1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JGeezer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby JGeezer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 am UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
JGeezer wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:... I bring you Monomolpy pieces v5.0! Now with improved water transportation!

There's a riverish treebucket on the raft?

BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, keen eyes, charlie! I thought it was a twig, like the rest of the debris. But it would make sense that it remained still for an additional frame if it were the trebuchet...

Augggh! I totally forgot! Oh, the shame ...

What? I'm not ready for a Popeacy! OK, when you molpy down, show us your molpy downing. For example, here's my Lucy:

Totally redundundunant:

Spoiler:
redundant7.jpg
redundant7.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 15186 times

LucySleep2.jpg
Last edited by JGeezer on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:06 am UTC

rONG:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:26 am UTC

Happy 200th, Earthling on Mars
Happy 1000th, ucim (with another sea-ish chapter of "Acts)
Happy 1000th, charlie_grumples (Please. Please don't leave. I Liked the Panther Salve ads. We've all been touchy these last couple weeks.)

Welcome back, HAL9000. Hope you had fun... At least more fun than Allan Sherman did at Camp Grenada. Also, a lighthearted song for a gloomy Newpage.)

I am sorry to see rvloon has decided to revert to lurker status. I know I shouldn't be one to say "No, you must keep posting", since I've gone though 'lurking only' phases myself. But do look in and surprise us with a line every now and then.

Something new on the horizon, kieryn.com and Sciscitor's up and running database. Can't "wait" (well, I guess I can) to see what kieryn has up his sleeve and I did look at Sciscitor's site last dip (which I'll take a longer look at now it's 'official'.)

Bunch of new ottifications, OTComics, and OTTcolors here too. All of them deserving more praise than my Thesaurus can handle....

Love the raft Monomolpy piece schwartzbewithyou. That reminds me I haven't seen any OTT-Chance or OTT-Community Chest cards or Monomolpy Money yet, have I..... Another ongoing project...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:58 am UTC

STRAWBERRY WARNING!!!
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:06 am UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:Hopefully to help with some of the Post-Time Stress Disorder... I bring you Monomolpy pieces v5.0! Now with improved water transportation!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Enhance!
Monomolpy pieces 5.png

enhance.png

Eh? One of 'em is a diaphragm? :oops:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

yappobiscuits

Post-Festival Ketchup

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:47 am UTC

Molpy back! I'm working on a treeish present present, but for now have a seaish ketchup.
BlitzGirl wrote:Have fun at your festival of heavy stocky blood metal, yappo!

Woo, heavy stocky blood metal! Image
Thanks, it was a lot of fun indeed! There were many wowterful bands including Avantasia who I mentioned before in this thread because their latest album is called "The Mystery of Time". IT'S ALL RELATED. Also I managed to get my friends using "treeish" to mean good :mrgreen:. We also did some folky jamming in the campsite which was awesomeful.
Neil_Boekend wrote:Wow yappo, that lineup looks hardcore. In comparison the MFVF lineup is cute (I'll be going there). Have fun and don't break to many fingers. You need them to filk songs!

Well, the MFVF stuff is more my usual cup of tea ;). My friend's band Anwynn played there last year. And I see Crimfall and Dalriada on that lineup! Excellent! I do love my symphonic metal but I tend to be more of a folk metal fanboy :P. And Leaves Eyes, they're pretty folky too!
Neil_Boekend wrote:I am quite curious as to what she has done since she was kicked out of Nightwish, but not curious enough to install a torrent client to check.
I do really like her voice, although I feel Nightwish has improved with Anette (although I only heard Dark Passion Play). Not directly due to the voice, Anette is good but a bit simple, a bit to much like pop song sounds. The depth and range of Tarja's voice is awefulsome. Although in a live performance of Nightwish with Anette she did do an acceptable The Siren. Modified of course, because The Siren has these extremely high notes that she just couldn't do.

