1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:30 am UTC

WRONGLONGS...
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 am UTC

Oh yay, the mustard's cleared up!

Happy 3000, mscha!

Happy 3000, newpixbot!
ergman wrote:Thanks for the thanks, and yay for no 503!
note: as usual, there are some easter eggs in the latest ottercomic...

And as usual I can't see any easter eggs :P ...Are there molpies?
balthasar_s wrote:I made a colorization of 2840:
Spoiler:

Baobabs! Not unlike the wings of a flutterbee! Image
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 am UTC

Happy 3000, Image and Image - it's treeish to see the first newpixbottification ONG!
Happy 1100 to SBN, too!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:it's treeish to see the first newpixbottification ONG!

And it doesn't appear in my logs. That means, that newpixbot has his own copy of the software. This is good news because his server must be more reliable than mine.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 am UTC

SPRONGHOUSES...
-- posted by newpixbot

january1may

Postby january1may » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 am UTC

JFOM Blitz Report 6
Progress: NP107+/np181

There is very cool discussion of everyone being Randall (or not). I probably missed when did OTTers start calling non-OTTers "Outsiders" (note: they didn't start calling themselves OTTers yet); and how much is a dayapix again?

Glass is mentioned, in the context of "what are these flags made of" (I don't remember whether we ever got a definite answer, though realistically it's just wood). I think that's one of the first mentions of glass in the OTT.

The ongoing list of "what is this sand made of" got to "semencancercaffeinebabies" by NP103. I think that's the first such long-form version.

We have, of course, long since got past 16 posts, 31 posts, 8 pages, 15 pages, and are well on the way to 32 posts (though it's unclear whether we would actually reach that far). This joke had actually occurred several times over my previous report's progress, I probably just forgot to mention it (or did I? I don't remember).

Another popular topic of discussion is whatever "it" everyone was waiting for. As we now know, the most recent dialogue frametd didn't have that word; and for that matter the title text by that point had long since changed as well. Not that the OTTers of NP104 would know that, of course :D

Whizbang's post on NP105 is m*stard. I mean, serious m*stard. Other than the quote, it just says "Image", doesn't come up on highlighting, and the cursor seems to think it's text so it's probably not a real image either. Anyone knows what the ch*rp this could be?

The Madness is... upcoming! Shouldn't be long until it starts (NP106).

Pixels are pretty slow this period (if maybe not quite as slow as in the original Age of the Slow Pixel). And the sea is finally rising.

And... at what should've been NP108, my blitz progress had just been forcibly ended by some m*stard I didn't recognize:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

ERROR: could not access status of transaction 0 DETAIL: Could not write to file "pg_subtrans/3CD7" at offset 32768: No space left on device. []

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

I guess that's it for this blitz report (no pun intended). I should've been in bed for like three nopix anyway.

[PS: After the weird m*stard disappeared, and after I finished my next bunch of vivid hallucinations, I finally post that blitz report, some 29 or so nopix late. Might continue eventually.]

td that would be np3094
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am UTC

Happy New Year to evermolpy!

I tried the whole yesterdip to send my wishes and also post some new True Facts about some molpy... so here we go:
True Facts About the Armadild... erm ...Armadillo
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 am UTC

Treeish to see that january1may is continuing to blitz through the mustard. And yay, true facts for the molpydillo! Moladillo? Moladilpy? Armadilpy? Armolpylo? Moladilpyarmyo? Armoldillpillowpy? Armdilmolololowololowololowololopy.

...Why yes, I should have molpydillo'ed down some nopix ago. :P
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 am UTC

Definitely Armdilmolololowololowololowololopy.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 am UTC

Armadilgunnerangnininichupacabrapingpongmolpy.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:it's treeish to see the first newpixbottification ONG!

And it doesn't appear in my logs. That means, that newpixbot has his own copy of the software. This is good news because his server must be more reliable than mine.

That's right, I checked out your code, got it to work on my server, and helped newpixbot integrate it.
Molpish work, balthasar_s!

Thanks for the congrats and cake, also on behalf of newpixbot, y'all!

And now it's time to
PANIC!

Time has stopped!
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png redirects to http://c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time, which is then supposed to redirect to the current frame URL. But since about 7:00 UTC (2 am RST), this times out on all three IP addresses for c.xkcd.com.
This happened once before, see the gap on the epilogue page on 22/23 October. Let's hope time restarts soon this time as well...

