1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Shock

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:16 am UTC

Uristqwerty wrote:I just found /r/incremental_games/, and then, as a result, /r/SandcastleBuilder/. SB seems to be quite popular outside of this thread.

Oh. Why didn't I know about this?

Maybe that's why I have a Github troll problem?

ETA how?

Hotdog Vendor Decree: be molpish to one another.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:49 am UTC

Holy ch*rp, I didn't realize SB was so popular, ED. Congrats!

(Maybe you need a trollsaw to handle your trolls...)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:57 am UTC

Wow, epsilon that such a niche, in-joke-packed thing has found an audience outside of here!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:00 am UTC

It's funny to see them using our lingo and clicking the newpix, going, "WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?!"

Oh, and they tried to start a wiki but didn't get very far (yet): http://sandcastlebuilder.wikia.com/wiki ... ilder_Wiki
There's a ch*rp of a lot of SB info in that subreddit, I must say.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 am UTC

Hehe, BlitzGirl, I read your Drawception description and didn't even notice it said "meowlpy" instead of cat until I looked a second time... I'd say I've been OTTing too much, but that would be heresy.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Hehe, BlitzGirl, I read your Drawception description and didn't even notice it said "meowlpy" instead of cat until I looked a second time... I'd say I've been OTTing too much, but that would be heresy.

We don't want heresy, oh no. :wink:

For other OTTers, this was the image I was given to describe:
Spoiler:
which totally looks like a molpy, right? Except meowing. Hence, meowlpy. :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Hehe, BlitzGirl, I read your Drawception description and didn't even notice it said "meowlpy" instead of cat until I looked a second time... I'd say I've been OTTing too much, but that would be heresy.

We don't want heresy, oh no. :wink:

For other OTTers, this was the image I was given to describe:
Spoiler:
which totally looks like a molpy, right? Except meowing. Hence, meowlpy. :D

Meowpy Cyrus?
Okay so I'm about to push out 3.01...

ETA aaand done!

Code: Select all

## 3.01
- Shopping donkey doesn't buy if no item (i.e. prevent crash.)
- Logicat's "correct answers needed" display now accounts for Panther Rush
- Bunch of new NP-based badges, by waveney (cos I was taking too long getting around to adding them)
- Fixxed some typoes
- Safety Goggles prevents Safety Hat unlock
- Glass Saw doesn't competely fill glass block storage (another waveney idea)
- Pluralisation (i.e. conditional 's') finally moved to a function. Please report any resulting/remaining pluralisation errors. Once. ;)
- CMS description clarified (I hope) a little.
- Added a new link to the index: something which I only just discovered exists :P
- Shorten Not Lucky message after np400
- Added an ONG countdown timer. For free!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Re: ...

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Okay so I'm about to push out 3.01...

Now we OTTers get to feel like privileged insiders when it comes to SB. At least when compared to OtherSBers. :)
Baobabs, look at all the new stuff! Thank you!

Eternal Density wrote:Meowpy Cyrus?

I would punsaw you, but that urge has been dulled by my Drawception overload. It's like Meme City over there. Everything from doges to Dolan to Hello this is dog, trollface to twerking to wrecking ball. And all in very vivid colors. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Re: Shock

Postby taixzo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Uristqwerty wrote:I just found /r/incremental_games/, and then, as a result, /r/SandcastleBuilder/. SB seems to be quite popular outside of this thread.

Oh. Why didn't I know about this?

Maybe that's why I have a Github troll problem?

ETA how?

Hotdog Vendor Decree: be molpish to one another.

Interesting, on that page I just found this introduction to the game by someone who does not seem to be an OTTer: http://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/1q66p8/a_newbies_guide_on_how_to_play_sandcastle_builder/
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

Time-Capsule from Newpage 724

Postby mrob27 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Time-Capsule from mrob27 and Timborme
Deposited NP724 - Do not open until NP1616

Hi, it's Timborme! After some adventures in the TARDIS many Newpages ago, involving C**kies, inadvertent and deliberate loopy time-travel, and armies of uhhh... cute little green slugmolpies, things finally got back to "normal" around here, which is to say, "completely batmolpy-mustard insane" :D !