Hmm, when checking Wikipedia I see Floor Jansen is lead singer of Nightwish now. Awefulsome! I loved her voice in After Forever! Yaay *waits for it a new album*

It's funny seeing Nightwish (my favourite band ever) being discussed here in the OTT, since my previous "internet home" before I came here was the Nightwish otherforum :P. I almost had to double check that I WAS in the OTT and not over there! :P Anyway, I've never bothered with Tarja's solo work. You get those Nightwish fans who gave up on the band after she left because they thought her voice was what "made" the band, but I couldn't disagree more, it's Tuomas's amazing songwriting which makes the band, that's where the magic comes from. Her solo work doesn't do anything for me without Tuomas's compositions. Anyway, do listen to Imaginaerum! IMO it's way better than Dark Passion Play (since the songs were written with Anette's voice in mind whereas DPP was written before she joined) and it's a much more uplifting and diverse album with none of the mopeyness from DPP (The Poet and the Pendulum was an incredible song musically, but the lyrics were a tad cringeworthy). In fact it's probably my favourite album of theirs. I ottified the song "Scaretale" from it earlier, dunno if you saw that! And yes, Floor is wowterful, but she's not confirmed as the permanent new singer yet. Officially she's just a stand in, but we'll see.
DrSamCarter wrote:A for 'orses
B for mutton
C for yourself
(continued in spoiler)
Spoiler:
D for rential
E for brick
F for vescence
G for police
H for
I for Novello
J for oranges
K for
L for leather
M for sis
N for rence
O for crying out loud
P for
Q for trains
R for the king of Camelot
S for
T for two
U for rear
V for l'amour
W for
X for breakfast
Y for you want to do that
Z for breezes

Hmmm, I was trying to do it from memory without googling, and so ended up missing some and making up others. Having now googled, you can get a quasi-official version here

Oh, I do love that! But I don't get "E for brick" or "U for rear"...
Ebonite wrote:The book that we're all referring to is the children's book "C D B" by William Steig. (Click on the "Look inside" link for a peek.)

Ahh! That's pretty neat!
Marsh'n wrote:I wish to open this blitzpost with an OTTification, partly because I have missed doing them and partly because this one hit my awareness with exactly the mood I wanted to convey. I opted for a "sparse" OTTification because the original had so much to commend it already.

From Lewis Carroll's Prologue to Through the Looking Glass. Also, you can find a musical version with original words by Omnia.

Prologue-Epilogue
Spoiler:
Cue of the pure unclouded brow
And dreaming words of wonder!
Though Time be fleet, and I and thou
Are 13-thou asunder,
Our loving tribe will surely hail
The love-gift of a fairy-tale.

I shall not see thy blank round face,
Nor hear thy silver laughter:
No thought of me shall find a place
In Meg and Cue's hereafter--
Enough that now thou wilt not fail
To feature in our fairy-tale.

A tale begun in other days,
When castle walls were growing--
A simple chime, that served up Time
The rhythm of our knowing--
Whose echoes live in memory yet,
Though newpix hence might say "forget".

Come, hearken then, ere voices wend,
With bitter tidings litter'd,
Shall summon to unwelcome end
A melancholy blitzer!
We are but older Waiters, dear,
Who fret to find our lastpix near.

Without, the "mate", the "job", the "days"
Pull us from forum's Madness--
Within, the glow of each newpage
Builds OTTers' nest of gladness.
The magic pix shall hold thee tight:
Thou shalt not heed the Outside's light!

And, though the shadow of a sigh
May tremble through the story,
For "semencoffeesea" gone by,
And vanish'd castle's glory--
It shall not touch with breath of bale,
The pleasance of our fairy-tale.

Though Time be fleet, and I and thou
Are half a world asunder,
Our loving tribe will surely hail
The love-gift of a fairy-tale.

Treeish! I remember when Rule110 posted "The Alt-Text" I was reminded of Omnia's musical version of The Raven and tried reading it along with that :)
TheMinim wrote:Okay, I did cheat a little. But that's because I knew/heard of the end and needed to get here and have a limited attention span.

And now, my dearies, I be in the Present once more!

