1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

So, no one noticed the JavaScript?

ETA: Ooh page popeyness... I decree predictions and OTC/OTTifications for obelisk.

ETA2: I've created a forum thread on my forum for the purpose of discussing obelisk predictions, if you'd prefer to follow it there than here... http://forum.kieryn.com/predictions/obelisk-4/
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:hmm, I guess no one saw my ottification of "Israelites" on page 1407 (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=56240#p3446251)? Pity.

Ronald

{P1410}
I did and I kept the tune in my head the whole time while reading it, so no hiccups there. Bravo.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

BeanyONG

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:So, no one noticed the JavaScript?

Wait, there's still JavaScript now that Time ***ed? ;)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Kieryn wrote:So, no one noticed the JavaScript?

Wait, there's still JavaScript now that Time ***ed? ;)

Time ***ed... and so the JavaScript just wandered off... it had to go somewhere.
Image- Kieryn

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1401}
10 pages to go. I'm in spitting distance of the present.

Yay! :D

I'm probably not making things any easier...

{P1410}
True. Tim Minchin was quite a detour.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1401}
10 pages to go. I'm in spitting distance of the present.

I was figuring out last night, based on your trajectory (using the oh so scientific and precise measurement of remembering some page numbers that I recall you posting from in the last couple of days) I predict (with the incredible accuracy that I produced in my lack-of-the-envelope calculation) that you will arrive in the present later today.

{P1411}
I was feeling better (common cold) so got out of bed and read about digital camera sensor technology instead. Can you believe it's not half, nay, one millionth as much fun as the Tread. Those mirthless bastards. If the world was run by engineers we'd all be killing ourselves (as my friend O says). He also says if the world was run by artists we'd all be killing each other. And, he adds (you can't shut him up), if the world was run by moralists we'd all starve.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1374}
I found this pub in Lancashire
Spoiler:

Ah yes, the grapevine pub!
Actually this reminds me - the weekend before last we were driving in New Paltz and we went past this place I totally wanted to stop and take my picture by the sign, but we didn't have time.

{P1411}
I hope gilded isn't like gelded. Ouch.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Actually this reminds me - the weekend before last we were driving in New Paltz and we went past this place I totally wanted to stop and take my picture by the sign, but we didn't have time.

That very place is the source of one of my family's code phrases. (That and a really odd sense of humor.) No worries, Yappo, it says gilded, not gelded.

@Exodies, not sure what you're trying to do, but I can see why you might get into trouble sometimes.

{P1411}
Well, it goes like this:
You had a self deprecating moment
More than one person posted saying "even though you haven't done X you are still a valued member of the Tread"
My idea of fun would have had more and more of these, each adding to the list of your non-performances, each being meant kindly but the whole being a total downer. But then the awkwardness of typing on the iPad made me compress it to a single posting. I like explaining jokes. It's often vital.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

waveney wrote:An OTTercomic:
Spoiler:

azule wrote:Nice try, waveney, but I didn't know OTTers liked being shocked. :?

How about this then:
I'm not sure which character is doing the screaming

Not to imply that we enjoy such pun-ishment
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I've only ever heard Brits use sh-. Every one I've encountered in my 31 years in America uses sk-. Oh look, azule said it much more simply.

{P1411}
I say some Brits use sk but I might be only hearing it from Europeans speaking English. As one said to me "zer is more people speaking English like how I do zan speaking like you".

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

Thank you BlitzGirl, ggh, yappobiscuits, taixzo, AluisioASG, ronaldkr, TheMinim, pelrigg, and any others I missed, for your comments on AotC. I'm glad you're enjoying the saga!

@AluisioASG - hang on tightly - the next one will use a heretical number!

@HES... don't worry, I will wait for it.

@ronaldkr - The foreign couple's words are mostly gibberish; there isn't enough of their dialog to make it worth developing an entire language for this. I've picked a few words to maybe have meaning (e.g. smopu - a lot; glie - water;) but left it open (glie - run; smopu - quickly). Calling out to the raft could well consist of names. If it turns out that I need to take it to the next step, what I have can be made to fit. The feel of the words is probably inspired somewhat by Serbo-Croatian (which I learned many years ago, but which has receded into the background of my mind).