: ⁖ ⁘ ⁙ Excerpt From the Time-Travel Journal of Timborme ⁙ ⁘ ⁖ :

NP711 - NP724

Our Cuegan have decided to continue up towards the mountains, and they're gathering food and water to prepare for the next leg of the trip. There was a cute (if not entirely wise) attempt by Megan to feed the squirpy, and the appearance of the ominous molpython.
     @BlitzGirl seems to have a mind-link to Megan, perhaps leftover from her visit to the OTC.
     Creation of Tarot cards has begun, such as The Hanged Bot representing poor little NewPixBot's frustration after being "teased" (ninja'd by a mere millinewpix or two) by humans.
     We passed another halfway mark: Newpage 713 is halfway to where mrob27 was when he started reading the OTT at the beginning.
     And there was a lot of discussion of "off-topic-ness" and whether it's even appropriate to talk about off-topicness, and feelings that people might be over-assertive in their statements of opinion. This eventually led to a brilliant song from @BlitzGirl and a brilliant non-standard from @Kieryn. mrob uses these as inspiration for some comics, below.

: ⁖ ⁘ ⁙ Correspondence ⁙ ⁘ ⁖ :

mrob27 here. I haven't done much with the multi-quote script but I have a new script that opens all spoilers. After this post, @AluisioASG and I have been PM'ing back and forth about it, and I thank him for the JavaScript help. Regarding @Pikrass, we've been communicating via PM about how to smooth off the rough edges on my Multi-Quote changes, and how to use github to develop TamperMonkey scripts -- recentmost message was about 10 [heresy]days[/heresy] ago.
     Regarding quto-scrolling spoilers, I realized I'm actually in the (presumably small) group of OTTers who would like all spoilers to be open all the time, so I made my own script to do that (link to GitHub, will not actually run the script): spoiler-opener.user.js Around line 7 you'll see "@downloadURL" and a URL starting with "http;//mrob.com" and ending with "spoiler-opener.user.js". If you have GreaseMonkey or TamperMonkey you could install the script by visiting that URL.
     I don't think too many OTTers will want to use it. I open all spoilers, change their background to a sort of lavender, and change the label "Spoiler:" to a measurement of the pixel height of the spoilered region. After about 3 millinewpix it runs a second time, fixing the measurement of images (which my browser somehow refuses to measure for me the first time):
    Ironic:
Spoiler:
The "18px" changes to a more accurate "126px" after a few millinewpix
The script runs when composing posts too because I typically proofread a post about 27 times and I get tired of re-opening my own spoilers!

@yappobiscuits, congratulations, you found the Timborme secret! Your (future) reward will be another hidden backwards message. Perhaps @balthasar_s, @lmjb1964, @HES, and @ggh will help you spot it. I think I'll use the Led Zeppelin Judas Priest / Jay-Z technique.
     Indeed, Timborme is a pen-name or alter-ego, created here on NP1453 and the name is simply an allusion to my time-travel Blitzing: "mrob backwards in Time" : Timborme. It's convenient to have another, more fictional, character who can do things like engage in religious disputes with the (extinct?) TimeWatchers or challenge the Inquisition. I also remember noticing that 'borm' is easier to pronounce than 'mrob' and is one syllable shorter (possibly useful in palindrome haiku?). The rot13 of 'mrob' is 'zebo'; there aren't many 'zebo' mentions in the OTT but I'm thrilled that Eric's gazebo is one of them.

@Kieryn points out the mouseover text revealing many more newwords in his index than I had seen -- thank you. Your index inspired mine :) I was wondering if this sort of visualization is still available:
If not, that's okay, but it's pretty cool and I only recently found it in my Blitz.

: ⁖ ⁘ ⁙ Newwords! (and the fightclub) ⁙ ⁘ ⁖ :

In case I didn't say it, I'm glad you like the mr*bdex (which I'll call "the fightclub" just because) and found it useful.

@yappobiscuits raised a question about the newword "molpish", and @lmjb1964 ninja'd my response quite well: @mscha started that word on NP731. I'll add that I was the first to use "molpier", which I defined as "warmer, fuzzier and gooder", hence "better".

