1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

For you Beauties!

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

In the spirit of a belated Thanksgiving... sorry it took me so long.

For you lovely folks, 1932:

and thanks, Jose, for the assist!

And now, I've got quite a bit of ketchup to do. But first, lots and lots of coma. :)

redundant:
Spoiler:
wOTTerfall hosted at chirpingmustard - thanks Aluisio!
In case of chirpingmustard mustard, check http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTColor ... rfall2.gif for redundancy.

Edited for better hosting. :)
Last edited by ggh on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

waveney

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Yes Wow!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

that's a wowterful wowterfall.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Truly baobabish!
And happy 500 posts!
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

The otters on the wow go round and round

Postby HES » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

I popped in to tell you about this, in relation to this what-if. Then I saw this:
ggh wrote:In the spirit of a belated Thanksgiving... sorry it took me so long.

Spoiler:

Wow, ggh. wow.

*stares some more*
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Wow, that is amazing, ggh! Did you do them all by hand?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Wow, ggh! And happy 500, too!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:And happy 500, too!

I was so distracted by the wowterfulness that I didn't even notice! Happy RNM, ggh!

He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Wow

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Molpy barely up

Wow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

So I thought I'd share part of my "One True Symphony", the Starry Night portion. Think of it as a preview for the entire piece.

It begins at frame 2380, and continues at a rate of one frame per two seconds (excepting the meteor frames, which all come right in a row) until the end of the night and all stars are gone. I will turn it into a Youtube video when I get the chance, but for now you have to just click through one of the players (Geekwagon is good because it preloads them, but bad because it doesn't display the meteor frames properly).

The mp3 is at http://www.wikiupload.com/62W11TZK2VYWJWE.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Re: No grapevines.

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

ggh: That is the most wowterfulish wowterfall I've ever seen! :mrgreen: (And happy 500!)
Eternal Density wrote:Yappo, I am not:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwphmO ... sp=sharing

I also saw no snakes or seas,

Image Yay, OTTish songs are infiltrating the Outside!

Speaking of OTTish songs, I've finally got myself somewhat out of that pit of procrastination I was in earlier by making a good start on recordings for one of the new BlitzPoemSongs. Wait for it!
taixzo wrote:So I thought I'd share part of my "One True Symphony", the Starry Night portion. Think of it as a preview for the entire piece.

Yay! So very molpish to at last hear something from this! Especially since I can get an idea of what you're going for so that my "One True Soundtrack" is not doing something similar (not that we don't enjoy redundancy...)

And yeah, while treeish, that's entirely different to what I have in mind, which is molpish! Yours is more reminiscent of an old video game, whereas I'm going for something more atmospheric and cinematic. And also, props to you for actually getting something done, as I haven't even started mine yet apart from early planning :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

PLASTERONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Re: For you Beauties!

Postby ergman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

And now, I've got quite a bit of ketchup to do. But first, lots and lots of coma. :)

Wowterful! Treeish! Molpish! All the positive OTTjectives!This is really cool, It's like a fancy OTT credit roll.

taixzo wrote:So I thought I'd share part of my "One True Symphony", the Starry Night portion. Think of it as a preview for the entire piece.

It begins at frame 2380, and continues at a rate of one frame per two seconds (excepting the meteor frames, which all come right in a row) until the end of the night and all stars are gone. I will turn it into a Youtube video when I get the chance, but for now you have to just click through one of the players (Geekwagon is good because it preloads them, but bad because it doesn't display the meteor frames properly).

all the OTTjectives! I'm looking forward to the full thing, and the video addition. Sounds awesome though.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Yum! Cake for breakfast is my favourite! Thank you! And washed down with a big glass of nice words sure is sweet. Cheers! :)

taixzo wrote:Wow, that is amazing, ggh! Did you do them all by hand?
The distortion is procedural, the timing is semi-automatic (needing adjustments), and the avatars were alpha'd individually by hand (and in some cases, like Dracomax - where I wanted to use the original colours, but didn't have that avatar version - modified a bit.) Btw, Dracomax - that was me assuming that your old colours are the more permanent version - if you'd rather I use your current colour scheme, I should be able to do that without much fuss .

I hope I didn't miss anyone who has posted recently. Let me know if I did - I'm worried that I've committed a horrible glaring oversight. Of course, every time I thought I had the timing sorted, someone would delurk or come out of the basement, so that was kinda painful, but also treeish at the same time. Finally I drew the line though; else I'd never have been able to post.

The .gif is big (9mb), so I had to upload it to the wiki and link to that. I'm afraid I didn't do it well - although I put it in the manips section, the image doesn't show up until you click through to it. Hopefully that's not a big problem....

