1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

It's the PUNSAW for you BlitzGirl!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:X Buff Molpies.

They've been working out. New lurking regimen. Lots of skittle-shotput exercises. They're glad you noticed. ImageImageImageImageImage

And yay! Thanks for the updates. :D

I thought of that too
Sorry the updates aren't live yet but I'd like to be sure it still runs rather than 'test it in production'

ETA (SwiftKey, stop deleting words! )
suggest appropri'te Punishment for BlitzGirl's punning ways
And if you write in poetry, this OTTer you'll amaze
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:03 am UTC

After Eternal Density has reported in his progress, I've got an update to my Database too.
  1. No, no search function yet.
  2. Entered all new ottifications up to NP1390, so only 60 NP behind. :shock: This means there are now 567 OTTifications in the Database.
  3. Added the mouse over functionality for OTTerComics exactly as it worked with OTColorizations.
  4. Scraped all NP up to and including 1446. So if you want to help with adding new OTTifications you can do so up to this NP. (Great way to spend the ninja periods productively.)
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:10 am UTC

It wasn't a pun! I swear!
It was a homonym! So there!

Awesomeful, Sciscitor, the Database is really wowterfully seaish now!
One riverish bit of mustard: the rollover on http://178.79.159.24/Time/ottification/661/ is redirecting to the wrong OtherComic for some reason. Or wait - maybe the OTTercomic is wrong?

Molpy down:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 am UTC

Philip Thomas wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I've heard that game called Telephone Pictionary, so I searched for an online version and found this one.

It is a neat game, I've seen it played before under another name. But how to play it in the thread? I guess you could use spoiler tags- hide everything under spoilers. The person doing the writing (or drawing), mustn't look at the spoilers before the drawing or description s/he is thinking about.

To keep things simple, lets only have one chain. As each user logs on, s/he adds to the chain (by posting a picture if the previous user posted a description, or vice versa) Once that user has posted s/he can look at the whole chain (the chain will be as long as the number of users). To keep things treeish, pictures must be in the style of the OTC.

It is best to start with a picture. Unfortunately my drawing skills are worse than Cueball's, so does someone else want to volunteer?

Wow, so this game is all over the interwebs! Thanks to all of you who linked to various websites playing The Game. So, I guess it can be done online! And I think it was ucim who mentioned an xkcd thread for that very game. And who did I see posting there but patzer and Vytron! They use spoilers, but it might be easy for people to see the earlier sentences while ketchupping, since we're all very well-trained to click on spoilers. :D Hmmm...

CD, I read your description of how an online version might work. So, are you thinking that different people might see and respond to the same image or sentence, resulting in different chains? Interesting.

I found a site called Drawception where you can, once you get to a certain level, create a game and invite friends. But I don't like the interface; for one thing, it really limits the amount of words you can write. And I created an account on the site Angelastic mentions, and found her there, but I'm confused. It shows that she has created two incomplete games, but when I click on her Games link, it says she isn't part of any games. And I don't know if you can have a private game.

I've always played the game starting with words--more specifically, a sentence--rather than a picture. Some of the sites do it the other way round, but they're obviously wrong. :twisted:

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 am UTC

A way to stop all of the puns,
to cut the hair and slit the tongues.

But punning is harmless as is a fly,
Although with bad puns, we just want to cry.

I did not spot a pun in the relevant post.
Let us not offend her, for she is a good host.

Our punning will end up dead anyway,
So out with the saws until a new day.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Much progress has been made, I see
By Scisitor and E. Density.
They both are doing treeish stuff
And BlitzGirl's molpies now are buff. :)

Perhaps I'll later find a way
To play the game I wish to play.
But though I'd love to stick around,
It's really time to molpy down.
Spoiler:

This spoiler says "Don't click on me!
I'm hiding some redundancy!"
Spoiler:
dix-sleep.jpg

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:47 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Radio Transcript 27

