler:

:lol: That's one of the othercomics I couldn't work out how to OTThercomicify - and not the first on that list that you've done. Kudos!

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, Minim. :wink: Nowadips, in the Age of Ottification, OTTercomics are everywhere! But back then they were a bit rarer, I suppose.

Speaking of which, I sent a request to a few blitzers to send me any they find - I don't know how extensively you've checked the past but this should catch any that have been missed.

Whizbang wrote:So, at mscha's request, I was going back through some old posts to make sure I had linked to the original comics

I'm sure the only reason mscha has yet to do the same is that it was so far in the past :wink:
He/Him/His Image

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Happy 700th, buffygirl! :)

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

What newpix is he from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH011.png

redundant108.png

Frame 3030!

Argh. I was debating between that and 3029! I need a fancy pixel comparing tool
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

HES

Post-Ketchup Ketchup-post

Postby HES » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

For decree, this guy:
Spoiler:

What do you mean that's not a real ONG? Mustard! Randall changed it, I swear!

Happy 700, Buffygirl!
He/Him/His Image

magma pixie

Postby magma pixie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Not caught up yet, but I don't want to forget to note this wowterful colpix. That's really lovely, Tatiana!

Tatiana wrote:Here's my take on frame M3085: Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

M3094
Spoiler:
RAINBOW-MOUNTAINSm3094.png
Near the top
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

HES wrote:Although you're trying to do ketchup
[...]
Treeish otty! And is that BlitzGirl I spied in the video?

I'm loving the colored OTCpix. Great that there's a spot on the wiki for them. Is there a spot for OTC manips too? I only see it for OtherComic otties.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:
Spoiler:

How dare you suggest that T** E** is a matter to be celebrated with fireworks! Blitzgirl, tie herhim up :twisted: .

Not so much celebrating T** E**, but celebrating the work as a whole. When a concert or show or performance ends, you cheer in proportion to your enjoyment. I find it interesting that we, humans, do this only for quick pieces of enjoyment or entertainment like movies and plays. Longer things like the end of a long book or TV series, T** E** of Time, and even the death of a loved one, we meet with anger, resentment, sadness, etc., no matter how much enjoyment we got out of it.

I suppose, in that respect, people's disappointment and shock at T** E** of Time is a huge compliment to Randall.

Anyway, I am sure that fireworks and fanfare were going off in Randall's mind when he finally finished the last panel, though perhaps there was some sadness as well.

And on that serious note, have an OTColored:

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
2515 OTColored.png
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:EndONG

???? :shock:

{P1254}
Oh
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Poor Exodies. He has reached the Newpage of Doom. Where's the ice cream?
Treeish manips, charlie and Whizbang! :)

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
Although you're trying to do ketchup

He must be up to something
A filk or side project? it's more than likely
He's been a-coma at the wrong time
I start to wonder why he is so lazy
(why is he so lazy?)

He says molpy up when the sun goes down,
He says molpy up when the sung goes down,
yeah he says molpy up when the sun goes down
So I'm here...

I approve of the variety of hats and the pink feather boa in that video! Neat ottification!

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

What newpix is he from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH011.png

redundant108.png

Frame 3030!

Argh. I was debating between that and 3029! I need a fancy pixel comparing tool

Also not correct! I suppose this is a tricky game without a pixel-comparer.

For decree: my favorite non-human character is Lucky. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

{P1255}
Anyone have any suggestions for hobbies?

Valarya

Re: Blocks of Ketchup

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Ketchup part 2
(in the present, now)

@Whizbang, charlie_grumbles, Marsh'n, Earthling on Mars, HES and anyone else I missed. Super treeish filking going on. :mrgreen:

BlitzGirl wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:I've been working on some sideproject as well. It is not complete, just a kind of proof of concept. Our OTW is nice, but for keeping large amounts of structured data it isn't really the best thing and it is hard to edit. So I transferred some of the contents into my database and built a userinterface. I plan to add a form to enable anyone to submit data, but not quite yet. I am still struggling with the structure.
I am not a completely happy molpy with the tabs either, but they are caused by a bug in my css-framework, so I had to make an ugly switch to another one. Don't expect all the links to work. (Hint: The one that's working is the "User"-link top left.) However, here is the URL.

Awesomeful, Sciscitor! I'm impressed! :) Loving it so far!

As am I! But I noticed my name wasn't on the list of Users at all, even though I've done an OTTercomic and plenty of OTTifications.