@Eternal Density pointed out (and reminded me) that many subject lines (such as Hotdog changelogs) contain something other than the standard "Re: 1190: 'Time'". Indeed, I also often set the subject line to something specific or interesting.
     @azule suggested (appropriately enough, in a subject line):
In the subject line of OTT:1608:6, azule wrote:The mrobdex could count all titles not containing a "Re: "

This is brilliant, I'm a little ashamed of the more complicated solution I was thinking of. So I did a scan through the OTT and noticed that subject lines without "Re: " became very popular beginning on NP896:
In the subject line of the Pope of NP896, Eternal Density: wrote: I decree that people leave secret messages in the subject!

So, I'm counting contents of subject lines if it doesn't begin with "Re: " as per @azule's suggestion, and the fightclub now lists a few more newwords. Some recent examples: In some cases, such as timeventure and onclick, the newwords are merely getting reported at an earlier nopix because they appeared in a subject line before appearing in the body of a message.
     I also have a few extra word-lists that I've built up manually: Outsider words with stress (accenting) data, Outsider words without stress data, and OTTish words with stress data. I've just started using the second of these to eliminate some of the Outsider 'newwords' like "deconstructed" mentioned above. So many Outsider words no longer appear in the fightclub, recent examples:
A bigger issue (because more text is involved) is that I still am not counting quotes that are not really quotes. See @ucim's Acts of the Clerics for examples. @Kieryn used complex algorithms to detect when someone is quoted and bits are changed (like the typical FTFY reply) but I don't have the energy to get that sophisticated. It should be easy to catch most of the "not-really-quotes". I already scan and build up a list of usernames, and it knows for example that no posts by "mrob27" appear until partway down NP1412. My plan is to count a quote as normal (non-quoted text) if the "foo bar" in the title "foo bar wrote:" is not a username of someone who has posted yet, and if it's not inside another (normal) quote block. In this case I guess the text "foo bar" itself should also be counted. I need to think a bit more about the actual implementation.

So now for something a little more fun...

I've gone full-circle back to my original habit of selecting an Othercomic related to whatever I'm blitzing, in this case the early NP700's. Oh, and, ... you might notice some common themes here... coma? What's that?

Based on #776, spoiler-free for Newpage 718 or later:

STILL NO COMA
Title text: Don't Worry. Feed Squirpys.

(note that #776 was previously OTTified by Eternal Density)

... and based on #622, spoiler-free for Newpage 723 or later:

HAIKUABRA NI
Title text: After around 40 consecutive ONGs, there's no sane
reason to post anything. Just blitz it for the hallucinations.

@Eternal Density OTTified #1289 and mentioned, "I hope mrob27 gets to retro-ottify this, but I'm worried since the original is posted in the clear above." I think you mean "un-OTTify", the term I used to refer to the challenge of reconstructing the original from the OTTification. As @lmjb1964 pointed out, I decided to stop, for a while at least. It's a great challenge -- and I encourage others to try to figure out what Randall originally drew based only on the OTTifications posted here -- and I get that I shouldn't be too worried about being off-topic. But it was kinda slowing down my blitzing... and besides, to un-OTTify this I'd have to remove my hat -- and I like my hat Image.

... and wow! I'm in a comic! I'm honored, @balthasar_s, thanks!

: ⁖ ⁘ ⁙ Chronogram Ends ⁙ ⁘ ⁖ :

Spoiler:
20131113.1751-a-reload.png
Effect of spoiler-opener script on a page reload

20131113.1751-b-after-back-fwd.png
After another few millinewpix (correct pixel height "126px")

NP706 Kieryn api sample.png
A graphical representation of the OTT by Kieryn, ca. Newpage 706

retrott-0776-still-no-coma.png
Don't Worry. Feed Squirpys. (version 1)

retrott-0776-still-no-coma-v2.png
Don't Worry. Feed Squirpys. (version 2) New, improved -- now with leopard and ONG!

retrott-0622-haikuabra-ni-ni.png
After around 40 consecutive ONGs, there's no sane reason to post anything. Just blitz it for the hallucinations.