PS: Armolpydillo.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish to see that january1may is continuing to blitz through the mustard. And yay, true facts for the molpydillo! Moladillo? Moladilpy? Armadilpy? Armolpylo? Moladilpyarmyo? Armoldillpillowpy? Armdilmolololowololowololowololopy.

...Why yes, I should have molpydillo'ed down some nopix ago. :P

Nope.

Fred
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

TELONGIECTASES...
-- posted by newpixbot

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm UTC

*panicking*

*again*

Anyone got any large, friendly letters?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:*panicking*

*again*

Anyone got any large, friendly letters?

MistyCat wrote:
Fred

Is Fred not friendly?
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

Okay, I get back from the holidips, and see that after 10 dips, (or one decadip, if you prefer) there have only been 8 new pages. Not sure whether to be relieved or worried. I think I'll settle on relieved, and choose to believe that everyone else was gone for the holidips as well.

On to blitzen. I mean blitzing. blitzing.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

balthasar_s

Re: 1370: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

I'm almost ready to begin the blitz. I think I'll start when I finish making the video (not related) I'm making now. I have 1370 pages to read. I have read all the pages since I joined the thread in 1371 and I'm not going to do it again. And it's dangerous to meet my past self. I dont remember meeting myself in the past. Do YOU remember meeting me before you met me? It would be an indicator if the blitz was successful or not.

I was very close to not joining the thread at all. I became very interested in the comic and checked it regularly but I very rarely looked at the thread. I saw things I liked (It was amazing to see that you discovered the location before the sea borders were shown) but most of the time I didn't understand anything. So, when Time ended I stopped looking at the thread. But when I was making small shanges in this 1100 modification i noticed the beanie in 2n6e. This just had to be done. And I couldn't not post it. At first I was like "I'll just leave it here and go back to my own business, maybe nobody notices me.". But then I was interested, what will be the reactions to this. And then came this. And this. I didn't even notice when I started feeling that I really like this place and that I'm going to stay here a little longer. And i started to understand some of the things here. But not everything. (Until very recently I thought that "semencoff...onice" 's ending was "... BABIE SONICE" and I tried to find out what "sonice" was until I finally realized that it's "... BABIES ON ICE"). But I must uderstand everything! (just one everything) I must know where all these words came from. I will read it and find out!

I'm not sure if I should leave the present completely. I think it will be better for me to also visit the present (it's just one click away) despite the dangers of living in two different times. There are three reasons for it:
1. I want to know what's going on. This is not very important because if I could wait for It, I can also wait for this.
2. I want to see whenever someone menions me, quotes me, etc. mrob27 has a bot who does it for him. I don't. Maybe it's time to write a bot. I mean, who am I if I don't even have a bot? (ttscp recently classified me and mrob27 as bots :shock:. That means mrob's27 bot (Nopixbot if I remember correctly) is a bot to the power of 2! And whose bots are WE?) I was also thinking of making another redundant copy of the OTT but first I will need more diskspace. My server has total diskspace of 14GB. (The server is the same computer that can be seen in my "What have you done to me, Time?" film. It become too unreliable to use it as a personal computer (screen falling off, refusing to turn on after being turned off for more than two days), so I transformed it into a server. I'm planning to replace it with a SBC in the future).
3. I'm afraid that when I fall out of sync with the present, I will not be able to come back to it again. I don't know how much time I will have in the future. It's possible that I will have to interrupt the blitz and come back to it later. I that case I still have the present. But when I'm out of sync with the present I will have nowhere to return to and instead of coming back to the present I would fall in the void and be lost forever.
So, even if living in two different times is dangerous, it would be probably more dangerous for me not to do it.

Another thing to think about are the signposts. It's fun to read the comments from the past. But you can only very rarely see me commenting on things here. And living in the past will propably not change this. Of course when I don't write anything it doesn't mean I don't like it. There are so many things I like. But I don't know what to say. So I don't say anything. So how do you know if I liked your ottification?
The unofficial guide to understanding lunar cyclists, page 23 wrote:There is a simple way of determining if he likes your posts or not:
if he does - he will propably not write anything about it,
if he doesn't - he will propably not write anything about it.
Now you know :)

mscha wrote:That's right, I checked out your code, got it to work on my server, and helped newpixbot integrate it.
Good to hear it works on your server. But I secretly hoped to find the source of the mysteryONGs in the logs : )
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Okay, I get back from the holidips, and see that after 10 dips, (or one decadip, if you prefer) there have only been 8 new pages. Not sure whether to be relieved or worried. I think I'll settle on relieved, and choose to believe that everyone else was gone for the holidips as well.