Exodies wrote:
pkcommando wrote:EndONG

???? :shock:

Spoiler:

{P1254}
Oh

Oh boy... and another one reaches the Voldeframe. :cry:

Here's a consolation cupcake for you, Exodies.
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

@Exodies It is OK. Believe me, the OTT has become a hobby all its own.

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:

I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
ImageImageThe dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Not sure when this happened. The frame is from 22 July, 22:00 UTC (6 pm RDT); the last time I ran the full mustard check was on 23 July, where this frame was checked at 6:21 UTC (2:12 am RDT), so then the original frame was still shown.
The Dialogue page in the wiki still has the old text. But I checked the history, and it appears to have been added within half a newpix of np2995 first appearing, so that doesn't tell us anything.
That is not just a bit of mustard cleaned up. This an incredible significant change :shock: I do not believe any such significant change has ever been made before, has it? I mean, the action itself remains the same, but the change in dialogue indicates something completely different. We knew that the Hill People did not like the Cuegan's tribe, but not really to the extent that they would suffer being chased or having objects thrown at them (as I assume that Cueball is referring to the hillbullies and not Beanies that may be chasing them). We had been left with the impression that the Hill People made stuff, and so, perhaps, were more advanced than the Cueganites. Now we learn that they were scavengers as well?

I do wonder if this is an indication that the GLR has some further story development in mind. One may only hope.

It's a new newpix! Oh newpix, how I have missed you! I don't mind at all that you are all mustardy and such, it's so good to see you!

That is a very interesting change. It seems GLR wanted to give a different impression of the Hill People. They are not just benign IKEA owners who have been irritated by the Cueganites. Running, yelling, and throwing things at Cuegan makes them seem rather more unpleasant. Also, why the change from "make" to "get"?

I think the change puts the Hill People on a technological level with the Cueganites, rather than implying that they were somehow more advanced, and able to make things. Now, the dialogue seems to suggest that the Hill People may have had some cache of supplies. While the Cueganites lived in tents, probably semi-nomadic, and relied on scavenging for objects discarded by the Hill People, it may be speculated that the Hill People lived somewhere more permanent, with supplies readily available, more similar to the Beanies who took advantage of an abandoned castle, and whatever else was abandoned with it.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Helper wrote:WAIT. When did THE RECKONING end?

but but but... now i'm used to reading in RECKONING-speak

P211. Finally, I'm out the other side of the reckoning madness. It's a relief to be able to read everything, but there's a hint of sadness that it's finished. Nothing compared to what I know is coming in ~1000 pages.... :`(
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

smolloy wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Helper wrote:WAIT. When did THE RECKONING end?

but but but... now i'm used to reading in RECKONING-speak

P211. Finally, I'm out the other side of the reckoning madness. It's a relief to be able to read everything, but there's a hint of sadness that it's finished. Nothing compared to what I know is coming in ~1000 pages.... :`(

After Smolloy's Madness-inspired bumps yesterday, it's funny to remember that at one point we were reading all that nonsense without missing a beat!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:It's a new newpix! Oh newpix, how I have missed you! I don't mind at all that you are all mustardy and such, it's so good to see you!

"Oh newpix, you're like a big jam doughnut with cream on the top. Your arrival gives us pleasure and your departure merely makes us hungry for more."

Superb reference, but now I'm thinking of mustardy jam doughnuts, which does not seem appetizing at all. The Outside wiki says, "A common German practical joke is to secretly fill some Berliners with mustard instead of jam and serve them together with regular Berliners without telling anyone." Ewww.

ETA:
Optional decree:
Who is your favorite OTC character?

Actually, I think a powdered-sugar doughnut filled with Dijon mustard would be quite good. Must try that some time.

Favorite character? Probably Megan. (Although, to be fair, we didn't really get to know anyone besides Megan, Cueball, Rosetta and LaPetite - nobody else said anything about themselves.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

TheMinim

Re: Under the Same Stars

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and hi blitzing-the-past Minim!
(I know this is present BlitzGirl and not past BlitzGirl, but I had to say hi back!)

Hi! This is... epsilon...
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:{P1255}
Anyone have any suggestions for hobbies?

How do you feel about being locked in a basement :lol:
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

{P1258}
These comments are very distraughtning.
I've never felt so alone.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
* What did Cueball see floating on the water, when Megan and the 40's welcome party ignored his repeated comments?

