1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yay, it's SBN's wolpies! :)

Wolpies in the snow
I left off my list earlier replacing a doorknob that broke, "trapping" us in the house. We have other doors, but that is the one to the backyard, making it the one the wolpies use most. It's been dismantled and just a hole covered with tape for most of a week. Still have some more to do, but it will require weather that permits a trip to the store. (With wolpies, of course, they love to go to the hardware store.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

I was about to say this,
In HES's head, as he read BlitzGirl's post, he wrote:Or, it could have been some combination of those two scenarios.
but then I carried on reading.

ggh wrote:genuflect

Awesome.
He/Him/His Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
january1may wrote:Right on the bottom on NP 58... first blitz signpost ever! "Page 41 of 57", says Beidah (no idea why 57, considering it's the bottom of 58; could it be a typo?)

I can think of a couple of possibilities. First would be the approval of firstposts from the mod queue (that would be a good number of them). Second might be that Beidah actually started writing the signpost when the pagecount of the OTT was still 57, and in the time that xe finished the post and was ready to submit the count had grown to 58. That sort of growth rate was possible in those dips. I remember that very thing happening to me a couple of Times when I was creating signposts. Or, it could have been some combination of those two scenarios.

My later observations (circa NP 70-75) found a fairly consistent divergence of roughly 3 pages, which I suspect was mod-queued firstposts. I'm pretty sure that the same thing, if on a somewhat lesser scale, was going on around NP 58.
That said, the posting speed back then was indeed much higher than recently (the entire NewPage 58, as it currently exists, took up around 0.7 newpix).
...Good thing that they didn't have page-popes way back then (I almost shudder just trying to imagine how they would've reacted to having the supposed "pope" of, say, NP 69 ending up all the way down on 72).

Unrelatedly: I've started a playthrough of Sandcastle Builder where I try to avoid clicking on the newpix as much as possible (yes, using my leopard counts). I wonder how far I can get that way (I briefly wondered whether it was even possible); fortunately, in the very very early game at least, redundakitties mean a huge amount of progress (I have 2 cuegans and 3 trebuchets, and I'm only on newpix 3).
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Black wolpies looking almost like silhouettes in the white snow... it could be in the OTC!

ETA: Pricklymolp is all ready for christmas!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:ETA: Pricklymolp is all ready for christmas!

I hope Simba I is am being suitably equipped with her my Christmas pudding bed...
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Hi and stuff

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

I found a hilarious ch*rpy .gif to share but it won't attach :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 am UTC

FOPLONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Hi and stuff

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I found a hilarious ch*rpy .gif to share but it won't attach :(

Self-censoring ch*rpy?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

only 5 to go

Postby HES » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Assignment 1: Complete. Molpy down.
He/Him/His Image

solzerid

Postby solzerid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:29 am UTC

48 hours until I am done with college hopefully for good. Then my blitz can begin in earnest.

ggh

And more recently

Postby ggh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:37 am UTC

taixzo wrote:So I thought I'd share part of my "One True Symphony", the Starry Night portion. Think of it as a preview for the entire piece.
And I finally managed to figure out how to turn off the "Ken Burns" effect in iMovie, so here's a video with the frames synced with the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xjJ__gEV9E

And I finally got a chance to listen. :) It's lovely watching the scene like this. Poignant isn't the right word, because it's not sad... What's a keenly-felt sweet?

Yes, I really miss Blue Crab too. Is there a crab-summoning dance we can do?

mscha - nice molpyhunting with the counter-pan!

mrob - got to hear your recording too. You're mad! But it's a good mad. :) Hmm... I didn't find a secret message... maybe I was listening to it too quietly....

Vytron, thanks for all the chuckles with your lost frames.

42 guests! marchlight! with a real sandcastle!

yappo - adorable up-molpy (and redundakitkat). Your hand-drawn avatars are pretty impressive too! (If I ha any self respect tho, I wouldn't have done your puzzle. I did.

About the hotdog: had fun yesterday messing around with the layouts. It's fun being able to toggle between a general layout that's good for the usual stuff I do, and a kitty-hunting layout. I'm still pretty awful about getting them - my best streak is only 27 - and they don't really get me anything, so it's just for fun. At this point, I'm not doing much, mostly just collecting discoveries. Unfortunately for me, I passed most of them before they existed, and I'm not time-traveling, so I'm at the mercy of locked crates to get me the ones I don't have. I haven't come across this goat thing yet, so I guess I'll just
Spoiler:
wait for it.

