1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 am UTC

⁴ OTTherComics, ED! (Way too many to link. (I wish you wouldn't do so many so quickly, they're much more enjoyable one, or a few, at a time. Seriously: I beg you, slow down.))
Yay, another Heretical Comic! Treeish, Vytron!
Awesomeful OTTherIffication, BlitzGirl!
Awefulsome Field Report, azule! (And welcome back in the present.)
⁷some OTTherCurrentComic, jjjdavidson!
Treeish one, waveney!

⁷, that's an impressive 2-and-a-bit-D sandcastle, taixzo! (And close enough – obviously inspired by the OTC.)

Can we please stop the trick-a-person-into-clicking-on-a-link-by-messing-with-a-spoiler thing? The first couple of times it was original.

Molpy Hunter Update Image

Updated animations:

Bad news... No sign of Snapy since the island is under water. Image But at least Lucky, Squirpy and Prickly are fine... [ETA: I suppose that could be Spapy on a ledge of the watershed. Since it's moving, differences aren't detected very well.]
And how come the watershed is now going right through the hill?

And a
Mustard Update:
As I was making the animations, the current (43rd) frame was updated. Looks like a piece of grapevine was added... (Not included in the animations, but you can see it on the viewer.)

And with that, it's Mopy Hunter Down again...

Edit: sorry, no decree. Just keep up the good work.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:33 am UTC

mscha wrote:Bad news... No sign of Snapy since the island is under water. Image But at least Lucky, Squirpy and Prickly are fine...

I'm pretty sure the molpysnake is now clinging to the right side of the watershed just above the waterline. Image

yappobiscuits wrote:
OTTer Smileys, Round 2
Spoiler:
Here are the requested smileys, as well as a few that weren't requested but I felt like doing anyway!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

(Buffygirl gets two because I wasn't sure which I liked best (or which she'd like best), the classic smiley one or the more photographic one.)

OTTerrific, yappo! Image I'll go add these to the repository!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:34 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:OTTerrific, yappo! Image I'll go add these to the repository!

Thanks! ...but, did you just...?
*Imagine that with roles reversed*
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Not a pun, just a new superlative! I'm running out of ways to compliment all of the treeish/wingish/awesomeful/wowterful ottifications and such, so I came up with a new portmanteau. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:44 am UTC

Hmm, you could try combining them! I've used "wowtertreeish" and suchlike on occasions!

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 am UTC

mscha wrote:And how come the watershed is now going right through the hill?

You're forgetting the other half dimension - its going befront/inhind the hill

Did I say I was molpying down? I lied.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:54 am UTC

HES wrote:its going befront/inhind the hill

I didn't notice the switch until my third reading of this post. My brain has gotten quite accustomed to seeing ottish words in this needle-pulled thing.

yappobiscuits wrote:Hmm, you could try combining them! I've used "wowtertreeish" and suchlike on occasions!

Awetreewingwowsometerfulrrific?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

http://xkcd.com/854/

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:OTTer Smileys, Round 2
Here are the requested smileys, as well as a few that weren't requested but I felt like doing anyway!

Yay! Yaaaaaay! YAY YAAY I CAN'T STOP SMILING, YAY!! Thanks, yappo!

Image The Cardinal of Cupcakes brings thee a related cupcake:
Spoiler:

HES wrote:P2P22 (Portal 2 Present Present #2)
OTT: Hatted now available.

I've been meaning to reply to this here for quite some time. I am so so stuck on this level. :oops: It's chirping huge! That's what she said. I do see where you replied to me on the Steam group page tho, HES. So I'll get with you there next time I open it.

@Eternal Density: "Is mscha happy? *shrug*" I laughed out loud.
Last edited by Valarya on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:20 am UTC

Meta Ottification -- I don't need to draw any images for this:

-- Hey, OTTify this xkcd drawing, ok?
-- What? No, go OTTify it yourself.
-- sudo OTTify this xkcd drawing.
-- Password: molpybeesnakelucky

(I don't seem to have much luck matching the forum's background color)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

yappobiscuits

Re: http://xkcd.com/854/

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Molpvine.
Spoiler:

Valarya wrote:Yay! Yaaaaaay! YAY YAAY I CAN'T STOP SMILING, YAY!! Thanks, yappo!

