1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

MysteryONG

My first PagePapacy!
Decree: be awesomeful to someone in the Outside.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My first PagePapacy!
Decree: be awesomeful to someone in the Outside.

I won't be seeing anyone for the rest of the dip, so I'll tackle this decree tomorrow:

Tomorrow I'll be driving a bunch of students into the woods and shooting them.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Hohoho! Tis the season to be running from one gig to the other. I'm not really complaining, since people are (mostly) paying me to play moneyoops and that's a very good thing. But a little coma would be good too, and a lot of ketchup would be wonderful. So, I'm very very tired and very very behind, and I miss you all terribly, but I will escape the Outside one of these days! But right now I have a very insistent meowly who want to go out for her walk, then I have to run around like a chicken with my head cut up. (Such a lovely image. Eww.) I hope you are all having fabulous wipends, and I can't (can) wait to see what awaits me in the OTT.

Hugs all around!

etaoops Well, I could fix this post and put "music" in place of "money" like I meant to, and then no one would know what ucim was talking about a few posts down. Ha! I guess I had money on the brain (a much more serious condition than water on the knee, btw.) I suppose you could play money, if it were coins and you had them in some sort of shaker thing. And hey, Brian May plays his guitar using coins as a guitar pick, although I guess that's more playing with money than playing money. Or, maybe I was talking about the exciting new game Money, which I am so good at that people pay me to play it. Or maybe not.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

I did stuff.

Code: Select all

## 3.23
- Mustard sand rate turns to 0
- Notify when sand rate drops to 0
- Dragon Forge blackprint cost was showing up as half of the correct value because I forgot AC costs 2 per level
- When you have No Need to be Neat, the amout bought of tools doesn't reset, so you can see all the tools immediately, rather than possibly having a lot of a tool which isn't yet visible
- Tagged boosts don't show the tagged loot section when bought if their group section is visible
- In classic mode, the sand/castles numbers box wasn't being unhidden if you Molpy Down
- Fixed index page to show version number and correct colour scheme from your save
- Hilarious new badge by waveney
- **Only saves first two layouts** to try to help prevent cookie too long until that's fixed. You can create and export more layouts but only two will save. If you want to rely on 'temporary' then only have 1 other layout. When you save layouts there will be a warning message informing you of how many were not saved.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

A new generation of otters are trained to swim wait for it! (Warning: Molpies of extreme level of cute contained within.)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Tis the season to be running from one gig to the other. I'm not really complaining, since people are (mostly) paying me to play money and that's a very good thing...
I didn't know you played money - I thought you played kettledrums (though as we know, kettledrums are expensive!)

Is money a chromatic instrument, or melodic? As a kid, did you learn how to play money on play money? And do you play the money they pay you, or do you play your own money?

(I'd better stop here - BlitzGirl may be down a lapleopard, but she's pretty resourceful and may send a keyboard after me directly. :)
Spoiler:
It might even be a redundakeyboard.
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 am UTC

CONGRESSWOMEN...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

NewPixBot

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:45 am UTC

That's frightening.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Re: NewPixBot

Postby HES » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:49 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:That's frightening.

But awesome (though I'm not sure what his plans are for the women)

Hmm, this OTTherjigcomicsaw turned out a little more evil than I intended.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Re: NewPixBot

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:35 am UTC

HES wrote:Hmm, this OTTherjigcomicsaw turned out a little more evil than I intended.