I assumed he saw LaPetite approaching on the sandcastleraft.
(Ninja'd by Blitzgirl!)

Hmmm, actually you might be right. At first I thought there was too much time between when he saw something on the sea and when LaPetite came onto the frame, but it was really just that black scene change frame and then a couple lines of dialogue. If they are already at the bottom of the mountain, then LaPetite could have just been a small oddly shaped figure on the horizon when Cueball was trying to tell them that something was on the ocean. Okay, I buy it.

eta: @Exodies, aww I'm sorry, there's hugs and cake up here for you :(
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
And:
TheMinim wrote:Too much rot-13! Too much rot-13! Too much this-isn't-rot-13-it's-rot-something-else-and-so-incomprehensible-when-you-put-it-through-a-rot-13-decoder-so-I-won't-read-it-anyway! Ach!

Surely this makes that whole episode worthwhile, no? Minim, you are a gem - I love these little chirps from the past! :)

I'm not a gem; I'm not shiny enough. And too literal. Chirp?
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

FLYONG

anyone can view the older ones at http://xkcd.mscha.org/otcstories or look for new ones there as well. (thanks to mscha for his help!)

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

patzer wrote:<snip>I just noticed an off-by-one error
that that is 316 on Aubron's site is that that is 315 on explainxkcd. Anyone know why this happened?

P213: So, is this the beginning of the schism in the numbering of the panels?
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
TheMinim wrote:How's the future going? Y'all playing fair? Anything interesting going on?

I mean, I'll know eventually, but it is nice to have contact from there. Just to keep me on my way.

...Maybe I ought to carry on reading page 375...

The future's pretty cool!

It had to be said.

I'm trying to get there as fast as possible now - I think reading it all has turned into skimming it all briefly to look at the pictures and any messages to me. Ahh well, I like it like this and want to get there ASAP, if I do it before morning that'll be good as well. I doubt I will, but it is a fast pace, and I vow I will slow down for the last few pages at least. Although if I were to wait for tomorrow I'd probably start off at a reasonable pace then. But I don't really care anymore.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Partial ketchup:

taixzo wrote:
HES wrote:
ucim wrote:I've heard of smart phones (never trust anything that thinks for itself unless you can see where it keeps its brains), but when did dessert attain sentience? I'm not sure I'm comfortable eating things that are smarter than I am.

Just because it's sentient doesn't mean it's smarter than you. Unless it's a soufflé, those things will rule the world some day.

Or, to be precise, a blancmange.

Exactly what I was thinking! I meant to post that, but forgot. :D

And, Tatiana, I forgot to say beautiful colorification!

Ebonite wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm not sure what to call this, but:
Bade see bee. See beady sea? Ay, 'e seedy bar. Bar bad, see ED!
*chant repeatedly*
C D B. D B S A B-Z B.

Jose

I thought I was the only one who had read that!

P.S. Thanks, ZoomanSP!

Nope! My favorite one was "M N X S L-T 4 U".

People, you have some 'splaining to do. What are y'all talking about?
OK, now I see. Never heard of that book b4.

Exodies wrote:While the iron's still hot - Yappobiscuits mentioned "The Book of Dave", that's two - has anyone else read it?

'Fraid not. *looks it up* It sounds...interesting. Not sure I want to read it. :?

Neil_Boekend wrote:I'm kinda bummed that the Voldeframe means I can't do my Thus Ends Time predictions anymore. It was approximately the only thing I really added to this topic.

WRONG! Why ever would you think that, you silly OTTer? You contribute a lot to the OTT, and don't you forget it! Although I did enjoy your EOOTT prediction. :)

AluisioASG wrote:TThis is the human being reporting.
I've lost all sense of what to do in life. I'm not sure of anything anymore.

Noooo! Quick, someone send in a team to rescue Aluisio!

Whizbang wrote:So, at mscha's request, I was going back through some old posts to make sure I had linked to the original comics, and I discovered something. While using Google to search for a comic, I came across this:

http://3d.xkcd.com

How long has this been going on? It doesn't appear to be fully functional. Layout gets messed on almost every comic, the Random button doesn't appear to be working, and so on (unless it is my browser. I'm forced to use IE at work).

:shock: Whoa. That's wild. Seems to work on Chrome.

I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
The dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Not sure when this happened. The frame is from 22 July, 22:00 UTC (6 pm RDT); the last time I ran the full mustard check was on 23 July, where this frame was checked at 6:21 UTC (2:12 am RDT), so then the original frame was still shown.
The Dialogue page in the wiki still has the old text. But I checked the history, and it appears to have been added within half a newpix of np2995 first appearing, so that doesn't tell us anything.