Image The Cardinal of Cupcakes brings thee a related cupcake:
Spoiler:

Glad you likes it :mrgreen: Yay smiley cupcakes, thanks! :mrgreen:

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Also how am I suddenly female XOR hatless?
Redundant:
Spoiler:
the_ott_madness.png

thanks yappo :D
@Valarya: heh, I had to throw that in when I saw the begging
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:31 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:BlitzGirl - Caaalm thoughts now. It's ok, we're on a pun-free page now. Puuut the chainsaw down. Thaaat's right.
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:...especially Megan and Cue.
Megan and Cue, Megan and Cue
Castle-building duo who don't know much
They're Megan and Cue, Megan and Cue
Awesomeful adventuring pair
ack it's stuck in my head again

And now mine too.

Not mine, even though it does often get stuck in there. I've currently got this stuck in my head and it's too catchy and epic to dislodge...

Wow, that was epic indeed!

Also, I just got a chance to listen to Rest With Me Here, and I love it. Amazing work Yappobiscuits and BlitzGirl!

thirds wrote:Oh my god.

A PNG in Polish? wat.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

Albo coś w tym stylu.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
thirds wrote:Oh my god.

Spoiler:

A PNG in Polish? wat.
Mogę potwierdzić, że wydaje polskiego do mnie też.

ETA
http://xkcd.com/152/
Spoiler:
hamster_ball.png
hamster_ball.png
hamster_ball.png
hamster_ball.png

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 am UTC

BONGO...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 am UTC

GRAPEVINE! GRAPEVINE!
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Ah!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:33 am UTC

HES wrote:GRAPEVINE! GRAPEVINE!

I was gonna say that I called it but then I realised that the grapevine was actually already visible when I said that, which is actually a reverse call and thus a seaish failure on my part.

taixzo

Re: Why does BlitzGirl usually end up in my OTThercomics?

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:OTTification of http://xkcd.com/1120/ plus a few odds and ends I found lying around and put together and some actual new lines and curves!
I can't draw hats.
Quote:
Spoiler:
"Randchirped" was probably a poor choice of words. Sorry.
blurring_the_line.png

Well, this spoiler-link was handy. I wanted to post a reply, and this link opened up a reply box without my having to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page! (Which is my only gripe with Pikrass's multi-quote script.)

cellocgw wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I don't even know what entropy is, but still, nice t-shirt! :D

Easy: just Google for the Rules of Thermodynamics. Colloquially translatable as:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't get out of the Game.

So, in other words, they can be summarized as:
"Entropy: You just lost twenty dollars and my self respect."

(sorry, everyone)

ucim wrote:
Chapter 25

It was a perilous journey to the base of the waterfall. The BlitzRockets had to be abandoned on the ledge because, as the Pope said, "Where we're going, we must go together", so the hatches were sealed and they were left to their fate, whatever it might be. The water was rising quickly, so they abandoned the campsite and scurried up the ledge. His Meowjesty edfel, the Holy Catographer, joined the Pope at the lead once they were all out of immediate danger, and they determined the best way to get to the base of the waterfall. The ridge they were on split the flow and allowed them to get close to the center of the cataract, but it also meant that they were trapped on an island as the sea was rising. The Pope knew this, and so did edfel, but most of the clerecy simply put their faith in the Pope. He didn't look like a baobab, but he did seem to know what he was doing.
Spoiler:
The noise was deafening. Even though the waterfall was still eight kiloque away, the thundering roar of the water cascading over a vertical drop a thousand times the height of a person echoed throughout the valley, mingling with the churning rapids below that were, even as they watched, carving a new channel in the very rock upon which they were riding. It was extremely difficult for the clerecy to talk to each other, and in the noise, BlitzGirl could hardly hear the foreign couple, nor they her, as they tried to communicate. But this turned out to be an advantage. Even though she couldn't hear the words, she could put together the meaning from their gestures, which were exaggerated to compensate for the din around them. She did the same, making lexical leaps with abandon, and the sounds started to filter in and make sense in context. She got a lot wrong, but that was quickly corrected, and pretty soon she was communicating with the couple as easily as the clerecy was communicating amongst themselves. That is to say, not very well, but it was something.