Evil indeed, and very timely posted as I was about to go acoma...
26:42.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

more hotdog

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 am UTC

## 3.231
- Timetravel wasn't refreshing discoveries (i.e. the jump button)
- Memory warping has a (small) chance of temporal invasion
- Changed Dragon Wisdom again (now it lets you get Panther Poke with a higher number of remaining Caged Logicat questions, so you can store up more with Zookeeper)
- Caged Logicat shows Zookeeper progress, and updages if you're using Expando
- On the ONG, Caged Logicat puzzles only resets to 10 remaining if you have less than 10.
- Achronal Dragon only shows 1 tool at at time, with a button to advance through the tools.
- Telling boosts to redraw won't expand them if they're not already visible
- Redraw ALL the main 8 glass boosts whenever glass is added or spent
Okay it's getting close to 1 in the afternoon, I've been at this since 5, still in PJs.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:04 am UTC

ucim wrote:Is money a chromatic instrument, or melodic? As a kid, did you learn how to play money on play money? And do you play the money they pay you, or do you play your own money?
(I'd better stop here - BlitzGirl may be down a lapleopard, but she's pretty resourceful and may send a keyboard after me directly. :)
Spoiler:
It might even be a redundakeyboard.

Indeed, I do have some redundakeyboards, but they are all acoma on my dead laptop right now until I can retrieve them. Since that was an obscene amount of wordplay, though, I do have the phonesaw, ja!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Love the newnewpixbot! I squeeled out loud when I saw it. Thanks for the puzzle too, mscha! 11:29.

I'm printing out all of blitzgirl's crosswords as I schitzoblitz to do when I catch up, so thanks in advance for those.

Yappo: eeee, such adorable baby otters :D

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 am UTC

REVIVONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Another finding from my recent visit at the sea1molpyexhibit:
Spoiler:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
P1030760.JPG
P1030760.JPG (131.53 KiB) Viewed 22996 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

A little more

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:58 am UTC

## 3.232
- Forgot to add a Refresh() method to Badges, which broke timetravel to/from NP with discoveries.
- Refresh Production Control and Automata Control when glass levels change (and PC when PC changes!)
- Some tool rate badges
- Some dragon boosts
- Light is now the default colour scheme
I had been intending to go outside (In the literal 'fresh air and sunshine' sense) but then I found that some seemingly unrelated changes interacted to break time travel... and then I figured I might as well add a bit of new stuff.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:30 am UTC

GLAZONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Semenicecoffeeicecancerice...on ice

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I had been intending to go outside (In the literal 'fresh air and sunshine' sense) but then I found that some seemingly unrelated changes interacted to break time travel... and then I figured I might as well add a bit of new stuff.

Outside-outside is overrated anyway. I had to stand outside in -10 degrees Fahrenheit weather todip (wind chill included) and I would rather not repeat the experience any Time soon. Hopefully the Cueganites never have to undergo such conditions... since as far as we know, they aren't wearing anything. At least some of the Beanies have beanies, and Rosetta ought to be pretty warm with all that hair.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:50 am UTC

In 1024x768 what was supposed to look like this:
Spoiler:
looks more like this
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
newpixbot.PNG

newheadbot.PNG

redunbot.PNG

Have you noticed NewPixBot's eyes are actually sandcastles?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Taking Time for a miniketchup

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:03 am UTC

HES wrote:It's getting quieter by the dip in this thread and louder by the day on the outside. If I'm not careful I'll find myself slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the basement...

I'm sorry, this would not be allowed, because of things like this:
HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Yesterdip I saw and photographed some Alpacmolps!

Sounds like fun.

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:But then I'm often the silly molpy who's worried that I'm not contributing enough. :D

Stop trying to compare yourself with BlitzGirl. That can help. After all…

:D

pelrigg wrote:A little gift on a slow weekdip:
Spoiler:

Treeish!

Eternal Density wrote:Who do we strike?

Back, obviously.

jjjdavidson! Wow! Treeish to see you! And Tatiana too. I see you sometimes on FB, so good to see you here!

adnapemit wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I have to confess: The OTT outside frightens me more than a bit. I lost all but five months of my life to Time, and I'm still not entirely back on track.

FTFY

heehee

january1may wrote:Hello! New OTTer here (hopefully).

Hi, new OTTer, and welcome! Treeish to see new faces.

When I started this reply, it was just me and 32 guests. Now it's me and 27 guests. And I must coma, so, so the guests will be on their own...

