1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:MWAH!

Anyone seen the first true hatter lately?

Putting the lid back on, 1522/1574. My hard drive is failing which is somewhat problematic.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

ASSEVERATONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:Ketchup fail. I pretty much have no meaningful chance of reading this whole thread now. Oh well.

Oh hey! A beanie boat! That seems vaguely familiar. :wink:

It's ok. You can stay in the present if you want to, and consult the wiki as needed. We welcome all kinds here.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Hey Sciscitor... per request:
http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/data/verse.txt

Thank you Kieryn, the format is fine... as to what I will do with it, that's rather simple. I am planning to import it into the Database of Time.
Interestingly enough the heuristics I employ to classify a filetype thinks it is C-source... mhm... what does this say about the quality of the verses?
Funny newslides btw.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Eternal Density

Molpy Up ETA 10

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl is better at headlining than me.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:A real life? I don't really even try anymore :P

Yeah, real life gets in the way of my coding and ottifying. "Stop trying to have sex with me, I need to make funny things for people on the internet."

Hm. We should be able to upgrade to a true multitask OS by now.

[switching to task: Notifications/Facebook]
[switching to task: BCC/CI056/Proj1/Quicksort]
Hmm. I know I mentioned sex...and your response was to fix the situation... so what you said (again, not 10% on it) probably is sexual. Is it BCC? CI056? Haha, Quicksort...that's just filthy. lol.

ergman, cool to see my quote in your sig. 8-)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: Molpy Up

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

@Valarya: Hi Val! Don't get too worried about ketchup - I still have some to do myself, and I know how hard it is to find the Time. It's just good to see you :)
@chem1190c: Hi! It's treeish to see you again too! :D Please do stick around - it doesn't matter how much of the OTT you read, we're happy to have you with us anyway.
@42 guests: Hello from the future! Best of luck on your ketchup blitz!

waveney wrote:We have just had a 42 guest sandwich again:
Spoiler:

Yay! It's been a while since we've had one of those!

HES wrote: My hard drive is failing which is somewhat problematic.

Oh no! I can sympathize - I don't think my laptop's hard drive is much longer for this world, either.

Eternal Density wrote:BlitzGirl is better at headlining than me.

Silly molpy. Your headlines are fine! :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Thanks for all the comments again! *off to find that list of unOTTified comics again*

Do I officially own NP 1572, then?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

My day so far:
Gotta do some work. Ok, maybe just a little ketchup first.
*reads some posts*
That was awesomeful. Now I really need to do some work.
*looks in email inbox*
Nope, don't want to do that right now. Nah, do that later. Steambottle, definitely don't want to do that right now. Ooh, this one's easy. Now back to the OTT.
*reads more OTT*
Treeish! Ok, gotta do some more work...
And repeat.

So, it's been a scattered ketchup, but I love the new OTThercomics. Each one was awesomeful and hilarious.Zooman

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Halloween preparations? Do you mean preparations such as prepping an entire army of undead molpies?

Eh, I don't know. That seems like a lot of work. First you have to gather all the molpies, then you have to make them dead, then you have to make them undead...

Unless you find some that are already dead. Check your local biology lab, or along a nearby highway.

ergman, I loved your redundant Nightmare Before Christmas otty.

re: angst:

ChronosDragon wrote:New AoTC, and more ottifications than I have spines on my tail! (that's 32, by the way. Not that I was counting ottifications, but there sure were a lot!)

Spoiler:
Been feeling a bit...I dunno... lost, lately. Like I can't keep track of everything and I'm not sure if I'm doing things right and abstractly speaking I have no idea who I am. I keep doing things the way I've always done but these processes have inefficiencies and my schedule is overloaded. Things are being left out. I have an unfinished commission and a research project I'm falling behind on and a quilt square to design for my grandparents and 2 decades of united states history to cram into my head every 3.5 days and personal projects to keep up with and a portal mod to create and a website to run and comics to ottify and all the while am I an introverted teenager who can't deal with his issues or a steampunk dragon who is too cool to care?

I think I "get" why teenagers are so weird now. Everything is all confusing in the head. Neural unbalance from a gradual efficiency upgrade that hasn't reached all the parts of the brain yet while the system is trying to cope with unprecedented input from all angles, and sense to try and make out of all of it. It's hard to be a citizen of the internet and of a real life and not lose bytes in the transfer. I'm amazed I was even coherent enough to write this segment of rapids from my stream of consciousness. Everything happens always and I'm trying to keep up with it all but I can't and I know I can't but I don't know what parts to ignore and what parts to grasp onto and gosh, it'd be nice to get 10 hours of sleep for once.

