1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:To me the T** E** frame is, indeed, the final frame. What follows is analogous to the music and credits at the end of a film. It's there, but it's not part of the story. Also ... well, I only just thought of this, but it sort of emulates the ... hmm, how to describe it? The post-story ... No! a sort of post-coital thing. Yes, I really did just compare the OTC to sex.

So you're comparing it to... La Petite mort?

That was a rather well-timed blind post by azule (and thanks for the support). As one of the people originally involved in this heated discussion, I've said all I need to say about it, I no longer harbour ill will towards edo, and urge others to let go of it- though I agree it was wrong, the past is the past (at least, for those of us in the present).

No no no. Not La Petite Mort! It's POST-La-Petite-Mort! POST-coital, silly goose!

ETA: OMR! Page Pope! Umm ... umm .... I am so honored to receive this ... erm ... honor! I'd like to thank ... erm, well, the OTT and all of it's (heh) awesomefull people and .....

Right! Decree! Righto. Uhm ... RIGHT! Post your... wait, no. Ok, I'll get this. I will ....

I KNOW! Choose your favorite BuffyHat! ("Wow, really? You're going to be THAT self-absorbed?" "Yes! Yes, Randall-Dammit! It's my one claim to fame!!")

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:44 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Also, this one is just screaming to be OTTified:
Spoiler:

Done! Though I'm sure someone else could do better. :wink:

YOU DON'T WANT TO PEEK IN HERE.
Spoiler:
1999XKCD.jpg

busted kitty.jpg

ETA: decree - dude, buffygirl! Everyone is just gonna say their own hat! :mrgreen: (But I really like HES', too. It cracks me up every time I see it.)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Royally chirped sleeping pattern - moply up

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:45 am UTC

What is this heresy? Leave the meteor NOTTers alone before you attract some unwanted attention (I don't like attention)

As for the present past, that's been dealt with. *fetches hose*
Spoiler:

AluisioASG wrote:And double-posting because I can't edit:
What do you think of the name “Timeventure”? Maybe “TimeVenture” instead? Or something else?

I like TimeVenture

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Hey, look what I found - a RELATED OtherComic that isn't actually a true OtherComic but is actually an Outside OtherComic made for an interview GLR had with The New Yorker:

Okay, I know GLR says it's UN-RELATED but I think a double-hatted squirpy qualifies. (As for the rest of it, I think Cuegan might have had an easier Time if they had a molpony to ride. Segway and skateboard may have run into problems when they left the salt-basin.)

He says UN-RELATED to the interview, not to Time. And we now have an answer to the how all the molpies escaped the flood!

BytEfLUSh wrote:And, since we're off-topic already...

When is this needle pulled thing ever on-topic?
He/Him/His Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 am UTC

OMR I was editing my post to add a decree... mentioned something about HES, and then he fucking appeared! Image

I'm magic.

HES, what's your favorite buffyhat.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:51 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I KNOW! Choose your favorite BuffyHat! ("Wow, really? You're going to be THAT self-absorbed?" "Yes! Yes, Randall-Dammit! It's my one claim to fame!!")

MINE! Image

ETA AHH! Magic!

I mean, I heard your call in my dreams and am sleep-OTTing. That's a better excuse than getting up at 2am, right?
He/Him/His Image

Soup

Postby Soup » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Of course, the best buffyhat is "buffygirl's current hat!" :lol:
Last edited by Soup on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: Royally chirped sleeping pattern - moply up

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:57 am UTC

HES wrote:
What do you think of the name “Timeventure”? Maybe “TimeVenture” instead? Or something else?

I like TimeVenture.

Too late. The database has already been created, the files uploaded, etc.

But what about TimeVentura?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Re: Royally chirped sleeping pattern - moply up

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:00 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:

I like TimeVenture.

Too late. The database has already been created, the files uploaded, etc.

But what about TimeVentura?