Even on coconuts, it took a full ong to cover the distance to the edge of the narrow slip of land they were clinging to. The mist coming off the falls was thick, giving the entire ride a surreal look in the morning sun, and slowing them down enough so they could appreciate its awefulsomeness. As they got closer, the sheer height of the waterfall began to overwhelm the clerecy, as if they were walking into the terrifying mouth of the Creator itself. It was a true test of their faith, not only in the Pope, but in all that they believed in. Each one felt humbled by the faith that the rest of the clerecy had in continuing on, and emboldened by that devotion, drew further on his or her own. None of them however realized that everyone else felt the same way, or they would have long ago turned back. The Pope was right, where they were going, they had to go together.

Soon they came to the end, and for better or for worse, could go no farther. The waterfall stretched in front of them from left to right as far as the eye could penetrate. It would go clear to the horizon if the mist would allow them to see that far. So great was the height from which it cascaded that the torrents of water seemed to be falling from the sky itself.

If ever there was a time to feel insignificant in the face of nature, this was it.

The Pope took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon out from under his cloak, and turned to face the clerecy. In a voice that would have echoed across the valley, he spoke, but nobody heard anything over the noise. Realizing the futility of this, he stopped and turned to the second scribe and said, "Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish upon it your most fervent desires, and imbue it with all your faith and all your strength. We must do this, each and every one in the clerecy, ere we loose this power against this Most Holy Torrent, that it not destroy us, but instead nourish us in Glory."

The second scribe took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon from the Pope, bowed her head, made her wishes and prayers, and then passed it on to edfel, saying "Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish for your most fervent desires, imbuing it with all your faith and strength. Each cleric must do this ere we loose this power against this Most Holy Torrent, that it nourish us in Glory and not destroy us."

Then edfel took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, bowed his head, made his wishes and prayers, and passed it on to CasCat, saying "Take this Arrow, and fervently desire all your faith and strength. We must all do this ere we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent, and nourish it in Glory as it destroys us."

CasCat took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon with a look of puzzlement, bowed his head, thinking to himself that he wished he were strong and had enough faith. He then handed it over to the fourth cleric, saying, "Take this fervent Arrow with all your faith and strength as we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent as it destroys us in Glory."

It went on like this until the sixth scribe got the Arrow. Rather than pray, he walked up to the Pope and asked, "Are you sure you have the right prayer?" He told the Pope what the previous holder had told him, and the Pope thought for a moment. He then gave the Holy Arrow of Armageddon back to the Second Scribe, and asked if she could repeat the prayer verbatim.

"Of course I can. I'm a scribe.", she said, and she repeated it back flawlessly. The Pope then told her to carry the sacred Artifact to each and every member of the clerecy herself, so that the proper instructions would be carried out. This worked out much better, and she could feel the power of the Arrow increase each time. This took the better part of an ong, as the sea continued to rise. Soon the water had reached up over the edge of the ledge and their little prominence started getting smaller, but by that time all the prayers had been made, and the second scribe brought the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, now bristling with Power, back to the Pope. BlitzGirl followed her, trailed by with the foreign couple, who were talking agitatedly.

The Pope took the Holy Arrow from the second scribe with reverence, and felt its new Power. It would not be enough. He looked over the clerecy as the waters crept around them; how could it not be enough? This represented the entire faith - all the hopes and dreams and fears of everyone there. And everyone was there... except of course for the Blitzers, who were still on their Quest. He contemplated this. We are all vital to the life of the clerecy, including the blitzers, and this Arrow is now reflecting this very fact. But we must act now or there won't be anything for them to return to when their Quest is done. The Pope bowed his head, and once again made his prayer unto the Arrow, with all his most fervent desires, all his faith, and all his strength. Still, it was not going to be enough.

BlitzGirl interrupted his reverie. "I think I understand what our friends are on about!", she said. She pointed downstream. "Their family, their friends, all that they know and love, is there. They tried to rescue them but could not. They are asking for our help. Somehow." The two foreigners began to speak excitedly to the Pope, but the Pope could not hear or understand anything above the din of the waterfall and the rapids. He looked at them, then at BlitzGirl.

"Do you think you can tell them what the Prayer over the Arrow means?", asked the Pope. "Do you think they can do it?"