Molpy News Network
Transcript of the Live MNN Radio Broadcast
of the Consecration of the new Sacred Grounds
of the Church of the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Spoiler:
Standard MNN opening: "Ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball"
Female radio host wrote:Welcome to the Molpy News Network's exclusive coverage of the Pope's consecration of the new Sacred Grounds of the Holy Contradiction.
Male radio host wrote:Now that's a mouthful! But don't worry, we'll break it into small parts so that it's easy for our listeners to understand.
Female radio host wrote:So what is so special about this ground that they are making it Sacred Land?
Male radio host wrote:I'm glad you asked that! Remember it was only a few hours ago that the Pope discovered the reason for all the flooding that has been such a problem these last several mips, and brought about a Great Miracle that literally stemmed the tide.
Female radio host wrote:Literally? Surely you mean figuratively, don't you? That word is getting so abused it's literally being run into the ground.
Male radio host wrote:No, I literally mean literally. That was the miracle - that gigantic waterfall was flooding the all land, and now because of the Pope's heroic actions, it isn't. He made it stop. He actually stemmed the tide. Literally.
Female radio host wrote:Are you sure? It wasn't really a tide he stopped. Literally, it's not caused by the moon. In fact, even figuratively it's not caused by the moon. It's a waterfall.
Male radio host wrote:Oh, you're always so picky! This is a news station - we don't get points for accuracy.
Female radio host wrote: And don't you think you're taking the hero worship a bit too far? Even the Pope said that the miracle was not his, but from the Creator himself, and it took the entire clerecy to come to this point.
Male radio host wrote:People relate to heroes. We need heroes. One way or another, the Pope is a hero.
Female radio host wrote:That's making me hungry! Let's have a word from our sponsor.
Advertisement wrote:Did you ever long for a sandwich, but not have enough yen? Or have a yen for a sandwich that was long enough? Now you don't have to wait for it - just grab a Foot-Long MolpyTail Hero! Three great flavors:
* tail of a frog, if you're feeling under the weather,
* tail of the cock if you just want to get high,
* and tail of two cities for the really ravenous!
MolpyTail Heroes - Chock full of molpy, not a lot of bread! Doesn't cost a lot of bread either! Even if you can't be a hero, you can always eat one!
Male radio host wrote:So heretical, and so good!
Female radio host wrote:Let's go to our roving correspondent at the Sanctification. Take it!
the roving correspondent wrote:Here we are, literally at the actual sanctification itself. The Pope is dressed in long, flowing, golden robes embroidered with the symbols and icons of the Order of the Holy Contradiction. The miter he's wearing was made by BlitzGirl herself, and gives a stately and dignified finishing touch to his raiment. The First Cleric's robe is a bright yellow; it has a youthful look, matching the first cleric himself.
Female radio host wrote:What is it about these vestments that makes it youthful? Do you think the first cleric is being rebellious, like most young people today?
Male radio host wrote:I think you are being unfair to young people. Some of them are older than others.
the roving correspondent wrote:Well, mainly I think it's the lack of embroidery that distinguishes it from the Pope's vestments. It's almost like embroidery is a merit badge of sorts.
Female radio host wrote:What about the Second Scribe? Is she part of the service?
Male radio host wrote:I've heard so much about the Pope and the second scribe - rumors are rampant but so far we haven't been able to confirm anything. I'd be really surprised if she were not there.
the roving correspondent wrote:She is indeed here, wearing a brilliant red robe, with her long dark hair quite striking against it. Together, the fashion statement that the three of them make says that here, now, this moment, this place, is Sacred Beyond All Sanctity. And now, with the other six clerics in the ceremony, the Pope is taking the Holy Thailimus and sprinkling it all around. Let's listen in.
The Pope wrote:...tui sanctus nel terra et omnius, sanctus nel terra des acua sanctimus, cui terra salvadorae qui...
Male radio host wrote:That is truly an ancient language! It sounds a little like Latin, doesn't it? But it's clearly not.
Female radio host wrote:Does anybody know what it means any more? Or are these just Holy Words.
Male radio host wrote:Oh, I'm sure the Pope knows.
Female radio host wrote:What do you think he's saying?
Male radio host wrote:Well, those are the Great and Sacred Prayers of Sancification. This is a momentous occasion; those prayers have not been uttered for at least six hundred yips.
