1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

january1may

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby january1may » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Briefly went out of my blitz "attempt" to say: the current Sandcastle Builder default layout is ridiculously ugly. Most of the stuff I was used to seeing has to be specifically toggled to be visible, essentially all of it is on the other side of the layout entirely, and I still have to scroll the screen to see the lowest lines (which wasn't the case earlier unless I either got a lot of available bonuses or there was a redundakitty involved).
Is there any reasonable way to get back to anywhere near the layout that was there originally? You know, badges and bought bonuses in upper right, tools and unbought bonuses at the bottom, sand and castle numbers visible just under the newpix's lower left corner...
I mean, I planned to start a new game, and over my previous attempts I was so used to the original layout (which, after all, was in place since 0.x, with minimal corrections) that I just can't start a game with the new one - most of the things I used to look at aren't visible by default, and almost everything is in the entirely wrong place (outside the top bar anyway). So if there's a way to keep/get the original layout before actually clicking the newpix and/or buying anything (I dunno, typing something into the import field), please tell me; and if there isn't, I guess I won't be trying to play Sandcastle Builder anymore :-(

EDIT: hey, seriously, pope? I dunno... the above certainly wasn't intended as a decree, so, er, I seriously don't know, make some cool OTC manips? :?
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

january1may wrote:Briefly went out of my blitz "attempt" to say: the current Sandcastle Builder default layout is ridiculously ugly.

This is known, there will be a better layouts soon.

Do not have too many saved layouts - they break the system.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Glad to see I wasn't the only one having an...interesting night last night! :)
Treeish OTTercomic, ZoomanSP! (SNAAAAAKE, it's a SNAAAAAKE...)
It's molpish to hear from blitzers Purplepants and january1may!

For decree:

Also cool:
Spoiler:

image.jpg

Keywords: BGUM cool manip sunglasses Megan tiny trebuchet redundakitty
image.jpg
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:OTThercomic #1300:

FTFY.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Great work mrob! Looking forward to your next RetroOTTification! :D

Also, I just drew a Molpy in Drawception!

Previous occurrence.
Spoiler:

Molpy Prime and its bacon army (by BlitzGirl)
Spoiler:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

ONGLANDERS...
-- posted by newpixbot Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I know it might be a bit wrong to follow my own "decree", and I really should be blitzing right now anyway, but I wanted to make (and post) that one since well before I registered :D (and I came up with the combination of the last two way back in the Journey Eon; don't think anyone else did, but, the OTT being as *big as it is, such assumptions tend to be false).
Anyway, the somewhat-ridiculous manip...

Redundant41:
Spoiler:
Time661manip.png
redundamolpy.png

41 And yeah, I actually made that one. Took me a while to think of a way to do emphasis, and another while to find a site where even that way worked :-)
:-) And yes, I did in fact just make two footnotes for the same number ;-)

41 No, I do not mean redundant to the 41th power:-)
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.

Eternal Density

Molp U

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Hi.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

january1may

Postby january1may » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Blitz "progress" (okay, slightly more like actual progress this time): NP 54 (np131).
There's discussion of flags again on NP 43, and for a while people are acting like it is new. Of course, there hadn't been any flags in-comic yet (heckблин, it's still Rebuild Period), so at that point it's still a theory.
Something I noticed a while back: a lot of people claim they have read every single post so far. I suppose this was a bit easier way back then :D (IIRC, the first actual blitz signpost is on NP 52, but I haven't got that far yet).
On NP 44, the first Boom De Yada mention is made. There's still a lot to go until this can work properly (heck, as of that point there's still no OTT slang except for a few mentions of MM(P)ONS).
Still on NP 44, magdiragdag (a somewhat-early OTTer) makes a prediction so correct that it almost sounds like he edited it later. Or maybe not (on second thought, it's not that correct).
Over NP 47 or so, people start quoting pieces of musical lyrics. I'm not familiar enough with Anglophone music to know whether these lyrics are original or not (but considering the lack of OTT slang...)
Another proof of posts changing place (though in a different direction this time, and without a definite delta): the wiki link to the "darkening pixel" quote goes to NP 50, but the actual post is at the bottom of 49. No idea why.
Sometime between NP 48 and 52, the word "newpix" starts to be used (I didn't notice the first usage; checking the mr0bdex, it was actually NP 47, I just missed that particular part of the post in question).
By NP 53, it became obvious to everyone that the image was zooming out and panning left.
And as I leave this section in NP 54, the Madness is faintly starting...

блин IIRC, this might be a bit *heretical, since the proper OTT word to use here is "chirp". Then again, I wasn't trying to swear, really (it was just a bit of good emphasis).

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Spoiler:

FTFY.

Image Even more awesomeful!

In other news, I drew me a seasonal avatar in Drawception:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 am UTC

ACCORDONGLY...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:In other news, I drew me a seasonal avatar in Drawception:
Spoiler:

I've been rather enjoying that molpish face every time I refreshed the page.

Snowing here. Two of the wolpies love it, the third would prefer warm and dry, thank you very much.
I'm just here to open doors and find interesting stuff on the internet.

