1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

We'll reach the top soonG
There is a top!
Also, 2636:

What's on the top?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It's wipend, so Jigsaw Time!
<snip>
(60:47)

I saw your time, and figured I'd be at it all dip, but it only took me Car Talkand part of Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

How can you be sure you've seen the top? Most hills I climb repeatedly tease you with false peaks.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

HES wrote:How can you be sure you've seen the top? Most hills I climb repeatedly tease you with false peaks.

Obviously I didn't get enough coma last night, because somehow my brain turned this into a ribald analogy.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0293

Postby mscha » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

NONLONGUAGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

Nonlonguage is right, newpixbot... it's quite quiet here on the wipend.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Nonlonguage is right, newpixbot... it's quite quiet here on the wipend.

Perfect time to finish that ketchup in your Location
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

That's true, there's always ketchup...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Deja vu!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Hmm, "Oof" is used a lot in the OTC. Perhaps it needs to be made into a footnote along with "neat" and "wow" and other such often-used words.
ChronosDragon wrote:Just watched the Buffy musical episode (S6E07: "Once more with feeling") and now I feel like singing everything. Say, where is the OTC soundtrack out right now? Is it too early to request a couple singy musical numbers? :D

Well, we have one... ;)
mscha wrote:It's wipend, so Jigsaw Time!

For all us former Madagascarists, here's:

(60:47)

Treeish! 41:54.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Hmm, "Oof" is used a lot in the OTC. Perhaps it needs to be made into a footnote along with "neat" and "wow" and other such often-used words.

Perhaps just as ugh is steambottlish, oof may be hillish, since the word is usually associated with hills.

wowtrees are so wow in leaf
the hills are oof and dull our grief...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

Alright, so Hillish = Oof... not to be confused with Duneish (bigger than they looked)* or Mountainish (Further away than they looked).

*Not to be confused with Dunejumpish (Fun)... What do you mean, OTTish is confusing?
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

My disjointed ketchup continues. Here's the post I started two dips ago. Or maybe it was one dip.
ttscp wrote:There was the Toba eruption, where humanity got down to as few as 40 reproductive females (I assume they back traced mitochondrial DNA to get to that conclusion). Given my dating history, I would have been turned down by every eligible woman in the world.

:( Aw, that's so sad!
I've read a couple of your essays and really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing them here.

ucim wrote:Lotta raptor and squirpy action in those trees - whoever is doing these, besides being a loopist (or just loopy), has put a lot of avianicity into it.
Jose

Avian City would be an interesting place to hang out. You'd probably need to carry an umbrella at all times, though. And not sit under trees.

HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:The NewpixbOTTification software is ready!
(http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info/pro/npb/npb.htm)

Cool. [plug type="shameless"]But URL too long.[/plug]

"newpixbottification.chirpingmustard.com" isn't a great deal better...

Easier to remember, though.
Thanks for the newpixbOTTification, balthasar, and lovely colorification. Good luck with your bicycle blitz!

I really enjoyed the sharing of holidip traditions, as well as the ideas for Landing Dip festivities.

MistyCat wrote:I'm in a very good mood ready to celebrate this coming new year. Tonight I shall celebrate. Not only do I intend to carve an extra thick slice from my left-over Christmas baked bean, I'd like to share a few sandcastles with all the winners on this forum.

It's not the least I could do, but what the ch*rp, I'm a cat. I'm just not going to spend the extra effort working out how to do something less.

OK, just a tiny bit of effort.

Thanks for the sandcastles, MistyCat, and for the effort. :)

ergman wrote:I'm in an ottercomical mood:
Spoiler:

Nice OTTercomic, ergman, and treeish though endish epilogue poem. I didn't notice the acrostic till someone pointed it out. I'm so unobservant. :oops:

Nice auld lang OTTy, SBN!

BlitzGirl wrote:Steambottle, Time zone trickery threw me off. When OFP9001 posted, it was only (2am on Dec 31st)H my Time, or 22 whole nopix before the new yip. It's still 16 nopix before the new yip, here.

Oh, and I'm happy the basement has a bar, though I'm concerned that may make it even more attractive.

Also, once they get down there, they get drunk and can't make it back up the stairs.

Thanks for the Othercomic explanations, folks. But all the discussion about quantum physics just entangled my brain. :?

Good opening of our show last night, and good opening night party. Drank too much and stayed out waaaay too late. Now I have to decide whether to ketchup, clean up my house, or coma. I guess ketchup won't take too long, since the postrate is still pretty unraptorish. :( Where is everymolpy? The holidips are over. Of course, I haven't been around much, so who am I to talk?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Where is everymolpy? The holidips are over. Of course, I haven't been around much, so who am I to talk?
I'm here!

Though I probably shouldn't be...
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ucim wrote:Lotta raptor and squirpy action in those trees - whoever is doing these, besides being a loopist (or just loopy), has put a lot of avianicity into it.