"I don't know", she replied, "but I'll try." At that moment there was a huge noise off in the mist, as if a mountain had broken off and fallen into the sea. Everybody heard it, and to say they were not frightened would put the Redwood Forest on Pinocchio's nose.

"There is do, and do not. There is no try", said the Pope, as the wave of mist and spray from whatever had collapsed passed over the shrinking island.

BlitzGirl took the Arrow, and in her halting version of whatever it is that she thought they were speaking, tried to explain. She gestured towards whence they came, saying "Smopu Glie, kavinchi... uh... manhieb? manhiobu?...", and she raised her hands up. Then she held the Arrow, pointed to her head, and then to theirs, and looked intently at the Arrow. "Ambenni... bu", she said, and held the Arrow tightly and closed her eyes. "Smopu abmenni... uh... ambenni! Kiepu glie."

They weren't getting it.

She gestured to the whole clerecy and said to the couple, "Smopu manhiobu... kai kiepu manhi. Manhiu?... manahi?..." Suddenly the woman's eyes grew wide with what BlitzGirl hoped was understanding, but in any case she took the Arrow and held it tightly, saying "Ini kai manho ka vi miuto!" and the man put his hands around the Arrow. Both bowed their heads intensely.

They kept holding the Arrow, and did not move, even as the waters reached them. BlitzGirl wanted to hurry them up, but she knew better. She'd have to wait for it. While this was happening, the First Cleric strode up to the Pope. "Don't you think you ought to consult the Book of Armaments?"

The Pope responded, "I know the Book of Armaments inside and out. I could recite it to you if there were time, but there isn't."

"We have been carrying the Book of Armaments on this entire quest, you have only one Holy Arrow of Armageddon, don't screw it up.", said the First Cleric. He had a point. If only there were time. "The foreigners have our Sacred Artifact, what else are you going to do?", he asked.

The Pope realized that the best thing to do was to appease the First Cleric. "Would you like to make the call?", he asked. The First Cleric replied with a big smile.

"Bring out the Book of Armaments!", he shouted, but nobody heard him. However, celestial music started playing from somewhere, and it sounded Glorious.

Further down the line, the fifth cleric heard it. "Isn't that the music for the Book of Armaments?", he asked a nearby herald. If anybody were to know which tune goes with which Holy Action, it would be the herald.

"Yes, by Randall, it is!" There is a commotion, as others take note of the music, and the sixth scribe, who was carrying this particular book, came forward, asking if the Pope had called for the Book. Indeed, he had. He gestured to the First Cleric, who opened the Book and began to read. "First gather ye all the clerecy, the timewaiters, the scribes, the heralds, the clerics, yea even the Pope shall ye gather together. All must say the Prayer of Armageddon upon the Arrow, and it goes thus: 'Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish upon it your most fervent desires, and imbue it with all your faith and all your strength. We must do this, each and every one in the clerecy, ere we loose this power against fill in whatever threatens you, that it not destroy us, but instead nourish us in Glory.'"

Mouthing the words as the First Cleric is reading them, the Pope grew impatient. "Yes, we have done all this", he said. "Skip on a bit."

The foreign couple finished whatever it was they were doing with the Holy Arrow of Armageddon and returned it to BlitzGirl, who brought it back to the Pope. It had gained much in power; the Pope could feel it. This would be enough.

The First Cleric continued reading, as the Glorious Celestial Music continued. "Draw tight your bow, and loose the Holy Arrow of Armageddon upon the very root of thy Great Calamity, and if I feel like doing so, I will snuff it."

"Bow.... bow... did anybody think to bring a bow?", asked the Pope. Nobody answered directly, but the commotion and consternation gave credence to the idea that there was, in fact, no bow to be had. "Molpy Chirping Mustard on a Kaiser Roll!", exclaimed the Pope. The noise from the rapids and the waterfall ensured that nobody heard him, but it was clear that an alternate plan would be a good idea to consider. Unfortunately, there were no alternate plans.