Female radio host wrote:Yet the Pope knows them by heart.
Male radio host wrote:That's one of the things it takes to be a Pope, I guess. Yanno, I've never really gotten much into that religion thing. I just don't understand why so many people follow so much mumbo jumbo. It makes no sense at... Ouch! Where did that come from? Ouch! Yahgh!
Female radio host wrote:It looks like... M&Ms, but..
Male radio host wrote:Gah! Where are they all coming from! Oof! Oy!
Female radio host wrote:Back to our roving correspondent.
The Pope wrote:... sanctii dix, sanctii dix, sanctii omnii totus verum dix. Gratias atui des omnis clerecium, per omnia gratia, nunc, et per milleniae, et in sempiternum...
the roving correspondent wrote:The Pope has just sancified this day above all days, and is now giving thanks on behalf of the entire clerecy. That seems to be a theme - the Pope never takes credit himself, but instead gives thanks for and to the entire community. He is now taking the Holy Thailimus back from the Second Scribe and placing it back in the Reticulum. Get your mind out of the gutter; it has four syllables, not two! Oh, this is unusual! He's leading BlitzGirl and another man and woman up onto the dais... and there are a couple of dozen others following - wait - those are the raft people! They are singing a hymn I have never heard before!
Female radio host wrote:Can you make out the words?
the roving correspondent wrote:No, it's in a completely different language. This is the first time anything other than the Ancient Tongue has been used in any of the Great Ceremonies of the Church. This is a truly momentous occasion!
The raft people wrote:Keipu glie hy grymth! Glie na smopu vrathki! Bradva, bradvak, bradvaii smopu hierban ta...
Male radio host wrote:We'll be back after this brief word from our sponsor.
Advertisement wrote:Short on castles? Short on sand? Clicking ONGs with a tired hand? Need a grandma? Have no fear - With us your points won't disappear! Just connect to SuperCastle and we'll run your castle-clicker on our 24 core Cray VII. Chirping mustard it's fast!
Female radio host wrote:We are back! That was an absolutely awesome hymn, and the tune is just haunting! Even though I don't know the language, I can feel in my bones what it's saying. I get chills just thinking about it!
Male radio host wrote:I think we've just witnessed a major theological event here, like the fulfillment of a prophesy nobody had foretold.
Female radio host wrote:That's an excellent way of putting it. And now it looks like they are coming to the most holy and sacred part of the ceremony. We're not going to want to miss this! Is our correspondent still there?
the roving correspondent wrote:Yes, I'm still here, and I'm trying to get closer. The other clerics have moved off to the side, leaving the Pope alone with the Kanjib. This is the moment. This is the Great Consecration - the most Holy Moment of the entire Ceremony. It will be at this point that these grounds will become Sacred Grounds.
Female radio host wrote:I wonder what the Pope is thinking at a moment like this.
the roving correspondent wrote:Well, there is one way to find out.
[noises]
the roving correspondent wrote:Excuse me, Mister Pope. I was wondering if you had any comments for our listeners as to what is happening here.
[Several seconds pass with no response.]
the First Cleric wrote:Would you like me to take care of that question, your Pontiffness?
The Pope wrote:Yes, if you would, I'd appreciate that.
[Thud. Silence.]
Male radio host wrote:Hmmm. It seems they're having some technical difficulties down there.
Female radio host wrote:Sounds more like enlightenment to me.
Male radio host wrote:Those are the risks we take to bring you the news as its happening.
Female radio host wrote:Wait... wait a minute, I think we have our roving correspondent back.
the roving correspondent wrote:Well, I'm further back than I had hoped to be, but we are coming to the close of the ceremony. The Pope has lit all the candles.
The Pope wrote:...consaecrium terram in Saecula Saeculorem; per omniam tempus, et per omniam des Tempii.
the entire congregation wrote:Amen!
Male radio host wrote:Well, there you have it.
Female radio host wrote:Indeed. "We consecrate this ground for a hundred years, and for a hundred centuries; for all time, and for all of Time."
Male radio host wrote:This is the Molpy News Network signing off at the dawn of a new age for the Church of the Holy Contradiction.
Female radio host wrote:May all your contradictions be happy ones!
Standard MNN closing: "Ni ni ni icky icky phetang phetang nee whopper"
Male radio host wrote:I thought you didn't speak the Sacred Tongue.
Female radio host wrote:Oh, I know a little more than what I let on. Let's go get
[end of recording]Jose
<-- previous (NP 1411) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