Oh, and, help. While I was typing this, my little girl was mashing and slapping the keys on the lower left of my laptop. Now the whole desktop and everything is too large for the screen and moves whenever I use the trackpad. What happened? How can I make it go back? It's an old MacBook Pro. I'd try the F3 button, but F1-F6 haven't worked since she rubbed cheese into the leopard.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

DrSamCarter

Re: For you Beauties!

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:

"Wow" is apt but understated! Flutterbeewingish. And WOW again, anyway.

And I'm in there. Squeeee!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Yay! So very molpish to at last hear something from this! Especially since I can get an idea of what you're going for so that my "One True Soundtrack" is not doing something similar (not that we don't enjoy redundancy...)

And yeah, while treeish, that's entirely different to what I have in mind, which is molpish! Yours is more reminiscent of an old video game, whereas I'm going for something more atmospheric and cinematic. And also, props to you for actually getting something done, as I haven't even started mine yet apart from early planning :P

Thank you! The night scene does have a good deal more synths than the rest of the piece, to help set the mood I was going for.

And I finally managed to figure out how to turn off the "Ken Burns" effect in iMovie, so here's a video with the frames synced with the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xjJ__gEV9E
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Yum! Cake for breakfast is my favourite! Thank you! And washed down with a big glass of nice words sure is sweet. Cheers! :)

taixzo wrote:Wow, that is amazing, ggh! Did you do them all by hand?
The distortion is procedural, the timing is semi-automatic (needing adjustments), and the avatars were alpha'd individually by hand (and in some cases, like Dracomax - where I wanted to use the original colours, but didn't have that avatar version - modified a bit.) Btw, Dracomax - that was me assuming that your old colours are the more permanent version - if you'd rather I use your current colour scheme, I should be able to do that without much fuss .

Yeah. the current color is due to the fact that I am currently the me from the future occupying the body of me five minutes ago, while lost in TIME due to accidentally carjacking the TARDIS...it will all be resolved as soon as I can get around to it. Unfortunately, I got busy again....
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

acunning40

Postby acunning40 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Oh, and, help. While I was typing this, my little girl was mashing and slapping the keys on the lower left of my laptop. Now the whole desktop and everything is too large for the screen and moves whenever I use the trackpad. What happened? How can I make it go back? It's an old MacBook Pro. I'd try the F3 button, but F1-F6 haven't worked since she rubbed cheese into the leopard.

It sounds like she triggered zooming in on the area where the mouse cursor is (so when you move the cursor the zoomed area moves around). I don't have a Mac, but here are some websites that talk about the shortcuts for zooming in/out and other related options:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11488
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/tricks-you ... iends-mac/
http://www.machelpformom.com/58-how-do- ... -my-screen

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Post of Appreciation!

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Image Made me laugh, ED! Molpish!

Awesomeful "Starry Night" section, taixzo.
And WOW, ggh. WOW is very appropriate! Thanks! And happy 500th postiversary! :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

acunning40 wrote:It sounds like she triggered zooming in on the area where the mouse cursor is (so when you move the cursor the zoomed area moves around). I don't have a Mac, but here are some websites that talk about the shortcuts for zooming in/out and other related options:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11488
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/tricks-you ... iends-mac/
http://www.machelpformom.com/58-how-do- ... -my-screen

Yay! I am saved! Thank you!
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

Wowterfallish, ggh!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Oh, and, help. While I was typing this, my little girl was mashing and slapping the keys on the lower left of my laptop. Now the whole desktop and everything is too large for the screen and moves whenever I use the trackpad. What happened? How can I make it go back? It's an old MacBook Pro. I'd try the F3 button, but F1-F6 haven't worked since she rubbed cheese into the leopard.

I can't help you (though it seems to have been resolved), but this story is adorable :D
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

A thought

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Y'know, there's actually quite a few vineyards in the area where I live...
Not sure whether any of them have an abundance of molpies though. One is near a lake (which is usually rather empty rather than seaish) and I'd rather stay away from snakes. Plenty of trees though.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:And I finally managed to figure out how to turn off the "Ken Burns" effect in iMovie, so here's a video with the frames synced with the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xjJ__gEV9E

Starterful, taixzo!
(Too bad about the messed up gamma in the video, though.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Nice music, @taixzo! I love how it syncs so perfectly with the OTC (which is the point, I suppose, but it does it very well!), can't wait to hear more! And impressively wowterful gif, @ggh!

I solved my little linux problem, by the way. Folks over in the help desk pointed me to a different USB image creator that allows for persistence, and that works perfectly.

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

@ggh Awesomeful!1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11!

