1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: Time After Time

Postby ggh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Yay! chirpONG!
BlitzGirl, you may be right! It's the birds and the beesnakes tho.

ETA: epsilon, I didn't think I was pope when I posted this last night. Okay, tell me what your favourite holiday tradition is. What traditions do you think the forty will celebrate their survival with in years to come?
Last edited by ggh on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Yay! chirpONG!

Is Megan trying to morph into a giraffe?

BlitzGirl wrote:Peering at molberry bushes, perhaps? Or maybe Cuegan is finally learning mating rituals from the dance of the beesnakes... Image

The one where you get eaten by a raptor afterwards?

ucim wrote:Probably the first time I have actually LOLd at an internet posting.

Jose

This has happened to me a few times, but only ever within the confines of this thread.
He/Him/His Image

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Potential energy accrued. Engage punsaw.
VITSSÅGEN, JA!

CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP ABORT MISSION
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Wait, it's the weepend already? Man, holidips really chirp my schedule.

ETA: Since mscha is away, I'll fill in distraction duties:
OTT Xmas by yappo, 96pc
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

OVERLONGTHENED...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

HES wrote:Wait, it's the weepend already? Man, holidips really chirp my schedule.

OTT Xmas by yappo, 96pc

And it's really bad when the holidip is in the middle of the wip. Two dips of work (the other four letter word), a dip off, then back for two more dips of work.
(At least my job gives holidip pay from when you get hired in full-Time so I got Thanksgiving and Xmas paid and will get New Years Dip also. Other places I worked make you "Wait For It" for 90 dips before you "qualify" for holidip pay.)

Oh, and I did the OTTsaw in 14:26*** (one of my better times). Of course that means the super-jig-saw folks will probably do it in about 1:30 or so. (I can't even sort the pieces in the time it takes some of y'all to put it together. *sigh*)
Thanks for the puzzle HES.

It looks like azule is planning something special for his 1000th OTT post.

The current Time-After-Time is plenty treeish.

(I've had a couple two-three stories floating in my noggin for the past couple months [mips? or is mips = moments/minutes? My OTTish has never been real strong.] which I hope to somehow, somewhen pry out of the quagmire that is my brainpan. However, don't hold your breath Waiting. It could take quite a while.)

And another "one of these dips" things I have on my to-do list is a proper ketchup of the last 150 or so NewPages (*whoa*). It's right after "slaying the dragon".

Again Happy Holidips.
Keep Waiting For It. (Especially for all those new blitzers, the basement dwellers, and the "Lost Ones" so many of them.)
Back to lurking and basementing for me.

ETA
***ooppss: make that 20:22. I was looking at the wrong spot.
Another HUMBle moment brought to you by pelrigg...

Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Time After Time

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Ooh, an OTTer jigsaw puzzle! Will have to try that when I find the Time. :)

ggh wrote:BlitzGirl, you may be right! It's the birds and the beesnakes tho.

Ah, the sweet song of the raptorbirds and the beesnakes...

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Peering at molberry bushes, perhaps? Or maybe Cuegan is finally learning mating rituals from the dance of the beesnakes... Image

The one where you get eaten by a raptor afterwards?

Well, they went through a raptorcat attack once and all we got was Cuegan touching foreheads together.

pelrigg wrote:(I've had a couple two-three stories floating in my noggin for the past couple months [mips? or is mips = moments/minutes? My OTTish has never been real strong.] which I hope to somehow, somewhen pry out of the quagmire that is my brainpan. However, don't hold your breath Waiting. It could take quite a while.)

Hurray! Something new to Wait for! :D
(It would not be good if OTTers tried to hold our breaths the entire Time we've been waiting. I think the only one of us who could manage that would be Neil.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

ONGODLIKE...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

You are the One Thread

You are the one thread, the only true thread.
You make me molpish, when outside's gray.
You'll never know, thread, how treeish you are
Make a post to the one thread today.

The other nip, thread, as I lay coma'd
I dreamt that there was a Time 2 ONG.
When I awoke, thread, 'twas only m*stard.
But at least the thread molpies on.