The Molpy Detective?
He/Him/His Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:02 am UTC

A very old post-response-wall (7/25/13) that I just found in my stuff.

ucim wrote:
lgw wrote:Will someone please have mercy and explain WTF "Helvetica Scenario" means? I'm dyin' here! :D
Look in the alt text here. A helvetica scenario is a completely mustard scientific exploitation on steroids.

Jose

Ok, my hobby: highlighting words or phrases I don't know in the OTT, right clicking on it, and then selecting "Search Google For." Helvetical Scenario. (Hint hint)

SinusPi wrote:Word cloud for Beanish!
Spoiler:

AWESOMEFUL!!!

jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:<snip>frakhorsestaplers, thanks for the Lost answers link. I'll have a better look later, but it looks promising. (At least it tries to deal with my biggest frustration, that Lost and its inhabitants never even attempted to address the paradox of [SPOILER!!].)

ARGH!!! "LOST" SPOILER!
Yes, I one of the five people in the world who has only just started watching Lost (via Netflix)...<snippety>

I'm one as well. Wonder who the other three are?

I almost wanted to say that I was one of the three, but I haven't "only just started watching." I'm more of a "non-watcher" of that particular series. Much prefer old Quantum Leap episodes and The Walking Dead with a hint of Downton Abbey. :D

A modern day Romeo and Juliet get caught up in a mysterious experiment that sends them hurtling through time, not in their own bodies but into the bodies of ordinary people across time. But they are not alone! The shadowy agency responsible for the experiment has sent along stalker agents with them. No matter where they are in time they are caught in a game of intrigue, desperate to find each other among the throngs of contemporaries that surround them so that they can share but a few sweet moments together before being whisked away to a new time and body. But behind every new face could be the person they love desperately or an agent whose only goal is to wipe their very existence from time itself!

That's the best I could do combining Quantum Leap, Walking Dead, and a hint of Downton Abbey... hmm maybe I could replace the agents with a time plague that turns people into mindless time zombies, but then it wouldn't have the intrigue feel that gives it that slight Downton Abbey edge... and even the intrigue is probably a little too high adventure for the true Downton feel, hmm... may need some work...

Oh! I thought for a moment you were describing an actual show -- totally plausible! And by plausible I mean I could believe it was an actual show. Now, if it were an actual show, I would probably say, "Wow, that is sooooo implausible!"

BlitzGirl wrote:I think that this is actually more debris flowing past on the sea-river, so...twigamolpy?

*claps hands and jumps up and down* Twigamolpy! Yes!!! And her math-obsessed cousin, Trigamolpy.

Mikeski wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
shurikt wrote:LOL. The only thread where you can be ninja'd by four pages.
That comment made me LOL.

It is funny how often I write a two-line comment, hit "submit", and have the forum software warn me that four new posts have been added since I started writing.

However, since the forum software does warn you about that, how do we have 1000s of posts complaining of ninja-ing? Are people really posting in the same millisecond that often? It would seem that anyone getting ninja'ed jumped in front of the shuriken intentionally, just so they could complain about it later...

I "preview" dozens of times, and it seems that after the first time you preview, it stops telling you that other posts have appeared. Or at least that's what I've noticed.

ggh wrote:

Hey! How did I miss that you recorded this? I read it (even sung it somehow in my head to the wrong tune... I must have really needed coma.) Great past present present(?)!!!

This link prompted me to listen to it again, and ..... well ... just something in my eye. We love you BlitzGirl!

RobIrr wrote:
Spoiler:
Hi All.

Bloody hell. I let real world distract me from the OTT for a few days, then spend a few more days looking for the time to catch up, prevaricate for ages knowing that the longer I wait, the longer it will take to catch up, and suddenly here I am, 529 pages behind. I've given up; I'm no BlitzGirl (is she still around?) I will go back a few pages, though, and try and work out what the heck you're all going on about. I might have to spend some time in the Wiki - you are keeping it going, I hope!