I would listen to this radio station all xip. Awefulsome baobabish, ucim!
ETA: To our English native speakers: Should that rather be an adverb, i.e. something like awefulsomly baobabish?

azule wrote:This one might require explanation:
Spoiler:
I will only say, unless asked, that the drop it like a Beanie is a reference to TimeAfterTime Beanie 70+71, where it looks like the babies are simply dropped.

When I did my ottification of OtherComic #1261, I noticed that it is quite a difficult one. I like how you reversed the order of the panels. But I think I didn't fully understand the joke here (besides the fact that Beanie babies grow ch*rpingly fast). Explanations, please!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Hot Seat (OK, I did not change anything about that name)

That should have been hOTT Seat, obviously.

Oh dear, I spent most of last night (successfully) trawling the OTT around NP1329 - NP1335 for ottifications that hadn't been added to the wiki yet, even further behind than where I should have been blitzing. Good thing I have so far at least been able to stay away from any addictive, clicking-intensive games...

And with this, I'm signing off from the OTT's present and returning to my regular blitz. See you all again sometime soon, I hope!
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Eternal Density

Click!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Lots of treeishness on this page.

BTW I just tested and uploaded version 0.72
And then realised that a mustard had turned 1700 into 17,0 so now v0.721 is up.
(that temporarily made ladders 1% of the normal price and 0%as useful )
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

CONGENERICAL...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Re: It's the PUNSAW for you BlitzGirl!

Postby cellocgw » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

No more rhyming, and I mean it!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

I will rhyme as much as I wish.
A rhyme's not as bad as a pun dish.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Hot Seat (OK, I did not change anything about that name)

That should have been hOTT Seat, obviously.

Oh dear, I spent most of last night (successfully) trawling the OTT around NP1329 - NP1335 for ottifications that hadn't been added to the wiki yet, even further behind than where I should have been blitzing. Good thing I have so far at least been able to stay away from any addictive, clicking-intensive games...

And with this, I'm signing off from the OTT's present and returning to my regular blitz. See you all again sometime soon, I hope!

Thank you for your wonderful wiki wizarding.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

This is surely referencing The Princess Bride, but I'll refrain from the expected response in sympathy with people who haven't seen it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Philip Thomas

Postby Philip Thomas » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

This is surely referencing The Princess Bride, but I'll refrain from the expected response in sympathy with people who haven't seen it.

My name is Blitzgirl. You killed my molpy! Prepare to die! *Wields punsaw*

No, I haven't seen it, I just know that line.
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

HES

Postby HES » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:In RELATED c**kie news, a ch*rpload of British biscuits have been added to the Upgrades section. British biscuits...now who does that remind me of...

I know you were referring to someone else, however:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:You're not the only one with a chainsaw you know Image

FTFY: Image

My apologies, I wasn't dressed at the time :oops:
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

Tis the war that transcendes all of Time
'twixt the wielder of pun and of rhyme.
With words, if you play
you'll be taken away
and subjected to tortures sublime.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Philip Thomas

Postby Philip Thomas » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

The thread has gone slow again. So, lets start that game of Telephone Pictionary.

Description:
Spoiler:
High up in the foliage of a Baobab, a solitary Beanie sits as the waters rise around him. What has happened to Megan and Cueball? He wonders. Have they reached safety? Did they rescue their people? And most importantly, how do I get down??
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Good... good noon, I guess.
Just woke up, and this is what I thought before comaing:
  1. To hell with HTML. I must go sharpen my nonexistent Qt skills.
  2. I should write a story scene for the new character CD is working on. The basics were already created. ZFT!

In a couple hours I should get out and find out where I'll have to present myself for military conscription, and how much time I'll take to go there.

