1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMinim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Wheeeeeee - I'm a meteor in a meteor shower!

Edit: And a friggin Page-Pope-Mome-type-thing. Do ghoti have fingers? I decree that I am likely to sit on my hair. But not much of it but the ends. Is that a suitable decree?
Last edited by TheMinim on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Pretty heavy OTT presence in the OTTherComic thread today.

ETA: link
Last edited by Soup on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Soup wrote:Pretty heavy OTT presence in the OTTherComic thread today.

We're everywhere, trapped on a sphere orbiting another one.
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

OTTify the forums!

Just kidding. Don't do this. This would be wrong. Like, as wrong as if Cueball and Megan had decided to turn back home after the Lucky attack.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

ETA: link

There's 31 posts there so far. That's cute :lol:
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

Firstpost, newpage 1255 1260 (how did I do that?)
RagingTyrant wrote:Is it too late to de-lurk?

Thank you all for the insight (the year was 13000!?!?!) and the entertainment, even if I was just a lurker.

And thank you Randal. This creation was completely inspiring. Once again, Bravo. I can only hope for a sequel of some form. (Please tell me this is the basis for a novel....)

And newpage 1256
rainycity1 wrote:Really ? ...

RagingTyrant and rainycity1, thanks for de-lurking... If anyone wiped their tears away long enough to welcome you, I missed it ’cause it's hard to scan posts when your eyes are leaking. :wink:
This has been an amazing experience, and I'm so glad that I joined in; now I have to take a deep breath and continue scrambling for the present!
OTTers against the world!

Keep on Waiting, I'll get there somedip!

...this keeps going through my mind, but I'm ketchupping too hard to make anything more of it:
‘I am the very model of an OTTer of the OTC’ (The Major General's song, Pirates of Penzance)

ETA ‘I note each changing* pixel and define it categoric'ly
I stay up late, neglect my mate, and OTTify deliriously -
I am the very model of an OTTer of the OTC.’

*could be ch*rping

The added lines arrived while I was driving so I don't have the original in front of me (hey, that would fit in the song;) I'll twerk it to fit later if I've gotten it wrong... :P
Last edited by BlueCrab on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I commented on text adventure games several pages ago, and even talked about one I actually wrote, but I got no responses to my post. (In fact, I believe I was page-pope, and made a decree related to Time and text adventures. Not a single person followed it. . .so I thought either my story was extremely boring, or else this topic might be dead.) :-)

Have you looked at the text adventure tool "Quest"?

How did I miss that!? I am sorry. I would have jumped all over that! :mrgreen:

@BlueCrab I do believe those were missed. Nice catch. Hi de-lurkers in the past!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Blue ice cream for BlueCrab!

Waiting for it...

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Firstposts, newpage 1255
RagingTyrant wrote:Is it too late to de-lurk?

Thank you all for the insight (the year was 13000!?!?!) and the entertainment, even if I was just a lurker.

And thank you Randal. This creation was completely inspiring. Once again, Bravo. I can only hope for a sequel of some form. (Please tell me this is the basis for a novel....)

And newpage 1256
rainycity1 wrote:Really ? ...

RagingTyrant and rainycity1, thanks for de-lurking... If anyone wiped their tears away long enough to welcome you, I missed it ’cause it's hard to scan posts when your eyes are leaking. :wink:
This has been an amazing experience, and I'm so glad that I joined in; now I have to take a deep breath and continue scrambling for the present!
OTTers against the world!

Keep on Waiting, I'll get there somedip!

...this keeps going through my mind, but I'm ketchupping too hard to make anything more of it:
‘I am the very model of an OTTer of the OTC’ (The Major General's song, Pirates of Penzance)

I definitely missed those two, so I shall say welcome to you both, and good on you for de-lurking. Hope you're still around!

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

Aww Minim, I would love to see your hair! If I would sit on my hair my spine would have to be extracted first ... and then I would have to find the bloody hair ... :mrgreen:

I was working on some religious art, to the praise of our GLR and the Holy OTTification, and this is what I came up with...

OTC-art1.jpg

Share and enjoy!

