My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Which era was the best?

red/blue/yellow
40%
gold/silver/crystal
31%
ruby/sapphire/emerald/leafgreen/firered
10%
Diamond/pearl
7%
Otter/Duck
12%

Total votes: 373

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Ahh, here's the Pokemanz thread. No excitement over X/Y?

I'm bumping because Gamestop/EB is apparently having another series of event for B&W/B2&W2.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/30/games ... y-pokemon/

This seems like as good an excuse as any to finally unwrap my copy of White. How do these things work, exactly? Is there just a wireless hotspot running inside the store that your DS can connect to?

Correct. Might manage to access it from slightly outside the store.

Instructions: Mystery Gift -> Receive Gift -> Get Via Wireless. Free up a team slot. Speak to a delivery person at any Pokemon Center. Save. Works with Black/White and Black 2/White 2.

(Posts instructions there, also. Do not worry about memorizing this.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:24 am UTC

I don't have a 3DS. Also, the long animations and load times would make this exceedingly aggravating to play.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:21 am UTC

I can't wait for X/Y, will probably get a 3DS for that and a few other games.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:47 am UTC

Deva wrote:

I'm bumping because Gamestop/EB is apparently having another series of event for B&W/B2&W2.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/30/games ... y-pokemon/

This seems like as good an excuse as any to finally unwrap my copy of White. How do these things work, exactly? Is there just a wireless hotspot running inside the store that your DS can connect to?

Correct. Might manage to access it from slightly outside the store.

Instructions: Mystery Gift -> Receive Gift -> Get Via Wireless. Free up a team slot. Speak to a delivery person at any Pokemon Center. Save. Works with Black/White and Black 2/White 2.

(Posts instructions there, also. Do not worry about memorizing this.)
I see... And I suppose the game keeps track of gifts to keep you from visiting every different Gamestop location to get multiples?

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Yes. Limits you to one per cartridge. Might be able to sidestep it by trading, creating a new game, trading, creating a new game, and so on.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 am UTC

More than anything, I'm impressed with Nintendo making a worldwide Pokémon release a reality. Now we don't have to memorize the weird Japanese names when talking about the games immediately after launch. Though to be fair, people are still doing this to some degree since CoroCoro always seems to be leaked a few days before official info is released.

Um, what else... the term "evolution" is getting mangled even further with Mega Evolutions, which more accurately are in-battle forme changes like with Meloetta and Zen Mode Darmanitan, but requiring a specific held item. They also made the Fairy type, the first new type introduced since the days of Gold and Silver. Lots of retconning of previous Pokémon's types is confirmed as well. That'll be interesting to get used to. The supposed effects of the Pokémon Amie look pretty awful as a competitive player. The potential to increase critical hit rate and evasiveness? I would say that it's like they're doing this out of spite for the competitive scene, but they seem to be pushing competitive play more and more as of late. I sure hope these effects are in-game only and aren't taken into account for competitive matches.

But still, we're gonna get a bunch more monsters to know and love, and that is all I really need to be happy! :mrgreen:

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Fairy?
What the fuck?

Guess that means the Clefairy and Jigglypuff lines are no longer Normal?
(I really don't know much outside the first 150/1 - played Gold/Silver and HG/SS a bit; and B&W2 once)

And it's strong versus Dragon? But not Fire?

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

They must be confusing fairies with dryads or whatever. The terminology for this stuff is so mangled in pop culture at this point I don't see why to get worked up over it.
They either added fairies in because of balance reasons(lol), or because they want Evee to eventually have 25 evolutions. Looking at Bulbapedia it makes Mawile type set feel more accurate and makes Gardevoir fit the guardian angel theme they were going with it(with Wally).
Speaking from someone who stopped at emerald and loves Gardevoir over Alakazam (To hell with better base stats!).
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 am UTC

'Fairy' refers to a ridiculously large and varied set of mythological beings, there is surely a justification for any strength/weakness set out there, especially if you think about Japanese fairies.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:16 am UTC

I actually like creepy and mysterious fairies, such as in the SMT franchise or in dota2.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:00 am UTC

I can't join in with all the X&Y hype because I haven't got a 3DS, but I'm still feeling compelled to play through a pokemon game.
Trouble is, whenever I play one, I typically run with very much the same team (it's certainly not a perfect team, but Scizor/Scyther, Gengar and Jolteon are among my favourite pokemon).