Hope you're feeling better, SBN! I enjoyed seeing your wolpies in action. :)

Thank you everyone who enjoyed the wOTTerfall - you gave me lots of warm fuzzy feelings. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Re: And more recently

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:45 am UTC

ggh wrote:yappo - adorable up-molpy (and redundakitkat). Your hand-drawn avatars are pretty impressive too! (If I ha any self respect tho, I wouldn't have done your puzzle. I did.

Thanks! But what puzzle? I didn't make a puzzle... or maybe I did but the brainslugs erased it from my memory! :shock:

Eternal Density

Hot Diggety!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Code: Select all

## 3.234
- Missed flagging some temp boosts: nav code and the glass switching statuses. (Now they should unstick if stuck)
- Wasn't saving or loading the autosavelayouts option value
- When loading in Classic, set up the correct panel visibility, so you don't get missing panels, or messy overflows as the Comic and Options and Stats and Export all try to draw at the same time
- Typos now work in Minus
- Added Beret Guy

ggh wrote:About the hotdog: had fun yesterday messing around with the layouts. It's fun being able to toggle between a general layout that's good for the usual stuff I do, and a kitty-hunting layout. I'm still pretty awful about getting them - my best streak is only 27 - and they don't really get me anything, so it's just for fun. At this point, I'm not doing much, mostly just collecting discoveries. Unfortunately for me, I passed most of them before they existed, and I'm not time-traveling, so I'm at the mercy of locked crates to get me the ones I don't have. I haven't come across this goat thing yet, so I guess I'll just
Spoiler:

If you've got Logicats you may be able to get a Temporal Rift which will then get you Time Travel.
Glad to find another person who actually likes/uses the layout system.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:47 am UTC

@mschaNice newpixbot! I had a lot of fun making the window size smaller and larger - I was thinking of telling you but it seems others ninja'd me about it. However, I think you can keep your bot together by using markup like:

ongimage
{right}head
body{/right}

You'd have to enter the "right" tag by hand; it works lke the "center" tag.

I also enjoyed the jigsaw, ya!

And such cute otters from yappobiscuts too!

BlitzGirl wrote:Since that was an obscene amount of wordplay, though, I do have the phonesaw, ja!
Well, I can say I saw that coming. :)

Great discovery ZoomanSP of Hairy Otter!

lmjb1964 wrote:ETA: Jose, you may wish to check out my
earlier post. :)
Yeah... I figured. In theory people could pay me to play music, but whenever they do, they always request a piece by John Cage. I also wouldn't know what money on the brain is, as I have no brain to work with. The news about Brian May is interesting - how does he pick his money to pick his guitar with?

Just a minute, my cell phone's ringing.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
(Yanno, that would make an interesting cell phone ring.)
ggh wrote:I've done some jigsaw puzzles - thanks! But I might not try one from Jose again.... that sky! forever! The calendar tho: oooohhhh. I must find a way to print that when I get a chance. All the pix are lovely, but Departure and Visitation, Ja! are my faves.
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the results of your struggle with the blue sky! It is a religious calendar though - you're supposed to suffer. :)

ggh wrote:Jose - the suspense is killing me!
The Second Scribe is on edge too! But like her, you'll have to [ ].

january1may - whoa! Did you just stumble across the very first BlitzGirl the Primordial? I wonder whatever happened to Beidah.

january1may wrote:My later observations (circa NP 70-75) found a fairly consistent divergence of roughly 3 pages, which I suspect was mod-queued firstposts.
That would be 120 new delurks in the queue at the time of posting! Wow!

Love your lost frames, Vytron!

solzerid wrote:48 hours until I am done with college hopefully for good. Then my blitz can begin in earnest.
Welcome to this most Glorious Sacrament! Randalspeed!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:26 am UTC

solzerid wrote:48 hours until I am done with college hopefully for good. Then my blitz can begin in earnest.