[edit] I note that the poor man in the boat is in soar need of a Buffyhat! Is that something that could be arranged?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Reporting in this fine mornix to let y'all know I am embarking on a two-week road trip! Unlike other OTTers who have left for vacations this summix, I will have plenty of internet access and will be staying well ketched up, so you don't have to worry about that (I'm sure you were positively distraught, no need to admit it in front of everyone). However this will mean I'll probably be less creative/productive (or perhaps more...it'll depend on how the environment in the car is), so probably no more OTColoreds, manips, or filk-attempts from me for a while. But only Time will tell. This is CHR-DRG signing off, have a wowterful dip.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@Valarya - I hope you return quickly to full health. I give you the incantation my father used to give me as a child: "Sana te, sana, colita de rana; si no sana hoy, te sana mañana."
Spoiler:
something like: Be healed, be healed, tail of a frog. If you don't heal today, you'll be healed tomorrow.

Thanks, Jose! "Tail of a frog.." hehe, frogmolpy healing mantras work wonders because I feel a tad better this morning. :mrgreen:

k.bookbinder wrote:@Valarya I do hope that you recover quickly. Summer colds are the worst.

Indeed... and thank you. 8-)

@Whizbang - beautiful manip
@Swein - Image Wow, indeed!
@Ebonite - did you retro-edit in a decree? If so that could be why it was missed. :| Sorry! I used to play a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text-based game and loved it.

Speaking of games, guess no one knew who the chirp I edited in to my OTColorization. :wink:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:@Ebonite - did you retro-edit in a decree? If so that could be why it was missed. :| Sorry! I used to play a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text-based game and loved it.

It was a retro-edit, yes, but it was only a few minutes later. I didn't know I was pope until I actually posted. It only took me a few seconds to discover that, and I immediately ETAed the decree. So the only way you would have missed the decree is if you happened to be logged in and read my post in the minute or so between my original post and my edit.

If so, no biggie. I imagine most people looked at it and went, "uh. . .I've never played a text adventure game. . .didn't those go out with 45 records and phone booths?" and ignored the decree. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Valarya wrote:@Ebonite - did you retro-edit in a decree? If so that could be why it was missed. :| Sorry! I used to play a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text-based game and loved it.

It was a retro-edit, yes, but it was only a few minutes later. I didn't know I was pope until I actually posted. It only took me a few seconds to discover that, and I immediately ETAed the decree. So the only way you would have missed the decree is if you happened to be logged in and read my post in the minute or so between my original post and my edit.

I remember seeing your decree, but I was in the Past back then.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

@ChronoDragon Have a wonderful and safe road trip!

Valarya wrote:Thanks, Jose! "Tail of a frog.." hehe, frogmolpy healing mantras work wonders because I feel a tadpole better this morning. :mrgreen:

FTFY ;)

Valarya wrote:Speaking of games, guess no one knew who the chirp I edited in to my OTColorization. :wink:

I thought that perhaps that guy looked like one of the baddies from the old Double Dragon video game. That would be my best guess.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Some progress on the decyphering on Beanish, and lots of great comments on my blog. You might like the corpus on GitHub: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt

I also opened a Beanish topic on the Linguistics board: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104260

BlitzGirl wrote:If you're worried about missing questions directed to you, you can request that OTTers private-message you instead of (or in addition to) posting on the OTT - maybe write that in your sig? :) And feel free to open a new thread elsewhere, just be prepared for an audience that will probably be more general-xkcd-forumers than OTTers. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. But there will be less cake. :wink: And maybe a few questions like, "Why do you call it Beanish?"

I did as you suggested and changed the signature, thank you BlitzGirl. But I will also seach for my username and for "Beanish" from time to time, just to be sure I don't miss a thing (or be a true hacker and write a script to automate it).

BTW, as I said above I opened the new topic, as it was not entirely confortable to be considered the "owner" of the place where to discuss Beanish. But please everybody, contribute and help if you can (even better, open you own Beanish blog! :D )

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, the obvious answer to the last paragraph is to make Beanish the topic of your thesis or dissertation. :) For your other question, BlitzGirl answered it perfectly. As usual. :D

Now, a thesis on Beanish would spoil the pleasure I have in delving into it. :P Just kidding, but there is no way this would happen (my advisor is really a great guy, but in academia he's like the professor from PhD comics... not to mention that my program is in History of Literature -- or "historiography of literature", to be more specific -- and it might take a while to have literature written in proper Beanish ;) ).

mscha wrote:Looks like the Beanie translation project is making good progress, thanks to tresoldi and others!

