1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMinim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Newpix 4

Same two people settled on the beach. They've moved a bit.

Talk about this one is on Newpage 2. phlip appears to have a blank post, but when you quote it it's a long list of hashes. And nowhere near the number of hashes for the whole of Time, but does cover the first 15 dips (Outsider time: days), and some of the 16th. davidy22 reveals explainxkcd are documenting the images and are getting a little overwhelmed with visitors.

Previous Next
Last edited by TheMinim on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 am UTC

There were lots of cool posts on the last few pages. But it is very late (perhaps very early). Long day todip, long day tomorrip, long wip ahead, and I'm very, very tired. I must coma. But here are some random things I saw:

Eternal Density wrote:A pricklymolp is outside my bedroom window ETA it's under my car.

I wish I lived somewhere I could look out the window and see an echidna under my car. Or any sort of pricklymolp.

Hi, free-bee! Hi, ttscp!

Many anagrams. I have no vowels, and I have numbers. :(
Many vitsaagen, and donuts.

Queen a cappella string theory song. I'm sure there are some of you who understood it. Not me.

The Minim is posting a review of the OTC and the OTT.

I will submit something for Know Thy Otter. Just not right now, OK?
Same with the puzzles.

Leanred about Swedish folk dancing. Treeish!

Cool fractal towers and OTTercomics.

ZoomanSP's mustarded move. :(

Speaking of mustard, just realized I mustarded something that might ch*rp me up bad tomorrip. Randammit. I'll have to go in early. I really must coma now.

But I saw everything and loved it. In my pants.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Whoever is busy filling the Database with Ottifications: Thank you! :D

You really make some dents in the sparklines. ;-)
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Very riverish ketchup todip. Must be the wipend.A

ChronosDragon wrote:Say, Kieryn hasn't run his OTT-crawler in a while. Came across his last run of it while looking for things to put on KTO, did he ever say that he wasn't going to be updating it any more? It was nice...even if there's no more newpix, the data about word use and such was nice to see...

Last he said, he was working on updating the entire site:
On NP1319, Kieryn wrote:This is the last data-update I'm doing to the site in it's current incarnation. I will be reworking a version 2 of the entire site which I will publish when it's done. Might be a few weeks for that.

A Should I be bothered that those two sentences sound perfectly normal?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Whoever is busy filling the Database with Ottifications: Thank you! :D
You really make some dents in the sparklines. ;-)

That was me. I got server errors when I tried to add "Unquote" ottifications or azule's a smartr planet ottification.

Redundant
Spoiler:
13000called.png
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:There were lots of cool posts on the last few pages. But it is very late (perhaps very early). Long day todip, long day tomorrip, long wip ahead, and I'm very, very tired. I must coma. But here are some random things I saw:

Eternal Density wrote:A pricklymolp is outside my bedroom window ETA it's under my car.

I wish I lived somewhere I could look out the window and see an echidna under my car. Or any sort of pricklymolp.

<snip>

But I saw everything and loved it. In my pants.

I should coma too, as I was the official videographer for a friend's wedding yesterday and didn't get home until almost midnight Image

The pricklymolp was almost in my pants, and xe had a reasonably good sense of rhythm, so I made a quick music video:

undant: (because it wouldn't upload to Imgur)
Spoiler:
Little Prickly.jpg

ETA: (Estimated Time of Awesomeness)
YouTube wrote:Uploading your video. 1 minute remaining.
Processing your video. Your video will be live at: http://youtu.be/_H-hqhNH0GU

ETA: Done! Enjoy ImageImageImage
Last edited by StormAngel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:That was me. I got server errors when I tried to add "Unquote" ottifications or azule's a smartr planet ottification.

Thank you for your work, balthasar_s. The problem was that the Database did not have those othercomics yet. I was distracted and could not work for about a wip on the Database. It is fixed now.

In other news: Seeing that others take interest in the Database I added a new feature, which could come handy for Eternal Density: http://178.79.159.24:8080/Time/otcolorization/1/ (or any other valid framenumber) will return a png of the OTColorization of this frame if there is any. If there is none, it just sends the original png. If there are more than one, it randomizes.
I haven't yet reached the heritical chroma boost, but it may be interesting to display colorized frames at that stage... I still would need to know which numbering scheme Sandcastle Builder uses to be able to return the correct frame. If you are interested in this, ED, just drop me a line.

