What Book Would You Turn Into A Game?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

maydayp

What Book Would You Turn Into A Game?

Postby maydayp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 am UTC

So books to games are even more rare then books to movies. But I think there are some books that would make awesome games.

My Picks:
The Wheel of time. RPG, condensing at least two or three books for each game. Each character's paths would be unique, which encourages the player to play every character (you would pick). Or you play all characters at once, switching during the "boring" times to the characters who are doing something interesting, with video sequences to tell you what happened.

Malazan Book of the Fallen: It's ironic that I would choose this game. It was intended to be a game to start with. I haven't read the whole series, but with all the fight scenes, at least parts of the book could be turned into a game (like Malazan:The conquest of [Seven Cities]).

Devon Monk's Ally Beckstrom series would make a great action adventure game, And you could probably condense all the books into one.

Though with all these books I must admit, I see them changing, since most people (myself included) wouldn't have much patience with a game that has a lot of the filler that books need to explain things. But if the information was presented correctly they would be awesome.

LaserGuy

Re: What Book Would You Turn Into A Game?

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

I haven't read the others, so I can only really comment on Wheel of Time here.

I don't know how well it would work as an RPG, at least, not in the classical sense of the term. High fantasy doesn't actually translate into good RPGs as easily as you'd expect. While there is a some stuff in WoT that does sort of fit into an RPG mould (battles, bosses...), there's an awful lot of other stuff that doesn't. Combat with the One Power in an RPG setting could be quite cool--figuring out how to mix weaves, how much you can absorb before burning out and how strong you are compared to your opponent, angreal, sa'angreal, having to deflect attacks to try to cut you off, forming circles, trying to beat saidin with saidar or vice versa, etc. Friggin' balefire. I think that'd probably be the best part of a WoT RPG. If you stripped away everything else about the series and just made a really good (multiplayer) One Power combat simulator, you'd probably have a pretty fun game.

I'm not sure a lot of the rest would work nearly so well. A quarter of the series is dedicated to White Tower politics. I'm not sure what you do with that. Look at Egwene's entire storyline--how would she work as a playable character? While she does get a few big battles near the end of the series, most of her arc is about her personal growth into a role of leadership and authority (and then she jumps the shark a bit at the end, IMHO, but that's an argument for a different thread). Ditto with Perrin--most of his arc is about resolving the issues with his crazy wife and learning to be a responsible leader. Though again, fighting in the World of Dreams could be really friggin' cool if it were done right. Rand probably has the most RPGish plot--go from A to B, get stronger, kill boss, repeat. Except for the madness part.

Then there's the length to consider...

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

They did make a wheel of time game (It was a FPS not an RPG though)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

I'd play LEGO Wheel of Time, but in general it has the same problem when it comes to video game versions as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings - either you railroad the characters down a specific path, pretty much denying player agency, or you abandon the plot, which is the most distinctive feature...

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

I'm not sure it would make a good computer game, but once people get orbital tourism commercially viable someone needs to put a battle room up there STAT. It makes me all tingly just thinking about it - the enemy's gate is down! :D

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:I'm not sure it would make a good computer game, but once people get orbital tourism commercially viable someone needs to put a battle room up there STAT. It makes me all tingly just thinking about it - the enemy's gate is down! :D

And the actual space-battle sim would make a good game too. The Fantasy Game wouldn't unless you have a much better AI to run it...

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'd play LEGO Wheel of Time, but in general it has the same problem when it comes to video game versions as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings - either you railroad the characters down a specific path, pretty much denying player agency, or you abandon the plot, which is the most distinctive feature...

But there are lots and lots of good Star Wars games, they just tend to not use the main characters from the movies, or use them sparingly. It's a great universe to build games in with all the cool space ships and laser swords and guys that can magic-fight each other. I don't really know anything about the Wheel of Time, but it seems like it's 'big' enough to have adventures and stuff outside of the main plots of the books.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Well, if you wanted to keep the same universe with an original story, you could always set the game at a different time period from the main story. If you set the game in the Trolloc Wars, say, you could pretty much write whatever story you want--there's only a few events in canon that are described in detail. If you want to keep the game within the main story, it's obviously going to be much more linear if you want it to actually be relatively faithful, though even then, I suppose you could still write the game from the point of view of some character who intersects with the main story, but isn't actually one of the principals--a random Aes Sedai or Aiel warrior or Tinker (!) or whatever.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 am UTC

Well, the Westing Game was fun.

centrifugal

Postby centrifugal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:39 pm UTC

I would turn Dune into a game. I know it's been made into a game in the past, but this was a long time ago. A dune with graphics similar to LA Noire or Assassin's Creed and interesting gameplay with rich dialogues would be a blast to play.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

Maybe we can get a RTS out of the Silmarillion? Or perhaps a board game?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 pm UTC

I think Endymion would make an excellent adventure game. Especially as a kind of survival shtick.