And, I'm seaishly flattered to be included, even though my avatar is basically nothing :wink:

ETA: If BlueCrab sees this, I managed to get you into an Outside Drawception hotdog!

Spoiler:
BlueCrab.png
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 am UTC

taixzo wrote:And I finally managed to figure out how to turn off the "Ken Burns" effect in iMovie, so here's a video with the frames synced with the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xjJ__gEV9E

Also awesomeful and atmospheric. I liked the chirps, especially. :wink:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:30 am UTC

EVONGELIZERS...

-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 am UTC

@ggh - Totally like unto a Baobab, and generating a seaish amount of amazificaton!

@taixzo - Just... wow! I am constantly impressed by the sheer amount of talent in this thread and the generosity with which it is shared.

Treeish discovery chem1190c! I wonder how many more of these relics will be found... and if they twist like Rubic cubes.

Nice Otthercomic ZoomanSP. It has so many molpies, and raptors, and labels, and.... things!

@BlitzGirl - lovely ode to Ottification. I'm looking forward also to how yappobiscuits musicifies it.

@StratPlayer - as you can see, the OTT is still going strong. I'm still writing Acts of the Clerics, (now in its third act) and other otters are still putting together amazing things! There is now an ecclesiastical calendar, so that your days of Waiting For It can be properly marked. On the Outside I'm still doing my theatrical antics (whatever I can squeeze in after Waiting For It)... we close Becky's New Car this weekend (an adorable play, btw) and then after the one-acts, I'll start work on the Clean House. Alas, it's somebody else's clean house; my own will retain its present entropy level for now.

Treeish! We wouldn't want you to be yappo, because then you wouldn't be Eternal Density. Remember the Prayer of BlitzGirl.
Spoiler:
... As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.
:)

Welcome questers january1may, mattachu, and solzerid May your journey be full of wonder, awe, and everything molpy!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:04 am UTC

This phone-therapy has turned me back onto poetry, it seems, because here's another epilogue poem! Rhyme scheme is EDBADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC, the Sequence of the Oughts, listed in green on mscha's page.

Just Us Two

Nothing else to do today
Let's build a castle by the sea
There's Time enough for you and I
To make anything we want to

Come sit on the sand with me
And together we will play

Bit by bit we'll watch it grow
Piece by piece we'll build it high
Grain by grain it may seem slow
But we know that Time will fly

Come sit on the sand with me
We've got nowhere else to go

Let us make a picture new
A remarkable display
An ever-changing show
In the shadow of the sea

The sea grows high
It's strange but true
Seems the castle's end is nigh
Nothing else for us to do
But say a final sad goodbye
Pack some bags for just us two

Come away and walk with me
Into lands we do not know
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Soup wrote:@ggh Awesomeful!1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11!

And, I'm seaishly flattered to be included, even though my avatar is basically nothing :wink:

ETA: If BlueCrab sees this, I managed to get you into an Outside Drawception hotdog!

Spoiler:
BlueCrab.png

oh hey, I didn't know you were on drawception. I must follow you! (I'm JohnLee there, because I foolishly failed to give myself a username.

And that's a pretty Epilogue Poem, blitzgirl, as always. I have to try one of those soon. There's something cool about a computer generated rhyme scheme.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:16 am UTC

ergman wrote: oh hey, I didn't know you were on drawception.

I just started yesterdip to join the OTTer one :D

Spoiler:
SmZqCTetFf.png
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Wingish "Starry Night", taixzo!
And a new epilogue poem4 by BlitzGirl!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:39 am UTC

The DragonDashery's Festive Red Wool Winter Hat line is getting good business this time of year. I wonder why.

For ergman,

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:30 am UTC

ONGAINSAYABLE...

-- posted by newpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:50 am UTC

That is beautiful.

Just another outsider stopping by to admire this thread.
No. I don't understand it. I like it anyway.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:03 am UTC

addams wrote:

That is beautiful.

Just another outsider stopping by to admire this thread.
No. I don't understand it. I like it anyway.

Guess what? You're not an outsider. :)

(I hope you don't mind that I adorned your name with scarlet pimpernels in the wOTTerfall. You strike me as a bit Leslie Howard. I love that version.)
Agatha the Awesomeful

Eternal Density

Hotdog layout broken and fixed and broken and fixed and...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:19 am UTC

CSS is hard!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 am UTC

We like you too, addams! Stop by anytime :)
Psst, have you watched this gif that ggh made?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

waveney

Re: Hotdog layout broken and fixed and broken and fixed and.

Postby waveney » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:CSS is hard!

What did I say the other day - I hate CSS...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”