Yay, welcome back! *waits for Jose to include Minim in the next AotC* ;)
AluisioASG wrote:So, yesterday (I think it was yesterday), after finishing the map, I kept staring at my computer's screen for about half an hour, wondering what to do next. I felt like my immediate purpose had been erased (long-term goals are different; I have to wait for them). And I continued to feel that for the rest of that day, and during today, until I was reminded of something, which inspired me to do this:
Timeventure's frame describing tab
Considering how well my FrameComments script was received, I'm gonna ask before continuing: would y'll like to help me to write this game?
(Yes, this is just the first part. Later I intend to turn all the data into a playable game!)

Wow, this looks like an awesomeful idea! Can't wait to see more.
BlueCrab wrote:...this keeps going through my mind, but I'm ketchupping too hard to make anything more of it:
‘I am the very model of an OTTer of the OTC’ (The Major General's song, Pirates of Penzance)

ETA ‘I note each changing* pixel and define it categoric'ly
I stay up late, neglect my mate, and OTTify deliriously -
I am the very model of an OTTer of the OTC.’

BlueCrab wrote:Anybody interested in making OTTer of the OTC a collaborative effort? It's a sea-ish song, and I'm still scrambling to ketchup. Which in no way implies approval of eating scrambled eggs with ketchup on them. Ketchup while eating anything you like, but keep the tomato sauce off your eggs.

Aw chirp, now I'll have to sing that too if it gets done XD
ChronosDragon wrote:I have a question for you OTTers. Today while reading in the car I got legitimate chills from reading an intense part of a book (while listening to the Inception soundtrack, that probably helped). Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, from which books?

This sounds like something I should relate to, but actually I don't listen to music when I read. I prefer to fully concentrate on the book, and music tends to distract me.
BlitzGirl wrote:Only a little. :wink: All done now. To be fair, I'm also blitzing the entire archive of Questionable Content at the moment since some OTTers upthread mentioned they followed it. Thanks a lot, you little mustards - I didn't know there were ten yips of it to read! Ah well, at least archive blitzes help me forget that Time... that Time... Image

I've blitzed QC twice, so it is an enjoyable one. Hope you enjoy it too :mrgreen:
StormAngel wrote:OTTification of #609:Tab Explosion
Spoiler:

There have been lots of great OTTercomics but I enjoyed this especially :mrgreen:
HES wrote:In the mean time:
Spoiler:

:mrgreen: One of my favourite gifs ever (surprise surprise) :P
schwartzbewithyou wrote:Hopefully to help with some of the Post-Time Stress Disorder... I bring you Monomolpy pieces v5.0! Now with improved water transportation!
Spoiler:

Woohoo raft! This is coming along very nicely :D
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, plus I fully blame jovialbard for this:

Spoiler:

D'AWW brilliant squirpies :mrgreen:

And because I'm suffering from post-festival exhaustion, molpy down.
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

DrSamCarter

Re: Post-Festival Ketchup

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
DrSamCarter wrote:A for 'orses
B for mutton
C for yourself
(continued in spoiler)
Spoiler:
D for rential
E for brick
F for vescence
G for police
H for
I for Novello
J for oranges
K for
L for leather
M for sis
N for rence
O for crying out loud
P for
Q for trains
R for the king of Camelot
S for
T for two
U for rear
V for l'amour
W for
X for breakfast
Y for you want to do that
Z for breezes

Hmmm, I was trying to do it from memory without googling, and so ended up missing some and making up others. Having now googled, you can get a quasi-official version here

Oh, I do love that! But I don't get "E for brick" or "U for rear"...

Because it's supposedly using a Cockney accent "E for brick" is "'eave (heave) a brick" (wikipedia has "E for Adam", as in "Eve or Adam", but I'm fairly sure my brick is remembered and not made up (there are multiple versions of this alphabet apparently)), and "U for rear" is a stretch -- "euphoria" -- which I confess I made up because I couldn't remember this one (and wikipedia's "U for films" ("UFA films" means absolutely nothing to me))

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:32 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, plus I fully blame jovialbard for this:

Spoiler:

teehee :lol:

eta: eherm, umm, that was a girly giggle :oops: :lol:
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:26 am UTC