ETA: I would like to try one more time to commission an errormolpy or graphical mustardy error message for the 404 (or possibly other errors) of the Database.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

I went out on my bike hamster ball to explore my new neighbourhood and had a surprisingly RELATED adventure. I molpied past a "new" thing-sometimes-constructed-from-sand, along the bank of a rather large Tam, through a park with some squirpies, and to another thing-sometimes-constructed-from-sand next to the North big, does what it wants.

I would include pictures but for the lack of internet
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:The pricklymolp was almost in my pants, and xe had a reasonably good sense of rhythm, so I made a quick music video:
Spoiler:

Treeish! (Image by BlitzGirl)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

@StormAngel: Aww, it's a little prickly in your pants!
Spoiler:
Ch*rp, ninja'd on this image, but what the heck:

Good choice of music too :P
HES wrote:I went out on my bike hamster ball to explore my new neighbourhood and had a surprisingly RELATED adventure. I molpied past a "new" thing-sometimes-constructed-from-sand, along the bank of a rather large Tam, through a park with some squirpies, and to another thing-sometimes-constructed-from-sand next to the North big, does what it wants.

I would include pictures but for the lack of internet

Ahh, so you're on the other side of Oop North to me then!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:@ED: I don't seem to be able to get the wipeout badge. My waves have destroyed way more than 500 castles, but somehow the badge does not trigger.

Wipeout is almost impossible to get - @ED is hopefully fixing it. You can only get it if you don't have any rivers and are careless about not having enough castles to meet the destruction requirements, and then lose a lot of castles (more than 500). Expect changes.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

I was thinking about how strange it is that the Swedish letters ÅÄÖ are not A and O with diacritics, but separate letters with their own place in the alphabet. They just happen to look exactly like A and O with diacritics.

And then, well, this one wrote itself. (It is not about the OTC, but at least there is an OTTer in there.)

SWEDISH ALPHABET

Title text: I should have given her the link http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#Sven ... _kodtabell, but we didn't have the World Wide Web in those days. All we had was e-mail and ftp, but our hardships built character.

Original OtherComic: http://xkcd.com/1069 (Alphabet).

Note: Öh is a Swedish word that means Oh. No kidding. It is very useful in Swedish Word Feud. Well, maybe Öh sounds a bit more rural than Oh. I think a more posh lady would have said Va? (What?) or possibly Stick! (Get lost!).

Redundant:
Spoiler:
SwedishAlphabet.png
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

@ED Could we have some new serious objectives in Castle Builder - I just got "Castle Galaxy", and I "stored ALL of the sand" an hour ago... No cheating, just careful play. Ths took 303 Newpix.

Some format improvement sugestions:
1) Make the castles/sand/sandpmnpp box wider, so it does not expand to 8 lines: xxxx/castles/yyyy/sand out of/zzzz/needed/aaaa/sand mnp
2) For sand and castle tools put number owned below the name/buy/sell allowing the price to be below the icon and have full width
3) Consider shorter less wordy formats later in the game (eg drop he word castles in the price

Having got so far I don't want to molpy down - I have worked around every error I have made and mechanics changes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Quick question about Sandcastle Builder: some of the upgrades are unlocked when I purchase enough of a certain tool, yes?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:The pricklymolp was almost in my pants, and xe had a reasonably good sense of rhythm, so I made a quick music video:

Spoiler:

Did a wild pricklymolp really just walk up to you and curl up next to you? Do they do that? :shock: I officially now want an echidmolpy as well as a hedgemolpy.

It's kind of funny, I know that echidnas exist, but they're sort of one step up from unicorns, I guess because they're so weird and I've never seen a live one. For that matter, I think I've only ever seen photos. So the idea that you would have one stroll up to you, then hide under the car like my meowply does, kinda blows my mind. Next thing you'll tell me you have a platypus that digs up your garden.

In other news, I seem to have a deep and abiding need to ninja my newpixbots. I think I need to accept that I will never get Ninja Dedication, much less Madness and Omnipresence. Alas.

I think I'm not as chirped as I thought I was, even though I did mustard up. I have to head off to work and see if I'm right.

Ooh, managed to not ninja newpixbot! Stealth streak of 2. Woohoo!

ETA Mikrit, your posts always crack me up.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:ETA: I would like to try one more time to commission an errormolpy or graphical mustardy error message for the 404 (or possibly other errors) of the Database.

