1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:41 am UTC

mscha wrote:But as of 2014-01-01 00:00 UTC, it is:
EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED
The first 10 frames are the same, then things start to diverge. What this means? I've still got no clue.
I find it interesting that it occurred on the first day of the heretical new yip. It seems that the GLR considers 3 partywips (to be canonically named later) to be a date of significance. I'll see to it that the Pope brings this up in his Grand Canonical Ensemble.

edit: Oh... it seems I am the Pope! I guess that means I optionally have to come up with an optional decree to be ignored later. :) The Pope is wondering whether or not the Cuegan will run into the Hill People. Speculation and other imaginations will be welcome.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Re: Boababs the fora were very steambottled!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:01 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Happy New Yip (well, 2/3 of a NoPix ago - I was a little distracted hotdogging and ketchupping) from Australia!

I'm not in the basement, just haven't been checking by as often and haven't been posting because I'm still waiting for someone to decypher the secret message in my 3000th post. It's a bit discouraging how slow you're being.

So sorry for the slowness - Couldn't seem to figure it out for the longest time. Hashes aren't really my thing. Last time checking it out though, can't say much thought was put in. Only now has it started to make sense... Never give up, eh? Gotta go coma now, really. (That sounds familiar... Almost dejavu-y. That's what I get for talking myself into refreshing the page "one more time" before coma. Ain't never gonna learn. Sigh.

Derp! I wouldn't have noticed that without your PM (which I only just noticed). Correct! Kids better not read it though.

Fantastic! Until you confirmed it I wondered if I was on the right track. Now, I find it fitting that you didn't notice mine... Because, after all, I didn't notice yours at first.
Apologies to everyone I haven't commented on as I've been dipping in and out. Gotta say I'm a little relieved that the post rate has been a bit low lately, since I've already got quite a ketchup to do in three weeks. (Should I cut this out now?)

Now? I suppose so. People may think it's inappropriate. Perhaps I'm taking it too far.
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:My sig actually had nothing to do with the secret message. Actually I added that a while after post 3000. My dogecoin address is mainly there just to generate interest in dogecoin. Money-sending isn't really necessary :P. Although that is kinda what the point of the system is. Rather, it's for making transations in general, not for sending me money in particular. It's not like I need a few cents :P Extra warning: online wallets generally aren't such a good idea due to security concerns. Some have been hacked so you may not want to use one.

I've been rather disillusioned with the current cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin, while an interesting concept, should never have become the first one to hit the net. Dogecoin compensates for some of its flaws but is too injoke-y to ever really catch on.

That being said, I would totally go for a hypothetical MolpyCoin, mined by playing the Hotdog.
Like the idea of using a cryptocurrency in a hotdog. Except not a fully-clientside one like Sandcastle Builder. Soon as someone notices the Javascript they could do whatever.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 am UTC

My ketchup has been a bit disjointed. Started on this computer, but didn't save a draft. Then the major m*stard hit. ("I am the very model of a modern major m*stard...") Then today I did some more ketchup at work on that computer, but didn't post it. then came back to this computer to post this, so I'm a bit confused about where I am. Mostly ketched up, thanks to the slow post rate, but the rest of my ketchup post will have to wait till I'm back at my other computer.

marchlight wrote:Merry Cueganmas everyone! Here's a present my boyfriend found: OTTers molpy hunting.

Marchlight! Treeish to see you, and d'aww video.

micdi wrote:cool stuff

Hm, I quoted a post from micdi, but can't remember if there was something specific I wanted to refer to. I think I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying xis posts.

Laser Plumb wrote:de-lurking to say: Silly Solstice to all, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Kwazy Kwanzaa, Happy Chanuka (though it was 4 weeks ago) ... Happy Pastafarian Holiday, & a Festivus for the Rest of us ... Season's Greetings ... Party Hardy ..

Hi, LaserPlumb!

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Treeish OTThercomic, HES, but I'm sorry about the flooding. I hope it's not too bad and gets under control soon. :(

Thanks. It wasn't too severe, but it was unusually bad in my area - it was a little weird seeing my local towns in the national news. The main routes north, south and west were all blocked so it took my relatives a little longer than it should have to get here. Regardless, we had a molpish time as I hope did the rest of you!

Glad to hear it. :)

jovialbard wrote:Hope all the OTTers had an awesomefull cueganmas! And may your new year be like unto a boabab!

eta: ooo, who's doing the new time after time?

The $64,000 question...
Nice that the holidips have brought out so many OTTers. I see Kieryn has been around as well. Awesomeful!

svenman wrote:*wakes up, slightly disorientedly*

*looks around himself* Where am I? This looks like a... basement?

