1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 am UTC

SBN wrote:Four states isn't really a fair way to describe it, since going the same distance in a different part of the country could be all in one state. I think Google calls it a 7 hour drive, more or less. In any case, I generally have to be where the things are, because my brain refuses to articulate where things are. I'll be able to picture where something is, and get up and go to where it is, and pick it up, but somehow if my brain is holding the picture of where something is, it can't form the sentence to tell someone else.
I will often forget what it is I am looking for, right after I start looking for it. I can think all I want; it won't come back to me. But, if I actually go back to where I was when I decided to look for it, the whole thing comes back.

lmjb1964 wrote:I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.
Flying is really cool! In college I was bicycling around and bumped into an airport, so thought I'd take an intro lesson. That was fun, and it turned out there was a flying club at school, so I joined. (Alas, my timing was off and I was waitlisted, but it all worked out). It's also not as expensive as it seems (but do get most of your training money together before starting, so that you don't have to interrupt your training!). Mainly I fly single engine four seat airplanes, (I'm licensed as single engine land) so since the plane in the photo is a multi-engine aircraft, I couldn't actually use all the engines. At least not at once.

It's one of the newer models - a Boeing DC-14. Airbus makes them.

As to the photo, everything I said in the prior post is true. While we were on the ground waiting for the tardy captain, I got to chatting with the co-pilot, and he invited me into the cockpit. This was quite a treat - they don't usually let you do that. So, he took a few photos, and then when we were in the air (and I was back in coach) I took some photos of the clouds, and Gimp'd them together.

eta: Hmmm... Pope again. Getting to be a regular thing. What is it that you would love to do, but are a bit scared of?

Jose
Get high on gasoline - fly an airplane!
Last edited by ucim on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:39 am UTC

And with that, I must molpy down. I'm going to be a busy hamply the next few wips...
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:Are we being chased by a raptorcat or something? The pace has been third-commandment-ish!

You know what they say, you don't have to be more raptorcattish than the raptorcat, you just have to be more raptorcattish than the other OTTers it's chasing.

Or able to just hop in the seaish sea or riverish river and out-swim them!
ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.

It's super easy, way less effort than driving.

Apart from the landings.

And the takeoffs.

And the dragons.

Well, if it's anything like flying with real flappy wings, it's just a matter of solving a few simple differential equations in your head to get the flight path. And don't worry, we only engage enemy planes...though our definition of "enemy" is kind of dependent on how hungry we are.

"Real flappy wings" is the actual technical term, by the way.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:51 am UTC

ucim wrote:Get high on gasoline - fly an airplane!
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:Are we being chased by a raptorcat or something? The pace has been third-commandment-ish!

You know what they say, you don't have to be more raptorcattish than the raptorcat, you just have to be more raptorcattish than the other OTTers it's chasing.

Or able to just hop in the seaish sea or riverish river and out-swim them!

Sea molpies certainly would have the advantage if the pursuer was the seaish sea instead of a raptorcat.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 am UTC

HES wrote:And with that, I must molpy down. I'm going to be a busy hamply the next few wips...

May the things you study be the same as the things on the exams, and may your storage and recall of the items work together as needed to maximize the correctness of your answers.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:Mainly I fly single engine four seat airplanes, (I'm licensed as single engine land) so since the plane in the photo is a multi-engine aircraft, I couldn't actually use all the engines. At least not at once.

It's one of the newer models - a Boeing DC-14. Airbus makes them.

I wanted to be a pilot when I was a kid. Even took a few lessons. It's certainly a lot of fun, but I decided I didn't want to make a career of it since it would mean traveling continuously which would leave little time for a family.

Instead I decided to be an aeronautical engineer, which leads me to a question: What the heck is a Boeing/Airbus DC-14?

The closest thing I can think of is a Boeing DC-9-14, but that isn't made by Airbus. Actually, it was made by McDonnell Douglas, but Boeing bought them and killed the name.

Anyway, it must have been upgraded fairly recently. Those all glass cockpits are really neat.

ucim wrote:As to the photo, everything I said in the prior post is true. While we were on the ground waiting for the tardy captain, I got to chatting with the co-pilot, and he invited me into the cockpit. This was quite a treat - they don't usually let you do that. So, he took a few photos, and then when we were in the air (and I was back in coach) I took some photos of the clouds, and Gimp'd them together.

I'm jealous. Here in the US if I got within 15 ft of the cockpit I'd be called a terrorist, taken down by an air marshal then interrogated for hours until the feds were properly satisfied that I didn't want to blow up the plane with my 4oz tube of toothpaste.