(Ottification stopped after the first verse, because the song gets weird after that.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Great Sunshine OTTification, and what a great youtube version. Made me go all nostalgic, like.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

The OTT is consistently in the top three threads of the fora, and frequently the top thread.
I'm only good for random thoughts of late. Never enough to post and always just a little bit late.
I am here in the present, at least I don't think I'm in the basement, I never said I was leaving,
which is interesting, since I was one one of the earliest proponents of a never ending OTT, or at least one that would go on comfortably, if not for a thousand lifetimes, at least for long enough to outlive many of us otters, not counting Neil,
which is ironic, since I was also one of the earliest members of the endianE church of the OTC, even unto predicting the newpix on which it would end (give or take a few hundred),
but the OTC is the product of oneG, where the OTT is a product of many:
Who, in a thousand lifetimes, would predict that there would be a game based on the OTC?
Or that ottifications would continue and be the first place I and others would see the other comic?
Or that the punsaw would actually increase the frequency of puns?
You might have been able to predict based on fanfiction, that Time after Time, would appear.
Or that old otters would stop by, just to wish us greetings during this season.

That we are the top, means that in addition to former otters being pulled back by the warmth they found here,
we attract new otters from the rest of the foraN,
perhaps not as many as when the comic was up,
but, we also have the HotDog, generating another curious trickle.

I would call it an otter core that maintains the flow, but the core keeps changing
when BlitzGirl is temporarily sidelined (oh so rarely), there is yappo,
when yappo is not singing, there is Eternal Density,
when the Outside gets too heavy for ED, there are azule, Zooman, lmjb1964, HES, SBN,
the dragons (chronos, aluisio, dracomax),
the bots (mrob, balthasar - based more on prolificity of output than mechanical nature of posts),
the returnees and newblitzers (MistyCat, pelrigg),
and through it all ucim puntificates on everything, and mscha or the newpixbot keeps posting
no matter who creates the mystery ongs.

Will we maintain the flow a thousand lifetimes? Perhaps not -
everything must end, even the universe, even our galaxy, sun and earth,
beside which durations our alloted time is small -
but for the OTT to continue more than a year or two, easy.
I give it ten years at least, by which time I'll be oldO and grey
but still here, Inside in the present.

Speaking of greetingsG, I will add mine to the list.
A little late, for Christmas, more on time for New Years, but warmly felt all the same.

E Not to be confused with T** **d
G Even if that oneG has godlike powers
G GLR of course
N "Just what are those crazies over in the Time thread doing, now? Don't they know the comic is over with?"
O but hopefully not too grumbly
G But don't take my greeting as leaving, I'm staying here.

Edit: fix footnote mustard
Last edited by ttscp on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am UTC

LONGWISE...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Having major internet m*stard. Ever since the power outages yesterdip, our router no longer transmits wifi. It connects to the interwebs fine so I can access it by plugging into it with an ethernet cable, but no wifi. So I won't be around much as I can only get on the interwebs when I'm beside the router.

And now quote buttons aren't appearing for me so I'll have to improvise:
The MysterONGs wrote:CHIRP!

How rude!
HES wrote:Wait, it's the weepend already? Man, holidips really chirp my schedule.

(JigsawHotdog)

Yay! I was hoping someone would jigsawhotdogify that. I did it in 12:11, though of course I had an advantage...

Aww, molpish little otty, SBN!