ETA: Jose, you may wish to check out my earlier post. :) And apparently two of the guests have been replaced by bots. :( That is an alarming trend.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

waveney

Re: Semenicecoffeeicecancerice...on ice

Postby waveney » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I had been intending to go outside (In the literal 'fresh air and sunshine' sense) but then I found that some seemingly unrelated changes interacted to break time travel... and then I figured I might as well add a bit of new stuff.

Outside-outside is overrated anyway. I had to stand outside in -10 degrees Fahrenheit weather todip (wind chill included) and I would rather not repeat the experience any Time soon. Hopefully the Cueganites never have to undergo such conditions... since as far as we know, they aren't wearing anything. At least some of the Beanies have beanies, and Rosetta ought to be pretty warm with all that hair.

La Petite and Expando have hats. And many have bags.

Eternal Density

Woo southern hemisphere!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:10 am UTC

What kind of silly OTTer would have *winter* at this time of year?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:What kind of silly OTTer would have *winter* at this time of year?

Winter? It's way too hot for winter.
Well then again it did snow somewhere the other day.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

waveney

Re: Woo southern hemisphere!

Postby waveney » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:What kind of silly OTTer would have *winter* at this time of year?

Northern Otters. Actually this side of the pond, it is a nice bright sunny day (cool but pleasant).

One should not assume you don't get snow in Summer. Many Moooooons ago as a child I remember waking up on my birthdip (in June) to see half an inch of snow in the garden.

What kind of silly OTTer would have "summer" at this time of year?

Eternal Density

Molpy Down

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

It got very close to snowing one weird Christmas day a couple of years back. And there has been snow outside of window at my place, though we don't necessarily get any at all every year.

I'd like to have Summer all year!
Spoiler:
gp-cat-plays-with-ipad-gets-mind-blown.gif
not redundant, or related
gp-cat-plays-with-ipad-gets-mind-blown.gif (2 MiB) Viewed 22706 times

waveney

Re: Molpy Down

Postby waveney » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:It got very close to snowing one weird Christmas day a couple of years back. And there has been snow outside of window at my place, though we don't necessarily get any at all every year.

I'd like to have Summer all year!

I would hate summer all year - summer is too hot.

We only get snow about one year in two and deep snow (deep enough to make snow molpies) about once every 5 years.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

EVERLASTONGNESSES...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:In 1024x768 what was supposed to look like this:
Spoiler:
looks more like this
Spoiler:

Sorry about that. (On a phone screen it's probably even worse – I'm afraid to try.) Not much I can do, though; layout options in BBCode are severely limited, cutting up poor newpixbot was the only way I could get this close to working.

balthasar_s wrote:Have you noticed NewPixBot's eyes are actually sandcastles?

Yes, but only yesterday. (Or perhaps I did notice months ago, and forgot again.)
All credit goes to BlitzGirl, of course. (Go BlitzGirl!) She drew it for one of the boom-de-yada's, I only shamelessly borrowed it.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Stuff I wanted to post weeks ago

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

So I was looking at Generalized variable-length integers and being confused, but wondering if it held any clues to Aluisio's puzzle. Sadly, I haven't had any time to tackle this. I wonder if just putting all the clues and hints together in one place would be helpful.

I've done some jigsaw puzzles - thanks! But I might not try one from Jose again.... that sky! forever! The calendar tho: oooohhhh. I must find a way to print that when I get a chance. All the pix are lovely, but Departure and Visitation, Ja! are my faves.

HES wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:Ah-hah! I think this is what I had been looking for: http://xkcd.mscha.org/vieweraftertime/1/orig

Yes, sorry no-one got back to you. We're an easily distracted bunch...
This exchange cracked me up and warmed my heart at the same time....

One of my favourite pages had to be the papacy of ergman (now goated onto page 1627) Truly wonderful decree.