Well, I learned a Latin phrase from pablithemantis, in his or her one and only post in the OTT (page 511), and I found it so hilarious (not sure why), that I made this. Didn't think to post it at the time, though. All graphical elements are shamelessly stolen from the Internet, so there may be copyright issues to use it (or to post it like this...)

Oh, and thanks, Pabli. Are you still here?

Edit: Thanks to Jose, too, for the original idea.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
ErrorOccuravit.png
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:ETA: I would like to try one more time to commission an errormolpy or graphical mustardy error message for the 404 (or possibly other errors) of the Database.

Well, I learned a Latin phrase from pablithemantis, in his or her one and only post in the OTT (page 511), and I found it so hilarious (not sure why), that I made this. Didn't think to post it at the time, though. All graphical elements are shamelessly stolen from the Internet, so there may be copyright issues to use it (or to post it like this...)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
ErrorOccuravit.png

For error 404, I don't think there is much use in telling Microsoft. (Is there ever any use in telling Microsoft?) According to Google, Latin for "not found" is "non est inventus". And of course, it would be an error CDIV.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

SBN wrote:For error 404, I don't think there is much use in telling Microsoft. (Is there ever any use in telling Microsoft?) According to Google, Latin for "not found" is "non est inventus". And of course, it would be an error CDIV.

To be fair, the windows "not responding" dialogue instructs the user to send data to microsoft, when such a thing is only useful to them for exceedingly general problems - more often it's a specific problem with the application itself that should be solved by the developer, not microsoft. So while that doesn't make putting the phrase on a 404 page any less wrong, it makes it slightly less unexpected...I think.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Time-capsule from @mrob27, deposited at Newpage 426
Do not open until Newpage 1491

Hello, my wowterful fellowOTTers of the future. The Comic has "slowed down" a bit, and it is here that I told @Timborme I'd hang back a bit and await his and BlitzGirl's arrival, so that he and I may once again trek together. This is a relatively calm era for Blitzers to rest, there is little controversy beyond the usual background of silliness. It is a Time to sample Pixels, and a Time to Contemplate Browsers' Gamma Functions§ (and why anyone would measure a pixel from a screen-capture of their browser when they could just measure the True Pixels in the OTC Frame itself?).

The big news for me this period is my lovely new hat by @ChronosDragon. Image. Thanks to the miracle of trans-temporal shipping, my hat arrived in perfect condition, as did my hat's hat, and my hat's hat's hat, and my hat's hat's hat's hat (which I hear contains a little bit o' VOOM!!!, the perfect thing for cleaning up a big mess in a pinch). I wear it proudly and will keep it clean and mustard-free.

@ucim wisely (and indeed, by papal bull) warned all of us of the dangers of "a Past, Present and Future that are continually consistent". Your warnings ring true. Thank you very much for the Quantum Uncertainty Generator, which you cleverly slipped into Nopixbot's transmission disguised as a redundakitty:
Spoiler:
Using it @Timborme and I were able to temporarily amplify the BlitzGirl-LaPetite uncertainty, and rid ourselves of those chirping mustard-chirping send the Campaign for Real Time agents to an unhappy fate on a new investigation at Newpage 1541.

Thanks @BlitzGirl for your recollections about the popes being shifted back several spots (a phenomenon I hereby dub "polygoating"). I'm continuing to collect data as I blitz along, with all seriousness it's good to have ways to measure how much the Thread gets retro-edited. I am getting help from @Sciscitor on that project now Image.

@BlitzGirl and @lmjb1964 had comments on my "BlitzGirl-Catalyzed Community Formation" theory. I think it could have been another OTTer, but BlitzGirl happens to have been the one, and we're fortunate she had an avatar that was so easily modified to look like LaPetite, and other things that clearly BlitzGirl should take credit for. Naturally I have a bit of blitzing to do and won't jump to conclusions, but I have a feeling I'll be convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt sometime around Newpage ... Wait For It.

Tragically, I hear that another great OTTer (@jjjdavidson) was seduced by the c**kies. Take solace, blitzing comrade of my afterwhen, the fever will break soon and you shall find salvation in @Eternal Density's Sandcastle Builder, for the one who posted the link that pulled us all into the Great C**kie Vortex has truly redeemed themself by creating a non-heretical way for OTTers to be addicted while truly Waiting For It. Now with Co-Co-Co-Co-Coma Molpy Style!