In the meantime, and partly to explain one of the distractions, might I request anybody with a spare 2 minutes 20 seconds to spare, go here and watch my darling daughter in her first lead role in a film, and if you like it, and if you've got Twitter, click the Tweet button underneath to vote for the film.

OK. Now to catch up on the comic itself....

"A few days" ?!???!!! You've been away FOE-AY-VAH!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 am UTC

Soup wrote:Of course, the best buffyhat is "buffygirl's current hat!" :lol:

No no no. Buffygirl has not changed our hat much recently. We are more interested in the OtherHats created for ... erm ... others....

lgw wrote:Also, love "hillbilly people". I hadn't been thinking of them that way, but now I will until we're shown different.

Someone (BliztGirl?) said hillbully people .... even more descriptive!

(possibly a double-post -- sorry!)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:23 am UTC

MicroBlitz report, NP1338-NP1346

Many, many, many manips, colpix, OTTherComics (and another couple of OTTherOtherComics), OSHes, etc., way too many to call out and still make some blitzing progress...
(Oh, and Whizbang, way ahead of you!)

A tip for those of us who can't do decent hand-lettering (yup, includes me): you don't have to resort to some ugly font that makes it obvious what words or sentences have been replaced: you can use the xkcd font from this yip's April Fools OtherComic. Simply download it, open it and click the ‘Install’ button. (This is on Windows, on other platforms YMMV.)
The font is a bit crude; I got best results by using a twice as large size as needed (often 2×10=20 pt), then resizing it by 50%. On relatively recent OtherComics it's then hard to see the difference. (This one fooled many, for instance.)

OTTifications! ⁷terful, Angelastic (lovely, and another band I'd never heard of worth checking out), Eternal Density (⁴!), again Eternal Density, Angelastic again, lmjb1964, thirds!

Poor thirds...

Good catch on the mustard dialogue, KayZ. I don't think any of us actually noticed at the time. It hasn't been fixed yet – the frame is identical to the one I downloaded at its ONG time. (I wouldn't count on it ever being fixed now that the GLR is comaing for 11,000 years, but you never know.)

Actety clericty
This is a change from the
regular style of the
wonderful Acts.
But as always it's
very exciting, I can't
wait for the next Act!

New newongs⁴ from Latent22! Yay!

Epilogue sequence: finally, the third 24-oldpix loop is broken!
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC
    DE
    A
We might be in a fourth 24-oldpix loop (a.k.a. OTRSv4), we'll know in a dix or so.

Finally: OMR, it's all related!
frame 3086
Last edited by mscha on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:28 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:No no no. Not La Petite Mort! It's POST-La-Petite-Mort! POST-coital, silly goose!

Whoops, I always assume la Mort is after the event, not the event itself, it makes more sense that way. Carry on.

For the decree, hmm... Stratplayer BuffyHat is best BuffyHat.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:Epilogue sequence: finally, the third 24-oldpix loop is broken!
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC
    DE
    A
We might be in a fourth 24-oldpix loop (a.k.a. OTRSv4), we'll know in a dix or so.

Hurray! Image
9 dips of one cycle is a lot! Looking forward to a new pattern!
If slinches's idea that the repetitions correspond to digits is correct, we are now at 3-29.

As for buffyhats, I've always been rather fond of my own. And my buffyboa! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:40 am UTC

mscha wrote:[size=85]A tip for those of us who can't do decent hand-lettering (yup, includes me): you don't have to resort to some ugly font that makes it obvious what words or sentences have been replaced: you can use the xkcd font from this yip's April Fools OtherComic. Simply download it, open it and click the ‘Install’ button. (This is on Windows, on other platforms YMMV.)