I would love to play a game set in the Name of the Wind universe. There's so much potential for clever uses of the magic system.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

For those itching for a WoT rpg, try some of the Mount and Blade mods that try this.

M&B probably isn't the best engine for 'magic' but it's unsurpassed for feeling like you're a soldier in the middle of a battle, riding your horse and shooting a bow/couching a lance. In the one I tried, the casters were a bit overpowered compared to the soldier styles (bow/melee), but that sort of fits the book as well.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote: I would love to play a game set in the Name of the Wind universe. There's so much potential for clever uses of the magic system.

That would indeed be excellent - it could potentially reward planning ahead much more than most such games: want to use destructive magic - better make sure you grab a branch from that bonfire so you have a link to an energy source; think you might need to kill someone quietly - probably a good idea to sneak up behind them and snip off a hair in advance, then find somewhere quiet to make a mommet. I also like the concept of magic usage (if there's no external source) temporarily depleting the health bar (simulating binders chills), rather than having a separate mana bar.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 pm UTC

I can imagine it being an incredibly difficult to code magic engine, but there would be a ton of opportunities for awesome things.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:12 am UTC

Snow Crash would be cool because it'd be a game within a game. Programmers/hackers are like celebrities in their Tron-internet thing, so there could also be a creative aspect where players write their own code.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Snow Crash would be cool because it'd be a game within a game. Programmers/hackers are like celebrities in their Tron-internet thing, so there could also be a creative aspect where players write their own code.

I've always been interested in the idea of games where coding is an integral part of gameplay (but not the only part of gameplay) - the only one I know of is the shelved 0x10c from Mojang, where your spaceship was going to include a fully functional 16-bit computer which you could program any way you like, I think programs would also have been tradable commodities so you could, for example, design a faster weapons targeting script, and sell it for profit.

I'm hoping that Project Trillek, an open source project inspired by 0x10c makes it off the ground.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

Ender's Game battle room.

gilan

Postby gilan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 am UTC

I turned The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes into a game.
Trying to make games for smart people since 1986. http://beacegames.nfshost.com/

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

I love the topic of this thread because I have thought about the first game I'd write based on a book.
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem.

I suppose it'd have to be something like Myst.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:19 pm UTC

The Hardy Boys Casefiles. Especially #1 (or #1-4 as a single game), and the Phoenix trilogy (#64-66).
Also, maybe some of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery series.

Or, you know, some of the classic original series. Hunting for Hidden Gold and The House on the Cliff were always my favorite. But I thought of the Casefiles first, because they were more action-packed (for the 90's teen reader!)

EDIT: I guess there have been a couple of Hardy Boys video games? I had never heard of them, though... I guess they weren't the big bestsellers I thought they would be... but they could be big if they were done well by major companies and promoted.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:35 pm UTC

A Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire

I am imagining it in the style of Grand Theft Auto. You just run around killing people and sleeping with hookers (then kill them and take their money), and that's only if you follow the story line.

Aside from that easy target, I'd like to see some of the classics made into cutting edge, gritty games. Like Tarzan. Turn that into a gritty, kill or be killed jungle adventure, where you are just a strong, wild man (not the superhuman Boroughs describes, but realistically strong) and it is your job to stop (read "kill") poachers and hunters, fight off (read "kill") predators, and become the dominant ape in your tribe. All of which takes more ingenuity and guile than strength.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

Nobody's mentioned Iain M Banks' The Player of Games yet?

A somewhat Azad-lite version of the Game, which would probably look a bit like a Turn Based Strategy plus minigames to influence it, would probably be a good start. But to then step back and include the actual events of the book in a manner where you could diverge from the plot... I think that could be interesting.