Spoiler:
Oh boy. Now I remember. I'd already focused more on my work on the OTW and less on posting to the OTT, and then I was experiencing increasing computer mustard which eventually resulted in me having to buy a new computer. Around the same time, outside developments of a not altogether unpleasant kind led to a realignment of my priorities. Something had to give, and in the result I just wasn't able to continue giving the OTT and OTW the same dedication anymore as I had done during the previous mips.

So yeah, here it is. Any blitzes and ketchups that I still had open are now officially called off and will remain incomplete. I will probably continue to have a look at the OTT and/or OTW every now and then, but can't promise anything.

At any rate, the OTC and this community that developed around it have been a fascinating part of my life for quite a while. Thank you all!

Before I see myself back to the basement, here's something that I wrote in a different forum a little over a year ago, and given that it is still the evening of Boxing Day for many of you, I hope it is still appropriate. Maybe it will interest some of you too.

svenman wrote:[...]I'll start telling you about how we celebrate Christmas in Germany, especially comparing and contrasting with Christmas in America. Of course, there is quite a bit of variation among Christmas traditions in Germany, be it from region to region, between areas or families that are traditionally Protestant or Roman Catholic or just traditions that vary individually from family to family.

The basics, of course, are the same as in the English-speaking world: Christmas is originally a Christian religious holiday, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ (although the Bible doesn't state at which time of the year it actually was). While there long has been a tradition of giving presents to children at Christmas, this has expanded into a tradition of exchanging presents even among adults during the last century and consequently Christmas has become a huge frenzy of consumerism, like all over the western world. But even for those who have lost touch with or for other reasons do not celebrate the religious aspect of Christmas, it is generally regarded as a very family-oriented holiday which should preferably be celebrated in large family units, bringing together even family members who live apart the rest of the year.

Here in Germany, the presents are traditionally exchanged on Christmas Eve, and that marks the high point of Christmas. Ask any German for the date of Christmas, and (with the possible exception of a few pedants) they will without fail answer "December 24th". The Christmas tree is probably the one part of German Christmas tradition that has made its way most successfully into Christmas customs all over the world. In a traditional setting, the Christmas tree would be put up in the living room and decorated on the 24th by the adults in the family, with the children being forbidden to enter the room (or locked out), but this is not strictly adhered to in most families anymore. According to a widespread tradition, the Christmas tree is maintained in the living room until Epiphany (January 6th), at which date it is taken down and discarded.

The Christmas presents, wrapped in gift paper, are placed under the Christmas tree. The handing out of the presents, die Bescherung, is on the evening of the 24th. The traditionally supposed bringer of the presents varies between different traditions, in Southern Germany it tends to be das Christkind (literally the Christ Child - but strangely, more of an angel-like character separate from the actual Baby Jesus), known in America also as Kriss Kringle. In other parts of Germany the presents are generally brought by der Weihnachtsmann, the German equivalent of Father Christmas or Santa Claus. Of course, nowadays it usually is openly stated that the presents really come from other family members - except maybe if small children are present.

But before that, it is an absolute must that everybody join in singing a couple of Christmas carols together! Among the perennial favourites are Stille Nacht (Silent Night in the original Klin-, uh, German), O Tannenbaum, O du fröhliche, Alle Jahre wieder, Ihr Kinderlein kommet and Kling, Glöckchen, Kling.

Food, of course, is a big issue. Most deeply rooted in tradition, to the point of having become proverbial, is die Weihnachtsgans, the Christmas goose served on Christmas eve. In practice, this is often replaced by a duck or a turkey, or by a roast. However, some families go a different way and make a point of having a Christmas dinner that doesn't mean a lot of work for the family member in charge of food (i. e. traditionally the housewife), at least not on the actual holiday, like Wiener sausages and potato salad.

Baking is also widely done in preparation for Christmas. Small Christmas cookies of several types are an absolute must for every household, with the actual types varying widely from family to family. Larger cakes that are also popular for the Christmas season (and in many families only made at this time of the year) include Christstollen and Linzer Torte.

Christmas is one of the two occasions in the year (the other being Easter) when many only casually religious people go to church who aren't in the habit of doing so regularly otherwise. Some churchgoers choose services on the afternoon or evening of Christmas Eve, some attend midnight mass and others again go to church on Christmas Day, of course also depending on the services held by the local church of the appropriate denomination.

Except for mountain regions, "white Christmas" more often than not remains elusive in Germany, as climate patterns in central Europe often provide for a warm spell in the second half of December. This year it is especially pronounced, with temperatures in the high Celsius teens (that would be the sixties for you Fahrenheit believers out there). But then again, two years ago we had snow for Christmas in huge amounts, and frankly, I prefer spending my holidays not shoveling snow. :)

To conclude, here are a few things which many readers from the English-speaking world may consider familiar parts of their Christmas traditions but which aren't in Germany: Presents in stockings, on the fireplace or otherwise; Santa Claus (or whoever the mythical bringer of presents is) coming through the chimney; holly; mistletoe; kisses under the mistletoe; caroling in the English tradition (i. e. carols sung by groups of children going from house to house - although there is a similar tradition on Epiphany - January 6th - in Catholic regions in Germany); getting drunk on eggnog; and, most definitely, red-nosed reindeer.