:)
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:Thanks, Jose! "Tail of a frog.." hehe, frogmolpy healing mantras work wonders because I feel a tadpole better this morning. :mrgreen:
FTFY ;)
It's better to feel a tadpole in the morning than to feel the morning in a tadpole. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Have a fun road trip, ChronosDragon!
Treeish salt flat OTColored, Whizbang!
Awesomeful story, Neil! I well remember my own (temporary) foray into evil, so I enjoyed that. :mrgreen:

ucim wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
FTFY ;)
It's better to feel a tadpole in the morning than to feel the morning in a tadpole. :)

Or to mourn a tadpole with your feelings, I suppose.

The OSH I left before coma is still open for solving:
OSH

This is Megan.
What newpix is she from?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Emotions! Stop attacking me! Ack!

...Help?

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Hooray, I'm in the present! On a Friday, again! Randammit, why can't I ever be in the present day at the beginning of the week? What's that? I should work while I'm at work and only read the OTT at home? Heresy!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Are the Hill People Cylons?

OMR! Either that or a bunch of Mules! (been reading the Foundation Series for the first time...)

Whizbang wrote:I saw this and had to post it here immediately.

Lucky's Conception:
Spoiler:

SSOL (stifle scarf out loud)!!

DrSamCarter wrote:
buffygirl wrote: Keep going Exodies and other Blizters! We can't wait to see you!

Blizters are what you get from blitzing rapidly.

Oops. Fixed!

Swein wrote:Aww Minim, I would love to see your hair! If I would sit on my hair my spine would have to be extracted first ... and then I would have to find the bloody hair ... :mrgreen:

I was working on some religious art, to the praise of our GLR and the Holy OTTification, and this is what I came up with...

OTC-art1.jpg

Share and enjoy!

[edit] I note that the poor man in the boat is in soar need of a Buffyhat! Is that something that could be arranged?

Hmmmm .... perhaps....

Edit: Changed something to avoid Foundation spoiler
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The OSH I left before coma is still open for solving:
OSH

This is Megan.
What newpix is she from?

(I love the OSHes.)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

MY 700th!

Hmmm .... It looks like I failed to post (and subsequently lost) my THANK YOU for all the congrats on my 700th post -- so THANK YOU to TheMinim, BlitzGirl, HES, and ChronosDragon (if I missed someone, apologies)! I LURVE the cake, ChronosDragon!

I can't recall if I've noted or celebrated any of my centennial post-numbers before so...
    WARNING - NSFW!
    Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:MY 700th!

I can't recall if I've noted or celebrated any of my centennial post-numbers before so...

Hmm, on second thought, maybe I won't watch that at work. Probably not the best idea, even with headphones on.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Can I play the OSH too?

This is the sea.
    95b89f81cc82697af9aa07e87b1a3b8f146bc6a996c47a58d278b5240140023ff5f47011ebf02dc81be367952dbe1ae8ca66f3af0edf499b159048d7eeb5271e'.png
    95b89f81cc82697af9aa07e87b1a3b8f146bc6a996c47a58d278b5240140023ff5f47011ebf02dc81be367952dbe1ae8ca66f3af0edf499b159048d7eeb5271e'.png (927 Bytes) Viewed 16178 times

PS. For buffygirl:
    Spoiler:
    Selecting new quote…

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

This post isn't ketchup because I've been keeping up, but it is an accumulation of thoughts I haven't had time to post.

Where they are now:

The trees on the **ding loop are different from any of the trees in the OTC before. I took that to mean that they had reached higher (meaning safe) elevation, but I haven't tried to match the trees with any current flora, African, Madagascar, or Cassinian.

Meaning:

Not every story has meaning, and the meaning, where there is one, differs from person to person, but for the OTC I'm satisified with something along the lines of Megan's "thousand lifetimes" statement
    Spoiler:
    You could spend a thousand lifetimes staring at water and sand, thinking as hard as you could, and you'd never guess the world had things like this in it.