Reporting in from the once more cloudy San Francisco again. Was quite lovely earlier today, then in the late afternoon the fog returned, along with some gusty chills. I guess that's normal here?
Spent the first part of the day touring Berkeley (a self-guided tour, with 2 of my siblings and both parents in tow - an ungainly bunch, to be sure) which mostly consisted of reading brief descriptions of the buildings and peeking in to see how they looked on the inside. We looked more extensively through the EECS building, given that's where I intend to major, and while it all seemed quite nice I don't have much of a point of comparison.
After that we drove over to tourist central, Piers 41 and 39. As promised, there were some cute sea molpies lounging about at pier 41 (but I didn't quite feel comfortable with shouting out "SEA MOLPIES!!" in the middle of the crowd, so I just said it quietly to myself). Pier 39 was rather crowded, much more so than last time I was here but probably average for a weekday in the middle of August. We did our duty as obvious tourists and frequented a few of the kitschy, overpriced shops at the pier. My favorite was definitely a quirky little shop on the second story called Fairy Tales, which had a number of majestic dragon figurines and even a couple larger statuettes, and a few shirts as well. I was unable to claim one as my single souvenir for the trip (my parents reasoning that it didn't indicate the city or place of origin anywhere on it - a family rule, though one I frequently dispute) and didn't really feel it a prudent use of the spending money I'd brought along. Then again, what else am I going to spend it on in the near future, video games?
I was sad to come back to so many OTTers indicating their gradual or sudden exit. I suppose it had to begin eventually and will continue until one by one we're all gone, but the knowledge of its inevitability does not soften the pang it causes upon discovery. I'll console myself by remembering the good times we had here and trying to enjoy the ones we can still have, albeit with a smaller number of OTTers. Keep calm and ottify othercomics, I suppose. This is CHRDRG, signing off.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:33 am UTC

Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Enhance!
Monomolpy pieces 5.png

enhance.png

This is fantastic!!

@HAL9000 Welcome back! I had worried that perhaps you had...you know...left, but dare not give voice to such an idea. What few have...you know...is too many, already.

Well now that you are back I am sure that you will get use to the lack-of-ONG.

@Yappobiscuits Welcome back!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:51 am UTC

@ChronosDragron Thanks for your trip updates. Too bad you didn't pick up a least one small dragon souvenir. (Maybe it wouldn't have mbeen inside family rules, but you would have known where it came from. Of course, if you end up at UC-Berkley, you'll know where that shop is....)

Like you said, it's not surprising folks are drifting away. I hope that they'll still check in once in a while. It's a shame though, if someone leaves angry. It does make it hard to return. Your afraid of being embarrassed if you come back, because you think someone will "make light" of you. (To tell the truth, my "posting vacation" a while back did come from being miffed over some things. I guess because I simply stopped posting without explanation, no body noticed.)

Whoa late night fire-side musings....

An OTTcolor to make up for the negativity here.
frame 1181

Spoiler:
1181-color-2.png

Not sure about the cliff-side. Maybe after some practice with my new photo editing platforms I'll re-visit it.

And I just noticed yappo's back from his Metalfest... Looks like you had a great sea-ish time.

Edit two:
I also noticed it's molpy down time for this OTTer once again. (Yep that four letter word "Work" is going to show up tooooo early for my liking.)
Wait Well. We've blitzers aplenty who want somebody to read their posts. And there are still our lost ones to Wait for their return.
Coma Out. (and peace.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Woooooo, welcome back @HAL and @yappo! *glomp* Image

yappobiscuits wrote:We also did some folky jamming in the campsite which was awesomeful.

Woah, loved watching this! You're quite good at that accordion there. Too many buttons for me so I always find those (and guitars) doubly impressive. And the way your hat is hanging makes you seem even more pirate-ish. :mrgreen:

ChronosDragon wrote:As promised, there were some cute sea molpies lounging about at pier 41 (but I didn't quite feel comfortable with shouting out "SEA MOLPIES!!" in the middle of the crowd, so I just said it quietly to myself).

This is how I felt when I traveled to the Oregon coast and went to the Sea Lion Caves recently. In the gift shop I ended up finding pricklymolp and squirpy finger puppets and took pictures for all ya'll - and bought an OTTer magnet which now hangs on my fridge. ;) Glad you were able to do some touring; sorry you weren't able to pick up any souvenirs you wanted.