Early congratulations! My brother graduated yesterdip. College is not easy!

ucim wrote:Just a minute, my cell phone's ringing.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Now I want a chainsaw ringtone so I can have a real phonesaw! :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I'm helpful and stuff!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Early congratulations! My brother graduated yesterdip. College is not easy!

ucim wrote:Just a minute, my cell phone's ringing.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Now I want a chainsaw ringtone so I can have a real phonesaw! :D
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=chainsaw+ringtone

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Or I could always turn on the chainsaw in the garage and have a custom ringtone. :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Or I could always turn on the chainsaw in the garage and have a custom ringtone. :D
Or you could duct-tape your phone to the chainsaw, and couple the ringer to the starter. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Re: And more recently

Postby ggh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:08 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ggh wrote:yappo - adorable up-molpy (and redundakitkat). Your hand-drawn avatars are pretty impressive too! (If I ha any self respect tho, I wouldn't have done your puzzle. I did.

Thanks! But what puzzle? I didn't make a puzzle... or maybe I did but the brainslugs erased it from my memory! :shock:

Oops, it was HES's. err, HES' ? Just when I think I've got the rules of making possessives figured out.... I clicked on it from your post where you said you had it figured out from a few pieces in - hence the confusion. I, too, recognized it quickly, and lost any remaining respect for myself when I couldn't stop putting it together even after I realized it was mocking me. Pwned by HES. Not surprised. :P

Eternal Density wrote:If you've got Logicats you may be able to get a Temporal Rift which will then get you Time Travel.

Yes, ED, the customizable layout is very treeish! Amazing how flexible you made it too! You just have to take a little time, and you can make everything just like you'd like for whatever stage of the game you're at. :) Y'know... if folks are finding it a hassle to set up their set-ups, I bet you could get them to like it by making it a stage, or a set of boosts or something. If they had to earn the right to move around the sections....

I confess I've worked very hard to avoid temporal rifts - quite a while ago Logicat was throwing them at me right and left. I like the constant march of newpix just like in the OTC - right now I'm at the little river, soon to discover the Wowterfall. I guess I'll time travel when I get to t** **d. Maybe if you're feeling really bored and generous one night, you could throw me a boost that gives me a 50% chance of finding a missed discovery if I open a locked crate whilst ashf is in force or some such. ;)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:30 am UTC

LONGBOW...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

Re: And more recently. ETA 110

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:20 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:If you've got Logicats you may be able to get a Temporal Rift which will then get you Time Travel.

Yes, ED, the customizable layout is very treeish! Amazing how flexible you made it too! You just have to take a little time, and you can make everything just like you'd like for whatever stage of the game you're at. :) Y'know... if folks are finding it a hassle to set up their set-ups, I bet you could get them to like it by making it a stage, or a set of boosts or something. If they had to earn the right to move around the sections....

I confess I've worked very hard to avoid temporal rifts - quite a while ago Logicat was throwing them at me right and left. I like the constant march of newpix just like in the OTC - right now I'm at the little river, soon to discover the Wowterfall. I guess I'll time travel when I get to t** **d. Maybe if you're feeling really bored and generous one night, you could throw me a boost that gives me a 50% chance of finding a missed discovery if I open a locked crate whilst ashf is in force or some such. ;)

I actually hope to make it more flexible, once I stop using c**kies which kill the game whenever they get too big. (I'm working on it...)
But I think that making people earn the right to move things would not go down well.

Maybe I'll make Locked Vaults (a new thing waveney added as the bigger brother of crates) more likely to give a missed discovery...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Obligatory post of the day

Something something science timey wimey smart

hotdog flutterbee pricklymolp wowterfall wowbobtrees panthersalve

:effort:

Eternal Density

You're barely trying!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:10 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Obligatory post of the day

Something something science timey wimey smart

hotdog flutterbee pricklymolp wowterfall wowbobtrees panthersalve

:effort:
Rose who should have been molpydileish produces (away from new Curly) cybernetic GLaDOS which loudly hides, and destroys (within upper-class Lopside) the incredibly major but squashed Department except in bed. Neat, the molpy and the most dedicated quoter in the world debugs my cute key from your clear food, and doesn't afraid of the most black man according to the Guinness Book of Records. Waveney inevitableishly questions, and never calls, and decodes (in Two-Tone which might be fully achronal), and requests, and confuses the most wet sentient planet [citation needed] which decodes, and produces my tool after the camolpy, right? Sparse decodes the badge and the problematic molpyguana, and doesn't afraid of the fruit. Buzz wears (for anything) anything. Dead Forelock with the zemolp might be a little bit solid which was the last anyone said on the matter. Finally, chirp everything, industrial Sandy decyphers (in the important Department) the active molmmoth-like Department of Redundancy Department, statistically speaking.

