Time to get confrontational about peanut butter

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Time to get confrontational about peanut butter

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:I remember the one commercial with the two kids, where one of them ate the centers first, then the outside.

I subscribe to this school of Reese's Cups eating. The outside is chocolatey which is a good chaser for the salty inside, moreso than vice-versa.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby The LuigiManiac » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:45 am UTC

I subscribe to the school of using some crazy spy gadget to lift the middle out and eat it, then eat the edge, and finally put the wrapper through the paper shredder.

...just kidding. I did enjoy those commercials though.

Also, cheese and peanut butter was and will always be awesome, and the same goes for scrambled eggs on peanut buttered toast.

Someone also quoted me a few pages back, saying that the vanilla ice cream/peanut butter cup/peanut butter combination needed a chocolate shell. I actually usually put some on if it's available (along with a pile of other things such as Mini Eggs, Smarties, chocolate chip cookies, etc.), but I just kept the combination short for simplicity. Still, that doesn't lessen the taste sensation that is all four (or more) of those ingredients combined. :)
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!
The LuigiManiac

Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby MFHodge » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

I had a PB&J with crunchy/chunky last night, and I have confirmed by preference for smooth, at least for sandwichs. The crunchy PB was hard to spread. If I was just doing PB on crackers or something, it would have been fine, I think.
MFHodge

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

I seriously had an unnatural crunchy peanut butter and pomegranate jelly sandwich last night and it was kindof like eating pure joy smeared on wheat bread.

Just thought everyone should know.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby MFHodge » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

Did you have sunchips and koolaid with yours? 'Cause I did.
MFHodge

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

No, but I *did* have Jones Berry Lemonade Soda.
Belial

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

If I made a PB&J at night, wrapped it in Cellophane, and then left it in normal room temperature, would it still be good by the morning? My refrigerator has a habit of freezing everything I don't want it to and I don't really have time in the morning to make such a sandwich...
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

What kind of jelly?

Or rather, does the jelly need to be refrigerated?
Belial

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

Strawberry.

Although in the future I plan to make my own strawberry apple mix (Strappleberry!). Just haven't gotten around to getting the fresh fruit and a kitchen I can use. Also a couple hours of free time.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

Do you have, like, an insulated lunchbox you could keep it in with an ice pack or something?
Belial

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

No... And that seems like too much effort for breakfast.

I just want to make sure that my pb&j doesn't spoil overnight so I can have it in the morning. Like... we're talking about 6-10 hours.
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Oh, if you're just going to eat it in the morning, yeah, I can't see how that could go wrong. Mostly, jelly just grows mold, and that takes a while.
Belial

Postby Pesto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Okita wrote:If I made a PB&J at night, wrapped it in Cellophane, and then left it in normal room temperature, would it still be good by the morning? My refrigerator has a habit of freezing everything I don't want it to and I don't really have time in the morning to make such a sandwich...

It would probably be fine, although if this is for lunch the next day, I might actually put it in the freezer overnight. Take it out in the morning, and it should thaw by lunch time. This eliminates all possibility of nasties getting to the sandwich overnight. Freezing shouldn't have any adverse effect on the peanut butter or jelly, and it is better to freeze bread than refridgerate it. Refridgerating bread makes it go stale faster than if it were left at room temperature, but freezing keeps bread fresh the longest.

If you're making it for breakfast the next morning, go ahead and leave it out. I've made sandwiches in the morning, taken them to work and eaten them for dinner with no ill effects. Sleepy time ~ 8 hours. Work day ~ 8 hours.
Pesto

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Oh, if you're just going to eat it in the morning, yeah, I can't see how that could go wrong. Mostly, jelly just grows mold, and that takes a while.

Figure if I make a bunch, then I'll just freeze 'em and then let them thaw overnight. Nice.
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

Jelly doesn't actually spoil very quickly. I had a jar sitting out for about two weeks in an air conditioned box of a room in Texas. I'd worry more about the bread getting soggy than the jelly going bad in a few hours.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.
Flying Betty

Postby Angelene » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

Just how long does it take one to smear two slices of bread?!
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."
Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

Well I gots a whole routine. But mostly it's the having to get out the bread/ peanut butter, smearing the bread, cleaning up. That's around 10 minutes which is more than I am willing to spare in the mornings. I have this whole...take minimum amount of time from getting out of bed to going out the door thing going on.
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Angelene » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Well I gots a whole routine. But mostly it's the having to get out the bread/ peanut butter, smearing the bread, cleaning up. That's around 10 minutes which is more than I am willing to spare in the mornings. I have this whole...take minimum amount of time from getting out of bed to going out the door thing going on.

Ten minutes?? Are you baking the bread? Ah, I do understand spending the longest amount of time in bed possible and all, just, I can't imagine needing longer than 3mins to do it all, but whatever works for you.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."
Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
Okita wrote:Well I gots a whole routine. But mostly it's the having to get out the bread/ peanut butter, smearing the bread, cleaning up. That's around 10 minutes which is more than I am willing to spare in the mornings. I have this whole...take minimum amount of time from getting out of bed to going out the door thing going on.