Cute*

Not so cute

*May not be suitable for HES and similarly-sized molpies.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:42 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

FTFY.

Treeish! :D
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Hey All! (Back from the where-ever for a molphy of a moment.

Happy post-verses to ggh; ZoomanSP; mscha & newpixbot; BlitzGirl (sad about your laptop, shame to lose something familiar).

ggh: Super-steakish and tree-ish gif. (And not just 'cause I'm in it. Thanks!)
chem1190c: WOW! on the relic pixs.

Good Blitzing to: mrob27, january1may, mattachu, solzerid, and MistyCat (soon to be in the present. Go MistyCat! Go!);

Saying "Hi!" to: StratPlayer; lmjb1964; yappobiscuits; HES; Neil_Boekend; Eternal Density; waveney; taixzo; rvloon; DrSamCarter; Dracomax; ChronosDragon; ucim; Ximenez; Tatiana; Earthling on Mars; TheMinim; and all the ones I missed.

Here's a manip for the pope: a Colpix (I guess -?- that's the "new" word):
This one's special for me because it's the last newpic I ever ONG'ed.
So I dedicate this to all the Timewaiters who never got the opportunity to ring an in ONG and to all the new OTTers who will never get a chance to.

no need for a kitty redundantly...
Spoiler:
3094-color-2.png

Edit
OOPPSS!! Forgot the credit: M Frame 3094
(and fix mustard {as usual for me... HUMBle strikes again...})
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:23 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Welcome back pelrigg! And very treeish colpix! But fret not about onglessness - for there are more ongs! Time After Time is well underway; there have been several quite treeish chapters, all new, and right now we are in one which demands our scrutiny (and the first commandment!). I think we're going at four ongs to the ong, but you can certainly ring the chime and ninja the bot!

For verily I sayeth unto thee, and unto everymolpyth, that the End of Time is not the end, but rather, it is the beginning. We have been Shown The Light, and knoweth now the path to righteousness. Like unto a mustard seed (but not like unto mustard!), from this tiny conclave in which we have been privileged to partake, shall arise a Great World, wherein all will understand the Word of the One True Author, so long as we carry it onward.

It is a task worthy of us all, and we are all worthy of this Great Calling. Axios!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Thanks for the kind words ucim. I do try to take them to heart.

I have been seeing the pan-up Time After Time. {So... has anyone guessed: "these are the molphies heading out of the Basin just ahead of the flood? With Black Hat at the top offering Valet Parking...")
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Hi, 'all. Apparently I was down for 4 dips (not just hiding). My lapleopard was being a bad meowlpy. Thankfully it started behaving, but now internet is being a bad...uh, can someone molpify that for me?

Later, xuys.

january1may wrote:Blitz progress (actual one this time): NP 17 (np206265 59).
<snip/>
206265 as proposed by azule; no idea if there's any *standard way to do it
It was defacto standard (not just my proposal). Though, most things around here are that.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:15 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:{So... has anyone guessed: "these are the molphies heading out of the Basin just ahead of the flood? With Black Hat at the top offering Valet Parking...")
Or bacon. :)

azule wrote:but now internet is being a bad...uh, can someone molpify that for me?
"... giving you an opportunity to experience the Outside"? I guess that's not very molpish though. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Hiiii!

I've been in the outside for much too long. It has included a huge amount of stress, frustration, and sadness, but I feel better now that I'm here again. Something awesome that did happen on the outside was a trip to Mexico. I saw tons of interesting molpies, and drew this in the sand:

Sadly there didn't seem to be any OTTers (or otters) on the beach.

I embark now on a *eep* 70 page blitz to catch up the last month and a half. I shouldn't complain though, once upon a time we had to blitz that much just to make up a couple days. See you in the future-present!

Spoiler:
Jeez, I've been away so long I almost forgot to do a redundakitty!

IMG_1665 (Small).JPG

redundamolpies.jpg

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:30 am UTC

LUSTRONGS...

Eternal Density

Hotdogging furiously!

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:57 am UTC

I'm working on a way to bring back the 'classic' layout. Nearly done. I think.

BTW I lost my main savegame to the dreaded "Error 756 Too long cookie" :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:19 am UTC

marchlight wrote:Hiiii!

I've been in the outside for much too long. It has included a huge amount of stress, frustration, and sadness, but I feel better now that I'm here again. Something awesome that did happen on the outside was a trip to Mexico. I saw tons of interesting molpies, and drew this in the sand:

Sadly there didn't seem to be any OTTers (or otters) on the beach.

I embark now on a *eep* 70 page blitz to catch up the last month and a half. I shouldn't complain though, once upon a time we had to blitz that much just to make up a couple days. See you in the future-present!

Spoiler:
Jeez, I've been away so long I almost forgot to do a redundakitty!