Spoiler:
Hey, Part on your sudden key inside Gray Bun decays along the clicking person at the golden quackmolpy, scientific studies have shown. CH*RP, the redundant raptorcat throws the chipmonpy from my redundant information like a cybernetic blackprint or perhaps not. My key and the industrial slothpy often turns but I don't believe a single word of it. The Pope shinyly spoilers Shortdo and the Mome and I'm sure it'll happen one of these dips. The blackprint who reloads of important Cave Johnson into the moltise unpacks the betrayal and the molpanzee-like Department. He needs the flammable moltise under the one who reads this????

Sparse which might be late yet entirely loud explodes. Yeah, my tool in anything shrugs like a owlpy. Hooray, the food inside your badge hides the weird molpy and the Department but I am okay with that now. The Department which could have been inmetal blitzing is crateing. The most yellow Department of Redundancy Department likes (past Loopsy and the Department of Redundancy Department), and builds (towards the extreme molpyguana and the extreme spaceship) the molephant: ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball! By GLR, the millimolpy at the clear Department of Redundancy Department emails, and angryly decompiles your betrayal leading to the tragic events of today. The Department from real Shortdo chases the screen like a fully dolphy-like Department... Eternal Density might have been angry but no one cared. Neat, CH*RP, great Mini-Two-Tone with the prolific centimolpy embiggens (throughout GLR) the least delicious poster on the moon from She-Bangs, and doesn't afraid of the riverish yet almost but not quite entirely new Department of Redundancy Department.

Chirping mustard, neat, the tool will be almost but not quite entirely retroactive yet not polite. Oooh, huh, alright, Headband could have been rough bearraptorish leading to the tragic events of today. Chirp everything, whoever is on the outside of the screen looking in often redoes whoever is on the outside of the screen looking in like a a little bit real molpandaish Department except in bed. The flammable molpossum nowhere near your loud message deconstructedly explains bold Newest Bangs Brother and the least shiny man in the hidden cow level, and doesn't afraid of it. The a little bit striped Department decompiles the leopard before the most wingish musician in the Mediterranean.

Oh, the least polite coder since sliced bread separates (with the weird yet unspeakable Department of Redundancy Department and the Department of Redundancy Department) the beesnake: ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball! The Department of Redundancy Department confuses, and compiles (inside the most steambottlish sentient green block in the known world) your yellow screen through one of your parents, and doesn't afraid of my yellow chip. The Pope posts within the Department. The Department of Redundancy Department which might be great almost posts, statistically speaking. Ch*rping m*stard, the raptorcat who might be least pricklymolpish almost uploads a Blitzer. The least tacky coder in the future is the riverish forge from your sudden planet and that was that. Expando and whoever is on the outside of the screen looking in compiles (close to anything) the hardly blue Department which falls like a Department of Redundancy Department. Huh, Cueball must have been entirely orcaraptorish in my pants.

Diamond Megan is the neckpy, statistically speaking. Someone standing behind you which might have been incredibly flammable burns (at anything), and expandifies (in the Department of Redundancy Department), and quotes (behind the fully white Department) anything, and doesn't afraid of my block. The redundant beesnake close to your fast key throws (after the Department) the stranger looking in the window. The least old-fashioned man in the world from within the Department of Redundancy Department is the Department, according to expert witnesses. The Mome uploads your chip who unties, and sees (inside the geckolpy who could be keyboardish but very monkeymolpish), and hugs the molephantish Department of Redundancy Department. Eternal Density and my food spins like a interesting information!

The least delicious person on the moon underneath Headband for anything almost chirps, and carries old Brick. No, the yellow boost kinda asks shiny Sparse who should have been wonderfully tired, and doesn't afraid of the bogus molpybara but I wouldn't worry about that. Oh, the Department chases a modern major general, and doesn't afraid of the far too redundant Department of Redundancy Department, statistically speaking.

ETA
waveney wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:It got very close to snowing one weird Christmas day a couple of years back. And there has been snow outside of window at my place, though we don't necessarily get any at all every year.

I'd like to have Summer all year!

I would hate summer all year - summer is too hot.

We only get snow about one year in two and deep snow (deep enough to make snow molpies) about once every 5 years.