Thanks mscha, I'd seen people mention this but didn't know where to get it. I might update some of my text-heavy OTThercomics.
He/Him/His Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:46 am UTC

I've found a few different XKCD fonts that I've used. Specifically this manip and this one have two different fonts I found/downloaded. I just googled and got them, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
ETA: could someone put those two up on the OTTercomic page for me? :oops:

And oh NO, mscha! Not that island! :cry:

Completely un-related, I found this blog-article earlier this evening and found it to be a spot-on and awesome read.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Completely un-related, I found this blog-article earlier this evening and found it to be a spot-on and awesome read.

Oh SO true! Especially about education, school ICT was the biggest waste of time and money. I spent most of the first week of uni "fixing" people's internet... I'm not a computer technician, I just 627 it.

In fact, 627 is more useful than 5 years of IT "classes" combined.

Valarya wrote:ETA: could someone put those two up on the OTTercomic page for me? :oops:

Will do Done. Had to add an entire section especially for you.
He/Him/His Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:33 am UTC

@Swein
Righto ... Hatted Gondolier. Per suggestion by swein

Spoiler:
Here he is!!!

redundant
Spoiler:
OTC-art1-hat2-smlr.png

Note: Hard to create a hat that will stand out at this size.
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:38 am UTC

Wooo new pattern! I forgot to mention it before, and now I can't remember who it was, but whoever used the epilogue pattern as a chord progression did an excellent job.

Oh, and I am quite fond of my buffyhat. I'm not sure I actually deserve it, but it's pretty friggin great :)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 am UTC

HES wrote:
Valarya wrote:ETA: could someone put those two up on the OTTercomic page for me? :oops:

Speaking of helping a fellow OTTer out....

Could someone put BytEfLUSh's two OTTcomics from NP1347 on the wiki, please? They are here and here. I'm sure it would make his day if those could make it to the OTTshrine. (Especially since he wasn't sure how well they'd be received. And look, it would be the third one for 1024. [I remember seeing somebody wondering what would happen when we OTT'ed all of the OtherComics... I think this shows how different people can give a single comic different interpretations. So that means: "1240+ comics" times "1300+ OTTers" equals "no worries about running out".])
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:53 am UTC

jetpac wrote:Wooo new pattern! I forgot to mention it before, and now I can't remember who it was, but whoever used the epilogue pattern as a chord progression did an excellent job.
Thank you; that was me. I have also made more progress in getting Rosegarden to work on my machine, so sometime soon (Randall Willing and the Sea Don't Rise) I'll post an updated version. I'm also working out a different musical interpretation for the next section, but you'll have to follow the first commandment. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:57 am UTC

irino wrote:Comic 170 was already so nice, I thought that nothing short of Time itself would be better. And then this is what happened.
Spoiler:

OK. I am cheating here and re-posting from FB because I saw this there first:

k.bookbinder wrote: I always felt that this comic had a very Calvin & Hobbes feel to it, in look and in dialogue. But I think your OTTification actually brings out even more of a Calvin & Hobbes feel to it. Perhaps this is what the comic really should have been. It may be that GLR had this in mind, all those years ago. This is up there, now, as one of my favorite OTTerComics.

To add: I have to wonder if Time is not a story that the GLR has been wanting to tell for some...well...time. Comic 170 has all the elements: Cueball and Megan in unknown place, what appear to be dried up river beds, the elevation changes, the wow trees. Granted, in this comic, those elements are other more clearly other-worldly. But the original dialogue suggests, to me, that the underlying story was very similar to Time. Now this OTTerComic brings the two together most treeishly.

charlie_grumbles wrote:That is not to say that an author can't mess with you. Read the book The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, for example. Not the movie. They are radically different. The author will mess with you, but it adds to the power of the book. But the movie will ruin the book for you.

That book certainly gave hats a whole new symbolism for me. Was not the hat in the book an homburg?

HES wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I KNOW! Choose your favorite BuffyHat! ("Wow, really? You're going to be THAT self-absorbed?" "Yes! Yes, Randall-Dammit! It's my one claim to fame!!")