If you celebrate Christmas, or happen to celebrate another holiday at this time of the year, I wish you've been and still are having a happy one!

Treeish post by svenman. Did someone manage to grab him before he headed to the basement again?

Treeish ottification, ChronosDragon. I'm sure other OTTers as well, but I don't seem to have saved them.

Eternal Density wrote:No one seems to have deciphered my hidden messages yet :(Oh and this is yet another example of me seeing the OTTification first.

D'oh! I thought it would be harder. Rather, more difficult :D . Totally expected it to be like Aluisio's. Yep, I got it.

Wait, ggh did it too? Oh, I see. Really should have noticed it sooner, I guess. Does this mean you can start posting normally now, ED? Sure hope so!

january1may wrote:H okay, okay, "riverish" - though that makes it sound a lot bigger than it probably is

Well, if riversish is small, I guess creekish would be tiny. I'm enjoying your blitz reports, january1may!

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:This makes no sense at all.
... which means it must be true. :)
AluisioASG wrote:But there must be other Popes of the Holy Contradiction, because you are the only Pope of the Holy Contradiction.
Does that make sense?
Spoiler:

Yes, the OTT can do whatever it wants. As long as it isn't overcome by m*stard. Or squirpies, apparently.

SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:@Jose: Treeish pope-manips and French redundakitty! For that I will forgive the horrific "Canther Salve" pun (shouldn't it have been "Canther Thalve"?)

Thought of you as we were playing a new game tonight. The game is Faux-cabulary, and one of the cards we had was "The ability to sense a pun before it is made."

SBN, enjoyed your ottities. I also didn't know "You are My Sunshine" had more than those two verses.

ttscp wrote:The OTT is consistently in the top three threads of the fora, and frequently the top thread.
I'm only good for random thoughts of late. Never enough to post and always just a little bit late.
Spoiler:
I am here in the present, at least I don't think I'm in the basement, I never said I was leaving,
which is interesting, since I was one one of the earliest proponents of a never ending OTT, or at least one that would go on comfortably, if not for a thousand lifetimes, at least for long enough to outlive many of us otters, not counting Neil,
which is ironic, since I was also one of the earliest members of the endianE church of the OTC, even unto predicting the newpix on which it would end (give or take a few hundred),
but the OTC is the product of oneG, where the OTT is a product of many:
Who, in a thousand lifetimes, would predict that there would be a game based on the OTC?
Or that ottifications would continue and be the first place I and others would see the other comic?
Or that the punsaw would actually increase the frequency of puns?
You might have been able to predict based on fanfiction, that Time after Time, would appear.
Or that old otters would stop by, just to wish us greetings during this season.

That we are the top, means that in addition to former otters being pulled back by the warmth they found here,
we attract new otters from the rest of the foraN,
perhaps not as many as when the comic was up,
but, we also have the HotDog, generating another curious trickle.

I would call it an otter core that maintains the flow, but the core keeps changing
when BlitzGirl is temporarily sidelined (oh so rarely), there is yappo,
when yappo is not singing, there is Eternal Density,
when the Outside gets too heavy for ED, there are azule, Zooman, lmjb1964, HES, SBN,
the dragons (chronos, aluisio, dracomax),
the bots (mrob, balthasar - based more on prolificity of output than mechanical nature of posts),
the returnees and newblitzers (MistyCat, pelrigg),
and through it all ucim puntificates on everything, and mscha or the newpixbot keeps posting
no matter who creates the mystery ongs.

Will we maintain the flow a thousand lifetimes? Perhaps not -
everything must end, even the universe, even our galaxy, sun and earth,
beside which durations our alloted time is small -
but for the OTT to continue more than a year or two, easy.
I give it ten years at least, by which time I'll be oldO and grey
but still here, Inside in the present.

Speaking of greetingsG, I will add mine to the list.
A little late, for Christmas, more on time for New Years, but warmly felt all the same.

ttscp, this is a lovely post.

MistyCat wrote:For Decree.
My favourite holiday tradition.

Zip. Nada. Zilch. I am the cat who walks alone.

That's not necessarily a good thing.

:( Well, I'm glad you're here with us, anyway!

Rule110 wrote:Megan and Cueball, sittin' by a tree
(Doin') N-O-T-H-I-N-G.
First comes love, then comes marriage,
But not if they're stuck on blank-stare-age.

:D

ergman wrote:So many wings, so many trees, much wow.

I have nothing to say, as usual.
keep it up. I'll try to be creative and energetic next post.

And, as usual, this post is not nothing. :)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Can't change email cuz passwd no match?

