1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 am UTC

WHIZZONGLY...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:31 am UTC

New Othercomic!

Wingish sandcastle, Zooman! :) You did well to RUN from the basement.
Awesomeful newpixbottification, balthasar! :D If you do indeed choose to blitz, I think your bicycle would be very helpful. I had some raptorcattish running shoes for a while, and those helped. Watch out for bumpy parts and time vortexes, though.

Rule110 wrote:Megan and Cueball, sittin' by a tree
(Doin') N-O-T-H-I-N-G.
First comes love, then comes marriage,
But not if they're stuck on blank-stare-age.

Perhaps they're just having difficulties reading each other's expressions. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:02 am UTC

ucim wrote:I had not however passed through Living in a Village, as I popped around using internal links rather than reading chronologically. I have now. Of interest; one unique thing about present society is that this is the only time where any human could have a conversation with any other human, except perhaps at the dawn of man, if such a dawn was through one tribe and "man" was sufficiently distinct at that time. Before radio and telephone, we were spread out too far to have a conversation, and after the colonization of Mars (if it ever happens) the speed of light will be limiting.

Don't be so pessimistic. Humans are remarkably adept at overcoming the shortcomings of physics. I believe instantaneous quantum communication through entanglement over long distances has already been proven, it's just a matter of hooking it up to the internet. And reducing packet loss - 99% deprecation is a bit of a hard sell.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote: I believe instantaneous quantum communication through entanglement over long distances has already been proven, it's just a matter of hooking it up to the internet.
Well, not quite. "Spooky action at a distance" has been shown. You could look at it as "the information that this particle is spin up has been transmitted faster than light", but that information belongs to the system, not to us. No information from the real world has been able to be encoded into the spin of the particle in question because we don't create its spin, we discover it.
Spoiler:
We check the spin (of paired particles) on one end, and it turns out that the spin is complementary on the other end. Every time. No matter how far away. But wait - there's more! Before checking the spin on the other end, you can run it through a spin-scrambler. This has a certain probability of changing the spin based on its setting. There is one probability curve if the spin was set before detection (i.e. when the paired particles were created), and another probability curve for the case where the particles didn't have a spin until one of them was detected (after which the other instantly acquires the complementary spin). Guess which one turns out to be the case.
It's like having the internet, but no leopards and no screens. Redundakitties all around, but we can't see them or post them.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:19 am UTC

ucim wrote:Redundakitties all around, but we can't see them or post them.

Spoiler:
*sad, sad meowlpy*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 am UTC

THONGIES...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:37 am UTC

Excellent question, Cueball.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

BRONGLE...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:ucim: I knew about posslq, but for some reason didn't include it in my list of alternatives. I pronounce it as you do, but have never liked it, perhaps because I never think of it when playing scrabble. In any event, I have lost the battle on squeeze; after a few weeks of using it to refer to my wife, it slipped back out of my vocabulary.
I like the word because of the way it sounds. It's lack of adoption however works against it. "Squeeze" however lacks weight, lacks gravitas. It has a sense of "mere pleasure" rather than that of a more long-lasting companionship.
The point is moot, because the world has ignored both of us (a shame; if it listened more to our brilliance it wouldn't be in as bad a shape), but 'posslq' never sounded that affectionate to me and affection is important when you are referring to your significant other. I'll grant you the gravitas, but for me affection trumps gravitas most of the time.

ucim wrote:I had not however passed through Living in a Village, as I popped around using internal links rather than reading chronologically. I have now. Of interest; one unique thing about present society is that this is the only time where any human could have a conversation with any other human, except perhaps at the dawn of man, if such a dawn was through one tribe and "man" was sufficiently distinct at that time. Before radio and telephone, we were spread out too far to have a conversation, and after the colonization of Mars (if it ever happens) the speed of light will be limiting.
There was the Toba eruption, where humanity got down to as few as 40 reproductive females (I assume they back traced mitochondrial DNA to get to that conclusion). Given my dating history, I would have been turned down by every eligible woman in the world.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

GONGLYMUS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote: I believe instantaneous quantum communication through entanglement over long distances has already been proven, it's just a matter of hooking it up to the internet.
Well, not quite. "Spooky action at a distance" has been shown. You could look at it as "the information that this particle is spin up has been transmitted faster than light", but that information belongs to the system, not to us. No information from the real world has been able to be encoded into the spin of the particle in question because we don't create its spin, we discover it.
Spoiler:
We check the spin (of paired particles) on one end, and it turns out that the spin is complementary on the other end. Every time. No matter how far away. But wait - there's more! Before checking the spin on the other end, you can run it through a spin-scrambler. This has a certain probability of changing the spin based on its setting. There is one probability curve if the spin was set before detection (i.e. when the paired particles were created), and another probability curve for the case where the particles didn't have a spin until one of them was detected (after which the other instantly acquires the complementary spin). Guess which one turns out to be the case.
It's like having the internet, but no leopards and no screens. Redundakitties all around, but we can't see them or post them.