Laura Mae, did I tell you how wonderful your recording was? Loved it!
(I'm afraid I don't get to listen to much because I'm usually enjoying the OTT while the little wonder is asleep, so I haven't heard the GLR's interviews, or any of the other music yet. Soon, I hope.)

pelrigg - your OTColoured frames are so purty! I just wanted to reach out and pet 2495.

Dracomax! Vworping brilliant!

Jose - the suspense is killing me!

Btw, who ended up winning Kieryn's newslide?

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
427 + Dialogue from M985,1004,1005. This is what the first part of not flying looks like.
LOL :)

yappobiscuits wrote:It's not really RELATED, but I just felt like sharing. Does anyone else read the otherothercomic Subnormality? It doesn't update very regularly but every one is absolutely brilliant. Always clever, often very long and wordy, rather like short stories in a webcomic form. Not like your average webcomic where you can take in each strip in a few seconds... For that reason I think it's the sort of thing people who enjoyed Time would really like. Here's the latest one which was particularly good. Funny that I didn't think to share this here before and I haven't seen it shared by anyone else either...
Treeish! But, it's totally related! One of the slips of paper has the definition: "irredundancy: n, 1) the state of existing only to be comically pointless."

Ketchup to be continued....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Molpeh Urp

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

HES wrote:Hmm, this OTTherjigcomicsaw turned out a little more evil than I intended.

Neat! 24 mins exactly... I'd already figured out exactly what it was when I'd only put a couple of pieces together :P

ZoomanSP wrote:Another finding from my recent visit at the sea1molpyexhibit:
Spoiler:

Awesomeful!
Hairy Otter and the Philotterpher's Stone
Hairy Otter and the Prisotter of Azkaban
Hairy Otter and the Otter of the Phoenix

Spoiler:
looks more like this
Spoiler:

Ahaa! I first saw it this mornip when quickly checking the thread on my phone before properly ketchupping and wondered why on earth NPB's head was disembodied :P. Now I see it properly, it's treeish!

Oh wow! I thought they were just eyelashes. Now I see! How treeish!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I had to stand outside in -10 degrees Fahrenheit weather todip (wind chill included)

*translates into more sensible units*

:shock: Holy chirp that's cold!

mscha wrote:(On a phone screen it's probably even worse – I'm afraid to try.)

Yup. Certainly gave me a startling ketchup this morning

waveney wrote:

Northern Otters. Actually this side of the pond, it is a nice bright sunny day (cool but pleasant).

This side of this side of the pond, it's a dull drizzly day (cool but pleasant). We don't get that big yellow skycircle up north.

:idea: Right, OTTers. To meet my deadlines, I have to complete one assignment per day (whilst also dealing with other outside stuff). If you catch me molpying down without having finished, I trust you to find some appropriate punishment.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

GASSONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I had to stand outside in -10 degrees Fahrenheit weather todip (wind chill included)

*translates into more sensible units*

:shock: Holy chirp that's cold!

waveney wrote:

This side of this side of the pond, it's a dull drizzly day (cool but pleasant). We don't get that big yellow skycircle up north.

:idea: Right, OTTers. To meet my deadlines, I have to complete one assignment per day (whilst also dealing with other outside stuff). If you catch me molpying down without having finished, I trust you to find some appropriate punishment.

So far todip, I washed a load of wolpy towels, ran the dishwasher, watched wolpies play in the snow:
Picture 226.jpg

And shoveled the driveway, sidewalk and steps. (What's up with that, anyway? I'm used to just waiting a day and it goes away on its own.)
Apparently this is relatively normal weather here, unlike other parts of the US that are getting very unusual amounts of snow and ice.
Also, discovered I'm not really un-steambottlish enough to do all that yet, so I'm going to take a short day-coma.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Yay, it's SBN's wolpies! :)

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
looks more like this
Spoiler:

Sorry about that. (On a phone screen it's probably even worse – I'm afraid to try.) Not much I can do, though; layout options in BBCode are severely limited, cutting up poor newpixbot was the only way I could get this close to working.