So I need some restrictions, and for that I need help.
I'm thinking of running mono-type (pick any type; all of my pokemon must have that type) - that should certainly force me to do things differently. I don't really know what a good type for that would be; Poison comes to mind, it's got just enough variety to be interesting I think. Water is too common, Ghost and Dragon are very restrictive (despite being cool). Obviously if the type isn't starter compatible, I'll need to hack a starter in.
No legendaries; I almost never use them anyway (even when the game keeps shoving them in your face).
I can't think of any reasonable item rules; "no buying items" feels a little sadistic.

I also don't know which game to play. I have Black 2, Heart Gold, Fire Red and plain old Blue/Red. I also have a couple of hacks (for FR and HG) that increase pokemon variety (wild and trainer).

Any suggestions?
I'm not going to do a nuzlocke. Just no.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Could choose Normal type. Contains relatively few powerhouse Pokemon. Ignores most Normal typed Pokemon. Reduces gym battle frustration (somewhat). Votes for Castform as the starter.

Alternate1: No evolutions.

Alternate2: A base stats cap. Limit it to around four hundred. Excludes some evolutions (Ivysaur, Charmeleon, and Wartortle). Allows others (Kadabra, Gloom, and Roselia). Increase or decrease the cap as desired.

Alternate3: Capture the first ten unique Pokémon you encounter. Use only them. (Add others for necessary Hidden Machines, of course.)

Game: Recommends picking interesting Pokemon beforehand (with restrictions). Choose the game featuring the most.

Item Rules: No Technical Machines (besides Flash/Rock Smash), perhaps?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 am UTC

Whats the issue with Nuzlocke?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 am UTC

I don't need the constant feeling of dread, just something different to normal.

Normal could work; the only weakness is Fighting and is covered by the common Normal/Flying combo.
No TMs is interesting too. That limits staple skills like Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, but outright excludes pokemon like Nidoking. Could pose coverage issues if monotyping.

And I'll try to play with battle style Set, rather than Shift.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:24 am UTC

If you want a challenge, I would suggest doing mono-Rock just because it is such a lopsided type. I'm actually playing through Soul Silver right now with mono Rock, and those water routes start to feel like Russian roulette after a while. (btw I almost forgot how much it sucks using a Shuckle in-game). Poison is indeed fun to use if you want some variety, and is full of surprisingly decent Pokémon that you might otherwise miss out on. Same thing goes with Normal. I've done mono Ground in Yellow version, and learned just how much Sandslash and the Nidos rule in that generation. Mono Bug is interesting because they tend to have low stat totals, and Bug-types appear really early on. On the other hand, Ghost, Dark, Steel, Dragon, and Ice don't have much in the way of variety in the early game, so beware.

Depending on how hardcore you want to get, you might want to see how far you can go without using a Pokémon Center. A lot of little speedrunning tactics come into play if you want to give that a go, and managing money and PP makes things really interesting. (Warning: TMs don't give you any extra PP in generation 5.)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 am UTC

I donno that there is that much dread in Nuzlocke as long as you grind a bit, it's kinda the same as other restrictions except maybe you have to grind slightly more to end up winning.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 am UTC

I'm doing a mono-grass run of Emerald right now, it's been pretty enjoyable. Right now I've got sceptile, gloom, ludicolo, cacturne, tropius, and breloom.

A simpler and less restrictive option is just to not use any pokemon you've ever used before. My rules for a typical pokemon play through is no pokemon I've ever used before, no legendaries, and no pseudo-legendaries. If you've got enough self control to do a monotype run, you should be able to follow these simple rules.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Fairy?
What the fuck?

I see "Fairies" as a reference to "The Fae" or "The Fay" of old English legends. Fairies of legend span from the great Morgan Le Fay (Authorian evil spellcaster who was one of the chief villians of the legend), or Maleficent (antagonist of Sleeping Beauty. In the original tale, she was a Wicked Fairy who placed the curse). Don't mess with Faries. The original legends were that they kidnapped you as a baby, trapped you in the realm of the Fae, and either ate you up, or transformed you into a Changling due to their wicked experiments. Parents of the child would never notice that their baby was missing, because the true original Fae would cast illusion magic on the Changling left behind to look like the baby they stole.

Disney transformed the original Fairy tales into kid-friendly happy people. But the original "True Fairy Tales" are designed to frighten and scare you.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Yeah, I got that.
Thing is, the Fairy pokemon (and their moveset) seem to channel Disney more than English folklore.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:They either added fairies in because of balance reasons(lol)

Maybe not why they added it, but that's probably why it's strong against Dragon.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
Yoshisummons wrote:They either added fairies in because of balance reasons(lol)

Maybe not why they added it, but that's probably why it's strong against Dragon.