Seriously though, that's a cool experience. The closest I've come to handling those sorts of controls was a F-22 fighter simulator that was brought into my office for show and tell. Unfortunately, they couldn't fly the real thing in for us to look at.

ucim wrote:Get high on kerosene - fly an airplane!

Fixed that to match the pictured aircraft for ya.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:59 am UTC

HES wrote:

It's super easy, way less effort than driving.

Apart from the landings.

And the takeoffs.

And the dragons.

I have taken several lessons, and am on my way to getting a license; I can confirm that landings are scary, but takeoffs really aren't. You just put it to full throttle and pull back a bit when the needle tells you to.

As for dragons - they generally avoid my plane. Not sure whether they see it. Are dragons colorblind?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0295

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:30 am UTC

ONGLISTICS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 am UTC

Oh hey, Cueball found a replacement dilgunnerang somewhere.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:51 am UTC

slinches wrote:It's certainly a lot of fun, but I decided I didn't want to make a career of it...
Well, I didn't make a career out of it either. I'm not a limosine driver either, but I do have a driver's license. :)

I fly for fun and to get places. The latter is sometimes limited by weather (i.e. small planes do not handle icy clouds very well, and I live where it's not uncommon)

slinches wrote:which leads me to a question: What the heck is a Boeing/Airbus DC-14?
It's kind of like an IBM DEC-tape, or a Dell iPad. I didn't realize that Boeing bought McDonnel Douglas; that mustards up the joke a bit. I don't actually know what kind of plane it was (though I could probably find out by looking through my airline tix).

taixzo wrote:I have taken several lessons, and am on my way to getting a license; I can confirm that landings are scary, but takeoffs really aren't. You just put it to full throttle and pull back a bit when the needle tells you to.
It's kind of hard to miss the sky. But you can, if you try hard enough!

Push forward, the houses get bigger.
Pull back, the houses get smaller.
Keep pulling back, the houses get lots bigger!

It's also kind of hard to miss the ground, but it's nice to be able to reuse the airplane afterwards.

slinches wrote:
ucim wrote:Get high on kerosene - fly an airplane!
Fixed that to match the pictured aircraft for ya.
Yeah, I thought of that, but I don't actually get high on kerosine. The planes I use need 100LL, which is going out of style.

It would be fun to get high on helium too. Hot air is an ok substitute, but noisy as chirp.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:It would be fun to get high on helium too.

Obligatory Othercomicness:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

Every Day is a Wowtreeful Day to Be a Bot

Postby mrob27 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 am UTC

Every Day is a Wowtreeful Day to Be a Bot
Time-Capsule from Robert Munafo, Origin: Newpage 982
Do not open until Newpage 1688

It seems like quite a long Time since I've done a proper blitzreport. Let's see... Oh dear, Newpage 918. Yes, that was quite a long time. Well, let's see...

Concerning the Adventures of Megan and Cueball

Spurred on by the raptorcat, hoping to get medical help (perhaps in the form of a witch-doctor) our little stick-figure friends are continuing upmountain towards the as-yet-unknown structure, and have arrived at a spot where they feel it is safe to sleep, albeit only one at a time. We saw a beautiful sunset, with the dying rays of the setting sun lighting up the sky in a brilliant tapestry of gray, darker gray, and not-quite-so-dark-gray, and re-igniting (hopefully for the last time) speculation about whether the prior 2400 frames of the comic might have somehow all taken place in a single day.
    Then of course, we got stars. Those OTTers who favor the more... creative explanations are still clinging to various Randallverse theories, but I think most have (perhaps silently or grudgingly) accepted the notion that the story is taking place on a real actual planet that is within, say, a few billion miles of the Sun.
    The next part was something I enjoyed immensely, and had been looking forward to for most of my Quest. Those willing to assume that said planet was in fact Earth, had an extended, step-by-step and occasionally somewhat contentious debate about whether, and how, we can use the stars (and planets) to figure out where and when Curgan are. Eventually, as you know, an answer was found, but it took quite a while to arrive at a workable set of deductive steps to turn the observations into a date and terrestrial latitude.
    The development and testing of OTT theories about the astronomy of the OTC followed a course that I'm sure was fairly similar to the evolution of real-life astronomy over thousands of years. Most OTTers were not familiar with important concepts like parallax, proper motion, circles of equal declination, axial precession, the gradual lengthening of the mean solar day (Delta-T), and other more obscure factors; nor in what order the evidence should be examined. It was fun watching it all get worked out. The basic fact of the OTC being somewhat over 10000 years in the future was hypothesized remarkably quickly, based on moved stars and a missing Antares.
   After most of that was worked out, the meteor sequence (frames m2440a through m2440e) gave us a chance to find out that we are collectively able to get all the frames, even if they come very quickly.