Philip Thomas wrote:punsaw

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

BlitzGirl: the title of my next unRELATED story will include a pun. Please don't kill me.
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Anybody want a peanut?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ergman

[Pictionary game?]

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Philip Thomas wrote:The thread has gone slow again. So, lets start that game of Telephone Pictionary.

Description:
Spoiler:
High up in the foliage of a Baobab, a solitary Beanie sits as the waters rise around him. What has happened to Megan and Cueball? He wonders. Have they reached safety? Did they rescue their people? And most importantly, how do I get down??

*answered*
Spoiler:

Hi everyone! I'm back again! I tried my best to return with rhymes, as per pagepope, but I just can't do it right now. (don't pelt me!)
anyway, I gave up on ketchuping. its not as exciting without the otc, and I missed the present dearly. I haven't been current since before the long night! I needed to be back into the flow of things. Rest assured I've used the wiki to see as many of the cool new ottifications (ottifacts?) as possible, and all the OTcoloreds, and games, and all that jazz. I think forum games are all right, but we should keep it related. And how should this tephone pictionary go? should these posts be specially labeled so you know to only open the spoiler of the latest one?
anyway, the present is as wowterfull as always, and I look forward to waiting for it, instead of running after it.
Last edited by ergman on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

HEADSTRONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:HEADSTRONGLY...
Spoiler:

Uh oh.
Selecting new quote…

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

@ED For the "Stats" page: have a sand/mNP line for each type of boost. ie:
--Bucket boost sand/mNP: 0.4 {Total of Bigger buckets and Huge buckets and any new}
--Cuegan boost sand/mNP: 0.5 {Total of Helping Hands and Cooperation and any new}
--Molpy boost sand/mNP: 0.1 {Total of Molpies and any new}

Suggested names for additional molpy boosts: "Baby Bird", "Mama Bird", "Pricklymolpy", "Flying Raptormolpy", "Snake"* (these could show up whenever and could have the same '+1%' increase for several of them)
*Unless you have some diabolical plan for "Snake!"
-------------

Thanks to BlitzGirl for your yappo album cover and playlist. (Now I can be a lazy molpy and not have to search for those. Although I still want to find the couple of other {OTTher?} songs that were dropboxed and save those.)
Thanks to svenman who's doing wiki-work while blitzing. (Wiki-blitzing? Biltz-wiki-ing?)
And thanks to Sciscitor for your databasing. (I'm not sure how to wiki yet, so I'm really not sure how I'd add a couple of OTTcolors and OTTmanips I know of to your group. Mostly because of the "hover mouse to show the original" thing you have going there.)
-------------

BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever seen "No registered users" in the WHO IS ONLINE section. Of course, I was here, and logged in, so it was lying. But it made me go :shock:

And that would also mean there was no one (registered) cruising any of the Comic Threads at that moment. So it must have been a real quiet time on the entire fora.

Semi-related. Has anyone else noticed this line on the front page of the fora?
the Board Index wrote:Most users ever online was 1977 on Tue Feb 22, 1916 9:09 am UTC

{There seems to be a little bit of m*stard there. What do you think?}
-------------

Edit In:
Welcome back ergman. Wow, lost since The Long Night. I guess you can always schizo-blitz if the we get too slow.
P.S. Don't click on any links that say "cookie" in them. It's worse than a TVTrophes link. However Ed's Sandcastle Game is plenty wow-treeish.
--------------

There are places three
with words aplenty for a quote tree,
a Princess Bride (who's a dish)
keeps hearing "As you wish",
a Firefly crew made of tough,
proclaim "Still flying. That's enough."
and last a thread full of wit,
with OTTers who "Wait For It"

-----
Edit a mis-spelling (thanks SBN)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:19 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:@ED For the "Stats" page: have a sand/mNP line for each type of boost. ie:
--Bucket boost sand/mNP: 0.4 {Total of Bigger buckets and Huge buckets and any new}
--Cuegan boost sand/mNP: 0.5 {Total of Helping Hands and Cooperation and any new}

Suggested names for additional molpy boosts: "Baby Bird", "Mama Bird", "Picklymolpy", "Flying Raptormolpy", "Snake"* (these could show up whenever and could have the same '+1%' increase for several of them)