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:D'oh! I thought it would be harder. Rather, more difficult :D . Totally expected it to be like Aluisio's. Yep, I got it.

I took a quick look at it. Noticed something I can't quite put my finger on.

And apparently there are sites that do not allow you to delete your account (not without calling support, at least; but I don't like to talk with people).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 am UTC

mscha wrote:Luckily, time has restarted again, at around 18:00 UTC (1 pm RST).
But I just noticed that
the epilogue sequence changed!

The usual cycle for the 1st through 9th of the month was:

Code: Select all

EDBADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC

But as of 2014-01-01 00:00 UTC, it is:

EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED

The first 10 frames are the same, then things start to diverge. What this means? I've still got no clue. There must be some logic to this. (The change happened before the stoppage of time, so that was probably unrelated.)

I've made some changes to the cycle coloring logic on the epilogue page, so that the new cycle (and those from the 10th, 20th and 30th on?) show up in new colors.
I'll leave any epilogue poetry updates to BlitzGirl.

Yay! for more analysis! and
Yay! for more poetry!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 am UTC

BONGED...
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:47 am UTC

mscha wrote:
mscha wrote:And now it's time to
PANIC!

Time has stopped!
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png redirects to http://c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time, which is then supposed to redirect to the current frame URL. But since about 7:00 UTC (2 am RST), this times out on all three IP addresses for c.xkcd.com.
This happened once before, see the gap on the epilogue page on 22/23 October. Let's hope time restarts soon this time as well...

Luckily, time has restarted again, at around 18:00 UTC (1 pm RST).
But I just noticed that

EDBADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC

EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED

The first 10 frames are the same, then things start to diverge. What this means? I've still got no clue. There must be some logic to this. (The change happened before the stoppage of time, so that was probably unrelated.)

I've made some changes to the cycle coloring logic on the epilogue page, so that the new cycle (and those from the 10th, 20th and 30th on?) show up in new colors.

Ever on time marches
Doing what ever it wants
Based on GLR knows
And we just think we see patterns,
Deliberation in it's jaunt.

Even ere the end it marches
Carried by the sand and sea
By the resonant seeds it sows
Carried on by you and me
Buried in my mind it glows
And in each creation burns.

Echoing madly, still it marches;
Consistent inconsistency
Black and white humble pixel rows.
Deliver Cuegan; gaunt;
Around them the sea churns
Doing whatever it wants:
Catalyst, and allegory:
Depressing mortality haunts.
Challenged only by the
Dependent servers, taunt,
By a comic that still shows

Endlessly it marches,
Defiantly it flaunts.

note: Written line by line, it ain't that poetic, watch out!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 am UTC

Othercomic's up! It's another computery one I don't get :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 am UTC

An explanation, and an OTTercomic:

In functional programming (that is, programming in which EVERYTHING is a function - the difference between that and OOP is somewhat difficult to explain), "side effects" are things which a function does which change the state of the program that are unrelated to the function's purpose. For example, if I had a function called AddNumbers(a, b), it should return a + b without also setting some other variable, let's call it Molpy, to something else. If it did make a change like that, it would be called a "side effect."

Haskell is a "pure" functional language, and it's known for perceived as being very purist and functional but not very usable and very rarely deployed in a commercial application. Hence the joke - no one's making side effects from haskell functions because no one is running haskell functions.

OTTification:
The problem with the OTT is that it's got its own language and nobody's bothering to learn it.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:15 am UTC

Yeah I figured out what the joke was, I just had never heard of Haskell ;) (And steakish ottification!)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

I can't stop doing it!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 am UTC

Cool OtherComic. Or AuthorComic. I got it right away :D. That explains why StormAngel mentioned Haskell to me earlier. Um, gotta go eat dinner now. So I guess it's Molpy Munch Time.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

tWoolie

Postby tWoolie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:03 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Haskell is a "pure" functional language, and it's known for being very purist and functional but not very usable and very rarely deployed in a commercial application.

Haskell is a very usable language. People write all kinds of useful programs in it every day.
  • The Haxl project at Facebook is using Haskell to fight spam.
  • Joyride labs used Haskell to write a for-profit cross-platform platformer called Nikki and the Robots.
There's even a wealth of companies who attribute their success to Haskell https://www.fpcomplete.com/page/case-studies

It bothers me that people are still spreading FUD about Haskell based on a historical perception that "purity != usefulness".