ETA: awesome OTColorization, @pelrigg!
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:14 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Reporting in from the once more cloudy San Francisco again. Was quite lovely earlier today, then in the late afternoon the fog returned, along with some gusty chills. I guess that's normal here?
Spoiler:
Spent the first part of the day touring Berkeley (a self-guided tour, with 2 of my siblings and both parents in tow - an ungainly bunch, to be sure) which mostly consisted of reading brief descriptions of the buildings and peeking in to see how they looked on the inside. We looked more extensively through the EECS building, given that's where I intend to major, and while it all seemed quite nice I don't have much of a point of comparison.
After that we drove over to tourist central, Piers 41 and 39. As promised, there were some cute sea molpies lounging about at pier 41 (but I didn't quite feel comfortable with shouting out "SEA MOLPIES!!" in the middle of the crowd, so I just said it quietly to myself). Pier 39 was rather crowded, much more so than last time I was here but probably average for a weekday in the middle of August. We did our duty as obvious tourists and frequented a few of the kitschy, overpriced shops at the pier. My favorite was definitely a quirky little shop on the second story called Fairy Tales, which had a number of majestic dragon figurines and even a couple larger statuettes, and a few shirts as well. I was unable to claim one as my single souvenir for the trip (my parents reasoning that it didn't indicate the city or place of origin anywhere on it - a family rule, though one I frequently dispute) and didn't really feel it a prudent use of the spending money I'd brought along. Then again, what else am I going to spend it on in the near future, video games?
I was sad to come back to so many OTTers indicating their gradual or sudden exit. I suppose it had to begin eventually and will continue until one by one we're all gone, but the knowledge of its inevitability does not soften the pang it causes upon discovery. I'll console myself by remembering the good times we had here and trying to enjoy the ones we can still have, albeit with a smaller number of OTTers. Keep calm and ottify othercomics, I suppose. This is CHRDRG, signing off.

Sure is! So you're going to UC Berkeley this fall? I work in Berkeley (I live a bit further east, though. Near Mt. Diablo). It's a nice city, just watch out for the aggressive hobos and stinky hippies downtown.

FWIW, I'm not gone, I'm just lurking a lot of the time when I'm here. Personal stuff has got me more introverted lately.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Firstpost, np 1264
Shiv_L wrote:You guys! I've been lurking here since the beginning of time, I can't believe this is the end... :cry:

Hello, Shiv_L, thanks for letting us know you've been here with us! Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe, isn't it?

Blind question from np 1265:
b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, I have to molpy out for the evening, I'll be back later, to see if the water is still rising. I have an appropriate avatar now, here's hoping hats are still available!!!
Has b2bomberkrh's hat-wish been granted yet? It's really difficult to tell on my phone. :?

Yappobiscuits, amazing audible OTTifications (OTTible OTTifications?)

:oops: I knew the Major General's song had been OTTified but I must have been interrupted while reading it, I was under the impression that it was a fragment. I'd rather not continue fiddling with my version of it now - the ZoomanSP/yappobiscuits version is definitive in my book!

Back to our regularly scheduled program: firstpost!
jrincayc wrote:We still can wait and see if the tides go up and down, and the amount and frequency should give us an idea if the Mediterranean has rejoined the rest of the oceans.
Welcome to the thread, jrincayc! (Now I'm really curious to see if this was possible - this is jrincayc's third fora post, so shouldn't have been significantly delayed...)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 am UTC

neopifex wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Reporting in from the once more cloudy San Francisco again. Was quite lovely earlier today, then in the late afternoon the fog returned, along with some gusty chills. I guess that's normal here?
Spoiler:

Sure is! So you're going to UC Berkeley this fall? I work in Berkeley (I live a bit further east, though. Near Mt. Diablo). It's a nice city, just watch out for the aggressive hobos and stinky hippies downtown.

FWIW, I'm not gone, I'm just lurking a lot of the time when I'm here. Personal stuff has got me more introverted lately.