And what looks like Latin is the most ancient, sacred tongue... it sounds a bit like Latin but the grammar is different, and some of the words clearly have other origins. I did it that way to give it a Pope-ish feel, and to give you something you can probably pig-latin your way through. It should be roughly decypherable. :)

ronaldkr wrote:You should get your copyright on that (no joke -- when somebody else makes a film from it that point will be self-evident, alas too late).
As with all our posts, copyright in the work exists simply by virtue of its being fixed in a tangible medium (in this case, put on the net). This should protect me against the unlikely possibility that somebody would simply publish AotC as a standalone book. Although the prose is mine, the storyline is in many ways a collaborative work driven by Randall's work in the One True Comic, and by all of us in the One True Thread. The story would hold together if it is read apart from the OTT, but a lot of the context is lost and some plot elements would become more arbitrary-seeming.

It is a fun thought though, somebody pouring a hundred million dollars into a movie version of Acts of the Clerics, and me getting ten percent of the gross. Maybe we could make a real BlitzRocket from the returns! :)

ChronosDragon wrote:But if we stack them, that means they shade each other for a significant portion of the day
Spoiler:
Uh... that's the joke. I know... they can't all be good!
TheMinim wrote:Yep, sounds like me! :D *admits to have been very excited to see myself in AotC*
You have Truly and Properly Waited for It! Did you bring Corinne with you?

ggh wrote:Blahbitty-blah o'er Bi-
cameral Mind book by
Julian Jaynes leads to
one nifty treat:

"obfuscate what does a-
mount to grandiloquent
sesquipedalian
handwaving." - Neat!

I cheated and changed "amounts" to "does amount," but I just couldn't resist. And apologies for piggybacking on your intelligent discussion with my silliness.
piggyback shmiggyback
always a pleasure when
g g h notices
what has been writ.

Bicamerality's
conventionality's
drier than most people
care to admit.

Earthling on Mars wrote:
ucim wrote:I actually went back and clicked through the lasat part of the OTC, and I am changing my mind about the end. Sudden though it was, there is indication that they went high enough, and knew it. I think they really are ok.
There... is?
Okay, sorry, but what indication is there other than the fact that they confidently stepped out onto the land?
A3075: "If the sea is here, we're already cut off. There's nowhere to run to." implies that they are pretty much out of islands, and they are aware of traps. A3084 - are those the pleadies? A3090-91 implies that the land was far off (the previous evening), they are moving at a clip (A3060: "We seem to be speeding up"; granted that was at the beginning), and ten knots for ten hours is a hundred miles. Double that for twenty knots, which is not unreasonable in a rush of water. (It could even be faster).

So, I think that wherever they landed, it is not an island trap. They have a route to higher ground, and they know to follow it.

They'll be fine.

@mrob27 - Awesome OTT/OTC linkage! Very baobabish of you! That will be a very handy (and fast!) resource! What is the "first post" supposed to mean, if not the Ong? The first after the Ong? The predicted first post based on time?

ttscp wrote:Jose (ucim), likened us to an 'artistic colony'. That doesn't mean that we are all artists, but it does mean, I think, that we are a supportive community of creative people, not unlike Left Bank Paris, or Greenwich Village New York.
Yes, that is what I meant... the "supportive" and "community" part is the essential one that describes us.

ttscp wrote:Molpy must be said five times with a straight face for this to be correct.
But.... five is right out!

HES wrote:Image
Brilliant!

Exodies wrote:You prolly know the joke about the drunk looking for his keys under the streetlight after he dropped them near his front door, because there was more light there. Jaynes may be doing this (by trying to find clues in stories) as the "biology and neurology of brains" still isn't up to the job...
Yes, but did you hear the one about the drunk looking for his keys under the streetlight... when he didn't have any keys to begin with?
Exoides wrote:...surely the response to Jaynes should be "delightful!" not "bollocks!"
I wouldn't mind it if the book were classified as fanciful fiction, but to treat it like a serious book is just... wrong.

pelrigg wrote:And it looks like ED needs a Time-Portal Generator of some sort... ucim, do you have any more arrows? All I have is this magic top hat I got from a rabbit over at Pixar (I traded him some carrots for it.)
Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of arrows. (pause) I got a slug...

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Seaish Ketchup

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

On punsaws and villainy (HES, cellocgw, SBN):
Spoiler:
HES wrote:Image

Image Awesomeful! Somehow I managed to split the Outsider half of the stick figure from the OTTer half!
(But what happens if I chainsaw the OTTer part a second Time?)

HES wrote:It's all over the walls
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm mildly surprised at how easy it is to picture OTTers as mad-scientist supervillain types.

...don't exactly know why I'm surprised, being the one figuratively mowing down people with a chainsaw...