MINE! Image

That was going to be my answer! Except I mean my own "mine" and not your "mine". Though yours is very nice, too.

@cellocgw Truly awefulsome story!

@Kieryn I had once tried to go to kieryn.com. I am glad to see that you are developing it further. I cannot wait to see the finished product (well, actually I can - we are all quite good at waiting, but you know what I mean)

@AluisioASG I have no idea what I am doing on Timeventure but I do hope I am doing it right.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 am UTC

irino wrote:Comic 170 was already so nice, I thought that nothing short of Time itself would be better. And then this is what happened.
Spoiler:

When someone mentioned OTTifying this, my first thought was the opposite. It turned out a little more seaish than I had intended:
Spoiler:

Buffygirl: that's amazing!

pelrigg wrote:Could someone put BytEfLUSh's two OTTcomics from NP1347 on the wiki, please? They are here and here. I'm sure it would make his day if those could make it to the OTTshrine. (Especially since he wasn't sure how well they'd be received. And look, it would be the third one for 1024. [I remember seeing somebody wondering what would happen when we OTT'ed all of the OtherComics... I think this shows how different people can give a single comic different interpretations. So that means: "1240+ comics" times "1300+ OTTers" equals "no worries about running out".])

You're right, there are already several that have been done in different ways, including what I've just done. I'll do a sweep through the last dozen or so pages, it's been a while since I did a proper update and I know these aren't the only ones that aren't on there.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 am UTC

jetpac wrote:Wooo new pattern! I forgot to mention it before, and now I can't remember who it was, but whoever used the epilogue pattern as a chord progression did an excellent job.

Oh, and I am quite fond of my buffyhat. I'm not sure I actually deserve it, but it's pretty friggin great :)

What was the link to this again? I read it at a time that I couldn't play audio, and forgot to bookmark the page to come back later.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:08 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
jetpac wrote:Wooo new pattern! I forgot to mention it before, and now I can't remember who it was, but whoever used the epilogue pattern as a chord progression did an excellent job.[...]
What was the link to this again? I read it at a time that I couldn't play audio, and forgot to bookmark the page to come back later.
It's right here. Enjoy!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Yay! I love all the hats I made! AND ...

ARRRGH!!! No such thing as "deserve"!!

[rant]
Spoiler:
When the BuffyDashery received a request, I created a hat. Many of these hats were created for folks whom I now have not seen for a long time on the OTT. Are they undeserving, just because they have not remained faithful to the OTT? NO!

There are a few examples where I hattified without request. I have occasionally chosen to hat someone because I felt they had gone above and beyond expectations in their OTTification (this was in the early days, when graphs were the thing, and it was all new). A few times I created a hat because someone else proposed that a poster should be hattified. But the bulk of the hats were created upon request.

Thank you so much for your appreciation! But seriously -- I hate the idea that BuffyHats were/are indicative of some kind of preferential treatment. It has never been anything of the sort. I put tons of time into every single hat ... and the more Time that passed, the more I challenged myself to create something strange and different.

Right. Done.
[/rant]

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 am UTC

@HES That OTTerComics works so well, too! I love how you OTTified the scene using the 170 dialogue. :mrgreen:

HES

Postby HES » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:22 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:@HES That OTTerComics works so well, too! I love how you OTTified the scene using the 170 dialogue. :mrgreen:

The last two lines are original OTC dialogue, which is what inspired me to do it this way
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:28 am UTC

ucim wrote:
taixzo wrote:
jetpac wrote:Wooo new pattern! I forgot to mention it before, and now I can't remember who it was, but whoever used the epilogue pattern as a chord progression did an excellent job.[...]
It's right here. Enjoy!