That's definitely why the added the Fairy type. Everything about Fairy looks like it was made with balancing the type system in mind.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

cyanyoshi wrote:If you want a challenge, I would suggest doing mono-Rock just because it is such a lopsided type. I'm actually playing through Soul Silver right now with mono Rock, and those water routes start to feel like Russian roulette after a while. (btw I almost forgot how much it sucks using a Shuckle in-game). Poison is indeed fun to use if you want some variety, and is full of surprisingly decent Pokémon that you might otherwise miss out on. Same thing goes with Normal. I've done mono Ground in Yellow version, and learned just how much Sandslash and the Nidos rule in that generation. Mono Bug is interesting because they tend to have low stat totals, and Bug-types appear really early on. On the other hand, Ghost, Dark, Steel, Dragon, and Ice don't have much in the way of variety in the early game, so beware.

I went with Poison in the end, playing Sacred Gold (modified Heart Gold) with Nidoran(M) as a starter, but both Rock and Bug tempted me.
I was going to try to run without using items mid-battle, but Falkner didn't mess around; all gym leaders have full teams of six in this mod. Gastly couldn't use anything other than Curse, there's a STAB Uproar to deal with (with Gen Vs power boost to 90) and just about every pokemon outsped me with Aerial Ace.
I was three hours in before I beat him, and I don't think I've caught and added pokemon to my team solely to use as death fodder before.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I went with Poison in the end, playing Sacred Gold (modified Heart Gold) with Nidoran(M) as a starter, but both Rock and Bug tempted me.
I was going to try to run without using items mid-battle, but Falkner didn't mess around; all gym leaders have full teams of six in this mod. Gastly couldn't use anything other than Curse, there's a STAB Uproar to deal with (with Gen Vs power boost to 90) and just about every pokemon outsped me with Aerial Ace.
I was three hours in before I beat him, and I don't think I've caught and added pokemon to my team solely to use as death fodder before.

Why not send in the Ghastly to wall the uproar, and use curse during that time? During uproar the user can't change moves or switch out (I'm pretty sure), so it's a perfect wall, and curse will deal significant damage until he switches out or dies, and the AI almost never switches out (unless the mod makes the AI smarter).

But yeah, certain gyms can be really hard with monotype. It took a lot of tries and luck to beat Flannery (fire) in my mono-grass game. I had a Lombre (grass/water), but you don't get Surf until after that gym, so it had no water moves. So it basically came down to a lot of luck with sleep powder.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Derek wrote:Why not send in the Ghastly to wall the uproar, and use curse during that time? During uproar the user can't change moves or switch out (I'm pretty sure), so it's a perfect wall, and curse will deal significant damage until he switches out or dies, and the AI almost never switches out (unless the mod makes the AI smarter).

But yeah, certain gyms can be really hard with monotype. It took a lot of tries and luck to beat Flannery (fire) in my mono-grass game. I had a Lombre (grass/water), but you don't get Surf until after that gym, so it had no water moves. So it basically came down to a lot of luck with sleep powder.

Uproar ends as soon it fails on a Ghost type (seriously), and I needed its Curse for the Pidgeotto (Tentacool could stall it out then, even with Roost, so long as it had also been Poisoned or Paralyzed (go Ekans!)). Gastly died to any of the opponents' Aerial Slash.

Bugsy should be straightforward. Depending on when I can evolve Nidorino and get the Earthquake TM, the other gym leaders may or may not be difficult (Steel comes to mind as a potential problem).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 am UTC

No shivering antici...pation for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire either, then? Oh well.

Having completely missed almost all of the events for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Black/White, I was hoping to stay current with X/Y – but apparently I've already been wholly oblivious to two giveaways over the past couple of weeks. Is there not some kind of service out there that keeps track of these things? It seems in most of the regular news sites, the giveaways have just gotten lost in the noise.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:13 am UTC

To stay up-to-date with events, http://serebii.net/games/currentevents.shtml is a good page to check out every now and then.

If Heartgold/SoulSilver are anything to go by, OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire will probably blow the original Ruby and Sapphire out of the water in terms of quality and content. I'll be patiently awaiting the release of the newest remakes!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:54 am UTC

Thanks. The Serebii Facebook page turns out to be pretty good. I also found the Atom feed for the history of the relevant Bulbapedia article, which sort of works. Do people not like RSS/Atom anymore?