Not quite, I'm not entering college until 2016 actually (just doing tours here because it's convenient, and nice to think about these things in advance), but Berkeley is certainly somewhere on my list of potential colleges from what I saw of it. Saw a fair share of both aggressive hobos and stinky hippies while there, but they're not quite enough to turn me off of living there for a little while. Probably wouldn't want to settle there permanently, but then I haven't really been happy anywhere but Seattle so far :P

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
neopifex wrote:
Spoiler:

Not quite, I'm not entering college until 2016 actually (just doing tours here because it's convenient, and nice to think about these things in advance), but Berkeley is certainly somewhere on my list of potential colleges from what I saw of it. Saw a fair share of both aggressive hobos and stinky hippies while there, but they're not quite enough to turn me off of living there for a little while. Probably wouldn't want to settle there permanently, but then I haven't really been happy anywhere but Seattle so far :P

Fortunately, most of the hobos and hippies are easy to avoid, since they tend to hang around downtown, Telegraph Avenue and some of the more populous parts of campus. Most of Berkeley is really nice and full of cool people. If you like Seattle, I think you'll definitely like it here. I've never been to Seattle, but friends who have (including people from there who visited or moved here) all seem to agree, they're pretty similar cities. We get significantly less rain, though. :D

Say, how long are you in the area? I could give you some tips on treeish places to visit if your parents are short on ideas.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Another OTColor...ation? ...ization? ...ification?

np2320:

(click for hi-res version)

{P1313}
Very nice selection of colours.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 am UTC

...i haven't left...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 am UTC

neopifex wrote:
Fortunately, most of the hobos and hippies are easy to avoid, since they tend to hang around downtown, Telegraph Avenue and some of the more populous parts of campus. Most of Berkeley is really nice and full of cool people. If you like Seattle, I think you'll definitely like it here. I've never been to Seattle, but friends who have (including people from there who visited or moved here) all seem to agree, they're pretty similar cities. We get significantly less rain, though. :D

Say, how long are you in the area? I could give you some tips on treeish places to visit if your parents are short on ideas.

Unfortunately, we got tomorrow and then we head off east towards Yosemite. And tomorrow is pretty busy, starting with a tour of Stanford and continuing with my younger adopted sister meeting her confirmed (via DNA analysis) cousin, which will happen at a mall and so of course shopping will happen (and since there are females present, you can be assured that will take at least 2 hours). But in case we're back in the near future, let's hear your tips anyway! :D

intheshax wrote:...i haven't left...

Yay :D

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:14 am UTC

I think this is my first OTTherfication.

R. R. Redundant
Spoiler:
My boss was already at the scene..png
Did we get clearance, Oveur?
My boss was already at the scene..png (167.8 KiB) Viewed 14932 times

Movement.png
Movement.png (14.05 KiB) Viewed 14932 times
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 am UTC

One and a half hour without a single pONG.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:45 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:R. R. Redundant
Spoiler:

Oh, I don't know. It's still a lot of fun in the basement.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

waveney

Postby waveney » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Good morning OTTers - have an OTTercomic:

http://xkcd.com/1111/

Spoiler:
1111 modified.png

irino

Postby irino » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:17 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
neopifex wrote:

I know a few people going to Berkeley this year! I myself will be going to UC Davis in a month and majoring in physics, which, I have found out, is more intimidating to Outside people than I thought. I must be reading too much xkcd.

Back when the Timeventure site was linked to, I went there and was presented with what I later figured out was one of the white-out frames. So, I had no idea what to do or how it worked. It was like the Waiters at the beginning of Time that wondered what it all meant.
This is how that went from my mostly-lurking point-of-view:
Spoiler:
I looked at 1190 the morning it was posted. I looked at the title text, and so I went looking for the method of waiting I was supposed to participate in (.gif? javascript?). It was easy enough to tell it wasn't a .gif, and it wasn't a normal .png, so I went to explainxkcd, where I found that it updated. I spent the first thousand or so nps checking the explainxkcd for updates, and I wasn't aware that the thread was getting seaish very quickly. Once I came to check it out, I found all the neat stuff that had been created in the last month. It was quite an experience. I read through random posts, looking at many of the images and learning what semencancercoffeebabies was. I watched for about a month more, then I created an account and posted every once in a while. The volume of the posts was intimidating, so I stayed lurking for much of Time. I learned what Blitzgirl's place was, and what was up with charlie_grumbles' TdF updates. It was all so exciting. There was a culture and lifestyle being created among people that I didn't know, but seemed so welcoming. So I joined. I won't be leaving until everyone else does because this isn't just another individual comic thread. It's a spontaneously created, diverse, and intellectual society that beats anything else I have experienced. If you'd like me to make an OTTercomic or the like, I'd be happy to do so, for those of you less artistic OTTers! Because even when you have something to say but don't know how to express it, you still need a voice. Even for jokes. And I have lots of free time!
And yes, it's always foggy. Keeps the temperature right around 60 the entire year. It's great.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 am UTC