Picklymolpy? Like these?
Spoiler:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

@ED - some suggestions:
A LaPetite Boost - Some boost to Cuegans I think
A Badge for Forty Cuegans (The whole tribe)
A range of different helpful Molpies to join in (Prickly, Beesnakes, Raptors, Lucky, Rabbit, Squirpy...)
After some point bring in Beanies to help
Boosts to Cuegans - a steambottle, grapes, a thwap stick...
Panther Salve

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:And thanks to Sciscitor for your databasing. (I'm not sure how to wiki yet, so I'm really not sure how I'd add a couple of OTTcolors and OTTmanips I know of to your group. Mostly because of the "hover mouse to show the original" thing you have going there.)

Mhm... I am not sure what you mean... the formatting happens automatically, you just fill out as many fields of the form you get when clicking on "Add Ottification" in the upper right corner and then hit submit.

ETA: Compact user list now shows ottification count on hovering over the username; finally sorted out the ordering problem.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
pelrigg wrote:@ED For the "Stats" page: have a sand/mNP line for each type of boost. ie:

Suggested names for additional molpy boosts: "Baby Bird", "Mama Bird", "Picklymolpy", "Flying Raptormolpy", "Snake"* (these could show up whenever and could have the same '+1%' increase for several of them)

Picklymolpy? Like these?
Spoiler:

Wouldn't you know it! The first thing people reply to in one of my posts is about my spelling errors. ImageImage
But thanks for pointing that out. Image Image I did go back and correct it. That way I'm not so much ImageImage to the ketchupers and the blitzers.
Onward: Image
(Edit In: I do mean the first two smileys in a :lol: :lol: manner. I'm not :evil: about it.)
--------
Edit to delete double post:
Sciscitor wrote:
pelrigg wrote:And thanks to Sciscitor for your databasing. (I'm not sure how to wiki yet, so I'm really not sure how I'd add a couple of OTTcolors and OTTmanips I know of to your group. Mostly because of the "hover mouse to show the original" thing you have going there.)

Mhm... I am not sure what you mean... the formatting happens automatically, you just fill out as many fields of the form you get when clicking on "Add Ottification" in the upper right corner and then hit submit.

ETA: Compact user list now shows ottification count on hovering over the username; finally sorted out the ordering problem.

Oh, you have a Form to fill out. Wow, I guess that would make things a lot easier than the wiki. (I have looked at the basics of wiki-ing, and it doesn't look that rough. I'll have register though, since I want to add images.) But a Form. That's tree-ish. I'll have to hunt down the ones I'm thinking of and get them in. (I'm also not used to tooting my own horn and feel embarrassed adding my stuff to all the other wonders you have there. And, yes, I see I'm already included. Thanks.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

patzer

Telephone Pictionary

Postby patzer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Sentence
Picture

Sentence:
Spoiler:
The solitary Beanie sits atop a baobab tree, surrounded by the rising sea.

Next person should draw a picture.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Right, first things first - After listening to my 1000 posts song a few times I've noticed the "S"s in the vocal part are very harsh and piercing, so I've made the de-esser stronger to cut off those piercing high frequencies more. Should be more bearable now. Old link still works, get yerself the new version! Ketchup coming soon.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Hi, ergman!

For the game--if you want to play, look only at my picture and not the earlier links. Though, like an idiot I clicked on the first link without waiting to see if it had already continued. I think it worked ok, though.

patzer wrote:Sentence
Picture

Sentence:
Spoiler:
The solitary Beanie sits atop a baobab tree, surrounded by the rising sea.

Next person should draw a picture.

Picture:
Spoiler:
Redundant:
picture2.jpg

I thought it would take too long to draw something and scan it in, so I decided to use Word drawing tools. In retrospect, just drawing it would have been easier. In all honesty, though, the picture wouldn't have turned out any better. :)

mscha wrote:HEADSTRONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot

Caption: "Say, Expando, have you seen two teeny tiny little Beanies running around?"
I've got a bad feeling about this...

Edited to add img tags.