(I still miss the beardy git)
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:03 pm UTC

An aside... I'd love to see a Total War game based on the Thirty Years War. But I'd hope it would be less broken than TW: Rome II. :(

And a game based on Philip Dick's Do Andoids Dream of Electric Sheep would be supercool. But something more than a simple Run & Gun. Maybe like the original turn based Fallout.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:The Hardy Boys Casefiles. Especially #1 (or #1-4 as a single game), and the Phoenix trilogy (#64-66).
Also, maybe some of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery series.

Or, you know, some of the classic original series. Hunting for Hidden Gold and The House on the Cliff were always my favorite. But I thought of the Casefiles first, because they were more action-packed (for the 90's teen reader!)

EDIT: I guess there have been a couple of Hardy Boys video games? I had never heard of them, though... I guess they weren't the big bestsellers I thought they would be... but they could be big if they were done well by major companies and promoted.

There are a bunch of Nancy Drew games too! I have never played them but I have a friend who talks about them a lot. They seem like puzzle games of sorts. Or maybe those are the games you linked. I've never read the books so I can't tell whether the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew are in the same continuity or actually just the same thing.

Echo244 wrote:Nobody's mentioned Iain M Banks' The Player of Games yet?

A somewhat Azad-lite version of the Game, which would probably look a bit like a Turn Based Strategy plus minigames to influence it, would probably be a good start. But to then step back and include the actual events of the book in a manner where you could diverge from the plot... I think that could be interesting.

(I still miss the beardy git)
I don't think anyone could do it justice, and I'd be afraid to try it in case it was disappointing.

I'd like Ancillary Justice as a kind of Zelda-style space thing, not really the book but like, the missing 17 years of adventure that are briefly mentioned in it.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

Oooh, ooh!

50 Shades of Grey

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:54 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Snow Crash would be cool because it'd be a game within a game. Programmers/hackers are like celebrities in their Tron-internet thing, so there could also be a creative aspect where players write their own code.

I feel like pretty much any Neal Stephenson book as a modern adventure game would be sweet. Especially 'Zodiac' and 'Anathem' ('The Big U' would be an amazing roguelike).

Kewangji wrote:I'd like Ancillary Justice as a kind of Zelda-style space thing, not really the book but like, the missing 17 years of adventure that are briefly mentioned in it.

I would never have thought of that, but yes, please, I now want this so hard.

Whizbang wrote:Oooh, ooh!

50 Shades of Grey

You can get pretty close with modded Oblivion...

The Otherland series by Tad Williams is a fairly obvious choice. So much so that it's actually been done, but I haven't heard whether the game is any good or not.

I imagine Fight Club as a a sort of bizarre Frog Fractions style thing.

I'd love to play a Bioshock style game set in the Rust belt from Alastair Reynolds 'Revelation Space' stories, or a Minecraft/Space Engineers mash-up on Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars'.

Other than that, I'm looking at my collection and nothing is really jumping out at me.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:

I feel like pretty much any Neal Stephenson book as a modern adventure game would be sweet. Especially 'Zodiac' and 'Anathem' ('The Big U' would be an amazing roguelike)

The Otherland series by Tad Williams is a fairly obvious choice. So much so that it's actually been done, but I haven't heard whether the game is any good or not.

I imagine Fight Club as a a sort of bizarre Frog Fractions style thing.

I'd love to play a Bioshock style game set in the Rust belt from Alastair Reynolds 'Revelation Space' stories, or a Minecraft/Space Engineers mash-up on Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars'.

Other than that, I'm looking at my collection and nothing is really jumping out at me.

Linking to Frog Fractions? That counts as evil... ;-P

Anathem is a magnificent story but... yeah, maybe it would work as a modern adventure game, but I think it'd be tricky to do it full justice. Especially the end bit.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

D. Koski

Postby D. Koski » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:52 am UTC

An old Orson Scott Card book called The Magic Box. Specifically for a revelation that there's a person who has the ability to make other people imagine persons, sometimes multiple persons. It works excellently as a way of illustrating the way people project all these thoughts and feelings on to others without really knowing about them as well as they think they do.

It would be a point n click adventure game. And surely since no one remembers it Card would let it go for a song.

Return to “Books”