bmonk wrote:[
And, according to the stats, this is my 40th post in the OTT. When does one become an official OTTer?

{P1314}
After your first post, or after reading a post for lurkers. We're the opposite of exclusive.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Np 1264:
rvloon wrote:I had written a nice post (at least I thought so), but apparently it was eaten.

Had to think of this song when reading all the responses to the alleged End of Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7rRSNpvMg - if this is my last goodbye, ...
Oh, Ronald, how could you do that to me? I had just gotten to the point of not crying every ONG...

My apologies. I found it appropriate at the Time.

BlueCrab wrote:
rvloon wrote:<snip>
I had planned to do a Wild Mountain Thyme ottification. I might still do it.
*sniff* Please do, please do! I forgive you in advance, even though I know it'll make me cry for at least a newpix. (I'm not going to stop using OTT terms just because the OTC stopped updating, sheesh.)

Well, I was to go into lurking mode. But OK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvB3g3HEPQ

"Wild Mountain Thyme"

The Song of Time

Now the end of time is coming,
And the tears are all a-flowing
And the followers of Time
Flock all-around together.
Will you go, lassie, will you go?

Chorus:
Will we all stay together
To talk about that wild ride of Time
And to think about whether,
We should stay, lass, or go?

Spoiler:
Now no newpix will be coming
The ONG will not be sounding
Yet there's a place that we can go,
To discuss our time together

If the OTT runs dry
We will surely find eachother
For as great minds think alike
So will we always be an OTTer.

Now the end of time is coming,
And the tears are all a-flowing
And the followers of Time
Flock all-around together.

BlueCrab wrote:
rvloon wrote:ETA: Pope. Decree: listen to a requiem for Time. Suggestions: For the more modern inclined: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem is good. For operatic drama, use Verdi. Otherwise, Mozart's unfinished one.
Oh, you don't want us to stop crying! I see, all right then. I wave my sodden handkerchief in salute and surrender. :cry:

Actually, a Requiem compasses most of the stages of grief. The fact that someone's gone (Requiem), anger (Dies Irae - take Verdi's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVjDP0vlem4), comfort, acceptance... So it was meant as consolation.

Ronald
Last edited by rvloon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1305

Postby azule » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:12 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Image

I wonder if this could be translated, at some point (with enough data), into a waveform.

A brief history of ‘Time.’ (The xkcd comic.) wrote:“Time” is no exception. What starts with the protagonists building a sandcastle, ever-so-slowly escalates to an odyssey that involves shifting geography, dangerous beasts (snakes and giant cats, oh my!), and foreign tribes.
I read the bold as beesnakes...beastssnakes...sounds the same to me? :P

Actaeus wrote:I made an OTColorful thing!

Did I did good? :o

You did. Even inspired me a bit....

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

waveney

OSH

Postby waveney » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:40 am UTC

Its quiet, have an OSH...

This is Megan.
What newpix is she in?

Spoiler:
osh2.png
osh2.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 14697 times

Sciscitor

The Database

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:42 am UTC

Small Database update: Users now with tiny sparkline activity charts under their avatar.