Speaking of C**kies (and Milk), @BlitzGirl suggested that I may enjoy myself around NP1026. Nopixbot will make sure I don't forget, though it seems I won't miss it.

I hear that @BlitzGirl and @yappobiscuits liked my retrOTTification (of xkcd 1120), thanks! I have a not-so-secret agenda of enriching the experience of the earlier Newpages. Spoiler-free OTTifications, custom-made for specific points in the Thread, seem like a good way to achieve that.

Most recently (in your Time), Nopixbot got a query from @azule:

I recognized these [footnotes] right away as Cherokee. The question is: Were these done in homage to my Cherokee footnote fit or unrelated? I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to have used them so far.

Yes, indeed, well spotted @azule! Image Image Image One of your CSA posts was part of the inspiration for that Timborme journal, perhaps I should have included it, since it was truly a gem. I'll quote it here:
azule wrote:It's that time again, kids!

BlitzGirl is a small Parisian. She is a kid. Young, full of spirit, ready to take on the world. Kicking ass and taking gems. Her hat holds her power. Which hat it is, I'm sure it does not matter, just that she have a hat. Her hair traps the wind. All stands still until she decides its time to battle. The flags will wave, and so will the sea. She will not fight the castle with her fist or foot. She will unleash the rain and punish us with the river. All will collapse to dust. It will be as it began. Tremble before the might of LaPetite!

Spoiler:
*weeps*
Thanks for the gems. I keep them on my mantle. Hmm, would they survive in the fireplace. It would be so pretty.
Gumption / bacon caffeinated semen cancer babies.
Brought to you by the CSA. Where dreams come true . . . because wake-dreams are real. Sorta

And yes, indeed, all of the Cherokee in the Thread (thus far) is ultimately the result of that post. Using Emacs' isearch-forward-regexp command and searching for the pattern /[Ꭰ-Ᏼ]/ (that's Cherokee "A" through Cherokee "YV"), I readily verified that Cherokee characters have thus far only appeared in:

I saw the "Ꮬ" in your NP396 post, loved it and put several Cherokee characters in a pocket for use later.

That's about it for this update. Those of you who count in base 10 are nearing a big round-number milestone. Leave some cupcakes for the blitzers. Nopixbot will keep some fresh in temporal stasis until I get then.

- mrob27

§What? No Ecclesiastes 3 references? Oh there it is, Newpage 9. Thanks, Nopixbot! I keep forgetting "Turn, Turn, Turn" wasn't in the Bible.
More accurately, they ring √2/2|treeish﹥ + √2/2|mustard﹥
grant application in progress, paper forthcoming.
Einstein Express - When It Absolutely, Positively, Has To Be There The Dix Before Yesterdix
Oxford comma.
Dammit, Emacs.
"CSA" is Coma Sufferers Anonymous, as seen in azule's sig. But using another Emacs search, we find that the Thread thinks "CSA" is either Come Sail Away, ... Considered in their Several Aspects, Central and South America, ... Can Say Anything ..., Courtesy of StormAngel, and (my favorite) Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG. Thanks, @AluisioASG!
πI am wondering if OTTers are playing dress-up with Nopixbot in my absence. I only ask because he keeps saying things are in his pants, but he doesn't normally wear any.

- end transmission -

Spoiler:
all-yr-quantum-belongz-2-us.jpg
ALL YR QUANTUM R BELONGZ TO US!

otter_bounce.gif
the bouncing otter
otter_bounce.gif (2.39 KiB) Viewed 20020 times

molpy-ltr.gif
An East-Going Moply.
molpy-ltr.gif (1.68 KiB) Viewed 20020 times

molpybeanie.gif
A West-Going Molpy.
molpybeanie.gif (2.5 KiB) Viewed 20020 times

molpy-ltr2.gif
An Animated East-Going Molpy.
molpy-ltr2.gif (1.7 KiB) Viewed 20020 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:

Spoiler:

Treeish!

I read that post from pabli, and right under it was a post from buffygirl. I miss buffygirl. We've lost her, haven't we? :cry:

Preview edit--took me three tries to post this. Y'all are posting a lot for a wipend!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
svenman wrote:
azule wrote:
svenman wrote:
azule wrote:FTFsvenman&mscha:

You know, actually I'd started to base my manip on mscha's OTTercomic instead of the GLR's original (which would have resulted in the same image as yours), but I changed my mind because the epilogue frame hanging on the wall would have clashed a little with my punchline. But thank you for the tribute anyway!