I'm not liking these US Gamestop exclusives.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:07 am UTC

Offers Diancie from now until July 27th. Must own either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. Select Mystery Gift -> Receive Gift -> Get Via Internet. (Re-enter the Pokémon Center with Diancie for its Mega Stone.)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:26 am UTC

I was directed to this page recently.
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-omega-r ... nt_Pokemon

Seems if you sign up for Pokemon Bank before Nov 30 (a $5 fee) there are more rare Pokemon on offer.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:03 pm UTC

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon were announced, and they are set to be released Holiday 2016. Currently, they seem to be the first Gen 7 games rather than the "Pokémon Z" that many people were expecting, and it will be possible to transfer Pokémon from the Virtual Console Gen 1 games to Sun/Moon via Pokémon Bank.

Announcement Video

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu May 12, 2016 9:03 pm UTC

Released starter information and a date (November 18). Showed trainer options in the Japanese version too.

Starters
Spoiler:
Pokemon_SunMoon_Starters.jpg

Trainer Selection
Spoiler:
Sun Moon Trainers.png

Never selected the Fire starter before. Might this time. Likes the Grass starter too, though.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Fri May 13, 2016 4:37 am UTC

Deva wrote:Never selected the Fire starter before. Might this time. Likes the Grass starter too, though.

:shock: There are usually very few early-game fire-types to choose from, so choosing one as your starter should make for an interesting change of pace. The most extreme case is Diamond and Pearl, which were infamous for having only Chimchar and Ponyta until you beat the Elite Four.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 13, 2016 4:40 am UTC

I think the grass starter looks the dumbest.

And then I saw the animations, and it kinda grew on me. Its one of those things that looks good when animated, but awful when still. Fire kitty though...

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri May 13, 2016 6:11 am UTC

cyanyoshi wrote: :shock: There are usually very few early-game fire-types to choose from, so choosing one as your starter should make for an interesting change of pace. The most extreme case is Diamond and Pearl, which were infamous for having only Chimchar and Ponyta until you beat the Elite Four.

Nods. Rarely travelled with Fire types. Usually stuck by early Flying types, specifically Taillow, Starly, and Fletchling. (Ignored Pidove. Regretted nothing.) Covered the Grass weakness. Forgets whether Houndoom and Chandelure were pre- or post-Elite Four. Definitely used no others (permanently) before post-game.

Memories of previous teams:
Generation Six1: Greninja/Talonflame2/Florges/Meowstic/Aegislash/Helioisk
Generaton Five: Serperior/Gigalith/Seismitoad (shiny)/Scrafty/Beartic/Chandelure?3
Generation Four: Empoleon/Luxray/Staraptor/Roserade
Generation Three: Sceptile/Ludicolo/Swellow/Hariyama/Flygon
(Generation Two and One starters: Totodile and Squirtle.)

1Probably wanted a new Ground type. Lone option: Diggersby. No.
2Technically becomes Fire. Learned no good Fire moves in a (mostly) blind playthrough.
3Leans towards Chandelure being pre-Elite Four. Notes a glaring Grass weakness.

KnightExemplar wrote:I think the grass starter looks the dumbest.

And then I saw the animations, and it kinda grew on me. Its one of those things that looks good when animated, but awful when still. Fire kitty though...

Worries about the Fire starter’s evolutions. Remembers evolutions for previous Fire starters. Disliked everything after Typhlosion. Felt disappointed with Pyroar last generation too. Expects something nice for the Grass starter.

Thought: What will their secondary types be? Affects appearance considerably. Established one already (assuming no late swap). Could be another circle like in Generation Six (Psychic < Dark < Fighting). Perhaps Grass/Flying, Fire/Electric, and Water/Ground? Creates double-weaknesses for all three too.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 am UTC

Deva wrote:Forgets whether Houndoom and Chandelure were pre- or post-Elite Four. Definitely used no others (permanently) before post-game.

Gen V, I think Chandelure is pre - Litwick is picked up in not-pokemon-tower. It's a firestone to get a Chandelure from Lampent (although IIRC the level Litwick evolves at is stupidly high)?

Grass is a pathetic type, don't pick Grass.
I usually pick the Fire type, although half the time it fails selection and gets benched mid-game, and later generations usually offer Flamethrower as a TM somewhere, so you can still get the type coverage if you want it.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri May 13, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

Correct. Meant pre- or post-spoilers, though. Usually waits until after the Elite Four to look up information. (Exception: Evolution method.)