Found the perfect response to this post:
Spoiler:
summer.jpg

But yeah, when summertime is in full swing (which didn't really happen last summer), it does get unbearable. But that's usually only a couple of weeks of the season. Or maybe it's just that we haven't had especially warm weather in the last few years.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 am UTC

New Othercomic is up.

Also, there's an interesting new image banner on the Othercomic main page, possibly an Umwelt-type thing. The image that I see ("This image is a hyperlink to the xkcd store"):
Spoiler:
is different from the banner someone posted in the newest Otherthread, addressed to Otherwiki'ers:
Spoiler:
Edit: Definitely Umweltish. The hyperlink-image is viewed using Chrome on my iPad. In Safari I see a different version that mimics Up Goer Five style.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Oh, treeish! I get a similar Wikipedia-esque thing only it says:
GLR wrote:Dear Wikipedia Readers: If everyone reading this showed up at my house, I would be like "what?"

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:New Othercomic is up.

Also, there's an interesting new image banner on the Othercomic main page, possibly an Umwelt-type thing. The image that I see ("This image is a hyperlink to the xkcd store"):
Spoiler:
is different from the banner someone posted in the newest Otherthread, addressed to Otherwiki'ers:
Spoiler:
Edit: Definitely Umweltish. The hyperlink-image is viewed using Chrome on my iPad. In Safari I see a different version that mimics Up Goer Five style.

Here's what I see:

Edit:

That was in Chrome. In Firefox, I see this:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
store_gd_e7_RbFw.png

store_gd_e17_hTND.png
Last edited by taixzo on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:12 am UTC

The one I see in Safari (and in incognito mode in Chrome) is a brighter blue:
Spoiler:
Here's another patzer found and posted in the Otherthread:
Spoiler:
I really want one of these to be Time-RELATED, but since there's no Time merchandise in the store...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:14 am UTC

Here's the pic of my one, presuming it doesn't just link to each person's own one...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 am UTC

I see it fine. It's interesting how subtle some of the differences are with these. Now if only they were a little more subtle, we could pretend the banners were newpix and molpy-hunt in them.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:19 am UTC

Well, this one contains bobmeowlpy!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:24 am UTC

*looks at yappo's post* That banner is redundant.
(There's a copy hiding in a spoiler a few posts up. ;) )

Edit: dalcde pointed out that the Umwelt Othercomic does not like redundancy, because there is no banner present on its page (unlike every other Othercomic).
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 am UTC

Yes... that's where I saw it. Was just pointing out the presence of a molpy as in:
BlitzGirl wrote:we could pretend the banners were newpix and molpy-hunt in them.

Besides. It was a meowlpy. And was redundant. We like that sort of thing. :P

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:30 am UTC

HONGOUT...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Yes... that's where I saw it. Was just pointing out the presence of a molpy as in:
BlitzGirl wrote:we could pretend the banners were newpix and molpy-hunt in them.

Besides. It was a meowlpy. And was redundant. We like that sort of thing. :P

Indeed! :D But that's just too easy when it appears as BOBCAT.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Far too easy! So much so that pointing it out is... redundant... Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 am UTC

Spoiler contained redundabobcat.

Would not open again.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Had to be done...

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Redundant (Beware of bobcats):
Spoiler:
OTT a-minus-minus.png

redundabobcat.jpg

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Hooray! The second panel is my favorite! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Here's the pic of my one, presuming it doesn't just link to each person's own one...

This is what I did not get, from Germany (hopefully not dependent on ISP):

WinXP        Opera     <blank>
WinXP        Firefox   Wikipedia readers ... click to visit the XKCD store
WinXP        IE       This PNG is <size>
Android      Chrome    Big blue piece of paper
Android      Firefox   This image is a hyperlink ...
Android      Opera     Christmas shopping w/o Bobcat

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am UTC

In a porn mode window (Chrome Incognito, Firefox Private, IE InPrivate, ...) you get a different banner every time you close and open the window. In a regular window, it's the same thing every time.
That suggest the banner shown is stored in a cookie, but I can't seem to find one that does this.
(...)
Ah, it gets the banner by loading Javascript from:

"http://dynamic.xkcd.com/test?_=" + ('' + Math.random()).substr(2)

(example: http://dynamic.xkcd.com/test?_=966606603236869)
and there's a cookie “c” (with apparently encrypted content) on that request, so that's how it's done.

Note that the ID of the banner is passed as “utm_campaign” in the link to the store, so the GLR is checking which banner works best.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”