Say, whatever happened to Latent22? Did he just disappear after his Lucky story ended?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, ergman!

<snip dog>
Caption: "Say, Expando, have you seen two teeny tiny little Beanies running around?"

Hi! Expando certainly is a nefarious character. did we ever figure out why he was expanding? strange...
also, you otters might be able to help me with this. I'm having trouble googling for it. A version of python that has a white background instead of that black, dos-y one, and has those little 'file', 'edit', 'help' tabs at the top? and you run your scripts to it?
I'm just learning, and I could write them out in notepad, but this way was much friendlier.

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

ergman wrote:

<snip dog>

Hi! Expando certainly is a nefarious character. did we ever figure out why he was expanding? strange...
also, you otters might be able to help me with this. I'm having trouble googling for it. A version of python that has a white background instead of that black, dos-y one, and has those little 'file', 'edit', 'help' tabs at the top? and you run your scripts to it?
I'm just learning, and I could write them out in notepad, but this way was much friendlier.

Are you referring to IDLE? It's included with python, and ought to be an option for opening any .py file.

Alternatively, you could go for pyScripter, which is a lightweight python IDE with some nice features. Or, if you're really serious, there's a python plug-in for visual studio.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

ergman wrote:also, you otters might be able to help me with this. I'm having trouble googling for it. A version of python that has a white background instead of that black, dos-y one, and has those little 'file', 'edit', 'help' tabs at the top? and you run your scripts to it?

Erm, I think that would be IPython's QTConsole. Highly recomendable, though I personally prefer the notebook version, but that's just personal preferences. You can find both here. Ah ... and another thing: The colourscheme can be modified to whatever you like. If you are on a unix like system (linux or os x), you may be interested in the plain commandline version of IPython too, but it is less usefull with windows.

Mhm, on second thought, maybe you mean a python ide... If this is the case IDLE would be the most simple and common one I guess.

ETA: Ninja'd by CD.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Just because here's an OTTcolor for y'all (from M2298):
Image The Extra:
Spoiler:
2298-color-4.png

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Just because here's an OTTcolor for y'all (from M2298):
Image The Extra:
Spoiler:
2298-color-4.png

Treeish!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
ergman wrote:
<snip lion>
Are you referring to IDLE? It's included with python, and ought to be an option for opening any .py file.

Alternatively, you could go for pyScripter, which is a lightweight python IDE with some nice features. Or, if you're really serious, there's a python plug-in for visual studio.

Yeah, that's what it was. I just couldn't find among the mess of other scripts because I didn't know its name. Thanks! Now I'm off to learn things with it. Exciting!

and lovely OTColourization, Pelrigg :)

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

For the game--if you want to play, look only at my picture and not the earlier links. Though, like an idiot I clicked on the first link without waiting to see if it had already continued. I think it worked ok, though.

Maybe it would help to edit the posts once they've been answered. Something like "Game in progress, response below." (Not sure if any of us can resist clicking spoilers, but maybe.)

Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

@ergman: Welcome back to the present! Or, more accurately, Image
@svenman: Thanks for the wiki-work! It's treeish to see all the ottifications you rounded up. :)
@pelrigg: Wingish OTColored newpix!
@SBN: That's a good idea, particularly since I've opened all of the chirping spoilers out of habit.

ZoomanSP wrote:Awefulsome baobabish, ucim!
ETA: To our English native speakers: Should that rather be an adverb, i.e. something like awefulsomly baobabish?

Yep, I would go with the adverb, firefox* awefulsomely baobabish.

AluisioASG wrote:BlitzGirl: the title of my next unRELATED story will include a pun. Please don't kill me.

Don't worry, all punsawyering is non-lethal. And I've been on semi-hiatus ever since I punsawed myself. :wink:

pelrigg wrote:Semi-related. Has anyone else noticed this line on the front page of the fora?
the Board Index wrote:Most users ever online was 1977 on Tue Feb 22, 1916 9:09 am UTC

{There seems to be a little bit of m*stard there. What do you think?}

Yes, I've seen that before. :lol: Perhaps the forum software tried blitzing and got stuck in the past.

*i.e.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”