:shock:

Figuratively?

Chirp.

I think I've been doing this wrong.

I need to go hide the bodies.

I would recommend a basement, but the OTT's is full of bye-ers at the moment. Perhaps try some Otherthread basements?

SBN wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm mildly surprised at how easy it is to picture OTTers as mad-scientist supervillain types.

...don't exactly know why I'm surprised, being the one figuratively mowing down people with a chainsaw...

Nonsense. A mad scientist would instruct his henchman to use a chainsaw to cut a cable which releases a trebuchet whose payload breaks the dam across Gibraltar, releasing water which causes a float valve to rise, triggering a switch that activates the laser attached to the head of a frikkin' shark...

You seem to have given this a lot of thought.

Yep, I really shouldn't have been surprised, now that I think about it.

ttscp wrote:About t-shirts. We were talking about t-shirts, weren't we? BlitzGirl, I think you have the copyright to two images that I want on t-shirts: the anti flame shield of the OTT and your cute lil' molpy. I realized this when I did a search for molpy on google. Your molpy was third in the images. You really ought to copyright that molpy and/or produce t-shirts before somebody steals it and it ends up on a t-shirt anyway. And while you're producing the t-shirt for that one, you can produce the t-shirt for the flame shield. I will buy both.

Thanks, ttscp! I don't know about the flame shield design, as the flame-part itself was taken from someone else's image, but the molpy at least is original artwork. So that could probably go on a shirt. I know zero about getting t-shirts printed, however.

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
{P1407}
One of the questions (not a hilit one) would not have been put in the drawing by an English, Pakistani, Indian, West Indian or Australian author (not an exhaustive list; I'm not an expert). Can you find it?

Hmm...the soccer question, maybe? I know Americans aren't the only ones to use the name "soccer."

Exodies wrote:(Funny thing, in preview, t r i c k s comes out as t r i c k s e s - a remnant of the madness?)

On any Otherthread, it would come out as trickses instead of tricks in your post. But this is the OTT, which is too mad for even the Madness. Currently we are immune from the year-round forum filters of Oh me yarm and SecondTalon and tricks, except in previews, quotes, and search results. (There are probably more filters still around; I don't remember which ones.)

AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:You would make an excellent evil haberdasher, ChronosDragon. :)

Unfortunately not going to happen. He'd need the crystal he put on my hat, whatever it is. Sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own.

Oh, the chaos emera- err. Completely harmless, ordinary bauble. No significance whatsoever. Especially given I have the other six right here...

Sure, six in the raptor kingdoms. You failed to account for the eight in the rest of the Otter Land, the five in the Outside, and the one in possession of BlitzGirl the First.

Oh, that thing pulsing with a malevolent light like the baleful eye of a radioactive raptorcat? I thought it was a bug-zapper. It does wonders for the local mosquitoes.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:[...]
mrob27 wrote:I've made my own (simpler) newpix-to-OTT index, here:
http://mrob.com/time

Neat. Did someone put this on the wiki yet?

I see it be-done added, (it's at http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Useful_External_Links#OTT_post_indices) but since it's only fair, I have added the link to Kieryn's page http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ForumNavigator which afterall is far molpier* and was the inspiration for mine (-:

Exodies wrote:(Funny thing, in preview, t r i c k s comes out as t r i c k s e s - a remnant of the madness?)

For most of us, the Madness lies just below the surface, num' sein?

* as first user of the word "molpier" I hereby decree that it means something warmer and fuzzier, and by extension, gooder, than the referent.

I think (Perl don't fail me now).
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Yep, sounds like me! :D *admits to have been very excited to see myself in AotC*
You have Truly and Properly Waited for It! Did you bring Corinne with you?

Always.

Corinne: Not always...

TheMinim: Only because you disappear a lot! It's like keeping track of an ant sometimes.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

HES wrote:

No post for np63? The Elders let us down!

Yep, it goes from secchimribeiro at 5:58 March 26th (my local outsider time) to NotThatHatGuy at 6:31. So yeah, that was the first postless newpix.

Temporal Edit
Attention All Blitzers
Be the first to experience a new Time-themed amusement park
and resort, presently under development at an undisclosed location.
Your participation will help improve the experience that
our ImaginOTTifactors are designing for this unprecedented landmark
tourist attraction. If you are interested and have a free wip
or two during the summer (Tribulation through Deliverance, 2 A.T.),
reply by PM to Mrorl or Balthacarius before Newpix 19291.
— Meditemporaneous Holdings, L.L.C., np18525
Last edited by mrob27 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

HES wrote:How about this then:
Spoiler:

Image Brilliant!
mrob27 wrote:* as first user of the word "molpier" I hereby decree that it means something warmer and fuzzier, and by extension, gooder, than the referent.