Sometimes, a person needs to think things through "out loud" and I'm happy I'm comfortable enough with all of you folks to be able to do that. I don't expect pity or agreement or really any sort of response at all, but I don't have a diary so this is the next best thing.

(And if it seems like that's a lot of projects going on at once, it is, and as I implied, I can really only work on one at a time. School takes priority, as always, but the rest are being juggled day to day and a lot of times if I don't have anything to say it's not because I'm not here but because I have nothing to add, creatively. And I'm not a big believer in talking just for the sake of talking.)

yappobiscuits wrote:@ChronosDragon -
Spoiler:
Poor molpy, I know how you feel. And I think some of that doesn't even apply to teenagers, I mean, I still relate to some of that now. Especially the whole thing about having too many projects going on. I find, even though I have plenty of time to work on all the projects I have on my plate, I just don't have the brainpower. I find, the more projects I have, the less I feel up to actually doing anything. I just can't cope with so much stuff to be doing, my brain just goes into shutdown and I end up doing absolutely nothing even though there's loads I need to be doing. It's like my brain is a web browser with far too many tabs open so it runs ridiculously slowly and then eventually crashes. Would you look at that, now I'm thinking out loud. But yeah, one needs to do that from time to time...

CD, I'm glad you feel you can share here, and as others have already mentioned, you're not alone. And yappo, I have that exact same thing happen to me. I just get overwhelmed, can't decide where to start, and so don't do anything. Not very productive. And I don't know if it will make you feel better or worse to know that it's not just in your teens and twenties--I'm mumble mumble mumble years old, and I still haven't grown out of it.

@maniexx wrote:Is there any official guide/dictionary for reading this thread?

Welcome to the thread! Don't listen to Neil. Avoid the green slime monster at all costs.

Loved loved loved the new AotC!! :D

Valarya wrote:

This isn't a real ketchup as I'm 30 pages behind, barely have the time to post these dips, and will have absolutely no time to read those missed pages. Which is killing me, btw. ;)

Yay, Val is back! Nice to see you! Stop by whenever you can,

waveney wrote:We have just had a 42 guest sandwich again:

Spoiler:
42 guests.png

Well, that's just redundant.HES

chem1190c wrote:Ketchup fail. I pretty much have no meaningful chance of reading this whole thread now. Oh well.

Oh hey! A beanie boat! That seems vaguely familiar. :wink:

And chem1190c too! This is awesomeful. Read what you can, post when you can. Always nice to see you.

ZoomanIs there an OTTish word for hilarious?
HESAnd therefore good.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

And some very quick OTTifications:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
Visual Field (xkcd 1080).png
Freedom (xkcd 706).png
Constructive (xkcd 810).png
Beautiful Dream (xkcd 800).png
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

mrob27

Chronogram from mrob27 (NP656)

Postby mrob27 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

Chronogram from mrob27
Origin: NP656; Destimation: NP1575

I have returned from the road trip during which I was able to Blitz but not as quickly. I have a lot more to report about the OTC and OTT back in the mid-600's, but most of this concerns the Present (i.e. your time).

ᐅ ᐅ ᐅ Correspondence ᐊ ᐊ ᐊ

About @Kieryn's QI (quote index) statistic:
SBN wrote: mrob27 has indeed been a nice addition, but I think you might need to look at post-length along with count. His tend to be long, while The minim's are often quite short. Nothing wrong with either, but a long post does give more opportunities for others to see something to respond to.

Yep, clearly post-length is a factor, and perhaps you chould check other blitzers during their initial blitz period. For example, try computing the QI for BlitzGirl but only for the first (say) 500 Newpages (she finished her initial blitz on NP 442).
    But an even more important factor is the very reason for quoting: establishing context. There are many posts that are replying to another post but without quoting it, because the reply is the very next post so it's obvious who they're replying to. It's almost as if the OTT were a chatroom :)
    That means that an OTTer's QI is going to depend on when they post, and how many others are around to read and reply quickly. Naturally they both need to be in the present, so anyone doing ketchup is boosting the QI of those they reply to and are more likely to get quoted explicitly themselves, boosting their QI. Perhaps there is a bias for or against certain timezones because of when different people coma.
     Maybe some of these factors could be eliminated with an "estimated implicit quote-count" added for any post that does not actually contain a quote: you'd need to assume that they are "quoting" one of the recentmost preceding posts.