Jose

Well done! (Do we have a footnote for that?)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Greetings from sunny rainy Oregon! Having a great start to this summer vacation with 60 degree weather on the beach :P Ah well, what else should I expect from the Oregon coast? Tomorrow should be fun as there's an extraordinarily low tide, which will expose tide pools and caves and things. Maybe I'll make another sand castle, maybe bigger.
Only had 3 newpages to ketchup today, but they were content-filled and non-incendiary so that made me happy. My favorite buffyhat is definitely my own of course, as it eventually inspired me to open my own haberdashery! Or, DragonDashery, to be specific.

I have a question for you OTTers. Today while reading in the car I got legitimate chills from reading an intense part of a book (while listening to the Inception soundtrack, that probably helped). Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, from which books?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57 am UTC

@taixzo Perhaps you can use a footnote such as thissteak?

steak Well done

@ChronosDragon I had a similar experience while reading Iain Bank's The Bridge. I, too, was listening to the soundtrack to Inception! That soundtrack actually suits that book very well.

'Tis late and I must retire.

Good nix all! Coma well, enjoy your dip, keep the faith, and OTTify it!

OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...
OTTify it...

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:08 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Greetings from sunny rainy Oregon! Having a great start to this summer vacation with 60 degree weather on the beach :P Ah well, what else should I expect from the Oregon coast? Tomorrow should be fun as there's an extraordinarily low tide, which will expose tide pools and caves and things. Maybe I'll make another sand castle, maybe bigger.
Only had 3 newpages to ketchup today, but they were content-filled and non-incendiary so that made me happy. My favorite buffyhat is definitely my own of course, as it eventually inspired me to open my own haberdashery! Or, DragonDashery, to be specific.

I have a question for you OTTers. Today while reading in the car I got legitimate chills from reading an intense part of a book (while listening to the Inception soundtrack, that probably helped). Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, from which books?

Yes. The most recent one I can remember is when I got to the end of Ender's Game.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:23 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Today while reading in the car I got legitimate chills from listening to the Inception soundtrack (while reading an intense part of a book, that probably helped).

FTFY.

Hm. I fear I'm in need of another reassignment.
Selecting new quote…

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:29 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Yay! I love all the hats I made! AND ...

ARRRGH!!! No such thing as "deserve"!!

[rant]
Spoiler:
When the BuffyDashery received a request, I created a hat. Many of these hats were created for folks whom I now have not seen for a long time on the OTT. Are they undeserving, just because they have not remained faithful to the OTT? NO!

There are a few examples where I hattified without request. I have occasionally chosen to hat someone because I felt they had gone above and beyond expectations in their OTTification (this was in the early days, when graphs were the thing, and it was all new). A few times I created a hat because someone else proposed that a poster should be hattified. But the bulk of the hats were created upon request.

Thank you so much for your appreciation! But seriously -- I hate the idea that BuffyHats were/are indicative of some kind of preferential treatment. It has never been anything of the sort. I put tons of time into every single hat ... and the more Time that passed, the more I challenged myself to create something strange and different.

Right. Done.
[/rant]

Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to touch a sore spot :)

It's actually quite nice that you gave out the hats regardless of... whatever it was I had in mind when I said "deserve". I dunno, standing or reputation or some other form of merit. Just another example of how accepting this thread has been, I suppose.

svenman

Re: The River is Small...

Postby svenman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:34 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
svenman wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Febrion wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
edo wrote:Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either, but more than anything, I was trying to be helpfmmul. There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want? They won't get the consolation we've been getting. No shoulder for them o cry on. Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking it was more. That this was more.

I won't promise that this is my last post, but it feels like it.

Correct. No one will like it. I get that you feel damaged by the ending, but that gives you no right to try to damage it for others. And the evidence is coming in that you have.

If you want to get respect, you have to show respect. At the current moment that is totally lacking.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where's all this hate coming from? Announcing the end hardly seems like a true spoiler,, just as saying "that movie is 1 hour, 42 minutes long", or "that book has 622 pages". .
To me, what is really "damaging" to the blitzers is pretending that nothing is wrong, and denying them the chance to share support for the end of Time.