Sidenote: Quite a bit of the xkcd infrastructure is written in Haskell. http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comment ... ind_xkcds/

davean wrote:Many parts of xkcd are implemented with Haskell. A short list includes:
  • dynamic.xkcd.com (though it is unloved and in need of a rewrite, using an old, old version of happstack - a rewrite on WAI exists and will be deployed soonish)
  • Umwelt, which will be merged with dynamic.xkcd.com soon; described above.
  • pbfcomics.com which we host and somewhat maintain. Based on WAI, feed, and HStringTemplate (mistake due to the Haskell implementation of StringTemplate).
  • holistic.xkcd.com a quick joke site using WAI, digestive-functors (plus internal digestive-functors-wai that needs to be open sourced), the leveldb bindings, and for spam checking http-conduit.
  • Tools for interacting with our hosting provider voxel.net (downloads logs, purges CDN, etc). (release need to release these)
  • Some business admin tools.
  • Two new sites that haven’t been released yet. One of which is written using Hakyll.

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 am UTC

SONGBIRD...
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

Oh noes mscha has a couple more posts than I

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:32 am UTC

tWoolie wrote:
Sidenote: Quite a bit of the xkcd infrastructure is written in Haskell. http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comment ... ind_xkcds/

davean wrote:Many parts of xkcd are implemented with Haskell. A short list includes:
  • dynamic.xkcd.com (though it is unloved and in need of a rewrite, using an old, old version of happstack - a rewrite on WAI exists and will be deployed soonish)
  • Umwelt, which will be merged with dynamic.xkcd.com soon; described above.
  • pbfcomics.com which we host and somewhat maintain. Based on WAI, feed, and HStringTemplate (mistake due to the Haskell implementation of StringTemplate).
  • holistic.xkcd.com a quick joke site using WAI, digestive-functors (plus internal digestive-functors-wai that needs to be open sourced), the leveldb bindings, and for spam checking http-conduit.
  • Tools for interacting with our hosting provider voxel.net (downloads logs, purges CDN, etc). (release need to release these)
  • Some business admin tools.
  • Two new sites that haven’t been released yet. One of which is written using Hakyll.
Very interesting thanks

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 am UTC

tWoolie wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Haskell is a "pure" functional language, and it's known for being very purist and functional but not very usable and very rarely deployed in a commercial application.

Haskell is a very usable language. People write all kinds of useful programs in it every day.
  • The Haxl project at Facebook is using Haskell to fight spam.
  • Joyride labs used Haskell to write a for-profit cross-platform platformer called Nikki and the Robots.
There's even a wealth of companies who attribute their success to Haskell https://www.fpcomplete.com/page/case-studies

It bothers me that people are still spreading FUD about Haskell based on a historical perception that "purity != usefulness".

Pardon my ignorance - I've only done cursory research on the subject. It is quite a fascinating language, really, but difficult for a lot of people to get into. I get the feeling Randall's comic is a bit of self-deprecating humor - he seems to love the more "esoteric" (though, as shown here, the degree of this may be largely perceptual and not actual) languages and concepts.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:40 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Haskell is a "pure" functional language, and it's known for being very purist and functional but not very usable and very rarely deployed in a commercial application. Hence the joke - no one's making side effects from haskell functions because no one is running haskell functions.

In a bit of a defense of Haskell: The great pandoc document converter is written in haskell (not a comercial application though).
ETA: Heavily ninja'd....
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:46 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Haskell is a "pure" functional language, and it's known for being very purist and functional but not very usable and very rarely deployed in a commercial application. Hence the joke - no one's making side effects from haskell functions because no one is running haskell functions.

In a bit of a defense of Haskell: The great pandoc document converter is written in haskell (not a comercial application though).
ETA: Heavily ninja'd....

Yeah, I have nothing against Haskell - I'm sure it's been used for some fascinating stuff. Just a bit of a misconception at my end (and, probably, a few others). That Pandoc converter looks pretty cool, by the way - and just the sort of tool that works exquisitely in a functional programming paradigm, I'm led to understand (something something unix pipes).

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 am UTC

Thanks for the computery explanations, ChronosDragon, tWoolie, and Sciscitor!
:shock: Holy ch*rp, where did all this ketchup come from? Pardon me while I backtrack through the recent posts in a post-holidip stupor...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

I don't know why the UK version was in dollars too.

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:eta: ooo, who's doing the new time after time?

The $64,000 question...

For £38901 and sixpence, it's totally me.

It's not me
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

The ketchup is big.

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am UTC

Baobabishly creepy epilogue poem, ergman!
Wingish collage, Kieryn!
mittagleffler! It's treeish to see you again! :)

Dracomax wrote:Okay, I get back from the holidips, and see that after 10 dips, (or one decadip, if you prefer) there have only been 8 new pages. Not sure whether to be relieved or worried. I think I'll settle on relieved, and choose to believe that everyone else was gone for the holidips as well.

The holidips for OTTers are like one long extended weepend, when the Outside's calls are strongest.