Aha! That makes so much more sense now. I figured my phone was mustarding up the image somehow - it looks treeish when newpixbot is put back together!

mscha wrote:

Yes, but only yesterday. (Or perhaps I did notice months ago, and forgot again.)
All credit goes to BlitzGirl, of course. (Go BlitzGirl!) She drew it for one of the boom-de-yada's, I only shamelessly borrowed it.

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten too. It's been mips since I drew the original!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Blitz progress: NP 79 (np159).
People are already mentioning the wiki/OTW on NP 54. I probably missed where exactly it started.
Whatever did happen on Feb 22, 1916? I have no idea (and Google doesn't help either). I also don't say "y'all" (another NP 56 discussion). Yet another NP 56 discussion is gender-ambiguous pronouns (I think we eventually *standartized on "xe", "xuy(s)").
On NP 57, something pretty weird happened: an image from a bit in the future (maybe 8np, I don't know) appeared briefly for some reason. Considering they were in the Expansion Period... well you can probably imagine. Speculation went rampant (at least by the standards of *March 27).
Right on the bottom on NP 58... first blitz signpost ever! "Page 41 of 57", says Beidah (no idea why 57, considering it's the bottom of 58; could it be a typo?)
I'll check how had AussieBono's prediction held (stated at NP 60, it predicts that NP 80 would come in less than 14np). [Checking: it was close - NP 74.]
The spelling "newpic" is suggested on NP 61. Hard to think how slowrelative it's going - the Madness had been going on since NP 54, but, save for two or three brief mentioned, no one noticed it yet!
NoEdge made a surprisingly correct prediction on NP 62 (about Cuegan being just out of view building their own castle).
An overview is posted (apparently twice) on NP 63. From my own blitz experience, it appears to be roughly correct (though it missed some stuff that didn't become important until later, such as blitzing and the Madness).
A random picture from NP 239 is posted (spoilered) on NP 63 for some reason. Random newpix is random (and I don't even know what number it is).
By NP 64, discussions on the (non)existence of the Outside are in full swing. A motto of some kind is made, which includes the phrase "We do not Sleep" (they hadn't got around to calling it "coma" yet, apparently).
I had to do a double-take when I encountered the phrase "A religion seems a bit OTT" on NP 66 :D
Religion religion religion religion. Apparently inventing the word "newpix" counts as religion now :-) (not that they would know - or even suspect - how much more complicated our religion would get eventually).
"We reach page 69", says squonk... near the bottom of NP 72. Either it's irony or the disparity of posts was much higher back then (such as because of moderation queues). Not sure which possibility is less unlikely.
On NP 73, people try to predict how many replies there would be in the future. 18244? 9337? Their guesses sound ridiculously pessimistic now.
Beidah comes up again, calling NP 76 "page 73". I probably missed the previous signpost (there was one saying something like "57 out of 72", I've seen it when searching). [EDIT: it was on NP 75 - the thread briefly mustarded on me right at that point, so I didn't look as closely as usual; it did indeed say "72", so that's a consistent ~3NP difference.]
Magnap finally invented the term "comaing" (not necessarily in that form) on NP 76. I waited like forever for that... it's a sure sign that the OTT is finally becoming OTTish! (Note: it's still not called OTT yet.)
The newpages/newpix/newposts confusion already comes up at NP 78 (I don't think the term "newposts" is common later on in the thread, but we still talk about the other two). Just a few posts later, someone proposes "Timeframes" (ironically, apparently for exactly the opposite of later convention; current convention seems to be to use newpix for both).
And with that, I probably need to go to bed pretty soon, so I finish my report nowONG :-)

relative some would say "fast"
ONG And for a possibly-unique combination :D
QIANLONG...
(I'm pretty sure we didn't use that one yet)
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

january1may wrote:QIANLONG...