ᐅ ᐅ ᐅ My Multi-Quote Script ᐊ ᐊ ᐊ

I've blitzed to the Newpage when @Pikrass announced the multi-quote script. I used this script a lot when I was in the Present, but it always was hard to deal with the huge amount of big block quotes I have to wade through and edit to remove the irrelevant parts. I like Multi-Quote, but I need to be able to edit each individual quote separately. Also, I found the little tiny (100-pixel-high) editing window it gives you is too small.
     So, I figured out how Multi-Quote works and modified it to allow editing each block of quoted-text immediately after you hit Quote on each post you're replying to.
     This change required a few things, which I'll list here. In the actual code (full listing below) they're all tagged with "RPM 2013-10-27":
  • req.open needs to be synchronous, so we actually get the quote text before creating the reply block for editing.
  • makeReplyArea includes the quote block; also a few HTML entities like "&quot;" are converted for readability.
  • aggregateQuotes no longer needs to add the quote blocks because they're already part of each reply block.

Here's an example of the script in action:
Spoiler:
And here's the resulting text block, a double-dactyl replying to @Angelastic, after I deleted the highlighted section of text, and clicked "Save":

Angelastic wrote:
Exodies wrote:I'm intrigued by the bank being undercut. Shouldn't that only happen on the outside bank of a bend in the river?

I think it's just grass sticking out; it's not really undercut.

Cueball will fall from the
undercut riverbank
Megan will hurry to
throw him the rope

promising never to
lend him the valuable
dildogunboomerang
till he can cope

Here's the full code listing, Spoilered for seaishness:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name Multiquote for the One True Forum
// @description Changes quote buttons behaviour to quote multiple messages
// @author Pikrass and mrob27
// @version 5330
// @resource quote_waiting imgs/quote_waiting.png
// @resource quote_ok imgs/quote_ok.png
// @include http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php*
// @include http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php*
// @include http://forums.xkcd.com/posting.php*
// @include http://fora.xkcd.com/posting.php*
// ==/UserScript==

multiquote = {
   init: function() {
      this.quotes = JSON.parse(GM_getValue('quotes', '{}'));
   },

convert: function() {
      this.init();

var buttons = document.getElementsByClassName('quote-icon');
      var i;
      for(i=0 ; i<buttons.length ; i++) {
         var link = buttons[i].firstChild;
         link.quoteUrl = link.href;
         link.href = 'javascript:;';
         link.eventListener = this.quote.bind(this, link);
         link.addEventListener('click', link.eventListener, false);
      }
   },

quote: function(link) {
      var postbody = this.findAncestorByClass(link, 'postbody');

link.removeEventListener('click', link.eventListener);
      link.eventListener = this.hideReplyArea.bind(this, link, postbody);

var req = new XMLHttpRequest();
      req.addEventListener('load', this.addQuote.bind(this, req, link));
      /* RPM 2013-10-27: Make a synchronous request (3rd argument false) so that
       * the text being quoted will be stored in this.quotes[num].quote by
       * addQuote, so that in turn it is available to makeReplyArea. */
      req.open('get', link.quoteUrl, false);
      req.send();
      link.style.backgroundImage = 'url("'+GM_getResourceURL('quote_waiting')+'")';

this.makeReplyArea(postbody);
   },

addQuote: function(req, link) {
      var areaPos = req.responseText.indexOf('<textarea name="message" id="message"');
      var beg = req.responseText.indexOf('[quote', areaPos)
      var end = req.responseText.indexOf('</textarea>', beg);
      var str = req.responseText.substring(beg, end);

var num = link.quoteUrl.match(/&p=(\d+)/)[1];

if(typeof this.quotes[num] == 'undefined') {
         this.quotes[num] = {};
      }

this.quotes[num].quote = str;