I highly approve of this word :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
mrob27 wrote:* as first user of the word "molpier" I hereby decree that it means something warmer and fuzzier, and by extension, gooder, than the referent.

I highly approve of this word :mrgreen:

Me too! :) It's the molpiest newword of the newpage!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Soup wrote:
mrob27 wrote:[...]http://mrob.com/time

Wowish site, mrob27! It'll be interesting to scroll through that and see which newpix generated the most discussion, although I'm willing to hazard an early guess :|
[...]Have this for your effort!

... a suggestion2 ... don't. I hazard your hazarded guess is hazardishly accurate. Anyways I think that analysis was already done shortly after the Unmentionable.

But hey! My first OTT yumsies! Thank you seaishly, @Soup!

As an aside, is it bad form to reply to individual posts with separate reply posts? Because I'm finding it hard to quote multiple posts in the same reply, but I'm not trying to inflate my postcount.

ETA image (in spoiler below) so I can use the image in a later post without the need for an attachment section in that post.
Edit2: Add the following tests of sizes and nested sizes, to test my Time scripts for GreaseMonkey / TamperMonkey
Edit3: Add some light-color text samples.

Spoiler:
Blitzers note: If you are using Firefox or Chrome on a desktop or notebook computer, you might wish to install GreaseMonkey or TamperMonkey and then install my No-TinyText script, which also defeats the unreadable "light-colored" text. (See example screen-shots in the other spoiler). The following is here to test those scripts or any userscripts, bookmarklets or other modifications you might be using to make reading easier:

Normal size tags:
Light text (#ECF3F7) size 5
Light text (#E1EBF2) size 10
Light text (#EBEADD) size 20
Light text (#EFEED9) size 30
Light text (#DFF) size 50
Light text (#EEF) size 70 size 75 size 80
Light text (#FDF) size 85 size 90 size 95
Light text (#FEE) size 100 size 105 size 110
Light text (#FFD) size 115 size 120 size 125
Light text (#EFE) size 150
Light text (#EEE) size 200

Supersize fonts using the trick by Vytron on NP606 :
Size 200*200   Size 200*50

Same trick, but nesting inside a "size=50" :

Size 50*200       Size 50*50

Nested multiple times (like azule, NP606) :
Size 1600

Small text within quotes:
1size-50 footnote at top level
qlev1 wrote:level-1 quote
1size-50 footnote within quote
qlev2 wrote:1size-50 footnote within quote within quote

NWTB teaser
Sample of "New Way to Blitz"
(m. Freddie Mercury and Queen; l. jjjdavidson, mrob27)

Edit4,5,6,etc: Add more attachments, for use in post at NP1623 and later
Edit 20140323: Add more size samples

Spoiler:
SB-Boost-KittiesGalore.png
Sandcastle "Kitties Galore" Boost image by Eternal Density
SB-Boost-KittiesGalore.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 20201 times

server-0170.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 170
server-0170.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 20009 times

server-0175.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 175

server-0213.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 213
server-0213.png (7.39 KiB) Viewed 20009 times

server-0214.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 214
server-0214.png (8.08 KiB) Viewed 20009 times

server-0320.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 320

server-0403.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 403
server-0403.png (10.67 KiB) Viewed 20009 times

server-0408.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 408

server-0531.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 531

server-0537.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 537

server-0562.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 562

server-0563.png
O̶T̶T̶503ification of frame 563

mustard.gif
m*stard ! ch*rp!!!
mustard.gif (1.68 KiB) Viewed 20003 times

no-tinytext-comparison.png
effects of No-Tinytext script for *Monkey

azule-tinytext-hilit.png
azule's tinytext highlighting
azule-tinytext-hilit.png (23.39 KiB) Viewed 19978 times

Blitzenhelfern-options.png
options area with mrob27's tinytext script

20131118-EM-sig1.png
Earthling on Marg sig image
20131118-EM-sig1.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 19978 times

20130916-EM-sig2.png
2nd Earthling on Marg sig image
20130916-EM-sig2.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 19978 times

New-Way-To-Blitz-teaser.mp3
sample of "New Way to Blitz" (m: Freddie Mercury and Queen; l: jjjdavidson, mrob27)
(142.89 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

20131130-nopixbot.png
stats generated by my #imagebot# and #nopixbot# scripts

xefer-Ketchup-Time.png
903-alt-text game from Ketchup and Time, using website xefer.com/wikipedia

wait (looping).gif
"waiting" smiley, looping
wait (looping).gif (11.49 KiB) Viewed 19504 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri May 23, 2014 10:06 am UTC, edited 12 times in total.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@mrob27 - Awesome OTT/OTC linkage! Very baobabish of you! That will be a very handy (and fast!) resource! What is the "first post" supposed to mean, if not the Ong? The first after the Ong? The predicted first post based on time?