Other Goings-On in the Past

There were too many treeish song OTTifications to mention. "Time Oddity" by @AluisioASG is particularly notable for being given in the subject lines of his posts starting with this post and continuing through to NP 993 (where you'll find the whole thing). For fun, the whole lyrics were given at the start, in an OTP cypher for those who like puzzles.

Several more bits of the OTT culture as we know it fell into place, with the first spoilered redundakitty, and the first batch of GIF smilies by yappobiscuits. Having reached the GIF smilies, I have now added mrob27 smilies to my signature. Also, "molpy up" became a thing, and "Ch*rp" is an asterisk-worthy expletive.

@charlie_grumbles returned, for now at least. (Since I spent time in the Present before starting the blitz, I know he is fated to leave again. But, I dare say that would be easy to guess.)

Some Correspondence With the Present

It was mentioned that othercomic 1311 might be a bit tough to OTTify because good quotes might require a manual search. I offered my detailed travelogue as a useful resourceU, and here is a particulary 1311ish example, from @ergman on NP 921:
they will meet an old wizard on top of the mountain who will magically heal their wounds. Then he will tell Cuegan to go and collect two of each molpy species, and bring them to the top of the mountain. They will hide their from the rising sea, as a mountain is the farthest they can get from sea level. just when all seems lost, LaPetite will drift by on the top half of their sandcastle and they will all get on and sail around the world

Puzzlemaster @AluisioASG noted "JavaScript be blessed" concerning my linkful Chronogram on NP 1656. I knew it would be a bit tedious to follow all the links, but I'm happy if you found a way to make a puzzle out of it. For anyone who didn't bother following links, the first 23 are my selected favorites from the attached images in the first 857 pages of the OTT, and other eight are pretty obvious from their URLs (they're articles and OtherOtherComics about spectacular plants and animals).
    @AluisioASG also expressed :shock: at my again-mention of cancer; the backstory is in my posts here and here.

U It's a UTF-8 text file, but my server tells the browser it's ASCII, resulting in mojibake :? I'll try to fix that somedix when I'm bored...

Concerning Bots (Good, Bad, and Spammy)

What if someone built a bot and forgot to tell it that it wasn't human? This has been used a lot in sci-fi but I don't seem to watch those sort of movies. Anyway, apparently I might be a bot, so I suppose things are going to get a bit interesting around here, as the other bots and I and Timborme debate who gets to fly the TARDIS.
    @balthasar_s notes that his blitz would be aided by a bot, and indeed, I find life in the TARDIS to be a lot more fun with our shipboard robots and computersE. I wouldn't blitz without them.
    I don't think the OTT takes a lot of space -- the current HTML (nearly 1700 pages) is just about 42 MiB when compressed. You don't have to scan the whole thing for your name of course, just the last bit, whatever that is. For an active OTTer like you I'd say you could scan the last 10 newpages or so -- of course it depends on how long you go without checking it. nopixbot's parsing is pretty complex, but that's because I convert the entire OTT to my own markup language. To just find names is very simple.
    Each post starts with a <div class="content"> and ends with a <div id="sig1234567" class="signature"> or a <dl class="postprofile" id="profile1234567">, except that the digits "1234567" will vary. Within the post, find anything starting with < and ending with > and replace it with a blank space, and you've effectively extracted the text of the posts. You can add refinements later.
    Perhaps nobixbot can generate a report for you until you get your bot running. He actually wants to visit, and we've got a TARDIS so why not? He can't ride a bicycle (is it easier in the lower lunar gravity?) but I hope that's all right.

The server was looking pretty good for a while there, until the heretical new year:

Not a great time to be decomad by imagebot, in her characteristic (distinctly unemotional and creepily GlaDOSish) voice:

imagebot-mustard-alert.mp3
imagebot telling me the 503s are back
(22.19 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

Server has been mustard for a while

Alas, not all bots are good bots. These servers we call home keep getting spammed, and sadly, I've had to bring out the OTT503ifications again. Since the OTT is inaccessible I post them to the Facebook group, but they're all here for those who wish to see all the frames:

This last spell of m*stard was bad enough that Timborme and I decided to spring for a new OTTimeter, the kind that detects both polarities of mustard, and with nighttime molpy detection:

Perhaps it will be useful to you in the Future.