And good to hear your random musings, ttscp!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mrob27

I'd Say For Sure We've All Decided, Every OTTer's Wonderful

Postby mrob27 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 am UTC

I'd Say For Sure We've All Decided, Every OTTer's Wonderful

From the Time-Travel Journal of Timborme
an entry from Newpage 940

Recently we reached Newpage 937, and @ZoomanSP's OTTification of "Every Major's Terrible", in turn based on Gilbert and Sullivan's "Modern Major General's song" from "Pirates of Penzance".
    Just a few pages later, @BlitzGirl let us know that (shortly after it had been suggested by @Valarya on NP467) she too had written lyrics based on that song, shown here:

Spoiler:

For seasoned veteran molpy spotters and ENHANCE-ers, it wasn't hard to figure out the lyrics (particularly after noticing how familiar many of the words were):

Spoiler:

Just like in mrob27's version, almost every line is derived from a post in the OTT. By coincidence, this post by @ChronosDragon was used by both BlitzGirl and mrob27.
    We asked nopixbot to search the afterwhen (our future, your past) to see if BlitzGirl or anyone else typed out the whole thing, and surprisingly nobody has. So, here is @BlitzGirl's OTTification of "Modern Major General", with links to the origial post for each line:

The Madness still pervades the posts, believe me, I have read it all (@BlitzGirl, part from OTT:295:11)
    Though you may think it saner as you travel through the thread in thrall (@BlitzGirl, original)
I'm here to show the craziness of Time can be quite wonderful
    So I present this massive pic — I'm sure it's stuffed with blunders full!

I haven't been here in years so I had to get password reset (@Hawb, OTT:31:25)
   if my past's on a server somewhere I don't have access to it (@SBN, OTT:438:16)
A good thing we have Aubron's animation to catch up with then (@moody7277, OTT:138:14)
   You have to swim the sea of semen to reach the sea of bacon (@jtomjack, OTT:98:1)

Just analyzed the current image, found no evidence of this (@Kieryn, OTT:418:27)
   Our creed is simple, ordained by the Great Lord Randall: Wait For It (@htom, OTT:302:26)
Though you may think it's saner as you travel through the thread in thrall
   The Madness still pervades the posts believe me, I have read it all

Been here since day one, posting very rarely, silently watching (俳句, @Ebonite, OTT:434:2)
   Finally catch up with the thread and it's time for outsider things (@beargarden, OTT:162:14)
Know I said I was leaving but that turned out to be premature! (@mojacardave, OTT:47:35)
   Can it be called an observation post if it's merely observed? (@Exodies, OTT:315:21)

How can those two be so massively ignorant of how sea works? (@Scott Auld, OTT:400:21)
   I hope I'm not on a plane when it happens that would be the worst! (@macraw83, OTT:440:4)
Probably not as uncomfortable as a plane being on you... (@KarMann, OTT:440:10)
   Well I can still have hope, can't I? Think I can have a sig now too! (@AK49BWL, OTT:412:0)

There's weeks and weeks of conversation happening here every hour (@Pfhorrest, OTT:108:34)
   The rate this thread is going, getting with the Time is pretty hard (@ChronosDragon, OTT:113:29)

Again, I just woke up, could be way off but I don't think I am (@Intrexa, OTT:252:11)
   You're saying we should beware rifts in the space-time continuum? (@partingLance, OTT:287:6)
What I want to know is when is TimeCon: the One True Convention? (@lmjb1964, OTT:378:38)
   I can't wait to see people re-entering this thread's reaction (@azule, OTT:219:34)

What percentage of this forum's members have joined in the past three days? (@HAL9000, OTT:53:19)
   Time is fading 'way Megan and Cueball return to (a?) white space (俳句, @Magdiragdag, OTT:418:24)
Too white to see? Too much excitement shivers from it, giddily (@Valarya, OTT:444:39)
   First sand, then water. This uncolored comic dies so beautifully. (俳句, @AluisioASG, OTT:419:36)

Now you can sit here with us while we watch the end of Time together (@Latent22, OTT:442:18)
   And to everyone on this thread, this has been the best adventure! (@Roia, OTT:447:8)

— @BlitzGirl, circa Newpage 475
      (aided by @Angelastic's haiku project)
    (Lines that were originally Haiku are marked with "俳句", three syllables "massive pic" were originally unidentified and represented by "~ _ ~")

You'll notice a bit of a hint at the end that the Fading would be the end of the OTC, and BlitzGirl suggested that this was why she didn't finish this song.

mrob27 and I will send another Time-Capsule later. There's a lot of great stuff happening in the 900's!