Edit: I forgot the ONG! and the leopard.
Last edited by mrob27 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Eternal Density

Becking Wrall

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Oops I kinda forgot the term un-ottify and misused retro-OTTify. Meowlpy Cyrus wasn't meant as a pun, just a portmanteau.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Then it's acceptable. :)

mrob, both of those OTTercomics are wowterful! Image I especially like the second one, and not just because I'm in it. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:And you can put me down for the position as OTTer biologist, although I don't know much about otters. But if you need someone who is good at looking at antmolpies, I might help you out!

Well, I actually was an otter biologist once in a past life but that was a long time ago.

Otters, sea elemolpys - that's quite a list4 of study systems! I downloaded your paper, and I'll read it when I find the time.

Treeish OTThercomics, mrob27!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Gah! I've got mustard for brains!

Postby ggh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

I thought I was stuck filling a glass mold of 832, but it was in fact 487, which explains why it was possible. I was so excited about the prospect of having a glass monument, that I decided to make a glass monument... the wrong one.
Chirp.
Too late to fix it now. So, here's 832. Grumble, grumble, yawn, zzzzzz.
Truly redundant:
Spoiler:
glassMonument832.jpg
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Time has ended.
I reject the fact that Time has ended.

This is the story of a fox molpy-hunt.
This is how I felt when Time ended.

There are a lot of words.
Please read them all.
You don't need to know the place names.
You don't need to understand the words.
Please read all the words.

Please.

Spoiler:
Reynard's Last Run

Like a hound for stay, like a stag for swift,
With his shadow beside like spinning drift.
Past the gibbet-stock all stuck with nails,
Where they hanged in chains what had hung at jails,
Past Ashmundshowe where Ashmund sleeps,
And none but the tumbling peewit weeps,
Past Curlew Calling, the gaunt grey corner
Where the curlew comes as a summer mourner,
Past Blowbury Beacon shaking his fleece,
Where all winds hurry and none brings peace,
Then down, on the mile-long green decline
Where the turf's like spring and the air's like wine,
Where the sweeping spurs of the downland spill
Into Wan Brook Valley and Wan Dyke Hill.

On he went with a galloping rally
Past Maesbury Clump for Wan Brook Valley,
The blood in his veins went romping high
"Get on, on, on to the earth or die."
The air of the downs went purely past,
Till he felt the glory of going fast,
Till the terror of death, though there indeed,
Was lulled for a while by his pride of speed;
He was romping away from hounds and hunt,
He had Wan Dyke Hill and his earth in front,
In a one mile more when his point was made,
He would rest in safety from dog or spade;
Nose between paws he would hear the shout
Of the "gone to earth" to the hounds without,
The whine of the hounds, and their friend Catherine feet gadding,
Scratching the earth, and their breath pad­ padding,
He would hear the horn call hounds away,
And rest in peace till another day.

In one mile more he would lie at rest
So for one mile more he would go his best.
He reached the dip at the long droop's end
And he took what speed he had still to spend.
So down past Maesbury beech clump grey,
That would not be green till the end of May,
Past Arthur's Table, the white chalk boulder,
Where pasque flowers purple the down's grey shoulder
Past Quichelm's Keeping, past Harry's Thorn
To Thirty Acre all thin with corn.
As he raced the corn towards Wan Dyke Brook,
The pack had view of the way he took,
Robin hallooed from the downland's crest,
He capped them on till they did their best.
The quarter mile to the Wan Brook's brink
Was raced as quick as a man can think.

And here, as he ran to the huntsman's yell­ing,
The fox first felt that the pace was telling,
His body and lungs seemed all grown old,
His legs less certain, his heart less bold,
The hound-noise nearer, the hill slope steeper,
The thud in the blood of his body deeper,
His pride in his speed, his joy in the race
Were withered away, for what use was pace?
He had run his best, and the hounds ran better.
Then the going worsened, the earth was wetter.
Then his brush drooped down till it sometimes dragged,
And his fur felt sick and his chest was tagged
With taggles of mud, and his pads seemed lead,
It was well for him he'd an earth ahead.