Jose

Oh, well that's close enough. I give it 20 years until humanity is skyping with its Martian neighbors at speeds comparable to today's broadband. That is, assuming anyone gets to Mars by that point. GLR knows the Martians don't want anything to do with us.

ttscp wrote:
There was the Toba eruption, where humanity got down to as few as 40 reproductive females (I assume they back traced mitochondrial DNA to get to that conclusion). Given my dating history, I would have been turned down by every eligible woman in the world.

That was a rough time. Just goes to show, you humans are basically all one big happy family. Well, "happy" being a relative term. Dragon family reunions make the Vietnam War look tame.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

I'd have a redundakitty, but I can't get it to state its spin.
Spoiler:
Otter conjectures.jpg

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:

Jose

Oh, well that's close enough. I give it 20 years until humanity is skyping with its Martian neighbors at speeds comparable to today's broadband. That is, assuming anyone gets to Mars by that point. GLR knows the Martians don't want anything to do with us.

I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, the rules of quantum entanglement make it observation-only (i.e. you can change the spin of one entangled particle, but that doesn't change the other one - instead it breaks the entanglement.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, the rules of quantum entanglement make it observation-only (i.e. you can change the spin of one entangled particle, but that doesn't change the other one - instead it breaks the entanglement.)
Right. Spins are like the sea. They do what they want. Come to think of it, kittens are like the sea too, and they are easily entangled.

Jose

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

DONGER...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Lotta raptor and squirpy action in those trees - whoever is doing these, besides being a loopist (or just loopy), has put a lot of avianicity into it.

Jose

balthasar_s

Add Newpixbots to everything!

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

The NewpixbOTTification software is ready!
(http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info/pro/npb/npb.htm)

Now you can add Newpixbots to everything! All you have to do is to enter the URL of the image in the box. Enjoy.
Code can be downloaded from svn://bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info/npb (use "e" to login) or http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info/pro/npb.

@blitzing and bicycles:
I had to replace the inner tube in the rear wheel. I bought a new one:
I didn't know there are special ones for blitzing! It's all RELATED!

Redundant
Spoiler:
npbd.png
npbd.png (267 KiB) Viewed 17967 times

blitztb.JPG
blitztb.JPG (44.53 KiB) Viewed 17967 times

ETA: The server may be down for some time today or tomorrow.
Edited to fix URLs.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, the rules of quantum entanglement make it observation-only (i.e. you can change the spin of one entangled particle, but that doesn't change the other one - instead it breaks the entanglement.)

Can you change it without knowing its previous value? And what's more important, can you detect such a change?

balthasar_s wrote:The NewpixbOTTification software is ready!

Cool. [plug type="shameless"]But URL too long.[/plug]
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: Time After Time

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:DONGER...
Spoiler:
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

Bag to the future journey!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Cool. [plug type="shameless"]But URL too long.[/plug]

"newpixbottification.chirpingmustard.com" isn't a great deal better...
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 am UTC

THEBEESNAKESARESTILLCIRCLONG...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Hi, everymolpy! Just wanted to let you know I'm not in the basement. But I see I have only three pages to ketchup after 4 dips. :( Well, I'll just assume that, like me, everymolp was ties up with family for the holidips. Though hopefully not literally tied up. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to ketchup todip after rehearsal.

A brief glance in the OTT indicates that exciting stuff is happening in the mystery ONGs--I can('t) wait to see what it is!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Re: Add Newpixbots to Newpixbots!

Postby HES » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 am UTC

Hi lmjb! It has been awfully quiet these last few dips, but I'm sure things will pick up again in the new yip.

They WILL pick up. :evil: *glares at basement*

Is there a size constraint? I tried to NewpixbOTTify your NewpixbOTTification and it threw an angry newpixbot at me.

"Newpixbot" doesn't sound like a real word any more.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Treeish! Newpixbot bakes a lot better than I do! For you!

Cheers for the shared traditions on the last page - I may try to adopt one or two of those. :)
And maybe we can all share the Landing Day festivities next year.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
npbd_cookies.png
npbd-catCookies.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Some ketchup:
balthasar_s wrote:@blitzing and bicycles:
I had to replace the inner tube in the rear wheel. I bought a new one:
Spoiler:
I didn't know there are special ones for blitzing! It's all RELATED!

That's awesomeful, balthasar! I want blitz tubes, too! :mrgreen:
Also, molpish work on the newpixbottifier, that's very impressive!