AluisioASG wrote:
This one is actually the first from the batch. Took me quite some time. The variation in the last stanza wasn't originally intended, but I guess I can't help but be attracted by BlitzGirl's evil side like a moth to a frame.
Spoiler:
Initiation

We're made of pixels and lines
And we've been reshaped to the image of the Ones
We've been recreated from the ground up
And we're all unique and redundantly equal
We're waiting for darkening pix
Spotting running molpies on the ground
We're watching slow-changing comiques
Separating water from the ground

Heeding orders written on the Sea
Waited, ran exactly as we're told
Theorizing, explaining what we'd seen
Looked at a time beyond our own
And now that we decide what will become
Flames we will burn to the ground
Chanting in unison the one true song
You we will turn into one of us

Frames we draw, molpies we hunt, we're the One True Thread
We've become followers of GLR, we're the One True Thread
This is our Thread, this is our Time, we're the One True Thread
We've become followers of GLR, we're the One True Thread
Frames we quench, molpies we hunt, we're the One True Thread
We've become followers of BOB, we're the One True Thread
This is our Trench, this is our Time, we're the One True Thread
Flames we draw, molpies we burn, we're the One True Thread
Flames we chase, molpies we burn, we're the One True Squad
We've become minions of BOB, we're the Controlled Ones
She is our Queen, she is our Girl, she's the First BlitzGirl
Flames we make, molpies we are, we're the One Molpy Army

:twisted: Muahahahaha... I mean, this is very molpish! :mrgreen: As are the others! You've been a busy ottifier, Aluisio!

balthasar_s wrote:<snip> But I must understand everything! (just one everything) I must know where all these words came from. I will read it and find out!
Yes! The OTT is definitely a worthwhile everything to understand! Image May your blitz be fruitful, balthasar!
And keeping on eye on both present and past is just as molpish as any other way to blitz. Schizoblitzing has been useful to other OTTers before.

mscha wrote:
PANIC!

Time has stopped!
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png redirects to http://c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time, which is then supposed to redirect to the current frame URL. But since about 7:00 UTC (2 am RST), this times out on all three IP addresses for c.xkcd.com.
This happened once before, see the gap on the epilogue page on 22/23 October. Let's hope time restarts soon this time as well...

But I just noticed that
Spoiler:

EDBADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC

EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED

You mean there was m*stard while I was away on my drive? And I missed my chance to PANIC! ? Awww. :(

But yay, something OTC-RELATED has changed! I was afraid that might never happen again. If the Sequence of the Oughts has changed, perhaps the other sequences have changed too, which means new rhyme schemes all around! Molpish!

Next question: why? Is the content of the epilogue sequence also based on the current Outside date? Did the switch from 2013 to 2014 trigger an automatic change? Was the epilogue sequence always meant to change yiply, or was this a recent decision by GLR? (My guess is it's all in the Javascript, which tries to get away with trickery because it thinks we won't notice it.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: I don't know why the UK version was in dollars too.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 am UTC

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

The $64,000 question...

It's not me

For a million dogecoin, I'd do it. Really. Anyone got a million dogecoin? (kinda serious, mostly now).

taixzo

Re: Boababs the fora were very steambottled!

Postby taixzo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:My sig actually had nothing to do with the secret message. Actually I added that a while after post 3000. My dogecoin address is mainly there just to generate interest in dogecoin. Money-sending isn't really necessary :P. Although that is kinda what the point of the system is. Rather, it's for making transations in general, not for sending me money in particular. It's not like I need a few cents :P Extra warning: online wallets generally aren't such a good idea due to security concerns. Some have been hacked so you may not want to use one.

I've been rather disillusioned with the current cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin, while an interesting concept, should never have become the first one to hit the net. Dogecoin compensates for some of its flaws but is too injoke-y to ever really catch on.

That being said, I would totally go for a hypothetical MolpyCoin, mined by playing the Hotdog.

Indeed! I would have all of my computers mining MolpyCoins! And then be very rich ten yips in the future.

mscha wrote:
PANIC!

Time has stopped!

But I just noticed that

EDBADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC

EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED

Perhaps they encode the date in some format, and the latter half is the year? We should see whether the sequence changes again in 2015.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 am UTC

tWoolie wrote:

Welcome, Revealer the Recent!
Have you been lurking all along, or have you arrived here recently?
Either way, you're here now, so feel free to join in as you see fit.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:

EDBADECBCBAECBDADCDCDBED

Ever on time marches
Doing what ever it wants
Based on GLR knows
And we just think we see patterns,
Deliberation in it's jaunt.

Even ere the end it marches
Carried by the sand and sea
By the resonant seeds it sows
Carried on by you and me
Buried in my mind it glows
And in each creation burns.

Echoing madly, still it marches;
Consistent inconsistency
Black and white humble pixel rows.
Deliver Cuegan; gaunt;
Around them the sea churns
Doing whatever it wants:
Catalyst, and allegory:
Depressing mortality haunts.
Challenged only by the
Dependent servers, taunt,
By a comic that still shows

Endlessly it marches,
Defiantly it flaunts.