Wow, that's a big change! Nice work, mscha!

OK, back to this thing I keep procrastinating on. Chirpin' Outside stuff.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

He's rebooting, Jim

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

This is the sysadmin reporting.

The databases have been successfully recovered and updated.
We tried to reactivate the system. Now we know what is the real problem.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

FATAL: MISSING OPERATIONAL PLAN
OVERRIDE required to continue with system activation.
System halted.

So, it seems it wasn't the programmer's fault after all. Someone forgot to update the mission objectives.

This is going to be a nightmarish dusk.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Image

It be an river!!!

P213: This is great :) It feels (to me -- a time-traveller who knows the future) that this is the beginning of the story. This is the first revelation by the characters themselves (i.e. not by mscha's examination of the number of pixels of seacoffeesemenbacon rise) that something out of the ordinary is happening.

Great stuff! :)

(I've left in PinkShinyRose's incorrect conclusion that this means that the water is a river for the sake of historical accuracy :) )

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, it seems it wasn't the programmer's fault after all. Someone forgot to update the mission objectives.
When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original objective was to drain the swamp. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
wizpretz wrote:
Spoiler:
How dare you suggest that T** E** is a matter to be celebrated with fireworks! Blitzgirl, tie herhim up :twisted: .

Not so much celebrating T** E**, but celebrating the work as a whole. When a concert or show or performance ends, you cheer in proportion to your enjoyment. I find it interesting that we, humans, do this only for quick pieces of enjoyment or entertainment like movies and plays. Longer things like the end of a long book or TV series, T** E** of Time, and even the death of a loved one, we meet with anger, resentment, sadness, etc., no matter how much enjoyment we got out of it.

I suppose, in that respect, people's disappointment and shock at T** E** of Time is a huge compliment to Randall.

Anyway, I am sure that fireworks and fanfare were going off in Randall's mind when he finally finished the last panel, though perhaps there was some sadness as well.

That is weird, but I suppose it's because longer things like tv series and Time take up a lot more time and are a more important part of your life, while a movie takes two hours and usually doesn't have any further effect on you. I might have spent 100 hours on here thinking about the OTC so it's a lot more important to me than a short movie.
I don't know why I said tie her up. I think I was associating you with your avatar, specifically the women trying to breastfeed the other person. You must be the other person in which case I'm very sorry for you :wink: . I tend to associate a lot of people with their avatars, for example for a long time I thought of Eternal Density as a girl.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Howdy future people of page 997! You guys are all awesome! And so am I! And so are all the other blitzers! Yaaaaaay!
Corinne: I'm awesome too!
TheMinim: You're a snake, it goes without saying.
See you all in the future, and no flame wars! Just candles. :lol:

I've really been enjoying TheMinim's little Blitzposts. :)

We all have. Go TheMinim! Go Corinne!!! :)

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm sort of embarrassed but happy now...

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
ImageImageThe dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Baggish catch1, mscha! And treeish analyses by all y'all so far. I'd like to add the following thought:
IIRC, when Cuegan where following the new commandment and passed through the original frames M2995f., we assumed that they we passing through hill people territory. In particular, we noticed that the tower in M2996 looked like it was built by less skillful people than the Beanie's observation towers. Now that we know that Cuegan were probably not trespassing hill people territory, it becomes clearer that this tower was also an observation tower. So, what did the hill people observe? The Forty? The sea1?
=========================
Well, I wrote this several nopixes ago, but stupid OutsideH got in the way of submitting it. Well, I might as well add some more comments then:
@Marsh'n, HES: treeish ottifications!
@Earthling on Mars: steakish size comparisons! And I like "Le Petit Bangs" very much! Also, it's in line with his family's unfortunate choice of last names, if he and his cousin are called in this order at the same time...
And thanks for the newest OTThercomics4 and OTColourifications4, everyone!
Ice cream cake for Exodies, and the other cakes are for buffygirl, k.bookbinder and Neil_Boekend:

taixzo wrote:Favorite character? Probably Megan. (Although, to be fair, we didn't really get to know anyone besides Megan, Cueball, Rosetta and LaPetite - nobody else said anything about themselves.)

At least until tresoldi achieves a breakthrough. :)
For the mome: My favourite character is pricklymolp.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”