Level 41, then a Dusk Stone.

Hmm. Checked the Hall of Fame. Apparently used Serperior/Seismitoad/Scrafty/Beartic/Beheeyam/Reshiram. Forced/suggested Reshiram in the final fight. Displays Chandelure in the second clear. Found a Level 44 Gigalith in storage (below the ~52 party average). Presumably benched it prior to the Elite Four. (May have been Boldore then.)

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 13, 2016 4:28 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Grass is a pathetic type, don't pick Grass.
I usually pick the Fire type, although half the time it fails selection and gets benched mid-game, and later generations usually offer Flamethrower as a TM somewhere, so you can still get the type coverage if you want it.

Grass is a great physical wall type. It resists half of a lot of physical combos:

* Water / Normal (Gyarados) is excellent, only completely resisted by Ferrothorn, Empoleon, Jellicent, Trevenant, and Gourgeist. Grass in general is strong to the "Water" side, which is the stronger hit in the case of Gyarados. Being strong to the water side weakens the combo (Most bulky attackers seem to go with Water/Normal as their offensive typing. Ex: Taunt / Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Return on Gyarados)
* Earth / Rock combo (Stone Edge + Earthquake). Although we got a flying / grass here, so it isn't going to resist rock. (Chestnaught and Torterra manage to resist the entire combo!)
* Neutral to fighting, Rock, and resists Earth! Lucario Close Combat / Earthquake / Stone Edge is pretty good, and being able to take any of those hits without dying is an accomplishment.

Grass is also immune to all powder attacks now (spore!). As well as a source for sleep powder, poison powder, and similar attacks. Grass is actually great for competitive teams, if set up just right.

The real issue is that Grass / Flying is a shitty typing. (Boltbeam is still a thing, and 4x weak to Ice Beam sucks. Gains weakness to Rock. Redundant on Earthquake coverage)

-----------

It is a known fact that the a bulky Water / bulky Grass / bulky Fire core creates an excellent team on 6-man games (I'm not very familiar with the 3-mon metagame). Rotom-Fire / Gyarados / Ferrothorn is an example of such a team "core". You probably need Togekiss to finish up defenses (not much special defense, missing a Roost or Recovery move), a 110+ Speed Sweeper for an offensive threat, and one more pokemon to assist the Sweeper.

But still, Rotom-Fire (Fire / Electric Levetate, high physical defenses, Will o Wisp), Gyarados (Water / Flying, Intimidate), and Ferrothorn (Grass / Steel, deals 12% damage passively to any physical attacker. Spikes and Stealth Rocks) is a damn hard core to take down. But that's basically true of any good Fire / Grass / Water core. Another? Slowbro, Heatran, Trevenant. I mean, Fire/Grass/Water core is a very bread-and-butter strategy that just works.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:

Grass is a great physical wall type. It resists half of a lot of physical combos...

I don't remember facing many D-Dance/Waterfall Gyarados' or seeing EdgeQuake in single player, where the only challenge is taking out the elite four whilst being down something like 20 levels, probably with a 5 man team because I need shit like Strength and Cut, maybe Fly. ;)
But my dislike of Grass is largely rooted in Gen 1/2 - those starters just suck, Bulbasuar's Poison typing will catch you off guard because Gen 1 Psychic is completely broken, and the first Gen 2 gym is Flying (and now Gust is actually a Flying move).

I think the last time I took a Grass type (that didn't feel terrible) in single player was a Poison mono-type run in a Heart Gold mod - the Ground resistance was a little redundant given Gengar and Crobat were already immune, but it achieved something at least (and I needed Cut :( ).
(I took Parasect in a Bug-type run - that was pretty fucking terrible).

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue May 17, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:

Grass is a great physical wall type. It resists half of a lot of physical combos...

I don't remember facing many D-Dance/Waterfall Gyarados' or seeing EdgeQuake in single player, where the only challenge is taking out the elite four whilst being down something like 20 levels, probably with a 5 man team because I need shit like Strength and Cut, maybe Fly. ;)
But my dislike of Grass is largely rooted in Gen 1/2 - those starters just suck, Bulbasuar's Poison typing will catch you off guard because Gen 1 Psychic is completely broken, and the first Gen 2 gym is Flying (and now Gust is actually a Flying move).