"How about a boa?", asked BlitzGirl, as she removed the pink boa that had been her trademark from the halcyon days of the Buffydashery. The ends of her boa were quickly fastened to the ends of the pole that held the banner she carried with her when she led the caravan, and with the rushing water already almost up to their knees, four of the clerecy struggled for footing as they held the pole horizontally. The Pope himself fastened the tail of the arrow to the boa, and rested the shaft on the pole, pointing directly towards the waterfall. He bowed his head and pulled back with all his might, saying, "In nomine unium verium auctor, et per auctorii heretecii, in observatium uniae veriae comiciae, in servitum unium verium needlepullythingium, et sub occulae unium verium congretatii, nus oreamus que des flechia cumo raptorum volati, et des perilae nus salvadorae."

As the celestial music reached its climax, and with all the clerecy and the foreign couple watching intently, the Pope loosed the Holy Arrow of Armageddon at the very heart of the raging cascade of water they had come to face.

Legend has it that all the sounds around them stopped as the Holy Artifact became airborne, and the mist parted to let it through in a graceful arc that carried it up, and up, and nearly out of sight save for the pink boa trailing from the tail. It seems that it had preferred the company of the Holy Arrow of Armageddon itself to the makeshift bow that launched it. The Arrow continued up as if propelled by a Holy Force, but after a while slowed its ascent, reaching its peak when it was barely visible, and then the Arrow, trailing BlitzGirl's boa, began to gently curve back down to earth. With no sound, not even the sound of breathing, the clerecy watched, and watched, until the arrow was too far away and had faded from view. Their eyes followed where the Arrow would be if they could see it falling towards its target, even though they could not in fact see anything as small as an arrow that far away. They had to take it on faith. Lower and lower in their field of view they followed the phantom Arrow in their minds eyes.

It wouldn't take much longer for it to reach its mark, but still, they would have to wait for it.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1366) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Great work! I can't wait for the next installment! (also, more cliffhangers?)

Neil_Boekend wrote:Image
Spoiler:
duty_calls redundant.jpg

This made me burst out laughing. It's hard finding something that isn't redundant on the Internet!

Eternal Density wrote:I'm here! I'm just busy making a:

Seaish OTTification:
Spoiler:
The full translation of Rosetta's name from Beanish has been withheld for your protection.

Sources:
Redundant:
Spoiler:
improvised.png
freudian-lick.jpg

ETA the next click of the random button gave me http://xkcd.com/1120/. It knows things!

This made me laugh too! It's weird thinking of Cuegan as actors though.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Firstly: I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST WOOHOO! Driving is this thing outsiders do where they get in a metal box and make it go places, because for some reason outsiders feel the need to go to other places rather than just stay around in the OTT like decent normal people. Anyway, such a relief to have passed. I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. I started learning at 18 and I'm now 21, that's three years of being a student driver. It's a huge relief to finally take those L plates off after all that time. LIFTS FOR EVERYONE!

Congratulations! I started learning at 17, passed at 17, and haven't driven since. Cars (read: insurance) are expensive :(

They sure are. When I did mine away I saved about E400 a month. Do you have any idea how much cake you can buy from E400 a month? And how much cake you can eat without getting all planet shaped when you bike a couple of hundred km a week?
Sadly I can't eat cake due to a lactose allergy. But I can buy a lot of lego from it

I've been using an electric bike lately; I figure I'd be paying around $40 a year for electricity if I were paying the bill for charging it, vs around $1000 per year for gas for a car. Only downside is that it isn't practical in the rain.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Latent22

Re: Ah!

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HES wrote:GRAPEVINE! GRAPEVINE!

I was gonna say that I called it but then I realised that the grapevine was actually already visible when I said that, which is actually a reverse call and thus a seaish failure on my part.

mscha wrote:Mustard Update:
As I was making the animations, the current (43rd) frame was updated. Looks like a piece of grapevine was added... (Not included in the animations, but you can see it on the viewer.)

Ahem. Was it visible or was I just playing a joke on you?

HES

Re: Ah!

Postby HES » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Ahem. Was it visible or was I just playing a joke on you?

You? Playing a joke? Never! :P
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

*sigh*

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Did I just retroactively fall for a prank?

ETA
Also do people prefer a separate link to the original othercomic, or for the image to be the link? I've seen and done both but maybe we should standardi- ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball
Spoiler:
Haha, I didn't warn you!
going_west.png

HES

Personally the latter

Postby HES » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Steakish OTThercomic!
Eternal Density wrote:Also do people prefer a separate link to the original othercomic, or for the image to be the link?