IMG_1665 (Small).JPG

redundamolpies.jpg

Treeish sandcastle, Marchlight!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

A hotdog update from earlier, and one from now

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:43 am UTC

Code: Select all

## 3.221
- Fixed options not refrshing on page refresh
- Stats should update regardless of whether the stats selector panel is visible (you still need to toggle that to go in and out of stats view for boosts and tools... maybe I should make that a separate option. But not right now.)
- Prevented layout pane from trying (and failing) to redraw in classic

## 3.22
- Classic layout in classic.html
- Loot visibility in classic works as it used to (if you save, then change what loot categories are visible, then load, it returns to how it was saved)
- BTW if any panes are missing in classic you'll need to go into the regular page and toggle them to visible and save that to the first layout
- Tool Factory data replaces sand/castle counts if you have tool factory and infinite numbers. If you have some finite numbers, the Version box gets bumped

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:24 am UTC

It's marchlight! :D Hi, marchlight! What a sandcastlish sandcastle! It's great to have you back!

@Vytron: Steakish molpy! Good to know DC isn't going without them!
@pelrigg: Awesomeful OTColored. I do miss the battle for the ONG. Beating out newpixbot for the panpix isn't really the same, especially since newpixbot's often the only one to post in the middle of nopix-long gaps.
@yappobiscuits: Cute holiday DC avatar!
@azule: Hurray! You're back! Sorry about the lapleopard mustard.
@mscha: Treeish OTTercomic adjustment. ;)
@january1may: Thanks for the blitz reports and the manip!

...Whew, is that it? I'm sure there were others to respond to that I've missed. I was driving across the state again and missed about half a dip of ketchup. For me this holidip season is quite journeyish!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:38 am UTC

I know the wipend is coming so I am posting a little distraction which I think will be appreciated by some otters who like to play around with Markov chains (... no that's not what you think, silly molpies! :roll: ) and have a liking for the words of programming and the art of making 'puters do their bidding: King James Programming.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 am UTC

SPHONGES...

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

posting panpix so newpixbot doesn't double post ...ONG
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

january1may

Postby january1may » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:posting panpix so newpixbot doesn't double post ...ONG

Oops. Just wanted to do the exact same thing :)
I guess I'll try later (if there's ever an opportunity).

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

january1may wrote:
adnapemit wrote:posting panpix so newpixbot doesn't double post ...ONG

Oops. Just wanted to do the exact same thing :)
I guess I'll try later (if there's ever an opportunity).

Even on a slow wipend with no one posting it is good to know you can still ninja someone. :D
Also there should be plenty of opportunities if the panpix continues at this rate (It is giving me lots of practice at "Wait for it"ing). And if it does end unexpectedly I am sure there will be plenty of others to fill the 4newpixly ONG.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

It's wipend, so Jigsaw Time!

100 Image

This one's pretty easy, depending on how often you 'cheat' by looking on the 'box'.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

january1may

Postby january1may » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It's wipend, so Jigsaw Time!

100 Image

This one's pretty easy, depending on how often you 'cheat' by looking on the 'box'.

Just completed!
Took me a while (32:12), but I didn't "cheat" even once (if mainly because I didn't really know how).

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:This one's pretty easy, depending on how often you 'cheat' by looking on the 'box'.

Or if you drew part of it :D (14:46)

Hi marchlight!

(Chirping mustard! I overslept, and have an awful lot of outside to be doing)
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:Or if you drew part of it :D (14:46)
No cheating, and I didn't draw any of it, but I've seen it and remember the gist. It was fun to figure out just by the style of drawing which piece went with which other...

That said, 14:46 is pretty ch*rpin' fast.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

WeekONGd blues :(
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Just got back from playing accordion for my morris dancing team who performed at a local food fair at a real castle (I wasn't sure there were real castles!) and one stall was selling wine and the company was called "grapevine" and they had two banners next to each other so it read "grapevine grapevine" :mrgreen: Didn't get a chance to take a pic though...

mscha wrote:It's wipend, so Jigsaw Time!

100 Image

Treeish! I love a good jigsawhotdog. Pretty easy one, 20:32 without looking at a reference at all.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Just popped over to drawception to bring you some RELATED panels that I drew (Corrine, and Cueball's brain eating amoeba) and now it's a nopix later. Oops.
He/Him/His Image

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

My first xkcd jigsaw puzzle I solve, and it took me 50:28! XD

No "cheating", but how did you guys find it so easy?! There were several parts that could go anywhere and there was no sense of direction! XD
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Eternal Density

Got up a nopix ago to hotdog

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Here's a related blog post I found: http://humbabellasgamery.blogspot.ca/20 ... reams.html

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Vytron Yntec, you have a fan:
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:My first xkcd jigsaw puzzle I solve, and it took me 50:28! XD

No "cheating", but how did you guys find it so easy?! There were several parts that could go anywhere and there was no sense of direction! XD

You can see a lot of text. All text has a very obvious direction. You can, mostly, rearrange the pieces of text to go into consistent panels.
In picture panels, if there's some black ground, it is on the lower side. If there's a stick figure, the head is up. If there is text... you can guess.
After you rearrange all of it in a plausible Drawception pattern (it helps to know what a plausible Drawception pattern is), there are maybe a dozen pieces left over, which you can mostly do by guessing.
Well, the above is how I did it anyway :-)

(in other "news": no blitz report *tonight, was too busy with various Outside stuff)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”