GM_setValue('quotes', JSON.stringify(this.quotes));
      link.style.backgroundImage = 'url("'+GM_getResourceURL('quote_ok')+'")';
   },

makeReplyArea: function(div) {
      var post = this.findAncestorByClass(div, 'post');
      var pId = post.id.substr(1);

var container = document.createElement('div');

var preDiv = document.createElement('div');
      preDiv.appendChild(document.createTextNode('Reply:'));
      preDiv.style.marginTop = '10px';
      preDiv.style.fontSize = '1.3em';

var area = document.createElement('textarea');
      area.className = 'multiquote-reply';
      /* RPM 2013-10-27: Fill the reply with the quote-text, so that the user
       * can remove unwanted text right away */
      area.value = this.quotes[pId].quote.replace(/&quot;/gmi, '"')
        .replace(/&#58;/g,':').replace(/&#46;/g,'.');
      area.style.width = '100%';
      area.style.height = '300px'; /* 100px is Waaaaayyyy too small! */
      area.style.fontSize = '1.2em';

var butDiv = document.createElement('div');
      butDiv.style.textAlign = 'right';
      var but = document.createElement('input');
      but.type = 'button';
      but.value = 'Save';
      but.style.fontWeight = 'bold';
      but.addEventListener('click', this.addReply.bind(this, area, pId, but));
      butDiv.appendChild(but);

area.addEventListener('keypress', this.onAreaChange.bind(this, area, but));

container.appendChild(preDiv);
      container.appendChild(area);
      container.appendChild(butDiv);

div.appendChild(container);
   },

showReplyArea: function(link, div) {
      div.lastChild.style.display = '';

link.eventListener = this.hideReplyArea.bind(this, link, div);
   },

hideReplyArea: function(link, div) {
      div.lastChild.style.display = 'none';

link.eventListener = this.showReplyArea.bind(this, link, div);
   },

onAreaChange: function(area, but) {
      but.value = 'Save';
      but.disabled = false;
   },

/* addReply is called when the user clicks the "Save" button;
    * it saves the contents of the textarea into this.quotes[num].reply
    * note that 'num' is eqivalent to 'pId' seen in makeReplyArea */
   addReply: function(area, num, but) {
      if(typeof this.quotes[num] == 'undefined') {
         this.quotes[num] = {}; // This is *absolutely* thread-safe :D
      }

this.quotes[num].reply = area.value;
      /* Save the user's work in a way that will persist across page loads.
       * see http://wiki.greasespot.net/GM_setValue */
      GM_setValue('quotes', JSON.stringify(this.quotes));

but.value = 'Saved';
      but.disabled = true;
   },

dumpQuotes: function() {
      this.init();

var tmpDiv = document.createElement('div');
      tmpDiv.innerHTML = this.aggregateQuotes();
      var str = tmpDiv.firstChild.data;

var area = document.getElementById('message');
      area.value += str;

var postButton = document.getElementsByName('post')[0];
      var previewButton = document.getElementsByName('preview')[0];
      var saveButton = document.getElementsByName('save')[0];
      postButton.addEventListener('click', this.flush.bind(this));
      previewButton.addEventListener('click', this.flush.bind(this));
      saveButton.addEventListener('click', this.flush.bind(this));
   },

flush: function() {
      this.quotes = {};
      GM_deleteValue('quotes');
   },

aggregateQuotes: function() {
      var s = '';
      var i;
      for(i in this.quotes) {
         if(s != '')
            s += "\n\n";

/* RPM 2013-10-27: Since we now put the quote text into the reply
          * we n longer want to add it here. */
         /* s += this.quotes[i].quote; */

if(this.quotes[i].reply)
            s += "\n" + this.quotes[i].reply;
      }

return s;
   },

findAncestorByClass: function(elem, className) {
      if(new RegExp('\\b'+className+'\\b').test(elem.className))
         return elem;
      else {
         if(elem != document.body)
            return this.findAncestorByClass(elem.parentNode, className);
         return null;
      }
   }
};

if(location.href.indexOf('viewtopic') != -1)
   window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', multiquote.convert.bind(multiquote));
if(location.href.indexOf('posting') != -1 && location.href.indexOf('mode=edit') == -1)
   window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', multiquote.dumpQuotes.bind(multiquote));

. . . and now,

Well, actually a whole new category (again :roll: I seem to love pushing the envelope that way)

ᐅ ᐅ ᐅ Reverse OTTification ᐊ ᐊ ᐊ

It's fun to try to reverse-engineer the Othercomic from the OTTifications. The previous one (1282) would have been easy, because it got OTTified three times within a dix.