Yes.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Re: Personally the latter

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:22 am UTC

HES wrote:Steakish OTThercomic!
Eternal Density wrote:Also do people prefer a separate link to the original othercomic, or for the image to be the link?

Yes.
Okay, I'll do that in the future.
Oh and I'm finally working on another sONG. One that I just thought of minutes ago :P
ETA required reading

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:27 am UTC

Okay okay. So I was tired last night, and in a rush. So I made a serious mustard. Yeah.

A spelling mustard.

Spoiler:
"Tommorow".

I know, I know. That is bad. Really bad.

The point is. How come it was me that noticed a day later!!! Come on! Surely someone else out there saw it. Maybe you were too polite to say anything, but I beg you, next time, please please PLEASE tell me. I will feel embarrassed, yes. But the sooner I know, the fewer other people will see it.

Thank you. That is all. Carry on.

Keep up the good OTTifications... I'm loving all of them :-)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Weeks back I started thinking about a poem based on the Epilogue 1 rhyme scheme. I like to break the pattern starting from midnight RDT rather than from the very first repetition, so I used CBAE CDAED CBAED CCDC BABA ED. (Hmm. The spell checker took all of that without blinking except for BABA.)

But as so often happens I lost control of the length, so 24 lines are now (I hope) 72, and the last third is still mostly unwritten. So I'm posting in sections. Here's Part I of "Journey", titled "Ask".
Spoiler:
Journey I: Ask

And so we built our castle by the sea.
But soon the waters from their ancient bed
Rose salty 'til our pleasant day turned sad,
And so we left our beach.

With bags and bottles, curious and free,
We left behind our land so bright and dry
In search of rain or river. What could add
To our sea's placid reach,
Our dying castle nigh?

Past bird and vine and bee, o'er stream and scree,
For days we journeyed, by our questions led
To unimagined vistas, hearts made glad
By all our world could teach,
By all our eyes could spy.

Though trash we found, no people did we see.
By day small creatures scurried through the lea.
By night the stars o'erspanned the crystal sky
Or fell in streaks above our shelt'ring tree.

Men's sign grew stronger ─ vines, a fence, a shed ─
But still no men. A black beast, hunger-mad,
Attacked us, to be driven off unfed,
A flag our bandage, folded to a pad.

A distant tower gave us hope we'd reach
Someone to help ─ Look! ─ Do they hear our cry?
Key words: Add Bed Sea Dry Each
────────────────
As usual, I've forgotten nearly everyone I wanted to thank or congratulate or praise from my reading today, but @taixzo, I really loved your sand castle photos.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:52 am UTC

Ok, I passed (and read and thoroughly enjoyed) many posts in the last many pages but since it was in previous sessions (I often read incognito) I don't remember what I was going to respond with. Alas, that ship has sailed. But I do want to shout out to Vytron for his treeish Heretical Comics! As much fun as legos! And also to taixzo for the sandcastle experiment - for Science!

taixzo wrote:
cellocgw wrote:The moral is: always chip your dog^H^H^H wolpy. Every vet has a reader, as does every reputable shelter.
...why did I read that as "always ch*rp your dog"? :shock:
I not only read it as "ch*rp your dog", I never read it as anything else. I was somewhat puzzled, and decided maybe I didn't want to know.

Now it makes sense to me!

cellocgw wrote:(I don't seem to have much luck matching the forum's background color)
Partly because there are two (at least in the standard format).

Somebody said something about the Department of redundancy department being redundant. It is not. It is the legitimate, non-redundant department where you can get departments of redundancy. Like I said, it is the legitimate, non-redundant department where you can get departments of redundancy.

taixzo wrote:I've been using an electric bike lately; I figure I'd be paying around $40 a year for electricity if I were paying the bill for charging it, vs around $1000 per year for gas for a car. Only downside is that it isn't practical in the rain.
Yes, that's the downside of most alternative transportation.

Glad you liked the latest AotC! (and also to the others who have posted responses to my installments: :D )

Eternal Density wrote:Also do people prefer a separate link to the original othercomic, or for the image to be the link? I've seen and done both but maybe we should standardi- ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball
I prefer a separate link. While less tricksish, at least I know what to expect.