-- Timborme
Spoiler:
NP940 EMT-enhance.png
sample of BlitzGirl's lyrics showing a few enhancements

th_kitten.gif
animated Neko kitten
th_kitten.gif (1.71 KiB) Viewed 21401 times

Edit: Add Fading context note at end.
Edit2: Acknowledge Angelastic, fill in 3 missing syllables from BlitzGirl's reply, and clarify.. uh.... You're a kitty!!! Image
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:30 am UTC

BERRYONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:12 am UTC

What lovely thoughts (and EGGNOG) ttscp! It's always molpish to see you. :)
And treeish ottification, SBN! I sang along as I read it.

mrob27 wrote:Recently we reached Newpage 937, and @ZoomanSP's OTTification of "Every Major's Terrible", in turn based on Gilbert and Sullivan's "Modern Major General's song" from "Pirates of Penzance".
    Just a few pages later, @BlitzGirl let us know that (shortly after it had been suggested by @Valarya on NP467) she too had written lyrics based on that song, shown here:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
For seasoned veteran molpy spotters and ENHANCE-ers, it wasn't hard to figure out the lyrics (particularly after noticing how familiar many of the words were) <snip>

Just like in mrob27's version, almost every line is derived from a post in the OTT. By coincidence, this post by @ChronosDragon was used by both BlitzGirl and mrob27.
    We asked nopixbot to search the afterwhen (our future, your past) to see if BlitzGirl or anyone else typed out the whole thing, and surprisingly nobody has. So, here is @BlitzGirl's OTTification of "Modern Major General", with links to the origial post for each line:

The Madness still pervades the posts, believe me, I have read it all (@BlitzGirl, part from OTT:295:11)
    Though you may think it saner as you travel through the thread in thrall (@BlitzGirl, original)
I'm here to show the craziness of Time can be quite wonderful
    So I present this ~ _ ~ I'm sure it's stuffed with blunders full!

I haven't been here in years so I had to get password reset (@Hawb, OTT:31:25)
   if my past's on a server somewhere I don't have access to it (@SBN, OTT:438:16)
A good thing we have Aubron's animation to catch up with then (@moody7277, OTT:138:14)
   You have to swim the sea of semen to reach the sea of bacon (@jtomjack, OTT:98:1)

Just analyzed the current image, found no evidence of this (@Kieryn, OTT:418:27)
   Our creed is simple, ordained by the Great Lord Randall: Wait For It (@htom, OTT:302:26)

Been here since day one, posting very rarely, silently watching (俳句, @Ebonite, OTT:434:2)
   Finally catch up with the thread and it's time for outsider things (@beargarden, OTT:162:14)
Know I said I was leaving but that turned out to be premature! (@mojacardave, OTT:47:35)
   Can it be called an observation post if it's merely observed? (@Exodies, OTT:315:21)

How can those two be so massively ignorant of how sea works? (@Scott Auld, OTT:400:21)
   I hope I'm not on a plane when it happens that would be the worst! (@macraw83, OTT:440:4)
Probably not as uncomfortable as a plane being on you... (@KarMann, OTT:440:10)
   Well I can still have hope, can't I? Think I can have a sig now too! (@AK49BWL, OTT:412:0)

There's weeks and weeks of conversation happening here every hour (@Pfhorrest, OTT:108:34)
   The rate this thread is going, getting with the Time is pretty hard (@ChronosDragon, OTT:113:29)

Again, I just woke up, could be way off but I don't think I am (@Intrexa, OTT:252:11)
   You're saying we should beware rifts in the space-time continuum? (@partingLance, OTT:287:6)
What I want to know is when is TimeCon: the One True Convention? (@lmjb1964, OTT:378:38)
   I can't wait to see people re-entering this thread's reaction (@azule, OTT:219:34)

What percentage of this forum's members have joined in the past three days? (@HAL9000, OTT:53:19)
   Time is fading 'way Megan and Cueball return to (a?) white space (俳句, @Magdiragdag, OTT:418:24)
Too white to see? Too much excitement shivers from it, giddily (@Valarya, OTT:444:39)
   First sand, then water. This uncolored comic dies so beautifully. (俳句, @AluisioASG, OTT:419:36)