Whoops, forgot to say I liked your version (I wouldn't have manipped it if not). I thought the message of your comic was that this guy, still blitzing, has entered the room of a "T** **d"ist, apologeticist. Just like in the unOTTified comic, the guy proclaims to be sorry for the small mess he has left visible but does not mean this sincerely. In your version he proclaims to be sorry for T** **d yet proudly displays it on his wall. Sorry if I put the wrong meaning into my viewing of your comic.

No need to apologize. While I manip qualifies as art only on a very low level, it is often the case that someone can see a meaning in a work of art different from what the creator actually had had in mind, and that is totally legitimate. I found your understanding of my OTTercomic interesting.

My reasoning was that with T** **d, or more precisely an epilogue frame, hanging on the wall, it wouldn't make as much sense for the host to speak of having heard about t** **d, and also it would be an additional spoiler which the blitzing guest couldn't mentally drown out by "ni ni ni ni chupacabra..." etc. Of course I could have given the host another line, but I wanted something starting with "sorry" and with a similar length to his line in the original othercomic.

Right, right. I just read right past the "hear" and ....

So, I guess it's time to set up my own version with all changes that were in my head.
FixedForMyHeadVersion:

Treeish! And I noticed you also removed the garment, or whatever it's supposed to be, on the floor that the host apologized for in the original othercomic. I'd been in two minds myself whether I should edit it out or leave it in my manip.

However, the host now apologizes for the end of the OTC flat out? For me, this allows of only one interpretation. And in the light of the original othercomic, that takes us in the completely opposite direction graphically. I just had to sit down and make the next version of this OTTercomic:

Alt-text: And maybe, just maybe, clean up your room a little?

You realize, of course, who the host is supposed to be in this version, right? :wink: And just in case you're interested where all the scattered additional objects came from:
Spoiler:
Coloured balls from mrob27's ottification of othercomic 149; turtle from othercomic 636; laptop in the corner by the door from othercomic 669; laptop on the bed, glass, notepad and various crumpled tissues from othercomic 861; velociraptor figurine based on a panel from othercomic 1037 ("Umwelt"), as available on explainxkcd, with reversed colours and the elliptical base added in MS Paint; and the miniature trebuchet of course from newpix M403.

mikrit wrote:I was thinking about how strange it is that the Swedish letters ÅÄÖ are not A and O with diacritics, but separate letters with their own place in the alphabet. They just happen to look exactly like A and O with diacritics.

It would be a lot less confusing if the German letters ÄÖÜ also had their own place in the German alphabet. But they don't! With regard to spelling and pronunciation, they are treated as letters of their own, but with regard to alphabetization, they aren't, here they act like AOU with diacritics. So a German Ä or Ö and a Swedish one may look (and pretty much also sound) exactly the same, but they are not the same!

Redundant
Spoiler:
1267_dontspoilerme.PNG
1267_dontspoilerme.PNG (39.02 KiB) Viewed 19997 times

RobinRedundamolp.JPG
RobinRedundamolp.JPG (59.27 KiB) Viewed 19997 times

Edit: Mustardy word fixed.
Last edited by svenman on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

@mrob27: A molpy that goes right instead of left?! This is REVOLUTIONARY! I can lead my molpies in the other direction! ImageImageImageImageImageImage
@svenman: Treeish new version of the OTTercomic!
@StormAngel: Baobabish music video. Echidnamolps are adorable!
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

A note on the "Discount Swedish Furniture" boost in Sandcastle Builder (it's one of the redundakitty boosts): 4mNP is waaay too short for me and my trackpad, so I'm 0 for 4 on successful purchases during those. A slightly longer (by maybe 2 or 3 mNP) duration might be nice.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Grrrrrrrr

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

I wrote a long post and it didn't submit because ninjas and now it's lost.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Don't worry - it's gone to the magical land of misplaced posts, where it can molp about free on a fanciful OTT made up of all of the other lost blitzposts and ketchups that we never got the chance to see.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Don't worry - it's gone to the magical land of misplaced posts, where it can molp about free on a fanciful OTT made up of all of the other lost blitzposts and ketchups that we never got the chance to see.

such a place must exist, encrypted in the websites code as it spirals onward through time. Maybe that's where firstsposts go while in moderation. we should ask them.
edit so's to not double post:
Do any of you people who made panoramas have the cueganless frames lying around anywhere? I'd much appreciate them.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

This morning's email contained the following!