{P1277}
This hate is coming from Edo. He did it deliberately and in spite of multiple requests to desist from various people. If my memory was any better and I had noted the time his spoiler sigs appeared I would have had to walk knowingly into The End; fortunately my CRS saved me from that horror. The guy's a chirphole.

I respectfully disagree. I had the impression that Edo sincerely believed he was doing blitzers a service and only got somewhat angry when he felt his efforts underappreciated, or even misconstrued as wilfully malignant.

Also, I'd prefer if we'd all refrain from calling other people - in this thread or elsewhere - unfriendly names. That is not the kind of atmosphere I have come to appreciate in the OTT. Thank you.

<snip>

Well, suppose you are at the movies, watching something for the first time. And some guy stands up in the middle of it and tells you how it ends. Good? A service? Yes, I'd "underappreciate" the guy quite a lot.

He made decisions for other people, and that wasn't his choice to make. Sorry if you disagree. If he had said in his sig, "PM me if you want to know the future," I'd think he would have gotten few takers. His choice, was itself, very "unfriendly".

I didn't say that I think Edo did the right thing. Just that I believe he himself thought so, justifiably or not. Sometimes people are just misguided.

ETA: And with this said, I'm going to step away from the issue. It's water under the bridge, anyway.

ETA2: The issue of Edo's supposed motivation, that is. I still stand by my request to refrain from name-calling. Critisize the act, if you want to, but not the person.
Last edited by svenman on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

irino

Postby irino » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:50 am UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
When someone mentioned OTTifying this, my first thought was the opposite. It turned out a little more seaish than I had intended:
Spoiler:
-snip-

Steak indeed! They have the same feeling to them. It goes either way. Now if this was OTColored...

k.bookbinder wrote:OK. I am cheating here and re-posting from FB because I saw this there first:
k.bookbinder wrote:I always felt that this comic had a very Calvin & Hobbes feel to it, in look and in dialogue. But I think your OTTification actually brings out even more of a Calvin & Hobbes feel to it. Perhaps this is what the comic really should have been. It may be that GLR had this in mind, all those years ago. This is up there, now, as one of my favorite OTTerComics.

To add: I have to wonder if Time is not a story that the GLR has been wanting to tell for some...well...time. Comic 170 has all the elements: Cueball and Megan in unknown place, what appear to be dried up river beds, the elevation changes, the wow trees. Granted, in this comic, those elements are other more clearly other-worldly. But the original dialogue suggests, to me, that the underlying story was very similar to Time. Now this OTTerComic brings the two together most treeishly.

It seems likely. He has probably been looking for a setting for this, probably only one of his biggest ideas. I would imagine that GLR has more ideas waiting for settings, or settings waiting for plots, or even stories waiting for methods of presentation. He's already used the two dimensions of a display in Click and Drag, and the dimension of Time in Time; what could be next? Something new, maybe different.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:Epilogue sequence: finally, the third 24-oldpix loop is broken!
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC
    DE
    A

Hurray! Image
9 dips of one cycle is a lot! Looking forward to a new pattern!
If slinches's idea that the repetitions correspond to digits is correct, we are now at 3-29.

If the pattern continues (and it isn't just my brain seeing things where there's really only mustard), we'll have a single 24hr sequence followed by a new sequence repeated four times. Or this one could run for two weeks!

I guess we'll just have to ...
Spoiler:
Let the pattern develop over time as we OTTify everything we can get our hands on, compose original OTTerific poetry and music, make neat frame manips, create OTC based adventure games, record voice over tracks, post rONGs redundamolpies and desserts of all manner and shapes, play OSHiT, congratulate fellow OTTers on post count milestones and general awesomefulness and try to figure out if there's some other hidden information to discover in the frame sequence data.