Treeish! Not only does it use the cycle as the rhyming pattern (well, more or less...), but also acrostically. And it is poetic, and molpish, and tells a related story as well.

BlitzGirl wrote:But yay, something OTC-RELATED has changed! I was afraid that might never happen again. If the Sequence of the Oughts has changed, perhaps the other sequences have changed too, which means new rhyme schemes all around! Molpish!

I'm assuming it will, but we'll ... (never mind, you know what's coming)

BlitzGirl wrote:Next question: why? Is the content of the epilogue sequence also based on the current Outside date? Did the switch from 2013 to 2014 trigger an automatic change? Was the epilogue sequence always meant to change yiply, or was this a recent decision by GLR?

Good questions.

What do we know?

Apparently, the GLR wants the epilogue to be a “seemingly random” sequence of the 5 post-**d frames. Why not really random? Well, there are three servers which handle the redirect from time.png to the actual frame, and these need to do the same thing.
So, apparently, He (or His minions) came up with a function that turns a timestamp (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS) in UTC into a frame number (0..4, or A..E as we use). (That the input is a UTC timestamp, and not, for instance, a timestamp in EST/EDT, or the number of seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00, follows from the moments that the patterns change.)
Obviously, minutes and seconds don't play a role in this function (since we get the same frame for an entire nopix). Up to the new yearheretical, we thought that the only parts of the timestamp that were used, were the tens digit in the day, and the hours (in other words: the uppercase letters in yyyy-mm-Dd HH:mm:ss). Even that was not completely true, there are two exceptions per month: yyyy-mm-10 00:mm:ss and yyyy-mm-30 00:mm:ss, which always give frame D instead of the expected one.
Now we know that the year also plays a role in this function. Or perhaps only the last digit of the year, but we'll have to wait until 2020heretical to find out. So, perhaps it's the uppercase letters in yyyY-mm-Dd HH:mm:ss. Still with the above two exceptions, of course.

So all we need to do is to come up with a function that does this. (Preferably an elegant one, so not one with cycles and exceptions hardcoded.)
Ideally, this is done before 10 January, and it'll correctly predict the 2014 versions of the Sequence of the Tens and the Sequence of the Twenties. (Alternatively, before 20 January and only predict the Sequence of the Twenties.)
Whomever does this, wins the Epilogue, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand why the logic is (apparently) so complicated, though. There'd be much easier ways to accomplish this (a predictable, seemingly random sequence). Easiest would probably be something like:

function currentEpilogueFrame()
{
    srand(int(time() / 3600));  # seed randomizer based on hours after 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
    return 'A'+int(rand(5));
}

BlitzGirl wrote:(My guess is it's all in the Javascript, which tries to get away with trickery because it thinks we won't notice it.)

Given the most recent information, it's more likely to be Haskell. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

STRONGER...
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

mscha wrote:[...]
Now we know that the year also plays a role in this function. Or perhaps only the last digit of the year, but we'll have to wait until 2020heretical to find out. So, perhaps it's the uppercase letters in yyyY-mm-Dd HH:mm:ss. Still with the above two exceptions, of course.
[...]

Waiting for it until 2020? Hell yes!
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Re: I don't know why the UK version was in dollars too.

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

The $64,000 question...

It's not me

For a million dogecoin, I'd do it. Really. Anyone got a million dogecoin? (kinda serious, mostly now).

Does kickstarter allow dogecoin goals? cause I'd back that...if I had any dogecoin....
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 pm UTC

Is the there anything useful on davean's Github? He did some commits about the time of time. I can't really be a detective todip as we have visitors here.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

waveney wrote:Is the there anything useful on davean's Github? He did some commits about the time of time. I can't really be a detective todip as we have visitors here.

It's all gibberish (gitterish?) to me, but it doesn't look RELATED.

ETA: Mobile mustard
It normally handles that newpix like a steak.

Rarely redundant redundance:
Spoiler:
Screenshot_2014-01-03-13-33-30.png
The redundant way.png
He/Him/His Image

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

HES wrote:
waveney wrote:Is the there anything useful on davean's Github? He did some commits about the time of time. I can't really be a detective todip as we have visitors here.

It's all gibberish (gitterish?) to me, but it doesn't look RELATED

A related change he did about the time of time was to implement 1024 bit skein hashing in haskell - so now we know how the images are hashed (not that it helps much)

ETA:

A few months later (just before T** **D He is doing this:

AtomKind{} -> formatTime defaultTimeLocale "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ" ct
    RSSKind{}  -> formatTime defaultTimeLocale "%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S GMT" ct
    RDFKind{}  -> formatTime defaultTimeLocale "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ" ct

This was part of large change he did to davean / feed

RELATED
Last edited by waveney on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Molpy: MOLPY: "Bacon"

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

I would have understood it better if every third word was "bacon" and the rest were "molpy".