Now you can sit here with us while we watch the end of Time together (@Latent22, OTT:442:18)
   And to everyone on this thread, this has been the best adventure! (@Roia, OTT:447:8)

-BlitzGirl, circa Newpage 475
    (Lines derived from Haiku are marked with "俳句", three unidentified syllables are represented by "~ _ ~")

You'll notice a bit of a hint at the end that the Fading would be the end of the OTC, and BlitzGirl suggested that this was why she didn't finish this song.

Randammit, I should have known a resourceful OTTer would try and ENHANCE my incomplete ottification somedip! :P Bravo, mrob. Nearly all of the lines of that were taken from Angelastic's lists of discovered OTT haiku, and then sliced and diced to remove a syllable apiece in an attempt to make them fit the meter. The "~ _ ~" is "massive pic." I had only succeeded in drawing some OTTer panels for it, including SBN, Kieryn, htom, partinglance, lmjb1964 (with slinches and two others), azule, Magdiragdag, Aluisio, Latent22, and Roia. Those drawings altogether accounted for less than a third of the panels, which is part of the reason why I abandoned the seaish project (the other part, as you mentioned, was that Time continued after the Fading). Anyway, steakish job deciphering it all and locating the quotes!

mscha wrote:LONGWISE...
Spoiler:

Yes! Follow the chirpy's instructions, Cuegan! :P
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:42 am UTC

That is quite an insistant "CHIRP" there! And that tree is full of raptors!

Thanks HES and yappo for that puzzle! It took me a few minutes longer than HES, but not too much. And it had blue! :)

pelrigg wrote:...past couple months [mips? or is mips = moments/minutes?...
Welcome back! As for mips, ni ni ni chocolate ping pong ball! Most usage has been to mean "month", but the new Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction uses it to mean either one of the thirteen four-week named intervals since the Beginning Of Time, or the last one (Syzigy which only lasts a day or two). These are True Mips in the sense that they align with The One True Time.

I don't know if we have ottish for "minutes", since to my knowledge, no such time period exists. It's kind of an odd length, about two centinewpix, but not quite.

SBN wrote:You are the One Thread

Spoiler:

The other nip, thread, as I lay coma'd
I dreamt that there was a Time 2 ONG.
When I awoke, thread, 'twas only m*stard.
But at least the thread molpies on.

Wingish!

Yeah, the (original text on screen) words in the video get wierd after that, but they don't seem to fit the song, so maybe they are doubly heretical. No matter. These are the True Words.

ttscp - Another returning Otter! Molpish! Nicely poetic renditions of treeish (and True) thoughts on the OTT. And from your greetings I ended up here, and thought I'd give you a present. The word "posslq" (pronounced "posselcue"), proposed in the LA times back in or around 1980 by one of the columnists, who was commenting on the census forms. It is an initialization of "person of opposite sex sharing living quarters". I suppose it should have been "poosselq" but that's not what I remember getting printed, and as that is one of the classic methods that words evolve, so it was. It fills in the lexical space for "live-in lover" or "unmarried couple" or somesuch, a space now occupied by the dry (what the Spanish would call "cold") phrase "Significant Other". To me, posslq carries the connotation of "sweetheart" (rather than the sterile category of a census form) and even sounds right for such a word. It's also a way to use a Q without a U in scrabble. Anybody who plays that word in a scrabble game with me gets a pass on it. It's a word. A wonderful word. May it blossom.

mrob27 - Great job with those lyrics. They do seem familiar, perhaps from the original, but I don't remember having as hard a time as I do now with my ENHANCE circuitry. I'm not getting any younger, I guess. That's what time does to you!