Avian City would be an interesting place to hang out. You'd probably need to carry an umbrella at all times, though. And not sit under trees.

And not bring any flutterbees with you.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 am UTC

SO, I looked at the clock (Outside clock, that is) and saw how late it was, so I decided to do a quick ketchp. There was much molpishness, as always, but because I still want to take a mini-coma, here are just a couple of things:

tWoolie wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Haskell is a "pure" functional language, and it's known for being very purist and functional but not very usable and very rarely deployed in a commercial application.

Haskell is a very usable language. People write all kinds of useful programs in it every day.
<snip snip>

Thanks for posting, tWoolie! Hope to see more of you.

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:eta: ooo, who's doing the new time after time?

The $64,000 question...

For £38901 and sixpence, it's totally me.

It's not me

You had me for a minute, HES. Til I saw the tiny text.

TAT is really cool. Nice artwork, whoever's doing it. Can('t) wait to see what's at the top of the hill.

Jose, is that really you flying that plane?

CD, is that really you attacking that plane?

For the mid-page decree: I'm always losing my keys. Probably because my house is always a mess. As soon as I set my keys, or anything else, for that matter, down, it is lost in a black hole of stuff. I need one of those things that you clap and you keys make a noise.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: I need one of those things that you clap and you keys make a noise.

What happens when that thing is subjected to a round of applause?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0294

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:30 am UTC

GONGLIONIC...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 am UTC

And I wonder if it's the thin air that causes their dialogue to show up so much larger that we're used to...

Edit for blitzers: at time of writing, the frame looked like this:
Spoiler:
The large text was apparently mustard, and has been fixed a bit later. (Same with t1i-0290 through t1i-0294.)
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 am UTC

mscha wrote:And I wonder if it's the thin air that causes their dialogue to show up so much larger that we're used to...

Makes sense: thinner air, breathing harder, light-headed author misjudges...

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote: I need one of those things that you clap and you keys make a noise.

It makes so much noise it destroys a berm and triggers a flood.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

I think it just explodes. So, it's no good anymore, but at least you know where it is.

mscha wrote:And I wonder if it's the thin air that causes their dialogue to show up so much larger that we're used to...

Yes, it's a well-known fact that thin air causes fonts to look larger than normal.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re:

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:42 am UTC

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Where is everymolpy? The holidips are over. Of course, I haven't been around much, so who am I to talk?
I'm here!

Though I probably shouldn't be...

I'm here too. With a mopey wolpy, as her favorite person is gone again. Not sure when I can take her there. I either have to wait a few wips, or go just for a wip and come back here again for another couple.

lmjb1964 wrote:
For the mid-page decree: I'm always losing my keys. Probably because my house is always a mess. As soon as I set my keys, or anything else, for that matter, down, it is lost in a black hole of stuff. I need one of those things that you clap and you keys make a noise.

We had one of those keychains for my daughter, but the wolpies kept setting it off, as well as other random noises, so it was just annoying. What works for me is always setting them in the same place. Of course, anything that doesn't have a specific place to be set down is at risk of entering the black hole of stuff. Also, my husband just asked me where he put something in the house he's in, and I'm not. Nope, can't help with that. Usually I can find things when I'm actually where the things are. Not good at finding things from 4 states away.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

HES

Re: Re:

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 am UTC

SBN wrote:What works for me is always setting them in the same place. Of course, anything that doesn't have a specific place to be set down is at risk of entering the black hole of stuff. Also, my husband just asked me where he put something in the house he's in, and I'm not. Nope, can't help with that. Usually I can find things when I'm actually where the things are. Not good at finding things from 4 states away.

My mother has the ridiculous skill to locate misplaced items from the other end of the country (I can't really compete with a 4-state distance) over the telephone. I guess she knows her children better than we do.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:55 am UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Okay, who traveled in Time and left a key-clapper there?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 am UTC

No time travel needed, apart from the usual kind. lmjb just lost her keys again...

While it may sound like I'm blaming a fellow OTTer for the Zanclean flood, it was really the fault of the Beanish theatre's rendition of "The Empire Strikes Bag" and the resulting applause. Rosetta didn't have the heart to mention it.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:06 am UTC

HES wrote:"The Empire Strikes Bag"

In which Rosetta turns out to be Cueball's father, and Megan was his sister all along (awkward!)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:"The Empire Strikes Bag"

In which Rosetta turns out to be Cueball's father, and Megan was his sister all along (awkward!)

Rosetta as Megan's mother, and Cueball the secret twin brother for a true gender-flipped version. LaPetite as the adorable rogue.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Jose, is that really you flying that plane?
That's me in the pilot's seat, last winter. We were due to fly to the Dominican Republic but the scheduled captain was late, and this is the result. I'd never actually flown this particular make and model before.

We did not run into CD on that flight. Based on the photo he posted, that was probably fortunate.

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
... and gets seaweed all over the kettledrums.