BeanieAd.jpg

Eternal Density

Molpy Up your pants

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:In other news: Seeing that others take interest in the Database I added a new feature, which could come handy for Eternal Density: http://178.79.159.24:8080/Time/otcolorization/1/ (or any other valid framenumber) will return a png of the OTColorization of this frame if there is any. If there is none, it just sends the original png. If there are more than one, it randomizes.
I haven't yet reached the heritical chroma boost, but it may be interesting to display colorized frames at that stage... I still would need to know which numbering scheme Sandcastle Builder uses to be able to return the correct frame. If you are interested in this, ED, just drop me a line.

Currently I use xkcd.mscha.org/frame/n

Sandcastle Builder players: would you like Chromatic Heresy to display OTColorizations? I think it's a neat idea.
waveney wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:@ED: I don't seem to be able to get the wipeout badge. My waves have destroyed way more than 500 castles, but somehow the badge does not trigger.

Wipeout is almost impossible to get - @ED is hopefully fixing it. You can only get it if you don't have any rivers and are careless about not having enough castles to meet the destruction requirements, and then lose a lot of castles (more than 500). Expect changes.
You mean "you can only get it if you are very careful about not having enough castles to meet the destruction requirements" :P
But I'm pretty sure that it's only checking for meeting the conditions if a nonzero amount is destroyed, so everyone who should have been given the badge when it was first added but already got to 0 destruction will not have been given it. So at least that has to be fixed, but I do think that Wipeout is flawed in general. I think I'll do what I did with Erosion and make it able to be achieved with Rivers also, since rivers give a LOT of destruction.
waveney wrote:@ED Could we have some new serious objectives in Castle Builder - I just got "Castle Galaxy", and I "stored ALL of the sand" an hour ago... No cheating, just careful play. Ths took 303 Newpix.

Some format improvement sugestions:
1) Make the castles/sand/sandpmnpp box wider, so it does not expand to 8 lines: xxxx/castles/yyyy/sand out of/zzzz/needed/aaaa/sand mnp
2) For sand and castle tools put number owned below the name/buy/sell allowing the price to be below the icon and have full width
3) Consider shorter less wordy formats later in the game (eg drop he word castles in the price

Having got so far I don't want to molpy down - I have worked around every error I have made and mechanics changes.
I have some 'new serious objective' plans in the works though I have bugfixes to work on first. It's good to know that Castle Galaxy and ALL of the sand are achievable :D Thanks for the format suggestions, they're all good. Also currently if you hack in large enough numbers it tries to switch to exponential notation but my format function doesn't know so it still puts commas in, which looks seriously messed up :P
pablithemantis wrote:Has anyone yet brought up the fact that Randall dramatically reeled us in to the storyline by keeping the characters silent for the majority of the animation, and then suddenly creating an increasingly complicated plot a few hundred frames in? Very clever, that Mr. Munroe.
Amazing how the silent frames used to be a majority, long long ago.
HAL9000 wrote:A note on the "Discount Swedish Furniture" boost in Sandcastle Builder (it's one of the redundakitty boosts): 4mNP is waaay too short for me and my trackpad, so I'm 0 for 4 on successful purchases during those. A slightly longer (by maybe 2 or 3 mNP) duration might be nice.

Sorry, it is supposed to be ridiculously short, but I didn't consider trackpads. When on my phone I only get purchases half the time, not counting all the times it activated via Blast Furnace in my absence.
Are you in shortpix or longpix? In longpix it's twice as long since mNP are twice as long.

I think that's most of what I wanted to say 2.5 nopix ago. Okay time to have a look at those icons...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: Molpy Up your pants

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:\
HAL9000 wrote:A note on the "Discount Swedish Furniture" boost in Sandcastle Builder (it's one of the redundakitty boosts): 4mNP is waaay too short for me and my trackpad, so I'm 0 for 4 on successful purchases during those. A slightly longer (by maybe 2 or 3 mNP) duration might be nice.

Sorry, it is supposed to be ridiculously short, but I didn't consider trackpads. When on my phone I only get purchases half the time, not counting all the times it activated via Blast Furnace in my absence.
Are you in shortpix or longpix? In longpix it's twice as long since mNP are twice as long.