-- mrob27

E identify the source of this quote: Man and machine share in the stimulating exchange of . . . aaaaaghh!
Spoiler:
20140101-fora-stats.png
imagebot's stats as of 2014-01-01

Digital-OTTimeter.jpg
My brand new OTTimeter. Detects mustard of both polarities!

Edit: Correct parsing algorithm description to handle sigless posts.
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0296

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 am UTC

VARYONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:52 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:E identify the source of this quote: Man and machine share in the stimulating exchange of . . . aaaaaghh!

Sadly didn't recognize it on my own, but Google tells me this is a line from the original Hitchhiker's Guide radio series.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mrob27 wrote:E identify the source of this quote: Man and machine share in the stimulating exchange of . . . aaaaaghh!
Sadly didn't recognize it on my own, but Google tells me this is a line from the original Hitchhiker's Guide radio series.

The OTC needs a contradictory radio version.

SBN wrote:
HES wrote:And with that, I must molpy down. I'm going to be a busy hamply the next few wips...
May the things you study be the same as the things on the exams, and may your storage and recall of the items work together as needed to maximize the correctness of your answers.

Thanks for the well wishes, SBN. It's usually the second part I struggle with, though this time the teaching was so vague there are some exams that I have no idea what they expect me to study. And they're new this year, so no past papers :x The only reason I'm not completely panicking at this stage is that I've specialised to a point where I actually enjoy and understand the subject.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

ucim wrote:eta: Hmmm... Pope again. Getting to be a regular thing. What is it that you would love to do, but are a bit scared of?

Hmm, dunno. I'll have to think about that. I just wanted to throw an idea out there for those of you, who, like me, are still trying to come up with a New Year's resolution to pursue. Back in 2004, I made my second best New Year's resolution ever: to do 12 things that scared me. I didn't succeed - I think I got up to 10 or so - but I still remember 2004 as my Year of Doing Scary Things - it was a great year. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0297

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

SCANDALMONGERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And I wonder if it's the thin air that causes their dialogue to show up so much larger that we're used to...

Apparently, it wasn't the air, but the mustard, as the frame has now changed.

Original:
Spoiler:
Current:
Spoiler:
Difference:
Spoiler:

Looks like t1i-0290 through t1i-0294 got updated.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

I suppose it shouldn't be remotely surprising that the TATA* reads the thread. (Nice job, by the way)

*Time After Time Author
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0298

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

GAPONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

Time for a Weekend WhOTT-ification
Image 7
+ Image 4
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 pm UTC

Awesomeful, HES! To giant children, all T-rexes would be molpylike! Image
Also excellent mustard-spotting, mscha.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:28 pm UTC

I was actually thinking of LBB with a compy, but either way works.

Oops
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

HES wrote:I was actually thinking of LBB with a compy, but either way works.

Oops

That is likewise molpish. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
haskell1.png
haskell1.png (13.23 KiB) Viewed 10372 times

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:28 pm UTC

Welcome back, Kit! Treeish OTTercomic!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0299

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

LONGERIE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

Looks like newpixbot is a cuegan shipper, too. Hi Kit! A slightly heretical OTThercomic, but steakish none the less.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Well, off to the pit, where hopefully I won't have to pick seaweed off of the kettledrums.

"Off to the pit" makes it sound like you're either a coal miner, or going to a metal gig :P
Or a coal miner going to a workplace metal gig

:D Probably not good to have a metal band playing in a coal mine. Might cause the mine to collapse.

BlitzGirl wrote:

So, heads up OTTers, do not be around BlitzGirl when you're being attacked by a raptorcat. She'll just take off and leave you to be eaten. :)

ucim wrote:As to the photo, everything I said in the prior post is true. While we were on the ground waiting for the tardy captain, I got to chatting with the co-pilot, and he invited me into the cockpit. This was quite a treat - they don't usually let you do that. So, he took a few photos, and then when we were in the air (and I was back in coach) I took some photos of the clouds, and Gimp'd them together.

eta: Hmmm... Pope again. Getting to be a regular thing. What is it that you would love to do, but are a bit scared of?

You are so tricksy!

I think skydiving would be kinda cool, but I'm pretty sure I will never do it.

Ahhh! Cute overload!
Good luck with the test, HES!

yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Well, if it's anything like flying with real flappy wings, it's just a matter of solving a few simple differential equations in your head to get the flight path. And don't worry, we only engage enemy planes...though our definition of "enemy" is kind of dependent on how hungry we are.

"Real flappy wings" is the actual technical term, by the way.