BlitzGirl wrote:Yes! Follow the chirpy's instructions, Cuegan! :P
So, it has come to this BlitzGirl. There are children present! (And there probably will be more children present if the Cugan can hear you!)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:19 am UTC

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes! Follow the chirpy's instructions, Cuegan! :P

So, it has come to this BlitzGirl. There are children present! (And there probably will be more children present if the Cugan can hear you!)

If Cuegan could hear me those children would have shown up many mips ago! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:30 am UTC

TUPONGATO...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 am UTC

For Decree.
My favourite holiday tradition.

Zip. Nada. Zilch. I am the cat who walks alone.

That's not necessarily a good thing.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 am UTC

Returned from stone age yesterdip. I like the current mysterONGs. Megan has been looking rather thoughtful. Image

For decree: Every member of the family can choose a game (up to ~2 hours) that the rest of the family will play without vetoing or grumbling (this means my wife gets us to play a word game).

ttscp

Re: posslq

Postby ttscp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 am UTC

ucim: I knew about posslq, but for some reason didn't include it in my list of alternatives. I pronounce it as you do, but have never liked it, perhaps because I never think of it when playing scrabble. In any event, I have lost the battle on squeeze; after a few weeks of using it to refer to my wife, it slipped back out of my vocabulary.
If you got to squeeze, however you must have passed through Living in a Village. The other friend (discussing Glass) in that is you.

MistyCat: if you are indeed the cat that walks by its wild wild lone, then all places would be alike to you, wouldn't they? That would leave no place for a preference for the OTT.

ggh (for decree): my favorite tradition is driving around looking at Christmas lights. One year my daughter and I decided to give out our own awards to the displays we liked best. We got strange looks when we showed up at people's doors with our certificate and bottle of sparkling cider, but nobody called the cops on us and we had fun.
It does seem reasonable that the forty would have some kind of solstice tradition - most peoples do. Maybe they all go down to the local Ikea and buy lumber for their sandcastles. No lights, not even tea lights, because we didn't see any candles in the OTC. I don't remember any fires either.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

balthasar_s

It's NewpixbOTTification time!

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 am UTC

IT'S NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION TIME!
I finished the first version of the NewpixbOTTification software. Examples below.
Spoiler:
Input#1
Output#1
Input#2
Output#2
Input#3
Output#3
Input#4
Output#4
Input#5
Output#5

Code: Select all

Animation is mustard.
The next step is to make it run online. The code can be downloaded from svn://bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info/npb (use "e" to login) or http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info/pro/npb.

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok, look at this bike
Now look at the wheel
Did you notice the javascript red switch?
Ok, so now I click it...
aand . . .
. . .
. . .
Yes! Everything works as expected! Now click again . . .
Back in the present!

It shouldn't be very difficult to guess what I'm preparing to.

So, nobody guessed what I'm planning to do?
V jnag gb oyvgm gur 1370 haernq cntrf bs gur guenq!
I'd like to ask for advice from those who managed to do it. What should I prepare? Are there any unexpected dangers?

Redundant
Spoiler:
npbott.JPG

outpix1.png

outpix2.png

outpix3.png

outpix4.png

outpix6.png
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

SHREDDONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Yeah, the (original text on screen) words in the video get wierd after that, but they don't seem to fit the song, so maybe they are doubly heretical. No matter. These are the True Words.

Jose

Even in the real lyrics, the song turns from sweet love song to creepy stalker song after the first verse. The chorus and first verse though, are what my sister dubbed, "Grampa's song" when she sang it to her baby son, because when we were kids, on long car trips, back when cars didn't come with entertainment beyond AM radio, my dad would periodically take my mom's hand and sing it. It's the only song any of us ever heard him sing without prompting. We did sing lots of other songs on those car trips, but Dad only ever started that one. I was an adult before I learned there were other verses.

ggh wrote:Yay! chirpONG!

ETA: epsilon, I didn't think I was pope when I posted this last night. Okay, tell me what your favourite holiday tradition is. What traditions do you think the forty will celebrate their survival with in years to come?

They'll celebrate Landing Day, the day the raft arrived at its current position. In the days leading up to Landing Day, it is traditional to take boat rides, and in the schools the entire story is acted out.