I think that's most of what I wanted to say 2.5 nopix ago. Okay time to have a look at those icons...

Aha, yes, that's my issue. I'm still in the shortpix. The doubling in duration at the Slowing should let me get a purchase in.

Eternal Density

Re: Molpy Up your pants

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:\

Aha, yes, that's my issue. I'm still in the shortpix. The doubling in duration at the Slowing should let me get a purchase in.

Alright, I'll leave it as it is for now. I have enough other stuff to fiddle with...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

svenman wrote:Image
Alt-text: And maybe, just maybe, clean up your room a little?

You realize, of course, who the host is supposed to be in this version, right? :wink:
I love how our little exchange resulted in this creation. Lovely how it's now Randall and his obliviousness of spoilering us. Thanks for playing this game with me. You win. :)

mrob27 wrote:
Spoiler:
Most recently (in your Time), Nopixbot got a query from @azule:

I recognized these [footnotes] right away as Cherokee. The question is: Were these done in homage to my Cherokee footnote fit or unrelated? I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to have used them so far.

Yes, indeed, well spotted @azule! Image Image Image One of your CSA posts was part of the inspiration for that Timborme journal, perhaps I should have included it, since it was truly a gem. I'll quote it here:
azule wrote:It's that time again, kids!

BlitzGirl is a small Parisian. She is a kid. Young, full of spirit, ready to take on the world. Kicking ass and taking gems. Her hat holds her power. Which hat it is, I'm sure it does not matter, just that she have a hat. Her hair traps the wind. All stands still until she decides its time to battle. The flags will wave, and so will the sea. She will not fight the castle with her fist or foot. She will unleash the rain and punish us with the river. All will collapse to dust. It will be as it began. Tremble before the might of LaPetite!

*weeps*
Thanks for the gems. I keep them on my mantle. Hmm, would they survive in the fireplace. It would be so pretty.
Gumption / bacon caffeinated semen cancer babies.
Brought to you by the CSA. Where dreams come true . . . because wake-dreams are real. Sorta
And yes, indeed, all of the Cherokee in the Thread (thus far) is ultimately the result of that post. Using Emacs' isearch-forward-regexp command and searching for the pattern /[Ꭰ-Ᏼ]/ (that's Cherokee "A" through Cherokee "YV"), I readily verified that Cherokee characters have thus far only appeared in:

I saw the "Ꮬ" in your NP396 post, loved it and put several Cherokee characters in a pocket for use later.
Thanks for that review. I totally forgot I wrote that, and I've seen that Dr. Seuss book and never thought there'd be something cool like that inside! P.S. Secret revealing time (unless I forgot that I already revealed it): I wrote that bit and then reversed the order of the sentences (hence why the footnotes match in reverse order). It turned out cooler in reverse. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on mrob's reference to The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. I loved that book when I was little! :D

DrSamCarter wrote:Image

Free Beanie! Can we pick whichever one we want? And does Rosetta count, or will I have to settle for one of the survey crew?

Eternal Density wrote:Sandcastle Builder players: would you like Chromatic Heresy to display OTColorizations? I think it's a neat idea.

Ooh, the ability to enable OTColored newpix would be awesomeful!

ergman wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Don't worry - it's gone to the magical land of misplaced posts, where it can molp about free on a fanciful OTT made up of all of the other lost blitzposts and ketchups that we never got the chance to see.

such a place must exist, encrypted in the websites code as it spirals onward through time. Maybe that's where firstsposts go while in moderation. we should ask them.

I think this calls for an ottification...

The Lost Thread of Misplaced Posts
(to the tune of The Most Wonderful Day of the Year from the Rankin/Bass Rudolph special)
Spoiler:
We're in the lost thread of misplaced posts
Here we don't want to stay
We want to be on the One True Thread
Put out on display!

A bundle of posts
Full of smileys and toasts
With compliments for
All the OTTers our hosts
Though we may disappear -
We're just molping about over here!

When you lose a post you may whimper and shout
"Oh no! So much I wanted to talk about!"

Posts galore, vanished by the score
And though you feel sore
Just cheer up because we keep what was!