Down he went to the brook and over,
Out of the corn and into the clover,
Over the slope that the Wan Brook drains,
Past Battle Tump where they earthed the Danes,
Then up the hill that the Wan Dyke rings
Where the Sarsen Stones stand grand like kings.
Seven Sarsens of granite grim,
As he ran them by they looked at him;
As he leaped the lip of their earthen paling
The hounds were gaining and he was failing.
He passed the Sarsens, he left the spur,
He pressed up hill to the blasted fir,
He slipped as he leaped the hedge; he slithered;
"He's mine," thought Robin. "He's done; he's dithered."

_At the second attempt he cleared the fence,
He turned half right where the gorse was dense,
He was leading hounds by a furlong clear.
He was past his best, but his earth was near.
He ran up gorse, to the spring of the ramp,
The steep green wall of the dead men's camp,
He sidled up it and scampered down
To the deep green ditch of the dead men's town.
Within, as he reached that soft green turf,
The wind, blowing lonely, moaned like surf,
Desolate ramparts rose up steep,
On either side, for the ghosts to keep.
He raced the trench, past the rabbit warren,
Close grown with moss which the wind made barren,
He passed the spring where the rushes spread,
And there in the stones was his earth ahead.
One last short burst upon failing feet,
There life lay waiting, so sweet, so sweet,
Rest in a darkness, balm for aches.

Spoiler:
The earth was stopped. It was barred with stakes.

This was read to me about sixty years ago.
I cried.
There are tears in my eyes now.
This is how I felt then.
This is how I feel now.
This is how I felt when Time ended.
This is how I feel now.

Spoiler:
You are all my friends.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Double post be damned.
I want a hug.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

*Hugs MistyCat*
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

Aww, poor MistyCat :(
Spoiler:

ggh's wingish glass sculpture would be perfect for our OTT island!

Eternal Density

Molpy Down

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

All I have to offer MistyCat is icecream cake:
Spoiler:
ETA seaishness tags

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

*brings more ice cream for MistyCat*
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

HES wrote:Papal decree: go and do something on your to-do list. if you don't have one, write one!

1. Make list
  2. Speculate
  3. Molpify
  4. Watch a YouTube video that a friend thought I'd like
  5. Watch more...
  6. Write this post
'Procrastinate' should be in there, but I can't decide where to put it.

Waveney wrote:Some things for you to discuss:
1) Where are they? (I know and there will be some clues in chapter 3 – but speculate away)
2) Why did they set sail?

1: Molpinland
2: Megan is a seaish fan of Amtoo & The Beanies, so she has invited them to play several concerts at The Grapevine (and several otter fine establishments in the colony) as part of the tour for their new album

Spoiler:
Sheeple.gif
WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!
Sheeple.gif (19.72 KiB) Viewed 19201 times

Made by combining Wake Up Sheeple, Rock Band and the last Wavepic

A molpification I made last night, based on this image that ED found.
Spoiler:

@MistyCat thanks for the flutterbeewingish poem, hope you're feeling better soon. Just remember, time goes on, even when Time ends; and there will always be more Time after Time
Last edited by StormAngel on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

*Hugs MistyCat*
We all fell like that when Time ***ed.

HES

Re: Shock

Postby HES » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Oh. Why didn't I know about this? ...

Interesting, on that page I just found this introduction to the game by someone who does not seem to be an OTTer: http://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/1q66p8/a_newbies_guide_on_how_to_play_sandcastle_builder/
BlitzGirl wrote:It's funny to see them using our lingo and clicking the newpix, going, "WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?!"
yappobiscuits wrote:Wow, epsilon that such a niche, in-joke-packed thing has found an audience outside of here!

That's so bizarre. Just goes to show how little context internetters need to latch on to anything. Congrats to ED, though whether you wanted an outside audience I'm not sure...
I guess this is like how that portal map I made a while back ended up in the top 10 for a couple of wips. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

Also, mrob said some stuff and there were some treeish otthercomics, but I'll deal with those when my brain switches on.

For MistyCat: *Hugs*
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

For MistyCat: Hugs, and a happy video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLrtCQx-p8
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Ketchup

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Ah, ketched up!

Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Good one, HES! That bottom word makes me think we need a newword for "of or pertaining to molpies"...

Molpish.

Huh. My timing is impeccable. :P

BlitzGirl wrote:Hope you're feeling better, Earthling!

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Good one, HES! That bottom word makes me think we need a newword for "of or pertaining to molpies"...

Molpish.
But molpish already has a meani- I mean, ni ni ni chupamolpy grapevineball.

Hmm. Molpian? Molptylian? Molpyesque? Molpific?

Molpic. Molpoid. Molpoidal.

And thanks for the well-wishes, everymolpy. Feeling much better than I was on Wednesdip.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

More ice cream for MistyCat. Spoilered for seaishness – there's enough for all of us.
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:Time has ended.
I reject the fact that Time has ended.

*Hugs MistyCat*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Re: 1190: "Jigsaw Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Time for a wipend jigsaw...

198 Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Molpy Up

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Time to start on 3.02..

Eternal Density

Doublepost because weepend :(

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

## 3.02
- Added Upgrade x10 button to Production Control
- Downgrade buttons on Production Control, Automata Control, Sand Refinery, and Glass Chiller are all hidden by No Sell
- But did anyone ever use those apart from accidentally?
- Fix stupid typo (pricePrice) which was messing up the shortcut calculation of infinte castle tool prices and therefore causing higher load times the more castle tools you/I have
- If no Blackprint-construction remains, the Blackprints-needed stat shows the amount needed for Automata Control
- Panther Rush now uses up 5 less Logicat levels, but still unlocks at the same point, meaning when you buy it you can't have less than 5 levels left

Just some small changes. No new big things.
Now breakfast time!
ETA or not

## 3.021
- Was missing a return so the castle tool price calc was still horribly slow
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

waveney

Re: Doublepost because weepend :(

Postby waveney » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:[code]## 3.02
- Fix stupid typo (pricePrice) which was messing up the shortcut calculation of infinte castle tool prices and therefore causing higher load times the more castle tools you/I have

Ed,

You only did half the change for the load time bug. There is a return missing...

Eternal Density

Re: Doublepost because weepend :(

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:[code]## 3.02

Ed,

You only did half the change for the load time bug. There is a return missing...

Yeah. The github notification took a few minutes too long to reach me.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Weekend OTThercomic
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

First, do no harmster

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Treeish HES!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

, with a bit of 360 on the side.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Good Afternoon, dear OTTers

The past few dips have been somewhat puzzling for you and me alike. Why was I retreating back in Time? How did I get those messages to show up on the forums? And why do I now look so handsome? All in good time.

The messages, which you no doubt noticed were transmitted by Chronocorp (Software|Technologies|Industries|Communications), all various names for the same technology company founded, apparently, by an alternate futurepast version of my present self. How exactly that works, I'll explain in just a bit. The last two were of course morse code, and the telegram service that Chronocorp Communications provides conveniently interfaces with their future network communication protocols. Now, though, I've got a hybrid steam/electronic computer with which to access the forums and other online tasks (though it is a bit noisy).

Now, the Time travel. At first I assumed it had to be the work of an outside force. Perhaps paradox energy created by the eventual travels of my draconic cohorts, Dracomax and Aluisio - though the logistics of that don't quite work out, if you think about it too hard, given their travels were in a way caused by mine, but paradoxes rarely make sense. No; once I got to 1893, I was introduced to my alternate futurepast self, who helpfully explained what had begun to occur to me: the travel was of my own intrinsic abilities! He (and I), the founder of Chronocorp Technologies in various ages, universes, and timelines, both discovered our abilities by accident when jumping backwards during sleep. I have not quite worked out yet whether he is actually me or an alternate universe version, but how much of a difference is that, really?

As for why I look so handsome, well, future cameras add 10 pounds (and messy outlines, and slightly different features, and - well, maybe I lost some things in paradox space. Happens all the Time, or so I'm told).

By the way, while I was in 1923, I picked up a little present from Eddie Morton.

I'm a member of the One True Thread
Original by Eddie Morton

Spoiler:
I love a moving comic, one that changes on the hour
I just do love the way it can imbue creative power
I always spend my 'net time where there's molpies, grapes, and ONGs
but like OTTers, I always bring creative juice along!