The meaning of the OTT for me might be BlitzGirl's statement
    Spoiler:
    "I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place."

What meaning, if any, do you take from the OTC and OTT?

Weird GIF:

Unrelated unless you count that I encountered it during the time I was reading Time. But it's pretty which

Viewer Count:

I had occasion to forward a link to yappobiscuit's Molpy Grapevine. I had tried to explain it to a friend, and while his eyes didn't glass over and he didn't move away from me on the bench, he didn't express enough humour for me (he didn't laugh). But the number of views was only 1,365. That sounds awfully low doesn't it?

The Book of Dave:

And finally, @Exodies, I have started reading The Book of Dave based on your recommendation and a glance at the plot summary. Interesting and worth it so far.

which I know one of the canonical footnotes is neatquote, but I never remember which one.
    quote The footnote is "neat" and neat.

redundant unrelated (really)
    Spoiler:
    QXO2.gif
    QXO2.gif (1005.04 KiB) Viewed 16174 times

Edit: clarify who wasn't moving away from me on the bench.
    Edit2: I found the BlitzGirl quote I was thinking of.
    Last edited by ttscp on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
    Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

These OSH things are crazy, I don't understand how people keep on solving them so quickly.

BTW, did anyone comment on the One true Scavenger Hunt In Time name? I thought that was hilarious, but I'm not remembering anybody acknowledging it. It couldn't possibly be that we're all too mature around here for such foolishness, could it?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Ximenez is the winner of the 1340 OSH! :) Now to work on Aluisio's...

You're right, jetpac, maturity can't be the explanation. Perhaps it's brain-eating amoebas.
    Spoiler:
    Image<Profile
    ~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You're right, jetpac, maturity can't be the explanation. Perhaps it's brain-eating amoebas.

You know, I haven't heard much talk about them in recent times. They must have gotten to the part of our collective brain that makes us question brain-eating amoebas.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

For BlitzGirl:
    Spoiler:
    Jack Bauer wrote:The following takes place between newpages 1355 and 1356.

The clock wrote:DONG DING DONG DING DONG DING
    Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Naming and Cache Invalidation

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

And double-posting because I can't edit:
    What do you think of the name “Timeventure”? Maybe “TimeVenture” instead? Or something else?
    Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Cake! Yay cake!

Oh, Wait, this is my 2400th post! I should be vulgar and such!

Spoiler:

Muschirp! Muschirp muschirp muschirp!

Look, I'm so vulgar I forced our vulgar words to reproduce and make vulgar yet adorable offspring!

Vulgar is a fun word that doesn't look like a word anymore!

i'm sorry the 24 cake seems to have spiked my adrenaline

vulgar
    Spoiler:
    Image<Profile
    ~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Well, BlitzGirl seems very chirpy at the moment.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Stage 1 of the invasion of the fora is complete. That's right, 1249: "Meteor Showers" is down, I repeat, 1249: "Meteor Showers" is down. There will be no more new comic threads to invade all weekend. We must take this opportunity, we must expand our invasion beyond "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"! By the time we're done, cries of "Wait For It" and "Molpy Down" while ring out through the fora! So, where should we take over next? We could take over Dear SB, they're very vulnerable over there, but that's essentially killing civilians. Tresoldi seems to have created an undercover base in Linguistics, I guess that will do for a start. Let the Blitzkrieg commence!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

FTFY ;)

*snort* You're swimming in cleverness. And I'm terrible at puns.

k.bookbinder wrote:
    Valarya wrote:Speaking of games, guess no one knew who the chirp I edited in to my OTColorization. :wink:

I thought that perhaps that guy looked like one of the baddies from the old Double Dragon video game. That would be my best guess.

Ding ding ding! Abobo! SMASH! :mrgreen:

buffygirl wrote:I can't recall if I've noted or celebrated any of my centennial post-numbers before so...

Bwahahahahaha. Image <-- I died from laughing so hard.

@BlitzGirl: Is the sugar making you Image
    Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
    Occasional basement dweller.