HES wrote:My mother has the ridiculous skill to locate misplaced items from the other end of the country (I can't really compete with a 4-state distance) over the telephone. I guess she knows her children better than we do.
When I was in college, I would visit a friend in his dorm room, and at some point I'd need something I had put down (shoes, whatever) and had no idea where I put it. I'd ask him, and he's know. I thought it was just my brain being under a pressure of minus 14 atmospheres* but when he came to my room, he did the same thing. He was clueless and somehow I always knew where whatever-it-was was. Go figure.

Keys, however, are not one of the things I tend to lose.

Jose
*You have to put 14 atmospheres into it before you get a vacuum.
edit: math
Last edited by ucim on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HES

Re: 1190: "La Ball"

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Rosetta as Megan's mother, and Cueball the secret twin brother for a true gender-flipped version. LaPetite as the adorable rogue.

Are you shipping Cue-Petite now?
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Rosetta as Megan's mother, and Cueball the secret twin brother for a true gender-flipped version. LaPetite as the adorable rogue.

And Lucky as LaPetite's large hairy sidekick!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:13 am UTC

HES wrote:

Are you shipping Cue-Petite now?

LaCuetite! Only when they're a little older, though. At Time's **d I don't know if that relationship passes the standard creepiness rule barrier.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:LaCuetite! Only when they're a little older, though. At Time's **d I don't know if that relationship passes the standard creepiness rule barrier.
Ni ni ni chihuahua ping pong ball!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:17 am UTC

Yeah, the CuePetite age gap is an issue...

And hmm, when Cue is captured by Jabba the Molpysnake, will he be made to wear a revealing gold jockstrap?

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:21 am UTC

HES wrote:No time travel needed, apart from the usual kind. lmjb just lost her keys again...

While it may sound like I'm blaming a fellow OTTer for the Zanclean flood, it was really the fault of the Beanish theatre's rendition of "The Empire Strikes Bag" and the resulting applause

Darn it! Well, at least I know where they are now. Might be difficult to retrieve them from the bottom of the Mediterranean tho.

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Jose, is that really you flying that plane?
That's me in the pilot's seat, last winter. We were due to fly to the Dominican Republic but the scheduled captain was late, and this is the result. I'd never actually flown this particular make and model before.

We did not run into CD on that flight. Based on the photo he posted, that was probably fortunate.

I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.

Well, off to the pit, where hopefully I won't have to pick seaweed off of the kettledrums.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 am UTC

HES wrote:No time travel needed, apart from the usual kind. lmjb just lost her keys again...

While it may sound like I'm blaming a fellow OTTer for the Zanclean flood, it was really the fault of the Beanish theatre's rendition of "The Empire Strikes Bag" and the resulting applause. Rosetta didn't have the heart to mention it.

Those are some good batteries.
HES wrote:My mother has the ridiculous skill to locate misplaced items from the other end of the country (I can't really compete with a 4-state distance) over the telephone. I guess she knows her children better than we do.

Four states isn't really a fair way to describe it, since going the same distance in a different part of the country could be all in one state. I think Google calls it a 7 hour drive, more or less. In any case, I generally have to be where the things are, because my brain refuses to articulate where things are. I'll be able to picture where something is, and get up and go to where it is, and pick it up, but somehow if my brain is holding the picture of where something is, it can't form the sentence to tell someone else.

Some Ways to Time

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 am UTC

what-if title-text 1 wrote:Babies are a little less than a quarter of a molp rat long

This analogy I've unleashed reminds me how funny this wips title texts were.
Last edited by HES on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And hmm, when Cue is captured by Jabba the Molpysnake, will he be made to wear a revealing gold jockstrap?

As far as we know, he's already naked. I'm not sure how much more revealing a jockstrap would be.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:25 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, off to the pit, where hopefully I won't have to pick seaweed off of the kettledrums.

"Off to the pit" makes it sound like you're either a coal miner, or going to a metal gig :P

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.

It's super easy, way less effort than driving.

Apart from the landings.

And the takeoffs.

And the dragons.

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Well, off to the pit, where hopefully I won't have to pick seaweed off of the kettledrums.

"Off to the pit" makes it sound like you're either a coal miner, or going to a metal gig :P

Or a coal miner going to a workplace metal gig

Are we being chased by a raptorcat or something? The pace has been third-commandment-ish!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 am UTC

HES wrote:Are we being chased by a raptorcat or something? The pace has been third-commandment-ish!

You know what they say, you don't have to be more raptorcattish than the raptorcat, you just have to be more raptorcattish than the other OTTers it's chasing.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:34 am UTC

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.

It's super easy, way less effort than driving.

Apart from the landings.

And the takeoffs.

And the dragons.

Well, if it's anything like flying with real flappy wings, it's just a matter of solving a few simple differential equations in your head to get the flight path. And don't worry, we only engage enemy planes...though our definition of "enemy" is kind of dependent on how hungry we are.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”