I've not done a great job of instilling traditions in my children. In my childhood, we children would awaken my parents on Christmas morning by singing, "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" Unfortunately, I'm a morning person, and my children are night owls, so even when they were kids we were often awake before them on Christmas. We still make them sing, but the tradition has lost something. (This year, the younger one sang, "Oh Come, oh Come, Emmanual" in Latin, which is very pretty.) We also attempted to follow my parents tradition of a tangerine in the stockings, but an allergy means that one daughter always gets something else instead. (This year, a pomegranate.)
We don't save games for just holidays, but we do play them especially at holiday times. I was given Chaos for my birthday, so we're playing that one, with much laughter, and yesterday a late box arrived with four new games. Faux-cabulary and Zero have been tried out. Bezzerwizzer and Beat the Experts are waiting their turn. Old favorites are Scattergories, Apples to Apples. and Educated Guess.

balthasar_s wrote:So, nobody guessed what I'm planning to do?
V jnag gb oyvgm gur 1370 haernq cntrf bs gur guenq!
I'd like to ask for advice from those who managed to do it. What should I prepare? Are there any unexpected dangers?

I didn't do it, but I know of some dangers. Watch out for links which will side-track you. The blue spoilers are especially dangerous. Have fun!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Megan and Cueball, sittin' by a tree
(Doin') N-O-T-H-I-N-G.
First comes love, then comes marriage,
But not if they're stuck on blank-stare-age.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HES

Postby HES » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Wonderous musings, ttscp.

pelrigg wrote:Oh, and I did the OTTsaw in 14:26*** (one of my better times).
[...]
***ooppss: make that 20:22. I was looking at the wrong spot.
Another HUMBle moment brought to you by pelrigg...

I thought that first number seemed familiar :P

yappobiscuits wrote:Having major internet m*stard. Ever since the power outages yesterdip, our router no longer transmits wifi. It connects to the interwebs fine so I can access it by plugging into it with an ethernet cable, but no wifi. So I won't be around much as I can only get on the interwebs when I'm beside the router.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :wink: There's sometimes a tricksy little switch round the back that can sneakily disable the wifi, which would be less mustardy than a broken router.

ucim wrote:I don't know if we have ottish for "minutes", since to my knowledge, no such time period exists. It's kind of an odd length, about two centinewpix, but not quite.

A minip occasionally takes the meaning of about-but-not-quite two centinewpix. A minim occasionally takes the meaning of the OTTer in ownership of NP1572. A minaj occasionally takes the meaning of an offensively atrocious outside "celebrity". A minig isn't a word.

Hi Rule110! If you cuegan shippers really want so see some action you need to start pumping some music through the fourth wall. Or slip some Time after Time slash fiction onto mscha's server...
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

SOCIOLONGUISTIC...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

She speaks!

Is this our first Cuegan dialogue in a Time-After-Time frame?

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Yes (for this series), and it is in the computer XKCD font - not GLRs normal style.

Megan did say "AMTOO!" at the end of my last chapter.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

waveney wrote:it is in the computer XKCD font - not GLRs normal style.

Maybe GLR's just throwing us a red molpfish?

It's probably Martians, though.

ETA: We need to prepare a prize for the 3333333rd viewer
He/Him/His Image

waveney

Time After Time

Postby waveney » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

SQUIRPONG

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Aha! The first bit of dialogue in this Time After Time and it's definitely typed in the One True Font. That rules out GLR for sure...
HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Having major internet m*stard. Ever since the power outages yesterdip, our router no longer transmits wifi. It connects to the interwebs fine so I can access it by plugging into it with an ethernet cable, but no wifi. So I won't be around much as I can only get on the interwebs when I'm beside the router.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :wink: There's sometimes a tricksy little switch round the back that can sneakily disable the wifi, which would be less mustardy than a broken router.

Many many times. I'm no stranger to router m*stard. There's only two buttons on the back - power and reset. I'm too scared to press reset though in case that erases all information from the router so it stops being able to connect at all...