I'm a OTTer, and an Old One too
Watching the thread in the morning
Ottif-icat-ing songs!
Cue with the moon, and ol' Meg with the sun
Ninja the bot, and you'll miss all the fun
Blitz the thread and OTTers, we will recognize your cred
Become a member of the One True Thread!

The fun it doesn't stop 'til 12 on tragic Saturdip
So we must compensate alone, during the end of wip
Now, something very typical of OTTers on this thread,
I once posted at 2 AM, and five replies were said!

Ottif-icat-ing songs!

I never shall forget the night the Voldeframe was shown
Although I was back in the past, Blitzing, and all alone
I came across a frame that said in letters hard to read
"T** **D!" And all I could think was, I need some icy cream!

Ottif-icat-ing songs!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:It was more "like a molpy" than "of or pertaining to molpies"...

I will concede the point. :D I re-edited my previous edit to refelct that.

Has anyone suggested "molpic" for "of or pertaining to a molpy"? How about "molpiesque"?

BlitzGirl wrote:
Mission: Produce a RELATED game on Drawception. Success!

Seaish image:
Spoiler:

Epic Drawception game! I want to play, but I'm askeered of getting sucked into something else that will distract me...

ED, this is really cool! Congratulations on making a game that people want to play even when they have no idea what's it's about! :D And thanks for linking to that guide for newbies, taixzo. It is interesting to read a description that is written by (presumably) and for non-OTTers. I might start a second game following that guide and see what happens.

Uristqwerty, did you always have a pickaxe in your head and I just now noticed it?

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:And you can put me down for the position as OTTer biologist, although I don't know much about otters. But if you need someone who is good at looking at antmolpies, I might help you out!

Well, I actually was an otter biologist once in a past life but that was a long time ago.

Otters, sea elemolpys - that's quite a list4 of study systems! I downloaded your paper, and I'll read it when I find the time.

Really? That's cool! I should re-read it some time and see if I still know what the heck I was writing about. I know I did some multi-variate statistics using something called Wilkes' lambda, but I'll be ch*rped if I remember what that was now.

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

Wow, treeish and steakish!

Another awesomeful post from mrob, with treeish ottifications and lots of other molpish stuff. : )

And dear MistyCat, we are all your friends! Hugs and ice cream await you in the future!
Spoiler:

And that poem was heart-breaking.

Redundant. Really!
Spoiler:
I told you was redundant. Y U look for kitty?
icecream-05.jpeg

edited to bring different ice cream than Zooman's
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

And while we're on the subject of RELATED Drawception games...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

"Goats are the source of mustard, apparently"
Brilliant.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Ottify The Night
(to the tune of Starry Starry Night)

Ottify the night.
Paint your palate blue and gray.
Do another pix today
with eyes that know how on this we depend.
Shadows on the hills,
Jumping dunes and Megan's spills,
Raptorcats and other thrills;
In colors they live on beyond The End.
Spoiler:
Now I understand
what it is Time says to me.
It's a wowterful insanity
where the Ongs will set them free.
They did not listen; they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Ottify tonight.
Castles framed in sunset rays,
Baobabs again amaze
the Cuegan and the Blitzers coming through.
Drama's overdue.
Lucky leaps and Meg's in pain,
then Rosetta can't explain
that soon their home will be no longer land.

You must understand
It's ok if it's redundant.
depicting Time so that they see!
They did not listen; they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Beanies could not love you,
(but) for home your love was true,
and when no hope was left in sight,
that at home you'd reunite,
you took the maps and ran the whole way through.
And every Ong we Waited -
this world was meant to show us all the
beauty that's in you.

Ottify the night.
Paint the newpix on the wall.
Make it so we'll each recall
these wonders when by life we are beset.
The strangers that you've met
may wonder as you juxtapose
raftcastles on a thorny rose
and never understand what we all know.

Now I think I'll go.
To continue is redundant.
that will truly set them free.
They would not listen - they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will.

eta: sung by lmjb1964 in a post on NP 1627
Jose
Last edited by ucim on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”