Whizbang
    The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:Stage 1 of the invasion of the fora is complete. That's right, 1249: "Meteor Showers" is down, I repeat, 1249: "Meteor Showers" is down. There will be no more new comic threads to invade all weekend. We must take this opportunity, we must expand our invasion beyond "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"! By the time we're done, cries of "Wait For It" and "Molpy Down" while ring out through the fora! So, where should we take over next? We could take over Dear SB, they're very vulnerable over there, but that's essentially killing civilians. Tresoldi seems to have created an undercover base in Linguistics, I guess that will do for a start. Let the Blitzkrieg commence!

No! The moderators have ignored us since the madness. Do you want them to start editing posts, re-start the madness for this thread only, or, dare I say it, LOCK THE OTT?

I for one welcome our oldnew moderator overlords.

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

@AluisioASG: I think I know which frame that is, the tricky part will be to find it!

! And Aubronwood hasn't worked properly for me in wips :?
    Waiting for it...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:...re-start the madness for this thread only...

Re-start? I don't think it ever left!
    But I wouldn't mind redundant Madness. Image

Valarya wrote:@BlitzGirl: Is the sugar making you Image
    I haven't had anything to eat yet today (besides virtual cake). Maybe semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice minus the semencancerbabiesonice will make it better... *goes to eat*Image
    Spoiler:
    Image<Profile
    ~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Little squirt of ketchup...

Aren't there any Megsetta shippers?

What are you all doing in the other-comic needle pulled thing, I thought it was this one for a while until i tried to go to the next page and saw 1 of 1 :lol:

jetpac wrote:These OSH things are crazy, I don't understand how people keep on solving them so quickly.

BTW, did anyone comment on the One true Scavenger Hunt In Time name? I thought that was hilarious, but I'm not remembering anybody acknowledging it. It couldn't possibly be that we're all too mature around here for such foolishness, could it?

Maybe I just don't get the joke :oops:

Whizbang wrote:
    wizpretz wrote:Stage 1 of the invasion of the fora is complete. That's right, 1249: "Meteor Showers" is down, I repeat, 1249: "Meteor Showers" is down. There will be no more new comic threads to invade all weekend. We must take this opportunity, we must expand our invasion beyond "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"! By the time we're done, cries of "Wait For It" and "Molpy Down" while ring out through the fora! So, where should we take over next? We could take over Dear SB, they're very vulnerable over there, but that's essentially killing civilians. Tresoldi seems to have created an undercover base in Linguistics, I guess that will do for a start. Let the Blitzkrieg commence!

No! The moderators have ignored us since the madness. Do you want them to start editing posts, re-start the madness for this thread only, or, dare I say it, LOCK THE OTT?

I for one welcome our oldnew moderator overlords.

Oh noes! That sounds aweful...some...less?
    __________________(^un?)
    Now you people have me all confused!

eta: Would a blitzkrieg consist of read all the fora?
    Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
    I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
    Also, vlog and short-story blog

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Chinchokmataa wrote:On the subject of things to do for the end of TIme:
    - I definitely think we can have another crack at beanish, however, I will caution that we shouldn't get our hopes up on making too much progress. The data we have about it is rediculously small compared to what would be ideal in order to really have a good go at it. However, it would be nice to know what we can. I'll post some things we can do tomorrow

Extra:
    Spoiler:
    Exodies wrote:How long are these pauses and do we distinguish between a comma pause and full stop pause by length or by semantic content? Are the pauses visible in wave diagrams or do we imagine them? Do people really say "nucular" or is it a trick of the ears?

The actual intonation used for a sentence can vary widely depending on the semantics/pragmatics involved. It is honestly best to understand it not as "pronounced puncuation" but as a set of intonations that are associated with certain types of sentences.

For the most part, no, there are not actual pauses between words or clauses in actual running speech.

Also yes, people do say "nucular" (IPA /nukjulər/) instead of "nuclear" (/nukliər/). Some linguists think the variant came about by analogy with words like "binoculars" or "molecular", with the actual parsing being something like nuke-cular.

(Okay everyone, gotta molpydown).

{P1275}
    Someone I didn't remember having seen before posted the Beanish with its mirror image. This seemed out of the blue, was it a Grendel minion? Is it a clue? (Or was it a regular poster whom I should have known well?)
    What about the writing on the tree, is that visible with the right filters?

Thanks for the spoken punc clarification, Chinchokmataa.
    Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”