Unrelated: Pressing [esc] on my browser stops animation. I leave animation on for this thread since so much of it is treeish, but usually I either disable it or press [esc] so it doesn't distract me. I did this on a page that had your avatar, and it froze it in one of those transition frames, where it added a skeleton to a fading and distorted River Tam photo. Quite epsilon.

Kieryn wrote:So I made a serious mustard. Yeah.

A spelling mustard.
This is the internet. It is directly linked to the orthography neuron inhibition region of the brain, which prevents bad spelling from being detected, both in the oncoming and the outgoing direction. There is only one known antidote: the print button. Simply pressing the print button, when it is actually connected to a printer (the best results are obtained with inkjet printers, as the cost of ink is a powerful stimulant), causes spelling errors to instantly become visible, even before the page appears in the out-tray (but not before printing has begun and the software makes it impossible to save the ink).

Very nice poem: "Ask", jjjdavidson! I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:02 am UTC

JGeezer wrote:
waveney wrote:142,000 results - that is more than posts here!
Spoiler:

[spoiler]
molpy.png

I love this awesomeful search result!

http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Molpy

So "Molpy" means "Siren" (as in the singing sea-ladies kind, not the police car and ambulance kind). Not sure what to make of that.

BlitzGirl wrote:Ice cream! Thanks, Soup! Image

You know what goes with ice cream?

The celebratory cake for taixzo's 600th postiversary! Congrats!
Spoiler:

Hooray! Cake! Thank you!

yappobiscuits wrote:This has been a long time coming... but I guess we're all used to
Spoiler:
tarrying for the expected happenings

by now!

[center]OTTer Smileys, Round 2

Image Hooray! I have a smiley!! Image Image

And now I've finished today's hundred-page blitz and am back in the Present! Hello everyone!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Yay, welcome back taixzo! Glad you liked the smiley!
jjjdavidson wrote:Here's Part I of "Journey", titled "Ask".
Spoiler:
Journey I: Ask

And so we built our castle by the sea.
But soon the waters from their ancient bed
Rose salty 'til our pleasant day turned sad,
And so we left our beach.

With bags and bottles, curious and free,
We left behind our land so bright and dry
In search of rain or river. What could add
To our sea's placid reach,
Our dying castle nigh?

Past bird and vine and bee, o'er stream and scree,
For days we journeyed, by our questions led
To unimagined vistas, hearts made glad
By all our world could teach,
By all our eyes could spy.

Though trash we found, no people did we see.
By day small creatures scurried through the lea.
By night the stars o'erspanned the crystal sky
Or fell in streaks above our shelt'ring tree.

Men's sign grew stronger ─ vines, a fence, a shed ─
But still no men. A black beast, hunger-mad,
Attacked us, to be driven off unfed,
A flag our bandage, folded to a pad.

A distant tower gave us hope we'd reach
Someone to help ─ Look! ─ Do they hear our cry?

Image Wow, that was fantastic!

Eternal Density

Ugh!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:16 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Here's Part I of "Journey", titled "Ask".
Steakish!
ucim wrote:Somebody said something about the Department of redundancy department being redundant. It is not. It is the legitimate, non-redundant department where you can get departments of redundancy. Like I said, it is the legitimate, non-redundant department where you can get departments of redundancy.
Eternal Density wrote:Also do people prefer a separate link to the original othercomic, or for the image to be the link? I've seen and done both but maybe we should standardi- ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball
I prefer a separate link. While less tricksish, at least I know what to expect.

Unrelated: Pressing [esc] on my browser stops animation. I leave animation on for this thread since so much of it is treeish, but usually I either disable it or press [esc] so it doesn't distract me. I did this on a page that had your avatar, and it froze it in one of those transition frames, where it added a skeleton to a fading and distorted River Tam photo. Quite epsilon.

1: Well there was my redundancy graph OTThercomic. But that was about the sentence being redundant, not the department. I think.
2: True, plus it's necessary for multiple sources, and it's more obvious.
3: Epsilon indeed! Image Unfortunately my browser doesn't do that so I can't see it for myself.

On the topic of cake, I've been tasked with obtaining cake for a coworker's birthday tomorrow.

With that out of the way, here's my new sONG!
It's called: Dilgunnerang
And is based upon Banana Phone

Warning: contains puns. May have triple-entendres. Sense-free!