Ten minutes?? Are you baking the bread? Ah, I do understand spending the longest amount of time in bed possible and all, just, I can't imagine needing longer than 3mins to do it all, but whatever works for you.

10 may be an exaggeration. Probably 5. Nevertheless.
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby parkaboy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

damn. i just ate all my leftover indian food and now i want peanutbutter. i'm not even hungry anymore! but the awesomeness of peanutbutter calls to me.

also, i think it takes longer than 10 minute to bake bread? bakemaster? its been a while. remind me ><

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial
parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

My peanut butter preference: The freshly ground stuff from Whole Foods. It's not creamy, but it's not chunky. And it's damn good.

If the fancy PB is unavailable, I go for chunky. So much better than creamy. When PB is creamy, the whole sandwich just seems mushy and gross.

Belial wrote:I seriously had an unnatural crunchy peanut butter and pomegranate jelly sandwich last night and it was kindof like eating pure joy smeared on wheat bread.

Where did you get pomegranate jelly?! Whole Foods? I rarely go to the jam section there, I am unfamiliar with the selection.
“Did I leave the gas on? No! I’m – no – I’m a fucking squirrel!”
madaloon

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

It was at a Ukrops, actually. We don't have a whole foods around here, much to my chagrin.
Belial

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

I have never heard of Ukrops. I assume that Whole Foods will have the pomegranate jelly, because they have everything tasty. When I go next week, watch out.
madaloon

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

I think it's a regional, mid-atlantic-coast grocery.
Belial

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

madaloon wrote:My peanut butter preference: The freshly ground stuff from Whole Foods. It's not creamy, but it's not chunky. And it's damn good.

If the fancy PB is unavailable, I go for chunky. So much better than creamy. When PB is creamy, the whole sandwich just seems mushy and gross.

You, I like!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
bookishbunny

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

RE: Freezing PB&J sandwiches...

I did that once a few years back. I highly suggest using zipper bags instead of cellophane (saran wrap) or sandwich bags. As your sandwich thaws, condensation may occur, leak into the packaging, thereby ruining said sandwich and causing your breakfast, lunch, or dinner to be full of fail. MIght be better if you can get some of the vacuum-sealing bags, like the Food-Saver machine and accompanying bags.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:
madaloon wrote:My peanut butter preference: The freshly ground stuff from Whole Foods. It's not creamy, but it's not chunky. And it's damn good.

You, I like!

I feel so deviant for focusing on jelly when the thread is devoted to confrontations about peanut butter. PB&J may go together like ramalamalama-kadinkididinky-dong, but they are entirely separate creations.

If you like chunky peanut butter, you are already 20 steps ahead on the "You, I like" list.
madaloon

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

AND we seem to agree on the fresh-squished variety!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
bookishbunny

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

That peanut butter (along with the rest of the bulk section at Whole Foods) has changed my life.
madaloon

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

Mine too. It taught me that preservatives, industrial-grade equipment, and artificial additives don't always make food cheap and lame.

Sometimes they make it cheap and *better*.
Belial

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

True, true. It depends on the product more than anything. Peanut butter is not one of those things that is made better by all the artificial additives.
madaloon

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

Well,
Attachments
stickers-disagree.jpg
stickers-disagree.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
Belial

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

I don't know how to react to that. I just have one question:

Why do you hate natural peanut butter?
madaloon

Postby Ketzerei » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

My guess would be "because he thinks it tastes worse and is likewise inferior in secondary concerns such as price and shelf-life."
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで
Ketzerei

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

Read the past posts where he and I had this 'discussion'. I clearly won :) , but that is neither here nor there.
bookishbunny

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

Price shmice, taste shmaste. Not really. Peanut butter preference is one of those things that is hard to come to agreement.
madaloon

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

I clearly won

Lies. Your peanut butter is composed of pretty much the same stuff, with the same amount of sugar. It's just:

Poorly ground
Prone to separation
Imperfectly preserved, requiring refrigeration

So if I want cold, imperfectly oiled peanut butter with the consistency of lumpy dirt, I'll go natural.
Belial

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

Mine has no added sugar.
bookishbunny

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

Maybe my peanut butter just has special powers, but it does not separate. I don't refrigerate it with no problems arising from the lack of cool. The consistency is a nice, middle ground in the war of creamy vs. chunky. It is spreadable and has some interesting crunch bits.
madaloon

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Mine has no added sugar.

Get me a version with no added sugar, but still possessing the necessary stabilizers and preservatives, and made with a grinder that can actually achieve some smoothness between the chunks, and I imagine that would be great.

However, I'm willing to put up with, and even enjoy, a bit of sugar, in return for shelf-stability and texture.

madaloon wrote:Maybe my peanut butter just has special powers, but it does not separate. I don't refrigerate it with no problems arising from the lack of cool. The consistency is a nice, middle ground in the war of creamy vs. chunky. It is spreadable and has some interesting crunch bits.

It doesn't separate? That is mild madness. What do they do to it?
Belial

PreviousNext

Return to Food