For the last few Othercomics, I've been learning about the existence of the Othercomic by seeing its OTTification. As I was testing the Multi-Quote changes, I saw the first 1283 OTTification (by Eternal Density, NP1573). So I decided to try something new: Reverse OTTification : creating the original OtherComic using OTTifications as the guide. Here's my first attempt:

I comad, and in the morning looked at the wiki activity again, something I do on a regular basis. I found the OTTification by Waveney, NP1574 which gave a clearer idea of what the original xkcd was. (For example, mustard on the "W" of "WRITTEN" suggests that it was originally "REWRITTEN".) So here's my second attempt (I copied the "RE" from "WRI-" etc.):

As you can see, I couldn't figure out a good headline for some of them, I had trouble guessing which actual news event was involved.

There's also one by BlitzGirl, NP1574, which was 2nd but I noticed it only now. I could go for another draft but I think I'm close enough.

This may not seem very OTT-related, in fact I suppose it might even be heretical to remove the OTTishness from a perfectly good OTTification :roll: but I like the challenge; it's a sort of puzzle. I suppose the need to be able to discuss OtherComics openly means that the OTT will often have spoilers (like this very post!), so this type of puzzle might not be a challenge to OTTers who are fully ketched-up.

Okay, I guess that's it for now! (I'll do a more travelogue-type post later).

-- mrob27

Outside

End Transmission

Spoiler:
unOTT-1283-headlines-try1.png
my first un-OTTification of the xkcd 1283 OTTification by Eternal Density

unOTT-1283-headlines-try2.png
My 2nd un-OTTification of #1283

NP1575 multiquote-edit.png
Editing a quote with mrob27's version of Multi-Quote

Edits: Spoiler the screen shot (which is big and also confusing at least in my browser!) and clarify the description. Restore tabs in the Javascript. "This last" -> "The previous". BlitzGirl's 1283 wasn't the 3rd.
Last edited by mrob27 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Thanks for all the comments again! *off to find that list of unOTTified comics again*

Do I officially own NP 1572, then?
Yes.

*wee* You're off to do more? I've updated/regenerated the list on NP1570.

Pre-post edit: ah, already done, eh? Yeah... I'll add those to the edit later. :P

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Yay!

*Madly OTTifying*

And I've done it again.

Redundant
Spoiler:
Raptorcat (xkcd 758).png
Raptorcat (xkcd 758).png (37.76 KiB) Viewed 11306 times
Seeking Rainbows

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

I forgot to say that I'm loving the new Beanie ONGs and TheMinim's OTThercomic mania. And now there's another great mrob post. I'm excited to try that updated multiquote script.

Um, I think there was something else I was going to comment on. Well, it was treeish, whatever it was.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Anti-OTTifications? I completely un-hate this idea! Awfulsome work mrob.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

TRAINONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

More of the OTTercomic mania with Number 18 and 670:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Snapple (xkcd 18).png
Amps (xkcd 670).png
Seeking Rainbows

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

HES wrote:Anti-OTTifications? I completely un-hate this idea! Awfulsome work mrob.

Oh yeah, I think that's what I was going to say. Well, something like it, anyway.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

One more OTTification before I molpy down.

Redundantly redundant
Spoiler:
Avoidance (xkcd 615).png
Seeking Rainbows

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And yappo, I have that exact same thing happen to me. I just get overwhelmed, can't decide where to start, and so don't do anything. Not very productive.
This feeling can be very debilitating. I kept thinking I should respond when I saw CD and yappo and others... so, yeah, it even occurs with simple commentary. I'll respond now before it's too late. ;) A few revealing secrets:
  • I worked on my ottification of "Play With Me" for many many weeks with a huge break in the middle. But sometimes this action of delay helps bring about a better product.
  • I attempted to create a USD comique the week after I suggested it. It didn't quite work out, then I didn't try again for 2 weeks. It worked out well enough, but now each Thursday I procrastinate and hope my product is of good enough quality.
  • I've been working on an upgrade to the code that shall not be named (in sig) and it's been going semi-slow partly because of the overwhelming nature of how each change I make reveals more changes to make. This is sorta why I've actually increased my output with OdeTiTies. lol

AluisioASG

Re: Chronogram from mrob27 (NP656)

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:For the last few Othercomics, I've been learning about the existence of the Othercomic by seeing its OTTification. As I was testing the Multi-Quote changes, I saw the first 1283 OTTification (by Eternal Density, NP1573). So I decided to try something new: Reverse OTTification : creating the original OtherComic using OTTifications as the guide.