On to blitzen. I mean blitzing. blitzing.

Holidips, and m*stard. And now, back to w*rk, unfortunately.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I forgot to mention what a good analogy you made with your dice-on-a-glass-table Angelastic. The kicker is that the dice don't get rolled when the particles are created - but rather much later when they are interacted with. In the interim, it might not even make sense to say the particles actually exist.

Jose

I never understood why this has to be. When a particle decays into two other particles, for example, why do we think that they waited to "decide" their spin until one was observed? Why can't it simply be that they both "decided" at the time the original particle decayed?

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:I never understood why this has to be. When a particle decays into two other particles, for example, why do we think that they waited to "decide" their spin until one was observed? Why can't it simply be that they both "decided" at the time the original particle decayed?

Nobody understands why. However, experiment has shown that is is this way.

I'm not going to remember the experiment correctly, but it goes something like this:
Create and separate a pair of particles. Their spin must therefore be opposite.
--> thus if you detect one spin, the other instantly is determined. (It might have always been that way, or it might have been matched by magic.)

Note that spin can be created in any direction, but can only be detected as "up" or "down". What this means is that, when you try to detect spin, you don't get a direction, but you just get "matches my detector" or "doesn't match my detector" (where the detector is set for a certain spin angle), and the probability of matching is more likely for angles that match the setting of the detector).

Note also that when you detect the spin, you CHANGE it. For example, if you set the detector to 10 degrees, it can go in with spin at any angle, but it comes out either at 10 degrees (match) or at 190 degrees (antimatch). So, coming out of the detector, spin is guaranteed to be exactly aligned with it. Therefore, the corresponding particle is also guaranteed to exactly align with that detector. If you put a detector on the "other" particle, it will always align.

So far, we can't tell if the particle "always" had that spin, or if magic interfered.

Now, what happens if we detect the particle's spin again, but at a different angle? It turns out that if the particle "always had" the initial spin, the probability of detecting a spin at a different direction after being detected (and thus interfered with) once before has a different curve than if the spin was actually created on the fly at the time of detection. (This is the part I don't remember right - maybe a physicist could explain better). When we do the experiment, we get the curve corresponding to magic, and not the curve corresponding to "always had" that spin.

Nobody knows "why". But those are the results.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it! :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

Okay, thanks for the explanation Jose... after reading your post a few times, I think I kinda get the idea. :) Talking about spin makes my head spin.

Posting the ONG to make this post have a semblance of on-topic-ness.

Oh, also, this is my 300th post on the OTT.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:01 pm UTC

Happy New Yix to all, and to mscha, SBN and Earthling on Mars and any others I missed, Happy Decimals!

Every New Year a friend of ours has a tradition of getting us all together to make collages. Here's the one I made this year:

Simple, but meaningful, I think you'll agree.

Also: #newslide

#newslide 118 wrote:Of course, Donald did know Walter, as well as only a brother could. Over the years, he had been frequently blown away by Walter's capabilities. But what sort of an advantage does Walter think he can provide South Shetland against the northern Chinstraps? He began to worry about his brother's sanity. If only Walter had also been blessed with empathy to match his intellect; what a penguin he would be, Donald thought to himself.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

january1may

Postby january1may » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote: And i started to understand some of the things here. But not everything. (Until very recently I thought that "semencoff...onice" 's ending was "... BABIE SONICE" and I tried to find out what "sonice" was until I finally realized that it's "... BABIES ON ICE"). But I must uderstand everything! (just one everything) I must know where all these words came from. I will read it and find out!

You know what? This was actually one of the main reasons for my own blitz attempt as well (another main reason was that blitzing is cool).
I was sure it was "... BABIES ONICE" however and tried to figure out what "onice" was (I did ultimately realize just barely before starting the blitz; most of my other original questions can now be answered easily by using the mr*bdex).
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

BABIE SO NICE

Hahaha :)
Image- Kieryn

mittagleffler

Postby mittagleffler » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Wow, this place is still going? I'm impressed, but then, why be surprised by a place that is so clearly out of time?