The latter. I simply wrote a Perl script that arbitrarily tags the first post with the given timestamp. Thus, most of the links link to the ONG for the newpix in question, though there are exceptions: my link for newpix 1641 links to charlie_grumbles who tellingly wrote, "Newpix seem a bit late. Rip in the fabric of Time?" followed by a "late-ONG".

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
azule wrote:[...]

Neat. Did someone put this on the wiki yet?

I see it be-done added, (it's at http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Useful_External_Links#OTT_post_indices) but since it's only fair, I have added the link to Kieryn's page http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ForumNavigator which afterall is far molpier* and was the inspiration for mine (-:

For most of us, the Madness lies just below the surface, num' sein?

* as first user of the word "molpier" I hereby decree that it means something warmer and fuzzier, and by extension, gooder, than the referent.

I think (Perl don't fail me now).

Thanks! this is cool - yours is definitely speedier on account of it not loading the entire dataset into memory from a single text file to do a query to generate the view. Man, I did some lazy coding for this. Anyway, now my Time dedication site is more in kind of 'archive' mode, I've added 30-day server-side caches on most of the pages including this one, so for the most part it should now load much speeder.

ETA: Can anyone figure out the exact date from the stars in my current newslide?
Hint: you might want to use Stellarium... ;)
Image- Kieryn

jovialbard

Re: Seaish Ketchup

Postby jovialbard » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:
Spoiler:

Image Awesomeful! Somehow I managed to split the Outsider half of the stick figure from the OTTer half!
(But what happens if I chainsaw the OTTer part a second Time?)

HES wrote:It's all over the walls

:shock:

Figuratively?

Chirp.

I think I've been doing this wrong.

I need to go hide the bodies.

I would recommend a basement, but the OTT's is full of bye-ers at the moment. Perhaps try some Otherthread basements?

Hmmm, didn't Minim find a basement full of bodies a while ago? Did HES hide the bodies in the basement in the past!
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:As an aside, is it bad form to reply to individual posts with separate reply posts? Because I'm finding it hard to quote multiple posts in the same reply, but I'm not trying to inflate my postcount.

There's a script for that here: https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts. I just use control-quote which opens a new tab for the reply, then continue reading and open more new tabs for each reply, and at the end copy and paste everything into one, and submit. Admittedly, separate replies are easier to reply to in turn, but the forum rules say not to double post.

And here jovialbard and I demonstrate the rare double edit ninja.
Last edited by SBN on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:As an aside, is it bad form to reply to individual posts with separate reply posts? Because I'm finding it hard to quote multiple posts in the same reply, but I'm not trying to inflate my postcount.

Pikrass made a multi-quote script, which you can install for Chrome and Firefox from https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
HES wrote:No post for np63? The Elders let us down!

Yep, it goes from secchimribeiro at 5:58 March 26th (my local outsider time) to NotThatHatGuy at 6:31. So yeah, that was the first postless newpix.

Oh, I remember that day.

ucim wrote:@AluisioASG - hang on tightly - the next one will use a heretical number!

Hmm... I have no idea what you're talking about.

On another note, I'll be shutting down Timeventure later tonight. I don't want to waste your time with a project that isn't going anywhere.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Re: Seaish Phallus

Postby HES » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Hmmm, didn't Minim find a basement full of bodies a while ago? Did HES hide the bodies in the basement in the past!