For the pagepope: My favorite BuffyHat is, of course, MINE! YEEHAW!! Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:37 am UTC

I'm regularly inspecting Timeventure's database.
Description: An abandoned tent and a fireplace.
Usable items: dilgunnerang, steambottle, bag, stick
Obtainable items: sticks, wood
Action: Inspect fireplace.

Whoever wrote this, knows what they are doing (I think).

Action: look
(Yes, that's all.)

This one, not so much. Unless you manage to describe a place without having looked at it first.

For the pope: I'm on a supposed-3G-expected-2G-actually-sqrt(-1)G connection and it's already painful enough to open the forum on a non-text browser. I'm not going to remember the full list.
Selecting new quote…

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:48 am UTC

HES wrote:

Yeeeeeeee Image Thanks, HES!

ChronosDragon wrote:Greetings from sunny rainy Oregon! Having a great start to this summer vacation with 60 degree weather on the beach :P Ah well, what else should I expect from the Oregon coast?

Ooh, hey. Where abouts are you? I was just all up and down that coast about a month ago!

ChronosDragon wrote:I have a question for you OTTers. Today while reading in the car I got legitimate chills from reading an intense part of a book (while listening to the Inception soundtrack, that probably helped). Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, from which books?

I listen to electronic music, mostly... so a lot of it is really good to have on whilst reading (no lyrics to interfere!). I suppose movie soundtracks work the same way, as I've listened to the LotR soundtrack at work while reading a book before.

The best experience, however, was when I was on the 14th (last) book of the Wheel of Time series. The entire book is a battle, pretty much.. and my boyfriend was playing a JRPG and was in a 20+ minute long boss fight with intense music while I was reading a super intense chapter. Hahah. Not exactly the same thing, but there you go. :oops:

And with that, molpy down!
Spoiler:
squirpy.jpg

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 am UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
ucim wrote:Now... when they gather your health information, social information, and demographics, and then alter the prices (differently from the prices they give your friends) in a manner that alters your diet, that's when it's creepy.

Jose

There is another effect that I worry about, perhaps more. News organizations can and do feed you stories they think will interest you. I got nothing but sports stories in the yahoo news site sidebar for quite a while since I had clicked on something about Venus Williams or the TdF. It took a long time to clear out.

The problem is that, with your profile, they can feed you stuff to influence your opinions on things. If they think you might vote for Grumbles but themselves prefer Blitz, they feed you only stories negative about Grumbles. It can be very subtle. If they know, for example that I like Venus they can let me know that Venus thinks Grumbles is a jerk. (Names changed to protect the innocent, of course.) I prefer to choose what I want to read, rather than have someone else, perhaps with a motive, to do so.

For a very long time I refused to get a Facebook account for these and other reasons. But a while ago I realized that I had basically zero contact with my siblings, so I got an account to at least hear what they were up to. But I make sure to use a separate browser for fb only, and nothing else. Also, I put nothing in my profile. I like to believe that I've at least minimized the negative aspects of it.

{P1282}
As a precautionary measure, I frequently googlebing topics I'm not interested in, watch YouTube clips I don't care about, befriend products, organisations and random people I dislike or don't know on social networks (all of them I can find), buy books and iTunes I wouldn't dream of reading or listening to. By following these tactics I have never had an advert which I have been tempted to click on and I am confident that whoever (e.g.) FaceBook thinks Exodies is, it isn't me. There is a small price to pay in my time and money, but it's a necessary one if one wants to avoid becoming product. Don't forget - you may not have a FaceBook page, but FaceBook certainly has a you page.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:59 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, I gave a second thought at the OTC and OTT books, and I realized it'll be impossible to write a book for each one. They belong together.

For now, I'd like each one of you to write your comments about a frame (or 15, assuming 200 active posters): what did you feel when you saw it, your view on what we discovered with it, i.e. anything about it. But not here; I'm thinking on adapting or writing an offline-capable viewer which would have space for the comments (and could send them later).

{P1282}
This was already started in the wiki many Frames ago.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”