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:There's only two buttons on the back - power and reset.

Mine doesn't even have a power button :cry: It has a WPS button though.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:ucim: I knew about posslq, but for some reason didn't include it in my list of alternatives. I pronounce it as you do, but have never liked it, perhaps because I never think of it when playing scrabble. In any event, I have lost the battle on squeeze; after a few weeks of using it to refer to my wife, it slipped back out of my vocabulary.
I like the word because of the way it sounds. It's lack of adoption however works against it. "Squeeze" however lacks weight, lacks gravitas. It has a sense of "mere pleasure" rather than that of a more long-lasting companionship.

I had not however passed through Living in a Village, as I popped around using internal links rather than reading chronologically. I have now. Of interest; one unique thing about present society is that this is the only time where any human could have a conversation with any other human, except perhaps at the dawn of man, if such a dawn was through one tribe and "man" was sufficiently distinct at that time. Before radio and telephone, we were spread out too far to have a conversation, and after the colonization of Mars (if it ever happens) the speed of light will be limiting.

For decree, we don't do it (much) any more, but when I was growing up we also used to go around looking at Christmas lights. My two favorites were:

1: (at that time) a house which was lit only by one colored spotlight. It was a small house on the corner near where I grew up, and in contrast with all the regular Christmas lights, it was beautiful, especially given the architecture of the house, which the light put to good use. (Later on they put up ordinary lights, and after that, they went back to spotlighting, but with several spotlights. None were as effective)

2: (where I live now) a huge property which has put tiny lights colored all through the trees and the house. The shape of the property and the tastefulness of the display is just stunning. Although it's a large display, it's far from the road, and it is not at all garish. It's more of a fantasy land.

balthasar_s wrote:I'd like to ask for advice from those who managed to do it. What should I prepare? Are there any unexpected dangers?
Blitzing on a bicycle? Very dangerous. You can see the Outside.

But I suppose for somebody who bicycles on the moon, it's a piece of cake! (Or a scrumptious donut!)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

So many wings, so many trees, much wow.

I have nothing to say, as usual.
keep it up. I'll try to be creative and energetic next post.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Yay, we have diamonologue!
I hope Cuegan will react to your poem4, Rule110! Image

I present you some RELATED adventures from the OutsideH nonetheless, I guess :

I went to the beach and built a sandcastle2:
Spoiler:

I couldn't build it much taller than this. Possible reasons:

• There was too much mustard in the semencoffeecancerbaconbabies.
  • The size of the single pixels was too seaish.
  • I had 0.5D too much.

I visited some friends at the zoo:
Spoiler:

I spotted a dangerous place (WARNING: spoilered for your protection):
Spoiler:
I instantly followed the Third Commandment.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
P1040770.JPG
It's been fun, though!

P1040539.JPG

P1040468.JPG
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 am UTC

PREDICTABLEREACTIONG...
DOUBLEPOSTBECAUSEOFONG

ETA for pope: Before Landing Day (the highest holiday), there will be ritual building of sandcastles, which will subsequently be washed away with buckets of water. With this, all annoyances of the last yip will be symbolically removed, and the happy celebrations can begin. However, a small personal item (like a flutterbeewing or a grapevine) will be put on top of the sandcastle first, to remember the loss of the old home.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 am UTC

HES wrote:Hi Rule110! If you cuegan shippers really want so see some action you need to start pumping some music through the fourth wall. Or slip some Time after Time slash fiction onto mscha's server...

Hi!

If Lucky, the starry night, and running as one into the doomed Zanclean abyss didn't do it, a few bars of Barry White aren't going to make any difference. Music is all well and good, like a match that can light a fire, but in this case it would be like tossing a match at a volcano. (A volcano is big and does what it wants, whether that's staying dormant or erupting; outside forces don't have much chance of changing it either way.)

I'm thinking about TAT fiction, but slash isn't the direction I'm going right now... I suppose that could change :)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Treeish adventures, Zooman! Your friend at the zoo was particularly adorable :mrgreen:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”