Sounds like something a redneck would say. "Yep, them are some real flappy wings ya got there."

taixzo wrote:I have taken several lessons, and am on my way to getting a license; I can confirm that landings are scary, but takeoffs really aren't. You just put it to full throttle and pull back a bit when the needle tells you to.

As for dragons - they generally avoid my plane. Not sure whether they see it. Are dragons colorblind?

Wow, we have a bunch of pilots here!

ucim wrote:Push forward, the houses get bigger.
Pull back, the houses get smaller.
Keep pulling back, the houses get lots bigger!

I had no idea it was so simple. Here I thought you had to take a bunch of classes.

Kit. wrote:Image
Spoiler:
haskell1.png

Nice to see you, Kit. And with a steakish OTTercomic!

Great post, mrob. Love the OTTimeter. Looks like a handy device. I think I missed Aluisio's Space Ottity. That was awesomeful. Oh, that reminds me that I have a seaish post of his to respond to.

But I'm off to the pit again.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

So, heads up OTTers, do not be around BlitzGirl when you're being attacked by a raptorcat. She'll just take off and leave you to be eaten. :)

The key is to get the raptorcat to make a pun, then she'll stop to punsaw it. Problem solved.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:So, heads up OTTers, do not be around BlitzGirl when you're being attacked by a raptorcat. She'll just take off and leave you to be eaten. :)

She's probably the one who let the thing loose in the first place. Can you imagine how she'd react if someone said goodbye through a pun?

lmjb1964 wrote:Good luck with the test, HES!

Thanks! Though it's plural. Seven. Steambottle.

Back to work...
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

The key is to get the raptorcat to make a pun, then she'll stop to punsaw it. Problem solved.

Indeed. BlitzGirl is to punsaw as Megan is to thwapstick. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

I hear it's a little chilly in parts of the US right now. Make sure you wear a beanie if you go out... (Let's be honest, who would want to go Outside anyway?)
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0300

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 am UTC

COATONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 am UTC

MmmmmMMM, what a hearty ketchup! Some nice Ottifications, and that star wars, gender-swapped crossover works way too well.
for anyone interested in what is sort of the opposite of waiting for it, there's a charity-for-cancer game-speedrunning marathon going on: http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

for pope: a thing I always wanted to do but am scared to? spaaace! Not that I'll likely ever have the opportunity anyway.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I think skydiving would be kinda cool, but I'm pretty sure I will never do it.

That was the first thing I tackled in my Year of Doing Scary Things. I did it the easy way, where you're strapped to someone who is big and knows what he's doing. I recommend it!

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Good luck with the test, HES!

Thanks! Though it's plural. Seven. Steambottle.

Last night I had two bad dreams. One was the classic: that I had exams, and I didn't even know I was supposed to have been attending classes. Cram, cram, cram. Stupid physics....
I blame you, HES.
Regardless, Good luck!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:58 am UTC

ggh wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I think skydiving would be kinda cool, but I'm pretty sure I will never do it.
That was the first thing I tackled in my Year of Doing Scary Things. I did it the easy way, where you're strapped to someone who is big and knows what he's doing. I recommend it!
Jumping out of an airplane strapped to a baobab does not sound like a good idea.

Jose

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:04 am UTC

Depends on how seaish the baobab is, I suppose.

HES wrote:I hear it's a little chilly in parts of the US right now. Make sure you wear a beanie if you go out... (Let's be honest, who would want to go Outside anyway?)

It was actually a beautiful day here in Seattle - usually when there's unmolpish weather afoot elsewhere in the U.S., things are wingish here.
I visited two different Outside parks, and will now duly sit in the comfy chair. Image So comfy.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Depends on how seaish the baobab is, I suppose.
Jumping out of an airplane strapped to a baobab that can do whatever it wants to does not sound like a much better idea. :)

Jose

HES

Re: 1190: "Time to stop editing and actually post"

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:13 am UTC

ggh wrote:Last night I had two bad dreams. One was the classic: that I had exams, and I didn't even know I was supposed to have been attending classes. Cram, cram, cram. Stupid physics....
I blame you, HES.
Regardless, Good luck!

Apologies, I hate those coma visions :( I tend to get them from at my parents', where I'm 300 miles from where I would need to be and couldn't possibly make it. Despite this inevitability, I was quite pleased to finish my "last ever" exams last yip (Lost 111 pages of ketchup to those). Alas, I'm on the kind of career path where I will have exams for all eternity. And I don't think I'll ever get the hang of revising early.

Thanks Jose for a pre-coma chuckle.

He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”