Do you realize what you're doing?
You're about to import the whole subforum inside this thread!!!

lmjb1964 wrote:And yappo, I have that exact same thing happen to me. I just get overwhelmed, can't decide where to start, and so don't do anything. Not very productive.

I should be working on an uni project. There are lots of decisions to make. So I'm about to do what everyone else seems to be doing: watch a BTTF marathon.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

azule wrote:
This feeling can be very debilitating. I kept thinking I should respond when I saw CD and yappo and others... so, yeah, it even occurs with simple commentary. I'll respond now before it's too late. ;) A few revealing secrets:
  • I worked on my ottification of "Play With Me" for many many weeks with a huge break in the middle. But sometimes this action of delay helps bring about a better product.
  • I attempted to create a USD comique the week after I suggested it. It didn't quite work out, then I didn't try again for 2 weeks. It worked out well enough, but now each Thursday I procrastinate and hope my product is of good enough quality.
  • I've been working on an upgrade to the code that shall not be named (in sig) and it's been going semi-slow partly because of the overwhelming nature of how each change I make reveals more changes to make. This is sorta why I've actually increased my output with OdeTiTies. lol

So, we're all in the same raftcastle. I can't wait to see the upgrades to your code that shall not be named. No pressure, though. :D

AluisioASG wrote:

I should be working on an uni project. There are lots of decisions to make. So I'm about to do what everyone else seems to be doing: watch a BTTF marathon.

Brilliant plan!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

woo BTTF Marathon! Excellent plan

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Nice one, TheMinim! Here's some more: (hmm I seem to be importing the whole subforum into this post)
(and http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/3033)

redundant and alttext
Spoiler:
othercar.png
I doubt she even knows what a 'car' is.
othercar.png (24.78 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
jacket.png
m*stard!
mass.png
the river is small
golf.png
GHG doesn't like OTTers
paths.png
Oh, she's finding a new thwapstick
natlang.png
Beyond 12000

I've got one more in progress but it'll take a bit longer.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

More treeish ottifications by Minim and ED! :mrgreen:

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Halloween preparations? Do you mean preparations such as prepping an entire army of undead molpies?

Eh, I don't know. That seems like a lot of work. First you have to gather all the molpies, then you have to make them dead, then you have to make them undead...

Unless you find some that are already dead. Check your local biology lab, or along a nearby highway.

Ewww. I think I'll just make do with live ones after all. ImageImageImageImageImage

mrob27 wrote:There's also a third one by BlitzGirl, NP1574, which didn't make the wiki though I notice it now. I could go for a 3rd draft but I think I'm close enough.

This may not seem very OTT-related, in fact I suppose it might even be heretical to remove the OTTishness from a perfectly good OTTification :roll: but I like the challenge; it's a sort of puzzle. I suppose the need to be able to discuss OtherComics openly means that the OTT will often have spoilers (like this very post!), so this type of puzzle might not be a challenge to OTTers who are fully ketched-up.

Mine was actually on the wiki first, but I think it would help you even less than the other two when it comes to reconstructing the original.

Oh, and *pelts mrob with small candies*. :)
Now who's going to re-OTTify the un-OTTifying that mrob did?

AluisioASG wrote:I should be working on an uni project. There are lots of decisions to make. So I'm about to do what everyone else seems to be doing: watch a BTTF marathon.

Yes. Always worth your Time! :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

More of a hotdoggification

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

redundant:
Spoiler:
ONGtime.png
Thanks BlitzGirl and ChronosDragon for the artwork

ChronosDragon

Re: More of a hotdoggification

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:

redundant:
Spoiler:
ONGtime.png

Good ol' Newpix-O-Meter! Speaking of which, the one in my sig is now just sadly ticking around, not counting down anything in particular. I'd like to take a poll: should I exchange it for some newfangled piece of forum technology (yet to be determined), retrofit it with date functionality or other fancy gadgets/features, or leave it how it is? (Note that the third option could also include some new graphics, as I've got changes I've wanted to make to it for a while that I never got around to).

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:47 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Good ol' Newpix-O-Meter! Speaking of which, the one in my sig is now just sadly ticking around, not counting down anything in particular. I'd like to take a poll: should I exchange it for some newfangled piece of forum technology (yet to be determined), retrofit it with date functionality or other fancy gadgets/features, or leave it how it is? (Note that the third option could also include some new graphics, as I've got changes I've wanted to make to it for a while that I never got around to).