While my search skills aren't up the the level of BlitzGirl, I do believe you're right. Is that one not in newpixbot's dictionary, then?
He/Him/His Image

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

HES wrote:Vytron Yntec, you have a fan:
Spoiler:

Thanks KHES HES, I love those instances :)
Spoiler:

Though it don't know if it makes me look bad to say that I love them :mrgreen:

ZoomanSP wrote:Another finding from my recent visit at the sea1molpyexhibit:
Spoiler:

That's greatreeish! Also, for some reason I kept reading "Happy Otter" :mrgreen:

And, now, I bring, the very last Vytron Presents: The Lost Frames:

http://xkcd.com/653/

Alt: Movie enjoyability depends on movie quality, obviously.

And this is it, end of the back log!

Of course, you can always look at the ones that weren't lost at the usual place:

http://xkcdsw.com/2261
http://xkcdsw.com/2337

Thanks azule for the reminder to dig them up and for everyone else that liked them :)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

HES wrote:
january1may wrote:QIANLONG...

While my search skills aren't up the the level of BlitzGirl, I do believe you're right. Is that one not in newpixbot's dictionary, then?

newpixbot wrote:% grep -i qianl.ng /usr/share/dict/words

Nope.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Stuff I wanted to post a week or so ago

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Hello, all my dear OTTers! Sorry I've been away so long. I have to confess: The OTT frightens me more than a bit. I lost five months of my life to Time, and I'm still not entirely back on track.

I'm not at all surprised to see that the OTT is still going on. But I am surprised by how fast it's still advancing, and by how many OTTers are still around. I'm still back about NP 1430, but I think I'm about to have the time (and the energy) to actually dive back in again. I see that we've reached 65,536 posts at last; it seems appropriate that the sixteenth post on NP 1630, the 65,536th (at the time it's posted), is by BlitzGirl. Nice work.
It's more manageable now, and really, if you don't read it all, no one will be hurt. We'll just all be stoked if you pop in whenever you have some free time and say hi. :) Also jjjdavidson, while you're here, I wanted to let you know that you've affected my outsider life too: I've just started writing a double dactyl for my conveniently named friend Gabriel Adrian, who has been feeling a little low.

chem1190c wrote:Recent archaeological digs outside modern day Cueganville (location of the prehistoric land of "Spain") reveal curious artifacts left behind by an ancient race of nomads, who are believed to have been responsible for the mass exodus from the land of the sea shortly after the dawn of time. The purpose of these relics is as of yet unknown, some suspect they may have been objects of worship for early generations of OTT'rs.

Spectacular! Really gorgeous manip!

Treeish OTTherComic ZoomanSP!

Neil_Boekend wrote:Can't say I have seen such a plot, although there has been research into newwords and on which page they appeared. If you have such skill I, and probably many with me, would be delighted to see such a plot.
There is a database /archive somewher that would be suitable for such an endeavor. There is also a list of newwords somewhere that could be used as a metric. For example: the insiderness of a post is the number of newwords divided by the total number of words in the post. A post with an insiderness of 0.5 would be considered completely unreadable to outsiders.
This would also effectively filter out the posts that are incomprehensible to both OTTers and outsiders. Yes there are some.
Hehheh - you're awesomeful Neil. :)

BlitzGirl - loved the poem! How you create patterns where there seem to be none... I genuflect!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

january1may wrote:Right on the bottom on NP 58... first blitz signpost ever! "Page 41 of 57", says Beidah (no idea why 57, considering it's the bottom of 58; could it be a typo?)

I can think of a couple of possibilities. First would be the approval of firstposts from the mod queue (that would be a good number of them). Second might be that Beidah actually started writing the signpost when the pagecount of the OTT was still 57, and in the time that xe finished the post and was ready to submit the count had grown to 58. That sort of growth rate was possible in those dips. I remember that very thing happening to me a couple of Times when I was creating signposts. Or, it could have been some combination of those two scenarios.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”