A signpost by BlitzGirl
Ketchup by E.D.
Blitzposts that have grown quite as large as the sea

"Don't you hate it when you lose all those quotes?"
"Or when you type a whole paragraph and it's suddenly gone?"
"Or a brilliant observation that you simply... forget?"
"We're all misplaced!"
"How would you like it when you go to post and you're logged out?"
"Or when your browser dies and loses the tab?"
"Or your computer f-f-freezes up?"
"We're all misplaced!"

If we're in the lost thread of long misplaced posts
We'll Wait here just thinking of OTTerish hosts
We're just molping and molping and molping and molping and molping about over here!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

took longer to post than to make :P

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Taking a very quick break from bugfixing to do this:
Redundant++
Spoiler:
ImageTACK BLIXTFLICKAN, JA!
1267_dontrollme.PNG
1267_dontrollme.PNG (39.34 KiB) Viewed 19798 times

SB Boost KittiesGalore.png
This is the shape of things to come
SB Boost KittiesGalore.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 19798 times

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 am UTC

So, today I went to visit the local museum (very eyeish) and I saw many things, yet I'll have to go there next week to finish viewing everything. I saw HAL, and I also saw this:
ImageImage

redundant[]
Spoiler:
IMG_20130922_170148.jpg
Time Master, by Andy Hope 1930

IMG_20130922_170356.jpg
Time Lies, by Andy Hope 1930
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, today I went to visit the local museum (very eyeish) and I saw many things, yet I'll have to go there next week to finish viewing everything. I saw HAL, and I also saw this:

redundant[]
Spoiler:
Time Master, by Andy Hope 1930

Time Lies, by Andy Hope 1930

That mountain sorta looks like kenmelken, too! It's all related!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The Lost Thread of Misplaced Posts
(to the tune of The Most Wonderful Day of the Year from the Rankin/Bass Rudolph special)
Spoiler:
We're in the lost thread of misplaced posts
Here we don't want to stay
We want to be on the One True Thread
Put out on display!

A bundle of posts
Full of smileys and toasts
With compliments for
All the OTTers our hosts

When you lose a post you may whimper and shout
"Oh no! So much I wanted to talk about!"

Posts galore, vanished by the score
And though you feel sore
Just cheer up because we keep what was!

A signpost by BlitzGirl
Ketchup by E.D.
Blitzposts that have grown quite as large as the sea

"Don't you hate it when you lose all those quotes?"
"Or when you type a whole paragraph and it's suddenly gone?"
"Or a brilliant observation that you simply... forget?"
"We're all misplaced!"
"How would you like it when you go to post and you're logged out?"
"Or when your browser dies and loses the tab?"
"Or your computer f-f-freezes up?"
"We're all misplaced!"

If we're in the lost thread of long misplaced posts
We'll Wait here just thinking of OTTerish hosts
We're just molping and molping and molping and molping and molping about over here!

Aww! That was totally wowterful. And brought back nostalgia for that movie. And got me all excited for Christmas :mrgreen:
We're just molping and molping and molping and molping...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Just three more mips until Christmas! :mrgreen:

Du är välkommen, Evig Densitet, JA!
(Please pardon my probably-mangled Swedish.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Blixtnedslag Kattungar, JA!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:56 am UTC

It turns out that Wipeout was checking if 200 castles had been wasted by waves, though the description said 500 destroyed by waves. Maybe I changed it to make it easier a long time ago, without actually changing it? Now it does actually check if 500 castles have been destroyed by waves. So for most people it'll be earned on the next ONG. If you have destroyed less than 500 castles with waves and your waves are destroying 0, well you'll probably have to sell some rivers :P

After the update, that is. It's not done yet though I already have one of the longer changelogs.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Hehe, Evig Densitet... *proceeds to Germanify*
To the tune of the chorus of this (chorus starts at 2:05) ...more "atypical" music for y'all :P

Das neue Spiel, mit Sand so viel,
Zu bauen Sandburgen ist unser Ziel!
Trotz finst're Nacht, stets unbeirrt,
Beständig fortschreitend, das Ewige Dichte!

I'm better at German than I am at Swedish but still not very good at all so this is probably still a bit mustardy... it's supposed to be:
Spoiler:
The new game, with lots of sand,
To build sancastles is our goal!
Despite the dark night, always undeterred
Forever progressing, the Eternal Density!

(Obviously it only rhymes in German :P)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:57 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Du är välkommen, Evig Densitet, JA!
(Please pardon my probably-mangled Swedish.)
"You are welcome, evil dentist, Yeah!"

Nothing magled at all!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”