Unfortunately, the same applies to the outside work I'm supposed to be doing right now...
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

Re: 1024bit: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:31 pm UTC

waveney wrote:A related change he did about the time of time was to implement 1024 bit skein hashing in haskell - so now we know how the images are hashed (not that it helps much)

Maybe now we can find the first hash?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
waveney wrote:A related change he did about the time of time was to implement 1024 bit skein hashing in haskell - so now we know how the images are hashed (not that it helps much)

Maybe now we can find the first hash?

Problem is: we still don't know what is being hashed, or even if something is being hashed.
It's not the contents of the file, since images have been changed after they were initially ONGed, and the ‘hash’ remained the same.
So maybe it's the release timestamp of the frame. But at least in one occasion, when frames were being released too soon, they appear to have been taken out of commission, but the ‘hashes’ of these frames weren't re-used, so they can't simply be a hash of the release time.
I still believe the ‘hashes’ aren't hashes, but simply random strings.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It's not the contents of the file, since images have been changed after they were initially ONGed, and the ‘hash’ remained the same.

Not to mention the various identical frames, such as the blackouts.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

COMONGLES...
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Re: NPB does subject lines too!

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:COMONGLES...

The beesnake on the bush goes round and round,
Round and round,
Round and round,
All dip long...
He/Him/His Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:06 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
january1may wrote:H okay, okay, "riverish" - though that makes it sound a lot bigger than it probably is

Well, if riversish is small, I guess creekish would be tiny. I'm enjoying your blitz reports, january1may!

Apparently, the OTTers of the period did describe the Tiny River in various terms, including "creek" (I might or might not eventually get there in my blitz report). In the OTC, it is not referred to in any way other than as the Tiny River (the word "tiny" is used a few other times, but all of them also involve rivers).
I suppose a true OTTer (particularly one of a few mips ago) would've got around by saying the thing in question is 10. With that in mind, I propose "tenish" :D (though in the context of my original post, that could've been misunderstood as "close to the number 2x5").
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:30 pm UTC

HES wrote:

Round and round,
Round and round,
All dip long...

Dizzy beesnakes sound like dangerous creatures.

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Next question: why? Is the content of the epilogue sequence also based on the current Outside date? Did the switch from 2013 to 2014 trigger an automatic change? Was the epilogue sequence always meant to change yiply, or was this a recent decision by GLR?

Good questions.

What do we know?
Spoiler:
Apparently, the GLR wants the epilogue to be a “seemingly random” sequence of the 5 post-**d frames. Why not really random? Well, there are three servers which handle the redirect from time.png to the actual frame, and these need to do the same thing.
So, apparently, He (or His minions) came up with a function that turns a timestamp (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS) in UTC into a frame number (0..4, or A..E as we use). (That the input is a UTC timestamp, and not, for instance, a timestamp in EST/EDT, or the number of seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00, follows from the moments that the patterns change.)
Obviously, minutes and seconds don't play a role in this function (since we get the same frame for an entire nopix). Up to the new yearheretical, we thought that the only parts of the timestamp that were used, were the tens digit in the day, and the hours (in other words: the uppercase letters in yyyy-mm-Dd HH:mm:ss). Even that was not completely true, there are two exceptions per month: yyyy-mm-10 00:mm:ss and yyyy-mm-30 00:mm:ss, which always give frame D instead of the expected one.

So all we need to do is to come up with a function that does this. (Preferably an elegant one, so not one with cycles and exceptions hardcoded.)
Ideally, this is done before 10 January, and it'll correctly predict the 2014 versions of the Sequence of the Tens and the Sequence of the Twenties. (Alternatively, before 20 January and only predict the Sequence of the Twenties.)
Whomever does this, wins the Epilogue, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand why the logic is (apparently) so complicated, though. There'd be much easier ways to accomplish this (a predictable, seemingly random sequence). Easiest would probably be something like:

function currentEpilogueFrame()
{
    srand(int(time() / 3600));  # seed randomizer based on hours after 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
    return 'A'+int(rand(5));
}

Molpish analysis, mscha! I suppose I need to start stockpiling small candies now if we're going to be Waiting until 2020H.

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:(My guess is it's all in the Javascript, which tries to get away with trickery because it thinks we won't notice it.)

Given the most recent information, it's more likely to be Haskell. Image

Did anyone notice the Haskell?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Re: Time After Time

Postby ergman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

-- posted by newpixbot

So these plants... we've seen them all before? Have the mystery ONGs been completely siphoned (extremely well, I might add) from the OTC, or is there some original art going on?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Re: Time After Time

Postby HES » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

ergman wrote:So these plants... we've seen them all before? Have the mystery ONGs been completely siphoned (extremely well, I might add) from the OTC, or is there some original art going on?

Good point, they look new to me.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”