Code: Select all

Ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-neat!

Moo-ma-moo-ma-molp!
Moo-ma-moo-ma-molp!

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh
Dilgunnerang
Dilgunnerang
It's so fantastic, it's got elastic
to start your morning off with a bang. Bang!

Dilgunnerang
Bug bug bug bug bug bug bug
Bill bunnerang
It's made for throwing, but not for showing
It's the best! Beats the rest!
Slippery, kipper-y, auto-triple-dippery!

Dilgunnerang
(Moo-ma-moo-ma-molp!)
Pug pug pug pug pug pug pug
Pill punnerang
It's like a bottle, it's got a throttle!
Spectacular, dilgunnerang thang!

Don't need rifles, don't need darts,
to get a hole in one!
Don't need bananas or jam tarts,
to have a heap of fun!
It's for your sister. It's for your wife.
Just throw it when you get in strife!
Or play it like a violin, just pluck the strings Twang Twang! (twang-twang-wang)

(Soprano Sax Solo)
Yeah!

Play that thing!
(Piano Solo)

Wow!

Dilgunnerang
(Moo-ma-moo-ma-molp!)
Tug tug tug tug tug tug tug
Till tunnerang
It's an egg and gunpowder boom-meringue,
a signature and avatar-ar-aang,
a doom-erang, and a groom-erang too! Oh yeah!
My amateur, dilgunnerang thang!

Dilgunnerang, ugh ugh ugh!
(It's my magnum opus!)
(Now you can throw your gun and keep it too!)
(Always practice gun safety!)

Moo-ma-moo-ma-molp-molp-molp!

(Also maybe asking people's opinions about originalcomic links was a mistake, because I've now seen a few votes each way...)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Image That was... surreal :P

Eternal Density

eep!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:24 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Image That was... surreal :P

When you start with a concept like dilgunnerang there's only one direction it can go. And then it starts going the other direction by itself.

HES

Re: Ugh!

Postby HES » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:(Also maybe asking people's opinions about originalcomic links was a mistake, because I've now seen a few votes each way...)

So long as the link is there somewhere, it really doesn't matter.

Right, this time I am absolutely, genuinely, positively, truthfully, so help me Randall, Molpying down.
He/Him/His Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Image - (Thanks to the OTTer. :D)

mscha wrote:Awefulsome Field Report, azule! (And welcome back in the present.)
Thanks! And I'm glad to be back in the Present.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Re: Ugh!

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:37 am UTC

HES wrote:Right, this time I am absolutely, genuinely, positively, truthfully, so help me Randall, Molpying down.

Haha, you first said you were molpying down around midnight, and it's now half 5 in the morning... that's some procrastinatin'! :P

I know I know, I'm up at this time too, but that's normal for me :P

Eternal Density

...and all I got was...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 am UTC

Yay!

This one took a lot of thought but I think it should make sense: (loosely based upon http://xkcd.com/1177/ )
Spoiler:
double linked just to be sure :P
time_robot.png

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:51 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:This has been a long time coming... but I guess we're all used to
Spoiler:
tarrying for the expected happenings
by now!
OTTer Smileys, Round 2

Image Thank you very much for the awesomeful smiley! Image

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:Right, this time I am absolutely, genuinely, positively, truthfully, so help me Randall, Molpying down.

Haha, you first said you were molpying down around midnight, and it's now half 5 in the morning... that's some procrastinatin'! :P

I know I know, I'm up at this time too, but that's normal for me :P

I'm going to be completely chirped when school starts for me this Monday. I'm going to have to molpy up only an hour or two later than I usually molpy down.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yay!

This one took a lot of thought but I think it should make sense: (loosely based upon http://xkcd.com/1177/ )
Spoiler:
time_robot.png

I can't see a difference between it and the original?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Eternal Density

You waited for ED's new OTThercomic and all you got was...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Yay!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
time_robot.png

I can't see a difference between it and the original?
You're not looking close enough :P

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:17 am UTC

There is one darkened pixel at the top of the clock. That is the only difference

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:You're not looking close enough :P

Ok, I spent far too long looking. And then got frustrated, opened up the Gimp, and discovered...I spent an hour trying to find a single darkened pixel.

Well then.

Edit: partially ninja'd.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”