Treeish OTTercomic, Jose!
ucim wrote:Come to think of it, kittens are like the sea too, and they are easily entangled.

Spoiler:
*meowlpy tangled up in yarn*
lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, everymolpy! Just wanted to let you know I'm not in the basement. But I see I have only three pages to ketchup after 4 dips. :( Well, I'll just assume that, like me, everymolp was ties up with family for the holidips. Though hopefully not literally tied up.

Yep, I'm with family for most of this wip, and my otting is severely impaired. My molpy army is looking at me anxiously.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:49 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Can you change it without knowing its previous value? And what's more important, can you detect such a change?

You can change one, but any change you make does not propagate to the other one. It's like if you had two molpies, and you weren't sure what sort they were; as soon as you got close enough to one to see, it would spontaneously pick a species (say, squirpy), and the other one would pick the same one; but, if you put a long tail on the first to change it into a molpython, the other one would still be a squirpy.

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:Come to think of it, kittens are like the sea too, and they are easily entangled.

Spoiler:
*meowlpy tangled up in yarn*

Do quantum kittens produce Cherenkov radiation?

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Do quantum kittens produce Cherenkov radiation?
Only when they're sad.

AluisioASG wrote:Can you change it without knowing its previous value? And what's more important, can you detect such a change?
When you create them, they are entangled, i.e. they have will end up having opposite spins. If you interact with one, the other will instantly have had the opposite spin. The spin of the one you interacted with changes due to your interaction, but the spin of the other does not. The entanglement is broken.

Jose

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:14 am UTC

I'm in a very good mood ready to celebrate this coming new year. Tonight I shall celebrate. Not only do I intend to carve an extra thick slice from my left-over Christmas baked bean, I'd like to share a few sandcastles with all the winners on this forum.

It's not the least I could do, but what the ch*rp, I'm a cat. I'm just not going to spend the extra effort working out how to do something less.

OK, just a tiny bit of effort.

Spoiler:
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:43 am UTC

I'm in an ottercomical mood:
Spoiler:
no time for redundakitties, but this is redundant, right?
thighs.png
she couldn't resist
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:30 am UTC

STRONGULATED...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Chirpy landing! Image
Molpish OTTercomic, ergman!

MistyCat wrote:It's not the least I could do, but what the ch*rp, I'm a cat. I'm just not going to spend the extra effort working out how to do something less.

OK, just a tiny bit of effort.
Spoiler:

You have learned well, dear blitzer.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I want blitz tubes, too! :mrgreen:

Spoiler:
Steakish finding, MistyCat! These are some seaish sandcastles!

Treeish OTThercomic, ergman!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 am UTC

SHOPLIFTONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

balthasar_s

Re: Add Newpixbots to Newpixbots to Newpixbots to Newpixbots

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 am UTC

HES wrote:Hi lmjb! It has been awfully quiet these last few dips, but I'm sure things will pick up again in the new yip.

Is there a size constraint? I tried to NewpixbOTTify your NewpixbOTTification and it threw an angry newpixbot at me.

I didn't create any artificial limit. The result is replaced with mpb.png whenever mustard happens anywhere in the NewpixbOTTification process. I got this without problems:
How did you try to do this?

Spoiler:
npbd.png
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am UTC

Happy new yip, everymolpy!
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Re: Add Newpixbots to Newpixbots to Newpixbots to Newpixbots

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
HES wrote:Hi lmjb! It has been awfully quiet these last few dips, but I'm sure things will pick up again in the new yip.

I didn't create any artificial limit. The result is replaced with mpb.png whenever mustard happens anywhere in the NewpixbOTTification process. I got this without problems:
How did you try to do this?

Spoiler:
npbd.png

I put the MustardPixBot in an NPB in an NPB.
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:04 am UTC

OrbitalFacePalm9001 wrote:Happy new yip, everymolpy!

Happy dip before the new yip? :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:32 am UTC

It's 2014O somewhereC right now: Happy New Yip to all ottersE

O Outside. Inside, it's around 23014. I have no idea what it is in the basement; it's too dark to tell.
C Christmas Island and New Zealand
E and everyone else

Edit: basement
Last edited by ttscp on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HES

Re: 1190: "Newmustardbot"

Postby HES » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:33 am UTC

Any projections for when we'll reach the newpage of yip?
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:It's 2014O somewhereC right now: Happy New Yip to all ottersE

O Outside. Inside, it's around 23014. I have no idea what it is in the basement; it's too dark to tell.
C Christmas Island and New Zealand
E and everyone else

Edit: basement

In that case,

O T T
Should OTTer avvy's be forgot
and never brought to mind?
Should OTTer avvy's be forgot,
Or days of O T T?

The O T T, my friends,
The O T T.
We'll make a thread with kindness yet,
The O T T.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”