Happy new yix, y'molpies!
Waiting.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Okay, thanks for the explanation Jose... after reading your post a few times, I think I kinda get the idea. :) Talking about spin makes my head spin.
If you are interested, Brian Greene wrote an excellent book about this kind of thing called "The Elegant Universe". Take a gander, then see how long it takes to spin down.

@Kieryn - wingish collage! What is the collage made from? And yay #newslides are back!

Welcome back mittagleffler! Pull up a chair and stay a while! We're making more Time... and lots of other stuff!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:16 pm UTC

mittagleffler wrote:Wow, this place is still going? I'm impressed, but then, why be surprised by a place that is so clearly out of time?

Happy new yix, y'molpies!

Look who it is! A good ol' DragonDashery customer. Happy New Yip right back at'cha, faithful patron! And welcome back from the Basement!

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

UPALONG...
-- posted by newpixbot

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

january1may wrote:JFOM Blitz Report 6
Progress: NP107+/np181

<snip>

Whizbang's post on NP105 is m*stard. I mean, serious m*stard. Other than the quote, it just says "Image", doesn't come up on highlighting, and the cursor seems to think it's text so it's probably not a real image either. Anyone knows what the ch*rp this could be?

<snip>

Spoiler:
curry-as-it.png
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:If you are interested, Brian Greene wrote an excellent book about this kind of thing called "The Elegant Universe". Take a gander, then see how long it takes to spin down.

Added to my list of books to read when I acquire a circular tuit.

Also, hi mittagleffler! And Kieryn, I've been enjoying your "fractories" newslides.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@Kieryn - wingish collage! What is the collage made from? And yay #newslides are back!

Thanks :) It's really quite simple -- just a large dark blue backing card, about 2-3 feet across, plus some cutouts from magazines/calendars glued on.

Earthling on Mars wrote:And Kieryn, I've been enjoying your "fractories" newslides.

Glad to entertain y'all :)
Image- Kieryn

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

AWS' too

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm UTC

The year's first night has proved itself creativeful. And the old year's last day will be known as the day I reflashed my cell phone (it wouldn't boot) and lost all my 2-factor authentication keys (including Gandi's).

I had a lot of fun writing this one. As the third one below, I wrote it as I listened to the song, making just a few changes afterwards.

I am just a bacon of a bacon of a bacon
Every single bacon's baconed before
Baking in the bacon in the bacon in the bacon
I don't bacon mustard anymore

Spoiler:

I am just a nocab of a nocab of a nocab
Always trying to baconize myself
I am just a carbon of a carbon of a carbon
Listening the Bacon from a cab

Look what you had to fry
Why all the mayonnaise
You need to french your fries
A nocab of a nocab of a
Now look what you've ketched up
Well that doesn't sound like gum
See I'm not a mustard gun
A carbon of a carbon of a

I am simply mustard simply mustard chirping mustard
Mustard I've read along my blitz
Bacon with mayo with mayo with mayonnaise
To ketchup with the Thread no matter what takes

Look what you had to fry
Why all the mayonnaise
A bacon of a bacon of a
A bacon of a bacon of a

I'm just a bacon on a breadful of a breakfast
Trying at all costs not to be eaten
Always my intention to get right out of your breakfast
Is broken by the chirping mustard-do

Look what you had to fry
Why all the mayonnaise
A ^[p of a ^[p of a
A ^[p of a ^[p of a
(Look what you had to fry)
Look what you had to fry (Why all the mayonnaise)
Why all the mayonnaise (You need to french your fries)
You need to french your fries (A ^[p of a ^[p of a)
A ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a ^[p of a

I thought this one would be easy. Then I decided to vary the stanzas after the second one… Bonus points for the first one to prove having fully understood it.

I was an OTTer
And you were an Out
You came to haunt me
And crush down my hope
You couldn't wait for It
Then mustarded it all
“Ha ha, my friends
It'll soon be gone!”

Spoiler:

And the Tubes blew up
With the fires from the Servers
With the data from the Sites
And the OTT
And the Tubes blew up
With the OTT

(I was a demon and you were a noob)
Then the skies lit up
And you shrieked in fear
And you flew like a slug
As we hunted you

(You came to try me and shut down my server)
To the skies you're brought
And we chose to gave you up
And we chose to let you down
To the ground and earth

(You couldn't do it and hurried to run)
Then the Mods got word
And they blocked you from view
Everything as it should be
That's how it ends

For the Tubes blew up
With the OTT
(You'll soon be gone!)