With all the time vortexes being opened by blitzers something like this was bound to happen eventually. It was as inevitable as 3D printers leading to spam containing actual enlarged penises...
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Happy 800 HES! (Posts, not bodies in the basement... I hope)
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Happy 2552 posts, HES!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Happy 800 HES! (Posts, not bodies in the basement... I hope)
Spoiler:

Hmm, that cupcake appears to be intact... then what is the hamster eati... OMR YOU MONSTER!

eta: bodies, he's eating the bodies
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Happy 800, HES! It looks like you already have a cupcake - how about a disturbing tattoo?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
1090 OTTified.png

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Treeish, Whizbang! :D

I noticed your avatar isn't hatted. Since the hat in your OTTercomic is so stylish, I thought you might like that one! (It's optional, of course :wink: )

Redundant:
Spoiler:

HattedAvatarWhizbang.png
HattedAvatarWhizbang.png (26.39 KiB) Viewed 20764 times

Keywords: BGUM hat hatted avatar hatting
redundant147.png
redundant147.png (140.07 KiB) Viewed 20764 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

DUMPLONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

simlei

Postby simlei » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

I don't know why, but after reading in the wiki about ketchuping and blitzing (btw: tip of my hat for those who read it all) I strangely want to do that, too o_O

Just wanted to say:
That was some great fun I had when reading about religions, reading some of the poems, the madness, and so on =) Thank you. Carry on the good work.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Jose: you know what I'm going to say.

Do we know what our current cultural status/age/era is?

Shouldn't Exodies have arrived by now?

{P1412}
Yes, but in the past still. 2 pages to go currently.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:On another note, I'll be shutting down Timeventure later tonight. I don't want to waste your time with a project that isn't going anywhere.

I'm sorry Aluisio. I don't have the time to work on this, and even if I did, I don't think I have the knowledge base to get anywhere with it. Or the brainpower. I've still never figured out how to see the otter army on your map, or move my marker out of the Wairarapa, and that's not even a puzzle.

Same goes for ChronosDragon - I puzzled for longer than I'd care to admit on your riddle, but even though it may be just a red herring, the astronomy aspect looms large, and my ignorance in that field makes me think I could think for a long time and never get any closer.

ETA - for the pope: I predict raptors! Lots of them. Spooked by something. I don't want to wait 65567 seconds!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

simlei wrote:I don't know why, but after reading in the wiki about ketchuping and blitzing (btw: tip of my hat for those who read it all) I strangely want to do that, too o_O

Just wanted to say:
That was some great fun I had when reading about religions, reading some of the poems, the madness, and so on =) Thank you. Carry on the good work.
Image Welcome, simlei! (I know you posted once back in AprilH but I hadn't reached the present then.) Blitzing can be fun, if you decide to follow that path. We have several known blitzers wandering the pastposts at the moment. But hanging out in the Now can be fun, too. And you can always do both at once! There's no wrong way to observe Time, or to read the OTT. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I would recommend a basement, but the OTT's is full of bye-ers at the moment.
Are you telling me that the bye-ers are in the cellars?

Yes. In almost all cases, it is much better to reply in a single post. (Exceptions are the ONG, which no longer is, and maybe the NewONG). The main reason is that it is what our host (xkcd) wants, and we are guests in his space. I generally compose my replies in a text editor (putting in the tags by hand), but you can also right-click (select open in new tab) on the "quote" button for a particular post, set up your reply for that post, COPY it to the end of a text editor document, and then close the reply window. Repeat until done. Then select and copy your entire reply from the text editor, open a reply window that you will send, paste it in, preview, fix mustard, and post. There are scripts you can download that do all that for you if you like.

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:@AluisioASG - hang on tightly - the next one will use a heretical number!
Hmm... I have no idea what you're talking about.
It pertains to your request for consistent numbering. The next installment (which will be the 27th) will probably be Act 2, scene 9.

simlei wrote:I don't know why, but after reading in the wiki about ketchuping and blitzing (btw: tip of my hat for those who read it all) I strangely want to do that, too o_O
Another with a Great Void in his Soul, which can only be filled by drinking from the One True Thread. Randallspeed! We shall await your Glorious Return, and eagerly read whatever Gospel you choose to leave! And if you choose to not go on this Holy Quest, but instead simply abide with us in the Present, you will be welcomed still with open arms. (and a punsaw, if you are so inclined!) :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I would recommend a basement, but the OTT's is full of bye-ers at the moment.

Are you telling me that the bye-ers are in the cellars?

Aren't you some kind of pun-zombie by now, Jose? I don't know how many Times I've had to chainsaw you...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:

{P1407}
One of the questions (not a hilit one) would not have been put in the drawing by an English, Pakistani, Indian, West Indian or Australian author (not an exhaustive list; I'm not an expert). Can you find it?

Would it be, "Why aren't there E grades?"

{P1413}
Not the one I was thinking of, but you are correct it doesn't make sense. Mine is a perfectly reasonable question.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”