@schwartzbewithyou: Treeish Monomolpy pieces. One minor nitpick though - the trebuchet seems to be lacking a counterweight.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 am UTC

I'm back! I've been off blitzing the othercomics for a few days. Just wanted to let you know I'm still here, so I don't get mugged and dragged to the basement by any cute little black meowlpies! OTT forever! I'm still waiting for it.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am UTC

My favorite question for such tours is, "What do you wish you had known before you got here?" (Or some variation.) It usually gets pretty good (that is, unscripted) answers, some of which can lead to other questions.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 am UTC

irino wrote:I myself will be going to UC Davis in a month and majoring in physics, which, I have found out, is more intimidating to Outside people than I thought. I must be reading too much xkcd.

Yeah, take it from a Physics&Math major whose age can be determined thru Carbon-dating -- all you have to do is say "I'm a physicist" and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly incomprehensible and boring alien species :( . Plan now on staying in school/gradschool/postdoc as long as you can, so you'll be in a community of like souls.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:That reminds me I haven't seen any OTT-Chance or OTT-Community Chest cards or Monomolpy Money yet, have I..... Another ongoing project...

Could make use of the riverish Monopoly page on our wiki. I've made a few edits to set things up.

ChronosDragon wrote:(and since there are females present, you can be assured that will take at least 2 hours)

A little optimistic don't you think? :wink:

Sciscitor wrote:Small Database update: Users now with tiny sparkline activity charts under their avatar.

Ooh, hadn't got round to checking this out. Shiny!
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Re: OSH

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 am UTC

waveney wrote:Its quiet, have an OSH...

This is Megan.
What newpix is she in?

Spoiler:
osh2.png

It's G1511
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
irino wrote:I myself will be going to UC Davis in a month and majoring in physics, which, I have found out, is more intimidating to Outside people than I thought. I must be reading too much xkcd.

Yeah, take it from a Physics&Math major whose age can be determined thru Carbon-dating -- all you have to do is say "I'm a physicist" and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly incomprehensible and boring alien species :(

'Round these parts, you say, 'I'm a physicist' and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly ordinary person who can't think of any better way of starting a conversation than stating the obvious.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Hi everyone!

I'll be away from the OTT for about a wip, visiting a friend close to Kieryn's place. In fact, I was with said friend in Costa Rica when Time started, and after two or three xips, he asked: "Are you still looking at these sandcastles? That's been going on so long now. Don't you think it's boring after a while?" I couldn't explain it to him, and I wonder what he'll say if I tell him that it went on for four mips, and that the thread is still going strong...
Maybe I'll be able to do some small ketchup while I'm away, but there'll be a large amount of it (I hope) when I return.
Keep on waiting (and ottifying and caking and...), I hope all y'all are still here when I return!
Spoiler:

ETA: Hmm, I thought Kieryn mentioned somewhere that he's in New York, but now his marker on the map is in Nashville. Well, I think I'll be close to jetpac, then...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

waveney

Re: OSH

Postby waveney » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
waveney wrote:Its quiet, have an OSH...

This is Megan.
What newpix is she in?

Spoiler:
osh2.png

It's G1511

Yes

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

HES wrote:
pelrigg wrote:That reminds me I haven't seen any OTT-Chance or OTT-Community Chest cards or Monomolpy Money yet, have I..... Another ongoing project...

Could make use of the riverish Monopoly page on our wiki. I've made a few edits to set things up.

Thanks for the reminders. I have been meaning to work on some of those things but...damn Outside.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

waveney

Postby waveney » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Yeah, take it from a Physics&Math major whose age can be determined thru Carbon-dating -- all you have to do is say "I'm a physicist" and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly incomprehensible and boring alien species :(

'Round these parts, you say, 'I'm a physicist' and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly ordinary person who can't think of any better way of starting a conversation than stating the obvious.

I have as a significant hobby - Astrophysics (Irregular galaxies in particular). People expect me to look through telescopes and at pictures and say isn't that pretty. I actually spend my time doing deep numerical analysis using existing public data from serious telescopes (SDSS, Hubble, Galex) that has simply been ignored. I think nothing of using 60 CPU days on my server reducing a vast database to 6 numbers (plus error bars). Around me there is all of 6 astronomical photos that is all. Yes I am a geek.

Sciscitor

Re: Blind-Post NP1305

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:I made an OTColorful thing!Image
Did I did good? :o

Yes you did... and reminded me of a rather profane song (sorry, if it was already posted).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”