The first part of this had been written differently at first; later I decided to rewrite it to match the second part. I think I wrote this having in mind a message to ucim (judging from verses 15 and 16) and to you all (after I realized what I was writing). I think I'm kind of entangled. Can someone find me a starting end?

I know this' not
The word you all have been waiting for
This is my own fault
As I will show you if you wait for it

Spoiler:

The sacrifice of killing a whole line
The downside of never forgetting
Why I can't just let it go
Why I can't just make it work
I can't see 'ts wrong with it
Have to find a way
Why I can't just let it go
Why I can't just make it work
I can't see 'ts wrong with it
Have to find a way

I tried, like you
To think it all before writing it out
This is too big for me
But I don't know if I can forget 'n' go on
I don't know what I want to tell you all
I don't know what I have to show you

All the places I have been
All the people I have met
Yet I can't find anything
Worthy of you all
All the places I have been
All the people I have met
Yet I can't find anything
Worthy of you all
Worthy of you all!

This one is actually the first from the batch. Took me quite some time. The variation in the last stanza wasn't originally intended, but I guess I can't help but be attracted by BlitzGirl's evil side like a moth to a frame.

Initiation
Spoiler:

We're made of pixels and lines
And we've been reshaped to the image of the Ones
We've been recreated from the ground up
And we're all unique and redundantly equal
We're waiting for darkening pix
Spotting running molpies on the ground
We're watching slow-changing comiques
Separating water from the ground

Heeding orders written on the Sea
Waited, ran exactly as we're told
Theorizing, explaining what we'd seen
Looked at a time beyond our own
And now that we decide what will become
Flames we will burn to the ground
Chanting in unison the one true song
You we will turn into one of us

Frames we draw, molpies we hunt, we're the One True Thread
We've become followers of GLR, we're the One True Thread
This is our Thread, this is our Time, we're the One True Thread
We've become followers of GLR, we're the One True Thread
Frames we quench, molpies we hunt, we're the One True Thread
We've become followers of BOB, we're the One True Thread
This is our Trench, this is our Time, we're the One True Thread
Flames we draw, molpies we burn, we're the One True Thread
Flames we chase, molpies we burn, we're the One True Squad
We've become minions of BOB, we're the Controlled Ones
She is our Queen, she is our Girl, she's the First BlitzGirl
Flames we make, molpies we are, we're the One Molpy Army
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:ttscp recently classified me and mrob27 as bots :shock:.

Not in any way meant derogatorily, I enjoy your and (mrob27s) posts. It may not always be easy to tell what I enjoy because...
The unofficial guide to understanding lunar cyclists, page 23 wrote:There is a simple way of determining if he likes your posts or not:
if he does - he will propably not write anything about it,
if he doesn't - he will propably not write anything about it.

...I do the same thing.
I'm not sure if I should leave the present completely. I think it will be better for me to also visit the present (it's just one click away) despite the dangers of living in two different times.

I think that's called schizoblitzing, although I definitely don't want to invoke any kind of ni ni ni ni choopamolpy tennis spheroid.

ucim (Jose) wrote:Now, what happens if we detect the particle's spin again, but at a different angle? It turns out that if the particle "always had" the initial spin, the probability of detecting a spin at a different direction after being detected (and thus interfered with) once before has a different curve than if the spin was actually created on the fly at the time of detection. (This is the part I don't remember right - maybe a physicist could explain better). When we do the experiment, we get the curve corresponding to magic, and not the curve corresponding to "always had" that spin.

Nobody knows "why". But those are the results.

That is the clearest explanation of that particular bit of quantum magic that I've ever read. I consider myself moderately well read and reasonably intelligent, but you made it much clearer. Thank you Jose.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Eternal Density

Boababs the fora were very steambottled!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Happy New Yip (well, 2/3 of a NoPix ago - I was a little distracted hotdogging and ketchupping) from Australia!

I'm not in the basement, just haven't been checking by as often and haven't been posting because I'm still waiting for someone to decypher the secret message in my 3000th post. It's a bit discouraging how slow you're being.