You could list the postcounts of OTTers who are on or near a Nice Round Number. Cake-O-Meter!

AluisioASG

Re: More of a hotdoggification

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Good ol' Newpix-O-Meter! Speaking of which, the one in my sig is now just sadly ticking around, not counting down anything in particular. I'd like to take a poll: should I exchange it for some newfangled piece of forum technology (yet to be determined), retrofit it with date functionality or other fancy gadgets/features, or leave it how it is?

longpix = 2 * newpix
wavepix = 4 * longpix

ChronosDragon wrote:I've got changes I've wanted to make to it for a while that I never got around to).

Have you already determined how urgent this is?

Eternal Density wrote:You could list the postcounts of OTTers who are on or near a Nice Round Number. Cake-O-Meter!

What reminds me Cake Time isn't working. I'll fix that once I return the DeLorean.

@Cortexifans: I've located the first Observer.
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

Time Travel makes me Tense

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:15 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote: I'll fix that once I return the DeLorean.

I would have been thinking we won't have been going to discuss that yet.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

I found a subreddit dedicated to OTTer antics. Productivity for the rest of the day has gone.

/r/ch*rpottersdo

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:

Whee! That's a fun one! :D (My favorite part is Rosetta pushing the cart of Panther Salve.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:01 am UTC

COMAISCALLONG...

Is that a leash Rosetta is holding? That must be a seaish molpy! :shock:

Lots of new ottifications! Special mention to #800 by TheMinim!

BlitzGirl wrote:Now who's going to re-OTTify the un-OTTifying that mrob did?

Maybe one of our loopists?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:09 am UTC

oh drat I said I was to do something original today. And procrastanation is hardly original.
wait for it...
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

previous number minus one

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:21 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:COMAISCALLONG...
Spoiler:

Iiinteresting.
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:

Whee! That's a fun one! :D (My favorite part is Rosetta pushing the cart of Panther Salve.)
Thanks, I rather like that too. Though now that I look at it, I think she should be a bit more seaish to fit the perspective.
ETA like this:
Spoiler:
ONGtime.png
No, Rosetta is not Expando

Bonus puzzle: identify all the icons!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:COMAISCALLONG...
Spoiler:

Iiinteresting.

Raptorcats count as seaish molpies, right?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Seaish Hotdog Update:

## 2.7
- Mould Spelling
- Fixed: crashes on some notifications because I missed the "Molpy."
- Spending finite sand/castles when you have infinite of the same, does not notify
- Glass Monument making
- Badgers wasn't actually implemented
- RRR with GP now gives chips also
- Nerfed a tool
- Suppress low sand spent notifications
- Expando boost! For showing descriptions.
- Also includes a song
- Boosts songs are now accessible after buying as well as before
- Only one free redacted from playing a song before purchase (unless you can't afford it)
- A couple of index changes: index and otthercomic

I'm excited!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 am UTC

I bought Expando and activated and got this error (v 2.7):

Something went wrong in Molpy.Draw(): TypeError: g(...) is null

@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:2132
Molpy.Up/Molpy.TickHover@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:4326
Molpy.Up/Molpy.Draw@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:4239
Molpy.Up/Molpy.Loopist@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:4439

AluisioASG

My memory is broken

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Sometimes, when I reload the page, Firefox moves the pageview up, showing me posts I've already read. Déjà vu ensues.

ChronosDragon wrote:castle.js?v=1:2132
castle.js?v=1:4326
castle.js?v=1:4239
castle.js?v=1:4439

I hope these aren't version numbers.

@lmjb1964: did the icons in your dream's map blink? I may need to balance that with the grouping feature.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I bought Expando and activated and got this error (v 2.7):

Something went wrong in Molpy.Draw(): TypeError: g(...) is null

@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:2132
Molpy.Up/Molpy.TickHover@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:4326
Molpy.Up/Molpy.Draw@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:4239
Molpy.Up/Molpy.Loopist@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:4439

oooh, I know what I did wrong! It's trying to show a tool that isn't yet unlocked. Easy fix...

BlitzGirl

Just noticed ED's new countdown.

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Sometimes, when I reload the page, Firefox moves the pageview up, showing me posts I've already read. Déjà vu ensues.

Déjà vu is a common problem when traveling through Time (or its thread). :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”