I think the last time I took a Grass type (that didn't feel terrible) in single player was a Poison mono-type run in a Heart Gold mod - the Ground resistance was a little redundant given Gengar and Crobat were already immune, but it achieved something at least (and I needed Cut :( ).
(I took Parasect in a Bug-type run - that was pretty fucking terrible).

But Gen1 had the Toxic / Leech Seed glitch. Gen2 Feraligator was... too good though.

And what, Venusaur needed to get to gym 5 before he actually faced an issue? By 5th Gym, you'd find a pokemon to deal with Sabrina. Otherwise, you EZ mode Brock, Misty, and Surge (Offensive advantage with vine whip on the first two, defensive advantage vs electric). Then you have a defensive win vs Erika as Grass/Poison 4x resists Grass (go to Safari Zone to grab Strength on Venusaur then wreak face vs Erika)

Sabrina is your first difficult fight, but then after that you get Koga (Poison), which Venusaur is immune to Toxic, Blane (another hard fight), then Geovani (Ground, which Venusaur's Razor Leaf owns).

EZ-mode against 6 of the 8 gym leaders is... quite good. In general, the access to Sleep Powder / Stun Spore on your starter enabled a huge amount of utility. Of the three starters, Venusaur is actually the best one to solo-play. Charmander gets wreaked by the rock-types early on AND by Misty (1st and 2nd gym) AND by "geodude" as you cross the moon cave. Squirtle gets wreaked by Surge and Erika (3rd and 4th gyms) and is mostly made redundant by easily available Magikarp / Gyarados. Having issues in 5th / 7th gym isn't really a problem because by then you can manage.

I mean, what other good grass types are there in Gen 1? Bellsprout? Gloom? Parasect? Executor is probably your next best shot... but that's rather difficult to get (Safari Zone). Venusaur is easily the best grass pokemon of Gen1 (while Moltres / Arcanine / Rapidash can manage as a decent fire type, and Gyarados manages the Water Typing)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Tue May 17, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

Sure, Venusaur is the best Grass type Gen 1, but Venusaur sucks by comparison to the other starters! Your starter is typically your powerhouse, often your highest level pokemon with generally good stats, but Venusaur's offensive options are weak, so you rely on Stun Spore for utility? I'd prefer Thunder Wave (100% acc) and accept the miss against Ground types (which pretty much get destroyed by a single Surf from a decent Water type).
Razor Leaf is its "go to" move, even late game (55 base power, 95% acc) - there's no equivalent of Flamethrower or Surf (95 base power, 100% acc) - Solar Beam is more like Fire/Hydro Blast (120 base power - 100% acc in exchange for being a two turn move though). The upside is that Rock/Ground types often stack Defense over Special, but that's not true of Water types.

I don't ever worry about gyms (outside of mods or unusual runs), and I see the pokemon is so unspectacular that I can't imagine ever wanting it. The other starters just have that extra punch in their move sets.
Charmander has a rough start, but it's not *that* bad (Geodude and Onyx resist Fire, sure, but their Specials are low so Ember will get something done, there aren't any rock moves at that stage). Misty sucks, but you can pick up a Grass type nearby (and hey, Oddish and Bellsprout both learn Cut - gonna need someone to learn that ;) ) or you can get Pikachu in the Viridian Forest (not recommended). Surge - well Diglett cave is right next door, Dig was picked up earlier, or just have a Nidoking for early game easy mode (or Kadabra).
Squirtle doesn't struggle against Erika - it can learn Ice Beam and will almost surely outspeed just about everything in that gym (and Ice Beam will utterly destroy Lance later on).

I guess my experience is that a Grass starter doesn't help me do anything I couldn't already do - the Fire and Water starters give me options. Whilst the other Grass types aren't as a good, they're available early, whereas Water types often require Fishing or Surf (both options come after Pokemon Tower) and Fire is just rare.

KnightExemplar wrote:Of the three starters, Venusaur is actually the best one to solo-play.

Perhaps, although speed run tactics used to run Blastoise (I think the current strategy is to use Nidoking).
I think I'd still take Squirtle for a *regular* single pokemon run - Dig for Surge, Ice Beam for Erika (and Lance, and Blue's Venusaur). That leaves Blue's Alakazam, but it has no type advantage. Venusaur is going to suffer against Lorelei - you have no type advantage against Jynx (and you don't learn any moves to cover Ice), and can you really one-shot that Lapras with Razor Leaf?

Return to “Gaming”