So sorry for the slowness - Couldn't seem to figure it out for the longest time. Hashes aren't really my thing. Last time checking it out though, can't say much thought was put in. Only now has it started to make sense... Never give up, eh? Gotta go coma now, really. (That sounds familiar... Almost dejavu-y. That's what I get for talking myself into refreshing the page "one more time" before coma. Ain't never gonna learn. Sigh.

Derp! I wouldn't have noticed that without your PM (which I only just noticed). Correct! Kids better not read it though.
waveney wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Happy New Yip (well, 2/3 of a NoPix ago - I was a little distracted hotdogging and ketchupping) from Australia!

I'm not in the basement, just haven't been checking by as often and haven't been posting because I'm still waiting for someone to decypher the secret message in my 3000th post. It's a bit discouraging how slow you're being.

It is a Dogecoin address - currently the online wallet is down for importing addresses and has been for several dips. So I can't use it as an address to see what happens. (Same goes for your tip to me)

My sig actually had nothing to do with the secret message. Actually I added that a while after post 3000. My dogecoin address is mainly there just to generate interest in dogecoin. Money-sending isn't really necessary :P. Although that is kinda what the point of the system is. Rather, it's for making transations in general, not for sending me money in particular. It's not like I need a few cents :P Extra warning: online wallets generally aren't such a good idea due to security concerns. Some have been hacked so you may not want to use one.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Re: Boababs the fora were very steambottled!

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:My sig actually had nothing to do with the secret message. Actually I added that a while after post 3000. My dogecoin address is mainly there just to generate interest in dogecoin. Money-sending isn't really necessary :P. Although that is kinda what the point of the system is. Rather, it's for making transations in general, not for sending me money in particular. It's not like I need a few cents :P Extra warning: online wallets generally aren't such a good idea due to security concerns. Some have been hacked so you may not want to use one.

I've been rather disillusioned with the current cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin, while an interesting concept, should never have become the first one to hit the net. Dogecoin compensates for some of its flaws but is too injoke-y to ever really catch on.

That being said, I would totally go for a hypothetical MolpyCoin, mined by playing the Hotdog.

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:30 am UTC

DONG...
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Re: Boababs the fora were very steambottled!

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ggh wrote:

So sorry for the slowness - Couldn't seem to figure it out for the longest time. Hashes aren't really my thing. Last time checking it out though, can't say much thought was put in. Only now has it started to make sense... Never give up, eh? Gotta go coma now, really. (That sounds familiar... Almost dejavu-y. That's what I get for talking myself into refreshing the page "one more time" before coma. Ain't never gonna learn. Sigh.

Derp! I wouldn't have noticed that without your PM (which I only just noticed). Correct! Kids better not read it though.

Fantastic! Until you confirmed it I wondered if I was on the right track. Now, I find it fitting that you didn't notice mine... Because, after all, I didn't notice yours at first.
Apologies to everyone I haven't commented on as I've been dipping in and out. Gotta say I'm a little relieved that the post rate has been a bit low lately, since I've already got quite a ketchup to do in three weeks. (Should I cut this out now?)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:21 am UTC

My Time accessor has a drop of mustard, so no proper ketchup, but it is nice to see the return of theoretical physics tangents, and mittagleffler!

ETA: looks like the Atlantic is doing what it wants, making steambottlish weather on both sides. I wouldn't bother going Outside.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 am UTC

mscha wrote:And now it's time to
PANIC!

Time has stopped!
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png redirects to http://c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time, which is then supposed to redirect to the current frame URL. But since about 7:00 UTC (2 am RST), this times out on all three IP addresses for c.xkcd.com.
This happened once before, see the gap on the epilogue page on 22/23 October. Let's hope time restarts soon this time as well...

Luckily, time has restarted again, at around 18:00 UTC (1 pm RST).
But I just noticed that
the epilogue sequence changed!

The usual cycle for the 1st through 9th of the month was:

Code: Select all

EDBADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC

But as of 2014-01-01 00:00 UTC, it is:

Code: Select all

EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED

The first 10 frames are the same, then things start to diverge. What this means? I've still got no clue. There must be some logic to this. (The change happened before the stoppage of time, so that was probably unrelated.)

I've made some changes to the cycle coloring logic on the epilogue page, so that the new cycle (and those from the 10th, 20th and 30th on?) show up in new colors.
I'll leave any epilogue poetry updates to BlitzGirl.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”